• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Cruzader said:
And yes Sek, we should play Hardcore mode next time. I told you we could play something else if you wanted.

Nah, it's cool. It's the first time I played Team Deathmatch in CoD6, actually. I played a bunch of it (generally Mercenary) in CoD4 so I've gotten sick of it. I generally play HQ as it's a guranteed EXP gain (even if it's slow) :lol

I prefer HQ if only because a) the UAV is gone b) Silence = deadly in that mode (which is good for me) and c) having to rely on aim-down-sight (ADS) more than spraying (though my SPAS has gotten me pretty good at from the hip without a reticle in Rust on HC HQ. :lol ).

Not going to get into the quagmire that is weapon balance around here. Esp, given some of the posters that can't be wrong. :lol

Derail, Wasteland, Karachi, Rundown, Estate (Especially estate) etc. are worthless.

ALL the maps are worthless. Terminal and Skidrow are the only passable ones because a) they're small b) they're confined (for the most part) and c) give decent [but not great] cover from the insane air-support IW decided to put into the game.

If there is any DLC for the old maps (Mostly: Bloq, Skidrow, Chinatown) balanced for said insane air support in the cards, that's the only DLC I'd buy and play a playlist with only those maps. God, I hate the default maps we have in this outing. Too open, too big, too terrible in spawn placement.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The game-winning kills are so damn funny in Hardcore Search & Destroy. There's something really sad about seeing a dude get bumped to death by a riot shield in slo motion.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
SpeedingUptoStop said:
The game-winning kills are so damn funny in Hardcore Search & Destroy. There's something really sad about seeing a dude get bumped to death by a riot shield in slo motion.

I absolutely love being the last man standing on my team because my heart races so fast :lol. And oh man getting that game-winning kill 1v1, SO satisfying.

Yeef

I wasn't digging the M1014 at first, which I thought was odd because I loved it in COD4, but I'm starting to get used to it now and I'm loving it. I went 21-5 on scrapyard with it. I'm no good with it without ninja though. The range isn't that good so when people can hear you it's easy for them to take you out from just outside of the kill zone, but if you can sneak up on someone it's trivial to take out a room of 4 or 5 guys before they know what's happening.

ultim8p00

Banned
I really hate Estate unless it's a Domination game since it forces everybody to get out of the house. My fav maps are Sub Base, Scrapyard, Terminal, Invasion, Rust, and Favela. I enjoy them so much because people are more likely to play the damn game than sit in a corner. My most hated map is probably Rundown. Fucking snipers everywhere. In one match, literally everybody else was a sniper.

Also this game would be so much better if they just took out all the killstreaks. So goddamn annoying getting hit by random shit.

Narag

ultim8p00 said:
Also this game would be so much better if they just took out all the killstreaks. So goddamn annoying getting hit by random shit.

TDM playlist option with COD4 killstreak rewards, as myself and others have suggested, would be grand.

Scarecrow

My last (and probably hardest yet) semester of school starts monday. I'll bet I have to give up playing lots of games till may. Just as I was getting into the groove of CoD, too. :(

I'm also hoping that IW's next CoD game is the previously rumored Future Warfare. I'd like a futuristic aesthetic with the awesome FPS feel of the MW games.

whitehawk

Banned
Insaniac said:
anybody been running into a weird ice-skating glitch or hack where you slide around the whole game? It's messed up.
You mean the super speed glitch? Ya, I ran into that yesterday. Really weird.

Insaniac

whitehawk said:
You mean the super speed glitch? Ya, I ran into that yesterday. Really weird.

Ours was weird we slid around like we were on ice, and we couldn't control our movement well at all cause we'd strafe and move at angles a lot faster than moving forwards or backwards

I'm not used to playing with a pad, but I'm holding my own. Any tips on aiming with the sniper rifles on a pad? I really want to improve with those weapons on the big stages. I'm really digging the FAMAS and the SCAR assault rifles(I hope I spelled those weapons correctly)Also, what recommend perks you guys relied on when sniping(Lvl 20 as of now)?

ShinobiFist said:
I'm not used to playing with a pad, but I'm holding my own. Any tips on aiming with the sniper rifles on a pad? I really want to improve with those weapons on the big stages. I'm really digging the FAMAS and the SCAR assault rifles(I hope I spelled those weapons correctly)Also, what recommend perks you guys relied on when sniping(Lvl 20 as of now)?

I'm not much of a sniper, but stopping power is pretty much a must, since it usually ensures one-hit kills (of course, it depends on where you hit them too). Marathon will help you get to places quicker which is important for sniping to establish your choke points.

Some may recommend scavenger since it allows for unlimited claymores if you like using those to protect your positions, but I think claymores suck in this game. Plus, getting more requires you to run over your dead enemies which takes you into fire territory.

As for the third perk, I recommend either Ninja (which will protect you from HBS, although they are diminishing in usage) or Steady Aim Pro - Steady Aim itself will help little but the Pro version allows you to hold your breath for longer (or unlimited...I forget).

For secondaries I recommend the PP2000, which is an excellent machine pistol, but more accomplished snipers will probably have better ideas.

Narag

I usually run with the Barret with Thermal Scopes & Spas with holographic as my backup.
Claymores are used for early warning, guarding tight entryways, distractions for those with sitrep, and an all around nasty surprise after relocating elsewhere.

Perks I use are Scavenger Pro, Cold Blooded Pro as playing dead is fuck awesome, and Commando Pro for self-defense and quick vertical exits!

Ben2749 said:
Yeah, I only started trying to go for Nukes a couple of days ago, and even though I'm only planning on trying for one, and I've come close a couple of times, I'm already considering giving it up, as if I try for too long, I'll likely get stubborn and will refuse to quit until I finally do get one. And if that takes a while, I'll be in for a frustrating and agonising time.

Also, as has already been said, so many people have boosted to get Nukes, that having the emblem isn't all that impressive anymore. Sure, you'd know that you earned a Nuke legit, but is that alone worth the effort?

8-bit price mario emblem > nuke emblem

When I join a lobby, 99/100 times, I'm the only one sporting that emblem (PS3). Once in awhile do I see another person with it.

I've got to say, this is the worst "progression" of a series I have ever witnessed personally. I loved and still love Modern Warfare. I had the initial hype buzz for the game, but now I can't even play it. Too much going on. I know IW has the skill, I just hope their next game is a drastic change from this. Although I'm sure my hype machine brain will force me to buy it either way.

Edit:nope=hope

Raiden

Banned
Well i made a mess, got my ratio from 1.45 down to 1.34 or something like that, all because i was playing Magnum and throwing knife only. I never played Akimbo weapons, so i really wanted them for my Magnums.

I ended up still sucking with them .. =(

Arjen

user_nat said:
Anyone else find it almost impossible to get games with a party of 4 or more?

Yep, i'm always in a party of 4 or 5 people. And it takes at least half an hour to get in a game. Because half of the time somebody's get's kicked from the lobby.

Damn, finally got into the nuke club yesterday :D

I usually don't run Harrier/Chopper/Nuke because I like running and gunning with UAV/Jammer/Sentry, but I gave it a go anyways.

Got put into a Ground War TDM - Favela, so I decide to go with my Tactical Knife class:
- Silenced UMP45
- M9 Tactical Knife
- Marathon Pro
- Cold-Blooded Pro
- Ninja Pro

Do my usual routes, run around, get to 6 kills and die twice. Run around again and knife like a madman on C-side, get my Harrier, drop it for a lucky 4-man carpet bomb and the rest is history, ended up 49-3 and a Tactical Nuke. Kept the same killstreak loadout for the next game and basically missed the nuke by 1 kill because the other team was horrid at keeping any flags.

Graf Nudu said:
Interesting video about the anti air in MW2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13EEmWzDlR0

That video is boring. Basically, that's my screen every single time I play the game. I've said it before, a lot of my friends have stingers equipped and we fight over who is going to shoot down air vehicles first.

To this day, I have never... ever seen a nuke because no one on the other team gets any free kills from air support and if they do, they are damn lucky. We shoot down planes/helicopters before they even get on the map sometimes.

Cruzader

Banned
FromTheFuture said:
Maybe your "great gaming skills" aren't as great as you think. What a joke.

Well I've must of been blind or something because I kept seeing the kill cams of the enemy and all they would do is camp somewhere and use the heat sensor scope shit(grey background and white outline of me) across the damn map while I had a lvl1 weapon all the time. Or how about the other thing that reads the heart beat and tell where you are? Oh yea Im BSing.... Fuck off.

Anyhow since I got some of those scopes myself, I can go and get those asses right back.

Okay, so is there any way to actually create a private match and keep it to invited players only?

One of my personal friends has a ton of random people he met playing CoD4 on his list and whenever I create a private game for my friends and I to play and talk, people on his list always invite themselves in by using the join player option under invite. Then they stay just long enough to fuck up the team numbers/scores and leave. It doesn't help matters that he plays with a bunch of jerks that run around yelling racist and homophobic remarks during the matches.

It doesn't look like you can kick them during the match (only in the lobby) and there doesn't seem to be a way to limit the number of players/set it to invite only... unless I'm totally missing something here (PS3 if that matters).

It really seems stupid that the game is missing that ability.

ThirstyFly said:
Okay, so is there any way to actually create a private match and keep it to invited players only?
Would setting his live status to invisible/offline stop people on his list seeing that he is in a custom lobby?

If you mean ps3, can you go invisible on that?

You people snipe without Sleight of Hand? I would say Sleight of Hand Pro is the most important part of sniping. You bring up your scope too slowly without it and if you're staying zoomed more than for a few seconds at a time you don't have enough vision and awareness of what's going on the map.

I would say Claymores are really good for newb snipers also, even if it doesn't kill the person it will send off the explosion to let you know they're coming in. I prefer Tactical Insertion; when using that make sure to put it at lease a few seconds away from you so they can't kill you twice.

For side arms I'd say akimbo magnums are the best. Pistols pull out instantly and Magnums are basically the most powerful ones. The Deagle's recoil makes it garbage (and it's too high level of a gun for most people to use anyway).

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Pankaks said:
These are honestly the only three maps I enjoy.

Derail, Wasteland, Karachi, Rundown, Estate (Especially estate) etc. are worthless.
I agree with all of these (except for Wasteland, I guess, which I sort of like for Domination games). Karachi is relatively small but just has so much going on in a confined space, with all the buildings, rooftops, corridors, etc... I've played it a bunch of times and still feel lost in it. It's probably one of the more "realistic" maps in the game but I hate it.

No_Style

Pankaks said:
These are honestly the only three maps I enjoy.

I'm curious. To those who hate most of the maps, which mode to you play? I usually play Ground War, and I think most of the maps are fine aside from Karachi Domination and the occasional sniper infested Wasteland Domination.

I can see how most of the maps would be annoying for camping in regular TDM though.

Diablohead said:
Would setting his live status to invisible/offline stop people on his list seeing that he is in a custom lobby?

If you mean ps3, can you go invisible on that?

You can't go invisible on PS3, but you can set your status to Not Available. I don't know if that would block people from joining you in game, but I'll give it a try next time my friends are online.

aku:jiki

Cruzader said:
Oh yea Im BSing.... Fuck off.
Yes, you are. I just got a nuke using an M4 (first weapon you get) with nothing but a silencer on it, with a Striker sidearm with grip on it. Don't bitch about the weapons because you're getting owned; the level 1 stuff is all fine for getting kills.

You're getting owned because you don't know the maps. Levels and weapon access have nothing to do with it.

I'm curious. To those who hate most of the maps, which mode to you play?
I feel that if you just learn them, all maps are mostly fine except for Derail (it's just too large for anyone who doesn't like sniping, which is pretty one-sided) and Scrapyard (way too open with way too many places to get shot from ANYWHERE you peek out on the map). I used to think Wasteland was for snipers only too but it's pretty bearable with Marathon and lots of flanking.

Also, Derail has the idiotic "snow advantage." One team gets to be white and invisible, the other gets to be black/red and incredibly visible. Shitty map.

I feel derailed is a fine map in Team Deathmatch and Search, but in Domination it is rather bad. It's really hard to do anything if the other team has A and B or C and B. The map just doesn't work in Domination. I can't remember ever playing it on Headquarters, but I don't think it would be a very good Headquarters map if its in the pool.

Highrise is a pretty awful Domination map too because of the spawn trapping. It's great in everything else though.

Rundown is pretty awful all around; The two chokepoints and excessive camping is just so horrible. I don't understand how anyone enjoys that map.

Terminal is a great map, but the A spawn is kind of imbalanced due to the open roof above it. Highrise kind of has this problem a bit too, but it's easy to avoid unlike on Terminal.

todahawk

Had a blast with some gaffers last night, definitely a lot more fun that playing with randoms... it's nice to have somebody actually watching your back.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
The only perk set-up to snipe, in my opinion, is Sleight of Hand Pro, Stopping Power Pro, and Steady Aim Pro. Although, I don't do all that much sniping.

I'm away from the game right now, probably going to get back to it tomorrow, but I thought of using Claymores with my OMA class and playing domination or s and d. Get to an objective your enemy isn't currently around, Claymore, reset class, over and over, make a minefield. It goes pretty quickly with OMA Pro, and I'm looking forward to trying it. A bit nervous though, as I love my semtex.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
all the maps are fine, its just that some people dont have appropriate playstyles for each one.

highrise started out as my fave but its now my most... hesitant map, because a good team can totally dominate and basically spawn camp a poor team. not quite the case on other maps.

wasteland is infested with snipers but whenever I dont have cold blooded I stick to the tunnels and I'm fine.

favela is the one I dont like, but thats mainly cos I suck at the skills needed for it, I don't really have a good close quarters class and I'm not too hot at sniping there either. but as I get better at these things I find myself liking it more and more.

I really do find all the maps much more enjoyable than COD4 maps.

todahawk

Procarbine said:
The only perk set-up to snipe, in my opinion, is Sleight of Hand Pro, Stopping Power Pro, and Steady Aim Pro. Although, I don't do all that much sniping.

I'm away from the game right now, probably going to get back to it tomorrow, but I thought of using Claymores with my OMA class and playing domination or s and d. Get to an objective your enemy isn't currently around, Claymore, reset class, over and over, make a minefield. It goes pretty quickly with OMA Pro, and I'm looking forward to trying it. A bit nervous though, as I love my semtex.

IIRC you can only have two active claymores at a time

Cruzader

Banned
greenjerk said:
Had a blast with some gaffers last night, definitely a lot more fun that playing with randoms... it's nice to have somebody actually watching your back.

Do alot of Gafers play this? I have like 2-3 ppls playing online from time to time on FL. Im on PS3 and if you or anyone else wants to add me, please do so. My PSN is on the online forum.

codecow

aku:jiki said:
Yes, you are. I just got a nuke using an M4 (first weapon you get) with nothing but a silencer on it, with a Striker sidearm with grip on it. Don't bitch about the weapons because you're getting owned; the level 1 stuff is all fine for getting kills.

You're getting owned because you don't know the maps. Levels and weapon access have nothing to do with it.

This.

I prestiged for the first time a couple days ago and with the default Grenadier class I was able to stay positive and have a couple good games (3:1 or better) before I was able to set up my own classes at level 4.

If you stick with the game and keep playing you will learn where people like to hide and shoot from on each map so you can check carefully, flank, or run through these positions.

GHG

So I've been reading everywhere that the PC version of this sucks, especially online. Whats the GAF opinion on this?

Oh God, played with a bunch of noobs and the other team was constantly getting Harriers and Chopper Gunner. Of course nobody of my team had an anti air equipped or at least tried to shoot shit down.

I shot down one chopper and three harriers in a row (with scavenger) and barely made it out with a positive score...

Loxley

Yeah, I play the PC version and I haven't run into any problems that I haven't hit in the 360 version (outside of the occasional wall-hacking/aim-botting douchebags that are prominent in almost all PC shooters).

The only real "issue" I've run into with the PC version- and I had this exact same problem with CoD4 on the PC- is that my HUD is scaled wrong; it's a little too big. The experience bar in multiplayer runs off the screen, and I can't for the life of me find a way to fix it :p

But yeah, outside of all the crying about no dedicated servers or mod tools, MW2 on the PC is pretty much a solid port of the console versions, it's identical in nearly every way.

Lince

Banned
so I was playing this game I thought it was my finest ever, I was unstoppable!! then I noticed I had been picked the host... that explains why some guys didn't appear to shoot at me when we encountered, of course they shot at me, but not in my screen. 31-0

Meier

Narag said:
I usually run with the Barret with Thermal Scopes & Spas with holographic as my backup.
Claymores are used for early warning, guarding tight entryways, distractions for those with sitrep, and an all around nasty surprise after relocating elsewhere.

Perks I use are Scavenger Pro, Cold Blooded Pro as playing dead is fuck awesome, and Commando Pro for self-defense and quick vertical exits!
Interesting -- very different set up than mine before I prestiged. Barrett with Bling Pro (HBS and Thermal), Stopping Power Pro (CB just didn't work for me) and Steady Aim Pro (huge). I used a Raffica with Holo and FMJ for my secondary.

Scavenger would be nice for the extra claymores but only rocking one add-on to my weapons isn't very exciting. I may change it up this go round though, we'll see. Raffica is far and away my fav secondary. Great aim and nice take down power plus very quick shooting. It exponentially improved my ability with the FAMAS too.

I forgot it took so long to get claymores...I feel so naked without them. TI is mostly useless IMO.

Top Bottom