• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

todahawk

divisionbyzorro said:
I find many shotguns are far more useful with stopping power - the Striker especially. Last night I took stopping power off of my CQC class (UMP + Striker) to see how it would go, and it didn't go well at all. I really like the Striker with SP, but I have found that it's not nearly as good as the SPAS in 1-on-1 (but you can quickly clear out a room with it).

But this is making me want to go back to the SPAS again as a primary shotgun...

LOVE the spas, I keep going back to it. I use it on most classes again but especially my sniper builds. I'm always surprised at it's range and it's great for clearing out enemies trying to take CPs.

GodofWine said:
I have been running Stopping power and FMJ on everything the last couple days...its glorious.
I'm sorry but I immediately thought of:
1138cap010.jpg

_Alkaline_ said:
The game's auto-aim works wonders with the SPAS, so I pretty much always just fire from the hip with it, though actually hitting the target properly still requires some skill.

I noticed in that video that he uses Ninja and not Steady Aim. Do you guys think that SA makes a noticeable difference on the SPAS?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
divisionbyzorro said:
I noticed in that video that he uses Ninja and not Steady Aim. Do you guys think that SA makes a noticeable difference on the SPAS?

It does to me, but maybe that's a placebo effect.

Last night I jumped on out of habit, and one of the first games had us pitted against a team with one of our buddies on the other side. This guy has a reputation as being really really good.
Well, on Scrapyard, I went 8-1 vs. just him. While playing the match, I get the first prestige title for my G18 and at the end of the game I say "hey, look at this title," to which he says "what that ought to say is 'f@g running around with two pistols!'" And the guy takes his shit seriously, so I knew he was bent. :lol
Small victory became highlight of the evening.

PS: It was glorious.

GodofWine

greenjerk said:
I'm sorry but I immediately thought of:
1138cap010.jpg

Thats cool..cause when I wrote it, I thought of :
zoolander-mugatu-crazy-pills.jpg

and even typed it with his voice in mind.

Back to my main question...can private games have open mics (talk to enemy?)

I don't know why, but MW2 is a game that I shouldn't play on a regular base. I took some time off from playing it until yesterday and it was so easy in MP to get kills etc. Whereas I was very frustrated before that break about the whole game.

winnarps

Graf Nudu said:
I don't know why, but MW2 is a game that I shouldn't play on a regular base. I took some time off from playing it until yesterday and it was so easy in MP to get kills etc. Whereas I was very frustrated before that break about the whole game.

I've noticed the same. At first I was all gung-ho about playing through and leveling up to 10th prestige as fast as possible, but then I realized how long that's going to take, ran into all the random glitches, had frustrations with matchmaking and spawning, etc.

So I took a break by revisiting TF2 and random Steam games (thank god for that holiday sale). Came back after a week hiatus and felt a ton better playing MW2.

GodofWine said:
In private matches, can you open the mics to chat with the other team too? I got a noob at work who just got the game, and I wanna show him around the maps.

I've done this with Warhawk..which is funny to watch noobs try to fly those things :D

Can't you talk to everyone in FFA? Play a FFA match in a private room.

GodofWine said:
In private matches, can you open the mics to chat with the other team too?
Either bring him in on a Ground War match while he's in party chat, or private match it, or possibly I donno, play on the same team as him.

GodofWine

Bumblebeetuna said:
Can't you talk to everyone in FFA? Play a FFA match in a private room.

I dunno...never once played FFA :lol but yea, that sounds correct and really really obvious now that I think about it....

It's Glorious!

GodofWine said:
In private matches, can you open the mics to chat with the other team too? I got a noob at work who just got the game, and I wanna show him around the maps.
You can talk to eachother if you make the game mode FFA or if you just join the same team in a TDM mode in the private match, rather than auto assign.

Try this guys:

FAMAS
Bling Pro (Holo Sight + FMJ)
Stopping Power Pro
Scrambler Pro

One shot kills and the range on this is fucking beyond belief. I get headshots on Wasteland with it.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Meus Renaissance said:
Try this guys:

FAMAS
Stopping Power Pro
Scrambler Pro

One shot kills and the range on this is fucking beyond belief. I get headshots on Wasteland with it.
What is it about Scrambler Pro that makes that build useful? I still can't wrap my head around why Scrambler Pro is desirable over other perks.
Ecto311 said:
Anyone know how to 100% multiplayer?
Level up to 70.

Everytime you prestige, your % complete goes beyond 100%. I'm at 280% or so, for instance, because I've prestiged twice.

RubxQub said:
What is it about Scrambler Pro that makes that build useful? I still can't wrap my head around why Scrambler Pro is desirable over other perks.

Level up to 70.

Everytime you prestige, your % complete goes beyond 100%. I'm at 280% or so, for instance, because I've prestiged twice.

Because it's the only decent 3rd perk outside Commando - which you don't need in open maps.

RubxQub

Foliorum Viridum said:
Surely just hit lvl 70? I'm 66 and have about 95% I think..

Edit: Damn you and your stealth edits. -_-
I probably stealth edit every single one of my posts at least 3 times :lol

My proof-reading is done after I click submit, and not before. Being first is more important than being 100% perfect, damnit!
Meus Renaissance said:
Because it's the only decent 3rd perk outside Commando - which you don't need in open maps.
Ninja Pro?!

Scrambler Pro = "Hey enemy team, I'm coming for you, pay attention. Your radar is all scrambly, you can tell exactly where I am and this perk is making me easier to find, not harder." The only redeeming feature of it is the Pro part, which to me doesn't at all make the first part worth it.

Meus Renaissance said:
Try this guys:

FAMAS
Stopping Power Pro
Scrambler Pro

Replace Scrambler Pro with Ninja Pro and I would agree with you that, yes that build is nasty (however, FMJ is pretty much useless on Wasteland because you're not really going to be shooting through many walls now are you?). Ninja Pro is particularly useful on Wasteland due to the amount of people that use the HBS on that map.

Meus Renaissance said:

I agree with Qub. Ninja Pro is waaaaaaaay more useful than Scrambler would ever be largely because Scrambler alerts the enemy to your presences. So in a way, it's actually working against you.

F#A#Oo

Banned
They should have made the MP % value be 10% per prestige!

I'm on the 2nd prestige and seeing 200% odd percent is weird and stupid. If I saw 20% odd I would be like shit! I haven't made much progress at all...:lol

backflip10019 said:
Replace Scrambler Pro with Ninja Pro and I would agree with you that, yes that build is nasty (however, FMJ is pretty much useless on Wasteland because you're not really going to be shooting through many walls now are you?). Ninja Pro is particularly useful on Wasteland due to the amount of people that use the HBS on that map.

Almost my exact class, but you don't need FMJ on the FAMAS. I use Ninja Pro, and occasionally will switch out Bling Pro with Marathon Pro to get the early flank (and I'll opt for the silencer over the sites)

Meus Renaissance said:

I would take SitRep over Scrambler any day. SitRep gives you anti-claymore abilities as well, and doesn't broadcast your position to everyone around you. But I would take Ninja over both of those

Steady Aim Pro if you're using SMGs or Sniper Rifles. Commando Pro on tight maps. Ninja Pro all other times.

RavenFox

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
Try this guys:

FAMAS
Stopping Power Pro
Scrambler Pro

Love fragging opponents that use scrambler. Pretty much saying here I come around the corner or I'm hiding just behind that wall or bush.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
divisionbyzorro said:
Steady Aim Pro if you're using SMGs or Sniper Rifles. Commando Pro on tight maps. Ninja Pro all other times.

And shotguns. *cough*

RubxQub said:
I probably stealth edit every single one of my posts at least 3 times :lol

My proof-reading is done after I click submit, and not before. Being first is more important than being 100% perfect, damnit!

Ninja Pro?!

Scrambler Pro = "Hey enemy team, I'm coming for you, pay attention. Your radar is all scrambly, you can tell exactly where I am and this perk is making me easier to find, not harder." The only redeeming feature of it is the Pro part, which to me doesn't at all make the first part worth it.

But Ninja Pro only works for Heart Beat sensors. Does SiteRep cover you on enemy radar or something? I need someone to mask me dammit! :lol

P.S. I thought FMJ caused a bit more damage as well to an enemy? I rarely use it on a wall

RavenFox

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
But Ninja Pro only works for Heart Beat sensors. Does SiteRep cover you on enemy radar or something? I need someone to mask me dammit! :lol
and silences your noisy ass boots. pay attention to the thread.

Yes FMJ increases damage by a notch.

Meus Renaissance said:

P.S. I thought FMJ caused a bit more damage as well to an enemy? I rarely use it on a wall

Ninja Pro also causes your footsteps to be silent. Scrambler doesn't mask your presence; it loudly announces it. Unless everybody on your team has Scrambler, it's mostly worthless. (I would love to field a full 9-man team in Ground War TDM on Favela where everyone had Scrambler - that would be incredibly amazing).

FMJ does nothing if you don't shoot through a wall. It's the equivalent of the Deep Impact perk from prior games. This has been proven dozens of times.

RubxQub

Let's just say that anyone NOT using Ninja Pro is NEVER going to catch me off-guard unless they are far away.

There are so many times I get accused of camping...but in reality I'm just hearing the person coming and fall back into advantageous positioning because I know they are coming...so why wouldn't I kill them from an angle they aren't anticipating?

Ninja Pro does way more to conceal your location than Scrambler Pro could ever do. Hell, I'd argue using Cold-Blooded + a silencer would accomplish what you're talking about 10000 times better than Scrambler Pro would.

As mentioned before, Scrambler in general works against you, not help you. I know you're there because you're putzing with my radar.

RubxQub

Meus Renaissance said:
Yeah but for a large ass map that is generally open e.g. Wasteland, footsteps are irrelevant anyway.
Not at all.

I can tell when someone is about to round one of the corners simply by hearing their footsteps, and whether they are coming around the corner directly or are moving further off the edge to get a better vantage point.

Anyone wearing a headset should be able to peg where anyone is around them if they can hear the footsteps.

Hell...I've found people even with Ninja Pro because they still make rustling sounds when going through trees and bushes.

Sound is so freaking important in FPS games.

Meus Renaissance said:
Try this guys:

FAMAS
Stopping Power Pro
Scrambler Pro

you don't need fmj on the famas

Meus Renaissance said:
Yeah but for a large ass map that is generally open e.g. Wasteland, footsteps are irrelevant anyway.

I would rather have SitRep Pro to be able to hear enemy footsteps easier rather than have Scrambler Pro.

I could see Scrambler being useful on Wasteland if you're planning on hanging out in the murder caves. Everybody automatically assumes someone is in there anyway, so you're not really giving out any new information by scrambling their radar.

RubxQub said:
Sound is so freaking important in FPS games.

Every time you post, you make me want to buy a real headset. But I have no idea how I'd string the cables across the living room without the wife going crazy.

RubxQub

divisionbyzorro said:
Every time you post, you make me want to buy a real headset. But I have no idea how I'd string the cables across the living room without the wife going crazy.
I actually use the Turtle Beach X41's, which are RF Wireless. Pretty hefty entry price, but the wireless isn't an issue at all, and the sound is actually better than other headsets I've used.

They sell X31's which aren't 5.1, but still are wireless as well if you want to hop in for a bit cheaper.

RubxQub said:
I actually use the Turtle Beach X41's, which are RF Wireless. Pretty hefty entry price, but the wireless isn't an issue at all, and the sound is actually better than other headsets I've used.

They sell X31's which aren't 5.1, but still are wireless as well if you want to hop in for a bit cheaper.

My birthday is coming up...man those look sooooo nice.

KittyKittyBangBang said:
I agree that the 3rd Perk slot options suck, but I have gotten a suprising amount of Last Stand kills lately

It's not so much that 3rd Slot Perks suck, but more that they're all very niche and situational. I tend to prefer either Steady Aim or Ninja, just because they tend to be the most useful in more situations.

RubxQub said:

I use the Turtle Beach X41's as well! I initially got them because I live in a small apartment with a baby and wife, but now I can't play without them even if my wife and kid aren't around. They sound amazing and you can pinpoint sounds extremely effectively. Using these headphones and sitting close enough to the TV where I have no outside periphery, it makes for an incredibly engaging experience, but im sure is pretty unhealthy on my ear eye bones.

divisionbyzorro said:
I would rather have SitRep Pro to be able to hear enemy footsteps easier rather than have Scrambler Pro.

I could see Scrambler being useful on Wasteland if you're planning on hanging out in the murder caves. Everybody automatically assumes someone is in there anyway, so you're not really giving out any new information by scrambling their radar.

Agreed, whenever I play this map on TDM its all about the killbox, Hell I have a noob toob class just for this map.

This map sucks on TDM but is pretty good on Domination

Meier

Think I am going to go back to Stopping Power instead of Cold Blooded on my sniper. I hate not killing people with one shot. It makes the class feel useless basically.. there's very little opportunity to get a second shot off immediately without them hiding so if you don't get them with a headshot, you're fucked basically.

RubxQub

divisionbyzorro said:
It's not so much that 3rd Slot Perks suck, but more that they're all very niche and situational. I tend to prefer either Steady Aim or Ninja, just because they tend to be the most useful in more situations.
Pretty sure I made a lengthy post about this, but I feel like the 3rd slot perks are all pretty lame in comparison to the first 2 slots. For the first two slots, I genuinely miss not having the other perks. I always feel like I'm missing something from my build.

For the last slot (for me personally), there isn't even an option. Ninja Pro. Done.

I'm not a sniper. I don't hip fire. I'm never using a shotgun from a range that would benefit from steady aim (and use grips on the shotguns to help out in this regard). I don't die often enough to equipment to require avoiding them. I don't like how hit or miss Last Stand can be (I'm almost always getting killed from behind by other folks with Ninja Pro or respawn bullshit, which makes this useless to me anyways).

I just feel like the 3rd slot isn't really a hard decision, while the first 2 slots I'm constantly toying with to see how I like certain combos.

no falling damage on Commando pro is pretty awesome on favela, underpants, quarry, and terminal (which makes bailing out the terminal window effective when you're taking damage)

I wish I had used the pres. 10 glitch. I really need my create a class slots and after pres. twice, Im done with it.

So far I have some basic build for each map, generally these builds destroy people on them..

The Toob/Scavenger/RPG/Danger Close Class gets a work out on...
Terminal, Rust, Scrapyard, and Highrise

The Speedy class with the Ump and Tact Knife get a work out on...
Favela, Derail, Underpass, Invasion, Run Down

The basic class which is the Scavenger/Stopping Power/Commando SCAR or RPD class..
Quarry, Afghan, Skid Row, Estate, Rundown

For Wasteland and sometimes Underpass, Estate, Rundown or Derail I bring out the Cold Blooded Ninja Silenced Scar.

All Classes besides my Bomber Class and Speed class use Claymores and a Stinger.
I never use Bling and only use iron sights, so Ill eithier use FMJ but mostly with rock a toob.
Those people who also say "Commando is a CQC perk" I guess are right, but my self I enjoy the ability to jump off of 3 story roofs or out windows from 0 fall dmg.

RubxQub

MrCompletely said:
no falling damage on Commando pro is pretty awesome on favela, underpants, quarry, and terminal (which makes bailing out the terminal window effective when you're taking damage)
True story, I just can't handle making so much noise with my footsteps.

Whenever I experiment with a build that doesn't use Ninja Pro...no joke, I sometimes flip out because I hear footsteps and can't find the person...only to realize I'm only hearing myself. :lol

MrCompletely said:

Yeah that stuff is pretty legit!

Though with my M4 I still wear steady aim

Commando rules. Usually a must for a runner. Unless you don't want to make noise. Then Ninja is a must. Unless you want more accuracy with your shotgun/submachinegun. Then Steady Aim is a must.

RubxQub said:
Pretty sure I made a lengthy post about this, but I feel like the 3rd slot perks are all pretty lame in comparison to the first 2 slots. For the first two slots, I genuinely miss not having the other perks. I always feel like I'm missing something from my build.

For the last slot (for me personally), there isn't even an option. Ninja Pro. Done.

I'm not a sniper. I don't hip fire. I'm never using a shotgun from a range that would benefit from steady aim (and use grips on the shotguns to help out in this regard). I don't die often enough to equipment to require avoiding them. I don't like how hit or miss Last Stand can be (I'm almost always getting killed from behind by other folks with Ninja Pro or respawn bullshit, which makes this useless to me anyways).

I just feel like the 3rd slot isn't really a hard decision, while the first 2 slots I'm constantly toying with to see how I like certain combos.

The 1st slot is made up of perks that (with the exception of Marathon) help you with your ammo problems. Sleight of Hand, Scavenger, Bling (+ Extended Mags), and One Man Army are all designed to help you deal with your current ammo situation in different ways. They're all in the same slot so you can't double up on them because that would be too powerful.

The 2nd slot is made up of perks that (with the exception of Lightweight) are meant to help you kill easier. Stopping Power, Danger Close, Hardline, and even Cold-Blooded all help in different ways. Again, they're powerful perks that would be overpowered if paired with each other.

The 3rd slot is made up of perks that were fun to have, but couldn't exist in the 1st or 2nd because they would literally never get picked. They're niche; kinda nice, but you would immediately dismiss them all if they weren't in their own category.

Marathon and Lightweight are the oddballs here. IW clearly wanted you to be able to pair them together, and obviously this combo would be ridiculous if you could add a red perk on top of this. I'm guessing Lightweight is a red perk so that you could pair it with Sleight of Hand Pro if you wanted (for fast ADS in all situations).

I just think that Sleight of Hand is the biggest missed opportunity with regards to its pro version. It should have been "switch weapons faster," which would have made it my favorite perk of them all.

MrCompletely said:

Your freudian slip is showing.

RickA238

After prestiging the first time and regaining all attachments, I found that FMJ makes a big difference on the FAMAS. I mained the FAMAS both before and after prestiging; I missed out on at least 50 kills that I would have gotten if I had FMJ equipped after prestiging, and another ~50 from the lack of bullet penetration.

With FMJ on the FAMAS you can almost alway kill someone in a single burst; single burst kills are unlikely without FMJ. The tiny bit of added damage makes a huge difference. Keep in mind that the added damage is effectively multiplied the number of bullet hits.

Also, Ninja Pro is the best third perk, hands down. On all but the biggest maps like wasteland, I miss out on several kills each game without it.

Top Bottom