• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Biff

Pkm said:
I'd like to thank the PS3 community for making me the last player left who...
1. Uses UAV
2. Has a Stinger secondary on all but 2 classes.
1. Yup, you're on your own.
2. Nope, same here.

Estate is all about knowing how to play it. Balancing your team with Snipers/Upclose/ and Support AR. Playing off the gametype. In Domination let them have the house its so much easier holding B and C and taking them out as they try and take B. Silencer and Cold Blooded is huge on Estate. Have someone with Thermal Snipe watching the House and pick off the snipers that are trying to do the same. In Team Deathmatch hold the house with Scavenger or OMA and claymores and nades and tubes.

Theres a shitload of maps like Estate. In Halo 3 it was High Ground or H2's Ivory Tower. Never played MW1 too much but I'm sure theres a map similar to it.

Just don't rush the house over and over alone dieing. Control the air support and destroy anything instantly since theres lots of outside spawns and your team shouldn't get destroyed in the least.

venom2124

nelkon and parker said:
The roof may be, but the one inside, and the pipe on afghan aren't. Just youtube the videos for those. Not sure why thats so lol worthy.
The pipes above the cave are very easy to reach, just jump from the plane. From there, there are about 2 or 3 other ledges you can shoot from. Jumping on the ladder in one of the buildings in Highrise will get you on the little ledge. There's also a really cheap spot in the middle building of one of the urban maps ( I believe Invasion) where you can jump on a counter and climb up to a ledge that's covered in shadow.

IW has stated in a few interviews that they intentionally made these tough to reach spots for players that explore the maps. No glitch involved and completely intentional.

xxjuicesxx said:
Estate is all about knowing how to play it. Balancing your team with Snipers/Upclose/ and Support AR. Playing off the gametype. In Domination let them have the house its so much easier holding B and C and taking them out as they try and take B. Silencer and Cold Blooded is huge on Estate. Have someone with Thermal Snipe watching the House and pick off the snipers that are trying to do the same. In Team Deathmatch hold the house with Scavenger or OMA and claymores and nades and tubes.

Theres a shitload of maps like Estate. In Halo 3 it was High Ground or H2's Ivory Tower. Never played MW1 too much but I'm sure theres a map similar to it.

Just don't rush the house over and over alone dieing. Control the air support and destroy anything instantly since theres lots of outside spawns and your team shouldn't get destroyed in the least.

Agreed, especially with regards to Domination. If the full team works to hold B and C, and lets the other team take A, it gets pretty one-sided pretty quickly. Inevitably there will be one or two snipers at A because it's so much fun to snipe from there, even though playing defense when down a flag is stupid. This means you'll have to deal with less offense, and holding B and C should be stupidly easy.

I actually like Estate; I think it's a pretty fun map.

Narag

divisionbyzorro said:
Agreed, especially with regards to Domination. If the full team works to hold B and C, and lets the other team take A, it gets pretty one-sided pretty quickly. Inevitably there will be one or two snipers at A because it's so much fun to snipe from there, even though playing defense when down a flag is stupid. This means you'll have to deal with less offense, and holding B and C should be stupidly easy.

I actually like Estate; I think it's a pretty fun map.

I've held B on my own with C4 and Scavenger Pro by just hiding above the point. So so fun. :lol

I'll agree though, Estate isn't a bad map but requires more situational play akin to Wasteland.

Narag said:
I've held B on my own with C4 and Scavenger Pro by just hiding above the point. So so fun. :lol

I'm constantly amazed at how many people don't seem to realize that there is an attic in the Bravo house. And that you can actually capture the point while sitting in that attic!

Animator said:
I was going to agree but then I looked at how many I put online in mw2.

I've put in quite a bit of time too but as an overall package, which includes the SP, too me, it doesn't deserve GOTY. There is really no campaign level I want to go back and play because I thought it was awesome. None of the levels really stand out at all, and the story, even when you understand it, still utterly sucks.

But yeah, despite the hours of MP I've played, I feel a game must have all the credentials it set out to achieve to be GOTY.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
CrazedArabMan said:
I've put in quite a bit of time too but as an overall package, which includes the SP, too me, it doesn't deserve GOTY. There is really no campaign level I want to go back and play because I thought it was awesome. None of the levels really stand out at all, and the story, even when you understand it, still utterly sucks.

But yeah, despite the hours of MP I've played, I feel a game must have all the credentials it set out to achieve to be GOTY.

Do you mind naming a game released this year that's a better overall package than MW2?

Just interested to know what games you think MW2 is "nowhere near" to.

Cerrius said:
Do you mind naming a game released this year that's a better overall package than MW2?

Just interested to know what games you think MW2 is "nowhere near" to.

When you mention overall package, you mean MP and SP. There are not many games out this year that are a complete package, I guess you can consider ODST or Killzone 2, Borderlands etc. However I feel there are many other games that were much more polished and more enjoyable than MW2. I think AC2 was a much more enjoyable game, low re-playability, however the experience, story, and just overall fun level of the game was great. I may not put the time into as much as I have MW2, but it was just a much better experience overall.

This is not dissing on MW2 at all I have actually really enjoyed the game, just saying I don't believe it is a game of the year contender, but of course to each his own opinion, which is what GOTY's mostly are.

Manp

Pkm said:
1. Uses UAV

UAV + Anti-UAV Stingers > All KS's and other secondary weps

i always use UAVs
i have a stinger on all of my classes but one, which i never use

in the last 50 or so games i played i was the only one taking down choppers and harriers tho :lol

:)

aku:jiki

venom2124 said:
IW has stated in a few interviews that they intentionally made these tough to reach spots for players that explore the maps. No glitch involved and completely intentional.
The crane in Highrise (which leads to the 2nd floor of the red house, not the top floor of the white house) is also ridiculously easy to get up on and has to be intentional. Just look west from the little house with the elevators in it and you'll see a perfectly placed bridge that leads to the crane.

I like the idea of rewarding exploration, but I'm not sure this is the way to go about it... I went the cheap route in a match yesterday and climbed the crane and then up to the 2nd floor of the red house, which was also the enemy spawn central. I think I streaked like 15 from just bitching out and hiding on the 2nd floor, where it's very hard for them to see me but I can see everything that's going on. I don't know, it's map design that is intentional and that I am allowed to use, but makes me feel like a bitch. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Pkm said:
1. Uses UAV

1. No, you aren't alone. I'm not using killstreaks right now, trying to get Price Mario emblem (god, taking me forever), but I use UAV/Package/Harrier because I'll never get past 7 killstreak because of my hearing. *sigh*
2. No, you aren't alone. I do this with ALL my classes as PS3 players are fucking idiots and won't shoot down the goddamn air-support that gets fucking insane in this shit. :/

MW2 is fun to an extent, but not GoTY.

KZ2 alone offers a better SP/MP yet isnt mutiplat nor MP casual friendly
as much.

MW2 SP is just scenarios linked with a poor story.

The only reason MW2 occupies so much of my gaming time is cause its
new and there isnt any thing else to play atm as new.

But...
MAG comes out, bye bye MW2!

Wow I just totally destroyed on rundown, one of my best games in TDM. 40-2 I got 27 kills with my chopper gunner. They just had no intentions of shooting that gunner down or had no means to. And they all prestiged so its not like I was facing off against a bunch of new players.

DMeisterJ

Banned
TheSeks said:
1. No, you aren't alone. I'm not using killstreaks right now, trying to get Price Mario emblem (god, taking me forever), but I use UAV/Package/Harrier because I'll never get past 7 killstreak because of my hearing. *sigh*
2. No, you aren't alone. I do this with ALL my classes as PS3 players are fucking idiots and won't shoot down the goddamn air-support that gets fucking insane in this shit. :/
Godspeed on getting that 8-bit Price. I felt your pain not too long ago.

GodSpeed.

neoism

jedimike said:
Nice scores freckles (love the avatar)... It seems like rundown and underpass both get the most votes to skip now. I personally love rundown. It used to be that people hated wasteland, but more and more people are starting to call wasteland their favorite map.
:D
Also sorry Backflip and Juices, I'm a little to drunk to play any good !:lol thanks fo playin wit me!

-viper-

Banned
MW2 is GOTY? GT am fail.

I've completed the campaign almost 3 times and completed the co-op missions and I honestly have to say the game is vastly overrated. Campaign is average at best and the MP simply is a trainwreck. The only redeeming factor of this game is the co-op imo. Now I've got my platinum trophy I don't think I'll ever play this game again.

One major issue I have with the MP is that the controls and gun play feels so much better in the SP and co-op than MP.

I'm currently playing Uncharted 2 and it shits all over MW2. The latter's SP experience feels completely lifeless in comparison. Even the multiplayer is superior. Sure there is lag and shitty grenades in U2, but it plays far better. No bullshit killstreaks, no gamechanging perks, no retarded camping and no atrocious maps (which is probably the most annoying thing about MW2). And most importantly, Uncharted 2 isn't a twitch shooter, unlike MW2.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
-viper- said:
And most importantly, Uncharted 2 isn't a twitch shooter, unlike MW2.

So, basically: You don't like Unreal Tournament/Quake 3 games. Cool story, bro.

But yeah, Uncharted 2 is a lot more polished than MW2. Better, though? Debateable, as the multiplayer has gone to shit from 1.0 to 1.5 (IMO) patches + the co-op mode in Uncharted 2 is only three goddamn maps, which get old fast.

vocab

-viper- said:
Not exactly - wouldn't mind playing them. To put it short: the MP in MW2 is cheap as hell.

It's not cheap, it's completely unbalanced with the worst spawn system in place. You are either getting gayed in the back, dying by air strikes, dying by sentry, or dying by other random shit. You have very little chance to do anything about that. It's not a game that where pure skill gets rewarded, it's knowing how to play this game to your advantage. IW didn't design this game with balance in mind, and the lack of competitive focus in the map designs is no where to be found.

Also, MW2 on consoles is barely a "twitch" shooter. Aim assist does most of your work, so relying on reaction times is pointless.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
-viper- said:
MW2 is GOTY? GT am fail.

I've completed the campaign almost 3 times and completed the co-op missions and I honestly have to say the game is vastly overrated. Campaign is average at best and the MP simply is a trainwreck. The only redeeming factor of this game is the co-op imo. Now I've got my platinum trophy I don't think I'll ever play this game again.

One major issue I have with the MP is that the controls and gun play feels so much better in the SP and co-op than MP.

I'm currently playing Uncharted 2 and it shits all over MW2. The latter's SP experience feels completely lifeless in comparison. Even the multiplayer is superior. Sure there is lag and shitty grenades in U2, but it plays far better. No bullshit killstreaks, no gamechanging perks, no retarded camping and no atrocious maps (which is probably the most annoying thing about MW2). And most importantly, Uncharted 2 isn't a twitch shooter, unlike MW2.

...and yet this "trainwreck" of a game is still the most played piece of software on both the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Go figure.

Stupid Infinity Ward, why couldn't you make your multiplayer as good as Uncharted 2? Dummies.

vocab said:
It's not cheap, it's completely unbalanced with the worst spawn system in place. You are either getting gayed in the back, or killing someone else in the back.

wat.

neoism said:
:D
Also sorry Backflip and Juices, I'm a little to drunk to play any good !:lol thanks fo playin wit me!

I don't know if I went retarded or if I'm just getting matched up against fucking gods but the last three nights I've been doing awful.

Narag

I don't feel its unbalanced so much as it relies on a degree of team participation and countering various stuff can be unfun when you have to give up preferred perks/loadouts.
vocab said:
Getting gayed in the back.
Ugh.

-viper-

Banned
vocab said:
It's not cheap, it's completely unbalanced with the worst spawn system in place. You are either getting gayed in the back, dying by air strikes, dying by sentry, or dying by other random shit. You have very little chance to do anything about that. It's not a game that where pure skill gets rewarded, it's knowing how to play this game to your advantage. IW didn't design this game with balance in mind, and the lack of competitive focus in the map design of the maps is no where to be found..
Nail hit on head. 100% agreed.

Any idiot can sit in a corner and wait for anyone to come past and shoot them down.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Manp said:
cause i suck at them!!!

:lol

edit: whatever that second one is called :p

How to be good at Terminal:
- create a Noob Tube/OMA/Danger Close class (preferably ACR with launcher)
- go to center spot that overlooks every critical juncture of the map (flag C, flag B, and the doorway to flag A).
- unleash hell upon the map like you're Arnold in the Terminator 2 Skynet office scene.

How to be good at Invasion:
- do NOT go running around in the buildings near flag B. You will get knifed or Akimbo'd.
- instead, stick to the following circuit:
a. ally way that's south of flag C.
b. building with lookout down the middle road facing west.
c. middle building that overlooks nest above flag A and overlooks intersection in front of flag B.
d. nest above flag B.
- shoot, move to location, shoot, move to location.

Now you'll have fun :D

Pkm said:
1. Uses UAV

I have found that UAV - counter UAV - something (sentry gun, for example) works well for me (and rest of my team).

I have reset a class to stinger, allthough I had no use for it with coldblooded... until I got shot a few times by a chopper gunner because my teammates spawn right next to me and as a result the gunner kills ME, the one gun he couldn't see. Fuck that.

Finally took down an Ac130 with a stinger though. I felt it was easier than taking out a chopper gunner with a stinger (due to previous mentioned spawnsystem), quite frankly.

vocab said:
Also, MW2 on consoles is barely a "twitch" shooter. Aim assist does most of your work, so relying on reaction times is pointless.

It's funny that I thought the aim assist wasn't active on MP. Tried the doubletap the last few matches and performance went up straightaway. Why the hell is there aimassist in the MP?

TheSeks said:
So, basically: You don't like Unreal Tournament/Quake 3 games. Cool story, bro.

But yeah, Uncharted 2 is a lot more polished than MW2. Better, though? Debateable, as the multiplayer has gone to shit from 1.0 to 1.5 (IMO) patches + the co-op mode in Uncharted 2 is only three goddamn maps, which get old fast.

Oh, don't even go there. Q3/UT is nothing like MW2. No grenades, no killstreaks, and only headshoct sniper kills in one hit (not even rockets do). These ARE the original hardcore FPS. No easy 2 bullet kills, no bullcrap that does the killing for you, no grenade spam. These games are about your aim and only your aim.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I am amazed at how much I'm addicted to this game. I just put in 11 hours straight. The only reason I stopped was because my eyes are going buggy and my back is hurting from sitting that much. I got to level 70, got my Ak47 and now I'm trying to get the groove going with that gun.
Everything about the leveling up system in this game works for me. Everything.

Happy New Year

NYR

Truelize said:
I am amazed at how much I'm addicted to this game. I just put in 11 hours straight. The only reason I stopped was because my eyes are going buggy and my back is hurting from sitting that much. I got to level 70, got my Ak47 and now I'm trying to get the groove going with that gun.
Everything about the leveling up system in this game works for me. Everything.

Happy New Year
AK is a great gun!! I just wish the silencer worked on it well. It adds so much recoil to the gun and I am all about being a ninja.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
NYR said:
AK is a great gun!! I just wish the silencer worked on it well. It adds so much recoil to the gun and I am all about being a ninja.

I've been using the M21 pretty much exclusively since I got it. Got my 1000 kills with it. Got 150 headshots. Not sure if I'm gonna roll with it to get the 250 headshots though. I need another 80 and with the gun maxed I don't see the point.

Do you unlock titles and emblems when you hit certain numbers of overall kills and headshots?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I just played a game with an Infinity Ward game tester. His lobby name is green and says Infinity Ward, as does his in-game name, but when I look at his gamer card it's different. Kinda random.

Top Bottom