• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

So I ended up unlocking tactical knife through last stand m4 kills and built a knife class with marathon, light weight pro and commando pro and went 25 and 8. That was so over powered :lol :lol Used tar with heartbeat sensor in main hand to scout out locations.

X26

Banned
JustHadToJoin said:
about to play online for the first time ever. Any suggestions on what to play first & what to expect?

play mercenary team deathmatch, no parties and teams constantly changing up make it the best playlist for starting out (and the best playlist period imo)

BlaneH

Banned
It's kinda sad how bad some of the people are. I got the game a week ago and I'm only level 18 and I went 26-6 in one game. I got more triple and double kills tonight than ever before. It's kinda fun.

X26

Banned
Yea I saw some pretty bad scores today (2-17 foro ne guy), but I don't feel sad about it, rather I feel bad about it. People should be able to enjoy the game by playing against other people who've just started...no reason to have lvl 1-20's up against players with days of playtime

...having said that, I'm still going to take the easy points

Minamu

I had a team mate tonight who was lvl 4 (the guy who invited him was on the other team strangely enough, some friend :p). He went 4-27 in a HC HQ match on Estate. Felt pretty bad for him too.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Microsoft has their own TrueSkill ranking system; don't know if it gets used for CoD, though.

I am not sure if that TrueSkill crap has ever worked correctly. I remember when the guys were on Major Nelson talking about it and it sounded great on paper, but in practice I am not seeing it being effective at all. It is supposed to take into account the overall skill of the gamer in every ranked game he plays online. So if a guy is a great Madden player, NBA2k10, UNO, etc. he will be placed with great gamers in ranked games for any other game. What it doesn't take into account is if someone is great at racers and sucks and FPS games. Atleast that is how I understand it.

But if IW is doing all the matchmaking, then does TrueSkill even come into play?

Xevren

Minamu said:
I had a team mate tonight who was lvl 4 (the guy who invited him was on the other team strangely enough, some friend :p). He went 4-27 in a HC HQ match on Estate. Felt pretty bad for him too.

I always feel bad for the really low level people. I remember seeing a dude on my team that wasn't even 10 and he only got one kill and died over 20 times. At least he level'd up from it, persistent guy that one.

dskillzhtown said:
I am not sure if that TrueSkill crap has ever worked correctly. I remember when the guys were on Major Nelson talking about it and it sounded great on paper, but in practice I am not seeing it being effective at all. It is supposed to take into account the overall skill of the gamer in every ranked game he plays online. So if a guy is a great Madden player, NBA2k10, UNO, etc. he will be placed with great gamers in ranked games for any other game. What it doesn't take into account is if someone is great at racers and sucks and FPS games. Atleast that is how I understand it.

True, and on top of that, there are problems - like boosting to 50's in Halo 3 - that make it seem almost counterproductive. I liked the adaption of Elo in Halo 2 - even if it was simpler math, it was obvious to the user what was happening, and by the time you stopped leveling you were in good games pretty consistently ('cept for standby, amoung other things. Fuck standby.)

On a side note, thinking about Halo 2:

There was a bunch of shit wrong with the game. However, it had a party system that always worked, and a friends list that came up right away. How did we get to 2009 with 'AAA' games that still haven't achieved this? This baffles me.

HappyDad

Neo Member
Minamu said:
I thought HQ mode opens up later than lvl 4??? Anyway, I remember the depressing lvl 1-10. Things won't start to roll around the time that I picked up SCAR. Having said that I think MW2 is easier for less skilled players than COD4, while you don't see as much dominating play as COD4 usd to.

Chumly

God dam this game is so fucking frustrating. The matchmaking is fucking garbage. Had to quit tonight after being on the wrong end of too many shit games.

Narag

Xevren said:
I always feel bad for the really low level people. I remember seeing a dude on my team that wasn't even 10 and he only got one kill and died over 20 times. At least he level'd up from it, persistent guy that one.

I do too. I feel guilty when i get frustrated when they're standing in the open and getting mowed down too! They'll learn though and end up murdering me before long. :lol

Probably LTTP on this but got damn at all the Christmas noobs. Holy shit I swear If I had the nuke unlocked I would've put that badboy on. I went 23-0 in some cases.

Rikyfree

Fugu said:
Looks like not a lot of people got this for christmas for PC...
I got it for ps3. I suck at it but it's alot of fun so I don't mind. For a guy who hasn't played a console CoD in over a year, pulling over a 1/1 KD is good. I don't expect to get better what with people having this for over a month. What I do know is that if I weren't going against a large amount of people who are on their like 3rd+ prestige I most likely would be dominating and my KD would be alot higher. But nonetheless I like it. I think I'll be playing it for quite a while unless my GAF Uncharted 2 brethren give me a call.

Man, I suck at this game. Ugh. Got it like a while ago, but only recently started playing multiplayer a lot.

My k/d ratio is close to hitting a 1, yay me. :lol :lol

I am playing really good people though. Like really good players. I'll be there one day.

Anybody want to add me on Ps3? It'll be awesome. Thanks.

StealthSS_D.

whitehawk

Banned
Ugh..

So I was in a party, but set to game chat and playing demolition. I was about to win. Then the party leader leaves, and I'm the last one left so I become the party leader. It automatically puts me in party chat, and I'm kicked out of the game.

Fuck IW, did you not test this game at all?

Wow..just got the new patch on 360....1887's weren't nerfed at ALL. It's like they just gave you a patch to download that did absolutely nothing.

Narag

RapidCancel said:
Wow..just got the new patch on 360....1887's weren't nerfed at ALL. It's like they just gave you a patch to download that did absolutely nothing.

Range was reduced considerably unless someone runs around with bling pro + akimbo + fmj on them. Then its business as usual.

Narag said:
Range was reduced considerably unless someone runs around with bling pro + akimbo + fmj on them. Then its business as usual.

I've been killed from about the same crazy ranges as usual even after the patch from people running around akimbo with it. I've also got some pretty long range kills with it myself. It still has way too much distance.

Victrix

*beard*
RapidCancel said:
I've been killed from about the same crazy ranges as usual even after the patch from people running around akimbo with it. I've also got some pretty long range kills with it myself. It still has way too much distance.

No you haven't, and no you haven't

Go test it in a private match, the akimbo range is ~1014ish distance, it's severely nerfed.

Glitched setup is still full range.

kuYuri

kamikazemartian said:
On a side note, thinking about Halo 2:

There was a bunch of shit wrong with the game. However, it had a party system that always worked, and a friends list that came up right away. How did we get to 2009 with 'AAA' games that still haven't achieved this? This baffles me.

Yes, it's amazing how some shooters still don't get it right or half ass it. Most still don't allow you to transfer party leadership to another player. The only ones I can think of are Halo 2/Halo 3 and Shadowrun.

yankeeforever2 said:
Team full of newbs vs AC130, Think I got 12 kills with that thing :lol :lol

I got my first AC130 yesterday on Highrise while our team was leading with 7300. Totally pwning the other team and some random dude gets the killcam with a handgun.

I hoped that I could get that achievement with the AC130 in the killcam.. :(

Aurora

I'm disappointed at the lack of Christmas noobs.

Also, it's impossible to play against US players with host. I unloaded half a UMP clip into a dude's back before he turned around and single burst me. I spawned next to him and drop shot him only to have him turn around and single burst me again. Shit is so broken.

RapidCancel said:
Going by a youtube video it's range was dropped by about 15%, not much at all imo. maybe 20% but once you get into that range it's a 2 hit kill still.

Like I said before, why not make the gun weak at rage but deadly when up close? instead of being superbeef at any range, long or short?

Aurora said:
I'm disappointed at the lack of Christmas noobs.

Also, it's impossible to play against US players with host. I unloaded half a UMP clip into a dude's back before he turned around and single burst me. I spawned next to him and drop shot him only to have him turn around and single burst me again. Shit is so broken.
This is also why gears of fail is so broken online, that half a second delay feels terrible and can cost you a kill even on equal grounds.

Got this one yesterday:

MyLilPwny.jpg

:lol

I'm using it together with this:

Emblem-girlskull.jpg

Minamu

HappyDad said:
I thought HQ mode opens up later than lvl 4??? Anyway, I remember the depressing lvl 1-10. Things won't start to roll around the time that I picked up SCAR. Having said that I think MW2 is easier for less skilled players than COD4, while you don't see as much dominating play as COD4 usd to.
Yeah it does, but his only friend on his list was around lvl 60 so he must've invited him or he joined a lobby in progress. I think he must've gotten the game with a 360 for xmas. I did an unhealthy amount of digging :lol

TacticalFox88 said:
Probably LTTP on this but got damn at all the Christmas noobs. Holy shit I swear If I had the nuke unlocked I would've put that badboy on. I went 23-0 in some cases.
My buddy got nuke twice in 2 hours today. I didn't have it on, but went on several C-130 sprees. I think my K-D jumped almost 0.1 today. :lol

hgplayer1

Shogmaster said:
My buddy got nuke twice in 2 hours today. I didn't have it on, but went on several C-130 sprees. I think my K-D jumped almost 0.1 today. :lol

Same thing happened to me but it was 2 games in a row. I think someone was boosting because in the 2nd game I looked at the scoreboard closely and the guy that did the nuke and the guy that had the most deaths both left after that 2nd game.

hey guys what are those helicopters some people use to shoot my team for like an entire match?? Those are annoying as hell.

Anyway besides that my first impressions are very positive. I got addicted and played for four hours straight. Sabatoge mode was the most fun for me, especially when one time it got into overtime, and some guy killed me and said "yes we killed their best player" :D :D

I didn't realize you GAF guys were so good though. I always read your posts about 1.5 and above kd ratios and I thought since I read here I'll be good too :lol Didn't happen like that, my ratio is like 0.5 Anyway I'm having a great time, if it wasn't for those non stop helicopter onslaughts I wouldn't really complain at all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
While you guys talk about your KDR and all that, I'm going to sit over here and laugh out loud at Infinty Ward, as they didn't patch the Prestige 10 hack on PS3 completely.

You can still Prestige to 10 in a matter of minutes. Problem is: It's hard as hell and doesn't give you all the titles.

Oh, well, fun to see it. But going back to my main account to grind some more. *sigh*

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
JustHadToJoin said:
hey guys what are those helicopters some people use to shoot my team for like an entire match?? Those are annoying as hell.

Anyway besides that my first impressions are very positive. I got addicted and played for four hours straight. Sabatoge mode was the most fun for me, especially when one time it got into overtime, and some guy killed me and said "yes we killed their best player" :D :D

I didn't realize you GAF guys were so good though. I always read your posts about 1.5 and above kd ratios and I thought since I read here I'll be good too :lol Didn't happen like that, my ratio is like 0.5 Anyway I'm having a great time, if it wasn't for those non stop helicopter onslaughts I wouldn't really complain at all.
The helicopters are killstreaks. When they get a certain amount of kills in a row (6 kills for an attack helicopter, 9 kills for a pavelow, or 11 kills for a chopper gunner) they can call them in and lay waste to your team. When you unlock the perk Cold-Blooded you won't be killed by them, since you will be technically invisible to their thermal scanning.

TheSeks said:
While you guys talk about your KDR and all that, I'm going to sit over here and laugh out loud at Infinty Ward, as they didn't patch the Prestige 10 hack on PS3 completely.

You can still Prestige to 10 in a matter of minutes. Problem is: It's hard as hell and doesn't give you all the titles.

Oh, well, fun to see it. But going back to my main account to grind some more. *sigh*

There's also something going on Xbox if you look at the top scores. There's one guy tied for 1st place who's only played 4 seconds.

Another awesome shitfest that I experienced, friends playing on opposing teams going off into the back part of the map and one guy constantly kills the other guy to get a nuke.

hgplayer1

JustHadToJoin said:

remember to switch to or always carry a rocket launcher for the air support.

I dont do it every time right away but when the score is close I make sure Im not the reason that chopper or harrier is up there shooting us down.

If you just refuse to carry a rocket launcher at least use the cold blooded perk so they cant get you.

aku:jiki

Awwwww man, I was gearing up to take part in the newb slaughter and my 360 RRoD'd out of nowhere from just standing where it always stands. :(

Now no matter what happens to it, I'm missing the free K/D boost! And I really needed it to counterbalance my first month of doing my own sucking, aw.

JustHadToJoin said:
Yeah, it really sucks for new players that the Stinger takes so long to unlock... Takes way too long when you're prestiging too. They didn't realize that the HS-4 or whatever can't possibly take down a Pavelow like ever?

DukeSucks

cold-blooded pro is the nuts for people like me with a little slower reflexes. People will look at you and not aim their gun right away. That extra half a second helps me win a ton of 1 on 1 battles.

One match, the other team dropped an emergency airdrop on highrise. I stole one and as I was stealing the second, two enemies came up to get it (and succeeded since I think their bar fills faster). When it disappeared, I turned around and knifed both of them. They must have thought I was their teammate since I didn't have the red name above me.

DRE Fei

I just discovered the beauty of silenced FAL. This gun is awesome with scavenger/cold blooded/ninja. I'm not even that good and I was destroying people on underpass with this and claymores.:D It's my new favorite silenced weapon.

Minamu

JustHadToJoin said:

There are different helicopters, 2 of which are flying around on their own accord. The one you control yourself, is of course the hardest one to get :) As you gain levels, you'll get keys to unlock new killstreaks, such as Airstrikes & Nukes etc. The helicopter problem will go away for the most part once you get the Cold-Blooded perk. For a really good time, try not to worry about getting titles or a good KD ratio. It's slowly but surely destroying my fun.

And on that note, SitRep is the only perk I have left to get to challenge lvl 6 :O Will take forever. Lightweight & Cold-Blooded are cake walks in comparison, I shit you not.

UFRA

Sir Fragula said:
The netcode in this game is shit. Utter shit.

I don't know much about the technical aspects of games, so can someone enlighten me how a typical gamer can know such a thing as "the netcode is shit" or something to that effect?

I hear friends of mine say this sometimes too, and I wonder how a typical gamer like me can know something like this.

UFRA said:
I don't know much about the technical aspects of games, so can someone enlighten me how a typical gamer can know such a thing as "the netcode is shit" or something to that effect?
Go use Halo 3's matchmaking system, then come back and tell me that the netcode of MW2 is, at the very least, satisfactory.

UFRA

Dax01 said:
Go use Halo 3's matchmaking system, then come back and tell me that the netcode of MW2 is, at the very least, satisfactory.

I'm not defending MW2, I'm just asking how to exactly analyze netcode in a game.

Top Bottom