• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

careful

In Terminal TDM, I find that the majority of the time, the team that starts out at the bottom of the stairs ends up winning (assuming the team doesn't completely suck). Getting control of the top of that tower early makes it pretty tough to push forward from the other side since you get such a good view of all flanking positions.

Same for Estate with the team that starts next to the house.

And Rundown to a lesser extent with the team that starts next to the villa.

Since everyone else is, I'll post my current stats. Cell phone quality ftw.

15j7gp.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
LittleTokyo said:
Well the weapon balance debate is an entirely different discussion. My point is pretty obvious though, and you've both agreed with me, then contradicted yourself for the sake of arguing. You're basically suggesting that someone who has played for 5 minutes has the same abilities as someone who has played for 5 hours, or 5 days. I'm suggesting the guy who has played for 5 days has more skills, defined as "the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well."

Map skills aren't going to do SHIT in CoD, because:

a) You don't pick up weapons from a silly peashooter like most shooters. You start with two weapons of YOUR CHOICE.
a.5) because of this, there is no need to pick up weapons unless you run out of ammo (and don't have Scavenger). This isn't Quake 3/UT99/etc. where you HAVE to run over a weapon to pick it up and get a better advantage.
b) Map skills aren't useful except to get to some places other players can't or to flank. The person that has played longer has a slight advantage on that front. But it shouldn't take more than maybe five-ten minutes of playing a personal/private game to run around the map and explore it.

To suggest you have not gained more skill in 8 days of play is to suggest the game is rather shallow, imo.

But CoD is shallow
! To suggest it takes "skill" in CoD for most things is pretty laughable. The game practically encourages camping to get Nukes and killstreaks. "Skill" comes in from running around and quickly taking down players with three-four bullets.

Again: CoD kills are fast. It's a matter of aim-shoot. There is barely any "skill" involved with the multiplayer. I'm sure I'll be ate alive for this, but think about it. Map control isn't important except in S&D/Sabo/HQ and that's to CAMP the spots to kill other players. Compared to Q3/etc. where you have to run laps around the map to control the Quad/BFG/etc.

Let's not even get into the slightly unbalanced (and terrible, but slightly less encouraging camping) maps.

Mileena

Banned
Alright I'm about to say "fuck it" to my k/d. It has dropped from 1.92 to 1.80 from letting my brother play and playing hardcore HQ which is just noob tube fest. I miss CoD4 already.

todahawk

TheSeks said:
Map skills aren't going to do SHIT in CoD, because:

a) You don't pick up weapons from a silly peashooter like most shooters. You start with two weapons of YOUR CHOICE.
a.5) because of this, there is no need to pick up weapons unless you run out of ammo (and don't have Scavenger). This isn't Quake 3/UT99/etc. where you HAVE to run over a weapon to pick it up and get a better advantage.
b) Map skills aren't useful except to get to some places other players can't or to flank. The person that has played longer has a slight advantage on that front. But it shouldn't take more than maybe five-ten minutes of playing a personal/private game to run around the map and explore it.

But CoD is shallow
! To suggest it takes "skill" in CoD for most things is pretty laughable. The game practically encourages camping to get Nukes and killstreaks. "Skill" comes in from running around and quickly taking down players with three-four bullets.

Again: CoD kills are fast. It's a matter of aim-shoot. There is barely any "skill" involved with the multiplayer. I'm sure I'll be ate alive for this, but think about it. Map control isn't important except in S&D/Sabo/HQ and that's to CAMP the spots to kill other players. Compared to Q3/etc. where you have to run laps around the map to control the Quad/BFG/etc.

Let's not even get into the slightly unbalanced (and terrible, but slightly less encouraging camping) maps.

I know, I feel so dirty right now. I just played Domination on Afghan with my RPD (grip & FMJ) with stopping power and ninja. Started the match innocently enough. Got 3 kills making my way from C to B and stopped in the bunker on the way to A. Got 2 cheap kills, sniped 2 guys at the mouth of the cavern to get my Predator. Got a double kill with it on two guys advancing on C. Got my Harrier which got me to 9. The urge to camp and get to my Chopper Gunner was overwhelming. Popped two more guys at the mouth of the cave, laid down in the bunker and got my CG. Finished my run right as we got to 200 points... other team had maybe 20 or 30. I finished 18-0....

I'm such a hypocrite! :(

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
TheSeks said:
But CoD is shallow
! To suggest it takes "skill" in CoD for most things is pretty laughable.

Sure. The game takes no skill at all. Why don't you just join in the MLG community and play against the elite CoD teams? Easy money right? It's so easy.

Had a weird moment playing 3rd person CTF on Favala. We just came out of Half Time with my team spawning on the lower section of the map, so I go shooting up the street with my marathon/Lightweight Vector class build toward the top street where the enemy flag is located. I come whipping around the corner and see the entire enemy team standing stock still in formation like they're still waiting for the game to begin, so I do the only natural thing to do in that situation: I chucked my Semtex at them, swiped their flag, and ran like hell! I'm halfway down the street towards my teams flag when I get a ton of points and "Multi-kill!" pops up. I can only guess that for some reason the game decided to cheat in my favor. I'm glad I had my speakers turned off, I can only guess what those guys must've had to say about that! :lol

Here we go again, people thinking that MLG players are hot shit when they are not. Listen I'm pretty sure if he played Call Of Duty for twelve hours a day he would be amazing also. There are tons of people who don't play the game nearly as much and they do well for themselves. MLG does not equate to skill it equals time invested.

Case said:
Can someone explain to me what the hell is the point of Handguns? Theyre extremely weak and don't have much range either. What advantage do they gave over Machine Pistols and Shotguns? Other that using the Tac. Knife with a speed class, the seem kinda useless to me.
Akimbo 44 magnums are pretty deadly. They look pretty awesome too, unlike 1887 akimbo. I really like to get them out when I know some guy is going to be turning a corner. I really like to use them in close quarters instead of using an assault rifle. You can also switch to them faster than if you have a shotgun or machine pistol in secondary. I've been killed so many times when I tried to switch to a shotgun for close range, but you just can't switch to it fast enough.

S t y l e z said:
Here we go again, people thinking that MLG players are hot shit when they are not. Listen I'm pretty sure if he played Call Of Duty for twelve hours a day he would be amazing also. There are tons of people who don't play the game nearly as much and they do well for themselves. MLG does not equate to skill it equals time invested.
Well i'll agree with you to an extent. There is skill, hand-eye coordination that you naturally need to have in order to be the very best. Obviously CoD makes things rather simple in that it doesn't take all that much to kill a guy. But even those who play all the time aren't necessarily good, and people who barely play arent necessarily bad.

What i have to say is that the skill based on aiming-shooting isnt the biggest factor in CoD, much like other games. I've always found it as part luck, part shooting skill, and the biggest factor of all is what you're doing at the time, in terms of moving around the map, flanking, where you are relative to the other team and your team, etc.

jiien

So the people that have good K/D ratios, that's all luck, right? They just happened to walk across people and just happened to pull the trigger faster?

CoD tends to be heavily twitch-based. But to say that it takes absolutely no skill to play is just silly. It takes still to APPLY your lightning reflexes. Hell, most of my kills aren't because of twitch. I know how to manipulate people into thinking I'm somewhere else, flanking them, adjusting my aim for the recoil of my gun, communicating successfully with teammates about where enemies are, where they are likely to be, and where they are likely moving. And knowing the map, that's also a skill. I know where people like to camp, specific chokepoints and how to approach them from different directions. Hell, even simply knowing when to shoot and when not to is a SKILL. Give away my position? Or perhaps move to a better position first, and then fire? Judgement has a lot to do whether you live or die in this game. Which path do I take? How long do I hold this point? Etc.

Time played adds greatly to all of these things. I played WaW first, and when I first started, I was absolutely horrible. Just really bad. I ended my career in that game with a 1.3 K/D, but I must have started with a 0.4, or something. Now, playing MW2, I maintain over a 2.0, easily. Because I've played the game a long time. The more you "practice" this game, the better you'll get. Pretty simple.

Oh, and map control is one of the most important things you can have in TDM. If you believe otherwise, you haven't played with a decent group of people. You don't truly understand what it is to dominate in this game until you get a group of friends that fucking OWN a map. It takes really good communication, and flawless teamwork, but my teammates have gone 7500-500 in TDM before. We've taken the time to go into private matches, and identify by name all the key landmarks on all maps, so when we die, or see something, everyone else knows immediately. But seriously, map control is very important. Holding key areas can win you games, as you'll restrict the movement the enemy can have to a few areas, which are easily watchable.

Bisonian

I was hoping someone could answer some quick questions for me about the quality of play online for a few of the versions. I've been borrowing the PS3 version from a co-worker and have been really enjoying the multiplayer a lot more then I thought I would. I'd like to pick up a version for myself and my options are the PS3 and the PC.

I have a powerful enough PC to run the game as I'd want to run it, and while I would prefer mouse/keyboard I've been playing around enough with the PS3 version that controller is not a deal breaker. What I'm specifically looking for advice on is how are the online communities for both systems? I'm really looking for a cheat-free, hack-free experience (or at least as much as possible).

Has this Prestige hack that I've been reading about on PS3 really killed the integrity of the experience? Do people still run around on the PC with console cheats enabled? Does the reduced player size on the PC affect the overall experience? Anything else on either platform I should be aware of? I'd be looking to really spend some time trying to advance through everything multiplayer has to offer, so these are the things that will most influence my decision.

All advice and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bisonian said:
I was hoping someone could answer some quick questions for me about the quality of play online for a few of the versions. I've been borrowing the PS3 version from a co-worker and have been really enjoying the multiplayer a lot more then I thought I would. I'd like to pick up a version for myself and my options are the PS3 and the PC.

I have a powerful enough PC to run the game as I'd want to run it, and while I would prefer mouse/keyboard I've been playing around enough with the PS3 version that controller is not a deal breaker. What I'm specifically looking for advice on is how are the online communities for both systems? I'm really looking for a cheat-free, hack-free experience (or at least as much as possible).

Has this Prestige hack that I've been reading about on PS3 really killed the integrity of the experience? Do people still run around on the PC with console cheats enabled? Does the reduced player size on the PC affect the overall experience? Anything else on either platform I should be aware of? I'd be looking to really spend some time trying to advance through everything multiplayer has to offer, so these are the things that will most influence my decision.

I own the PS3, version so i can make clear comments on that. Anything PC wise, i'm basing off speculation and guessing. Anyway, the PS3 seems to get the patches first, and IW has kindly put those patches out in a timely matter. Most games you'll play now are generally glitch/hacker free. The Prestige hack is honestly a non-issue. The hack itself has been patched, and really the only problem that it has caused is that annoying player who cheated his way to Prestige 10, and tries to brag about it. Also, that player (from what i've seen) is usually not very good at the game.

As for the PC edition, i suspect there would be plenty more hackers/cheaters, just based on how online games work on the PC. Also there's that whole thing with how Activision is cheating PC gamers out on whatever, so there's a backlash most likely caused by that.

In short, if you dont mind the PS3 controller next to a KB/M, i would definitely recommend it as a great option. It's turned out quite nice (one negative factor i forgot to mention is most of the people lack headsets, but i guess you won't be missing out on people just yelling profanities into the mic). Other than that, i assume the communities to be quite similar, other than PC, where i would assume it would be easier to make hacks, etc.

Man I got one more star to go in spec ops, high explosive. I just beat wet work on vet and I got this one left but it just makes me so angry sometimes. I'm doing it solo and I'm not gonna resort to using the house/corner thing. I got down to 3 at one point but it seems like the game loves to spawn another one behind my back while I'm taking one or two others on. Grr.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nah, I don't run into hackers very often on the PC version (maybe run into two so far?). People don't talk much on their mics, let alone talk shit and whatnot. I enjoy the community a lot.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
TheSeks said:
Well, the Spec-Op missions I have left are:

Bravo:
Body Count (I'm trying to save this for last, as it's easy in theory)

Charlie:
Homeland Security
Snatch and Grab

Delta:
Wardriving
Terminal
Estate Takedown

Echo:
Wetwork
High Explosive
Armor Piercing

Anyone that wants to help my cripple ass through these on PS3, do send me a PM. I'm thinking of doing them around 7PM EST tonight.

Prefer someone that doesn't mind playing Spec-Op and only spec-op until we clear these. >_> Viper's gone off into the wild blue multiplayer. And I want to get these done quickly. :/

Mikey Jr.

TheSeks said:
Prefer someone that doesn't mind playing Spec-Op and only spec-op until we clear these. >_> Viper's gone off into the wild blue multiplayer. And I want to get these done quickly. :/

I did wetwork by my self. Not too hard. I can give you tips if you want.

Armor piercing is easy as shit to solo. Seriously.

I love it when objective based games end up being a close match until the end. Everyone seems to just work together more when there close. Just had some really good games of Demolition and Capture the flag where we either lost or won by 1 point.

X26

Banned
Had a ~10 game streak of great matches where I was consistenly gettign 20+ kills and less than 10 deaths. What was I rocking? F2000 and Vector! Underdog guns can be good too, y'know

That and my SCAR stealth class, but that's irrelevant

Minamu

Big thanks to everyone who have stopped using cold-blooded in Hardcore Headquarters :lol I think I got close to 20 kills with my sentry guns tonight. It was awesome holding down the greenhouse on Estate by placing two sentries back-to-back, army of two style :D

And of course, inside the pillars on Underpass...

whitehawk

Banned
Why can't IW add an 18 person free for all mode?

I just played one of those glitched games. The only glitch was that is was 18 people on highrise, free for all.

It was AWESOME!

careful

X26 said:
Had a ~10 game streak of great matches where I was consistenly gettign 20+ kills and less than 10 deaths. What was I rocking? F2000 and Vector! Underdog guns can be good too, y'know

That and my SCAR stealth class, but that's irrelevant
Nice. That's pretty impressive. I never gave the F2000 much of a chance after one horrible game. And I find the Vector too weak even with the high rate of fire. I haven't seen anyone do real good with these weapons yet, so props for that. Any tips you might have for those two?

Narag

eternaLightness said:
I love it when objective based games end up being a close match until the end. Everyone seems to just work together more when there close. Just had some really good games of Demolition and Capture the flag where we either lost or won by 1 point.

God yes. One of my favorite MW2 moments was a domination match getting my killstreaks sniping/guarding C on Afghan and being able to pin down the enemy with an AC-130 so the rest of my team could advance and win.

punkypine

could someone clarify the patch situation for me? i've been looking around and thanks to infinity ward's shitty website, its impossible to tell whats going on... patch notes via twitter? wtf

it updated on my 360 today, but i dont think anything changed? i haven tplayed in a few days, so was that the javelin fix? any eta on 1887s nerf and private match thing?

Lince

Banned
Case said:
Someone actually argued this game requires no skill? :lol

here, this game requires no skill.

grab the host, use your UMP + Marathon + Lightweight + Commando pro class, camp around the objectives, Predator + Harrier + Chopper or Harrier + Chopper + Nuke.

WIN.

X26

Banned
careful said:
Nice. That's pretty impressive. I never gave the F2000 much of a chance after one horrible game. And I find the Vector too weak even with the high rate of fire. I haven't seen anyone do real good with these weapons yet, so props for that. Any tips you might have for those two?

Yea vector is weak, but rapid fire compensates for it, best attachment for the gun. I use it with as the primary for my knife class, and it works out well.

F2000...well it does kind of suck, weak with a bunch of recoil, but I think it's fun to use

Is there a specific month ouside of "spring" for the first map pack? I really really want more maps, I hope they do more than one map pack this time too. Treyarch did what, 4?

Theres another one called infected. Works the same way only the knifer gives it to you.

Terrordactyl said:
Is there a specific month ouside of "spring" for the first map pack? I really really want more maps, I hope they do more than one map pack this time too. Treyarch did what, 4?

I'm guessing April. Thats when the COD4 map pack came out.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Terrordactyl said:
Two DLC releases are already confirmed. I wouldn't be surprised to see three or more, though.

the_zombie_luke said:
I've been killed so many times when I tried to switch to a shotgun for close range, but you just can't switch to it fast enough.

True dat.

X26 said:
Yea vector is weak, but rapid fire compensates for it, best attachment for the gun. I use it with as the primary for my knife class, and it works out well.

Same :)

Xevren

I'd rather see a massive matchmaking change or something. This is the first CoD I've ever really put any time into and it's stupid that levels don't mean shit when getting matched up. Going up against a stack team of people who are all on their 4th prestige while I'm the highest on my team at level 54 is RETARDED! I'm decent but we flat out did not stand a chance and those types of games should not happen. This game has the worst matchmaking I have ever played in a shooter.

G0DLIKE

Bisonian said:

Get the PC version. If it wasn't for the fact that I've got several local friends to pwn, I wouldn't even touch the 360 version. The 360/PS3 controllers just don't have the precision of a mouse (obviously) and the lower resolution of the console versions makes me feel like I'm playing in fog. Also, Steam is a pretty ace.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Does Danger-Close pro increase the speed at which a UAV scans?

Xevren said:
I'd rather see a massive matchmaking change or something. This is the first CoD I've ever really put any time into and it's stupid that levels don't mean shit when getting matched up. Going up against a stack team of people who are all on their 4th prestige while I'm the highest on my team at level 54 is RETARDED! I'm decent but we flat out did not stand a chance and those types of games should not happen. This game has the worst matchmaking I have ever played in a shooter.
Well if you're playing TDM, might i suggest choosing Mercenary, where no groups are allowed. Anything else, you're on your own unless you get a good group of friends to play with. The matchmaking at this point just puts good connections together, i'm pretty sure. Otherwise, matching by something like K/D ratio might be difficult for the higher ratio people to get a game.

Xevren

FromTheFuture said:
Well if you're playing TDM, might i suggest choosing Mercenary, where no groups are allowed. Anything else, you're on your own unless you get a good group of friends to play with. The matchmaking at this point just puts good connections together, i'm pretty sure. Otherwise, matching by something like K/D ratio might be difficult for the higher ratio people to get a game.

I do play Merc TDM when I'm by myself, the problem is when I play with a buddy of mine who is 10 levels lower then me and we go up against teams who have all prestiged it just makes things basically impossible. I tend to play the game pretty casually and going up against the hardcore just makes me turn off the game faster.

Top Bottom