• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Pankaks said:
Quick question GAF, do you guys use the tactical button layout or the default button layout?

Tactical switches the knife from RS (Xbox 360) to the B button. I've been using tactical since COD4 and have gotten pretty used to it. But I keep finding myself unable to react fast enough to a knife maniac or just in CQC at all. What do you guys think?

Your thumb is pretty much always on the right stick, so of course they're gonna have quick knife reflexes.

BigAT

LeMaximilian said:
Games are running at x10 speeds now. Chipmunk Warfare 2, happened in a few games. Same shit as the infinite ammo bug.

This happened to me earlier in the night in a Express Team Deathmatch game. Everything (running, firing, timers, even the voice of the announcers) is SUPER SPED UP. No idea what caused it, but it was complete insanity.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finally got to play my own PS3 copy online. I was using a one month Live Gold trial on my roommate's 360 since PSN doesn't work at school. Even though I got to level 49 on that, I still suck. :lol Time to basically do prestige without even getting a fancy symbol for it.

smik

ok this shit is getting out of hand with all these private match glitches
I WANT MY THIRD PERSON/DOMINATION PLAYLIST'S BACK DAMN IT!

nearly 60% of the rooms i have joined lately are all glitches domination rush, it was fun for the first 2 days but now its just overboard.

any eta on the when the title update will hit?

WretchedTruman said:
Does anyone seriously dual wield shotguns? My God, have you no shame? I don't even see the benefit of it.

Akimbo 1887s wreck shop. I'm just glad I unlocked them and get to enjoy the glory before the 360 patch hits.

cdyhybrid

Had my favorite experience today so far. We had a 9-person party and were playing Ground War, and two of us were running nukes (not me). We were playing Domination on Wasteland, and we comfortably held C and (I think) A for pretty much the entire game, giving us a sizable lead as the game progressed. One of the two guys got the nuke, and was about to blow it, but someone came up with the idea to all hide at the church. We abandoned both our points and let the other team take them and tie the score before popping the nuke - I nearly died laughing. :lol

Sh0k

I believe update is up for the 360, at least it prompted me to an update while playing this morning. On the 5-6 FFA matches I played, I haven't encountered one of the glitched 18 people matches. I don't know if they nerfed the shotguns though.

VaLiancY

MarkMclovin said:
Is DMG measured as a % without stopping power on? If so, how much more % does stopping power give?

Stopping Power applies 1.4x the damage output of the respective gun. So for some high power guns like the SCAR, TAR-21 and FAL, it's a nice to have another perk like Hardline or Coldblooded.

Minamu

Getting strange symbols in your clan tag is only a matter of changing your system language to Korean or something similar & the alphabet window gets all screwy with funny symbols etc :) It was relatively common in cod4. Not really hacking or modding :)

Alright, before I go prestige I'm going to go for the nuke. Any advice on how to reach this, as far as what mode might be the easiest? Or suggestions for what killstreaks to use that might make it easier?

LosDaddie

Banned
I played my first Hardcore Search & Destroy matches last night. "Hardcore" is definitely apt. One Shot: One Kill. No radar.

While I certainly didn't carry my team, I still had a good time.

Well yea for the patch. I played exactly one full glitched private match and that was about enough for me. Yea for the shotgun balancing if it took place.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Played some last night (this morning) for the first time in about 6 days. My god, I remember why I love this game :D

Re-hooked!

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Alright, before I go prestige I'm going to go for the nuke. Any advice on how to reach this, as far as what mode might be the easiest? Or suggestions for what killstreaks to use that might make it easier?

Objective based modes since in TDM, you only get 75 kills and managing 1/3 of them is hard. Also, the Harrier/Choppah Gunnah/Nuke combo is your combo of choice. I personally haven't gotten it, as I get nervous around 23 and die, but that's the way to do it.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Why the fuck isn't this patched yet?!

I figured when I played yesterday after work it'd be patched...nope.
I figured when I played quickly this morning before work it'd be patched...nope.

What gives?! This shit has been in certification forever and this private server nonsense is killing certain playlists.

RubxQub said:

I figured when I played quickly this morning before work it'd be patched...nope.

What gives?! This shit has been in certification forever and this private server nonsense is killing certain playlists.

Huh. Could've sworn dude down the line said he got an update. No? I guess there'd probably be a Major Nelson/Robert Bowling tweet if it had happened.

RubxQub

DeuceMojo said:
Huh. Could've sworn dude down the line said he got an update. No? I guess there'd probably be a Major Nelson/Robert Bowling tweet if it had happened.
There wasn't as of 3 hours ago at least. I'm at work now so I can't tell, but no patch as of this morning.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DeuceMojo said:
PS3 version has been patched but the 360 update is still in certification limbo.

RubxQub said:
There wasn't as of 3 hours ago at least. I'm at work now so I can't tell, but no patch as of this morning.
Sh0k said:
I believe update is up for the 360, at least it prompted me to an update while playing this morning. On the 5-6 FFA matches I played, I haven't encountered one of the glitched 18 people matches. I don't know if they nerfed the shotguns though.
That was 9:16am or right around 2 hours ago. So I'm hopeful.

Sh0k

That's weird, this morning I played and got a prompt for an update on my 360. I turned on my son's 360 and his didn't get the update and neither his friends.

Pankaks said:
Quick question GAF, do you guys use the tactical button layout or the default button layout?

Tactical switches the knife from RS (Xbox 360) to the B button. I've been using tactical since COD4 and have gotten pretty used to it. But I keep finding myself unable to react fast enough to a knife maniac or just in CQC at all. What do you guys think?

You have to take your right thumb off the analog stick to hit the B button. IE: Taking longer to swipe.

Since your thumb is always on the right stick, you'll always be in position to instantly click in.

It's up to you though if knifing is that important.

The "Bumper Jumper" control method in Halo uses the same methodology for jumping, it makes it so that you can jump without taking your thumb off the analog to hit A.

DancingJesus said:
You have to take your right thumb off the analog stick to hit the B button. IE: Taking longer to swipe.

Since your thumb is always on the right stick, you'll always be in position to instantly click in.

It's up to you though if knifing is that important.

I've used the "B-to-knife" setup in COD4, and it SUCKS. Just not nearly fast enough. The ONLY advantage being you will never swing your knife while trying to aim at someone.

RubxQub

Seems like the main reason to use tactical is so when you get into 1:1 firefights, you can crouch/prone while you're shooting to mess-up the other players aim (ala Counter-Strike).

You'll notice some people crouch/prone immediately when they start shooting or are shot, and I'm guessing they are using tactical.

I'll prone if I'm getting shot and I don't know from where and I think it'll get me under cover or be unable to be shot (maybe I'm in grass or near a box), but I don't need that on my stick to do it quickly.

Lourio

LLaMa-Tech said:

Can this be used for both a 360 and PS3 controller? Can't seem to find a solid answer.

BigAT

I just played a couple of games (360) and didn't have to download any patch.

For those that are wondering on when the patch will be officially be released, it's coming out the second I hit level 67 so that I never get to experience broken 1887s for myself. I'm level 66 right now, about 20k away, so you can expect the patch shortly.

BigAT said:
I just played a couple of games (360) and didn't have to download any patch.

For those that are wondering on when the patch will be officially be released, it's coming out the second I hit level 67 so that I never get to experience broken 1887s for myself. I'm level 66 right now, about 20k away, so you can expect the patch shortly.
Yeah, sucks that I won't be able to get an 1887 achievement, 'cause I prestiged far too late to get back up to 1887.

You can cry for me too.

jedimike said:
I forgot that the FAMAS was so badass. I was getting kills that I never would have got with the AK. I thought my K/D would fall after having to start at level 1, but it is actually going up.
Now I know the M16 kicks ass, but the FAMAS over the AK? Wow. It was painful for me to give up the AK.

360 patch won't be out till the New Year at this rate, all the MS bods will be on Christmas vacation, a part from Manjip who is left to look after everything.

RubxQub said:

I know, it's bullshit. MS sucks so hard. IW should raise my K/D by around .2 for all of these fucking private matches that I've been thrown into.

RubxQub

I don't get the point of guns with shitty stats.

Statistically speaking, the TAR, F2000 and the AK should be awful guns with no benefts to them.

- The TAR is widely inaccurate, has a low fire rate and doesn't even have amazing damage.
- The F2000 is widely inaccurate, has low damage and a high fire rate. Seems like a shitty SMG.
- The AK is is widely inaccurate, has solid damage but has a fairly low fire-rate.

Why would anyone pick these guns over the alternatives? The accuracy ratings alone make them useless over long distances...why not just use an SMG?

Is there some intangible about these guns like iron sights or ammo capacity that I'm not seeing? I must find a thousand TARs on the floor and can't figure out for the life of me why someone would use it.

backflip10019 said:
I know, it's bullshit. MS sucks so hard. IW should raise my K/D by around .2 for all of these fucking private matches that I've been thrown into.
Private matches can suck it. Why people think it's fun to be thrown into what amounts to a massive boosting arena is beyond me.

RubxQub

DeuceMojo said:
Private matches can suck it. Why people think it's fun to be thrown into what amounts to a massive boosting arena is beyond me.
Anyone who is beyond 2nd prestige, maybe 3rd must have boosted to get there. I've been playing this get legit pretty much since it came out (close to 5 days of MP time logged) and I'm just about to hit 70 on my 1st prestige.

...that or they pretty much have ZERO life beyond waking up, playing MW2, going to bed. Rinse/repeat.

RubxQub said:
I don't get the point of guns with shitty stats.

Statistically speaking, the TAR, F2000 and the AK should be awful guns with no benefts to them.

Is there some intangible about these guns like iron sights or ammo capacity that I'm not seeing? I must find a thousand TARs on the floor and can't figure out for the life of me why someone would use it.
I don't think they issued these guns in order of power or anything. I would rank the best guns as M16, AK47, SCAR, FAL, (all the high-caliber weapons) but then others will say that's ridiculous.

They must have done some tweaking on the guns, considering the AK was like a starting weapon in COD4, and now seems to be considerably improved. Though it does puzzle me why they made it a reward for reaching lvl 70.

codecow

RubxQub said:
Anyone who is beyond 2nd prestige, maybe 3rd must have boosted to get there. I've been playing this get legit pretty much since it came out (close to 5 days of MP time logged) and I'm just about to hit 70 on my 1st prestige.

...that or they pretty much have ZERO life beyond waking up, playing MW2, going to bed. Rinse/repeat.

You must be scoring low (like me, level 48 with 1.5d played). A guy I work with who isn't a good player by net standards did his first prestige in a bit over 3d played.

RubxQub said:

Yeah, the guys that are beyond that are definitely the truant kids (you know, rich divorced dad lets his dumbshit kid ditch school 'cause he can't be bothered) who stay home all the time, the real nerds, you know the poor bastards that you can just tell by talking to them they have no chance at friends, and the (I guess) the hardcore who do this whenver they aren't doing anything else.

Mostly I just picture the truant kid in the penthouse apartment eating shit, playing games, showering once a month whether he needs to or not... you know, this guy:

2ai3aps.jpg

Odrion

Banned
I don't know why ANYONE would use the F2000 other than the novelty of killing someone with the shittiest gun in the game.

The TAR is pretty much a AK47 for people who aren't rank 70 - A 40-30 damage dealing weapon with higher firerate than the SCAR.

For myself, I fell in love with the UMP for my stealth build. It's 35 damage! You're more mobile! You can out maneuver people in gunfights!

RubxQub

codecow said:
You must be scoring low (like me, level 48 with 1.5d played). A guy I work with who isn't a good player by net standards did his first prestige in a bit over 3d played.
I don't know man...I'm pretty much always in the top 3 for my team and play HeadQuarters all the time, which nets you a sweet match bonus at the end of you do play well.

I've already prestiged once, so it looks like I'm averaging a prestige every 2.5d played.

People (a lot lot lot of people) either banked an unhealthy amount of time in this game (I consider what I've already done unhealthy) or they're all participating in boosting.

I've gotten enough random invites to boosting games to know there is a pretty sizeable group of people doing this.

RubxQub said:
I don't know man...I'm pretty much always in the top 3 for my team and play HeadQuarters all the time, which nets you a sweet match bonus at the end of you do play well.
Don't know how you can play Headquarters in this iteration. They seemed to have infused it with a huge portion of suck. I guess it's just me.

You played Demolition? Absolutely incredible match bonuses in that game if you win. I've cleared 9,000 points per game with zero challenges completed.

codecow

RubxQub said:

I've already prestiged once, so it looks like I'm averaging a prestige every 2.5d played.

People (a lot lot lot of people) either banked an unhealthy amount of time in this game (I consider what I've already done unhealthy) or they're all participating in boosting.

I've gotten enough random invites to boosting games to know there is a pretty sizeable group of people doing this.

Ah I missed that you said you were 70 on your 1st prestige, I thought you were saying 5d played for your first.

Odrion

Banned
Now that IW has nerfed the 1887 they should on balancing SMGs (the UMP is way to favorable) and fixing the F2000, AA12, and that last Machine Pistol.

codecow

DeuceMojo said:
Don't know how you can play Headquarters in this iteration. They seemed to have infused it with a huge portion of suck. I guess it's just me.

You played Demolition? Absolutely incredible match bonuses in that game if you win. I've cleared 9,000 points per game with zero challenges completed.

I play Demolition quite a bit for just this reason, it isn't uncommon to have winning games where it goes to overtime and getting ~9,600 or so per-game. Overtime seems to be the norm. I am selective about what matches I join. I probably average between 800-1100/game score so if I join a lobby with a lot of dudes with higher scores I just bounce out of it and keep trying.

Top Bottom