• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

DeuceMojo said:
I've spent the last few levels reclaiming the tube (to blaze through the One Man Army and Danger Close challenges) and brother, it is boring relying on that thing. Although I can see the benefit now of keeping a RDS/noobtube rifle in the closet for those Wasteland matches.
the blast shield has become my favorite equipment since the '87s got gimped everyones been noobtubin' like crazy. blast shield will take one direct hit. while you are reloading im putting a clip in to your torso-ish area, and keeping the bunker in wasteland all for myself...:lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Meier said:
Explain.. like I said, I am new to using a javelin. If it locks on, do I just keep waiting and it will lock on further? Or do you mean multiple lock-ons as in lock-ons from separate people?
He just means that certain killstreak rewards (pavelows, chopper gunner, AC130) shoot out flares, meaning you have to shoot at them more than once usually to take them down.

Meier

RubxQub said:
He just means that certain killstreak rewards (pavelows, chopper gunner, AC130) shoot out flares, meaning you have to shoot at them more than once usually to take them down.
Even with Scavenger Pro on, I seem to only have 1 Javelin right off the bat. Does this ever upgrade with kills? Or are you basically left to pray your shot goes through?

X26

Banned
Meier said:
Even with Scavenger Pro on, I seem to only have 1 Javelin right off the bat. Does this ever upgrade with kills? Or are you basically left to pray your shot goes through?

always one shot max, and if you're the first to fire on sometihng with flares it'll never hit

for AA stinger is infinitely better than the javelin

Meier said:
Explain.. like I said, I am new to using a javelin. If it locks on, do I just keep waiting and it will lock on further? Or do you mean multiple lock-ons as in lock-ons from separate people?

The guy you quote was being deliberately confusing. For all practical purposes, it takes multiple hits from a Stinger/Javelin to bring those things down.

Technically if they're out of flares, or if you get lucky, they only take a single hit. For example, if you're standing right underneath a Pave Low, it'll go down with one shot because it flies low enough that the flares won't throw the Stinger missiles off target.

As has been said: if you want to go for Anti-Air, you always want the Stinger since it has two shots (but it can only fire when locked onto an airborne target). The advantage behind the Javelin is that it can lock onto an empty spot of ground, thus allowing you to shell the enemy. It's not usually that effective, but amazingly fun when it works.

Meier

X26 said:
always one shot max, and if you're the first to fire on sometihng with flares it'll never hit

for AA stinger is infinitely better than the javelin
Good to know. I'll have to try again tonight to take down a few supports that are up when I die.

UFRA

Pete Rock said:
What? I seriously have no idea how you reached this conclusion from the statements I made in regards to the circumstances outlined in that particular instance.

It's not about entitlement over any particular crate in my drop drop (the random nature guarantees nothing), it's about watching half of my team throw their situational awareness and instincts out the window in a vain effort for a freebie.

You're also wrong; I would have loved to see them attempt and subsequently fail to play as a team. Instead what I got was a bunch of jackals giving the advancing enemy free kills while ignoring the objective in the pursuit of securing something they didn't even remotely "earn".

The fact that I had to drop my own Harrier to secure the area should have given you a clue as to how useless these fucks were, but apparently it's easier to assume I'm overly sensitive and prone to whining fits and the people jacking my shit were really white knights saving the day. Where is the rolling eye emoticon when you need it... :lol

Well, maybe read your own post again, it screams "whiner" because you automatically assume everyone is trying to "steal" your packages. As others have said, when someone else gets an EAD, I like to help secure the packages for MY team by taking stuff like ammo, UAV's, or Counter UAV's. I leave the fun killstreaks for the guy who called in the EAD unless he dies and I see the enemy is trying to get it or something.

You just automatically assume everyone's a douchebag trying to get your stuff. The EAD can easily be a turning point for a game, and being a greedy bastard won't get you too far.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't thiink he meant the engine suddenly changes, but in terms of format, S+D is like any de_ game in CS.
Well, they both ARE search and destroy after all but in terms of gameplay, they play nothing alike. If the MW2 maps were smaller, maybe.

UFRA

NullPointer said:
It is a safer assumption.

lol Indeed, there are a lot of jerks online in MW2, but I guess it's just my way of playing that has worked well 90% of the time for my EAD's.

I usually ask via mic for people to help me pick them up too. As I said, it's better for my team to get them than the enemy. I always grab the deadliest killstreak first, and usually let my teammates grab at least an airstrike or harrier or something.

At that point, the EAD is my last of the 3 killstreaks, so I don't need anymore kills, why not let them have a little fun too? :)

GodofWine

With EADs I figure that the person who called it can grab them so fast that he can usually decide to take them all or not. So, if im in the area, I'll give him a 1-2 package head start, and then start grabbing one.

If they want it, they can surely claim it before my slow-ass white bar fills.

Sielys

I love how long it takes to call EADs in. Since the plane is on the map long before the drop is actually made, I can just run in it's direction to the end of the map. Wait for the packages to drop, see the frenzy to collect them, then kill the enemy and take them all to myself :lol
Vary rarely does there seem to be more than 1-3 people going for the EAD on the enemy team, but when I call one in there's at least 5 people clustering around my smoke...

backflip10019 said:
Oh shit, page 420. Joint Ops, High Command, ganja leaf bro.
Right on, Brosef. I hope to God the world never gets sick of that 420 thing, what with it being the date of the Columbine shootings and Adolf Hitler's birthday. Bro man, what a chill day that is. One love!

UFRA

GodofWine said:
With EADs I figure that the person who called it can grab them so fast that he can usually decide to take them all or not. So, if im in the area, I'll give him a 1-2 package head start, and then start grabbing one.

If they want it, they can surely claim it before my slow-ass white bar fills.

Exactly.

DeuceMojo said:
I've spent the last few levels reclaiming the tube (to blaze through the One Man Army and Danger Close challenges) and brother, it is boring relying on that thing. Although I can see the benefit now of keeping a RDS/noobtube rifle in the closet for those Wasteland matches.

I would call S&D the Siege of Call of Duty. For those patient enough to sit around and watch some other guys run around until the end of the match, this game's for you.

FU@#$ yes I am all over that. I had no idea there was a mode like that. Thanks guys!

divisionbyzorro said:
Killstreaks aside, it is CS.

I can't comment on S&D obviously but if were talking shooter mechanics they aren't remotely similar.

RubxQub said:
You're not missing anything. Tons of people in Hardcore just camp endlessly because they are too afraid to die.

I swear, TDM is the only mode where people don't play like total fuck-ups.

There are no crutches in Hardcore like there is in regular TDM. No constant radar telling me where every one is at all times, no second chance to see where I got shot from with the kill cam, people don't spray and pray because you'll kill your teammates. It's the best version to play by far IMO. I can't stand playing regular TDM. I'm a big fan of playing a game where I shoot you and you die. None of this shooting a guy then he lunges at me with a knife killing me. WTF is that shit? In hardcore, I shoot that knife guy and guess what... he's dead. Oh, and also... no instant respawn crap. There is an actual penalty for dying.

I play regular TDM to up some of my other guns and the camping in that mode takes the cake all over Hardcore. In hardcore, it's not a good strategy at all to camp cause there is no radar to protect you and most times campers are the first to die. You work as a team more and it keeps you more on your toes cause you can't depend on the game to help you out and you actually have to play the game.

RavenFox said:
You should. No damn radar unless you earn it and no damn killcam plus friendly fire. You become a much better player through hardcore.

Yup

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
tarius1210 said:
Cold Blooded Pro on Overpass, Wasteland, Derail and maybe Afghan. Stopping Power Pro on everything else.

Hey GAF, can we set up some Private Matches on the PS3 against each other sometime?

But that would require another custom class slot... which means I would finally have to prestige... NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Digital Limit said:
That's not true. Every killstreak reward dies after one hit.

Multiple lock-ons are required however, given flares subvert potential hits.
Ha, I knew someone would call me out on this, but I was tired and didn't feel like editing my post. Semantics, is all.

practice02 said:
I rarely see jumping sniper head shots.
In my time with the multi I had plenty of deaths where the enemy jumped or headshot me while falling, not a sniper but being off the ground should make your aiming go nuts.

DeuceMojo said:
Another reason I hate Estate: it's a rework of Creek, and getting to be my least-favorite, most-played map. I vote to skip it every time.

Although the roof of the boathouse is an excellent place to target the front of the house. Estate has made me appreciate the thermal sight more than any other map.

Yes same here. I loved creek when it first came out because at the time people were still getting used to the map so it wasnt always a sniper shoot. After a couple of months it degraded so much that I hated it.

Estate is better than creek since theres a lot more tree cover, but still, I'm starting to dislike it. Boathouse is awesome, my buddy showed me how to get up there and people take awhile to catch on to it.

I remember when my buddies and I(all 6 of us) were on TDM together and I managed to get an emergency air drop on scrapyard. We had the side with the "House" looking building and I told my buds to take defense spots in and around the house if possible. I then told them I was going to throw my ead just behind the fence. Dumbass people on the other side bought it and kept going for it the SAME way it took a minute or two for them to figure out that it was impossible to get. :lol

X26

Banned
One guy tried to 360 one-shot me with a sniper. It was on estate and I was going up the hill toward the greenhouse and he jumped down while doing a 360, shot and missed, and I knifed him. Things like that make me wish the game had a theater mode.

X26 said:
One guy tried to 360 one-shot me with a sniper. It was on estate and I was going up the hill toward the greenhouse and he jumped down while doing a 360, shot and missed, and I knifed him. Things like that make me wish the game had a theater mode.

I totally agree. There are so many times that I wanted to look back and remember an insane match that I had.

RubxQub

backflip10019 said:
So it took me exactly 5 days on the dot to get to second prestige. Not too shabby.
Same pace as me.

What game modes do you play? When I said this people flipped out and accused me of sucking :lol

vatstep said:
Ha, I knew someone would call me out on this, but I was tired and didn't feel like editing my post. Semantics, is all.

Heh, sorry.

Just bothers me because I used to think Pave Lows could survive two direct hits after flares for the reason I poorly corrected.

.nimrod

it amazes me how people always hide in fear when enemy harriers are up

PRO-TIP: Harriers only shoot you if they're pointing in your direction, so always have a look at your radar as it is safe to run outside quite often when they are around.
You can also surprise the enemy that way.

RubxQub

Lionheart1827 said:
Yes because you accused everyone of having no lives. :lol

STOP SUCKING SO MUCH QUB!

j/k :D
I said I had no life as well, though! RARRRRRRRR! :lol

OldJadedGamer said:
There are no crutches in Hardcore like there is in regular TDM. No constant radar telling me where every one is at all times, no second chance to see where I got shot from with the kill cam, people don't spray and pray because you'll kill your teammates. It's the best version to play by far IMO. I can't stand playing regular TDM. I'm a big fan of playing a game where I shoot you and you die. None of this shooting a guy then he lunges at me with a knife killing me. WTF is that shit? In hardcore, I shoot that knife guy and guess what... he's dead. Oh, and also... no instant respawn crap. There is an actual penalty for dying.

I play regular TDM to up some of my other guns and the camping in that mode takes the cake all over Hardcore. In hardcore, it's not a good strategy at all to camp cause there is no radar to protect you and most times campers are the first to die. You work as a team more and it keeps you more on your toes cause you can't depend on the game to help you out and you actually have to play the game.

Yup

This isnt strictly true. If you press start and bring up the field map, it still tells you all the info that a regular UAV does, such as teammate positions and where the enemy is when they start shooting(except it wont tell you position of enemy air support. For that you need a real UAV). When I hear a gunshot go off, no matter where on the map, a quick press of start, glance, and start again tells me exactly where that sniper is. I use this strategy in Core too, as soon as a UAV goes up press start, and you get actual positions everywhere on the map, not just the guys close to you with the rest as vague "over there somewhere" information.

Admittedly, you have to stop moving for a second and your view is obstructed, but for me its no different than if I were to check the score by pressing back instead. The intel gained is worth the second of vulnerability while I check the map.

EDIT:
Also, if you are playing core and get killed, while watching the killcam press start, it will show you the position of every player on the enemy team. Killcam helps you smoke out the entire enemy team, not just the one guy that killed you!

Pyke Presco said:
This isnt strictly true. If you press start and bring up the field map, it still tells you all the info that a regular UAV does, such as teammate positions and where the enemy is when they start shooting(except it wont tell you position of enemy air support. For that you need a real UAV). When I hear a gunshot go off, no matter where on the map, a quick press of start, glance, and start again tells me exactly where that sniper is. I use this strategy in Core too, as soon as a UAV goes up press start, and you get actual positions everywhere on the map, not just the guys close to you with the rest as vague "over there somewhere" information.

Admittedly, you have to stop moving for a second and your view is obstructed, but for me its no different than if I were to check the score by pressing back instead. The intel gained is worth the second of vulnerability while I check the map.

EDIT:
Also, if you are playing core and get killed, while watching the killcam press start, it will show you the position of every player on the enemy team. Killcam helps you smoke out the entire enemy team, not just the one guy that killed you!

Wow all this time and I never knew this. :lol I mean I knew the map was there on the start screen, but I didnt know it shows up the way you described in hardcore.

RubxQub said:
Same pace as me.

What game modes do you play? When I said this people flipped out and accused me of sucking :lol
I play primarily Demolition, MTDM and Ground War with the occasional HQ and Domination when I'm playing with friends. Is that really a slow pace? Are people really prestiging faster than that?

Spydy

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:

Hardcore improves your game like nothing else. You have to visualize your team, the enemy and your own position on the map. I never think like that when I play the odd game of regular TDM. That feels way too run-and-gun for me. I've been playing HTDM exclusively since CoD4.

My Classes per Map (Hardcore):
Afgan, Derail, Estate, Invasion, Quarry, Rundown, Terminal
M16 w/ Silencer & ACOG
Bling Pro
Cold Blooded Pro
Ninja Pro

Favela, Highrise, Scrapyard
Vector w/ Holo Sight
Scavenger Pro
Hardline Pro
Commando Pro

Karachi, SkidRow, SubBase, Underpass
ACR w/ Holo Sight
Scavenger Pro
Hardline Pro
SitRep Pro

Wasteland
50 Cal w/ Silencer
Marathon Pro
Lightweight Pro
Steady Aim Pro

Spare class for fun
HBAR w/ grip
Sleight of Hand Pro
Danger Close
Steady Aim Pro

backflip10019 said:
I play primarily Demolition, MTDM and Ground War with the occasional HQ and Domination when I'm playing with friends. Is that really a slow pace? Are people really prestiging faster than that?

Well, anecdotal evidence to be sure, and I did play CoD4 for 2 years straight so I started off good at the game and have only gotten better, but with almost exclusively playing TDM, MTDM and HCTDM (as in, 90%+ of my games, with a scattering of groundwar/domination and 1 or 2 games max in third person, search, or HQ) I am currently at 60/61 or so on my fourth prestige with about 8.5 days. If I were to play objective games and camp for kills, I could have grinded guns and leveled even faster, could easily be 5th or 6th prestige by now.

So yeah, theres people prestiging faster, but I do have a bit of an edge and lots of practice at this kind of game.

whitehawk

Banned
My god demolition is UNBALANCED.

Defending is a hell of a lot easier. If the game ends in a tie (which it usually does) then the defending team has a huge advantage. Something needs to be done.

HappyDad

Neo Member
Am I the only one who's having trouble motivating myself to play as much as I used to with COD4? I got the game at lauch and still at 54. I'm doing fine with 1.72 K/D, but I don't see myself hitting even level 70, not to mention prestige. I can't feel the same urge to play like COD4 days.

Scarecrow

Soooooo close to 10 kills in a row. Then a guy sneaks up behind me :(

I thought it was pretty hilarious on a different match on that one train ice level when I tried to snipe. I got knifed in the back. Turns out the guy was standing over me for a good 5 seconds or so before he killed me, to the laughter of me and my friends who were watching :lol

Scarecrow said:
Soooooo close to 10 kills in a row. Then a guy sneaks up behind me :(

I thought it was pretty hilarious on a different match on that one train ice level when I tried to snipe. I got knifed in the back. Turns out the guy was standing over me for a good 5 seconds or so before he killed me, to the laughter of me and my friends who were watching :lol

This guy was camping in one of the corners of the bunker in Wasteland. I ran in and had no idea he was there, so I parked myself right in front of him (with my backtowards him). It took him nearly twenty seconds to look up, see my name in green and realise I wasn't part of his team. :lol

whitehawk said:
My god demolition is UNBALANCED.

Defending is a hell of a lot easier. If the game ends in a tie (which it usually does) then the defending team has a huge advantage. Something needs to be done.

Some maps are favored to the defending team with the close proximity of the spawns but most of them are pretty balanced. Derail, Estate, Afghan.. those are the only ones that instantly come to mind when I think of how hard it is to win on offense. Personally I think they should flip flop the way they determine who defends in overtime. I guess it picks the team with the most points to defend? I think it should make that team attack. If they have more points then they are apparently the better team and thus they should get the bigger challenge.

Hanmik

Damn I had my best round EVAR yesterday. Was playing Team Deathmatch on Afghan on my PS3..

Started out by running to the Bunker. Nailed 2 enemies with my Trusty UMP45 with Stopping power, Scavenger+ and Steady Aim. Turned around and nailed 1 incoming enemy from behind. Ran down to the middle of the map and killed 2 more incoming enemies. Now I had my Sentry Gun. Crouched down in the bushes and nailed one more. Ran back to the bunker and placed the Sentry Gun I just picked up from my crate.
BANG BANG 2 more kills, call in my Harrier. 2 Kills right away. But a teammate has already called in a Pavelow. So I rush to the back of the map, on my way the teammates pavelow gets shot down, so now my Pavelow and my harrier are both ranking up kills. I kill 3 incoming enemies, and look at my kill/death ratio. 19-0... nice.. Both my harrier and Pavelow are gone now. So I run to the downed airplane in the middle of the map and start killing enemies hiding in the hole in the middle.
1.2.3.4.5 kills in less than 30 seconds... Damn my score is now 24-0.. my personal best killstreak EVAR..! And then...

PSN logs me off... YES I´m fucking serious.. I get kicked off PSN.. I get thrown off the game.. I quickly log onto PSN again and rejoin the match.. on the other team.. I get 2 kills and die once..and the game ends.. I lose 2300-7500.. BUT it was fucking me who did all the killing.. ARGHHHHHHH...

And off course none of my statistics and emblems show up.. nothing..

So Thank you PSN.. thank you.. (switch the word thank with fuck)...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Hanmik said:
Damn I had my best round EVAR yesterday. Was playing Team Deathmatch on Afghan on my PS3..

Started out by running to the Bunker. Nailed 2 enemies with my Trusty UMP45 with Stopping power, Scavenger+ and Steady Aim. Turned around and nailed 1 incoming enemy from behind. Ran down to the middle of the map and killed 2 more incoming enemies. Now I had my Sentry Gun. Crouched down in the bushes and nailed one more. Ran back to the bunker and placed the Sentry Gun I just picked up from my crate.
BANG BANG 2 more kills, call in my Harrier. 2 Kills right away. But a teammate has already called in a Pavelow. So I rush to the back of the map, on my way the teammates pavelow gets shot down, so now my Pavelow and my harrier are both ranking up kills. I kill 3 incoming enemies, and look at my kill/death ratio. 19-0... nice.. Both my harrier and Pavelow are gone now. So I run to the downed airplane in the middle of the map and start killing enemies hiding in the hole in the middle.
1.2.3.4.5 kills in less than 30 seconds... Damn my score is now 24-0.. my personal best killstreak EVAR..! And then...

PSN logs me off... YES I´m fucking serious.. I get kicked off PSN.. I get thrown off the game.. I quickly log onto PSN again and rejoin the match.. on the other team.. I get 2 kills and die once..and the game ends.. I lose 2300-7500.. BUT it was fucking me who did all the killing.. ARGHHHHHHH...

And off course none of my statistics and emblems show up.. nothing..

So Thank you PSN.. thank you.. (switch the word thank with fuck)...
I was :)

But then I was :(

Loxley

DeuceMojo said:

This is why I love the "Grenadier" default class :D;

Famas + 'nade launcher
SPAS-12 w/ silencer (the silencer is less than ideal, but whatever)
~Scavenger (moar 'nadez lololol)
~Stopping Power
~Commando

That setup is actually good enough to warrant me not wasting a class solely for the grenade launcher.

I'm a couple of days late because I recently prestiged, but the AK-47 is a beast. I mopped up with that gun and maybe it's just me but putting a silencer on it seems to reduce the recoil.

Top Bottom