• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

For 3rd slot perks, aside from my Ninja/Cold Blooded Silenced class, Commando is effective on EVERY MAP

First you can jump off of anything at anytime anyweres (Well not off the side of Highrise or the back of Afghan of course)
Secondly the game consist of 2 god weapons...shotguns and knifes.
AR's, LMG's, and Subs all will do there job pretty much as good as the next guy, but with the range and power of the shotties as well as the Matrix Knife Slide of Commando you can run into a room kill 3-4 guys and leave with a little Starwberry jam on the screen.

I cant count the times Ive been 10 feet 2 guys and with 2 clicks Ive teleported kinfed them both. Or the times Ive been chasing him unnoticed with a 10-15 foot gap between us and with a click Ive sprung forward and knifed him, far better then shooting my gun and becoming a dot..and then theres always the chance mid-shot he will turn a corner.

If you can incorporate a Shotty/Commando combo into your build life is much easier since basic gun fire is simple and at times inconsistent.

Alright I'm not sure if I posted this already, I feel like I may have, but I wish Infinity Ward would've made it so that if you are stunned or flashed your non shooting hand goes over your face to partially obscure the view. The character models do it, but not in first person mode, so wtf? Either that or you should not be able to go into ADS when you are.

Also if they wanted to make scrambler a little more useful they could've just made the the radar glitch in and out randomly rather than get more and more scrambled as they get close to you.

Lionheart1827 said:
... if you are stunned or flashed your non shooting hand goes over your face to partially obscure the view. The character models do it, but not in first person mode, so wtf?

Agh! Game ruined! I will think about this every time I play now :lol

I use the Astro Gaming A40 mixamp and Audio Technica AD700s. I can pinpoint the location of every footstep around me. I always laugh when some Scrambler buffoon comes near and I both hear his footsteps behind me and know he's on the other team because of the Scrambler. Then I just sit and wait with my sights pointing toward the corner he's about to pop out of. :lol

mr_boo

Since I've been really digging my OMA build Danger Close + Grenade Attachment (now I actually enjoy maps like Quarry, Karachi, Derail and Rundown), I was thinking of modifying it a bit and going with Scavenger + Danger Close + Grenade Attachment + Thumper. Testing the Thumper out in a private match, it seems a bit awkward to use - got any tips or critiques on the Thumper?

todahawk

GodofWine said:
Thats cool..cause when I wrote it, I thought of :
zoolander-mugatu-crazy-pills.jpg

and even typed it with his voice in mind.

Back to my main question...can private games have open mics (talk to enemy?)

LOL, I had that image first but thought the pick of D-rock was a better fit.

mr_boo said:
Since I've been really digging my OMA build Danger Close + Grenade Attachment (now I actually enjoy maps like Quarry, Karachi, Derail and Rundown), I was thinking of modifying it a bit and going with Scavenger + Danger Close + Grenade Attachment + Thumper. Testing the Thumper out in a private match, it seems a bit awkward to use - got any tips or critiques on the Thumper?

I still can't use the Thumper right...it doesn't fire like the grenade launchers, and I always seem to miss with it. I guess it's really just all about practice.

divisionbyzorro said:
I still can't use the Thumper right...it doesn't fire like the grenade launchers, and I always seem to miss with it. I guess it's really just all about practice.
It's a piss-poor medium range weapon. I only tend to use it in Wasteland where I can fire it from a distance, often times into a tunnel.
I imagine they gave it that awful delay before firing to keep it from being just another two shots from the noob tube, and that effectively made it the least-used of my secondary weapons.

mr_boo said:

Think of the round being a lot heavier than with the toob, you need to arc the thumper more, give the round more height over the same distance as the toob

DeuceMojo said:
It's a piss-poor medium range weapon. I only tend to use it in Wasteland where I can fire it from a distance, often times into a tunnel.
I imagine they gave it that awful delay before firing to keep it from being just another two shots from the noob tube, and that effectively made it the least-used of my secondary weapons.

Yes, the delay is absurd. It seems only useful as a siege weapon; like, say, for clearing out headquarters. But if your goal is lots of grenades, choosing OMA over the Thumper is really a no-brainer.

mr_boo

DeuceMojo said:
That does have a logical sense to it - if the Thumper were more aligned with the Grenade Launcher attachment, it would be a bit too cheap. FYI, I just discovered a couple of mins ago that Noob Tube = Grenade Launcher Attachment. All this time I thought Noob Tube was HBS (i.e., a small monitor to detect noobs) - lol.

I guess I'll have to experiment with the Thumper in some real games to see if I can hang with it.

Minamu

Just my luck. I'm still trying to max out SitRep & was going for mini-uzi fmj kills & OF COURSE, the match ends when I have 39/40 :lol Did get about 15 penetration kills on scrapyard though. Pretty good for me.

aku:jiki

mr_boo said:
All this time I thought Noob Tube was HBS (i.e., a small monitor to detect noobs) - lol.
:lol

Aw man, that's exactly what the HBS was for me in a match today. We were on Rundown and I was going to take B, but knew they were spawning around there. Caught one guy with the SPAS around the containers and saw a ghillie suit jumping around like an idiot in the trainyard. He didn't see me so I ran to the little wall right by the entrance to the trainyard and crouched and waited.

Two seconds later, the ghillie runs right for me and shoots me dead in the face before I can react. As I'm rocking cold-blooded, ninja and made sure he didn't see me, I was like "WTF?!?!?" when I saw the killcam and he got me with the HBS. Because some noob saw me and my plan and was crouching right up my ass when I was hiding by the wall. :(

aku:jiki said:
Two seconds later, the ghillie runs right for me and shoots me dead in the face before I can react. As I'm rocking cold-blooded, ninja and made sure he didn't see me, I was like "WTF?!?!?" when I saw the killcam and he got me with the HBS. Because some noob saw me and my plan and was crouching right up my ass when I was hiding by the wall. :(
wat

winnarps

Scarecrow said:
Crap, so FMJ doesn't increase damage? I've been wasting an upgrade this whole time :(

It only helps bullet penetration through walls/objects. It does not increase regular bullet damage.

Yeef

Meier said:
Think I am going to go back to Stopping Power instead of Cold Blooded on my sniper. I hate not killing people with one shot. It makes the class feel useless basically.. there's very little opportunity to get a second shot off immediately without them hiding so if you don't get them with a headshot, you're fucked basically.
As long as you're using a silencer killing people with one shot with any sniper is easy. Barring that, with everything but the intervention you can double tap to get two shots off before recoil kicks in so that you kill the guy anyway even with a silencer.

I love the thermal scopes, but I sort of wish you could switch it off and on. With everything black and white it's hard to make out people with cold-blooded on some maps even when they're standing in plain sight.

The Lamonster said:
On the weapon lines, the damage increases a bit when you add FMJ...

The "weapon lines" mean nothing. Trust me.

Does anyone have a link to the actual manual for the game? I've never actually read it and I'm kinda curious to do so.

Mikey Jr.

Played this game for awhile on the PS3 and loved it. Picked it up for the 360 as my friends are there and got live. One thing that bothers me compared to the PS3 version.

It takes SO FUCKING LONG to get into a match compared to the PS3 version. With PS3 I had a full group within 10 seconds. In the 360 version, it takes minutes, even longer. The hell is going on?

RickA238 said:
False.

I can guarantee that FMJ increases unshielded damage, at least with the FAMAS. Source: I have over 1000 FAMAS kills without FMJ, over 1500 FAMAS kills with FMJ. It makes a very significant difference.

It's all in your head, bro :)

EDIT: Here is a preview of where this conversation goes when people lose their heads. :lol
http://forums.modernwarfare247.com/index.php?/topic/8894-does-fmj-increase-bullet-damage/

EDIT 2: Weapon Damage Charts
http://denkirson.xanga.com/715966769/modern-warfare-2/

winnarps

RickA238 said:
False.

I can guarantee that FMJ increases unshielded damage, at least with the FAMAS. Source: I have over 1000 FAMAS kills without FMJ, over 1500 FAMAS kills with FMJ. It makes a very significant difference.

^^

It's been proven by many others. FMJ does not increase regular bullet damage (direct fire hits).

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
It's kind of crazy...I still can't tell what the deal with FMJ is after reading all the charts and counter-arguments.

Sounds like some people have tested in game and FMJ did indeed do something, while others just keep linking to the damage charts.

...I guess I'll just test this for myself and see what the fuck is going on :lol

RubxQub said:
It's kind of crazy...I still can't tell what the deal with FMJ is after reading all the charts and counter-arguments.

Sounds like some people have tested in game and FMJ did indeed do something, while others just keep linking to the damage charts.

...I guess I'll just test this for myself and see what the fuck is going on :lol

Personally, I'm just annoyed that we as a community have always had to figure these things out for ourselves. I see no reason why IW couldn't have given us the actual damage charts, multipliers, etc. It sure would have saved a lot of trouble.

RubxQub said:

I think a lot of this is hearsay -- the charts too.

Here's some reasoning:

1) The game itself says FMJ increases damage. Logic says that:

2) If a target is behind cover he will take more damage, because damage is increased whether or not he's behind cover.

Simple enough? I say we tweet Bowling on this.

RubxQub

divisionbyzorro said:
Personally, I'm just annoyed that we as a community has always had to figure these things out for ourselves. I see no reason why IW couldn't have given us the actual damage charts, multipliers, etc. It sure would have saved a lot of trouble.
Agreed...and what's the design decision of actually showing changes to the in game weapon charts when adding things like an ACOG sight, a silencer or an FMJ? Why do anything at all if that isn't really how it works?

I never played CoD4, but apparently this shit has been going on since then? What the eff? :lol

I'll see if I can test this tonight and report back in with DEFINITIVE PROOF!!!

divisionbyzorro said:
Personally, I'm just annoyed that we as a community have always had to figure these things out for ourselves. I see no reason why IW couldn't have given us the actual damage charts, multipliers, etc. It sure would have saved a lot of trouble.
Zorro, I'm not down with this. If you publish everything, give the nuts-and-bolts data for every last part of a game, you tarnish its mystique. Seriously.

We all know that the P90 and the Mini uzi are virtually identical stats-wise (in-game), but what is there behind the scenes that makes the Uzi somehow superior? What is it about the AK-47 that makes me think it's the assault rifle of choice? I don't really want to know. :lol

100% sure it does too in the 8 hours I played online, I was using a burst pistol without stopping power and then after an hour or so stuck stopping power on, I was doing greater damage in a noticeable manner.

SMG's have quite a great improvement too. I didn't use it too much though as I prefer going all stealth from air attacks, invisible to radar with silencers and heartbeat etc, so many people I played in team DM rely on those things that you can easily kill someone from behind in a bush and their team mates are struck dumb.

Diablohead said:
100% sure it does too in the 8 hours I played online, I was using a burst pistol without stopping power and then after an hour or so stuck stopping power on, I was doing greater damage in a noticeable manner.

SMG's have quite a great improvement too.
Yeouch, I hope you mean FMJ. Don't think there's an argument over stopping power.

RubxQub

DeuceMojo said:
Yeouch, I hope you mean FMJ. Don't think there's an argument over stopping power.
If stopping power didn't add any damage it'd be the greatest joke ever pulled on anyone :lol

DeuceMojo said:
ah should have read more of the page before replying :lol

FMJ was something I only used often on a sniper, cousin saying that without it most shots won't be 1 hitters from the bolt action sniper.

RubxQub

OK seriously...why are there no videos on YT about the FMJ damage myth.

SUBMIT THIS TO THE MYTHBUSTERS!!!

Diablohead said:
FMJ was something I only used often on a sniper, cousin saying that without it most shots won't be 1 hitters from the bolt action sniper.
I'd like to see some data on this too, like the actual damage, measured in the field of sniper rifles w/ and w/o FMJ in the open.

RubxQub

DeuceMojo said:
I'd like to see some data on this too, like the actual damage, measured in the field of sniper rifles w/ and w/o FMJ in the open.
I'm going to do my best to create a controlled experiment to try and prove whether or not FMJ adds any damage at all, through walls or not.

Assuming I find something conclusive, perhaps I'll make a simple YT video and become a trillionare.

Lince

Banned
so in the case you have two enemies lined up and you fire just one single bullet that penetrates, what's the inflicted damage difference to the enemy behind with and without FMJ? I'm talking regular assault rifles, not snipers.

RubxQub

Lince said:
so in the case you have two enemies lined up and you fire just one single bullet that penetrates, what's the inflicted damage difference to the enemy behind with and without FMJ? I'm talking regular assault rifles, not snipers.
FUUUUUUUUUCK! :lol

RickA238

All I know is that with FMJ on the FAMAS, paired with Stopping Power, I get a ton of single burst kills on each map I play. When beginning my most recent prestige, I rarely got single burst kills with the FAMAS and stopping power. I have tried playing without FMJ on the FAMAS more recently, experiencing the same effect.

The bottom line is that without FMJ, I get ~5 kills less each map, without even counting all the bullet penetration kills I get (I seem to get the most BP kills at least every other match). IMO it turns the FAMAS from a middling weapon to the best weapon in the game.

It comes down to your individual testimonial, if FMJ works for you, you should use it. Even without the added damage, I would still use FMJ because of all the BP kills I rack up. Furthermore, I don't trust the files that some hacker supposed hacked out the the game code. The files could just as easily have been fabricated. I trust my own experience of 4+ days played in MP.

Lince

Banned
RubxQub said:
FUUUUUUUUUCK! :lol

I know, but I used to position myself aiming directly at choke points such as the end of the corridor in Skidrow B domination flag (near the stairs which lead to the tunnel connecting B & A). Using the ACR+FMJ and spraying in the direction of the flag I got a lot of double kills with FMJ, not the case with regular ammo, so I supposed the difference was huge.

Neverfade

Lince said:
I know, but I used to position myself aiming directly at choke points such as the end of the corridor in Skidrow B domination flag (near the stairs which lead to the tunnel connecting B & A). Using the ACR+FMJ and spraying in the direction of the flag I got a lot of double kills with FMJ, not the case with regular ammo, so I supposed the difference was huge.

I do this all the time and I never use FMJ.

Anecdotal wars!

beast786

RubxQub said:
I'm going to do my best to create a controlled experiment to try and prove whether or not FMJ adds any damage at all, through walls or not.

Assuming I find something conclusive, perhaps I'll make a simple YT video and become a trillionare.

FMJ for sure makes a big difference on 1887.

Lince said:
It probably doesn't make too much difference, as people are one of the weakest surfaces in the game.

beast786 said:
FMJ for sure makes a big difference on 1887.
I could see FMJ working for the 1887 and here's why:
I get f'ing dropped all the time by people as I'm strafing behind cover or just straight running behind cover. Half the time, if they're pursuing me, that last shot will probably penetrate the corner I'm disappearing behind and put me down. I know you've seen both sides of this. I think it works especially well with an 1887 because so much of its spread is seemingly lost when you're shooting at someone who is taking cover, but instead now the bullets are penetrating that wall or whatever and doing damage.

Top Bottom