• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Lince

Banned
palpabl_purpura said:
You should have an effective way to combat kill streaks from the start.

exactly, that's why I'm not doing any further prestige (I'm currently @ level 70 of second prestige), it's just a pain with so many good players out there, at the very least cold blooded should be there from the start.

divisionbyzorro said:
I feel like you don't understand this game.

Let's say we're playing on Quarry. I'm patrolling the network of buildings that overlook Bravo/Alpha, when I see a red dot on my radar indicating that someone is coming down the chute. I see the skull, which means he's still alive. I run to the hallway, go prone, pull out my akimbo G18s, and aim down the hall that overlooks Bravo. Sure enough, about 20 seconds later, there he comes. I'm sure he was raging about campers, but in reality, he was forced to give away his position and got out maneuvered.

This sort of thing happens with me all the time. If I see a blip, or if my teammates call out someone's position, you better believe I'm going to watch that doorway and react before they can stop me.

Now, do some people spend the entire game camping in corners, never moving? Sure they do. And they usually go 5-3. Big deal.

It's one thing to anticipate where the enemy will come from and catch them off guard.

It's another to hide out in the same spot the whole game.

I've experienced way more camping deaths in MW2 than W@W or MW1. The maps are a camper's dream (ALL of them are like Chinatown in MW1, with tons of floors and buildings to hide). When I'm being killed by the same people who are hiding in the same spot where they can see me but to me all I can see is a little fraction of their head in a corner shadow on the third floor of a random building, it's camping.

And it happens. A lot.

jonnybryce said:
It's one thing to anticipate where the enemy will come from and catch them off guard.

It's another to hide out in the same spot the whole game.

I've experienced way more camping deaths in MW2 than W@W or MW1. The maps are a camper's dream (ALL of them are like Chinatown in MW1, with tons of floors and buildings to hide). When I'm being killed by the same people who are hiding in the same spot where they can see me but to me all I can see is a little fraction of their head in a corner shadow on the third floor of a random building, it's camping.

And it happens. A lot.

Maybe It's just me, but I think WAW had more camping than this game

whitehawk

Banned
noire said:
That fucking banana leaf shield is some bullshit! I wondered why I emptied a full clip into a dude on that rooftop in favela only to have him kill me while I was reloading.
Seriously.

"Modern Warfare 2, the only game where bullets can go through thick concrete but not plants."

I don't really think it's really a serious problem. I have only seen ONE person hiding behind a plant, and I killed him anyway. The indestructible banisters in Favela are much more cheap IMO.

codecow

palpabl_purpura said:
Well, I think that alot of the camping is coming from lower ranked players. Remember you are pretty much killstreak fodder in this game until you unlock the stinger (lvl 34 I believe). They give you this crappy At4 which takes three rockets to down an aerial vehicle, but you only spawn with one rocket. So unless you have scavenger with some dead bodies around, the only common sense thing to do is camp. I blame IW for the camping situation. You should have an effective way to combat kill streaks from the start.

Yeah, I will prestige for the 1st time this week. I hide in the weeds when there are enemy rewards flying around. If I die then I will respawn as my AA guy with Cold Blooded and Javelin. I used to use the Stinger and it worked awesome, but the issue was that if you didn't have a good shot or whatever then you had a useless Stinger whereas the Javelin can be fired on ground targets for the lols.

I don't like being killed by KS rewards so I don't expose myself to them.

Disguises

noire said:
That fucking banana leaf shield is some bullshit! I wondered why I emptied a full clip into a dude on that rooftop in favela only to have him kill me while I was reloading.
Haha, yeah. I now understand the proper reason behind one of my rage-quits. I was expecting a double exp weekend or something around xmas time but no :(. Soon maybe?

Arhal_Katarn

divisionbyzorro said:
I feel like you don't understand this game.

Let's say we're playing on Quarry. I'm patrolling the network of buildings that overlook Bravo/Alpha, when I see a red dot on my radar indicating that someone is coming down the chute. I see the skull, which means he's still alive. I run to the hallway, go prone, pull out my akimbo G18s, and aim down the hall that overlooks Bravo. Sure enough, about 20 seconds later, there he comes. I'm sure he was raging about campers, but in reality, he was forced to give away his position and got out maneuvered.

This sort of thing happens with me all the time. If I see a blip, or if my teammates call out someone's position, you better believe I'm going to watch that doorway and react before they can stop me.

Now, do some people spend the entire game camping in corners, never moving? Sure they do. And they usually go 5-3. Big deal.

No i understand how this style of fps works i played cs for years and i am not complaining about the type of play in your example above. I am sick of unskilled twats hiding with 2 shotguns blasting someone who walks past, then they get a fucking care package or a pred.
TDM is easily the worst mode in the game for this type of shit which is why i am only playing objective games atm.
Although campers can be so dumb you can rack up kills from them, i was playing dom on invasion and one guy was in the mansion/villa near c point on the top floor looking out towards b with his sniper rifle. I stabbed the fool on 4 different occasions and stuck a claymore on his tactical insertion.

Olivero

For the love of everything pure and holy in this world, I wish I would get in a game where I was killed by something other than the 'tube. Seriously getting old.

To sum it up: Camping will get you a lot of buzzkills, but not a lot of killstreaks (well, not high-level ones anyway).

Hence the rage. Nothing causes more nerd rage in this game than being buzzkilled.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DMeisterJ said:
Hopefully the fact that I just prestiged (gag) will help me to learn to get better. Bah!

Enjoy leveling to 30, because IW can't give you a goddamn decent anti-air ability from the get-go and your teammates are idiots and won't fucking switch to anti-air to take them down. :|

Minamu

divisionbyzorro said:
To sum it up: Camping will get you a lot of buzzkills, but not a lot of killstreaks (well, not high-level ones anyway).
I'm pretty sure the Chopper Gunners --> Nukes camp pretty hard when they're close to 20+ kills :)

GodofWine

Olivero said:
For the love of everything pure and holy in this world, I wish I would get in a game where I was killed by something other than the 'tube. Seriously getting old.

Yea...and I'd like to be in a non-deathmatch game where people actually play it like its NOT a deathmatch.

Im finding nothing redeeming about this fucking game....but until another FPS that is worth buying (BFBC2? / MAG?)...I'll be running with dual shotties and a noob tube.

Hyunkel6

Is EMP worth unlocking? I witnessed only 2 or 3, and I had the impression that they were too short-lived, especially for 15 killstreaks.

TheSeks

Hyunkel6 said:
Is EMP worth unlocking? I witnessed only 2 or 3, and I had the impression that they were too short-lived, especially for 15 killstreaks.

Not really. They remove UAV and red-dot sight (for all guns except the F2000).

Useless perk, Nuke is better off being your third if you're getting that many kills in a row consistently.

Zozobra

Couple questions:

1) If I don't have a silencer on my weapon and I fire causing me to appear on the enemy's radar, does my marker disappear after a while if I don't shoot again or am I exposed until I get killed?

2) I tried searching for this one but couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for - with the PS3 version, if I'm in a party with a friend and we play Team Deathmatch or something, if we're talking will our voice chat be contained within the party?

Thanks!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Zozobra said:
Couple questions:

1) If I don't have a silencer on my weapon and I fire causing me to appear on the enemy's radar, does my marker disappear after a while if I don't shoot again or am I exposed until I get killed?

2) I tried searching for this one but couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for - with the PS3 version, if I'm in a party with a friend and we play Team Deathmatch or something, if we're talking will our voice chat be contained within the party?

Thanks!
1. The marker will go away for a bit and only stays in the area you fired from.

2. Voice chat will go out to everyone

gibonez

Banned
They should replace the timers on the ac130 and Chopper gunner with actual ammo counts, 3 105mm rounds, 12 40mm rounds, 4 long bursts of the 30mm.

40 rounds for the chopper gunner.

Also painkiller is incredibly powerful, takes 4 sniper rifle shots to kill a person who is on pain killer needs a nerf ASAP. What were they thinking when they made deathstreaks, dumbass move, why would you reward players for doing baldly cmon now, thats counter productive to competition.

Meier

They're there to try and help outmatched players and prevent rage quits. Killing someone with a 'nade after dying is awesome!

TheSeks

Sweet Jesus, the air support in this game is INSANE.

SUPPLY DROP! SUPPLY DROP! SUPPLY DROP!
HARRIER! CHOPPER GUNNER!

All in the same 30 seconds. :|

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
the very same thing could be said about Killstreaks in general.

Why help already good players get even more kills?

i_am_ben said:
the very same thing could be said about Killstreaks in general.

Why help already good players get even more kills?

When you earn a killstreak, it feels good. :D Even if you're a bad player, you'll eventually get one.

X26

Banned
Speaking of killstreak overkill, a few days ago when I started prestige 2 and had the default killstreak setup I got an AC130 and then a chopper gunner in the same match from care packages, couldn't believe my luck

-viper-

Banned
TheSeks said:

HARRIER! CHOPPER GUNNER!

MW2 is a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Once I get platinum for MW2 (only 4 more spec op missions left), I don't really think I'll be playing too much of MW2 to be honest. Most of the maps are shit for starters, the map playlist is crap (same maps played every time I go on TDM) and everyone just wants to work for their k/d ratio or killstreaks despite playing objective games. MW2 is just a twitch shooter. At it's core, the shooting mechanics are crap. The combination of some of the perks, lag and the killstreaks make the game pretty cheap.

X26 said:
Speaking of killstreak overkill, a few days ago when I started prestige 2 and had the default killstreak setup I got an AC130 and then a chopper gunner in the same match from care packages, couldn't believe my luck
Speaking of crazy luck with care packages, I got a Chopper Gunner and an EMP in the same Emergency Air Drop. So ridiculous.

-viper-

Banned
backflip10019 said:
Speaking of crazy luck with care packages, I got a Chopper Gunner and an EMP in the same Emergency Air Drop. So ridiculous.
On most occassions, I never get anything good from a care package. I got an AC130 and chopper gunner once, EMP when I died, the pavelow a couple of times, but usually it's either UAV, ammo or predator missile.

TheSeks

-viper- said:
MW2 is a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Once I get platinum for MW2 (only 4 more spec op missions left), I don't really think I'll be playing too much of MW2 to be honest. Most of the maps are shit for starters, the map playlist is crap (same maps played every time I go on TDM) and everyone just wants to work for their k/d ratio or killstreaks despite playing objective games. MW2 is just a twitch shooter. At it's core, the shooting mechanics are crap.

It's funny how MW2 is basically the Halo 2 of CoD. 4 did everything right. Pushed the right buttons with the main stream. Main Stream want sequel. IW/Bungie goes to drawing board. Adds in Akimbo/Dual Wielding. Doesn't balance for them (see: Akimobo 1887/Needler). Bugs out the ass for CoD6, Superjumps (and maybe some other bugs I'm forgetting, besides BXR) for Halo 2... Many people consider both a failure in single/multiplayer.

But the one thing Halo 2 has over CoD6:MW2 is that it has non-shitastical maps. Holy fuck, how could IW fuck this up? Skidrow is about the only map worth a damn. All the others pretty much suck. (But I do tolerate Highrise and Underpass, Favela can fuck itself given anyone with high advantage can rape most people before they can get up there to rape them).

Anybody want to partner up for Spec Ops (PS3)? I've been able to get through Alpha through Charlie on my own (except for the 2p required ones) and was wondering if anyone else wants to tackle Delta and Echo together.

I can help you on other missions if you need too. PSN - djblackice.

Thanks for reading :)

Griffith

Banned
TheSeks said:

HARRIER! CHOPPER GUNNER!

It really is. Yesterday in a game of Headquarters, my team had 2 Harriers, a Pave Low and an AC 130 all up at the same time on Scrapyard.

yankeeforever2 said:
Got the five kill challenge with the predator missile. Spawn point FTW

Funny, I just got that yesterday. It was amazing.

On a different note, I decided to finally try a noob tube build yesterday after all this time and holy shit is it fun turning MW2 into a point and click adventure game. I'm just a so-so player with a "normal" build, but using a noob tube has upped my KD to around 4:1 I'd estimate over my last 20 games or so. It's just a hell of a lot more fun.

lunlunqq

Since I have got quite a few Chopper Gunners, I decided to try Nuke. And... I officially entered the Nuke Club this afternoon. I got one playing TDM and another one playing domination.

In the TMD game I got the Nuke with my first spawn. Then I died and played a little bit more. When someone on the other team called a Chopper Gunner, I let me Nuke go. Very satisfying. :)

The second time I also got the Nuke pretty early in the game without any death. My teammates, seeing that I hadn't died even once, was counting my kills on their mic's. It's "he's going to get the nuke." "YEAH! He got it!" I tried to play a little longer, but my teammates jumped all around me and asked me to set off the nuke; so I did. I felt great!!!:D :D :D

Zabka

I'd pay money to turn off the auto aim in this game. Nothing's worse than trying to pull the sight over a low wall and feeling it fighting you.

So despite all the problems GAF is reporting and it's flaws are blatantly obvious....why the hell did this game score so high in the media? I mean some reviewers actually PRAISED it's MP for being balanced. WTF!

TheSeks

Zabka said:
I'd pay money to turn off the auto aim in this game. Nothing's worse than trying to pull the sight over a low wall and feeling it fighting you.

Yeah, it was a little insane in 4 as well. But for the most part 4's magnetic at least helped instead of hindered. I mean it's nice that it's telling me someone is behind that wall, but goddamn... :lol

On a different note, I decided to finally try a noob tube build yesterday after all this time and holy shit is it fun turning MW2 into a point and click adventure game. I'm just a so-so player with a "normal" build, but using a noob tube has upped my KD to around 4:1 I'd estimate over my last 20 games or so. It's just a hell of a lot more fun.

"Noob tube" is hilarious at times to smack people. It's too bad I don't have the "direct impact" award/challenge unlocked yet. :( Problem with them is that it takes a bit to reload per shot, so you're a duck if you suddenly meet two people coming after you since you hit their teammate. :lol

I'm personally still a fan of the 1887's, nerf or not I go about 30-40 kills in a round with the akimbos and the right map/places. Compared to my normal 8-18 kills in a round with most other guns.

But the FN P90 is still my baby and I use it by default for anything. Just a matter of unlocking the 1887's to compliment it now. :lol

It really is. Yesterday in a game of Headquarters, my team had 2 Harriers, a Pave Low and an AC 130 all up at the same time on Scrapyard.

The funny thing is, that incident was all the OTHER team. It seems like all eight of them waited before calling in streaks. It was mindblowing seeing it on the radar. I'm all "WHAT THE HELL!?" :lol

I prefer 4's method of killstreaks. If a helicopter/airstrike is in, even an enemies you can't call in yours until that streak is done/gone. I don't think this would work with the anti-air/stingers too much in 6, but it would be less spam.

Shit, I'd take grenade spam over this shit anyday. At least with grenade spam you can sort-of blast shield through it (make it a mandatory item). I did that on HQ with the 1887's in the point with two open entrances on the one map I'm forgetting the name of right now. (Industrial Middle Eastern-style map, the one with the two stories and a court house along with a couple of humvees). Was pretty awesome.

TacticalFox88 said:
So despite all the problems GAF is reporting and it's flaws are blatantly obvious....why the hell did this game score so high in the media? I mean some reviewers actually PRAISED it's MP for being balanced. WTF!

It is balanced, and that is impressive considering everything going on in this game.

Sure, there were a few little hiccups. But people on here talk as if there are game breaking issues or something. Just like MW1, there is a counter to everything in MW2.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
TheSeks said:
It's funny how MW2 is basically the Halo 2 of CoD. 4 did everything right. Pushed the right buttons with the main stream. Main Stream want sequel. IW/Bungie goes to drawing board. Adds in Akimbo/Dual Wielding. Doesn't balance for them (see: Akimobo 1887/Needler). Bugs out the ass for CoD6, Superjumps (and maybe some other bugs I'm forgetting, besides BXR) for Halo 2... Many people consider both a failure in single/multiplayer.
Because Halo 1 was soooo balanced....

I think H2 is way better than H:CE and I also think MW2 is better than CoD4.

The only maps in MW2 I really hate are Estate and Derail. The rest are fine.

TheSeks

TacticalFox88 said:

It is balanced. Even pre-patched 1887's were balanced. It's just the good players/killstreak eccentric gameplay that makes most of the bullshit that GAF/I are bitching about. :lol

NameGenerated said:
>>Halo 1 balance<<

Halo 1 was balanced, with the exception of the pistol. I still have no clue why the hell Bungie put a scope like that on a sidearm. It makes no sense at all.

I think H2 is way better than H:CE and I also think MW2 is better than CoD4.

Then we have to agree to disagree. As I prefer 4 BY FAR in comparison to 6. I will give you that I enjoy Halo 2 way more than 1. But that's mostly because the maps (with the exception of over-played Lockout/Blood Gulch) made that game. MW2 doesn't have any enjoyable maps at all. At least MW1 had a few (but a few of those were DLC, Chinatown [campers and all], that creek/gulch sniper map, Bloc).

Disguises said:
I was expecting a double exp weekend or something around xmas time but no :(. Soon maybe?

I doubt it. If it was going to happen, you'd think it would have happened already. Although perhaps for the New Year? There will definitely be one when the map pack comes out.

Top Bottom