• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Narag

Case said:
Jeez, you people need to play ground war and never go back.

Actually this may be why I don't encounter some of the issues others seem to have. In Ground War, there's nearly always someone willing to shoot down air support, combat flows around the maps, and campers are easily put down by numbers alone.

Xux

W00t RPD mastery.

14bq0yw.jpg

Have recently gained respect for the AA-12, which I originally didn't think too much of. It's range and rate of fire make it really helpful.

Arhal_Katarn said:
Not a personal attack against you here but MW2 is full of campers, its even worse the CS on pc back in the day. The amount of times you get killed by someone ducking behind a doorway with a shotgun or someone lying on their gut ads just waiting for someone to walk through the door.

Like i say in an objective game strategic positioning is important but there's a massive difference between that and camping.

I feel like you don't understand this game.

Let's say we're playing on Quarry. I'm patrolling the network of buildings that overlook Bravo/Alpha, when I see a red dot on my radar indicating that someone is coming down the chute. I see the skull, which means he's still alive. I run to the hallway, go prone, pull out my akimbo G18s, and aim down the hall that overlooks Bravo. Sure enough, about 20 seconds later, there he comes. I'm sure he was raging about campers, but in reality, he was forced to give away his position and got out maneuvered.

This sort of thing happens with me all the time. If I see a blip, or if my teammates call out someone's position, you better believe I'm going to watch that doorway and react before they can stop me.

Now, do some people spend the entire game camping in corners, never moving? Sure they do. And they usually go 5-3. Big deal.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
i find even in FFA there are a lot of campers and/or guys waiting around corners with heartbeat sensors which really saps the enjoyment out of the game.

and why wouldn't there be when the map design and perk system encourages it?

-------------
on a side note does anyone else have trouble reading the name of the person who has just killed them? I find the emblem to be terribly distracting and the red text too small, in comparison, to read easily.

Draft

divisionbyzorro said:

Let's say we're playing on Quarry. I'm patrolling the network of buildings that overlook Bravo/Alpha, when I see a red dot on my radar indicating that someone is coming down the chute. I see the skull, which means he's still alive. I run to the hallway, go prone, pull out my akimbo G18s, and aim down the hall that overlooks Bravo. Sure enough, about 20 seconds later, there he comes. I'm sure he was raging about campers, but in reality, he was forced to give away his position and got out maneuvered.

This sort of thing happens with me all the time. If I see a blip, or if my teammates call out someone's position, you better believe I'm going to watch that doorway and react before they can stop me.

Now, do some people spend the entire game camping in corners, never moving? Sure they do. And they usually go 5-3. Big deal.
Nailed it. That's exactly how games like CS and MW work.

Dina said:
Akimbo G18s are a pretty dumb weapon tho. The poor man's 1887.
Oh, you poor bastard... G18s are one of the dirtiest secondary weapons, stupidly accurate in akinbo form and absurdly fast firing. They're easily as good as akimboed 87s, though not quite as powerful. The fact that you can just keep firing easily balances out the lack of punch. Probably my favorite secondary weapon, after the stinger.

Pyke Presco said:
Oh, you poor bastard... G18s are one of the dirtiest secondary weapons, stupidly accurate in akinbo form and absurdly fast firing. They're easily as good as akimboed 87s, though not quite as powerful. The fact that you can just keep firing easily balances out the lack of punch. Probably my favorite secondary weapon, after the stinger.
If you could tac-knife them, they would be my secondary all the time. <3 'em

codecow

divisionbyzorro said:

I lean towards this style of play, although my favorite mode is Ground War Domination. I like this one because on many of the maps your team will be able to defend two points with minimal movement.

In particular Terminal you can control B and C and then from the roof you have a shot at the cockpit, plane entry, B, the entire long glass walkway, and the guys defending A. So you can basically stay in one spot and shoot almost every place on the map.

Another one is Quarry. On Quarry you can basically stay in the upstairs of the two buildings where you have a clean shot into the room with B from a walkway and you go back and forth around A. So again you can stay in one spot and hit 2 nodes.

And then again in Underpass it is the same thing. A and B can both be fired upon with maybe 50' of movement.

Unless I get lucky with my killstreaks and manage to get my Harrier (and then Pavelow or CG), often I will go 10-3 or 9-3 or whatever with a score of around 1k. This is normally not that great, like middle of the range. However I normally finish with the highest K/D and I have barely contributed at all to the enemy KS. It is fun for me to play even though my score sucks and it is taking me a long time to prestige.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm fucking sucking today. I can't get my harrier as a killstreak, so I go 'back to basics' with Care Package, Predator and EAD, and I can't even get care packages with Hardline on.

Sigh.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Akimbo 1887 + HQ = 19 Killstreak awesome story.

Kill a dude, pick up his Akimbos. Start strafing left/right behind the cover while looking left right. Pop bitches while getting my killstreaks. Leave HQ, continue to pop bitches past my Harrier. Pop Sentry. Carepackage. Two sentry guns. Put them on the roof. Own to 19 until someone sneaks up on my ass.

Pretty awesome feeling, esp. during the strafing in the HQ point. :lol

QQ GAF, QQ about the 1887's awesome power. :lol :lol :lol

Also met my first Nuke boosters today. Found out about them from the spectator cam in HQ and them killing my teammate. A couple of Famas grenade launchers up there to stop them and they STILL go back to that point and try to kill me to keep their streak for the nuke. So sad. :lol :lol :lol :lol Learn to play, assholes.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
TheSeks said:
Akimbo 1887 + HQ = 19 Killstreak awesome story.

Kill a dude, pick up his Akimbos. Start strafing left/right behind the cover while looking left right. Pop bitches while getting my killstreaks. Leave HQ, continue to pop bitches past my Harrier. Pop Sentry. Carepackage. Two sentry guns. Put them on the roof. Own to 19 until someone sneaks up on my ass.

Pretty awesome feeling, esp. during the strafing in the HQ point. :lol

QQ GAF, QQ about the 1887's awesome power. :lol :lol :lol

Also met my first Nuke boosters today. Found out about them from the spectator cam in HQ and them killing my teammate. A couple of Famas grenade launchers up there to stop them and they STILL go back to that point and try to kill me to keep their streak for the nuke. So sad. :lol :lol :lol :lol Learn to play, assholes.
I love boosters, it's so fun to stop them. It's like a game in itself. Me and my friend made it a point to find boosters and follow them and make it our mission to stop them. We call ourselves the "anti-boost squad." We find the boosters, kill them, and then send them a message that says, " No nuke for you ;) " We've played some boosters that got to the point where they had BODYGUARDS guarding the boosters and me and my friend had to take them out. It was so fun :lol :lol

K2Valor said:
I love boosters, it's so fun to stop them. It's like a game in itself. Me and my friend made it a point to find boosters and follow them and make it our mission to stop them. We call ourselves the "anti-boost squad." We find the boosters, kill them, and then send them a message that says, " No nuke for you ;) " We've played some boosters that got to the point where they had BODYGUARDS guarding the boosters and me and my friend had to take them out. It was so fun :lol :lol
Boosters? I must've missed something.

Finally closing in on 70 after only playing a couple of days a week since launch. Think I'm just going to mess around with the AK and go for a nuke once I get there. No way in hell am I going prestige in this. I have zero desire to level up again. I'll probably end up taking a break after 70 anyway.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
TacticalFox88 said:
Boosters? I must've missed something.
Nuke boosting.
Two members, opposite teams. Tactical insertions right next to each other. One person keeps spawning and the other person keeps killing him. Nuke in a matter of seconds.

K2Valor said:
Nuke boosting.
Two members, opposite teams. Tactical insertions right next to each other. One person keeps spawning and the other person keeps killing him. Nuke in a matter of seconds.
How would that work though? How could the two people ensure they would end up on the same matchmaking server on different teams? Parties put you on the same team.

Minamu

D4Danger said:
The first one with the banana leaves is messed up. I wonder if FMJ makes a difference?
I don't think so. Those leaves always piss me off 'cause there's almost always some dude up there & he can't be killed >_< I think FMJ only works on intended surfaces, and these leaves are, as you say, messed up.

TacticalFox88 said:
How would that work though? How could the two people ensure they would end up on the same matchmaking server on different teams? Parties put you on the same team.

Not if you join a party with an open slot that a friend on your list is on. Like click his name and then Join Session in Progress. It'll put you on the other team and of course they do it in Ground Wars or something with party chat and figure a place to go out of the way. Noone really notices that kind of shit going on and before you know it one dude is 25-0 and one dude is 0-25, obviously its a boosted nuke.

X26

Banned
prestiged again yesterday and saw that some prestige challenges reset and some didn't. A few like stealth I had completed previously so that's good, but others like the stun and flash ones I didn't and those reset too. How's it work?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
TacticalFox88 said:
On XBL, you join a Mercenaries Team Deathmatch game via the "Join Session In Progress" option through XBL.

Sometimes it puts you on the same team, sometimes it doesn't. I imagine you could use that method in any of the playlists.

K2Valor said:
Nuke boosting.

There is much fun to be had hunting boosters. It becomes the meta game if i notice someone boosting. Seek them out and terminate, k/d be damned. I swear when i come upon them the light from the flare makes it look like they are cozing up for a romantic dinner at a french bistro.

Qwell

NeoGIF said:
Just saw this sweet deal. MW2 for $39.99 on Amazon.com today:

http://bit.ly/5huhBQ
Just noticed that as well, only for the consoles though, PC is still their regular price of $52, is the PC version ever going to go on sale? I was one of the lucky people to have my paid for steam key get nixed (thanks Activision), but I'm not going to pay full price to be able to play the PC version again since I already have the PS3. Hoping it shows up on the steam daily deal before it ends.

grap3fruitman said:
Just tried it with FMJ and no luck. That's messed up.

I hate when games have ridiculous physics around foliage. Seriously just don't even give the foliage any physics...how fucking hard is that?

todahawk

DMeisterJ said:
I'm fucking sucking today. I can't get my harrier as a killstreak, so I go 'back to basics' with Care Package, Predator and EAD, and I can't even get care packages with Hardline on.

Sigh.

Weird how that works. Once second you're unstoppable and the next you can't get two kills in a row.

If that happens and i'm getting pissed I tend to pull out my BOOM class: M16 with M203, thumper, grenade, scavenger, danger close.

xxjuicesxx said:
Except People get booted before games even start in Halo 3 all the time. Its called incompatible NAT's thats not netcode either.

Hit detection is the main area where MW2 excels so greatly.
The leading and spread of the BR in Halo 3 leads to some really shitty scenarios where you shoot and shoot and shoot in whats a supposed 4 shot kill weapon but it takes entire clips to get kills. Its just really bad over Live, whereas most MW 2 weapons will take one or two shots and actually register. The truth is MW2 is miles ahead in netcode whether any of you HaloGAF players want to admit. The netcode is also much leaner leading to less lag in most games, especially larger games. Hell in Customs Night we could barely get a playable custom game with 8 players, I immediately got angry and went and switched to MW2 and went into 18 player ground wars games and it was basically "lag" free, yes there was some ping, but I could tell it was minimal as it can be in 2009.

Actually it does not excel in this area, I did some testing with player collision only to find out there is no actual full body collision, the body collision is only boxes around the player, that is why if you aim close to their body but not on it, you will still hit them. This also explains why shooting at a players legs, even if you shoot between them, you will still hit them. So they more or less cheated to get "good" collision.

CrazedArabMan said:
Actually it does not excel in this area, I did some testing with player collision only to find out there is no actual full body collision, the body collision is only boxes around the player, that is why if you aim close to their body but not on it, you will still hit them. This also explains why shooting at a players legs, even if you shoot between them, you will still hit them. So they more or less cheated to get "good" collision.

Well it works. So whatever they did they did it better. IMO gameplay is much greater of importance. So if they had to make sacrifices they made sacrifices. I could pinpoint a lot of shit wrong with the hitboxes in Halo 3 too (mainly the fact that they just don't work at all, I've gotten so many sniper headshots only to not count - elites have a hole in their neck and their entire shape and actions while jumping make them superior in most gametypes especially SWAT, etc.)

whitehawk

Banned
Oh wow, just had my best game ever yesterday!!! I went 52 - 16, a new record. also got a killstreak of 19, another record.

I was using the Fal, with red dot + sleight of hand, stopping power and ninja I think. I couldn't believe how good I was doing. I love the Fal.

Also I just unlocked the 1887s. Wow, they totally ruined these. On one hand, they are completely useless with just the Akimbo. I can't kill people in the same small room as me. But then if you put on Bling Pro and use Akimbo + FMJ, it's the same as it was before the patch. I'm killing people from so far away. It's crazy. I've been in the top position many times from just running around with these things.

They need to properly patch them. Make them a bit stronger normally, and less strong with Bling Pro.

Maximus.

divisionbyzorro said:

winner. thanks for explaining this to everyone! Honestly said it perfectly :lol

Lince

Banned
got my cheapest nuke ever on Afghan today, scavenger + danger close + RPG + claymores, they just kept coming through the bunker which connects A and B... the harrier strike took so many guys that by then the chopper gunner was a formality, so I just waited until their team was about to win the match and... nuke ! :lol

todahawk

Lince said:
got my cheapest nuke ever on Afghan today, scavenger + danger close + RPG + claymores, they just kept coming through the bunker which connects A and B... the harrier strike took so many guys that by then the chopper gunner was a formality, so I just waited until their team was about to win the match and... nuke ! :lol

What was your primary weapon? Just curious...

codecow said:
I lean towards this style of play, although my favorite mode is Ground War Domination. I like this one because on many of the maps your team will be able to defend two points with minimal movement.

In particular Terminal you can control B and C and then from the roof you have a shot at the cockpit, plane entry, B, the entire long glass walkway, and the guys defending A. So you can basically stay in one spot and shoot almost every place on the map.

Another one is Quarry. On Quarry you can basically stay in the upstairs of the two buildings where you have a clean shot into the room with B from a walkway and you go back and forth around A. So again you can stay in one spot and hit 2 nodes.

And then again in Underpass it is the same thing. A and B can both be fired upon with maybe 50' of movement.

Unless I get lucky with my killstreaks and manage to get my Harrier (and then Pavelow or CG), often I will go 10-3 or 9-3 or whatever with a score of around 1k. This is normally not that great, like middle of the range. However I normally finish with the highest K/D and I have barely contributed at all to the enemy KS. It is fun for me to play even though my score sucks and it is taking me a long time to prestige.

Well, I think that alot of the camping is coming from lower ranked players. Remember you are pretty much killstreak fodder in this game until you unlock the stinger (lvl 34 I believe). They give you this crappy At4 which takes three rockets to down an aerial vehicle, but you only spawn with one rocket. So unless you have scavenger with some dead bodies around, the only common sense thing to do is camp. I blame IW for the camping situation. You should have an effective way to combat kill streaks from the start.

Top Bottom