• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Ezahn

Well, I can safely say that I'm late for the MW2 party (just got my 360 copy).

What can GAF reccomend as a very noobish, very old-man (cause that's what I am a 33 in an FPS ^^) starting setup?

Minamu

Ezahn said:
Well, I can safely say that I'm late for the MW2 party (just got my 360 copy).

What can GAF reccomend as a very noobish, very old-man (cause that's what I am a 33 in an FPS ^^) starting setup?
The starting classes are pretty good. Especially the sub machine gun class. But it all comes down to preference of course.

divisionbyzorro said:
So is it just me, or are Harriers exceptionally good at shooting down other air support?
I've heard those stories as well but never seen it o_O I did manage to destroy a Harrier with a Predtor missile though. That was awesome.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Loxley said:
This is why I love the "Grenadier" default class :D;

Famas + 'nade launcher
SPAS-12 w/ silencer (the silencer is less than ideal, but whatever)
~Scavenger (moar 'nadez lololol)
~Stopping Power
~Commando

That setup is actually good enough to warrant me not wasting a class solely for the grenade launcher.
Swap in One Man Army and you don't even have to move to get more ammo :)

Ezahn said:
As you'll soon discover, there is no one perfect setup (which is the game's defining feature IMO). One needs to build different classes for different maps/situations/gametypes to truly do well.

I would experiment with the default classes to see which ones work best for each map or which one speaks to your play style. Are you a mid range type player? Do you go cautiously throughout a map, sticking to the key choke points? The FAMAS with grenade launcher is a good combo. Or do you like to get up close and personal? Or snipe from a distance? The default classes are pretty good in that they cover these basic setups.

When you unlock perks and custom slots come back to us :D

Griffith

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
So is it just me, or are Harriers exceptionally good at shooting down other air support?
From my experience, if there is an enemy helicopter in the air and you call in a Harrier, it should almost always shoot it down. I've destroyed chopper gunners, pave lows and regular helicopters with harriers.

Akimbo G18s, best guns in the game.

Man, this game just gets better every time I play it. Even when I step out of Merc TDM and get pounded by some real teams, it's still fun.

Griffith said:
From my experience, if there is an enemy helicopter in the air and you call in a Harrier, it should almost always shoot it down. I've destroyed chopper gunners, pave lows and regular helicopters with harriers.

There's no reason why a Chopper Gunner should ever be shot by a Harrier - if you're in the CG, you should always shoot down the Harrier since you run the risk of being shot by it otherwise.

DeuceMojo said:

Keep spreading the word, brother.

Gio_CoD

Banned
When you people talk about akimbo 1887s, you're talking about those fucksticks with the double old-school shotguns, right? I can't stand those. It sounds like you're all saying they got depowered a bit too, and if that's true, I can't even imagine what they must have been like before.

Ezahn

RSTEIN said:
As you'll soon discover, there is no one perfect setup (which is the game's defining feature IMO). One needs to build different classes for different maps/situations/gametypes to truly do well.

When you unlock perks and custom slots come back to us :D

Well, this sounds like some good advice. ^^ Tnx gentlemen, I'll surely come back for more when I'm more experienced with the game and I'll have found my core approach.

GodofWine

DeuceMojo said:

Man, this game just gets better every time I play it. Even when I step out of Merc TDM and get pounded by some real teams, it's still fun.

Seriously, I think we share the brain in terms of MW2...every post you have written in this thread, Im like, 'wow, its not just me'.

I kick ass in MTDM and even express..but the 'good' players in TDM wreck me..its total night and day. I might go 20:12 in MTDM and 12:20 in TDM on average.

Graf Nudu said:
Btw. can you shoot down a stealth bomber? Be it with a Predator or Javelin?

Javelin will take too long. I suppose you could theoretically do it with Stingers or a Predator if you got lucky enough to see it soon enough.

This sounds like one for the MW2 Mythbusters

Dyno

Finally cracked the Echo missions on Co-op last night with a bud. (We play only once a week.) Kill Juggernauts with nothing but explosive weapons. Ooh wee that was fun!

I really enjoyed the single player and was disappointed by the multiplayer. Most surprisingly however was the co-op missions. They bascially blow away any other co-op game in recent memory. No co-op game can deliver both the graphics, the precise movement, and the action.

The engine used for COD games can really do some wonderful things. With Treyarch's zombie games and IW's missions, we could stand to take a break from COD and explore other options.

Dyno said:
The engine used for COD games can really do some wonderful things. With Treyarch's zombie games and IW's missions, we could stand to take a break from COD and explore other options.

Don't worry.
Funkytown is loading
Call of Duty Online will be coming soon.

I loooooooooooooooooooooooooove RPGs, too much fun.

Even though I die a lot with them, its too funny trying to 'snipe' someone with an RPG in wasteland only to see it on a exponential path upward only to fly over my targets head by a solid 150ft :)

I swear if I would just play with a silcenced Famas or M16 all day I'd be 2.0+ K/D

Its classes things like the Riot shield, throwing knives and RPGs that was just way to much fun to not play with that be me grounded at 1.4ish.

Gio_CoD said:
When you people talk about akimbo 1887s, you're talking about those fucksticks with the double old-school shotguns, right? I can't stand those. It sounds like you're all saying they got depowered a bit too, and if that's true, I can't even imagine what they must have been like before.
They were glorious/intolerable. :D

Az

My K/D has been suffering lately since I keep trying new things, 2.15 is not bad for me I just need to get a better set up.

TheAzRim said:
My K/D has been suffering lately since I keep trying new things, 2.15 is not bad for me I just need to get a better set up.

If I played for all of my 3.5 days like I did for 3.5 hours last night, I'd have a 4:1 ratio.

I was lights out yesterday. I have a newfound respect for the UMP.

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
There's no reason why a Chopper Gunner should ever be shot by a Harrier - if you're in the CG, you should always shoot down the Harrier since you run the risk of being shot by it otherwise.
Can you even shoot down UAV's and stuff from the CG? I've never thought of shooting at anything but people. :lol

Gio_CoD said:
There are actually two sets of akimbo, old-school shotguns. The 1887's are the Terminator 2 ones, and they used to be fucking insane but were patched and have dropped in usage. The double-barreled Ranger seems to have made a comeback since then.

I'm using the Striker myself now and it seems kind-of as ridiculous as the pre-patch 1887's sometimes. I've taken guys out at the 1887 range, but then again that's with aiming and me knowing what's up while the opponent didn't so I guess it's been fair so far. Did have one kill where even I was like "woah woah woah I should not have killed him at that range!" :lol

Az

divisionbyzorro said:
If I played for all of my 3.5 days like I did for 3.5 hours last night, I'd have a 4:1 ratio.

I have about 5 days in it I guess and I am a beast with the M4 but it's just getting old. I've used the ACR in hardcore, and need to get used to it in regular domination games.

Used the UMP in smaller maps and man it's like the MP5 from COD4. Good choice.

Gio_CoD

Banned
Got about ~9 hours in multi, think I'm a level 30. Just grinding through guns right now trying to get perk challenges and gun challenges. M4 sucks balls. SCAR seems alright, but has no ammo. Took sleight of hand off and went with stopping power. Creeping through the levels and never staying in the same place after a kill is a pretty decent way to keep a 2:1 or 3:1 K/D ratio.

aku:jiki said:
Can you even shoot down UAV's and stuff from the CG? I've never thought of shooting at anything but people. :lol
Yeah they were smart with aircraft. Predators can kill helos/Harriers, Harriers can kill each other and helos, AC kills everything, chopper gunner kills whatever it can see that's outside.
I think they did a bang-up job of making aircraft vulnerable. I must've shot down 4 chopper gunners/AC130s just last night, with easily 15 other aircraft besides. Gotta be harsh when your team calls in a Harrier and Cobra one right after the other, then some asshat like me steps in and take both down within 10 seconds.

aku:jiki said:
Can you even shoot down UAV's and stuff from the CG? I've never thought of shooting at anything but people.

I've never tried shooting down UAVs, but I always take out the killing air support unless I'm rolling with Cold Blooded. I suppose if you're not nuke hunting it doesn't really matter, as more often than not the CG will be at the end of your streak set, but it's still preferable to being shot while crouched over a laptop.

womfalcs3

Banned
Loving the AK-47. With the holographic sight, it's pretty awesome.

I also just unlocked the thermal scope for the Barrett (sp?) sniper rifle. I pretty much only use it on Estate and Wasteland.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
NarcissisticJay said:
I loooooooooooooooooooooooooove RPGs, too much fun.

Even though I die a lot with them, its too funny trying to 'snipe' someone with an RPG in wasteland only to see it on a exponential path upward only to fly over my targets head by a solid 150ft :)

I swear if I would just play with a silcenced Famas or M16 all day I'd be 2.0+ K/D

Its classes things like the Riot shield, throwing knives and RPGs that was just way to much fun to not play with that be me grounded at 1.4ish.

I love RPGs, too, especially on maps where people tend to cluster in bunkers or buildings. Like Afghan, for example. People love to stay in the bunkers or in the cave. RPG away! Or Skidrow by flag B. Or the middle bunker on Wasteland.

I guess noob tubing works just as well (or more effectively in some ways) but RPGs give you more satisfaction :D

DeuceMojo said:
I think they did a bang-up job of making aircraft vulnerable. I must've shot down 4 chopper gunners/AC130s just last night, with easily 15 other aircraft besides. Gotta be harsh when your team calls in a Harrier and Cobra one right after the other, then some asshat like me steps in and take both down within 10 seconds.

Too bad you don't even get a Stinger until level 30, and Cold Blooded until level 25. That's dumb designing right there. A Stinger, and Cold Blooded should've been unlocked right from the beginning to give people a chance against air support, especially since 95% of the people playing this game don't bother to take them out.

RSTEIN said:
I love RPGs, too, especially on maps where people tend to cluster in bunkers or buildings. Like Afghan, for example. People love to stay in the bunkers or in the cave. RPG away! Or Skidrow by flag B. Or the middle bunker on Wasteland.

I guess noob tubing works just as well (or more effectively in some ways) but RPGs give you more satisfaction :D

I swear I can kill people with the damage from the rocket exhaust.. and then another one when it explodes :)

Too funny.

We'll have make a rpg team and piss everyone off

I honestly don't understand GAF's love of Cold Blooded. For anything other than TDM on Wasteland, it doesn't make sense to me why you would sacrifice the chance of killing someone (with Stopping Power) only to not be targeted by air support. I mean, air support is usually easy enough to dodge on your own. If the enemy calls something in, just go in a building, easy as that. And if you can't make it into a safe spot in time, chances are that you would be killed by whatever air support is being called in anyway (air strike, predator, etc).

Oh and the fact that you don't show up on Thermal - how often do people really use it outside of Wasteland? Yeah, not long enough to justify giving up Stopping Power.

And if you're really worried about showing up on radar, why not just use a silencer? Cold Blooded just doesn't seem worth it to me unless you're a really careless player.

divisionbyzorro said:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

VaLiancY

backflip10019 said:
I honestly don't understand GAF's love of Cold Blooded. For anything other than TDM on Wasteland, it doesn't make sense to me why you would sacrifice the chance of killing someone (with Stopping Power) only to not be targeted by air support. I mean, air support is usually easy enough to dodge on your own. If the enemy calls something in, just go in a building, easy as that. And if you can't make it into a safe spot in time, chances are that you would be killed by whatever air support is being called in anyway (air strike, predator, etc).

Oh and the fact that you don't show up on Thermal - how often do people really use it outside of Wasteland? Yeah, not long enough to justify giving up Stopping Power.

And if you're really worried about showing up on radar, why not just use a silencer? Cold Blooded just doesn't seem worth it to me unless you're a really careless player.

Flanking. If you're going against a team who likes to camp or defend, they depend on that UAV coverage. And you can't be targeted by killstreaks helps a lot when you're flanking. And Stopping Power helps more at range than it does in close combat so if you have an UMP which has no damage drop off, it doesn't make a big difference.

Leunam

Since I mostly play Hardcore modes I find Cold Blooded Pro to be very useful. Stopping Power doesn't help all that much when an FAL already kills in one shot.

Leunam said:
Since I mostly play Hardcore modes I find Cold Blooded Pro to be very useful. Stopping Power doesn't help all that much when an FAL already kills in one shot.

Random OT:

I take it you pronounce that "eff-ay-ell?" That would make sense since you called it "an FAL."

I call it the "Fahl," in which it would only make sense to call it "a FAL."

Okay, I'm done with that. Carry on.

Leunam said:
Right, I forgot about Hardcore. I only really use CB in HC.

backflip10019 said:

Don't overlook the fact that Cold-blooded removes yourself from enemy UAV.

You'd be surprised how many kills a Cold-blooded player is rewarded with because enemies assume their UAV is telling them about every opposing player on the map. That said, I only have one class with Cold-blooded and it also has Stingers, just for those times when I die by air support. Getting killed by air support when trying to take it down is infuriating, so I don't risk a Stinger class without it.

Otherwise, I'm always using Lightweight or Stopping Power, or occasionally Hardline if I'm playing Hardcore.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Cold-Blooded Pro also makes you entirely invisible when you're hiding in tall grass or bushes, as your name won't pop up.

You can disappear just by going prone in most areas.

Just wanted to get in on the cold blooded discussion, I never used it until one of my friends said to try it out. Lets just say I don't use anything else anymore for my perk 2 slot, Cold Blooded Pro is god. Your whole team will be huddled in a building trying to escape air support while you can walk the map freely, no need to worry about air support or UAV's. It's so beautiful. Combine it with a stinger and you got yourself a great air support killing class. :D :D :D

Leunam

divisionbyzorro said:
Random OT:

I take it you pronounce that "eff-ay-ell?" That would make sense since you called it "an FAL."

I call it the "Fahl," in which it would only make sense to call it "a FAL."

Okay, I'm done with that. Carry on.

With the FAL, yeah, I pronounce it EFF-ay-ELL. But something like say, FAMAS, I'll pronounce it like a single word, instead of letter by letter. Both abbreviations, but FAMAS seems too awkward to say letter by letter.

VaLiancY

Leunam said:
With the FAL, yeah, I pronounce it EFF-ay-ELL. But something like say, FAMAS, I'll pronounce it like a single word, instead of letter by letter. Both abbreviations, but FAMAS seems too awkward to say letter by letter.

I say "FAH-MAHS". :lol

DeuceMojo said:
Yeah they were smart with aircraft. Predators can kill helos/Harriers, Harriers can kill each other and helos, AC kills everything, chopper gunner kills whatever it can see that's outside.

Dont forget a predator can kill an AC-130 as well. MW2 mythbusters did it in their 2nd video I think. You probably have to be lucky but its doable. :D

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
wow sweet, didnt realise cold blooded pro made your name go invisible when hidden. awesome.

cold blooded is essential now. it is soooo liberating to not have to worry too much about air support, no more ducking indoors or whatever, can just pretend its not there (aside from remembering to stay away from team mates who might not have it on). It's also amazing how often ninja/coldblooded combo surprises the shit out of so many people who rely on the UAV/HBS. that element of surprise alone has probably earned me 50 kills in the past week or so. Its also good for avoiding those lame campers with sniper and thermal.

I hate being caught by serial knifers but I have to admit I became one this morning! I used them on mercenary team deathmatch (so I wasn't neglecting my team objectives or anything!) and had so much fun throwing a few flashes into the pit on wastelands and running in and stabbing a bunch of guys. I hope I didn't seem like a douche playing that way.

MTD may have just become my fave mode. Not too many players so flanking is actually a reality (in ground war its not really flanking because the other team is never one body, its just running somewhere else) and no parties.

Less players allowed me to be a bit more cunning and methodical in my approach as well. I could actually stop and figure out where people were and I ended up improving my knowledge of the maps no end. For the first time, when someone killed me I felt comfortable hunting them down and getting revenge.

I keep thinking I have coldblooded and ninja on my marathon/lightweight class though :lol really need to remember that.

Top Bottom