• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Ogs said:
Finally got myself a nuke through knifing (and killstreaks) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ABolGcsX5g

And with that, im going back to my trusty ACR.

that's insane, I dunno how that shit can happen without a big combination of crazy luck and dumbass opponents.

good example of people being completely selfish and going for killstreaks, k:d ratios and nothing else. sure it "helped the team" this time but might not work so well at other times. but the main thing is it doesn't help the game.

domination is about capturing and defending flags. the tension of capturing/defending is why the mode is fun and once you have that core mechanic you can branch out with tactics and team work. things like the shootout/power struggle at the middle flag which is usually the chokepoint, risking your life to capture a flag, sneaking behind and capturing the enemy's home flag and so on.

but we rarely find games like that because people just want a killstreak orgasm and just pick modes which might last longer and have enemies pop up in more predictable places.

fuck it, depressing as it is there's no hope of that ever changing. carry on.

codecow

kaizoku said:
but we rarely find games like that because people just want a killstreak orgasm and just pick modes which might last longer and have enemies pop up in more predictable places.

Try playing Domination via ground war. I played with a guy yesterday who had the highest score on Scrapyard and he went like 6-2-40, so that dude was capping a lot of flags.

codecow

Exarchos said:
It's not this?

Emblem-gears.jpg

You get that from the Domino Challenge I believe (killing someone via an explosive chain reaction), I have it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
kaizoku said:
that's insane, I dunno how that shit can happen without a big combination of crazy luck and dumbass opponents.

good example of people being completely selfish and going for killstreaks, k:d ratios and nothing else. sure it "helped the team" this time but might not work so well at other times. but the main thing is it doesn't help the game.

domination is about capturing and defending flags. the tension of capturing/defending is why the mode is fun and once you have that core mechanic you can branch out with tactics and team work. things like the shootout/power struggle at the middle flag which is usually the chokepoint, risking your life to capture a flag, sneaking behind and capturing the enemy's home flag and so on.

So you are saying that a harrier or a chopper gunner wouldn't help in domination? It works both ways. Those killstreak rewards would help the team as well. To ignore that fact is not telling the entire story. I have seen Domination games totally changed when a harrier comes in to help defend/take a capture point. You mean that guarding a point and getting a killstreak because of it isn't right?

With that said, Ground War has so many people playing that it is usually chaos and no one has a chance to get killstreaks over 5 or so.

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
someone pulled a ninja defuse on me :'(
It was demolition on skidrow, we already bombed the laundry room, and were now fighting over the middle bomd. I rush in there with my stealth class and start planting.
As soon as I'm done planting, I try to run but can't, I tell my friends "WTF IW fix your shitty game I'm glitched and cannot move" and then it says bomb defused so I look down and theres some guy prone. I was boxed in the entire time :/ So embarassing ._.

kaizoku said:

I usually am of the opinion that having a single knife runner wreaking havoc on the enemy is actually a really good thing, regardless of the current situation. As long as he's decent at what he does, he can easily disrupt the rhythm of the opposing side. That's, of course, assuming that the other guys on his team will actively push objectives as well.

todahawk

Foliorum Viridum said:
Played this for the first time in about 2 weeks tonight as a reward for doing a lot of essay writing, got a 24 kill streak, then time ran out.

FUCK. MY. LIFE.

Yep, a few days ago I got a 26 kill streak and couldn't get out of my chopper gunner in time. I've had 4x where I was super close to my nuke, ran out of time on 3 of them.

Az

I love domination matches, but if I get nuked by someone it's my fault. Hate when domination games become running in the circle getting a point then losing another, repeat 20 times. Got a nuke watching A on Estate, and the first time I actually got praise for the opposite team. Doesn't happen often.

greenjerk said:
Yep, a few days ago I got a 26 kill streak and couldn't get out of my chopper gunner in time. I've had 4x where I was super close to my nuke, ran out of time on 3 of them.
It took all of my self control not to throw the controller against the wall, then jump on it several times. :lol

It would have been my first nuke, too, which makes it worse.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
greenjerk said:
Yep, a few days ago I got a 26 kill streak and couldn't get out of my chopper gunner in time.

Wait... why didn't you just parachute out? Hold RB and you'll jump out and float back down to the battlefield.

todahawk

Foliorum Viridum said:
It took all of my self control not to throw the controller against the wall, then jump on it several times. :lol

It would have been my first nuke, too, which makes it worse.

Oh, same here. I haven't got my first yet. I was all like YES, YES, YES, and then SONOFAWTF.

This game is going to give me a heart attack with the adrenaline rushes, my heart was pounding through my chest.

divisionbyzorro said:
Joke post?
and a poor one at that :p
rushes of to google it just to be safe

Recipe for blanketing the other team with death and humiliation:

ground war Domination on terminal

M4 + Noob Toob
Thumper

Scavenger Pro
Danger Close Pro
Commando Pro

Aim to Hold A and C

todahawk

MrCompletely said:
Recipe for blanketing the other team with death and humiliation:

ground war Domination on terminal

M4 + Noob Toob
Thumper

Scavenger Pro
Danger Close Pro
Commando Pro

Aim to Hold A and C

forgot the claymore... :D

I use the ACR for my build and Sitrep (trying to level it as well) to sniff out the C4 & claymores on the plane, by CP's, etc.

I got my nuke emblem finally. I got a bunch of Nukes before I prestiged, and I got 10 this time and then prestiged to level 2. Now I'll probably never Nuke again. I'm sticking to killstreaks that get me kills only/help the team.

DarknessTear said:
I got my nuke emblem finally. I got a bunch of Nukes before I prestiged, and I got 10 this time and then prestiged to level 2. Now I'll probably never Nuke again. I'm sticking to killstreaks that get me kills only/help the team.

Congrats!

My three favorite setups:

UAV->Package->Sentry (especially awesome with Hardline)
Predator->Harrier->Pave Low
Predator->Harrier->EAD

Predator->Harrier->AC130 is also fun too

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
dskillzhtown said:
So you are saying that a harrier or a chopper gunner wouldn't help in domination? It works both ways. Those killstreak rewards would help the team as well. To ignore that fact is not telling the entire story. I have seen Domination games totally changed when a harrier comes in to help defend/take a capture point. You mean that guarding a point and getting a killstreak because of it isn't right?

With that said, Ground War has so many people playing that it is usually chaos and no one has a chance to get killstreaks over 5 or so.

of course killstreaks are good for your team, hell the guy got a nuke and his team WON!

But big deal, its not like the results really mean anything. Does that win mean anything to his team? nope. Just that they have to find a new game now. In an ideal world the killstreaks would be a bonus gained in an attempt to play whatever mode you'd picked.

with that video obviously his only care was to get as big a killstreak as possible. well played on his part but it's still annoying that people play to get killstreaks rather than play the mode they'd selected.

I'll have games where I try to go on a huge killstreak but if I hear our flag is being taken I can't help but rush over and do everything in my power to defend it.

Kujo

Just put on the Nuke killstreak for the first time and got 3 of them. Also stopped some boosters just before they got theirs, lol

Man this game is so much better with green bars.

aku:jiki

kaizoku said:
Not to take away from the awesome video, but you can clearly tell there's a lot of luck involved. The way he survives them coming for him when he launches the Harrier is some insane luck and/or opponents who couldn't aim for shit.

Fun video though, but the music wasn't as good as last time! :/

codecow said:
You get that from the Domino Challenge I believe (killing someone via an explosive chain reaction), I have it.
So that would explain why basically nobody has it. I don't even understand the challenge - does it mean like tossing a grenade in a spot where there was a claymore and the grenade only hurts the guy but the claymore finishes the job? How is that supposed to ever happen? :lol

Mojo said:
Man this game is so much better with green bars.
Am I the only one who's been getting tricked by the ping meter since the patch? It's always showing me full green bars now, even if the match is lagged beyond comprehension...

I stepped away from this game for a few weeks and got back into it last night. Really disappointing. Same problems. People still using akimbos, hardcore TDM has MASSIVE camping and seems like it's only played by snipers now, lag was as bad as ever, and no one went for the flags on domination.

I think I'm done with this game. Too many problems each match keep me from enjoying it. I honestly feel like there isn't one good mode to play in this game. This coming from a diehard CoD 4 fan. Damn shame. (not to mention I hope they'd just delete some of these horrible maps from rotation).

Kujo

aku:jiki said:
Am I the only one who's been getting tricked by the ping meter since the patch? It's always showing me full green bars now, even if the match is lagged beyond comprehension...
I get red/yellow bars 90% of the time, so anything green for me is very welcome. Though I did have one match last night where everyone had green bars but it was incredibly laggy for some reason.

CartridgeBlower said:
I stepped away from this game for a few weeks and got back into it last night. Really disappointing. Same problems. People still using akimbos, hardcore TDM has MASSIVE camping and seems like it's only played by snipers now, lag was as bad as ever, and no one went for the flags on domination.

I think I'm done with this game. Too many problems each match keep me from enjoying it. I honestly feel like there isn't one good mode to play in this game. This coming from a diehard CoD 4 fan. Damn shame. (not to mention I hope they'd just delete some of these horrible maps from rotation).

Hardcore has always had camping issues and the franchise has always had lag issues.

Try Demolition, it's pretty fun. Plus the "crappy maps" (Derail, Estate) are always voted off.

Mojo said:
I get red/yellow bars 90% of the time, so anything green for me is very welcome. Though I did have one match last night where everyone had green bars but it was incredibly laggy for some reason.
I used to have the exact same situation. Are you european too? I think we get tossed into US servers like every other game... :/

Bumblebeetuna said:
Try Demolition, it's pretty fun. Plus the "crappy maps" (Derail, Estate) are always voted off.
I think the crappy maps get voted a lot in Domination too, but even then... I don't mind the "crappy maps" when it's objective-based play. The problem with Derail is that you keep spawning 80 miles from everybody in TDM and it sucks to trek back to the action only to get shot immediately, but in objective modes the spawning system at least works a little better.

DukeSucks

So that would explain why basically nobody has it. I don't even understand the challenge - does it mean like tossing a grenade in a spot where there was a claymore and the grenade only hurts the guy but the claymore finishes the job? How is that supposed to ever happen? :lol

I'm curious too. Yesterday I threw a grenade that killed a guy when it exploded. It must have been near a car, because about 5 seconds after the first kill, I was heading in that direction and the exploded, killing another person. I didn't get the challenge, or maybe it was just lag.

Kujo

I used to have the exact same situation. Are you european too? I think we get tossed into US servers like every other game... :/
Australian, so yeah, no local search = lag

I don't even understand the challenge - does it mean like tossing a grenade in a spot where there was a claymore and the grenade only hurts the guy but the claymore finishes the job?
I actually got this challenge but I have no idea how. Seems a lot of the challenges are just luck.

TheGOHN

DukeSucks said:
I'm curious too. Yesterday I threw a grenade that killed a guy when it exploded. It must have been near a car, because about 5 seconds after the first kill, I was heading in that direction and the exploded, killing another person. I didn't get the challenge, or maybe it was just lag.

Best way I found is to have a buddy toss c4 by a doorway then plant you claymore (pointed at the c4) then when someone starts to come up the door you shoot your claymore. AANNDDD done.

codecow

I have been trying to get a few mastery emblems before I prestige for the first time (10k away from 67 now). I think I was working on the ACR Shotgun challenge (get kills with noob tube) and I noob tubed next to an exploding barrel which blew up and killed the dude on Highrise.

Interestingly, I just got another one I haven't seen a lot. It is a stop sign. You get it from killing someone with a stun grenade (did this inside the plane on Terminal).

GeeDuhb

I swear, nothing has changed since CoD4...the fucking M16 continues to be the most bullshit gun in the game.

Tell me, how the fuck do you get a 1 shot kill (in the stomach) with Danger close on instead of Stopping Power AND a fucking silencer? BULLSHIT. I have no respect for anyone who uses that PoS gun.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
GeeDuhb said:
I swear, nothing has changed since CoD4...the fucking M16 continues to be the most bullshit gun in the game.

Tell me, how the fuck do you get a 1 shot kill (in the stomach) with Danger close on instead of Stopping Power AND a fucking silencer? BULLSHIT. I have no respect for anyone who uses that PoS gun.
It's funny because the M16 isn't even the strongest gun, the FAMAS is better :lol

venom2124

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
someone pulled a ninja defuse on me :'(
It was demolition on skidrow, we already bombed the laundry room, and were now fighting over the middle bomd. I rush in there with my stealth class and start planting.
As soon as I'm done planting, I try to run but can't, I tell my friends "WTF IW fix your shitty game I'm glitched and cannot move" and then it says bomb defused so I look down and theres some guy prone. I was boxed in the entire time :/ So embarassing ._.
This officially killed me. Can't stop laughing.

KaYotiX

Banned
DarknessTear said:

Thats what i did when i got the emblem, i prefer them all over the nuke. Nothing like hitting EMP and watching everything fall out of the sky :D

KaYotiX said:
Nothing like hitting EMP and watching everything fall out of the sky :D
I had no idea about this until today, when someone saved an EMP for my AC and brought me down as soon as I launched! I was like WTF. :lol

That makes the EMP much more useful. Now if they could put it at a sensible amount of kills so we might consider using it more...

Minamu

I think I got it by shooting a claymore that exploded next to a red barrel which just happened to kill the dude that planted the claymore in the first place. It all comes down to luck :(

Or you can team up with a friend in cage match & let him place two claymores in a row & stand in front of them :) Might need Scavenger/OMA for that but it works.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
divisionbyzorro said:
Congrats!

Predator->Harrier->EAD

hmm, that sounds like potential fun. Gotta try that out sometime.

divisionbyzorro said:
Congrats!

Predator->Harrier->EAD

Right now for my rushing build (UMP45 Marathon/Lightweight/Commando (or Ninja if I wanna be a sneaky rusher) for Search and Destroy it's UAV/Care Package/Predator. I like to run around and care package knife people. :lol People hate me for it.

Haha, man, I was just in a FFA match with TWO sets of boosters! I wasn't using SitRep so I could find neither party and realized too late what was going on. :(

One group was going for emergency airdrops or something (they kept spamming stuff and didn't seem to be going for a nuke) and the other for a nuke. The first group were at like 28 kills when the nuke was activated, and they managed to get each other twice in the nuke countdown which totally confused the scoring system... The nuke didn't get the win, because the other boosters managed to reach 30 before the countdown ended. :lol

Sielys

Haha, man, I was just in a FFA match with TWO sets of boosters! I wasn't using SitRep so I could find neither party and realized too late what was going on. :(

One group was going for emergency airdrops or something (they kept spamming stuff and didn't seem to be going for a nuke) and the other for a nuke. The first group were at like 28 kills when the nuke was activated, and they managed to get each other twice in the nuke countdown which totally confused the scoring system... The nuke didn't get the win, because the other boosters managed to reach 30 before the countdown ended. :lol

Hm? I was under the impression that nukes paused the score and timer, thus assuring oblivion and victory, only able to be stopped by an angry host quit.

Also stealth bomber + danger close is the best thing ever :lol
Just called one in on rust FFA, killed every single player (including myself!)

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Sielys said:
Just called one in on rust FFA, killed every single player (including myself!)

I'm using the Bomber lately to complete the challenge. So far I'm mixed. Most of the time I only kill one or two guys. However, one time on Invasion the entire team spawned together and ran down the far ally at the east side of the map (if Flag C is north). I lined up my Bomber and killed the entire team :lol It was like bowling.

Although the bottom line is that the Bomber is a waste of a killstreak IMO.

Sielys said:

Both the Bomber and the Precision Airstrike are worthless in my book. The Stealth Bomber even more so because it's that much harder to earn.

The way I see it, the Stealth Bomber should take a "snapshot" of where everyone is right when you pull up the map to call it in. That way you could actually aim it at where people are. If someone happens to have a UAV up when you call it in, it can seriously be deadly. In all other cases, it seems useless.

Fixing the Airstrike would be simple the way I see it. Have it make 5 runs, more evenly spaced out (say, 3 seconds apart). That way it would be an effective way to hold a spot on the map for a while (although I suppose that would be super powerful for Demolition/Sabotage).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
RSTEIN said:
Although the bottom line is that the Bomber is a waste of a killstreak IMO.

LOL NO.

Not in Objective modes it isn't.

UAV teammate ->Call in Bomber.

See 5+ enemies on a point/bomb site/whatever?

STEALTH BOMBER! point.

If they're idiots and don't notice.

MoronA (Bomber) You
MoronB (Bomber) You
MoronC (Bomber) You
MoronD (Bomber) You
MoronE (Bomber) You
MoronF (Bomber) You

Challenge Complete: Tango Down.

Shit, you could do this in CoD4 with the airstrike as well. It's a matter of having someone with a UAV or guessing (blindly, but knowing the maps help) where the team is most likely to plant/cap/whatever.

Airstrike/Bomber was and still is one of the more fun killstreaks in CoD. Mostly because it's a rain of guaranteed death for people that don't fucking move while you guard/offensive.

Sielys

Stealth bomber is amazing, I dunno what you're all talking about. Easily the best airstrike. only one pass, but it goes across the length of the entire map - in the direction you pointed it in -, and has infinite payload with enormous AoE. It's existentially a big line of death painted across the entire map.

Narag

I think I'm about done with the game. I'll hit the 2nd prestige and call it quits. The inordinate amount of people that like to line up in front of me just because I leave room is getting to me. :(

Got the PC version for half price, which is good because this isn't a $60 game.

It's fucking sad that there aren't dedicated servers. It would solve 80% of the issues the game has atm. Infinity ward would prefer a broken system that they have total control of I guess. If any studio deserves to shut down it's them.

Loxley

So I got my highest streak of kills ever today (20) on Estate, and part of the reason I'm so proud of that is because I did it without the assistance of any Killstreaks; I got all 20 solely through kills with the M4A1. On top of that I wasn't using Cold Blooded or a silencer, so I was essentially as loud as I could possibly be.

I'm not by any means bragging obviously since many people have done better, but it just felt great to go on a streak that long without Harriers, the Pavelow or Chopper Gunner, just me n' my trusty M4 (which I am growing to love the more I use it).

If any studio deserves to shut down it's them.

Yeah, that makes total sense.

I'm playing the PC version as well.

Top Bottom