• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Sielys said:
How do you guys choose your emblem/title? Do you base it on just how you like it, or how hard it was to get?

I dont know, just kinda depends on how I'm feelin. When I got the 8 bit emblem/behind enemy lines I rocked that for like a week because it took a while to do.

SmokeMaxX

Sielys said:
How do you guys choose your emblem/title? Do you base it on just how you like it, or how hard it was to get?

Mostly how I feel about it. I do like to flash my hard to get icons like my kill titles for the pistols or whatever, but I also love having fun with 'em. Right now I'm sporting "Chick Magnet" with a chicken emblem. It's awesome. :lol

aku:jiki

Sielys said:
I just try to pick rare emblems (and then a title that fits the emblem), because I spend the intermission looking at everyone else's callsign and like seeing new ones in there so I guess I'm returning the favor or something. Creates conversation in the lobbies sometimes too.

Right now, I'm jealous of dudes rocking gold crosses. What is that for? Like 1000 headshots with that weapon? I'm also pretty sure I saw an iron cross, like for the weapons, but it just said "PRO" instead of a weapon name. Anyone know how to get that one? :lol

gibonez

Banned
God the spawning system in this game is beyond idiotic. Its feels like its completely random sometimes. I have seen the person I killed die and then spawn directly behind me far too many times. Its so frustrating and I bet its just Infinity Wards dumbass decision to make the enemies spawn closer to you in order to keep the action intense :/. If you kill someone they should spawn in the farthest safest location from you not the closest.

Infinity

gibonez said:
God the spawning system in this game is beyond idiotic. Its feels like its completely random sometimes. I have seen the person I killed die and then spawn directly behind me far too many times. Its so frustrating and I bet its just Infinity Wards dumbass decision to make the enemies spawn closer to you in order to keep the action intense :/. If you kill someone they should spawn in the farthest safest location from you not the closest.

Yep, I've had this happen to me quite a bit recently. When it's to my favor, I get the "Payback" message, which at level 43, isn't as cool as it used to be. :)

DMeisterJ

Banned
Sielys said:

I use my AK-47 title cause it took me forever and it's my fave gun, and I have the Chopper Gunner emblem because I like it. I'll move onto the EMP emblem cuz it looks cool.

I need help in this game. I know I tend to be hitting my targets but they seem to keep killing me before I kill them. I don't know if they are using stopping power or if my aim is just sloppy since this is the first FPS game I actually enjoyed.

Is there a site that tells you what gimps you damage wise when using some perks? I think cold-blooded makes you weaker but not totally sure.

I am a noob at this game and I admit it so I am manning up and asking for help.

TimeLike

gibonez said:

How do you know the dude didn't have a tactical insertion planted behind you somewhere? I do that all the time to people and they probably run to the nearest message board to bitch about the terrible spawns! :lol

Mileena

Banned
piccolosan said:
I need help in this game. I know I tend to be hitting my targets but they seem to keep killing me before I kill them. I don't know if they are using stopping power or if my aim is just sloppy since this is the first FPS game I actually enjoyed.

Is there a site that tells you what gimps you damage wise when using some perks? I think cold-blooded makes you weaker but not totally sure.

I am a noob at this game and I admit it so I am manning up and asking for help.
If you aren't playing hardcore I'd say stopping power is needed for every gun. Try using the SCAR or TAR with stopping power and even on regular people usually die fairly quick.

gibonez

Banned
TimeLike said:
How do you know the dude didn't have a tactical insertion planted behind you somewhere? I do that all the time to people and they probably run to the nearest message board to bitch about the terrible spawns! :lol

I am 100 percent sure he did not hae a tactical insertion, he spawned to my right an area I cleared out, no tactical insertion was there.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Sielys said:

Korean flag - identifies my location.

25j8hap.jpg
- Because I like it and rarely see it.

NYR

1887s without fmj are now useless. Picked up some on derail. I walked up behind a sniper, less then 3 feet away. Totally missed. He turns around and knifes me.

I was in shock. Of course I had a really terrible night though, so it could have been me. :D

DRE Fei

I'm starting to hate highrise with a passion now. The last match I played,the other team spent the entire time climbing to the top of the white building and sniping down on us. Is this the future for this map? If so, then the future does not sound like fun. They also had an akimbo shotgun runner camping our spawn from underneath. Unfortunately I didn't have my scavenger sniper kit set up to slow him down with claymores, but I got him with my SPAS-12 a few times. It's pretty frustrating when every other random person on your team doesn't know how to fight fire with fire. I also found a good spot in the red building to catch one guy a on the roof of the white building a few times, but I need to figure out what the other key spots are.

Please GAF, what's the proper way to play this map and deal with these tactics?

NYR said:
1887s without fmj are now useless. Picked up some on derail. I walked up behind a sniper, less then 3 feet away. Totally missed. He turns around and knifes me.

I was in shock. Of course I had a really terrible night though, so it could have been me. :D
I dunno man, I used them today and they are still pretty beastly.

whitehawk

Banned
You what I hate about this game? There's no such thing as cover. I look down an door, oh wait, there's someone there, let's get back behind this wall. Oh wait, he can fucking shoot through it, time to die.

It wouldn't be a problem, but it's so random. Some walls are like glass, and some are like 10 foot concrete (even though its a thing wall). I remember one time there was a guy just outside of the airport (near the spawn point at the lowest point of the level). I knew he was ducking below the opening and behind the wall. I kept shooting at the wall, yet nothing. NOTHING. He pops up and kills me. Fuck.

Is there any chart for FMJ/distance penetration like this one

Rainy Dog said:
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/506/completestats1.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I found a thread [url]http://denkirson.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=518[/url] with info, but I was looking for one that includes distance, thanks

info from the post for those that are interested

[QUOTE]
Shotguns, SMGs, and Handguns (excluding the Magnum/DEagle) all have a low bullet penetration value. Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles, and the Magnum/DEagle all have a high bullet penetration value. ...Naturally a higher pen-value means the weapon can shoot through thicker walls AND at a greater angle. Shooting at a wall straight on will yield the best bullet damage out the other side, and as you strafe [your character] left or right (but still aim at the same point) your angle of penetration increases - the result is lower damage out the other side as that angle increases, and eventually the angle will become so great that you'll no longer be able to penetrate the wall (essentially you've reached a point where the bullet would ricochet off [bullets don't actually ricochet, except off the Riot Shield]). Keep in mind that all glass windows have 100HP, and if you kill an enemy though a window it counts as a pen-kill (stopping power does not increase your damage to the glass).

STEP 1: weapon choice
The first step in learning how to penetrate walls is to understand how bullet damage is reduced when shooting though one (I'll get technical later)... Thus if you really want to learn how to penetrate walls then you first must get a 'feel' for which walls can be penetrated and which can't; the best way to get a feel for penetration is to use any of LMGs. The LMGs are a smart weapon class to start with due to their generous magazine size, they will give you the necessary amount of bullets to spray though a wall and get a feel for how many hits it takes to kill any opponent on the other side. Weapon choice is obviously important, and some weapons do more damage than others, thus from my experience I'll list them in order of penetrating ease, red is best yellow is average and green is poor (weapon damage courtesy of jlesaistu):

Assault Rifles
FAL: 55-35
TAR-21 : 40-30
AK-47: 40-30
Scar-H: 40-30
FAMAS: 40-30
M16: 40-30
M4: 30-20
F2000: 30-20
ACR: 30-20

SMG
UMP: 40-35
Mp5K: 40-20
P90: 30-20
UZI: 30-20
vector: 25-20

LMG
(damage when silenced)
RPD: 40-40 (30-30)
AUG: 40-40 (30-30)
L86: 40-40 (30-30)
MG4: 30-30 (20-20)
m240: 30-30 (20-20)

...As you can see there's a common theme in how I listed the weapons, higher damage is better than lower damage, and automatics are better than burst fire. The only exception is the FAL, which is a semi-auto; it was the last weapon I unlocked e-mags with, and oddly enough it seemed the most effective! I absolutely dominated with it, but then again I had unlocked 18 other weapons before it, so maybe I was just getting ridiculously good at getting pen-kills ;D

STEP 2: perks and weapon attachments
For Perk one I only used these three: Scavenger Pro, Slight of Hand Pro (SoH), and Bling Pro. Scavenger should be used with the SMGs or the Assault Rifles, there's no need for Scavenger with the LMGs, because you'll probably not run out of ammo before dying, but if you're just starting out [penetrating] and are still getting a 'feel' for how the bullets act, then it wouldn't hurt to use it to start with. I found using SoH with the LMGs was pretty useful, due to the faster aiming/reloading. I used Bling the least, but if you want to use it then I suggest you go FMJ/Silencer on the UMP and the Vector, because their max and min damage only vary by 5 points; so you're really not losing much overall effectiveness by silencing them. I personally used Bling with FMJ/Silencer on the RPD and the AUG, and when it comes time to use the L86 LSW, you will need a FMJ/Grip due to it's high recoil.

I found silencing my weapons to be a big help; because it removes the muzzle flash and when you're standing right in front of a wall and you don't have a Silencer on - that muzzle flash can sometimes disorientate you somewhat as it flashes like a strobe light... It's hard to explain, because you have to experience it to understand, but another benefit of a silenced FMJ gun is that your opponent will get so distracted by hearing the FMJ bullets hitting the walls around him he'll have no idea where you're firing from! Holographic/Red Dot Sight aren't needed on any weapon, and I don't recommend their use at all; once you get used to how your weapon fires, you should not ever need to use either sight (IMO they are always a waste of an attachment).

For Perk two I recommend Stopping Power for every weapon! Yes, you just read that correctly :-/ Now before I get shot, let me explain: stopping power increases your damage by x1.4 so if your weapon deals 30 damage up close and 20 at a distance (like the M4A1) stopping power will increase that to 42 up close and 28 at a distance. ...Penetrating walls eventually becomes predictable, and after a few dozen-or-so kills though a particular wall with a particular weapon you'll begin to 'feel' how much you need to shoot to kill an opponent. ...The reason stopping power is so useful is because you never know at what angle you're going to be shooting though a wall to kill an opponent behind it; and it's always best to increase your damage with stopping power as much as possible to help counter the negative effects of 'off angle pen-kills.' Thus, when it comes to penetrating walls, stopping power is a no-brainer. However, if you play the low health gametypes, the FAL is the only weapon (other than the snipers) that doesn't need stopping power to be effective). Dealing 55 damage or more though a wall is usually a guaranteed one-hit-kill in the low health gametypes, because players only have 30HP. Dealing 40 damage will kill when aiming straight at a wall though most thin surfaces, but some brick walls may need 2 hits, that's why stopping power is so useful, because that 40 damage goes up to 56! It's a good rule that for any weapon dealing a max of 30 damage (in low health mode) you should use Stopping Power to make it a viable penetrater, but weapons that deal 40 can get by w/out it, because they will usually kill in 1 hit or possibly 2 hits (1 w/stopping power). ...SMG's always need stopping power when penetrating, otherwise it will take you a really long time to unlock e-mags.

For low health mode using FMJ bullets with high penetration (ARs):
20 damage: 2 hits straight though a standard brick wall, 3 at an angle
30 damage: 2 hits straight though a standard brick wall, 2 at an angle
40 damage: 1 hit straight though a standard brick wall, 2 at an angle
56 damage: 1 hit straight though a standard brick wall, 1 at an angle

For low health mode using FMJ bullets with low penetration (SMGs):
20 damage: 5 hits straight though a standard brick wall, 7 at an angle
30 damage: 4 hits straight though a standard brick wall, 6 at an angle
40 damage: 3 hits straight though a standard brick wall, 5 at an angle
56 damage: 2 hits straight though a standard brick wall, 4 at an angle

...From the above data, it's easy to see that SMG's are pretty terrible at penetrating a brick wall. Thus, you're better off not wasting FMJ as an attachment with the SMGs, except on very select-few maps.

For Perk three Ninja Pro is the best choice, especially if you play Search & Destroy, but Sitrep Pro is also a viable perk. Ninja Pro makes you invisible to enemy Heart Beat Sensors and your footsteps are 90% quieter. Sitrep Pro makes your footsteps, and those of your allies 75% quieter, and your enemies footsteps become 400% louder! I prefer Ninja over Sitrep because your own footsteps are 90% silent, and you're invisible to enemy HBSensors. I've noticed that after playing 34 days of CoD4 and 6 days of MW2 that the CoD community underestimates the power of Deep Impact and FMJ and rely on their eyes instead of their ears to get kills... Which is only natural, since most gamers don't have 5.1 surround sound. If you do happen to have 5.1 then you're in real luck, with a keen ear and an eye on your radar you should be able to determine where an enemy is [behind a wall] and kill him with some practice. I'd have to say that 5.1 is my secret to ownage with FMJ.

Equipment and Special Grenades
Because you'll probably be camping in particular parts of a map lying in wait for your next pen-kill it's a good idea to have Claymores to protect you from the direction you're not looking; even if your enemy destroys your claymore and he doesn't die, the explosion will still alert you to his presence and you can turn to kill him (this is where Scavenger comes in handy). I always used Flash Bang grenades because they have such a large area of effect that I'd throw them into a room and see if I get a hit marker, and if I do then I start spraying bullets - EZ kill!

Epilogue
As you can see from my stats, I'm a decent player, but my stats would be better if I hadn't used every single gun, and worked so hard to get the pen-kills. ...As you play for pen-kills you'll realize that there are certain parts of the maps you will always go to - because they have thinner walls. And sometimes those particular places in the maps aren't the easiest to defend, so death is inevitable. ...Recall from earlier how I said it takes me (on average) 125 kills with FMJ to get the 40 pen-kills, that's pretty remarkable if you think about it; I went to great lengths to unlock e-mags as fast as possible... Sometimes I'd do ridiculous stuff like put a "stop sing" in between my enemy and myself so I'd get the pen-kill. I recommend camping next to a wall that you know an enemy will come at you from behind, and just as you see him coming at you - strafe behind that wall and start shooting! Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, I did some really crazy stuff to guarantee a pen-kill, and if you're eager to unlock e-mag for all your weapons, then you'll probably find yourself making a few sacrifices that you otherwise wouldn't.

And finally a list of the maps and how many pen-kills you can expect in each, I'll list them in order of penetrating ease, red is best and you can expect to average 7 pen-kills a map, yellow is average with 4 kills, and green is poor with a pitiful 1 pen-kill:
Favela, Scrapyard, Rundown, Skidrow, Karachi, Quarry, Invasion, Highrise, Underpass.
Sub Base, Estate, Derail.
Wasteland, Rust, Afghan.

As a final note it's worth mentioning that FMJ does NOT function on the SPAS-12 shotgun[/QUOTE]

Yeef

TimeLike said:
I know because I've had it happen to me both ways (after being killed and after killing someone). I've been killed plenty of times and spawned right behind the person that killed me. I've also spawned a bunch of times either already being shot at and/or already being in an enemy's crosshairs. I've mentioned this before in this thread, but one time I even joined a game mid-match, spawned into a stealth bomber on my first spawn, respawned further into the level directly under the stealth bomber again. The spawning system in this game definitely needs work.

unomas

Banned
Lionheart1827 said:
Just beat spec ops on vet. Last star I had left was high explosive and I did it solo, no corner trick either. I feel like a man now. :lol

Much respect, I just started getting into spec ops and I'm at 18 stars on Vet, and some of those missions have been pretty tough even for being early on. Granted, I was playing with a complete stranger that had no mic, but the guy was good regardless of having a mic or not. Hopefully I'll get all the stars done, but some of those missions are brutal.

Akimbo was such a stupid idea in the first place, and being able to knife with your third arm, and throw stuff with your fourth arm is just ridiculous.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I could swear its 2K and Visual Concepts working on this game with the glitches and patches that do almost nothing

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I just thought up of a way you could use Marathon with the bling 1887s if you really wanted to.

You'll need 3 class slots.

Class 1 needs tactical insertion and one man army
Class 2 needs the bling 1887s and a semtex
Class 3 needs the typical 1887 class perks (marathon, lightweight, etc)

----

Step 1: Set Tactical Insertion
Step 2: One Man Army to your bling 1887 class
Step 3. Switch to the 1887s and throw down a semtex to suicide and drop the 1887s
Step 4. Spawn and use OMA to switch to Marathon Class
Step 5. Pick up your bling 1887s and enjoying running around like a madman with Marathon.

Nyx

Finally reached lvl 42 last night, and in the next game I got the ''<3'' title I wanted so badly.

In love atm with the UMP45, it's so awesome for short/mid-range.

KaYotiX

Banned
Sielys said:

Both, right now im sporting the Gold Famas emblem (500 headshots) and "The Grim Reaper" title (kill 5 guys with one predator missle). Im working on the gold Famas title (1000 headshots) and will be sporting those for a loooong time.

Cipher

gibonez said:

I think that's better than spawning all the way across a big map and having to trek it back to the action, get killed when you do finally make it there and then respawn AGAIN on the other side of the map to do it all over again.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Do you suppose care package knifers could be balanced by counting the killstreak as "used" when you pull out the grenade rather than after you throw it?

OR just not have the carepackage grenade make you run faster (why in the face fuck anybody at IW came up with something so random as that, I'll never know).

finally see the power of bling. I miss scavenger, but I've been using semi automatics outfitted with silencers and heartbeat sensors or thermals and I've been running AC130's and Chopper gunners like they're nobody's business. Now everything from the harriers to the pave lows seem just...fucking useless. Especially the former; you're lucky to keep it in the air for 15 seconds.

I feel so dirty using the heartbeat sensor, though. Seems like such a pansy method.

Starting to hate the 1887's. Feel like that's old news, though.

Sielys said:

I got
juac2e.jpg
just the other day and should put that on. But as I'm playing more of a sniper role at the moment, I have one to suit that instead. Oh and my emblem is
2zfon0w.jpg
because the way I got it was cool.

TheOddOne

WretchedTruman said:
finally see the power of bling. I miss scavenger, but I've been using semi automatics outfitted with silencers and heartbeat sensors or thermals and I've been running AC130's and Chopper gunners like they're nobody's business. Now everything from the harriers to the pave lows seem just...fucking useless. Especially the former; you're lucky to keep it in the air for 15 seconds.

I feel so dirty using the heartbeat sensor, though. Seems like such a pansy method.

Starting to hate the 1887's. Feel like that's old news, though.
I cannot live without the heartbeat sensor, I just can't.

moai

maybe it's luck but all the idiots runing around with 1887 go negative or barely keep a ratio of 1 in the games i've been playing. i don't think they are such a big deal. i play ground war only and they get shot down quickly, mostly getting 1-2 kills at most.
of course it pisses you off when you are the one being killed, but i don't think they dominate.

Cerrius said:
I just thought up of a way you could use Marathon with the bling 1887s if you really wanted to.

You'll need 3 class slots.

Class 1 needs tactical insertion and one man army
Class 2 needs the bling 1887s and a semtex
Class 3 needs the typical 1887 class perks (marathon, lightweight, etc)

----

Step 1: Set Tactical Insertion
Step 2: One Man Army to your bling 1887 class
Step 3. Switch to the 1887s and throw down a semtex to suicide and drop the 1887s
Step 4. Spawn and use OMA to switch to Marathon Class
Step 5. Pick up your bling 1887s and enjoying running around like a madman with Marathon.

Already seen a guy doing that in the very back of Favela. Luckily I killed him a second after he respawned and took the bling 1887s for myself.

Later in the match though he must have succeeded by hiding in the rooftops or something, because the 1887 icon was popping up like crazy after each kill.

aku:jiki

From that big block of text up there...

Sitrep Pro makes your footsteps, and those of your allies 75% quieter, and your enemies footsteps become 400% louder!
Wait, WHAT?! One guy having SitRep Pro quiets the whole team down? I can't be alone in thinking that's terribly bloody gamebreaking? I run with SitRep Pro because I love finding campers by seeing their claymores, but now I just feel dirty and like I've cheated for my team by using it. :(

Edit: Phew, some guy in the thread clarifies that it's only 75% quieter to YOU. Original guy really should've mentioned that.

Domino Theory said:
OR just not have the carepackage grenade make you run faster (why in the face fuck anybody at IW came up with something so random as that, I'll never know).
This! It makes no bloody sense that you run faster with it equipped, at all. The only time you would ever need to be faster and might (but not really) deserve a speed boost is after the crate drops and you have to make the mad dash in case the whole team is coming for your package.

Arjen said:
Holy shit, what a bunch of idiots @ IW
Yeah, um, even the "nerfed" range is still pretty damn insane for a double-wielded shotgun setup. They need to make it half of what they made it now, god damn.

Animator said:
Holy shit the ACR is amazing. Why didnt I use it before?
Also this! ACR with Stopping Power feels so overpowered, I'm afraid that they might nerf my favorite gun too! It's so steady over ridiculous distances too, just find a guy and hold the trigger and you can spray him dead from clear across the valley in Afghan if you like. :lol

Top Bottom