• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
greenjerk said:
I keep trying it but I just don't feel comfortable with it. I mastered the P90 and just love it but all the stats look better on the UMP. I just don't do as well with it though.
The UMP is pretty terrible without a sight, because the entire gun takes up the bottom of your screen when you look down the sights. If I put a sight on it that means I can't use a silencer unless I take Bling...which means I'm not using Marathon...which kind of defeats the purpose of a sprinter class...

I'm getting used to the UMP without a sight, but I can't aim that thing worth a damn anywhere beyond 30 yards.

Aspiring said:
I never had any idea this game had local multiplayer! I thought it was only co-op! Amazing. 4 of us spent the last 5 hours playing non stop deathmatch! For all this online love nothing beats good local MP. So much fun!

Just a question. How do you connect a PS3 up via system link? We want to try and setup 2 PS3's and 2 TV's. Is it a special cable or does an ethernet cable work? Also can you play 2 players per TV? You know like 2 on one TV and 2 on the other so we can still play 4 players, but Team Deathmatch?

Does the game even support LAN play?

Thanks!

Spilt-screen co-op in shooters will never be as good as online, simply because everybody is always aware of exactly where other people are, due to screen-watching.

So I know this question gets tossed around a lot, but what killstreak setups do you guys like to use? I find myself constantly switching them around unless I'm going for a particular challenge, although I find certain killstreaks to be entirely useless.

Very Useful:
UAV/Jammer - Reliable, easy to get, and give a huge tactical advantage
Care Package - Also pretty easy to get. Loads of fun and can easily turn the tide of battle with a lucky drop
Predator Missile - Usually a guaranteed kill or two; fantastic for advancing to higher streaks.
Pave Low - As tough to shoot down as the Apache, and you can keep running around the map while it does its business. Easier to earn than the Apache as well.

Useful:
Sentry Gun - Takes time to set up, but when properly placed it does wonders in objective modes.
Harrier - Usually gets shot down pretty quickly, but it's relatively simple to get and can build huge streaks. Almost always gets 1-2 kills.
AC-130/Apache - High risk/reward. Can absolutely clean up against teams that don't bother to shoot them down.
Emergency Air Drop - Somewhat of a pain to manage, but the barrage of killstreaks can quickly shut down the other team

Not Useful:
Precision Airstrike: Unless a UAV is up, it's too difficult to properly aim this bonus. If it lasted longer it might be worth it.
Stealth Bomber: Same as the airstrike. Slightly more useful since it hits a larger area, but still very difficult to aim.
EMP: Too difficult to earn and doesn't last long enough.
Nuke: Sure, you can instantly win the game, but how often does that happen? You'd do better to put a different bonus in your lineup that you could use more often.

Horrible:
Attack Helicopter: Almost never gets any kills. Almost always gets immediately shot down. Utter crap.

winnarps

NarcissisticJay said:
Going to conduct the experiment of only using one gun for an entire prestige and see what it does to my overall stats in both wins and k/d.

I’m a sucker for silly/fun ways to kill people.. and then after my stats start to dip I go back to a class Im solid with climb to something good. Rinse, Repeat.

Gonna roll the M4A1 for an entire prestige and see the effect of getting to know a gun.

I did the same for a whole prestige. It gets boring at times, but my k/d went up .25.

Now I'm back to swapping through different setups. I realized that k/d isn't as important as everyone makes it out to be. I've held my own against people with 2.0+ k/ds (who always seem to camp and never go for objectives).

todahawk

FromTheFuture said:
Does your name not show up to teammates as well? Doesn't really make sense if it affects that.

I haven't tested it but with the amount of friendly fire i got after hitting Pro I assumed so. Could've been noobs just shooting at everyone.

You gonna be on this weekend for some Spec Ops or multiplayer? I have my mic charged up and I'm itching to play.

Meier

RubxQub said:
...I just wish I rolled with them from the start. My W/L is just over 1.00 because I played solo for for 2/3rds of my career in this game.
Sadly I have only played about 10 games with my 2 buddies. All the rest have been with joe schmoes so the fact I've crept up over 1 made me pretty excited.

greenjerk said:
I haven't tested it but with the amount of friendly fire i got after hitting Pro I assumed so. Could've been noobs just shooting at everyone.

You gonna be on this weekend for some Spec Ops or multiplayer? I have my mic charged up and I'm itching to play.
Yeah, definitely! I'm on every day, which is not exactly a good thing, but I'm always game. I look for you often but lately I haven't seen you on when I'm on. Just send me a message because most of the time I neglect my friends list when I'm playing.

Also I haven't really played many of the spec ops at all so if you wanted to tackle that I'll definitely be down for it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ben2749 said:
Does FMJ increase range? That's the first I've heard of it. If that's true, then I guess it's a pretty tough decision between Bling and Marathon. Guess I would go for Bling after all.

FMJ isn't supposed to increase the range on the 1887, but it... does. That's why everyone and their mother that wants the old godly/hilarious funtime 1887 (with all the QQ about it) blings it. Because the range DOES return with blinged Akimbo + FMJ.

Yeah, stopping power may help a bit, but that isn't the point. The point of the patch was to nerf the range to where it wasn't throwing a shotgun down a long hallway (so to speak) in catching people with them.

DivisionbyZorro said:
Not Useful:
Precision Airstrike: Unless a UAV is up, it's too difficult to properly aim this bonus. If it lasted longer it might be worth it.
Stealth Bomber: Same as the airstrike. Slightly more useful since it hits a larger area, but still very difficult to aim.

Disagree. Yeah, you may need a UAV online to make the best of them. But if playing objectives with two points and one of them is outside (like S&D, Domination) throw down a Stealth Bomber/Airstrike. If idiots that don't see the anouncement don't fucking move, you'll mow down the enemy team. Hilarious to do in S&D if you're the last one alive and saving your Airstrike knowing the other team will go to that point and arm it.

todahawk

FromTheFuture said:
Yeah, definitely! I'm on every day, which is not exactly a good thing, but I'm always game. I look for you often but lately I haven't seen you on when I'm on. Just send me a message because most of the time I neglect my friends list when I'm playing.

Also I haven't really played many of the spec ops at all so if you wanted to tackle that I'll definitely be down for it.

Yeah, unfortunately work has been an absolute bitch lately. I haven't had a chance to play nearly as much as I want (or need) to.

I'll be sure to send you a message.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
TheSeks said:
Disagree. Yeah, you may need a UAV online to make the best of them. But if playing objectives with two points and one of them is outside (like S&D, Domination) throw down a Stealth Bomber/Airstrike. If idiots that don't see the anouncement don't fucking move, you'll mow down the enemy team. Hilarious to do in S&D if you're the last one alive and saving your Airstrike knowing the other team will go to that point and arm it.
How is a Stealth Bomber ever better than a Pavelow, though?

A stealth bomber will get you...what...maybe 1-3 kills on average? That Pavelow's average has got to be something like 3-5...with the potential to be anywhere from 5-15.

You'll never get 5-15 kills with a Stealth Bomber, so I never understand the mentality behind picking it.

winnarps

divisionbyzorro said:
More grist for the rumour mill. I've been saying that WoCoD, or Call of Duty: Online, or whatever you want to call it, is inevitable at this point:

http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-infinity-ward-developing-an-mmo-159813.phtml

Best comment: "Don't MMOs require dedicated servers?" :lol

The CoD level/unlock system is already pretty close to the leveling grind of an MMO.

Imagine buying new weapons, perks, equipment, etc. through a persistent world.

Different training scenarios, run co-op missions with squads (instanced PvE), objective/deathmatch gametypes (instanced PvP). I have no idea how they'd handle the overworld aspect though.

TheSeks

RubxQub said:
How is a Stealth Bomber ever better than a Pavelow, though?

Stealth Bomber can't be shot down + No UAV detection.

Stealth Bomber is the opposite of a Pavelow. It's meant for DEFENSIVE play. If you're going for ZOMG MORE KILLSTREAK REWARDS FROM MINE, you're playing the Bomber/Airstrike WRONG.

Airstrike/Bombers are better for defending points. Yes, you may not get kills (unless the other team is idiots) but that's not the point. Airstriking a point = a few more seconds for your team to come around and defend the point/kill people. If you kill other people, yeah cool. You helped defend. It's more an aggressive "hey, get out of here" defense than offense.

Edit: This isn't to say "ZOMG THIS IS BETTER THAN A PAVELOW" because, if you're going for kills guranteed... it isn't. I'll agree. But to say it isn't useful is plain wrong. It's useful to get airstrikes/bomber and hold them for objective defense/clearing out in objective modes.

To say they're "not useful" is wrong.

selig

Banned
question:

i beat the singleplayer on highest difficulty, and the only difference was that i died from less hits...which wasnt really any more difficult. is mw2 considered "hardcore" in terms of difficulty, or is it just an easy game?

X26

Banned
selig said:
question:

i beat the singleplayer on highest difficulty, and the only difference was that i died from less hits...which wasnt really any more difficult. is mw2 considered "hardcore" in terms of difficulty, or is it just an easy game?

compared to cod4, mw2 was much, much, much easier on veteran

TheSeks said:
Stealth Bomber can't be shot down + No UAV detection.

Stealth Bomber is the opposite of a Pavelow. It's meant for DEFENSIVE play. If you're going for ZOMG MORE KILLSTREAK REWARDS FROM MINE, you're playing the Bomber/Airstrike WRONG.

Airstrike/Bombers are better for defending points. Yes, you may not get kills (unless the other team is idiots) but that's not the point. Airstriking a point = a few more seconds for your team to come around and defend the point/kill people. If you kill other people, yeah cool. You helped defend. It's more an aggressive "hey, get out of here" defense than offense.

Edit: This isn't to say "ZOMG THIS IS BETTER THAN A PAVELOW" because, if you're going for kills guranteed... it isn't. I'll agree. But to say it isn't useful is plain wrong. It's useful to get airstrikes/bomber and hold them for objective defense/clearing out in objective modes.

To say they're "not useful" is wrong.
on favela you can carpet bomb pretty much the whole map if you diagnoal across, same goes for highrise it and if you have the other pretty much respawning in the same area, well you just hit a goldmine not to mention if people are inside a building and a stealth bomber hits near them they still get shell shock and it's stronger then a harrier strike or percision airstrike.

winnarps said:
The CoD level/unlock system is already pretty close to the leveling grind of an MMO.

Imagine buying new weapons, perks, equipment, etc. through a persistent world.

Different training scenarios, run co-op missions with squads (instanced PvE), objective/deathmatch gametypes (instanced PvP). I have no idea how they'd handle the overworld aspect though.

You and I think like. I've always expected the next IW game to essentially be multiplayer (PvP) and spec-ops (PvE). The story will be told through special PvE missions. You'll earn persistent rewards from both spec-ops and multiplayer. They'll have world events and will be constantly dropping new spec-ops.

There are a few things that I see being hard to resolve. Will there be a persistent overworld? Are you really going to run around in it in first person? Third person? Can you have multiple factions with unique differences? Would you even need that?

And how will you handle gear? Part of the draw of an MMO isn't just collecting gear, it's showing that gear off. IW has been toying around with this with those titles and emblems, but that's just not good enough. You'd need to be able to customize appears beyond simple medals - but of course that doesn't work in traditional FPS multiplayer.

I guess what I have to say in all this is that you can't just take a standard MMO setup, slap it into a CoD-style FPS and call it done. It's going to take some cleverness to make it all work together. I am interested in seeing what it will be though (and you gotta believe something this will be coming down the pipe eventually).

TheSeks

practice02 said:
on favela you can carpet bomb pretty much the whole map if you diagnoal across, same goes for highrise it and if you have the other pretty much respawning in the same area, well you just hit a goldmine not to mention if people are inside a building and a stealth bomber hits near them they still get shell shock and it's stronger then a harrier strike or percision airstrike.

Well, that too. If you know the maps/alleys that people will take. You can bomb the everloving shit out of them without needing a UAV.

To say it isn't "useful" because "ZOMG I SUCK AT PLACING THEM RIGHT" is just flatout wrong. Airstrike/Bombers have their place.

lionelhutz

NarcissisticJay said:
Going to conduct the experiment of only using one gun for an entire prestige and see what it does to my overall stats in both wins and k/d.

I’m a sucker for silly/fun ways to kill people.. and then after my stats start to dip I go back to a class Im solid with climb to something good. Rinse, Repeat.

Gonna roll the M4A1 for an entire prestige and see the effect of getting to know a gun.

I'm doing this with the FAMAS. I don't find myself getting bored becuase I have a number of classes setup with different attachments. I find myself almost always ending with a positive or even K:D ratio. After the next prestige I'll probaby switch so I can unlock some other stuff.

TheSeks said:
Well, that too. If you know the maps/alleys that people will take. You can bomb the everloving shit out of them without needing a UAV.

To say it isn't "useful" because "ZOMG I SUCK AT PLACING THEM RIGHT" is just flatout wrong. Airstrike/Bombers have their place.

a) Just my opinion. Don't take it so personal. :)

b) It's a discussion of relative usefulness. I'd much rather have a Predator missile (which can see people and takes one less kill) than a Precision Airstrike. I'd much rather have an Emergency Airdrop or a Pave Low than a Stealth Bomber. They're much more useful in a wider range of situations.

divisionbyzorro said:
a) Just my opinion. Don't take it so personal. :)

b) It's a discussion of relative usefulness. I'd much rather have a Predator missile (which can see people and takes one less kill) than a Precision Airstrike. I'd much rather have an Emergency Airdrop or a Pave Low than a Stealth Bomber. They're much more useful in a wider range of situations.
I think it's dumb that to avoid internet hate we have to preface things with IMO or just my opinion isn't it implied that things are just our opinions? and even if your opinion is factually wrong doesn't still make it your opinion? (I'm not saying you are wrong Divisionbyzorro in fact i stick to the basic uav care package pred killstreak )

RSTEIN said:
Can we play a vs. match when you decide to do this :)

haha - I've been doing really well with it actually..

I've come to realize that the most overlooked attachement in the game is extended mags. My lil M4 is a roomclearer now.. :)

Im not really concerned with my K/D but more of with my quality of play. I want to see if I bring something more to the table by mastering one gun for a prestige is how I should have worded it.

mbmonk

practice02 said:
I think it's dumb that to avoid internet hate we have to preface things with IMO or just my opinion isn't it implied that things are just our opinions? and even if your opinion is factually wrong doesn't still make it your opinion? (I'm not saying you are wrong Divisionbyzorro in fact i stick to the basic uav care package pred killstreak )

So true about the opinion part. People should just make their signature "Just my opinion" so they don't have to type it every post.

Ben2749 said:
Spilt-screen co-op in shooters will never be as good as online, simply because everybody is always aware of exactly where other people are, due to screen-watching.

In other words: no camping and quick matches.

Ideal for a 'fixed setup' type FPS. Not that handy for old-scool FPS, such as Goldeneye 007 and knowing exactly where people spawned the moment they do. Needless to say, the 007-love kinda died out after I learned how to do that. :(
I miss those days. (remote mines, yaaah)

winnarps

divisionbyzorro said:
You and I think like. I've always expected the next IW game to essentially be multiplayer (PvP) and spec-ops (PvE). The story will be told through special PvE missions. You'll earn persistent rewards from both spec-ops and multiplayer. They'll have world events and will be constantly dropping new spec-ops.

There are a few things that I see being hard to resolve. Will there be a persistent overworld? Are you really going to run around in it in first person? Third person? Can you have multiple factions with unique differences? Would you even need that?

And how will you handle gear? Part of the draw of an MMO isn't just collecting gear, it's showing that gear off. IW has been toying around with this with those titles and emblems, but that's just not good enough. You'd need to be able to customize appears beyond simple medals - but of course that doesn't work in traditional FPS multiplayer.

I guess what I have to say in all this is that you can't just take a standard MMO setup, slap it into a CoD-style FPS and call it done. It's going to take some cleverness to make it all work together. I am interested in seeing what it will be though (and you gotta believe something this will be coming down the pipe eventually).

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

I could see there being two different main factions, but you get to choose your background at character creation.

Like so:

1. Choose faction: would probably be only 2 major factions.
2. Choose military background: a variety of these, each has it's own perks or familiarity with different weapons (e.g., US Special Forces, Navy SEALs, UK SF/SAS, etc.) Could also see ex-versions of these backgrounds being used for the 'bad-guy major faction', essentially as traitors/defectors.
3. Customize character appearance: height and weight can't be changed for FPS reasons.

Overworld: training camps, military bases, aircraft carriers, etc. Each have different missions tied to them.

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
So I know this question gets tossed around a lot, but what killstreak setups do you guys like to use?
I normally run Harrier/CG/Nuke now because I'm trying for those 10 nukes. After I do that, though, I'm pretty sure I'll never equip the nuke again. It's tense and feels amazing when you pull it off, but it also kills enormous parts of the fun. Can't really just relax and shoot some shit without constantly worrying about scoring that Harrier...

When I don't chase the nuke, I have a much funner setup: Predator / Harrier / Emergency Airdrop. The Predator is easy enough to earn regularly, and the Harrier will get you the EA almost guaranteed and as soon as you get to 5 you unleash fucking hell on the enemy within like 30 seconds. It's glorious! :D

I also agree with practice02 - the default UAV/Care/Pred is a lot of fun. It's also a very good relaxer for the game - it really doesn't matter that much if you die at 7 kills when your streak caps out at 5. That just means you get a new chance at a fun care package, yay! :lol

TheSeks said:
Sorry, but that's actually just wrong. Sounds like you ZOMG SUCK AT COMPARING REWARDS IN THE BIGGER PICTURE ZOMG. Let's actually compare some rewards:

A Stealth Bomber takes 9 kills and can take out 1-2 opponents - even if you don't care about the kills, I'm talking defending the perimeter. Your Bomber definitely missed all the guys that heard the stealth announcement and are still coming, and only got the noobs that stayed in the middle of the street. After that, it's clear for the smart players to charge.

Had you had a Harrier at that point, the first 2 noobs would be dead and then the smarter players would be forced to stop charging to reroute, take down the Harrier or be killed by it. And a Harrier takes 7 kills to earn. Again, a Stealth Bomber at 9 is just clearly inferior and in my mind, there are no arguments against that. It takes more work to launch, but provides inferior results.

As for the Precision Airstrike, I'd say a Predator does the exact same job much better. That job would be taking out the cluster that's heading for your flag, of course, except with the Predator you will see exactly where the cluster is and can aim to hit as many of them as possible - with or without Coldblooded and so forth. The Precision Airstrike is basically a blind Predator with a slightly larger range that you can shoot where you guess the enemy cluster is coming from. It cannot show you enemies using CB (and in a good clan team, that will be like everybody), and it will show you a delayed location that is irrelevant when the strike hits and knowing where they go from there is just guesswork. Both take 5 kills so I'd say the PA is pretty clearly inferior too. (Or is PA 6? In that case the Pred wins by a mile.)

Edit: They should fix the Stealth Bomber by making it require max 7 kills, and the PA could be fixed by making it twice as fast. Make it basically instantenous and that's a useful reward right there.

If anybody wants to play on 360 and doesn't mind playing mostly TDM all the time, feel free to send me a request. Just PLEASE do not take it personally if we end up not playing that much because a lot of the times I'm already in a 6 person party with my buddies.:lol Just let me know that you're from GAF and I'll add you.

I felt bad when people added me for COD4 before MW2 came out and I hardly played with them. At the moment I'm getting geared up for Mass Effect 2 by powering through the last of my achievements in ME1 so I may or may not play that much MW2 this weekend.

EDIT: XBL - Lionheart1827

aku:jiki said:
Edit: They should fix the Stealth Bomber by making it require max 7 kills, and the PA could be fixed by making it twice as fast. Make it basically instantenous and that's a useful reward right there.

IMO, the PA fix would be to have it drop more payloads, more slowly spread out. Make it like the artillery strikes. The Stealth Bomber would be great if it had a wider spread; say, three bombers in formation. That way it'd be easier to actually hit things with it.

cameltoe

I was called a camper last night...playing FFA I managed to "camp" my way to 28-8 and 30-6...

When I hear footsteps you bet your ass I stop and wait the dude out....

At one point they all tried to get me..."hes in the green room, lets all get him, yea lets get the camper"...so they tried.....I stayed put and contiuned to light them up one at a time as they entered the room....idiots! Dude sets up a sentry outside, I flash it and him, run out and knife them both!

I may play FFA more often....those were the only 2 times I played that mode....

winnarps said:
1. Choose faction: would probably be only 2 major factions.
2. Choose military background: a variety of these, each has it's own perks or familiarity with different weapons (e.g., US Special Forces, Navy SEALs, UK SF/SAS, etc.) Could also see ex-versions of these backgrounds being used for the 'bad-guy major faction', essentially as traitors/defectors.
3. Customize character appearance: height and weight can't be changed for FPS reasons.

Overworld: training camps, military bases, aircraft carriers, etc. Each have different missions tied to them.
I was always a little surprised that character creation/customization wasn't supported whatsoever, aside from loadout and weapon camouflage.

I always liked Rainbow Six Vegas's character customization. I of course ditched R6 after MW hit the scene, but if you could modify a character's uniform w/o slowing the game down (like the dreadfully slow R6), I'd be down for it.

Aurora

Had a fun game today. I joined late and started off doing terrible with 4 back-to-back deaths, then I decided to get serious and went on a 22 kill spree without any killstreaks. I got the round winning kill and the other team was furious accusing me of hacking lol.

Ramirez said:
This video just shows how stupid Snipers and Shotguns are in this game...meh.

That video doesn't show the dozens upon dozens of times he missed trying to pull those shots off.

No-scopes will only ever show up in a montage because you can never pull them off consistently, and if you try, you will suffer for it.

Shotguns? Those are insane. I love 'em :D

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Just played on an XBL server where everyone was running around in superfast motion. I didn't know you could pay with the settings like that.

The game had my most kills / best kill/death ratio. :-(

Az

Played hardcore last night, saw a guy on with PSN SN CerialKiller so I thought it was the guy from here. Sniped him and sent him a message "believe", without response though =(

Lince

Banned
so I made my triumphant return to this game with a 24-1 but damn I guess I am too old for this game. I'm 23 but each time someone uses the mic it's always a teenager or even younger kids... :(

Lince said:
so I made my triumphant return to this game with a 24-1 but damn I guess I am too old for this game. I'm 23 but each time someone uses the mic it's always a teenager or even younger kids... :(

I'm 25...so does that make you one of the younger kids? :lol

Seriously, the hard part is accepting the fact that even though you manage to squeeze 3.5 days of playtime out between having a job, a wife, two dogs, and various other real life responsibilities, you're inevitably going to lose to the 19-year-old college student who's blowing off all of his classes to play 24/7.

Scratch that. I guess I'm okay with losing to that guy :lol

divisionbyzorro said:
Useful:
Sentry Gun - Takes time to set up, but when properly placed it does wonders in objective modes.
Harrier - Usually gets shot down pretty quickly, but it's relatively simple to get and can build huge streaks. Almost always gets 1-2 kills.
AC-130/Apache - High risk/reward. Can absolutely clean up against teams that don't bother to shoot them down.
Emergency Air Drop - Somewhat of a pain to manage, but the barrage of killstreaks can quickly shut down the other team

I would place chopper gunner in the EXTREMELY useful category. You can unfairly spawn-rape the enemy if you're in the right place at the right time. I've gotten over 10 kills in a single chopper gunner multiple times because of this, mostly on ground war.

Lince

Banned
MrCompletely said:
I would place chopper gunner in the EXTREMELY useful category. You can unfairly spawn-rape the enemy if you're in the right place at the right time.

pretty much, when playing domination I don't use my chopper immediately, I try to capture both A & B flags first and then unleash the carnage on the spawn point of C.

Dina

practice02 said:

I know stealthbombers fly across the entire map, but how to determine where they fly from. You can't, can you?

MrCompletely said:
I would place chopper gunner in the EXTREMELY useful category. You can unfairly spawn-rape the enemy if you're in the right place at the right time. I've gotten over 10 kills in a single chopper gunner multiple times because of this, mostly on ground war.

not only that, due to the spawn system it makes cold-blooded (pro) completely useless.

I hate how you can never go true ninja in team games in this game.

Top Bottom