• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Lince

Banned
Strider2K99 said:
Yes, it's amazing how some shooters still don't get it right or half ass it. Most still don't allow you to transfer party leadership to another player. The only ones I can think of are Halo 2/Halo 3 and Shadowrun.

Resistance 2 and Uncharted 2 got leadership transfer too, and their party systems are leagues better than that of MW2, matchmaking on the other hand... I believe only R2 had both a perfect matchmaking with dedicated servers and some of the best party systems around. Too bad the game, apart from coop, wasn't all that hot.

UFRA

Dax01 said:
Never said you were.

Ok, but I don't have any Halo or a 360, so I can't do that. I just want to know what people see in MW2 or any game rather, where a typical person can claim the netcode is bad.

I mean, is it basically lag that causes people to say this?

Lince

Banned
UFRA said:
I mean, is it basically lag that causes people to say this?

to me the host/ping advantage in this game is brutal, maybe I notice (and suffer) it more because you die so quick and your bullets just go to limbo when you're dead. Killcams are painfully to watch, I usually quit games after watching a lying killcam showing bs.

Walshicus

UFRA said:
I don't know much about the technical aspects of games, so can someone enlighten me how a typical gamer can know such a thing as "the netcode is shit" or something to that effect?

I hear friends of mine say this sometimes too, and I wonder how a typical gamer like me can know something like this.
Well fair enough, I don't know how it's coded. But I do know it has so far given me a series of shitty matches on a pretty decent connection that's brought far better performance on other titles.

UFRA

Lince said:
to me the host/ping advantage in this game is brutal, maybe I notice (and suffer) it more because you die so quick and your bullets just go to limbo when you're dead. Killcams are painfully to watch, I usually quit games after watching a lying killcam showing bs.

I think I know what you mean there. I sometimes get killed after I've moved to cover behind a building made of cement. It's as if the guy killed me through a 3ft thick wall. However in the killcam it shows me dying before I ever even move to cover.

I usually attribute this to my connection though. I have a 30 meg download and a 500 k upload, so I always figured that I was receiving the other player's data way quicker than I was giving him my data, and that's why these things happened.

However, if this is what people mean by bad netcode, then I understand.

it must be painful to be as informed as you guys are about all that netcode stuff, without that knowledge you would just take a loss as a loss instead of as a lag :)

JustHadToJoin said:
it must be painful to be as informed as you guys are about all that netcode stuff, without that knowledge you would just take a loss as a loss instead of as a lag :)

It's the killcam actually that frustrates everyone. I play Hardcore a lot but when I do randomly play regular TDM I find I get way more frustrated since I can see myself being shot while in cover, I can see on my screen me shooting the guy but on the killcam not a single bullet comes out of my gun.

In Hardcore, I die and I just move on and wait to respawn.

Animator

DRE Fei said:
I just discovered the beauty of silenced FAL. This gun is awesome with scavenger/cold blooded/ninja. I'm not even that good and I was destroying people on underpass with this and claymores.:D It's my new favorite silenced weapon.

I just got 45 kills in terminal with the silenced fal and was like "why didnt I use this before?!" :lol

JustHadToJoin said:

Nice. But I do think that the experienced lag in this game (in particular due to the killcam showing you how much) is greater than what you will experience in Halo 3 mp or even Killzone 2 mp (in my experience on EU servers anyway).

I don't think KZ2 and Halo 3 go well over 100ms for EU servers, yet this is standard practise for MW2.

And I really detest 'server migration', so I would say that dedicated servers should have been a standard feature with this game. In particular because many of its maps and perks suggest that it was designed with dedicated servers and not the system in the final product.

Stridone

Banned
Alright GAF, I'm going to share a little secret (maybe LTTP, in that case ignore me). Don't tell anyone else though; AR+Grenade Launcher+One Man Army Pro+Danger Close = pure awesomeness of unlimited noobtubing. Fuck Scavenger, One Man Army Pro is where it's at. Having unlimited grenade launcher ammo is too much fun (and deadly as fuck), I just can't get myself to use the regular M16 anymore.

Smokey

Stridone said:
Alright GAF, I'm going to share a little secret (maybe LTTP, in that case ignore me). Don't tell anyone else though; AR+Grenade Launcher+One Man Army Pro+Danger Close = pure awesomeness of unlimited noobtubing. Fuck Scavenger, One Man Army Pro is where it's at. Having unlimited grenade launcher ammo is too much fun (and deadly as fuck), I just can't get myself to use the regular M16 anymore.

So how does One Man Army work? On the 360 version I was mid 40's on my 1st prestige, and on the PS3 version I just hit level 40. In all of these hours in MP I think I only used OMA like one time.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Lets you swap classes while alive and you get full ammo for the stuff you switch to, so have two classes with OMA and you can spam nades over and over.

Stridone

Banned
Smokey said:
So how does One Man Army work? On the 360 version I was mid 40's on my 1st prestige, and on the PS3 version I just hit level 40. In all of these hours in MP I think I only used OMA like one time.

Normally, it allows you to change classes without dying. But I just re-choose my current class, refilling my ammo and thus my grenade launcher. Regular One Man Army is damn slow, but Pro is fast enough to make it a great trick.

Ikuu said:
Lets you swap classes while alive and you get full ammo for the stuff you switch to, so have two classes with OMA and you can spam nades over and over.

You don't even need two classes, you can select your current one.

Xevren

Smokey said:

It takes away your secondary and you can switch your class immediately, gives you all your ammo and grenades back like new. Takes 5 seconds to switch I think, even less if you have the pro version unlocked., something like that. It can be useful if you don't use your secondary often or just want to fool around a bit.

Lince

Banned
UFRA said:
I usually attribute this to my connection though. I have a 30 meg download and a 500 k upload, so I always figured that I was receiving the other player's data way quicker than I was giving him my data, and that's why these things happened.

500 KB it's more than enough, I don't think you're sending more than 20 KB at any given moment including voice chat... it's all down to how quick can you receive world updates from the host (your ping)

imagine the situation, you're turning a corner and see someone camping on a ledge looking your way, it takes X milliseconds to send the info you're stepping out of cover plus Y milliseconds to receive the data of that enemy facing your way, X+Y is the total time you'll need to start either shooting or going back into cover considering your reaction time is zero... now if the player on the ledge has half your ping he would just need half that time to start aiming and firing at you, the other half would be you doing nothing as the game hasn't updated for you yet... and if you're the host you'll only need said X time since you're the ones sending updates, so the advantage is just incredible.

Most games try to compensate lag with interpolation and prediction routines (some times resulting in I kill you - you kill me situations), making the experience a bit more fair, so I guess that's why the netcode in MW2 is not so great.

Lince

Banned
Zeitgeister said:
It's not as bad as people make it sound. Switching to the tube takes time, using OMA takes time. It's a fun thing to dick around with, but it's unlikely you'll use it beyond that.

OMA pro = less than 3 seconds and you don't have to reload your tube launcher, it comes fully charged and loaded :lol

Zeitgeister said:
It's not as bad as people make it sound. Switching to the tube takes time, using OMA takes time. It's a fun thing to dick around with, but it's unlikely you'll use it beyond that.

I found that Scavenger Pro works way better for me to do the same thing as OMA.

Stridone

Banned
Zeitgeister said:

It hardly takes any time. And it's not only a fun thing to dick around with, I've been getting 2 to 3:1 or even better k/d ratio's pretty consistently with it. Better than with the regular M16.

kitch9

Banned
UFRA said:
I don't know much about the technical aspects of games, so can someone enlighten me how a typical gamer can know such a thing as "the netcode is shit" or something to that effect?

I hear friends of mine say this sometimes too, and I wonder how a typical gamer like me can know something like this.

Its usually the same people who call everybody hackers, campers, glitchers and any other fucking reason why they had to die whilst playing.

Its the same for everybody, the internet and its inherent latency is there for everybody to behold...... Some will just get on with it, whilst others will fucking whinge their tits off about it until they are blue in the face, without realising there's fuck all anybody can do about it.

Some you'll win and some you'll lose in lag based scenarios simple as that.

kitch9 said:
Some you'll win and some you'll lose in lag based scenarios simple as that.

And I'm sure these people aren't complaining when the other guy lags and they get the lucky kill. At that point it's their skill right?

OldJadedGamer said:
And I'm sure these people aren't complaining when the other guy lags and they get the lucky kill. At that point it's their skill right?
Yep :)
But I can still scream at the clouds when it happens to me. Damn the Gods and their capricious ways!

Smokey

Bumblebeetuna said:
OMA is hardly broken, even Pro. The amount of time it takes to switch classes makes it pretty worthless against any team who is any good.

I'm pretty sure all one needs to do is find one of the many dark corners on any map, go prone, and reload their OMA.

Smokey said:
I'm pretty sure all one needs to do is find one of the many dark corners on any map, go prone, and reload their OMA.

Exactly. And it takes very little teamwork or strategy to prevent that.

Hell, it's easier to just use Scavenger Pro and resupply that way. You're still killing people and with that, all you have to do is run over their bodies.

Has anyone here got the Desert Eagle Akimbo? Lord have mercy, with Scavenger pro + Stopping Power Pro+ Ninja Pro I went on a 15 kill streak. :lol Absolutely monsters.

Captain N

Does anyone else have a problem getting online on the PS3?

I can't play online as it doesn't get past the part where it tells me it is loading my player level and everything.

:(

Disguises

Captain N said:
Not on the PS3, but It's taking ages for me to find matches atm on 360. Sometimes I won't find anyone on low-populated playlists and I have to quit out. NAT is open and everything and it was working fine yesterday.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Captain N said:

I can't play online as it doesn't get past the part where it tells me it is loading my player level and everything.

Nope. Just fine for me.

So I really want to get all of the killstreak emblems, and I decided that I would go ahead and try to get the nuke out of the way since it's the hardest.

Ohh. Emm. Gee.

The game goes from incredibly fun to incredibly infuriating when you are deliberately playing for a nuke. Each death is excruciating. Normally I'd be pleased with going 5:1 in a match, but when you die after earning the CG but before you can use it, you devolve into a controller-throwing, couch-punching maniac.

The way I see it, the only ways to legitimately earn the nuke emblem are to either play the game a shit-ton of hours, or party up with some buddies to deliberately run interference for you and keep UAVs and Jammers up at all times (and hope you're playing against idiots).

Let me put it this way. I've played the game for 2.5 days. I haven't even seen a total of ten nukes so far.

UFRA

Captain N said:

What is your NAT type?

Xux

johnFkennedy said:
If people are using one man army to refill their noob tube ammo, why not just use scavenger?

You have to break from cover to use Scavenger. It might be unwise to run out in the middle of the street to pick up the blue baggie from some dork who ran out into the open.

Mileena

Banned
Xux said:
You have to break from cover to use Scavenger. It might be unwise to run out in the middle of the street to pick up the blue baggie from some dork who ran out into the open.
People who don't camp are dorks? Yea, let's all use OMA and camp the whole game! Not moving is fun!

NYR

Maaaan.

So much lag and getting kicked out of games today.

One game on Karachi I had a 10 kill streak with a harrier in the air. I am sitting in a corner waiting for my chopper...and I get kicked out of the game!!!! I got an error message saying "server full". So pissed.

NYR

CrazedArabMan said:
Yes, yes it is.

Also ACR + Silencer + ACOG = Sweetness
Doesn't the silencer negate the range gain on an ACOG? Doesn't it just turn into a weak zoom sight?

Domino Theory said:
Scavenger requires map movement.

Something that's non-existent in Modern Warfare 2.

Go play Halo 3. Have fun running around with your AR. Map movement is just stupid, especially in FPS's. You want to hold down shit communicate with your teammates and outsmart your opponent, not run and gun around with your head cut off.

Dax01 said:
Go use Halo 3's matchmaking system, then come back and tell me that the netcode of MW2 is, at the very least, satisfactory.

I played about ~8000 games of H3. Its way worse than MW2's. Of course you couldn't even explain to me what netcode is so I don't take your comment offensively at all. I know you're young.

Sir Fragula said:
The netcode in this game is shit. Utter shit.

You might be lagging or something, but really insightful comments. Why is it shit? Being put in laggy games isn't what netcode is. Netcode more involves framerate, lag, and collistion detection or non-hits on a game over the internet. Really great post though, would read again.

:lol Its like the Halo 3 defense force posters all coming in at once.

Sielys

NYR said:
Doesn't the silencer negate the range gain on an ACOG? Doesn't it just turn into a weak zoom sight?

I believe ACOG scope actually increases recoil, and since the silencer decreases recoil, they cancel out their negatives. I'll have to find that study on it I saw a while ago.

Top Bottom