• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Yeef

Tkawsome said:
You can place multiple C4's but it sucks. I had that class for a while and when you get a new ammo pack, you can't detonate the last C4 until you throw your new one. If you're camping or something it may be good, but when I used them in domination it took extra time that I didn't have.
You can double tap reload to detonate them.

K2Valor said:
That's unfair to criticize the spawn points because of that. Predator missiles are user controlled, the game can't predict where it's going to land. I just attribute that to bad luck.
The easy solution is to give a certain invulnerability period immediately after spawning. Have it cancel with certain actions like aiming down the sight. A lot of other games work this way and it's fine.

K2Valor said:
That's unfair to criticize the spawn points because of that. Predator missiles are user controlled, the game can't predict where it's going to land. I just attribute that to bad luck.
Predator missiles aren't usually too bad but I've spawned into quite a few airstrikes just as they land, that definitely shouldn't be happening.

GodofWine

Yeef said:
You can double tap reload to detonate them.

The easy solution is to give a certain invulnerability period immediately after spawning. Have it cancel with certain actions like aiming down the sight. A lot of other games work this way and it's fine.

You should always spawn with 3 second of 'pain killer'.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I don't think they should add a time-based spawn invulnerability but maybe adding invulnerability to killstreak rewards until x seconds after rewspawn? So, if you respawn, you can still get killed by a weapon but not by an air strike. You have a window there so you don't get instakilled.

butts

I know that they pushed this patch out as fast as possible but... seriously? This isn't some obscure method to make the guns work like they did pre-patch, this is just standard play for a lot of people. Pretty shitty that this passed testing, especially since it took so long to get the thing through certification the way it is.

RSTEIN said:
I don't think they should add a time-based spawn invulnerability but maybe adding invulnerability to killstreak rewards until x seconds after rewspawn? So, if you respawn, you can still get killed by a weapon but not by an air strike. You have a window there so you don't get instakilled.
I support this notion.

MrCompletely said:
Maybe im missing somethig, but what exactly is still wrong? It takes him 3 shots to get a hit at first, and then for his second attempt, even more. I see the range is high, but it seemed much tougher for him to actually score a hit.
Most likely the bullets just stop midair if the range is too long. After he moved one step forward it was an instakill (what I am trying to say is that the first 2 shots didn't do jack and the 3rd one was a kill).

I don't know, should I start laming and get few nukes before everyone is doing that again? Nah.

Sielys

turnbuckle said:
Most likely the claymore detonated during the killcam and your opponent was using last stand. Otherwise, I have no clue :p

I was under the impression that explosives bypass last stand, and just killed you instantly.

Sielys

Wait, why do you have to put FMJ on the 1887's to "unnerf" them? I was under the impression that it was tested and proved that FMJ doesn't increase bullet damage, only damage through walls.

turnbuckle

Sielys said:
I was under the impression that explosives bypass last stand, and just killed you instantly.

Hmm, I dunno. That might be true. I figured last stand triggered if a certain amount of damage was taken to kill you, but not much over that. I'm sure I've had plenty of bullet deaths where last stand didn't occur. Maybe if someone hit your claymore but weren't in its sweet spot it did the right amount of damage to trigger last stand. Ha, I really have no idea. I've seen myself get claymore deaths after respawning, but it's always been really rare and generally occurring within moments of respawning.

Anyone willing to share info about how to get FMJ kills with a sniper rifle? I can't seem to get any. Are there maps better suited for it or tricks like maybe sniping out of windows that might trigger it?

Sielys

got2bekidding said:
Anyone willing to share info about how to get FMJ kills with a sniper rifle? I can't seem to get any. Are there maps better suited for it or tricks like maybe sniping out of windows that might trigger it?

I get most of my x-ray kills on Favela, there's a ton of thin cover that people seem to love hiding behind.

Minamu

got2bekidding said:
Yeah, windows seem to work with other weapons. Other than that, I haven't heard of any tricks :'( I guess you could try shooting at their waist/legs if you see someone looking out through a window or something.

Or boost with a friend in cage match...

careful

I find there's not that many people using the HBS. After getting used to it not being a distraction, I find it very advantageous knowing the enemy positions. It's like having your own permanent mini UAV. Definitely a great attachment to equip, I have it on most of my classes now.

Anyone else a big fan of the HBS?

Sielys said:
I get most of my x-ray kills on Favela, there's a ton of thin cover that people seem to love hiding behind.
I'll have to try on Favela then. :/ I love to commando knife on that map, so I'll have to give that up for a bit.

Minamu said:
Yeah, windows seem to work with other weapons. Other than that, I haven't heard of any tricks :'( I guess you could try shooting at their waist/legs if you see someone looking out through a window or something.

Or boost with a friend in cage match...
I'll try shooting through windows in Underpass or something. No boosting though, I want to get all my stuff in-game. I just have 181 kills with the WA2000 and not one FMJ kill. It's frustrating me to no end. lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
careful said:
I find there's not that many people using the HBS. After getting used to it not being a distraction, I find it very advantageous knowing the enemy positions. It's like having your own permanent mini UAV. Definitely a great attachment to equip, I have it on most of my classes now.

I hope more people start relying on these :D

Can you not slide down the ladder anymore? Going down ladders I can get to a point where I'm like fuck it, let me drop and I'll just take the fall damage. Like that ladder in Quarry....

careful said:

I love the heartbeat sensor. I can't even play very well without it anymore.

Sielys

got2bekidding said:
Can you not slide down the ladder anymore? Going down ladders I can get to a point where I'm like fuck it, let me drop and I'll just take the fall damage. Like that ladder in Quarry....

I find it very difficult to go down ladders, I just take the fall damage or use commando. It sucks on maps like Underpass, when I climb up that one spot in the middle of map. I get my few kills, and then try to climb back down to no avail. The fall damage is fatal, so jumping is a now go. I grow increasingly fearful of staying in the open, when sure enough I get shot in the back.

In the killcam, it's one of the people I had killed from my perch, and they get a nice view of a soldier frantically trying to grasp the use of this complicated devilwork they call "ladders".

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
Hasn't it been proven multiple times over at this point that FMJ only increases bullet penetration damage?
FMJ does add a couple of millimeters to damage when you equip it. No idea if it actually does more damage though...

careful said:
I find there's not that many people using the HBS.
Then you skip all your killcams. HBS is crazy popular.

got2bekidding said:
I'll try shooting through windows in Underpass or something. No boosting though, I want to get all my stuff in-game. I just have 181 kills with the WA2000 and not one FMJ kill. It's frustrating me to no end. lol
I really don't get why they didn't spend any time customizing these numbers for each weapon. Getting 40 penetration kills with an LMG is a cakewalk - getting it with a pistol is fucking impossible. Why is it not 10 penetration kills for a handgun or sniper rifle?

The only number I've seen them adjust is how fast you get Akimbo for the 1887's... 10 kills when it's 75 kills with every other weapon. It's like they intentionally unblanaced the 1887's!

Minamu

got2bekidding said:
I'll have to try on Favela then. :/ I love to commando knife on that map, so I'll have to give that up for a bit.

Terminal has a lot of windows too :) I suppose it's one kill per window that count since it breaks, but who knows?

got2bekidding said:

I could see having virtually no FMJ kills with the Intervention, which is a POS IMO. How can you possibly track someone and fire at them behind cover when you're loading a new round every time?

But the others you should be fine. Maybe put an ACOG on those bad boys along with FMJ and continue to fire at people after they round corners, go behind walls, etc. I 've found even killing people behind partial cover... while they're looking out a window, going up a staircase, whatever gives me a pretty good chance at getting the penetration kill.

Sielys

DeuceMojo said:
I could see having virtually no FMJ kills with the Intervention, which is a POS IMO. How can you possibly track someone and fire at them behind cover when you're loading a new round every time?

But the others you should be fine. Maybe put an ACOG on those bad boys along with FMJ and continue to fire at people after they round corners, go behind walls, etc. I 've found even killing people behind partial cover... while they're looking out a window, going up a staircase, whatever gives me a pretty good chance at getting the penetration kill.

Actually intervention was the first gun I got extended mags with!

Also I forgot about terminal, good point. I didn't know windows counted as x-ray kills. If you're lucky, the window will just crack instead of shatter, so 2 kills per a window sometimes.

DeuceMojo said:
Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious.

Seriously now, I have 99 accolades for watching the most killcams. Do accolades have any point whatsoever?
that sounds like the road to a tum tum ache
I have 178 for most stuns with a stun grenade I don't think the do shit.

Lince

Banned
Foxtastical said:
What's up with the infinite ammo, was that fixed?

do you mean the OMA perk? design decision, two fresh grenades for your grenade launcher attachment every 3 seconds, add danger pro to the mix and... :lol

got2bekidding said:
Thanks for the advice everyone, and I do agree with the less FMJ kills for sniper rifles idea.:D
Another great map is highrise. Throw a thermal/fmj bling on and snipe through the blinds, easy as hell to get them there.

Odrion

Banned
careful said:

I sometimes will use them on my machine gunner classes so I know which way the enemies are coming.

Lince said:
do you mean the OMA perk? design decision, two fresh grenades for your grenade launcher attachment every 3 seconds, add danger pro to the mix and... :lol
No, he's talking about a glitch that gives everyone infinite ammo and no reload.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Sielys said:
Wait, why do you have to put FMJ on the 1887's to "unnerf" them? I was under the impression that it was tested and proved that FMJ doesn't increase bullet damage, only damage through walls.

The accuracy deduction you got from adding Akimbo to the 1887s is completely given back to you once you attach FMJ.

1887s w/ Akimbo & FMJ
Bling
Stopping Power
Steady Aim

Patch or no patch, 1887s with that set-up will continue to dominate.

careful said:

I have ninja as an almost standard third perk, so no. But I might be making a class with HBS for kicks some day and it is handy to have sometimes.

But except for the LMG's, the "general direction" always seem kinda useless to me.

Hyunkel6

xxjuicesxx said:
New favorite gametype - Demolition. Holy shit its fun! I had like ten games of incredibly high dongs per minute (DPM)

Ditto. I also discovered how fun this gametype is 3 days ago. Can't stop playing it. :D

Loxley

I refuse to believe that this was the one and only "balancing" patch that IW will issue for MW2. If Akimbo 1887's continue to be an issue do to the FMJ work-around, I wouldn't doubt that they'll do something about it.

Loxley said:
I refuse to believe that this was the one and only "balancing" patch that IW will issue for MW2. If Akimbo 1887's continue to be an issue do to the FMJ work-around, I wouldn't doubt that they'll do something about it.

Oh I'm sure IW just forgot or didn't realize that just nerfing the Akimbo 1887 setup doesn't mean it also nerfs the Akimbo + FMJ setup. Probably in the next patch they'll fix it. Which sucks but you can't pop on Marathon and have a guy running around constantly with them. I've noticed a drastic reduction of 1887 usage and I'm OK with that.

Also I don't doubt they'll nerf or whatever the opposite is called for certain weapons. Anyways, what I'm really hoping they add in the future is:
-Fix the party splitting issue when trying to find games with larger party sizes
-Fix joining games that are past halfway over
Those are the two main MM issues I have, everything else runs fast and smooth.

Right now that's about it, I have a lot of fun playing this game.

backflip10019 said:
Oh yeah, the DPM that we were serving up was ridiculous.

Ridongculous.

Top Bottom