• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

mr_boo

divisionbyzorro said:
So I know this question gets tossed around a lot, but what killstreak setups do you guys like to use? I find myself constantly switching them around unless I'm going for a particular challenge, although I find certain killstreaks to be entirely useless.

For Highrise & Rust: UAV-Predator-Harrier
For All Other Maps: UAV-Care Package-Sentry Gun

One thing to note, I only play TDM - the other modes are confusing to me. Highrise & Rust are too hectic to wait for a drop. If I'm feeling super aggressive, I'll go Predator, Harrier, Pavelow. I pretty much suck when using AC130 and Chain Gunner cause I only get to practice with those via Care Packages. Sad but sometimes I feel like I'm on the only guy on my team using UAVs ;-(

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Killstreak Setup:

Predator -> Harrier -> Pavelow

This is my usual setup. Get to 5, pop to 7, pop to 9. You'll almost always have both the Harrier and the Pavelow out at the same time ripping stuff up, and you're still free to roam around the map and clean up people that are looking up instead of across.​

Predator -> Harrier -> Chopper Gunner

For maps that are super wide open (Wasteland and Estate mainly), manning the ship usually will net you many more kills than just letting the Pavelow mop everything up for you. You can shoot more specific things and more quickly.​

Harrier -> Chopper Gunner -> Nuke

When I'm feeling pretty confident or want a challenge, I jump to this loadout. Do not even bother using this loadout on tiny maps (Scrapyard or Highrise), as you'll almost never be able to sit in your chopper gunner without getting drilled on the ground. Not always the case, but much less likely.

Playstyle is much more deliberate and controlled. Camping isn't the right word...but more zoning. I'll stick to a specific area much longer than I traditionally would (think guarding bombsites from all angles, not camping a specific corner). Moving around loosely is what gets you killed, so I move much less, but still move around enough to not be predictable. It isn't camping, I swear :lol​

Those are pretty much the only loadouts I use for killstreaks. Anything else would just be messing around.

mr_boo

I think someone asked a question revolving OMA and Hardline a while back and didn't get a response (too lazy to scroll back). In any event, here's what I discovered messing around yesterday with those two perks.

Hardline will actually kick in when you OMA switch to a kit that has it. For example, in Skidrow I started the match using my OMA Claymore kit. Fortified the building with two Claymores and OMA switched to my Hardline Kit and when I started racking up the kills (including Claymore kills), I noticed rather quickly that I was achieving my Killstreaks with the Hardline bonus. Just wanted to confirm that this does indeed work.

mr_boo said:
I think someone asked a question revolving OMA and Hardline a while back and didn't get a response (too lazy to scroll back). In any event, here's what I discovered messing around yesterday with those two perks.

Hardline will actually kick in when you OMA switch to a kit that has it. For example, in Skidrow I started the match using my OMA Claymore kit. Fortified the building with two Claymores and OMA switched to my Hardline Kit and when I started racking up the kills (including Claymore kills), I noticed rather quickly that I was achieving my Killstreaks with the Hardline bonus. Just wanted to confirm that this does indeed work.

This is truth. The other thing to note is that killstreaks are checked when you kill, not when you switch.

Thus, if you have 6 kills, and switch to a class with Hardline, you will not immediately earn a Harrier. But if you get another kill, you'll get both a Harrier and an Emergency Air Drop.

NYR said:
My guess:

Expansion Pack = 1 Map Pack consisting of 2 maps, plus new Spec Ops Missions (at least 5).

Cost: $20

Not worth it in the least. Considering the COD4 map pack was shit and one map that you bought never even came up in rotation of TDM or HQ. I'll say I'll take a wait and see approach but my friends will pretty much whine me to death until I get them so they can play them too.

Victrix

*beard*
OldJadedGamer said:
Not worth it in the least. Considering the COD4 map pack was shit and one map that you bought never even came up in rotation of TDM or HQ. I'll say I'll take a wait and see approach but my friends will pretty much whine me to death until I get them so they can play them too.

This might seem strange, but the map pack kind of killed CoD4 for me. My more casual friends didn't buy it, and it felt like the more hardcore players DID buy it, so consequently, our games with the map pack were almost always filled with m16 fragx3 tryhards

This might be less of an issue with MW2, given the greater build diversity, but I dunno. For those of you who have experienced OMA Dom mortaring, or Danger Close explosives HQ games, you know what a little degeneracy can do to a match. Playing endless rounds against that type of build isn't my idea of a relaxing evening.

Ovid

divisionbyzorro said:
So I know this question gets tossed around a lot, but what killstreak setups do you guys like to use? I find myself constantly switching them around unless I'm going for a particular challenge, although I find certain killstreaks to be entirely useless.

Not Useful:
Precision Airstrike: Unless a UAV is up, it's too difficult to properly aim this bonus. If it lasted longer it might be worth it.
Same airstrike that's used in CoD4. Didn't hear people complaining about it before. :lol :lol

divisionbyzorro said:
Not Useful:
EMP: Too difficult to earn and doesn't last long enough.
It should have been at least a 12 killstreak to earn this, not 15.

divisionbyzorro said:
Horrible:
Attack Helicopter: Almost never gets any kills. Almost always gets immediately shot down. Utter crap.
Terrible reward. Was better in CoD4.

tarius1210 said:
Same airstrike that's used in CoD4. Didn't hear people complaining about it before. :lol :lol .

The constant barrages of air support in this mess of a game has made it a habit in most to stay out of the open, so yeah, plain airstrikes are less useful.

Going back to COD4 for a while was like running across a fluffy field of freedom after escaping the asylum of Hell.

Az

I hate hearing the sound of a Stealth Bomber approaching. It's like ok I can lay down in some house and still won't be protected, fuck. Still not worth the slot.

The Sentry is an awesome machine for domination.

Dina said:
I know stealthbombers fly across the entire map, but how to determine where they fly from. You can't, can you?

Just use the direction arrow thingy on the edge of a map and they will plow that line all the way across the map

winnarps

divisionbyzorro said:
Looks like fun! Maybe it should be a new 0 XP playlist :) Hi-Speed Large Team Deathmatch. 9 v 9 CHAOS.

There are private glitched matches going on daily that have different settings enabled.

Some run with the Global Thermal Nuclear War gametype, with High Speed and Low Gravity all enabled. Some of these matches also give you 75 mil XP per kill, which is what people refer to as the Prestige Hack.

(talking about Xbox 360 version)

I was invited to a High Speed / Low Grav match yesterday. Was entertaining, but it's really hard to kill people when everyone moves 5-10x regular speed. And if you jumped without Commando Pro, the fall would kill you.

Dina

NarcissisticJay said:
Just use the direction arrow thingy on the edge of a map and they will plow that line all the way across the map

Works with precision airstrikes as well I assume? I have to try this.

winnarps said:
There are private glitched matches going on daily that have different settings enabled.

Some run with the Global Thermal Nuclear War gametype, with High Speed and Low Gravity all enabled. Some of these matches also give you 75 mil XP per kill, which is what people refer to as the Prestige Hack.

(talking about Xbox 360 version)

I was invited to a High Speed / Low Grav match yesterday. Was entertaining, but it's really hard to kill people when everyone moves 5-10x regular speed. And if you jumped without Commando Pro, the fall would kill you.

I can tell you why GTW was taken out: it's a camper's heaven and death on a super-large scale. It quite simply doesn't work for this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghAYXRHLUWg

I don't think I would ever want to play it beyond maybe once, just to try it out.

UFRA

Dina said:
There's no quick way to swap killstreak loadouts, is there?

No, but it takes like 5 seconds to open up the killstreak menu, press Triangle (or the respective button on other versions) to clear out all selections, and then quick select the 3 you want. :p

Victrix

*beard*
Precision Airstrike and Stealth Bomber are much more dangerous in Demolition than something like TDM or Dom (though they can be useful in Dom as well for securing PITA B points). They can also be handy in HQ for the same reason, as you can all but guarantee a claim on an HQ by placing one well.

The airstrikes from the PA are different than the Harrier as well. The Harrier does two strikes that nearly overlap, the PA does three strikes, each one moving forward from where you placed the marker by a good amount. Placed correctly, they'll carpet bomb a nice big chunk of the map in a line. Because you can't control the Harrier strike direction, sometimes they'll come in at a completely useless angle, barely covering an objective. A PA never has this problem.

The Stealth Bomber carpet bombs the entire map in a line, with a much wider radius, and a guaranteed kill for anyone caught in the blast zone. Additionally, anyone indoors is dazed by the blast, making them easy prey for house hunting teammates during the strike.

I'll occasionally run PA instead of Pred, and it rarely fails to do more damage to the other team, or secure a key objective if used well.

In non objective modes, you do need either a UAV, a real team, or a recent death to place it correctly.

In general, the Bomber is less useful than a Pavelow for racking up kills, but its focused bombing can be more crucial in objective modes that are time sensitive - you need one big suppressive strike right now, not a bunch of kills over the next few minutes.

Plus, you can't shoot down a Stealth Bomber or PA, Harriers and Pavelows can (and will) be taken down with a quickness by any competent team.

winnarps

divisionbyzorro said:
I can tell you why GTW was taken out: it's a camper's heaven and death on a super-large scale. It quite simply doesn't work for this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghAYXRHLUWg

I don't think I would ever want to play it beyond maybe once, just to try it out.

Yeah, it would be a bit more balanced if spawns took 10-15 seconds instead of being instant. Or if it was restricted to large maps.

That video reminds me of CoD4 Headquarters with grenade/martyrdom spam.

OldJadedGamer said:
Rumor is that the Spec ops and the multiplayer stuff will be I DLC and a back story for
Captain price eplaining why he is still alive If you notice no one is suprised that he is alive.
will be the other.

winnarps said:
Yeah, it would be a bit more balanced if spawns took 10-15 seconds instead of being instant. Or if it was restricted to large maps.

That video reminds me of CoD4 Headquarters with grenade/martyrdom spam.
Or they just took out points for kills

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
divisionbyzorro said:
) It's a discussion of relative usefulness. I'd much rather have a Predator missile (which can see people and takes one less kill) than a Precision Airstrike. I'd much rather have an Emergency Airdrop or a Pave Low than a Stealth Bomber. They're much more useful in a wider range of situations.

Pred missile, if we're going about this: IS USELESS. 9/10 of the time you throw out a predmissile on most maps and people will be inside. What is the point of using it? You may get one-two kills, but even then it isn't have the defense/offensive capability of the airstrike/bomber.

The main problem with the airstrike/bomber is the number of kills needed to get them. They should be lower for the pure defensive capability. Because, again: Anyone using them in a pure offensive fashion is doing it wrong.

Play the bomber in domination and you generally will make any enemy think twice (if they're smart) about taking the out-in-open (and there are many) cap points.

Pred Missile can't be canceled once you go into the laptop and switch views (if you can, please let me know as I've fucked my pred missiles 9/10 of the time quickly busting it out only to see everyone inside and can't cancel it). At least you can cancel out of the bomber/airstrike if no one is in the alleys/outside.

AltogetherAndrews said:
The constant barrages of air support in this mess of a game has made it a habit in most to stay out of the open, so yeah, plain airstrikes are less useful.

Going back to COD4 for a while was like running across a fluffy field of freedom after escaping the asylum of Hell.

By saying this, you are either too low of a level to have a Stinger yet or you are playing with other low levels/stingy players that either don't have one or don't use it.

Don't worry, once you get the Stinger... the air support gets shot down most times before it's able to take a single shot.

schennmu said:
What's the general consensus on the FAL? I really like it, but I kind of suck with it :(

M16 is the best gun in the game I hear?

As far as Assault Rifles go, pretty much everybody has their favorites, but this seems to be the consensus.

The FAL is all right, but for the most part it's too difficult to use.
The M4A1 is good, but the ACR beats it in pretty much every category.
The F2000 is shit.
The FAMAS and M16 users will constantly fight over which one is better.
All other guns are pretty consistently used across the board (save for TAR-21, which I always thought was pretty good, but almost nobody uses it).

OldJadedGamer said:
The FAL is sex in your hand for Hardcore.

Yeah, I guess. I love the single shot system. Combined with silencer and the corresponding perks, it seems to be a nice gun for stealth playing. Stealth is not really suitable for COD though. Most people prefer to play the game like Quake :(

divisionbyzorro said:
As far as Assault Rifles go, pretty much everybody has their favorites, but this seems to be the consensus.

The FAL is all right, but for the most part it's too difficult to use.
The M4A1 is good, but the ACR beats it in pretty much every category.
The F2000 is shit.
The FAMAS and M16 users will constantly fight over which one is better.
All other guns are pretty consistently used across the board (save for TAR-21, which I always thought was pretty good, but almost nobody uses it).

Cool, thanks!

GodofWine

divisionbyzorro said:

TAR-21 is my weapon of choice still at lvl 66...SCAR is killer but needs extended mags which I'll never get for it.

ACR is like a laser, so accurate, stopping power with Holo = sex

I don't hate the F2000 (or whatever it is)..but no need to use it.

OldJadedGamer said:
By saying this, you are either too low of a level to have a Stinger yet or you are playing with other low levels/stingy players that either don't have one or don't use it.

Don't worry, once you get the Stinger... the air support gets shot down most times before it's able to take a single shot.

No, I have a stinger, but I wish I didn't have to have a class with a stinger. It's a cluttered sky, and it would be bad enough with the damned slot machine kill streak rewards. I thought the comparison to COD4 explained it well, but maybe not. I'm really hoping that we'll someday get a playlist that removes killstreak rewards, or at least removes the care package rot.

minx

kitch9 said:
How do you set your ACR up? Silencer? Stopping power or wat?

I usually stick with a silencer since I like flanking enemies. The iron sights on the ACR are amazing anyways. It still tears up wit the red dot though.

Meier said:
That's wild. What is your play time? I am at around 4,000 kills and have just under 3 days I think.. level 66 or something. I'm sure you must be on at least your 3rd or 4th prestige?

My play time is around 5 days

mr_boo

schennmu said:
What's the general consensus on the FAL? I really like it, but I kind of suck with it :(

M16 is the best gun in the game I hear?
FAL is my staple gun. I only have one kit without it - that kit being my Holo M16 w Stopping Power, which is my only Stopping Power Kit. To give context too, I pretty much play only TDM.

One thing I have observed (and given light of the new video showcasing the Holo M16 is more accurate than the RDS M16) for some reason, I've always felt that the FAL was easier to use with a Holo than an RDS. I'm not sure if it's just in my head, but if you're struggling with the FAL, trying using Holo instead of RDS assuming you don't prefer Iron Sights.

Reason why I like the FAL so much is that it opens the door for using other Tier 2 Perks like Hardline, Cold Blooded and Danger Close. One thing to note is that it does have some recoil, so you have to adjust to that. The further away you are from the target, the more you'll have to fire off in short gaps. For instance, if you're trying to pick off a sniper off in the long, long distance - you'll have to spread your shots out unless you get a headshot in. If you fire in quick successions the recoil will make you miss badly. In such cases, don't be surprised if your target simply moves away.

Also, just remember that in most short to mid-range cases, you're only going to need two shots to take them down. Just to give a bit of the background, the base damage for the FAL is 50 damage points per round. The M16 with Stopping Power is 56 damage points per round. Thus the FAL's actually quite effective, if you can adjust to the recoil and get over the single shot fire. But it all really depends on your playstyle too - if you're more of the rushing type, a fully automatic gun like the Scar is probably the way to go.

gibonez

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
No, I have a stinger, but I wish I didn't have to have a class with a stinger. It's a cluttered sky, and it would be bad enough with the damned slot machine kill streak rewards. I thought the comparison to COD4 explained it well, but maybe not. I'm really hoping that we'll someday get a playlist that removes killstreak rewards, or at least removes the care package rot.

The randomness that care packages and emergency airdrops adds kinda ruins the game for me. It baffles me that IW would put Ac130s , chopper gunners in care packages, game changing killstreaks to a random package that only takes a few kills to get. Make people earn those , remove them from the care packages.

I have Tar-21 mastered and miss it dearly since I switched (AUG is sweet in its own right)

I can understand the M16/FAMAS being good in Hardcore, but seems like it could get you into trouble in non-hardcore modes, I usually play Ground war and there are just to many people around. If I take out one guy, I have no chance of taking out the rest with the three round burst delay

gibonez said:
The randomness that care packages and emergency airdrops adds kinda ruins the game for me. It baffles me that IW would put Ac130s , chopper gunners in care packages, game changing killstreaks to a random package that only takes a few kills to get. Make people earn those , remove them from the care packages.

Im the opposite, its fun when you are not sure what your going to get its like Christmas!!

Yes, but for every one AC-130, you get 5 ammo boxes...........

mr_boo said:
FAL is my staple gun. I only have one kit without it - that kit being my Holo M16 w Stopping Power, which is my only Stopping Power Kit. To give context too, I pretty much play only TDM.

One thing I have observed (and given light of the new video showcasing the Holo M16 is more accurate than the RDS M16) for some reason, I've always felt that the FAL was easier to use with a Holo than an RDS. I'm not sure if it's just in my head, but if you're struggling with the FAL, trying using Holo instead of RDS assuming you don't prefer Iron Sights.

Reason why I like the FAL so much is that it opens the door for using other Tier 2 Perks like Hardline, Cold Blooded and Danger Close. One thing to note is that it does have some recoil, so you have to adjust to that. The further away you are from the target, the more you'll have to fire off in short gaps. For instance, if you're trying to pick off a sniper off in the long, long distance - you'll have to spread your shots out unless you get a headshot in. If you fire in quick successions the recoil will make you miss badly. In such cases, don't be surprised if your target simply moves away.

Also, just remember that in most short to mid-range cases, you're only going to need two shots to take them down. Just to give a bit of the background, the base damage for the FAL is 50 damage points per round. The M16 with Stopping Power is 56 damage points per round. Thus the FAL's actually quite effective, if you can adjust to the recoil and get over the single shot fire. But it all really depends on your playstyle too - if you're more of the rushing type, a fully automatic gun like the Scar is probably the way to go.

I fell in love with the FAL in sp mode and couldn't wait to unlock it in mp. Maybe one of the reasons is, that the assault rifle during my army time was a single shot G3 with ridiculous recoil :lol

Well, I unlocked it today and messed around with different scopes and perks without finding the perfect solution yet. Didn't like the iron sights, ACOG didn't seem too bad, I will try more Holo though.

Thanks for telling me to be more patient with tapping R1, I'm definitely overdoing it. Problem is that I'm getting owned in close range against fully automatic rifles (which 90% of the players seem to use). And no, I'm not the rushing type, even though COD seems to reward that playstyle.

I hope the DLC isn't too bogged down with callsigns and stuff. All I want is maps, maps and maps.

Some Spec-Ops missions would be cool, too, but since I spend way more time in MP I'd rather have 4 quality maps.

mr_boo

KittyKittyBangBang said:
Yes, but for every one AC-130, you get 5 ammo boxes...........
I would be happy with that ratio :lol - anyways, agreed that Care Package can swing things unfairly...nothing like getting a Chopper Gunner within the first minute of the start of the match. Chopper Wha? The game is only one minute in! :lol

Biff

NarcissisticJay said:
Does the circle indicate where the stealth bomber will start bombing or where the middle of it's bombing run will happen (e.g. where you are guaranteed to land bombs, but some will drop before and after the circle)?

Most logical answer is start, but figured I might as well ask.

-Mikey-

I'm about 10mins away from heading out to get this for PS3. Don't have a 360 and don't see a point in picking up the PC version, too busy with CS and TF2.

How does the PS3 version hold up?

ZeroRay

-Mikey- said:
I'm about 10mins away from heading out to get this for PS3. Don't have a 360 and don't see a point in picking up the PC version, too busy with CS and TF2.

How does the PS3 version hold up?

More or less equal to the 360. With more dropped frames on the PS3 side in Single Player.

Top Bottom