• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Pkm said:
Its gets under my skin when he says it. Do people actually think PS3
players are less skilled? Ive played both version and didnt see it.
Personally I think it has something to do with the controller. The PS3 controller somewhat inhibits your aim, which essentially makes players less skilled. At least that's what I feel anyway.

backflip10019 said:
Personally I think it has something to do with the controller. The PS3 controller somewhat inhibits your aim, which essentially makes players less skilled. At least that's what I feel anyway.
How so? Aim affected by the controler?

Guys, don't let me prestige. Please! My buddy who plays this game with me just prestiged, so now I feel behind, but I really don't want to go through all of this again...

On the plus side, even though I'm Lvl 70, I just started playing with the FAMAS. Holy crap - that thing is amazing! It's like a laser gun! I'm sniping people from across the map using only a Red Dot!

And I've given up on the nuke, so I'm trying to finish up the other emblems. I'm currently working on the attack helicopter...I forgot how garbage that thing is. It needs a flare or something to be even partially useful. Maybe Danger Close Pro would help, but even then I'm not sure.

Question for the experts:
If I have a class with Hardline and earn, say, the garbage attack helicopter, if I use OMA to switch to a class with Danger Close Pro, do I still get to use the attack helicopter? And will it get the benefit of Danger Close Pro? And what exactly does Danger Close Pro do?

Sielys

I'm at a loss here, there's just so many good choices for a snipers secondary weapons, but I've narrowed down to

A: A shotgun, the spas-12 works nicely in this instance, as the pump action is not a liability when sniping, as chances are you run into one enemy rarely at close range, not a hoard.

B: Pistol w/ tactical knife. I like the M9 or the magnum personally. I usually use commando on my sniping classes, so the tac knife compliments it nicely.

I don't really like machine pistols for whatever reason, and I don't use any launchers because I don't like to deal with air support when sniping, I leave those to my CQC classes(SMGS/AR mostly).

Machine pistols might be a better choice than regular pistols if only for their superior medium range conditions, but even then the magnum and M9 are fairly steady even with rapid firing. In addition to that, I've lately become very proficient and meiumd-short range sniping, even somewhat effective at CQC as I improve my quick-scoping(No good at no scoping though!), which cuts down the need for offensive capabilities at that iffy range where automatic weapons start to be better than snipers.

Also quick question, where do you all rank the m1014 in shotguns? It's a toss up between this and the spas right now. I prefer the m1014 to the striker because even though it has a smaller magazine, interestingly, if you manage to pull the trigger quickly enough, you can actually shoot 2 shells simultaneously, something not achievable with the striker. This same feature also puts it over the akimbo rangers for me, since their only redeeming aspect it the ability to fire their entire magazine quickly with little kick, but their range is lacking compared to the other two. Dual 1887's are just unlocked to late too be a viable option, I plan on prestiging again at 70. As to the spas-12, while being pump action, it seems to have the best range.

Whew, long post.

So which do you guys prefer? (both sniping secondaries and shotties I mean)

(PS: Bonus question: Sorry if a little offtopic, but I'm using my friends macbook pro laptop right now, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to right-click with this thing! I need to run spellcheck on my post, :lol)

Sielys

I don't see how you all can use the machine pistols! They just feel so...I dunno, "not solid" as the regular pistols with tac knife or shotgun. I can't argue with their results, but they just don't "feel" right.
Ugh, I'm being really ambigous aren't I?

Mileena

Banned
All I really play is hardcore search and the Raffica in hardcore is like a Famas with less range. The PP2000 is really damn good in both hardcore and regular though.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Sielys said:
(PS: Bonus question: Sorry if a little offtopic, but I'm using my friends macbook pro laptop right now, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to right-click with this thing! I need to run spellcheck on my post, :lol)

Ctrl+click or tap the pad with two fingers.

Pkm said:
How so? Aim affected by the controler?
Well, I've talked about this with quite a few people and they all agreed with me: the PS3 controller just feels more difficult to use for FPS games. Personally, I have a way harder time aiming with it due to the convex nature of the sticks. Maybe this has a larger effect on the overall skill level of those playing MW2 on PS3. Maybe not, that's my guess.

I just got a turtle beach headset and holy shit what a difference! Hearing footsteps loud and clear and knowing which direction gunfire if coming from gives you a huge advantage. It almost feels like cheating.

NYR

Stupid Question alert!

Do you run quicker with ALL secondary out rather then your primary?

For example, I am rolling AK-74 and Akimo 1887s. I don't notice any speed differences...I used to run around like a mofo knifing people when I rolled with a Magnum, not so much anymore...

I assume a smaller gun like an M9 would lead to a speed boost?

johnFkennedy said:
I just got a turtle beach headset and holy shit what a difference! Hearing footsteps loud and clear and knowing which direction gunfire if coming from gives you a huge advantage. It almost feels like cheating.
Hmmm...I saw this on sale @ Best Buy in Caanda for 39 bucks. It's the Turtle Beach Earforce X1 Headphones...same one?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Meh, I'm going with the USP or M9 as a secondary I think. It's really quick switching over to it and that's what I want.

johnFkennedy said:
That's why I use Ninja Pro. Where is your God now?

Sielys

NYR said:
Stupid Question alert!

Do you run quicker with ALL secondary out rather then your primary?

For example, I am rolling AK-74 and Akimo 1887s. I don't notice any speed differences...I used to run around like a mofo knifing people when I rolled with a Magnum, not so much anymore...

I assume a smaller gun like an M9 would lead to a speed boost?

I think launchers would probably make you slower...And I know for a fact that the riot shield slows you down wether you have your secondary out or not, so I'm assuming that whichever weapon confers the largest speed penalty, whatever it may be, that penalty is imposed all times until the weapon is dropped, or a heavier weapon is picked up. not 100% sure on this though.

Biff

divisionbyzorro said:
If I have a class with Hardline and earn, say, the garbage attack helicopter, if I use OMA to switch to a class with Danger Close Pro, do I still get to use the attack helicopter? And will it get the benefit of Danger Close Pro?
Yes to everything.

Here's a nice related trick: Say you're going for a Harrier killstreak. If you use 2 OMA classes, you can switch over to an OMA/Hardline class once you unlock a predator missile. Get one kill with a predator to unlock the harrier, then switch back to an OMA/Stopping Power class with your harrier in hand.

Narag

Smoke grenade + thermal scope is so awesome on people that don't use cold blooded. Turned a corner and saw a sniper in the window. Dropped my grenade where I was, stepped into the "open", and pegged him as the only thing visible on the scope was his little head peeking out the window. :lol

Sielys

ChefRamsay said:
Yes to everything.

Here's a nice related trick: Say you're going for a Harrier killstreak. If you use 2 OMA classes, you can switch over to an OMA/Hardline class once you unlock a predator missile. Get one kill with a predator to unlock the harrier, then switch back to an OMA/Stopping Power class with your harrier in hand.

Has anyone confirmed this and gotten it to work? I've never been able to replicate it, I'll get 6 kills, OMA into a hardline class, and still have to kill one more person to get my harriers. It never instantly appears.

Lince

Banned
johnFkennedy said:

pretty much, the rare occasions I've played without my 5.1 headphones on I felt completely lost, in this game anticipation means a lot.

Lince

Banned
Sielys said:
Has anyone confirmed this and gotten it to work? I've never been able to replicate it, I'll get 6 kills, OMA into a hardline class, and still have to kill one more person to get my harriers. It never instantly appears.

it works if you get 5 kills then OMA into hardline and get another kill.

Sielys

Lince said:
it works if you get 5 kills then OMA into hardline and get another kill.

Ohhhh. Wow, I feel dumb. It was my understanding that you get 6 kills, switch with OMA to a hardline class, and you would instantly receive whatever killstreak.

Sielys

SuperAwesome said:
10th nuke woo. all resulting in being called a fag and an aimbotter repeatedly. (pc)

Duh, everyone knows it's impossible to get a nuke w/o camping/cheating/exploiting :lol

Congrats though, I saw my 10th nuke as a milestone.

Yeah, I'm going to stop using it now.

Also, has anyone had issues on the PC where fraps could report a perfect fps, but every 1-2 seconds it seemed to lag incredibly or stutter? I don't know how to describe it. Restarting my PC fixed it the one timed it happened, though.

I'm worried I may be vac banned because I went on a knife spree and when this was happening, and it might have reported me as cheating :(. I didn't look at anyone's kill cam to see if it really looked like some funky shit was happening.

NYR said:
Hmmm...I saw this on sale @ Best Buy in Caanda for 39 bucks. It's the Turtle Beach Earforce X1 Headphones...same one?

Yeah same ones, but unless you're playing on a monitor or very close to the tv I would recommend the X3 headset which is wireless. The X1s come with cables that have to be connected to your audio output cables via a splitter and it doesn't look to hot when you've got a mounted TV like myself.

Lince said:
pretty much, the rare occasions I've played without my 5.1 headphones on I felt completely lost, in this game anticipation means a lot.

I've tried some quality headphones with my surround system but the surround easily beats out the "5.1" headphones any day. You guys just don't have 5.1 systems or what?

johnFkennedy said:
Yeah same ones, but unless you're playing on a monitor or very close to the tv I would recommend the X3 headset which is wireless. The X1s come with cables that have to be connected to your audio output cables via a splitter and it doesn't look to hot when you've got a mounted TV like myself.
yeah mine looks horrible with the cables going out, but got them as a secret Santa gift(well a 40 dollar gift card) and there awesome.

Hyunkel6 said:
All of your air support gain extra damage.

This I know. But to what extent? Is it the equivalent of giving them Stopping Power/Danger Close? Or what?

EDIT: And I just said "screw it" and prestiged, despite being adamant that I would never do such a thing. *sigh* There should be enough time left in the Christmas/New Years break to get back up to 30 pretty quickly, and after that it should be smooth sailing. It's time for me to start playing to win games again, rather than chasing killstreaks. And this is going to help me do that.

Terrordactyl said:
I've tried some quality headphones with my surround system but the surround easily beats out the "5.1" headphones any day. You guys just don't have 5.1 systems or what?

I've got a surround system hooked up in the basement with my ps3 and I've played shooters on that system. It's not the same, the more subtle sounds like footsteps are just well, more subtle.

sturmdogg

DaFish said:
28 - 1 and the game crashes on me with 25 seconds to go...

FUUUUUUUUUUU.gif

I feel your pain buddy....I was 12 - 0 on Estate then either the game decided to crash on me or the host decided to bail out and ruins the game for the rest of us :'(

divisionbyzorro said:
This I know. But to what extent? Is it the equivalent of giving them Stopping Power/Danger Close? Or what?
It increases the damage of explosive killstreaks (like the Predator, airstrikes etc.) by x1.4.

24-0, ready for my last kill to get my first nuke, tons of guys closing in on my position, I throw a flash bang out, to stun them, as I get ready to open fire, a grenade launcher comes hurling at me and lands a good distance away and kills me. My day wasn't going great and I was so happy I only needed one more kill, then I get killed by one of the cheapest pieces of garbage this game offers. Once again IW has failed at balancing out the grenade launcher (or the whole game for that matter), almost every game I play, there is someone going around with a grenade launcher and scavenger with danger close. I would say it's worst than the CoD4 grenade launcher. They've gotten out of hand, and it's frustrating getting killed by someone who doesn't even have to see you to kill you.

In conclusion, IW, once again you fail at balancing out your game.

backflip10019 said:
Well, I've talked about this with quite a few people and they all agreed with me: the PS3 controller just feels more difficult to use for FPS games. Personally, I have a way harder time aiming with it due to the convex nature of the sticks. Maybe this has a larger effect on the overall skill level of those playing MW2 on PS3. Maybe not, that's my guess.

Ive heard people say its a bit harder to use but Im in the opposite camp I guess.
For some reason my thumb slips off the 360 sticks cause they seem so much smaller, and also the concaved shape makes my thumb more sore. The bigger Ps3 thumb area as well as rubber/grip texture also gives me more comfort. I also for some reason have an issue using the LB/RB, they seem to flush with the controller. I actually own the PS3 verison and 360 version and this is why I cant play the 360 one, I feel less accurate and my thumbs hurt. In my small amount of time on both versions (360 lvl 46, PS3 lvl 70 prestige 2)
I didnt notice some godly players that supposedly play on 360.

I told my buddy I posted his comment on here( Im at work, he works on another floor) and tried to get more into what he meant by...
"The 360 community is were the real CoD players game, were it takes more skill to get good scores, high K/D ration etc..."

His belief was since the 360 online community was bigger as well as it being more
FPS-centric was his reasoning. He also has it in his mind that the PS3 community is not a majority of North Americans were he says the best FPS players play supposedly.
So from his point of view the PS3 community is basically a "B" league thats 1/4 the size of Live and is populated by MMO/RPG playing Asians/Euro.
This is his and his 360 buddies in his office opinion, but then again they only buy 2 games a year...FPS and Madden...but it still gets to me cause they say I play as they would say "Special Olympics of Online"

neoism

I tell you I loooooovvve the fucking Scar, OMG!:lol Also Demolition is the coolest mode ever. I play soo much better sense I started playing it! Just had a 42-12 game!:D

RavenFox

Banned
backflip10019 said:
lol @ this bullshit.

neoism

Also it's funny how I hated most of the maps when I first started!
Afghan 7/10
Derail 7/10
Estate 9/10
Favela 8/10
Highrise 8/10
Invasion fucking 11/10
Quarry 11/10
Rundown 6/10
Rust Still haven't played on it!:lol
Scrapyard 8/10
Skidrow 10/10
Sub Base Hated it at first, but Demolition has made me love it 9/10
Terminal 9/10
Underpass 5/10
Wasteland 11/10

adelante

johnFkennedy said:
Fuck yeah I just got myself an X41 headset...I love it when I'm playing in Derail and I'm staying in one spot to take out people from a distance, I'm able to tell if anyone's approaching from BEHIND if I hear their footsteps in the snow....freakin awesome. The 360degree surround sound is topnotch in this game...

NYR

So yeah, swapped out akimbo 1887s for a magnum. Went 18-1.

I guess they were weighing me down. And I am very confident knifing while using akimbos has been nerfed. I knifed way better without them.

Top Bottom