• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
TheSeks said:
Halo 1 was balanced, with the exception of the pistol. I still have no clue why the hell Bungie put a scope like that on a sidearm. It makes no sense at all.
Well that's exactly what I was implying.

S1lent

The pistol was great in Halo 1, it was the equalizer. Everybody started out with it and you could own with it in most situations. Thus, more often it was the person with the most skill, not the better load out, that would be the victor in a firefight.

Neverfade

S1lent said:
The pistol was great in Halo 1, it was the equalizer. Everybody started out with it and you could own with it in most situations. Thus, more often it was the person with the most skill, not the better load out, that would be the victor in a firefight.

This. An imbalance would be if it were available only to a select group.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I tried the ACR for a second time and I still don't really understand the love it gets. Even with stopping power, it's too weak — I can take people out with the TAR (with stopping power) in almost half the time. I run around like a wild banshee with my TAR + sleight of hand + stopping power class because almost no one can kill me one-on-one. It's a deadly setup. The ACR is more accurate, but not by much... I still get lots of longshot kills with the TAR. I guess what I'm saying is: try the TAR if you haven't. It rules.

whitehawk

Banned
Oh man, just got to lvl 70 and I LOVE the AK47. Just went 27 - 4 on a demolition match. And that was without red dot sight or anything :D :D

Also, fuck the haters. I'm using the 1887s with the FMJ+Akimbo thing, and I love it :lol :lol :D :D

gibonez

Banned
vatstep said:
I tried the ACR for a second time and I still don't really understand the love it gets. Even with stopping power, it's too weak — I can take people out with the TAR (with stopping power) in almost half the time. I run around like a wild banshee with my TAR + sleight of hand + stopping power class because almost no one can kill me one-on-one. It's a deadly setup. The ACR is more accurate, but not by much... I still get lots of longshot kills with the TAR. I guess what I'm saying is: try the TAR if you haven't. It rules.

ACR gets love because it has absolutely 0 recoil. Combined with the fact that the environments are made out of tissue paper and the acr proves to be lethal at any range especially long range with a red dot or Eotech sight.

gibonez said:
They should replace the timers on the ac130 and Chopper gunner with actual ammo counts, 3 105mm rounds, 12 40mm rounds, 4 long bursts of the 30mm.

40 rounds for the chopper gunner.

Would even make more sense. "OH NOEZ WE ONLY HAVE 30 SECONDS TO COVER YOUR ASS, WE MUST BE HOME AT 6PM!!!1".

And btw. Marathon, Sprint and Commando Pro are still way more dangerous than some guy clowning around with the 1887s. I got so many 5-kills-killstreaks yesterday with only the knife it was awesome. And when somebody saw me too early I hit him with the P90. On some maps I ran around like a mad man with the care package marker in my hand. I sometimes had like 3 care packages left. :lol

gibonez

Banned
Graf Nudu said:
Would even make more sense. "OH NOEZ WE ONLY HAVE 30 SECONDS TO COVER YOUR ASS, WE MUST BE HOME AT 6PM!!!1".

And btw. Marathon, Sprint and Commando Pro are still way more dangerous than some guy clowning around with the 1887s. I got so many 5-kills-killstreaks yesterday with only the knife it was awesome. And when somebody saw me too early I hit him with the P90. On some maps I ran around like a mad man with the care package marker in my hand. I sometimes had like 3 care packages left. :lol

Thats a glitch isnt it ? Makes you run much faster and take extra shots for some reason.

gibonez

Banned
Everyone just refers to it as the care package glitch. All I know is if you have the care package smoke grenade on your hand and you run sprint you sprint faster and take more bullets to die.

Dina

whitehawk said:
No it's not a glitch.

It's fucking dumb though. The lightweight-marathon-commando knife combo shouldn't be in an arcade shooter, imo, but the care package bug just takes the cake.

Graf Nudu said:

Depends on the map as well. On Rundown or Underpass you can run at the edge of the map and easily flank the enemy team.

On maps like Terminal or Scrapyard it's useless IMO. Anyone with Scar/Tar/ACR with stopping power will mow you down pretty fast.

My knife build consists of Marathon, Lightweight, and Ninja w/ tac knife because even on maps like Underpass or Rundown, people camp with HB sensors.

This way I can still be fast, knife quickly, and not show up on someone's mini-UAV.

And I agree, the care package marker with the knife build is great for some lulz. :lol

Insaniac

Graf Nudu said:

SHHH. don't let them nerf my knife class :(

gibonez

Banned
Only thing that needs to be done in game to compete against the lightweight, marathon and commando people is when a lightweight person triggers a claymore it should detonate faster, so they are caught in the explosion.

aku:jiki

TacticalFox88 said:
So despite all the problems GAF is reporting and it's flaws are blatantly obvious....why the hell did this game score so high in the media? I mean some reviewers actually PRAISED it's MP for being balanced. WTF!
It's the eternal, impossible problem of game reviews. How can media fully test the MP balance if they can't just join a few Ground War games against a few dozen random players? How can they run a test like that if they have to review the game before it's out? How can they sell copies of their magazine if they wait 2 months to review every game to make sure it's a properly analytical review? They can't, because gamers demand instant reviews. Basically, in short, all reviews of all MP modes or all long-haul MMO games and such are worthless because they can't possibly get a proper feel for the game by running against 3 players on a secret test server.

TheSeks said:
It is balanced. Even pre-patched 1887's were balanced.
This is some weird sarcasm.

Neverfade said:
This. An imbalance would be if it were available only to a select group.
That's not what weapon balance is. Weapon balance means that no gun is supposed to outrightly kick another gun's ass, because everybody's playstyle and preferences should have a chance at winning. Saying "well, you can just equip the same weapon and kill him with it!" does not mean the game is balanced (it's actually a pretty strong confirmation that it's unbalanced) - you're supposed to have an equally good chance with any weapon of your choosing.

whitehawk said:
No it's not a glitch.
It's not a glitch, but it's not intentional either. There's no way MW2 considered what that did to the game before releasing it, and using it is clearly cheap. It's like camping is not a glitch or a cheat, but pretty fucking lame and not very sporting. It's certainly not something you should defend using anyway...

gibonez said:
Only thing that needs to be done in game to compete against the lightweight, marathon and commando people is when a lightweight person triggers a claymore it should detonate faster, so they are caught in the explosion.

There are only a few people using claymores at all.

Graf Nudu said:
Tell me about it! I run with SitRep equipped pretty much constantly from level 37 when it unlocks straight through to 70 and my next prestige and I use it to snuff out campers and boosters every single time I see that red symbol somewhere, and at level 70 I'll still only have like 75/120 mines destroyed for Pro...

But I do agree with them: tactical insertion, throwing knife and semtex are all more fun to have than claymores.

Graf Nudu said:

1. They absolutely SUCK now. The only way to get any use out of them is by using Danger Close because any regular joe soldier without lightweight can run right through them.

2. They only give you one to start out with. To get another one you have to have Scavenger, and scavenge a body which only puts you in the line of fire.

I rarely use anything but Semtex now. You can put them back into your "pocket" if your target gets killed before you throw it, they go right where you want them to without fear of rolling, and they explode quickly. I will NEVER get Sitrep Pro

Truth is for every hour of gameplay someone on GAF plays any game, they spend 12.34594 minutes bitching about it on GAF.

I'm not kidding, Tashi brought up a good point none of HaloGAF plays Halo 3 anymore, besides Tashi of course.

Yes this is the MW2 thread so what does that have to do with it?

I see regulars come in here and bitch but for some reason they still play it. The game might not be exactly what you want but no way in hell is it bad, reviewers have every right to give this game high scores, the single player is fun as hell and has great graphics sure the story is out there but if you really want a story go play an RPG or read a fucking book. Hell MW2 is probably the most balanced low glitch game especially regarding Multiplayer on XBL at the moment. The community size is also ridiculously large, which makes it so much easier to jump in with friends and find a match quickly.

Say for instance you got shotgunned at medium-short range from a shotgun. You can say oh shit shotguns are overpowered. Thats not true. Shotguns were meant to win most of the time in up close battles, you let someone get to close to you and got killed. AR's take people down from far, LMG's can outspray an AR, but precision can beat it. Its all in weapon types and how you play, nothing is a go to win. I've gone negative using my explosive class. Theres nothing thats just an automatic win button. The game IS balanced, whether it pisses you off or not sometimes.

NeoCross

So how do you get the AFK accolade? I just prone in one spot for an entire match without shooting and I still don't get it after the match. Do I need to not move at all at the start of the game?

FabCam

gibonez said:
Everyone just refers to it as the care package glitch. All I know is if you have the care package smoke grenade on your hand and you run sprint you sprint faster and take more bullets to die.

I'm pretty sure it's intentional. Think about it, you have no weapon so can flat out sprint. Makes sense to me...

Everdred

NeoCross said:
So how do you get the AFK accolade? I just prone in one spot for an entire match without shooting and I still don't get it after the match. Do I need to not move at all at the start of the game?
This will get you booted. Happened to me when I had to poop.

gibonez said:
Thats a glitch isnt it ? Makes you run much faster and take extra shots for some reason.
You can't take extra shots it's just easier to strafe. I don't get why people complain about it either. I can't shoot you from range cause i have a care package in my hand and people that try and take me down with a rifle at short range deserved to get stabbed

NeoCross

Everdred said:
This will get you booted. Happened to me when I had to poop.
Lmao. For three matches I wasn't participating at all, I just find a spot and prone there until the match ends. People were like "wtf mang :\"

Still did not get the accolade though :|

LosDaddie

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Truth is for every hour of gameplay someone on GAF plays any game, they spend 12.34594 minutes bitching about it on GAF.

I'm not kidding, Tashi brought up a good point none of HaloGAF plays Halo 3 anymore, besides Tashi of course.

Yes this is the MW2 thread so what does that have to do with it?

I see regulars come in here and bitch but for some reason they still play it. The game might not be exactly what you want but no way in hell is it bad, reviewers have every right to give this game high scores, the single player is fun as hell and has great graphics sure the story is out there but if you really want a story go play an RPG or read a fucking book. Hell MW2 is probably the most balanced low glitch game especially regarding Multiplayer on XBL at the moment. The community size is also ridiculously large, which makes it so much easier to jump in with friends and find a match quickly.

Say for instance you got shotgunned at medium-short range from a shotgun. You can say oh shit shotguns are overpowered. Thats not true. Shotguns were meant to win most of the time in up close battles, you let someone get to close to you and got killed. AR's take people down from far, LMG's can outspray an AR, but precision can beat it. Its all in weapon types and how you play, nothing is a go to win. I've gone negative using my explosive class. Theres nothing thats just an automatic win button. The game IS balanced, whether it pisses you off or not sometimes.

Well said!

MW2 is a fucking awesome game and that's why GAF still plays it. People just love to cry about it because it's insanely popular and a multiplatform game.

LosDaddie said:
Well said!

MW2 is a fucking awesome game and that's why GAF still plays it. People just love to cry about it because it's insanely popular and a multiplatform game.

So you have to love MW2 or hate it?

You can't enjoy it but see where there's room for improvement, acknowledging some annoyances?

Fuck! I've been doing it wrong.

Narag

I still make judicious use of claymores especially with scavenger pro. Drop a couple in one spot and it becomes expected. Then I get another kill by setting one in some corner further from my old spot as people are rushing back to clear where I usually set them. Those staircases on highrise become deathtraps!

taylor910

ILOVEASIANS said:
Just played with a guy who called his nuke in the lobby. Sure enough, 27-2 later, here it comes. Wish I could do shit like that.

All you have to do is call 'nuke' every game. Eventually...

FabCam said:
I'm pretty sure it's intentional. Think about it, you have no weapon so can flat out sprint. Makes sense to me...
Except you do have a weapon, the knife. And with Commando and Marathon, you're incredibly fucking dangerous to anyone. Anyone saying we can just shoot these bastards hasn't really had to battle that many.

LosDaddie said:
Saying something like that is just offensive. Yes, we love the game but we also have very valid complaints that should not have passed the testing phase. This game is great fun, but it was also extremely rushed - if you can't see that, that's your inexperience with judging game design, not ours.

Narag said:
I still make judicious use of claymores especially with scavenger pro. Drop a couple in one spot and it becomes expected. Then I get another kill by setting one in some corner further from my old spot as people are rushing back to clear where I usually set them. Those staircases on highrise become deathtraps!
Me and SitRep will outsmart that plan the first time we see it. :D

People really should be using SitRep more. Or not, I like being the only one who knows where people are and stuff. Now if people could just use Tactical Insertion more so I can get my Darkbringer title... :/

Narag

aku:jiki said:
Me and SitRep will outsmart that plan the first time we see it. :D

Thank god so few use that! Its irritating to have to swap classes because my equipment is useless and gives away a position! Its as bad as having to switch to a ninja oriented class when those HBS motherfuckers knife me! :lol

Mik2121

_Alkaline_ said:
I used claymores all the time in COD4. Not the case in MW2.
I just used them a lot right now, with Scavenger Pro, and I ended up 31-7. Not bad imo. Got about 8 kills with the claymores.

LosDaddie

Banned
jonnybryce said:
So you have to love MW2 or hate it?

You can't enjoy it but see where there's room for improvement, acknowledging some annoyances?

Fuck! I've been doing it wrong.

Saying something like that is just offensive. Yes, we love the game but we also have very valid complaints that should not have passed the testing phase. This game is great fun, but it was also extremely rushed - if you can't see that, that's your inexperience with judging game design, not ours.

Ya know, it's funny how someone can shit on MW2 and no one will say a fucking word about it. Not one fucking word. Here's a great example from 1 page back:

MW2 is a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Most of the maps are shit for starters, the map playlist is crap...

But GOD FORBID someone actually praise MW2 and you guys get all bent out of shape about it. :lol

Except you do have a weapon, the knife. And with Commando and Marathon, you're incredibly fucking dangerous to anyone. Anyone saying we can just shoot these bastards hasn't really had to battle that many.

Thats because people use rifles instead of shotties/smg

Lince

Banned
yes even with the balance issues and flaws you can't deny the game is massively popular... I have 20+ University friends on my PSN list playing everyday, every time I log in I'm flooded with invitations so although the game is not exactly my cup of tea I can't say no to the trash talk and laughs, the new crack when playing domination on Skidrow is gathering together then sticking ourselves with semtex and rush into B like mad :lol

Net_Wrecker said:
1. They absolutely SUCK now. The only way to get any use out of them is by using Danger Close because any regular joe soldier without lightweight can run right through them.

2. They only give you one to start out with. To get another one you have to have Scavenger, and scavenge a body which only puts you in the line of fire.

I rarely use anything but Semtex now. You can put them back into your "pocket" if your target gets killed before you throw it, they go right where you want them to without fear of rolling, and they explode quickly. I will NEVER get Sitrep Pro

Claymores are seriously broken. I've been killed quite a few times by someone literally standing on my claymore. Some times they go off but do no damage even if the person is right on top of the claymore. Other times it just won't off at all.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Claymores are fine.

If claymores get any better than they currently are, I'm going to lose my shit even harder than I already do :lol

People who place them well don't have to worry about people rushing past them. The problem is when someone plants it DIRECTLY around a corner, so the only way to trigger it is actually turn that corner...but guess what...I've already run past that point before the explosion. Plant them further back so I can trigger them earlier and I promise you I won't be able to run past them.

...now sniper rifles...that's something we can all agree needs to go...WHO'S WITH ME! ...guys?

Got my K/D up to 1.28 (holy fuck, I have to go like 3:1 for five games in a row to make my K/D jump a hundredth of a point) and my accuracy is hovering around 19.25% as well.

Missing my ACR so so so so so much (because I prestiged again because I get bored easily).

Got Cold-Blooded Pro in one game (thanks Cold-Blooded Pro glitch that hurts no one) and Ninja Pro after probably 10 games. Level 48 can't come soon enough. When I see an ACR on the floor I pick it up and get an evil grin :lol

In the meantime my silencer SCAR is doing it's job.

Mik2121

Holy shit, I ended up literally in TEARS in the current game. But tears because I couldn't stop laughing! :lol :lol :lol :lol

I was playing in derail against some (I hope) Christmas noobs, and I was (hate me!) camping on the center building, with my claymore and scavenger.
So as always, I set up two claymore on each entrance, and move around as the whole enemy team tries to enter the building, and I keep racking up kills. Now.. this is the awesome part..

You know one of the entrances to the building in the center is via some really small stairs where only one person can walk by, right? I was standing right at the top of that area looking down the stars and see on my radar a couple red points so I stay looking, when I see 4 guys standing just in the middle of the stair, probably looking for some claymore. I decided to knife one of them from there, but when I pressed the right stick, I accidentally also pushed forward on the left stick and felt between the first and the second guys (remember the stairs are very thin so only 1 person can cross). It was something like this:

(the dots are where the stairs continue, big X are the enemies and small X me. there are walls just at both sides of us)
I was all scared thinking they would totally own me, so I decided to knife around. Kill the one right besides me, then the other. I'm thinking they totally noticed me falling down and are just aiming at me, but they seem to be looking somewhere else, so I keep knifing.. with just the basic knife, I don't have any of the perks nor the tactical knife. I ended up knifing all 4 of them. Added a claymore right there and about half a second later the first guy I knifed stepped over it and died again (I guess I used the item to respawn where he wants).

Maybe if you read it, it's not that funny, but holy shit seeing (and doing) it in person was incredibly funny. They looked like incredibly low CPU bots. Just looking around and me right in front of them for a few seconds knifing them all :lol :lol :lol :lol

EDIT - Ah, this is the scoreboard for that game:

vcz9fn.jpg

And yep. Claymore work perfectly if you know where to place them.

GodofWine

RubxQub said:
...now sniper rifles...that's something we can all agree needs to go...WHO'S WITH ME! ...guys?.

I am...they have no place in MP games like this...nor do 'headshots'...the lag/hit detection even at its finest misplaces hits often enough that all hits should be equal, and 3 hits = death, (2 with SP)...and one hit from within 10ft. (on average).

I also think that W/L / points per game should be the stats that they make most visible...K:D ratio shit just ruins every mode in the game besides TDM.

As much as I hate this game...I look forward to playing it nightly...if for no other reason than to see how close they can spawn me to the guy who just killed me...last night, I spawned within pistol range on WASTELAND of the guy.

WoodWERD

NeoCross said:
Lmao. For three matches I wasn't participating at all, I just find a spot and prone there until the match ends. People were like "wtf mang :\"

Still did not get the accolade though :|

Yeah I tried it once successfully and nothing happened :\

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I finished the SP last night on Hardened in about 6.5 hours. Pretty intense, but I think I enjoyed COD4 more. Now, I am working my way through Spec-Ops. I think I will need a partner to get the 3 star scores. Then, I may move on to MP. I am still not all that interested in the MP as much as I used to be.

Mik2121 said:

This.

Yep there are great if you know how to use them. Its a little harder then CoD4 was I agree (Speed Classes get by them 90% of the time) but you have to set them up so a person triggers them and walks into the explosion.
To do this they have to be put on an angle blasting into the room so to say.

I use them alot on Scrapyard and lock down the one building that has a little office up stairs. Along with Scavenger and Danger Close I repeatedly get people running through the side door as I toob out the windows on top.
People run in and get blown up, I go own stairs and Scavenge a new one and some toob ammo and repeat. I hardly ever leave the building and always manage to get a ton of kills with only 2-5 deaths.

There also great to lert you if someone is coming up behind you, you just have to pay attention to sound or watch to see if the "someone got dmg from an explosive of yours" icon.

Ive thrown a million Frags and semtex nades and got no weres near as many kills as i get with Clays, as well as my Clays working as alerts.
Tactical Insertions are good, but if anyone is liek me they'll camp your TI and knife your ass when you spawn, I do it alot lol.

LosDaddie

Banned
Mik2121 said:
EDIT - Ah, this is the scoreboard for that game:

vcz9fn.jpg

NOw that's carrying a team right there! :lol

I need to start using claymores more often.

codecow

Mik2121 said:

This.

I almost always have 2-3 claymore kills a match on my primary AR build. You need to place them far back (~10+') from the point where you think the dude will be in order for them to be effective.

On Karachi in the building overlooking the A flag on Domination I have killed the same guy 3 times in a row by varying my claymore placement on the stairs coming into that building before I moved. You need to think 10' back from where the dude will be standing and then you'll get them.

One last thing, is that you should always listen for the click of it going off. The click is a very loud sound when it's yours I guess, anyway I always hear it. If you hear the click and don't see the kill pop up you should always turn around and start blasting.

H2 and H1 are extremely close in terms of multiplayer. Both have terrific maps.

The difference between CoD4 and MW2 is that MW2 doesn't have much there to place it as being superior. Killstreaks are just fun little things that do nothing but promote camping. The maps are so inferior that its embarassing. The only thing that is definitively better in MW2 would be that it has more weapons, and I would argue that the damages in CoD4's weapon set made it a better game in that regard also.

People bitch about MW2 because there is a lot to bitch about but it is still a great game. It's very addicting and everyone is there. That doesn't mean it's better than CoD4 though.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
codecow said:
One last thing, is that you should always listen for the click of it going off. The click is a very loud sound when it's yours I guess, anyway I always hear it. If you hear the click and don't see the kill pop up you should always turn around and start blasting.
I'll never understand the people that "set and forget" their claymores (or sentry guns for that matter).

I zip past the claymore cause they placed it shittily, and they are still staring out some window, oblivious to my presence. Same shit with sentry guns...you get a freaking message saying I blew it up...why aren't you now magically aware that I'm where your sentry gun was?

Also, I got killed in probably the most embarrassing way I can remember yesterday. I was behind the greenhouse in Estate with my SCAR picking off people in the house. I was prone behind the concrete barrier back there just waiting (cause they were coming out like every 10 seconds).

Some dude on their team with ninja pro just runs on top of me and stares at the back of my head with dual rangers for probably...I don't know...10 seconds, before he shoots me in the head :lol

Worst part about it is that I SAW the freaking barrels on my screen the entire time, but assumed it was one of my own teamates (I had a guy "covering" my flank)...but it clearly wasn't.

That was some sad shit right there :lol

Just got my first nuke.:D

The set up:
ACR with ACOG and akimbo desert eagles
Sleight of hand
Stopping Power
Steady Aim

Killstreaks:
Harriers, Chopper Gunner, Nuke

Top Bottom