• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Scarecrow

RubxQub said:
I can say with 100% confidence that at least 2 of us are... :lol

It was cool, though. I would have never known he was there unless he had that tag on. We should organize a day where we all play together and rock the nGAF tag to scare the shit out of our foes or something.
I'd love to do this. I'm not a savant or anything, but I can hold my own, most of the time.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
There is zero reason to use the FAL, I've found.

I originally was using it exclusively, but the amount of CQC situations you find yourself in just do not make the FAL a weapon you can use in all situations.

If you love accuracy, go with an ACR. The recoil is essentially non-existent and you can spray across a map with near perfect accuracy.

RubxQub said:
I originally was using it exclusively, but the amount of CQC situations you find yourself in just do not make the FAL a weapon you can use in all situations.

QFT.

The FAL is an assault rifle that wants to be a sniper rifle. Kinda like the F2000 is an assault rifle that wants to be an SMG.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
mYm|17| said:
hey cerrius, I just played you. :lol

I got tubed by your famas

oh wow, didn't notice there was a gaffer in there :lol

was usin my noobtube class. famas + thumper

gogogow

divisionbyzorro said:
In other words you won't notice a difference. This isn't Bayonetta (oooh - burn!).
Does the 360 version have better lighting and/or bloom effect? Whenever I check one of those funny kills videos on Youtube, the lighting and bloom really pops out. Maybe it's the
way the video was captured or the colour output is different than the PS3.

MrDaravon

Foliorum Viridum said:
Is there some sort of tag that Gaffers generally use in games? I would assume something like [GAF], but I've never seen one.

If there is, I'll use it. :)

Actually usually in pre-game lobbies I will switch my tag to the same one as someone else in the lobby. It's actually pretty funny, some people get really confused and some people get really pissed off, especially the hardcore clan kids.

Eh I've had people do that to me in Counter-Strike and it's a pretty shitty thing to do. Even if your clan is full of cool people, they'll usually react negatively to someone stealing your tag.

I've never been in a hardcore clan so it didn't piss us off too much, but it definitely seemed like a lame thing to do.

ZeroRay

gogogow said:
Does the 360 version have better lighting and/or bloom effect? Whenever I check one of those funny kills videos on Youtube, the lighting and bloom really pops out. Maybe it's the
way the video was captured or the colour output is different than the PS3.

The 360 has a more pronounced bloom effect but it's very hard to notice and I have both versions.

The color is due to the different outputs of the consoles, I have to set my color to 80 on the PS3 to get to be at the same level on the 360 at 65.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
-Mikey- said:
I'm about 10mins away from heading out to get this for PS3. Don't have a 360 and don't see a point in picking up the PC version, too busy with CS and TF2.

How does the PS3 version hold up?
Great.

It's the same game on both platforms.

gogogow

ZeroRay said:
The 360 has a more pronounced bloom effect but it's very hard to notice and I have both versions.

The color is due to the different outputs of the consoles, I have to set my color to 80 on the PS3 to get to be at the same level on the 360 at 65.
Ah i see, thanks.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
It really isn't fun when you get a bunch of super good players coming in and totally unloading on the others. even worse when they start boasting about it in the lobby. yes we get it you're fucking beasts at a computer game.

I wish there was some kind of tier system where players would only be put into matches with equals. Like some football games have divisions. you move up and down based on how you do and you know that any good players wont be in the lower divisions for too long.

I happen to be really good at PES and this division system they have lets me have challenging games as opposed to game after game of complete one sided annihilation. of course COD is all about trying to smash your opponents face in as much as possible so people relish destroying a weak opponent rather than the challenge of facing a skilled opponent.

or at least have a mode where you set a range of ranks you want to play against, with the lowest being say 10 lower than your current rank. that way you don't get rank 65s vs rank 8s.

I actually don't mind so much playing against these monstrous players individually, but they usually come in groups, and that means the stragglers are always together and then we're basically lambs to the slaughter. and I can't play mercenary mode because average me is playing in a party with my average friend.

other times I just want to relax and play some COD, I don't wanna be ultra focused and have to deal with these groups who have some hardcore strategy on how to completely dominate each map or who have superhuman habits developed through months of practice.

is that so much to ask? my gamertag says recreation ffs.

kaizoku said:
Same here. I wish Zones were actually taken into account in matchmaking every once in a while.

All in all though I'd say my matchmaking experiences have been an overall positive. There are those times though, when a serious team pops on and just lays absolute waste. Those are the times when I see Nukes as a merciful way to just end the match that much quicker.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Do we want to start wearing a tag? I roll with "USPS" right now, as it was my SSBM tag, but I'd be fine with nGAF or something.

Since there seemed to be some discussion of weapon preference a page or so ago, I'll comment.

I've gone through some phases, my first was the M16, coming off Halo 3 it was just like the BR, loved it. But, it lacks in close quarters and multi-enemy combat, so I don't use it as often anymore, but it's still nice at a distance.

ACR was next up, loved the accuracy, but I got annoyed getting hitmarkers and not getting kills, or people taking me out just because I couldn't drop them fast enough.

After doing from research I ended up with the Tar-21, it's got the highest damage output of any AR, and the lower accuracy doesn't hurt much as long as you stay away from long range automatic fire. I often use this with a silencer and OMA, to make up for the ammo consumption and give me more versatility in S and D.

Recently I've had some fun with the AUG+grip, power and long distance accuracy is a great combination if you can tolerate the iron-sight. Even if you can't there's always bling, but I like using Sleight of Hand Pro to compensate for it being an LMG.

jedimike

Procarbine said:
Do we want to start wearing a tag? I roll with "USPS" right now, as it was my SSBM tag, but I'd be fine with nGAF or something.

Since there seemed to be some discussion of weapon preference a page or so ago, I'll comment.

I've gone through some phases, my first was the M16, coming off Halo 3 it was just like the BR, loved it. But, it lacks in close quarters and multi-enemy combat, so I don't use it as often anymore, but it's still nice at a distance.

ACR was next up, loved the accuracy, but I got annoyed getting hitmarkers and not getting kills, or people taking me out just because I couldn't drop them fast enough.

After doing from research I ended up with the Tar-21, it's got the highest damage output of any AR, and the lower accuracy doesn't hurt much as long as you stay away from long range automatic fire. I often use this with a silencer and OMA, to make up for the ammo consumption and give me more versatility in S and D.

Recently I've had some fun with the AUG+grip, power and long distance accuracy is a great combination if you can tolerate the iron-sight. Even if you can't there's always bling, but I like using Sleight of Hand Pro to compensate for it being an LMG.

I rolled with [GAF] for a while but am currently not using a clan tag. Just never bothered to put one back on after prestiging.

As far as guns go, I just can't decide. I'm currently plowing through the ACR to get my 10K points. I originally loved it after coming off the FAMAS, but like you, the lack of power is bothering me. I think I'll move to the M16 and holo next. I usually don't use the holo but the video was pretty convincing.

jedimike said:
As far as guns go, I just can't decide. I'm currently plowing through the ACR to get my 10K points. I originally loved it after coming off the FAMAS, but like you, the lack of power is bothering me. I think I'll move to the M16 and holo next. I usually don't use the holo but the video was pretty convincing.

I've also heard that the Holo Sight makes the FAL do 40 damage minimum as opposed to 35 damage minimum...which is enough to make it be a two-shot kill with Stopping Power. Haven't seen substantial proof though. Apparently the Holo Sight does weird things.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
divisionbyzorro said:
I've also heard that the Holo Sight makes the FAL do 40 damage minimum as opposed to 35 damage minimum...which is enough to make it be a two-shot kill with Stopping Power. Haven't seen substantial proof though. Apparently the Holo Sight does weird things.

From the CoD wiki:

It should be noted that there is a proven glitch that causes the Red Dot Sight to be slightly inaccurate when used on the FAL. Bullets hit slightly down and to the right of the red dot, making the Holographic Sight on the FAL slightly more appealing (also the fact that the base damage for FAL is increased from 35-55 to 40-55 when Holographic Sight is attached, or any bling variation that includes the Holographic Sight).

scoobs

divisionbyzorro said:

I always wondered what the difference was supposed to be between the red dot sight and holo sight.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
kaizoku said:
I don't wanna be ultra focused and have to deal with these groups who have some hardcore strategy on how to completely dominate each map or who have superhuman habits developed through months of practice.

Right there with you, man. I've lost count of how many failstreaks I've had that left me thinking I just wasn't putting the effort into the game needed to stay competitive (read: fun). I'm only a part-time player.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Had a really bad day in matchmaking so far, not playing bad (KD actually went up), just bad connections and so many dropouts.

Red bars every game. Makes the game get old so fast.

Procarbine said:
From the CoD wiki:
It should be noted that there is a proven glitch that causes the Red Dot Sight to be slightly inaccurate when used on the FAL. Bullets hit slightly down and to the right of the red dot, making the Holographic Sight on the FAL slightly more appealing (also the fact that the base damage for FAL is increased from 35-55 to 40-55 when Holographic Sight is attached, or any bling variation that includes the Holographic Sight).

That explains why I hated the RDS on the FAL! I never unlocked the Holo my first time around because I sucked with RDS and was pretty good with the irons! I might suffer through it this time around just to see what the Holo on the FAL is all about.

But first, I need to finish getting 40 bullet pen kills with the FAMAS FMJ- ugh.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Whoa, just got out of a game with everyone moving at lightning speed :lol.

X26

Banned
Yea I got put into one of those super fast glitch games earlier myself...pretty dumb, but atleast it's relatively harmless. Hard to kill anyone, and knifing looks like jousting with people sprinting head-on back and forth until one of them finally connects

Ugh im getting sick of the unbalanced game design. Wish there was a mode where the successful players can't summon kill streaks like helicopters or harriers. Whoever thought making the game unfair for people who are having a hard time are morons.

gibonez

Banned
RubxQub said:

If you love accuracy, go with an ACR. The recoil is essentially non-existent and you can spray across a map with near perfect accuracy.

Modded Controller :) makes the fal great at all ranges.

I've decided that the chopper gunner is better than AC130, unless I'm on Wasteland. Just too many buildings on other maps for people to hide in. AC130 is almost useless on Skidrow especially. I got all excited thinking it might turn into my first nuke but no, not exactly.

Dragnet

Been having a TON of fun last few games using just C4 and my Riot Shield! :D Scavenger is a must for the class to keep picking up more C4 by the way. Damn it's fun to plant a C4, sit somewhere then blow fools up. Yes it might be camping, but I don't care, I only do it with this class which I rarely play. And if they get through the C4? Ultimate shield beatdown :D I went 16-3 on Karachi doing this and finally got my K/D over 1.50!

I must also echo the post above me, I also find Chopper Gunner far superior to AC-130. While AC-130 is much neater, CG is faster, closer and far more effective at being accurate and hitting enemies in tight spots. Hitting windows and doorways is no problem with CG, but good luck doing it with an AC-130.

I'm gonna miss this game :( Back to Uni tomorrow where I PSN doesn't work. Bah..no MW2 Easter at the earliest...

Mileena

Banned
RubxQub said:

If you play hardcore, it's easily the best gun in the game. I don't use it myself though because I find it way too easy to use so I just stick with the TAR or Mini-Uzi.

Scarecrow

Man, I had a glorious domination match earlier today at the airport. At one point I ran around as a crazy knife weilding maniac and near the end was dancing around the enemy team, stabbing them all over. It was like something out of Ninja Assassin.

corkscrewblow said:
If you play hardcore, it's easily the best gun in the game. I don't use it myself though because I find it way too easy to use so I just stick with the TAR or Mini-Uzi.

What? You don't use it because you find it easy to use?

rodvik

ok I just hit 70 its time for the question.....

For those who have prestiged... do you regret it?

p.s. I am digging my AK and I love all my guns/perks ......BUT ......I really really love collecting titles.

rodvik said:
ok I just hit 70 its time for the question.....

For those who have prestiged... do you regret it?

p.s. I am digging my AK and I love all my guns/perks ......BUT ......I really really love collecting titles.

I dont regret it at all. I would get bored out of my mind if I stayed at 70. I like collecting everything as well so if you want to get everything, then prestige.

Top Bottom