• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

careful

DuckRacer said:
Estate is terrible because it's extremely one-dimensional (who camps the house, wins), it heavily favors camping (see previous point), and the Spetsnaz are automatically at an advantage since they spawn by the house and can pick off people at the bottom of the hill when the match begins. It's like Creek, except it's even more one-sided toward whoever is at the top of the hill.

Derail also sucks, if only because it's way too big. I've never seen a team reach 7500 points in regular TDM. In Ground War it's OK, though. Wasteland is completely terrible, unless you say fuck it and bring a noobtube class to the bunker.
Agreed completely.
In general though, the more I play the maps, the more I find there's no standouts (with a few terrible maps). I hope we can get some of the good COD4 maps like Crossfire, Overgrown, Crash, Vacant, and Backlot.

backflip10019 said:
Seriously Infinity Ward? Patch the fucking game on 360 already. The last five games that I entered have all been custom games. What the fuck? Just patch it already for fuck's sake. I just want to play normal matches. Is that too much to fucking ask for?

To be fair to IW they already released the patch in a very small amount of time too especially around Xmas. Its MS Cert process that we have to wait for. Which was like 3 extra days or something with the last patch? Hopefully soon!

It is annoying getting loss after loss because you have to quit all these fucking kids games that are just trying to boost all their exp on Rust. My Win percentage has gone down a considerable amount, not like that stat even fucking matters since it puts me in losing games that are practically over ten times a night. They really should focus on adding something in a patch where you don't join a game that is more than half over in terms of score or time.

Minamu

Well, that was a weird match. I searched for HC S&D, got normal TDM, it becomes Ground War, the voice says hardcore free-for-all, something I don't think even exist at all (so why's there a voice for it?), the enemies consist of both rangers & militia as expected, though the scoreboard says TDM & no kills count towards winning the match. It was like every possible glitch all on one map :lol

jiien

DuckRacer said:
Estate is terrible because it's extremely one-dimensional (who camps the house, wins), it heavily favors camping (see previous point), and the Spetsnaz are automatically at an advantage since they spawn by the house and can pick off people at the bottom of the hill when the match begins. It's like Creek, except it's even more one-sided toward whoever is at the top of the hill.

Derail also sucks, if only because it's way too big. I've never seen a team reach 7500 points in regular TDM. In Ground War it's OK, though. Wasteland is completely terrible, unless you say fuck it and bring a noobtube class to the bunker.

I dunno, I agree that it's one dimensional in the sense that all the action pretty much happens at the house, but it's not hard to get up that hill. It's so steep in some places that they can't actually see you from the house. You just have to not charge up that main road.

Also, personal experience says that it's the people, not the maps, that promote never reaching the score limit on TDM. While the smaller maps do make it easier, because there's less running around to do, I think it really just depends on the overall play style of those in game. If both teams like to watch specific parts of the map, and sit still, then you're unlikely to hit the score limit regardless.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Cerrius said:
Just watched this Future Weapons bit on the ACR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJhPMIVgF6c

Really starting to fall in love with this gun in-game.

The ACR is absolutely beastly, I love it. When I prestiged I founded it immensely difficult to leave the M16, ACR, and M240 behind. I went for the M16 initially, having not played CoD4 and being used to the BR in Halo, so the 3 round burst really suited my style. After watching some vids I tried out the ACR to find it was fantastic, and obscenely accurate. I do my best to pick them up whenever I can.

I'm enjoying my Famas grinding until I can get it again =\

PS: Estate blows.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Does anyone else think that Sub Base really screws over the Navy SEALs team? The black wetsuits really make you stick out, compared to the white outfits that the Spetsnaz have.

Every time I play on that map as the SEAL team I don't do very good. I feel like I'm getting killed because of visibility. When I play as the Spetsnaz team, I do normal.

Maybe it's just my luck and I get my "off games" when I play on that map as the SEALs... but I dunno.

Narag

My latest complaint is without a doubt teammates walking into my line of fire.
Line up a nice shot, pull the trigger, shoot teammate in the ass and only get partial damage on the enemy. What the hell?

jedimike

mYm|17| said:
man, i've been rockin the UAV again. Definitely helps me out alot

Me too... mainly I equipped them to get the "1000 UAV's called-in" challenge, but I find my game has improved with them on. The majority of people have stopped using cold blooded, so the UAV is valuable again.

My favorite killstreak reward is Pavelow. I usually get more kills with that than I do with more "expensive" killstreak rewards like AC130 or chopper gunner.

As far as maps go, the more I play, the less preference I have. I used to dislike wasteland and estate but now I am fine playing them. My favorite maps are Karachi and Rundown.

jedimike

SpacLock said:
Yeah, there's been multiple times when I've been shot through cracked glass by some stranger across the map with iron sights. There's absolutely no way he could have seen me, but he did. Even in the kill cam he couldn't see shit. I just think that sometimes the glass is most likely shattered on their screen while it's still intact on yours. Most likely caused by some kind of netcode shit that I know nothing about.

Once you know the maps, you know where people will likely be looking out windows. Sometimes I'll shoot a few rounds at windows even though I can't really see if anyone is there. Every now and again I'll get a kill. Even when I don't connect with anyone, it's a good fishing technique because some dumbass will decide to take a look through that window I just shot out.

jiien

noire said:
Totally agree. I was thinking about that the week before last. I think it's true of every level (one team is better camouflaged), but no where as bad as that level.

I disagree, but can't offer more than my personal experience in response :( Anyway, if you guys are having trouble, try to not focus on key corners and stuff, rather than just looking briefly for color changes at the ends of long corridors.

Anyway, the opposite of your experiences can be true too; the black works well in the dark indoor warehouse areas, as opposed to the white.

mattso

I think Estate is the hardest map to be the attackers on in demolition. With a half competent team the A point in the house is near untouchable. It seems the only hope is if they actually try and defend B when you plant the bomb there to run in and plant A at the same time. Although it seems most people don't even bother defending B since A is so easily defended.

How does the game pick who gets to defend on overtime? Depending on the map being an attacker on overtime pretty much means you lost.

Meier

So I was in a Rust (Dust?) Dom match earlier that had our team over 1000 points but it just never ended. Destroyed my K/D ratio :(

Yeef

I've warmed up to most of the maps. I still think COD4 has much better maps, but there aren't any maps that I flat out hate now. There are very few maps that are good regardless of the mode though. Lots of the maps are terrible for Demolition and ground war is too hectic for a lot of the maps. I used to play Ground War more than any other playlist, but after switching to normal-sized games I've noticed a huge reduction in how much I've been spawn killed and other crap like that and my ratios are a lot better.

UFRA

While playing HC Search and Destroy today I came across 2 guys boosting on my team.

It was brilliant, because with ricochet friendly fire, I ran right in between the guy shooting his friend with the shield and he died. :lol

I got all sorts of messages from the two about me being a dick and what not.

Throughout the remaining rounds, I kept standing right in front of the shield guy so he couldn't boost. Justice served!

Idiots.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
jedimike said:
My favorite killstreak reward is Pavelow. I usually get more kills with that than I do with more "expensive" killstreak rewards like AC130 or chopper gunner.
The pave low is deadly because of how low to the ground it flies. If you're playing on a map other than Wasteland, you pretty much have to be right underneath to try and take it out with a missile, as there's probably buildings and stuff in your way otherwise. Half the time you'll probably die trying to take it down.

RavenFox

Banned
UFRA said:
While playing HC Search and Destroy today I came across 2 guys boosting on my team.

It was brilliant, because with ricochet friendly fire, I ran right in between the guy shooting his friend with the shield and he died. :lol

I got all sorts of messages from the two about me being a dick and what not.

Throughout the remaining rounds, I kept standing right in front of the shield guy so he couldn't boost. Justice served!

Idiots.
lol well done. To many asshats running around.
vatstep said:
The pave low is deadly because of how low to the ground it flies. If you're playing on a map other than Wasteland, you pretty much have to be right underneath to try and take it out with a missile, as there's probably buildings and stuff in your way otherwise. Half the time you'll probably die trying to take it down.
I remember the first week of launch I got a pavelow in Wasteland. Enemy team was dying left and right. Dude on my team was like 'what the hell is going on?' I said that's my pavelow just clean up the rest of them lol. Good times.

mYm|17|

dude this matchmaking is fucking pathetic.

I keep getting tossed out of my party all the freakin time while waiting in the lobby for a game

Man, I just discovered how awesome Hardcore Team Deathmatch is. I also discovered one of the best setups for it. All you need:

AUG HBAR w/ Grip

Sleight of Hand
Cold-Blooded
Steady Aim

You can basically snipe with this thing. It's so great. :D

You can also swap out Sleight of Hand for Bling just so you can have a sight on the AUG if you want. The reload time isn't insanely long like the other LMGs.

careful

Procarbine said:
The ACR is absolutely beastly, I love it. When I prestiged I founded it immensely difficult to leave the M16, ACR, and M240 behind. I went for the M16 initially, having not played CoD4 and being used to the BR in Halo, so the 3 round burst really suited my style. After watching some vids I tried out the ACR to find it was fantastic, and obscenely accurate. I do my best to pick them up whenever I can.

I'm enjoying my Famas grinding until I can get it again =\

PS: Estate blows.
M4 is almost the same as the ACR.
Same damage, but slightly faster rate of fire for slightly more recoil (it's still almost laser-like).

FAMAS and M16 have even less of a difference.

I could probably get by fine with the guns available at start if I prestige. What I would miss most is the Stinger and Cold Blooded to handle air support.

Fyrus said:
Does anyone else think that Sub Base really screws over the Navy SEALs team? The black wetsuits really make you stick out, compared to the white outfits that the Spetsnaz have.

Every time I play on that map as the SEAL team I don't do very good. I feel like I'm getting killed because of visibility. When I play as the Spetsnaz team, I do normal.

Maybe it's just my luck and I get my "off games" when I play on that map as the SEALs... but I dunno.
For TDM, I find the advantage is the other way around. 99% of the action is happening on the side of the warehouse, tunnel and power station, where the black outfits blend in to the dark rooms.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I meant to add the GAFers I was playing with but I think Grimmjow disbanded the party or I got disconnected. I'm sure they're still on my recently played.

GT:pankaksreborn, incase you guys wanna add me.

gibonez

Banned
Mw2 is really enjoyable, but man it has some of the worst multiplayer maps ever. Underpass, karachi, derail,favela,high rise, wasteland, sub base and scrap yard are all terrible crappy maps with no real direction. All of these maps also reward Assault Rifle and shotgun campers meanwhile snipers are left with very few good sniper spots. These few sniper spots are impossible to secure also, they always have 3 or more entrances so placing your claymores proves pointless. They should have ported crash and overgrown from cod 4.

gibonez

Banned
:/ might just be me then I find the maps terrible when combined with the 0 recoil sniping assault rifle campers. Too many corners to hide in, no decisive choke-points. Maps feel lazy almost like they didn't play through them.

gibonez said:
:/ might just be me then I find the maps terrible when combined with the 0 recoil sniping assault rifle campers. Too many corners to hide in, no decisive choke-points. Maps feel lazy almost like they didn't play through them.
its not just you, I like Afghan, Derailed and Favela...and down right hate almost the rest of them

gibonez

Banned
GodfatherX said:
its not just you, I like Afghan, Derailed and Favela...and down right hate almost the rest of them

I think alot of it has to do with the games horrible spawning, Ive seen people i kill spawn behind me and move 2 feet to gun me down.

Digital Limit said:
I don't dislike any of the maps, even Wasteland.

What what WHHHAAAATT. How is that possible? Did you play CoD4 for any significant amount of time? If so, do you LIKE what the MW2 maps have done to the gameplay?

I still think that Sub Base and Terminal are the best maps. I also like Skidrow for the most part, except for the easy spawnkilling from the second floor.

And I hate, HATE Estate, Derail, Wasteland Afghan and so on. Favela, Rust and Invasion (or whatever that one city map is with those goddamn annoying buildings to camp in on the east side of the map) are OK.

Derail is near impossible in Demolition because the other team still spawns like 1000 metres away from the detonation points.

Adonymous

Neo Member
God this game is pissing me off so bad.

I succumbed to peer pressure after not wanting to give Activision money for this crap, and ended up buying it.

The online, i don't know. I've played for about 2h 30m or little less...level 11, 360 version btw. Online feels cheap. I'll have a LMG...5 feet away from an enemy, start shooting (without zooming in), and all the bullets hit the enemy since i'm literally 2-3ft away and my scope is right in his center, to have him turn around, aim, and kill me in a few shots, not headshot either...wtf?

another time, I'd get killed and watch the kill cam, and the last few bullets, aren't even close to me.

The maps, are just perfect for camping...I mean...if you actually try to move around the map, expect to die...a lot. I've never seen this many campers in my life.

Free for all is a joke...i haven't played FFA too much in COD4, but it seems like everyone just goes to a spawn point and camps, and knifves you as soon as you respawn. No joke in one match, I respawned 6 times in a row to be knifed instantly...

The whole game seems so dumbed down to the point where it makes any strategy and tactics useless...

Just my opinions from playing 2hrs...

Net_Wrecker said:
What what WHHHAAAATT. How is that possible? Did you play CoD4 for any significant amount of time? If so, do you LIKE what the MW2 maps have done to the gameplay?

I played a little CoD4 multiplayer and stopped largely because of the maps. That and I had Halo 3 to play, but yeah.

Thinking about it, my least favorite map is probably Karachi.

Spawning at C on a losing team is one of the worst experiences I have had with the game.

There are basically two routes out, so you're fucked.

gibonez said:
I think alot of it has to do with the games horrible spawning, Ive seen people i kill spawn behind me and move 2 feet to gun me down.

Yeah, I think that's a pretty big flaw with the MP at the moment - the spawning is just... crap! I think if you can get a good team together you can enjoy the maps and usually root out the AR campers, or even hold your own 'camp' if you communicate, but that rarely happens in COD.

That's the reason that when me and my mates did play it we stuck to tactical modes like HQ and S&D.

aku:jiki

I've gotten so ridiculously addicted to this game, I can't even put it into words. I think it's the fact that I'm finally getting pretty good at an FPS that has me hooked. I've always been terrible but now I've managed to get to a point where I win every FFA match I play and it's addictive as all hell. :D

The game has serious problems, though, and in my opinion the camping is the worst and needs to be stopped. The killstreak rewards are clearly what's causing the camping, so I propose a very easy solution: the streak dies if you sit in one spot without a sniper rifle equipped (because then you're obviously just camping). You die if you sit there for way too long. Should be easy to patch in and I can't see any balancing issues with that. Too bad it's not gonna happen. :(

Edit: Oh yeah, agreed on the spawning being crap. It happens way too often that the guy I just killed got to spawn in the next room and could just rush in and stab me since he knew exactly where I'd be. I don't understand how IW allowed that to happen in the first place, that's just gamebreaking!

Adonymous said:
The online, i don't know. I've played for about 2h 30m or little less...level 11, 360 version btw. Online feels cheap. I'll have a LMG...5 feet away from an enemy, start shooting (without zooming in), and all the bullets hit the enemy since i'm literally 2-3ft away and my scope is right in his center, to have him turn around, aim, and kill me in a few shots, not headshot either...wtf?

another time, I'd get killed and watch the kill cam, and the last few bullets, aren't even close to me.
That's called lag. Not the game's fault, even if I do know how frustrating it feels.

Adonymous said:
Free for all is a joke...i haven't played FFA too much in COD4, but it seems like everyone just goes to a spawn point and camps, and knifves you as soon as you respawn. No joke in one match, I respawned 6 times in a row to be knifed instantly...
Sorry, but that's just bullshit. All I ever play is FFA, and I play a lot (did nothing but MW2 this weekend, for example). Spawn camping basically never happens in FFA, and the camping there isn't as bad as in team-based modes either. You're holding an entire community at fault because you ended up in one bad game, dude...

xxjuicesxx said:
It is annoying getting loss after loss because you have to quit all these fucking kids games that are just trying to boost all their exp on Rust. My Win percentage has gone down a considerable amount, not like that stat even fucking matters since it puts me in losing games that are practically over ten times a night. They really should focus on adding something in a patch where you don't join a game that is more than half over in terms of score or time.
This is something that started really bothering me after I started getting good at the game. I really don't want to be dumped in a FFA match where a guy has 1300 points already - even if I play like a god, I can't possibly get 30 kills in the time he has to get 4! It's hardly even possible for me to get up to 3rd place (which counts as a win in FFA afaik?), and that's just bullshit. They're giving me a loss for just wanting to start a game and, again, how did they even allow that to happen?

Pankaks said:
I meant to add the GAFers I was playing with but I think Grimmjow disbanded the party or I got disconnected. I'm sure they're still on my recently played.

GT:pankaksreborn, incase you guys wanna add me.
Yea the few GAF games earlier were awesome. It felt good to get first place twice in a row on the two games I joined in on. :D oh, and pheenicks, get on the right team next time, yo!

Maximus.

Just went through a streak of losing, then me and a few buds fucking rocked shit. Won 6-7 games in a row, completely dominating the other team :D Also heavily leveled up my ACR, getting all the attachments, just trying to get the red tiger paint now.

huacst21 said:
I agree with the spawning in MW2 being crap.

For example, in Favela, me and this other guy traded payback kills with each other 6 times in a row lol.

Anyone feel this game would benefit from being able to choose a spawn point? Sort of how KZ or BF2 does it?
Especially in Domination, shouldnt a catured base become a spawn point? Say your team has A and C then during death you could chose which to spawn on.

Oh course this would hinder the fast paced action MW2 delivers that most people clamor for I think. Also I guess it could also lead to Main base camping, that is unless you station Sentry guns able to fire through coldblooded and maybe secure buildings were people could spawn not under fire.

moai

about the maps, i only hated wasteland, mainly because of termal snipers. but i found out that i could counter them without fighting fire with fire: i equiped my aug with a termal sight and now i love that map.

Lince

Banned
careful said:
M4 is almost the same as the ACR.
Same damage, but slightly faster rate of fire for slightly more recoil (it's still almost laser-like).

I agree the M4 is a really competent weapon to go with but the ACR has so much better iron sights, let you see more of what's happening around. I don't usually waste my Bling perk with sight attachments (except for the M16).

Fyrus said:

I've only won once as the SEALs. I know this for a fact because when it happened yesterday, it played some song that I had never heard before.

Top Bottom