• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Disguises

huacst21 said:
Uh... Am I the only one that noticed that when he called in his nuke, the score is 7300 but he kills two more and the score doesn't change or ends TDM?

wtf?

I noticed that too but assumed when a nuke activates, the game score can no longer change. Is that correct?

edit: Yar it is

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
DeuceMojo said:
Any old Ghost Recon players here? Like old-school GR and GR2? Even though I think games like MW2 have eliminated the need for "tactical shooters," I really do miss wide-open fields, woods, mountain ranges, small towns, big cities, etc. etc.

I was thinking about that the other day, actually. I was (am) a HUGE Ghost Recon fan. I think there is room for both. They are fundamentally different games. GR is much closer to the "reality" end of the spectrum. The Call of Duty franchise has gone further and further away from reality with each iteration and now occupies a space close to the edge of an event horizon or at minimum the point where a nonlinear dynamic system experiences a Hopf bifurcation.

divisionbyzorro said:
There's a challenge for using a nuke when your team is losing, and the reward is a sweet animated emblem. I bet he was hunting that challenge.

Once you call in the nuke the score freezes, regardless of the game mode.

Wow, didn't know that.

So if I'm playing Dom, I call in the nuke even though the other team has 199.

My team wins even though the other team scores 3-5 kills during the countdown?

Seems rather lame IMO and it makes the spinning star emblem pretty easy to get and a guaranteed success (call in a nuke while your team is losing).

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
huacst21 said:
Uh... Am I the only one that noticed that when he called in his nuke, the score is 7300 but he kills two more and the score doesn't change or ends TDM?

wtf?

Ground War, played to 10k

Ovid

huacst21 said:
Wow, didn't know that.

Yes.

Sielys

huacst21 said:
Wow, didn't know that.

Seems rather lame IMO and it makes the spinning star emblem pretty easy to get and a guaranteed success (call in a nuke while your team is losing).

No actually, because the score freezes when a nuke is called in. The score stops changing, the timer stays still, and the only thing that can stop it is an angry host quit.

huacst21 said:
Wow, didn't know that.

It is lame. I find nukes in general to be lame, even if my team wins to a nuke. That's because the nuke is an individual achievement, not a team achievement. Winning because of a nuke just means that you're lucky enough to have that guy on your team.

That's actually what inspired me to write this a few pages back. Under this system a nuke would be a team achievement that everyone could revel in.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19084171&postcount=20146

RSTEIN said:
The Call of Duty franchise has gone further and further away from reality with each iteration and now occupies a space close to the edge of an event horizon or at minimum the point where a nonlinear dynamic system experiences a Hopf bifurcation.
Yes, but there must still be room at the edge of that event horizon for a large airfield and surroundings, or a massive farm or plantation or the town of Chernobyl (all of it, not just Bloc). Names that stick out in my mind: Falls, Wilderness, Lost Convoy, Swamp, Sierra, Rolling Hills. I realize the scale of COD =/= Ghost Recon and both are played at far different speeds, but making a handful of huge maps in COD wouldn't be hurting anyone. It sure would make being a sniper a lot more interesting though.

DeuceMojo said:
Yes, but there must still be room at the edge of that event horizon for a large airfield and surroundings, or a massive farm or plantation or the town of Chernobyl (all of it, not just Bloc). Names that stick out in my mind: Falls, Wilderness, Lost Convoy, Swamp, Sierra, Rolling Hills. I realize the scale of COD =/= Ghost Recon and both are played at far different speeds, but making a handful of huge maps in COD wouldn't be hurting anyone. It sure would make being a sniper a lot more interesting though.

I don't see CoD going in that direction; not with the way that the game modes are structured. It just wouldn't fit without making a game mode specifically for those maps. Derail is already almost too large to be fun for most game modes in MW2.

I would be incredibly interested in seeing them take a page from either Killzone 2 or MAG in terms of how they structure their game modes. In fact, I was incredibly surprised that we didn't see a mode similar to KZ2's structure show up as a playlist in MW2.

smik

any news on new maps and modes

whats this rumor about nuclear warfare mode '& new maps coming soon, any truth to it?

smik said:
Whats this rumor about nuclear warfare mode '& new maps coming soon, any truth to it?

Someone found hooks in the code for the PC version for (I believe) a single-flag CTF, VIP, and nuclear warfare game mode. Who knows if they'll ever be activated or not.

Personally, I'm still holding out hope for a Juggernaut Free For All :lol :lol

smik

divisionbyzorro said:
Someone found hooks in the code for the PC version for (I believe) a single-flag CTF, VIP, and nuclear warfare game mode. Who knows if they'll ever be activated or not.

the videos i watches of them seem like their ok, i think its something IW was just messing around with and just didnt catch on as great modes to put in

divisionbyzorro said:
I don't see CoD going in that direction; not with the way that the game modes are structured. It just wouldn't fit without making a game mode specifically for those maps.
Exactly. A large map mode would be awesome.

Funny you mentioned MAG. I was just going to compare the two. Hard for me to conceive of that game not being like Battlefield with quick, cheap kills and deaths. But that's for another thread.

DeuceMojo said:
Exactly. A large map mode would be awesome.

Funny you mentioned MAG. I was just going to compare the two. Hard for me to conceive of that game not being like Battlefield with quick, cheap kills and deaths. But that's for another thread.

Battlefield only works because of vehicles. I believe MAG has those too, correct? In some ways, MW2 would be the first CoD that could possibly handle vehicles (what with the Stinger, Javelin, etc...) without it turning into an absolute mess. But I really don't see that happening.

womfalcs3

Banned
IW should remove the travesty that is Rust and replace it with another map at no extra charge. Just a terrible map.

It's so small. If somebody gets hot and calls in bombers and planes, it's really easy to accumulate a large amount of kills due to the small area.

RSTEIN

divisionbyzorro said:
Battlefield only works because of vehicles. I believe MAG has those too, correct? In some ways, MW2 would be the first CoD that could possibly handle vehicles (what with the Stinger, Javelin, etc...) without it turning into an absolute mess. But I really don't see that happening.

It would be sweet if on maps like Wasteland and Derail the Harrier and Attack Helicopter rewards were replaced with an Abrams. Imagine that rolling around :D

stocktrek-images-us-marines-provide-security-in-an-m1a1-abrams-tank.jpg

If vehicles were added to the game I would seriously consider stop playing. The game is so perfect for me right now, I don't want people hopping into tanks.

I just did my first Hardcore Headquarters match on Rust. Holy shit, what chaos. I got 79 kills. :lol All of my semtex challenges done. ;)

X26

Banned
Tank would have been a nice killstreak, each map has enough space to program a predetermined path for it and it wouldn't be overpowered since it would be much easier to take cover from it than something overhead. You'd control it like you would an ac130, no control over movement but can change the weapon from the machine gun to the turret

would have been a better killstreak than the nuke atleast

X26 said:
Tank would have been a nice killstreak, each map has enough space to program a predetermined path for it and it wouldn't be overpowered since it would be much easier to take cover from it than something overhead. You'd control it like you would an ac130, no control over movement but can change the weapon from the machine gun to the turret

would have been a better killstreak than the nuke atleast

It would be a total waste on both Favela and Skidrow.

Personally, I would have loved to see a juggernaut suit KS. Drop a marker, a crate comes down, and you get the juggernaut armor. Press right on the D-Pad, you get the OMA "changing kit" meter, and become the juggernaut. How awesome would that have been?

RSTEIN

divisionbyzorro said:

Personally, I would have loved to see a juggernaut suit KS. Drop a marker, a crate comes down, and you get the juggernaut armor. Press right on the D-Pad, you get the OMA "changing kit" meter, and become the juggernaut. How awesome would that have been?
Everytime you kill someone you scream I'M THE JUGGERNAUT BITCH

X26

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:

True, but a lot of the existing ks rewardhave their good and bad maps to use them on

And the jug suit idea would've been great...as long as you don't keep your perks while having the jug suit on (can you imagine the supersoldier build with it? :lol ). Yea they could have really got creative with killstreaks, but alas..

divisionbyzorro said:
So awesome.

divisionbyzorro said:

That would be sweet on domination.

Sielys said:
No actually, because the score freezes when a nuke is called in. The score stops changing, the timer stays still, and the only thing that can stop it is an angry host quit.

which normally is superlame, but in the context of domination I find this to be a legit tool of revenge.

I actually had such a 190-134 match in domination, where someone ended the match in "defeat" (my team) where it was going to be an obvious victory.

tbh I have no idea why IW considered it fair in any way that a nuke doesn't just end the match, it actually works ONLY on the enemy team (hello? Nuke?) and gets some free kills along the victory with simply using it.

I have only a nuke twice in a domination match though. But looking at the lack of UAV's in groundwar sometimes (8-12 people feels prehistoric for me), I think a lot people have it selected.

Sielys

If they were to add a vehicle, It'd have to be a motorcycle. I dislike to allude to halo, but the mongooses are fucking fun in MP.

Disguises

Ughh. Was just doing well near the end of a match I was playing terrible in. A teammate threw a semtex and killed 4 people with it then this happened:
PIC083.jpg

I will never know what was in my care package :(

Meier

Had my best night ever last night in TDM. 19-2-1, 17-3-2, 11-0-1, 12-1-1 and another similar performance. The 17-3-2 I had an AC130 at the end and got the 74th kill and had the would be 75th in the air but some guy knifed the dude a second before. Took my Challenge win away. :(

winnarps

huacst21 said:
The guys who were doing the hack/mod sucked ass. They were getting beat by their own mod.

This is such bs, hopefully this doesn't find it's way to PS3.

IW really dropped the ball.

This is the most popular online game in quite a while. And there are entire online forums/communities devoted to finding glitches/mods/hacks/etc.

This stuff was bound to happen.

I've recently been getting kicked out of rooms and reset and having my kills/assists/deaths reset. Thats whats been happening in that chopper gunner glitch movie. Was someone on the other team trying to glitch?

winnarps said:
This is the most popular online game in quite a while. And there are entire online forums/communities devoted to finding glitches/mods/hacks/etc.

This stuff was bound to happen.

These glitches are too frequent, even for the most popular online game. Besides, this glitch is game breaking.

What would happen if someone had akimbo vectors? Or a RPD with extended mags?

divisionbyzorro said:
It is lame. I find nukes in general to be lame, even if my team wins to a nuke. That's because the nuke is an individual achievement, not a team achievement. Winning because of a nuke just means that you're lucky enough to have that guy on your team.

That's actually what inspired me to write this a few pages back. Under this system a nuke would be a team achievement that everyone could revel in.

Yeah, it'd be awesome to have your team achieve a nuke.

A moment to cheer, rather than jeer.

I wish that didn't rhyme.

Hyunkel6

Scarecrow said:
whats a good secondary weapon if I'm using a sniper rifle? I've been using a striker so far

I always go with akimbo rangers when I'm sniping. They are the best shotguns at close range IMO. That being said, I'm only level 50 and did not try the 1887 that everyone is talking about.

divisionbyzorro said:

Did you play World at War? The War game mode had a momentum system that allowed you to cap points faster as your team accumulated kills and killstreaks, but the meter dropped back down to zero as soon as one of your points got capped.

divisionbyzorro said:

That sounds more like a TF2 thing.

venom2124

Scarecrow said:
whats a good secondary weapon if I'm using a sniper rifle? I've been using a striker so far
I roll with a silenced PP2000 when sniping. By far the best secondary weapon. I like it more than most of the smgs.

Top Bottom