• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

cameltoe

the spawning is fucking retarded...it will randomly switch sides on you....

you are fucking the enemy up, its a great battle, then it spawns them all behind you..you die, spawn on the other side where they were, repeat...

Minamu

fps fanatic said:
I have noticed this too. I'll be moving and looking around, walk past a part where I know up and down there was no one there. Then all of a sudden, hot lead to the back. :(

I think post-patch (PS3 here) the biggest issue I have with the game is the respawning. I don't know if the game tries to respawn you close to teammates, or respawns you close to enemies/someone who just took you out to get a chance to get even?
someone said it was a combination of those two but I don't know what their source is. It seems to choose the most retarded point possible to me :lol Sub Base is a great example, as someone else also mentioned. Half of the map isn't utilized at all, other than as a starting spawn point in some modes.

Nizz

Minamu said:
someone said it was a combination of those two but I don't know what their source is. It seems to choose the most retarded point possible to me :lol Sub Base is a great example, as someone else also mentioned. Half of the map isn't utilized at all, other than as a starting spawn point in some modes.
Yeah. I mean if the spawning was a little more random, ok. I guess the game wants to keep you close to the action but sometimes it's ridiculous!

Sub-base does seem like one of the bigger offenders when it comes to this. I wonder if you give the game time and watch the killcam and then respawn, would it make a difference? I know a lot of times that's out of the question (at least sometimes for me) cause I want to get right back into the action.

Maybe me jamming on the square button to get back in doesn't give the game enough time to calculate where it's going to spawn you? I don't know. So many questions. :lol

Xevren

fps fanatic said:
Sub-base does seem like one of the bigger offenders when it comes to this. I wonder if you give the game time and watch the killcam and then respawn, would it make a difference? I know a lot of times that's out of the question (at least sometimes for me) cause I want to get right back into the action.

Maybe me jamming on the square button to get back in doesn't give the game enough time to calculate where it's going to spawn you? I don't know. So many questions. :lol

I always watch my kill cams and I get my share of bad spawns. Think they're just going to have to do some sort of fix.

Nizz

Xevren said:
I always watch my kill cams and I get my share of bad spawns. Think they're just going to have to do some sort of fix.
Yeah, hopefully IW takes care of this. It's one thing I had hoped would have improved from COD4. It's still there though.

SmokeMaxX

Zabka said:
Wait a minute. What's the definition of a camper if the person doesn't stay in the same spot?

I remember camping in Quakeworld was people who would hang around a power weapon spawn and massacre people carrying low level weapons.

You can camp without staying in the exact same location. Shoot someone, move 5 feet over, wait for them to come back, shoot them again, repeat.

fps fanatic said:
Yeah, hopefully IW takes care of this. It's one thing I had hoped would have improved from COD4. It's still there though.
only if by "still there" you mean "worse than before." at least before there was logic to the spawns, even if they sucked. how this one decides to spawn you in the middle of the other team is beyond my comprehension.

kevm3

Wow what a joke. As soon as I logged onto a game, I was handed a defeat, as the game ended 4700-7500. I didn't even get to choose my gun. Game over, I get a loss.

kevm3 said:
Wow what a joke. As soon as I logged onto a game, I was handed a defeat, as the game ended 4700-7500. I didn't even get to choose my gun. Game over, I get a loss.
Yeah, that happens more often than you getting into an actual game. I tend to just quit the game when the map is loading if i get in an in-progress. People left that game for a reason.

Zabka

SmokeMaxX said:
You can camp without staying in the exact same location. Shoot someone, move 5 feet over, wait for them to come back, shoot them again, repeat.
What's so evil about that then?

If you fall for that it's your own fault for dying. You spawn with all the tools you need to handle someone in an enclosed space.

For people who like to fucking perch in MW2, I do the care package knife runs. With Marathon pro on, you can run around the maps atleast three times before getting killed. I went 30-5 on Favela because bitches thought it would be cute to camp spawns. I can say with a fact thought, that the camping in MW2 doesn't hold a candle to the original Ghost Recons. Thirty minute play times and they would camp the full thirty minutes.

kevm3

Does this game even attempt to match people of the same rank? Just lost a game because they tossed a level 2 in there who went 2 and 17.

Xevren

kevm3 said:
Does this game even attempt to match people of the same rank? Just lost a game because they tossed a level 2 in there who went 2 and 17.

Not really, it's one thing I really dislike. Level difference can be really drastic sometimes.

rodvik

Pyke Presco said:
In 8.5 days, I've only seen one other player with [nGAF] and I got booted from the lobby immediately. There just arent that many of us in the grand scheme of things.

Game cant hold two gaffers at once.

kevm3

Just had to turn on the game. The way I have to play in order for me to be successful just isn't that fun, aka extremely slow, methodical, laying around and camping. I have to be in a certain mood to play this game, and I'm just not in that mood.

SmokeMaxX

Zabka said:
What's so evil about that then?

If you fall for that it's your own fault for dying. You spawn with all the tools you need to handle someone in an enclosed space.

Eh? The evil part about them realistically is that they don't help the team in objective based game types. Unless you consider camping in some obscure part of the map while the other team is running the flag "helping the team"

fps fanatic said:
I don't know if the game tries to respawn you close to teammates, or respawns you close to enemies/someone who just took you out to get a chance to get even?
I mentioned this right after the patch came out, I am 100% sure that IW changed the spawning system after people complained about it in the first place.

Before it was "furthest you can spawn from enemies", now it is "closest to your team mates no matter how close they are to enemies".

S t y l e z said:
For people who like to fucking perch in MW2, I do the care package knife runs. With Marathon pro on, you can run around the maps atleast three times before getting killed. I went 30-5 on Favela because bitches thought it would be cute to camp spawns. I can say with a fact thought, that the camping in MW2 doesn't hold a candle to the original Ghost Recons. Thirty minute play times and they would camp the full thirty minutes.
campers get my special sharp attention. but it's a tactic they are allowed to use.

PetriP-TNT said:
I mentioned this right after the patch came out, I am 100% sure that IW changed the spawning system after people complained about it in the first place.

Before it was "furthest you can spawn from enemies", now it is "closest to your team mates no matter how close they are to enemies".

yeah.. furthest from your enemies could be horrible though... i wanted to call epona on some maps...

it has improved imo..

nib95

Banned
I swear the knifing is fucked in the PS3 version. Currently keeps messing up, I knife well in advance but it either doesn't connect, goes through them, or they get it first despite doing it well after. Really frustrating.

zonezeus

nib95 said:
I swear the knifing is fucked in the PS3 version. Currently keeps messing up, I knife well in advance but it either doesn't connect, goes through them, or they get it first despite doing it well after. Really frustrating.

This.

I don't know, maybe it's some serious lag, because I do get the knifing animation, it connects, but the guy just run past through me and knife me in the back.

Maximus.

I like what cod does against campers. It makes them learn that sitting in one area for the whole game will get them no where, on most occasions. It adds more tactics and strategies to the game and requires everyone to move around more, rather than having everyone sitting in a spot. Only campers would complain about how cod handles their gameplay style :lol.

The knife seemingly works in this game by deciding if both players even hit. Next it probably calculates who hit first according to host...So even though on both screens it showed both of you knifing each other...someones gotta win or else it wouldn't make sense..

Of course Halo 3 created the shit ass stalemate method of killing BOTH players. Which is a fucking JOKE. So be happy with what you have right now.

aku:jiki

Oh man, I had the most amazing FFA match yesterday. There was not one person doing something shitty - no glitching, no camping, no boosting for nukes, no cheating of any kind whatsoever. The only downer was that one guy was running around with 1887's, but he was being cool about it and ran around like Rambo and never camped or did anything lame. I even got him in a few fair fights without having to yell bullshit. :lol

Everyone in the top 3 finished with like 28-21 because it was such non-stop action with these guys. It felt amazing to get to see how this game was meant to be played...at the same time as it felt pathetic that I saw my first "real," unbitchified game at level 43 prestige after 4 days of playtime. :lol

Fraull said:
I like what cod does against campers. It makes them learn that sitting in one area for the whole game will get them no where, on most occasions. It adds more tactics and strategies to the game and requires everyone to move around more, rather than having everyone sitting in a spot. Only campers would complain about how cod handles their gameplay style :lol.
You mean... Unless that one area is the upper floor warehouse in Sub Base, the heli landing pad in Wasteland, the dark room and grassy container area on Underpass, the overlooking roofs on Derail, the tower in Rust, the sentry gun room in Skidrow, the second floor of the grocery store on Rundown, and so on? I really don't understand what game you're talking about, man. MW2 is actually made for camping - you really can't say that the little dark room on Underpass was designed for anything but hardcore camping.

Speaking of Underpass, the containers create a little corner where you can't be taken from behind in any way and you can't see the corner from the main path outside the containers. Drop a tactical insertion there, go around the corner and camp the high grass for an easy killstreak. Even if they get you, they won't know that your insertion is right there because they can't see it without SitRep and nobody uses SitRep but me apparently. (Some kid even lectured me about how stupid I am for using it and I should clearly use Commando. :lol)

I must say that it feels like all the people defending camping haven't really played this game that much yet. The camping is absolutely insane, and if you haven't noticed it yet, you weren't paying attention. And the killcams aren't even close to enough to help. It doesn't matter if you know someone's camping the dark room on Underpass - it has one entrance and only a marathon/lightweight/knife combo can take whoever's in there out. Don't have that class? You won't be killing that camper with anything but a grenade and if he's any good in the slightest he'll have a line of fire on you before you have a chance to aim the toss.

I just really can't buy what some of you guys are saying about the camping. It's just not true.

Kentpaul said:
ah everyone now a days is double shotgunning or knifing
That was last week. This damn game actually has trends and this week's trend is bunnyhopping around like you're playing Quake. It's getting pretty unbearable.

nib95 said:

What makes me laugh, is when someone knifes you and you watch the kill cam, only to see that the fucker wasn't even looking at you at the swipe. A knife kill in nothing but fresh air!

Spydy

Banned
Yes, the games major flaw is re-spawning. I played 5 games last night and was re-spawned at least 8 times within 5 or 6 metres of an enemy. On sub-base I was re-spawned in the middle tunnel section with 2 members of the opposite team looking directly at me. I would rather the game re-spawn me at the furthest possible point and I work my way back instead of having no chance to defend myself.

While at first I thought the camping was a major pain in the ass, as time has gone on and I understand the maps more, it's becoming less of an issue for me. Most of the time, if you get in and around a team that camps and distribute their re-spawning, their game goes to shit and they can't seem to cope with ordinary movement around a map.

IW also need to do something about the 1887 Akimbo's. Seriously, I get the jump on most players and get frustrated with them because it's one shot - one kill from a mile away.

scoobs

man i came back to this game after about a month of playin KZ2 and CoD:WaW... I cannot get into this at all now lol. Too many kids running around with akimbo weapons doing stupid stuff.

Spydy said:
IW also need to do something about the 1887 Akimbo's. Seriously, I get the jump on most players and get frustrated with them because it's one shot - one kill from a mile away.
Yesterday, I had one killcam I wish I could've sent to IW. I was on the upper floor of the warehouse in Sub Base, attempting to cross the little "bridge" over to the other upper floor area. On my way across the catwalk, I was insta-killed from the opposite diagonal on the ground floor. I bet even the guy with the shotguns wondered how the fuck that just happened.

One glitch nobody seems to talk about but that I think is bullshit is the fact that all explosives disarm immediately when you die, and that rule only excludes grenades! What about noobtubes and rockets I fire before someone comes from behind and shoots me? Why does the guy I shot with the rocket get a free pass because some other guy shot me? That's some bull-fucking-shit right there.

Mik2121

MarkMclovin said:
What makes me laugh, is when someone knifes you and you watch the kill cam, only to see that the fucker wasn't even looking at you at the swipe. A knife kill in nothing but fresh air!
That actually happened to me, but I was said 'fucker' :p
It was in terminal. I was hiding behind a counter, pointing at the bridge that connects the terminal and the airplane.
I heard steps and turned around, only to see some weapon (I didn't see the body of the enemy yet). I was so surprised I accidentally pressed the right stick, killing the enemy... and I had yet to see the body! :lol the guy probably raged or something, because after that he just kept going to that place (I was still around that side of the terminal and got to kill him a few times)

aku:jiki said:
Oh man, I had the most amazing FFA match yesterday. There was not one person doing something shitty - no glitching, no camping, no boosting for nukes, no cheating of any kind whatsoever. The only downer was that one guy was running around with 1887's, but he was being cool about it and ran around like Rambo and never camped or did anything lame. I even got him in a few fair fights without having to yell bullshit. :lol

Everyone in the top 3 finished with like 28-21 because it was such non-stop action with these guys. It felt amazing to get to see how this game was meant to be played...at the same time as it felt pathetic that I saw my first "real," unbitchified game at level 43 prestige after 4 days of playtime. :lol

You mean... Unless that one area is the upper floor warehouse in Sub Base, the heli landing pad in Wasteland, the dark room and grassy container area on Underpass, the overlooking roofs on Derail, the tower in Rust, the sentry gun room in Skidrow, the second floor of the grocery store on Rundown, and so on? I really don't understand what game you're talking about, man. MW2 is actually made for camping - you really can't say that the little dark room on Underpass was designed for anything but hardcore camping.

Speaking of Underpass, the containers create a little corner where you can't be taken from behind in any way and you can't see the corner from the main path outside the containers. Drop a tactical insertion there, go around the corner and camp the high grass for an easy killstreak. Even if they get you, they won't know that your insertion is right there because they can't see it without SitRep and nobody uses SitRep but me apparently. (Some kid even lectured me about how stupid I am for using it and I should clearly use Commando. :lol)

I must say that it feels like all the people defending camping haven't really played this game that much yet. The camping is absolutely insane, and if you haven't noticed it yet, you weren't paying attention. And the killcams aren't even close to enough to help. It doesn't matter if you know someone's camping the dark room on Underpass - it has one entrance and only a marathon/lightweight/knife combo can take whoever's in there out. Don't have that class? You won't be killing that camper with anything but a grenade and if he's any good in the slightest he'll have a line of fire on you before you have a chance to aim the toss.

I just really can't buy what some of you guys are saying about the camping. It's just not true.

That was last week. This damn game actually has trends and this week's trend is bunnyhopping around like you're playing Quake. It's getting pretty unbearable.

Ha. I actually noticed this myself last night. It was Halo 3 all over again, though to be fair, they did the same in COD4. It was the classic jump at a corner, turn and your gun auto aims as you land. I was hoping that they would fix this for MW2 but it seems IW has some serious work to do.

Another big complaint for me is regarding claymores. It seems more and more they do not work. At least in COD4 the claymore would at least cause some damage if they got close or tried to run through it but I've been killed many a times as a player on the other team runs in, stops right on top of the claymore, it goes off and continues to fire like nothing ever happened.

GodofWine

OK, beat this 'bad spawn point'...

I was on Wasteland, other team called in Harriers, so I ran to the bunker where I got grenaded by a guy who couldn't even have seen me....but then I respawn with my team on the far outside, in between two small buildings (with no doors on the walls facing me) and the end of the map...

WITH....

THE FUCKING HARRIER HOVERING RIGHT OVER MY TEAM...that f'er killed me 5 times, there wasn't even time to fire a rocket...it kept putting me back in that corner, under that damn plane.

Regarding camping, I dont care for it, but I also have almost never not been able to go find the bastard and kill them.

DANGER CLOSE most go, I get killed 3-5 times a game via blind fire grenades.

And these killstreaks are getting stupid...I'd almost rather have the dogs from W@W...almost.

Lince

Banned
last night I played a lot of games with my college mates, can't believe the amount of boosters, laggers, akimbo freaks, care package runners, camping rats and these annoying players that don't give a fuck about objectives we found on almost every match. I guess Santa came earlier with MW2 for a lot of kids this year.

The point people are making is that a camper can no longer stay in the same position for the length of the match. If one does stay there, then his enemy are clearly not doing a good job on flushing him out and preventing him from going back if he is a pest.

Grenades, flashbang, noob tube, Ninja Pro, LMG with FMJ and loads more are all anti camper tools. It doesn't matter where you go, if your opponent is any good and wants to go back to get you, he can.
I played a much more relaxed game last night now that I have hit 70. I never play a sniper role but decided to give it a go. I used a quarter of the map and moved everytime I got a kill, just not out of my 'zone'. And for the first time, I actually felt like I was a pain in the ass to the other team. Some people came back to get me, but I had moved and kept an eye on that position, taking them out. If I had stayed there, I no doubt would have been killed.

I ended the game around 17-4 with a weapon I'm just not used to.

Zabka

Smoke grenades are your friend.

MarkMclovin said:
Grenades, flashbang, noob tube, Ninja Pro, LMG with FMJ and loads more are all anti camper tools. It doesn't matter where you go, if your opponent is any good and wants to go back to get you, he can.
Why are you blatantly ignoring my examples? Grenades won't help because he has a line of sight before you do in that dark room, same for noobtubes. Flashbangs might work, but the room is built in a way that he can just spray towards the exit and have a good chance of getting you. Ninja Pro won't help at all and neither will an LMG.

Take the upper floor warehouse on Sub Base then. All of the above tools ARE effective, but only if the camper is being absolutely fucking terrible. If he has any skill, the room is large enough to hide from LMG fire, the area is big enough and has enough exits to get away while flashed (because the tosser of the flash has to spend a good 20 seconds getting to the camper after throwing the flash) and you basically have to get lucky that he's busy killing somebody in another room if you're gonna run up a Ninja-knife him. Yeah, the tools work there but the guy up top has a massive advantage because it takes so long to get up there and he can see all entry ways from that room. The only danger for the camper is the ladder there, but he just has to learn to be extra mindful of it or put a clever claymore there and it's much less dangerous.

And so on. Again, not to be a dick, but some of you haven't played the game enough to make statements regarding the camping. It's rampant and in some cases it is unstoppable - at least if you care about your K/D. Yeah, you can always go guns blazing and kill anyone if you're cool with ending the match with a 10:29 K/D, but I'm not prepared to do that and I shouldn't have to be.

Smoke grenades are your friend.
I don't use thermal on anything, so no, they're not really my friends. :(

DANGER CLOSE most go, I get killed 3-5 times a game via blind fire grenades.
That never happens in the kill-based game modes. If you're in an objective-based game mode, it's not really a blind throw... Feels cheap to be the recipient of course, but the throw makes sense.

GodofWine

industrian said:
Don't be hatin' on my Toob'd AR + Thumper + Scavenger combo mang.

OMG, I must try that. :D

Regarding Spawn Points, Here is my "How all games spawns should work"

1. There shall be 2 starting spawns for each team, which you will be able to pick one or the other. Your team cannot lose these spawns ever.
2. There will be other captureable spawns on the map, even in TDM, there will be something to do besides shoot people and camp...camping will only be effective if you have captured more spawns.
3. At each respawn you select where you would like to enter at.

Basically, Warhawk like, but with 2 'bases' to start with so as to prevent a good old fashioned base raping...and to allow you a 'way out' of a bad situation. The player count in COD is so low by today's standards (really..6v6 Infinity Ward...really?) that you'll never get pinned down, and there will always be some vacant 'spawns' to grab quickly.

GodofWine said:
Regarding Spawn Points, Here is my "How all games spawns should work"

1. There shall be 2 starting spawns for each team, which you will be able to pick one or the other. Your team cannot lose these spawns ever.
2. There will be other captureable spawns on the map, even in TDM, there will be something to do besides shoot people and camp...camping will only be effective if you have captured more spawns.
3. At each respawn you select where you would like to enter at.
Not a bad idea, but it's extremely vulnerable to spawn camping. You need a #4 that locks down spawn camping and it'll be good!

GodofWine said:
Basically, Warhawk like, but with 2 'bases' to start with so as to prevent a good old fashioned base raping...and to allow you a 'way out' of a bad situation. The player count in COD is so low by today's standards (really..6v6 Infinity Ward...really?) that you'll never get pinned down, and there will always be some vacant 'spawns' to grab quickly.
They didn't lower the number of players because they couldn't code more players in there. They made a choice for the balance of the maps, weapons and so forth...

Personally, I'm pretty damn happy about that. To me, who is not huge on FPS normally, it feels like every other war game is going in the absolutely-ridiculously-massive direction with planes, tanks, cars and so forth. I prefer having a game where can I find someone to shoot in less than a minute, and that I don't have to wait around for another car to spawn to be able to have fun. Not every war game needs to be 256v256 on 10 square km maps.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
The ACOG on the .50 cal ain't so bad. I only put it on to unlock the thermal, but was surprised that I did so well with it.

GodofWine

Not every war game needs to be 256v256 on 10 square km maps.

I do agree..I just think that all games should have been 'Ground War' size...possibly with 2 maps made for larger 16v16 GW's?

I dunno...

Xux

RubxQub said:
I don't get the point of guns with shitty stats.

Statistically speaking, the TAR, F2000 and the AK should be awful guns with no benefits to them.

- The TAR is widely inaccurate, has a low fire rate and doesn't even have amazing damage.
- The F2000 is widely inaccurate, has low damage and a high fire rate. Seems like a shitty SMG.
- The AK is is widely inaccurate, has solid damage but has a fairly low fire-rate.

Why would anyone pick these guns over the alternatives? The accuracy ratings alone make them useless over long distances...why not just use an SMG?

Is there some intangible about these guns like iron sights or ammo capacity that I'm not seeing? I must find a thousand TARs on the floor and can't figure out for the life of me why someone would use it.

The statistics don't mean a whole lot. Firing in bursts more or less overrides any statistical accuracy issues and the guns' damage relative to their fire rate is pretty equal.

Full-auto, the TAR has way more kick than the SCAR but its fire rate and clip size make them pretty equal.

The AK's pretty much like the TAR but with different sights and a faster switch-to-grenade launcher animation.

The F2000's probably the most accurate AR in the game if you can get over the learning curve.

Xux said:
The statistics don't mean a whole lot. Firing in bursts more or less overrides any statistical accuracy issues and the guns' damage relative to their fire rate is pretty equal.

Full-auto, the TAR has way more kick than the SCAR but its fire rate and clip size make them pretty equal.

The AK's pretty much like the TAR but with different sights and a faster switch-to-grenade launcher animation.

The F2000's probably the most accurate AR in the game if you can get over the learning curve.

What is accurate about the F2000? Lol.

GodofWine said:
OMG, I must try that. :D
Don't forget the Danger Close to add that extra 'mmmph' to your multiple grenades. Use this underground on Wasteland and chuckle as you imagine people swearing about the "f'ing noob tuber." :lol

Top Bottom