• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

io3z9l.jpg

WOO

todahawk

Lince said:
so I was playing this game I thought it was my finest ever, I was unstoppable!! then I noticed I had been picked the host... that explains why some guys didn't appear to shoot at me when we encountered, of course they shot at me, but not in my screen. 31-0

how do you know you're the host?

_Xenon_

Banned
greenjerk said:
He probably was the only one with green bar and everybody else with red/yellow bars. I had that kind of game once and after the match I got 3 XBOX PMs telling me I'm a lag switch faggot. Shitty match making system indeed.

todahawk

_Xenon_ said:
He probably was the only one with green bar and everybody else with red/yellow bars. I had that kind of game once and after the match I got 3 XBOX PMs telling me I'm a lag switch faggot. Shitty match making system indeed.

k, thx. wanted to make sure i hadn't missed something obvious.

Lince

Banned
8 players, everyone with 3 green bars except for my friend and I (4 bars), he left mid-game and host migration didn't kick in so that was the moment I knew for sure.

you can always check who got host right as the game is starting anyway.

Nizz

corkscrewblow said:
Default is 2, which is way too fast imo.
Really? I think it's a bit slow for me. I play at 3, thinking of bumping it to 4. But 3 feels good all around for long distance and up close.

greenjerk said:
Even if the opponent has a green ping and you are host you still get a 0ping advantage, it's even possible to see this on kill cams if you go up against a good or bad host. you both shoot at each other but they win, you watch the replay and see that you actually only fired once instead of 3 times.

It's shit like that which I hate the most in all games where no servers are used.

jedimike

Lince said:
so I was playing this game I thought it was my finest ever, I was unstoppable!! then I noticed I had been picked the host... that explains why some guys didn't appear to shoot at me when we encountered, of course they shot at me, but not in my screen. 31-0

Yah, I downplayed the whole host advantage thing when I first started playing, but now it is very obvious that the host does have a real, and at times, unfair advantage. The real problem happens with the knife class people. Any ping advantage nets them the kill over you even if you pushed your melee milliseconds before them.

At those moments in the game, where you scream out "Bullshit! I had him."; you were probably a victim of host advantage or are at least a latency disadvantage.

Now when I'm playing, I'll keep searching for games until I get 4 bars. To be honest, I'm not a twitch player and being put at a ping disadvantage seriously cripples my game. When I'm host, I'm typically finishing 2:1 or higher and getting to 30 kills first on most games. When I'm not the host, but have 4 bars, I'll go probably 1.5:1 and will finish in positions 3-5. When I'm running at 3 bars and less, it's a 1:1 affair and I'll finish near the bottom. Luckily, I have a pretty fat pipe with low latency and get picked to be host a lot.

Now that's just the level of player I am. I've seen people with 3 bars wreck everyone. A top tier player can still have plenty of success without being host.

Rayme

Strider2K99 said:
Is this for all versions or just the 360 version?
The fix is live for all versions, but 360 was the only one that I've seen the problem in.
PC could theoretically have had the problem (and may have!), but PS3 almost-certainly didn't.

Rayme said:
Matchmaking works off of (perceived) skill, not rank. You can be level 70 but still suck pretty hard (for example: me), or the opposite.

That's generally a better method than just , but it's screwed a bit by the unlock system. Not so much the weapons (with some exceptions), but attachments, perks and equipment make a big difference. I suppose general flow of the battle would remain largely equal since it is based on skill, but it can be really overwhelming and feel downright cheap when you're a low level dude pitted against dudes with high level perks. I can't think of a better system, though, so hey.

.nimrod

jedimike said:
[...] Any ping advantage nets them the kill over you even if you pushed your melee milliseconds before them.[...]

they are even at an advantage when they're lagging cause you see them a bit later due to their connection. that coupled with marathon-lightweight-commando and you sometimes don't even see them :/

jedimike

.nimrod said:
they are even at an advantage when they're lagging cause you see them a bit later due to their connection. that coupled with marathon-lightweight-commando and you sometimes don't even see them :/

Another item that works poorly with latency issues are claymores. This is where the host actually has a disadvantage because the claymores will go off late. By the time the trigger to explode the claymore gets to the host, the person with high latency (3 bars or less) is already passed the danger zone.

Meier said:
Interesting -- very different set up than mine before I prestiged. Barrett with Bling Pro (HBS and Thermal), Stopping Power Pro (CB just didn't work for me) and Steady Aim Pro (huge). I used a Raffica with Holo and FMJ for my secondary.

Scavenger would be nice for the extra claymores but only rocking one add-on to my weapons isn't very exciting. I may change it up this go round though, we'll see. Raffica is far and away my fav secondary. Great aim and nice take down power plus very quick shooting. It exponentially improved my ability with the FAMAS too.

I forgot it took so long to get claymores...I feel so naked without them. TI is mostly useless IMO.

barret, FMJ + thermal
pp2000 FMJ + Akimbo
stun grenades
claymores
Bling Pro
Stopping Power
Steady Aim

I got chopper gunner on highrise today, and it went through the map. down into the building

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I really really wish this game came with mode specific leaderboards instead of global ones. It's fucking up all the game modes because people just want kills...and it's hard to blame them...because racking up kills affects the only thing that matters...your K/D.

No one cares about score. I have an amazing score...but I don't give a shit about it.
No one cares about W/L. You D/C...you lose. You quit...you lose. You lose...you lose. I play to win...but when you're alone in this thinking, you just set yourself up to die more and more.

...so K/D is the only thing that matters. That and accuracy.

It's ruining all the other game modes.

I have no idea what CoD4 was like, but I've done nothing but curse out IW for making this game the way they have.

...and yet I keep playing because I'm an asshole that's addicted to this shitty game.

TDM is the only mode that feels properly balanced.

ultim8p00

Banned
jedimike said:
Yah, I downplayed the whole host advantage thing when I first started playing, but now it is very obvious that the host does have a real, and at times, unfair advantage. The real problem happens with the knife class people. Any ping advantage nets them the kill over you even if you pushed your melee milliseconds before them.

At those moments in the game, where you scream out "Bullshit! I had him."; you were probably a victim of host advantage or are at least a latency disadvantage.

Now when I'm playing, I'll keep searching for games until I get 4 bars. To be honest, I'm not a twitch player and being put at a ping disadvantage seriously cripples my game. When I'm host, I'm typically finishing 2:1 or higher and getting to 30 kills first on most games. When I'm not the host, but have 4 bars, I'll go probably 1.5:1 and will finish in positions 3-5. When I'm running at 3 bars and less, it's a 1:1 affair and I'll finish near the bottom. Luckily, I have a pretty fat pipe with low latency and get picked to be host a lot.

Now that's just the level of player I am. I've seen people with 3 bars wreck everyone. A top tier player can still have plenty of success without being host.

This makes so much sense. I thought I just sucked at aiming or something. There are times when I'd spot a guy first and empty 5 rounds into his head but he kills me.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Man, stopping power is so good you don't even need the steady aim perk, eh. I'm shooting from the hip a lot better than I did with just the steady aim perk.

jedimike said:
Another item that works poorly with latency issues are claymores. This is where the host actually has a disadvantage because the claymores will go off late. By the time the trigger to explode the claymore gets to the host, the person with high latency (3 bars or less) is already passed the danger zone.

Not so much in Hardcore. When one goes off, someone dies unless they have scrambler pro.

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
Yo for all of you who play HC Search, what are your strategies for skidrow? Either offense or defence, I seem to get owned. I'm pretty good for all of the other maps, but skidrow is a bitch to master :lol

EazyB

Banned
RubxQub said:
I really really wish this game came with mode specific leaderboards instead of global ones. It's fucking up all the game modes because people just want kills...and it's hard to blame them...because racking up kills affects the only thing that matters...your K/D.

No one cares about score. I have an amazing score...but I don't give a shit about it.
No one cares about W/L. You D/C...you lose. You quit...you lose. You lose...you lose. I play to win...but when you're alone in this thinking, you just set yourself up to die more and more.

...so K/D is the only thing that matters. That and accuracy.
What makes the K/D ratio "matter?"

If one wanted to they could camp and end games with 7-2 every single match and have a high K/D but that says nothing about how good they are. The only thing that would make K/D matter is if they restricted it to only Deathmatch games and objective games didn't attribute to it.

As it stands, K/D may be a rough indicator of a player's skill but even then it has to be taken with grain of salt.

jedimike

clashfan said:
How do I improve my sniping skills? It just seems there is no advantage to using a sniper rifle.

Your whole intent on sniping should be to get one shot kills and to be off of other people's radar. The rifles are all about the same, obviously a head shot is prefered. If you don't have time, the next best location is torso.

There's different combinations to reach the goal... I use stopping power and ninja. I don't silence the rifle to make sure I get the one hit kill. Sometimes that gives me away, but I tend to rove anyway. Use my PP2000 with silencer as secondary and my sniper is the Barrett with thermal.

I'm not that good at sniping either. On wasteland, my number of kills is low, but my K/D is very high.

Mileena

Banned
OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
Yo for all of you who play HC Search, what are your strategies for skidrow? Either offense or defence, I seem to get owned. I'm pretty good for all of the other maps, but skidrow is a bitch to master :lol
Defense I usually rush the stair side going towards A and sometimes wait a couple seconds and nade the side they come from which gets me a kill or two about 80% of the time. Most of the time though the majority of my team goes that way so I'll just go back towards B and watch the middle. On offense I rush towards A and climb the boxes to get on the roof (<3333 Marathon pro) and beat the defense there every time. From there either go towards their spawn and catch people off guard or clear A and plant.

I love Skidrow for search.

Scarecrow

Is it possible to use the precision air strike to hit someone else's air support? Like, using the missile to hit someone's hovering harrier?

ultim8p00 said:
Also this game would be so much better if they just took out all the killstreaks. So goddamn annoying getting hit by random shit.

Yup. I'm tempted to quote myself re: the freedom fields of COD4, but I'll just quote the "cluttered skies" bit. But at least killstreaks are earned; the care package rewards are just plain shit. I guess it's successful in ensuring that anyone can score a big death machine and feel like the king of the world, but there should at least be a fucking option to play the game without a slot machine factor.

Hyunkel6

Scarecrow said:
Is it possible to use the precision air strike to hit someone else's air support? Like, using the missile to hit someone's hovering harrier?
I don't know about harriers, but I used my missile many times on helicopters.

Edit: Nevermind. I misread your question. I never tried an airstrike on air supports.

HappyDad

Neo Member
Diablohead said:
Even if the opponent has a green ping and you are host you still get a 0ping advantage, it's even possible to see this on kill cams if you go up against a good or bad host. you both shoot at each other but they win, you watch the replay and see that you actually only fired once instead of 3 times.

It's shit like that which I hate the most in all games where no servers are used.
At the same time, it's a pain to try to shoot at someone with 1 or 2 bars. They just jump around like some flipbook animation making it hard to aim at them.

EazyB said:
What makes the K/D ratio "matter?"

If one wanted to they could camp and end games with 7-2 every single match and have a high K/D but that says nothing about how good they are. The only thing that would make K/D matter is if they restricted it to only Deathmatch games and objective games didn't attribute to it.

As it stands, K/D may be a rough indicator of a player's skill but even then it has to be taken with grain of salt.
I don't know. I usually bring +400 to +1400 in TDM, but sometimes even with +2000, my team lose because some idiot with 1-20. When that happens, I can't help but think that "could you just camp some where instead of constantly running into enemies iron sight without thinking?!" I've lost plenty of TDM matches to teams of 1.0 K/Ds thanks to those suicide players.

codecow

AltogetherAndrews said:
It would help if there was some penalty to getting yourself killed. As it is, you can rank high on the scoreboard even if you're a damned liability to your team.

I would love this, I hate guys who go 2-35 or whatever, it's lame. Especially when they're ranked decently let's say 25+. I even played in a match today where a 55 went 4-27 and I was just /shrug-ging how the hell do people play so bad and still want to play?

The fact that someone can play completely terrible (like everyone on my friends list) and still prestige multiple times and have fun with it is really the genius of the game. It's kind of like WoW in that even scrubs/baddies/terribads get welfare epics. So it is with CoD. If you suck, you can capture flags and still top the leaderboard on score.

codecow said:
I would love this, I hate guys who go 2-35 or whatever, it's lame. Especially when they're ranked decently let's say 25+. I even played in a match today where a 55 went 4-27 and I was just /shrug-ging how the hell do people play so bad and still want to play?

Sometimes you just have a bad game.

Ever had one of those games where every time you turn a corner you get shot from behind? You can easily go 1:3 in matches like that.

Or perhaps you're tooling around with a new weapon or loadout just to see what it's like; a SCAR user who tries the FAL is going to have some seriously bad games for a while.

divisionbyzorro said:
Sometimes you just have a bad game.

Ever had one of those games where every time you turn a corner you get shot from behind? You can easily go 1:3 in matches like that.

Or perhaps you're tooling around with a new weapon or loadout just to see what it's like; a SCAR user who tries the FAL is going to have some seriously bad games for a while.

And they would have to make the sacrifice. There's nothing wrong with having a penalty for it. We all have bad games, and it mostly happens when one or more dudes from the other team are better than me and/or other people on my team. And since we also experience curiously good games, it all evens out. Unless you're not very good, in which case you would probably suffer a penalty for it until you become better.

Insaniac

690 kills with the SPAS-12 and counting. Eat your heart out 1887 akimbo!

I have entered a zone with the SPAS. I don't care what my k/d is anymore I have fun regardless as long as I'm using my SPAS.

Meier

I got to 1,000 kills with the M4A1 before I prestiged and thought it would unlock an emblem or title.. no such luck. I guess none of the individual weapons result in bonuses when you finish off their challenges?

I'm using FAMAS now as my primary. I prefer it although it definitely can be risky since you can't completely spray with it.. occasionally I'd swear I should kill them and somehow it just doesn't work out.

Case said:
How can you tell?
One way to tell is, immediately when the game starts, press Select/Back to view the scoreboard. Here, you can see the connections. Whoever has 4 green bars while everyone else is connecting (and has less bars) is the host.

edit. Why you edited that post, I have no idea.

codecow

divisionbyzorro said:

Interesting, I have been using the SCAR this prestige, just unlocked the FAL (never used it) and went 18-5 on GW Dom on Underpass. Once I figured out it wasn't a one shot kill and started really pumping rounds into folks I found I loved it.

There is no excuse for 3-30 in my book.

jedimike said:

I'm sure this happens to a degree, but you can catch almost everyone but Scrambler's if you position them right. I can usually sprint past other's claymores because most don't realize the angle the blast shoots and factor in the delay after it trips.

One thing I do have to complain about the claymores is duds. I swear I've set claymores up and I'll hear it trip but no boom and then a knife in my back. Anyone know if this is an intentional design choice or I'm just hearing things?

codecow said:

The fact that someone can play completely terrible (like everyone on my friends list) and still prestige multiple times and have fun with it is really the genius of the game. It's kind of like WoW in that even scrubs/baddies/terribads get welfare epics. So it is with CoD. If you suck, you can capture flags and still top the leaderboard on score.

Just a thought on the high level/shit score, perhaps it was his buddy playing? I've had people question how I was such a high level(2nd prestige) when my friend, who'd never played, was on.

Yeef

codecow said:
Interesting, I have been using the SCAR this prestige, just unlocked the FAL (never used it) and went 18-5 on GW Dom on Underpass. Once I figured out it wasn't a one shot kill and started really pumping rounds into folks I found I loved it.

There is no excuse for 3-30 in my book.
Try the F2000 on underpass with a red dot sight. It's like playing as Stevie Wonder.

NYR

MODERN WARFARE BLUE BALLS

Getting to 10 kills, one kill away from your chopper gunner, only to get a shotgun blast to your back. Twice. In a row. Daaaaamn.

AltogetherAndrews said:
It would help if there was some penalty to getting yourself killed. As it is, you can rank high on the scoreboard even if you're a damned liability to your team.

In hardcore there is. Sometimes up to a 15 second respawn.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I told myself that when the new year started, I'd play some other games (huge backlog), but I just can't. Still too addicted. I can't stop now, especially since I've started to get better again. I went through two weeks where I only played two or three times and it fucked me up — finally getting my reaction time and aiming back up to speed.

Also, I'm pretty sure I killed a teammate with a care package tonight. I didn't think that could happen in non-hardcore playlists. :(

HappyDad

Neo Member
AltogetherAndrews said:
And they would have to make the sacrifice. There's nothing wrong with having a penalty for it. We all have bad games, and it mostly happens when one or more dudes from the other team are better than me and/or other people on my team. And since we also experience curiously good games, it all evens out. Unless you're not very good, in which case you would probably suffer a penalty for it until you become better.
Another thing I would bitch about. I've seen plenty of examples of guys doing their shit business that has nothing to do with the match. Sure, they don't take the match seriously and giggling while constantly getting killed, but the rest who's trying to overcome 400 pt and ends up losing by 100 pt because of those team can't help but feel betrayed.

I'm not taking this game overly serious, but still get pissed off by those who ruin the game for others. Part of reasons why I'm not playing MW2 any more.

aku:jiki

I randomly switched to my speed class that I haven't really used for like 50 levels or something and surprised myself by scoring two nukes in a row today!

First one was honestly too easy; I just flanked C on Highrise and lucked into the first 7 kills while I was getting the flag. Harrier got 5 right away and I got a CG that not only spawn-camped them, but did it twice and followed them when the spawn moved! Bumped my streak record to 38. :lol

Second was not as fun. We were losing on Rundown and I had to really work for the kills while trying to get flags, while they were sniper camping the superior A side. Finally got my CG but got shot down at 24. I nervously camped the house by C, a guy surprised me and I honestly just lucked out and twitched on the right stick and knifed him when I intended to aim and fire. :lol

First time I get a bunch of PM's calling me a hacker, asking me what new cheat I'm using and all that crap!

mr_boo

sw33tclyde said:
One thing I do have to complain about the claymores is duds. I swear I've set claymores up and I'll hear it trip but no boom and then a knife in my back. Anyone know if this is an intentional design choice or I'm just hearing things?
I'm guessing he/she had Lightweight equipped? That's that bane of my poor Claymores that I so masterfully place :p I run into more Lightweighters bypassing my Claymores than Scramblers.

Edit: Btw...a long long time ago, I think someone in this thread suggested Claymores on Wasteland - specifically planting them around corners (not talking about the central caves)...whoever suggested that - brilliant! It may take some time, but those Claymores are like guaranteed kills :D

Scarecrow

What I was asking before was about that one missile killstreak (I forget what it's called, but I think it's for 7 kills), not about calling in other air support to attack enemy air support. I've got to try it out and see if I can land that missile on someone's chopper or plane.

Insaniac said:
690 kills with the SPAS-12 and counting. Eat your heart out 1887 akimbo!

I have entered a zone with the SPAS. I don't care what my k/d is anymore I have fun regardless as long as I'm using my SPAS.

I hear that. It just feels and sounds so good when you lay waste to someone with the SPAS. Somehow, in the tunnels in that one open field map, I was able to wipe out almost four dudes w/ that gun as they were pumping shots into me. I got the Flatliner title out of it 'cause I was so close to dying the whole time :lol

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Scarecrow said:
What I was asking before was about that one missile killstreak (I forget what it's called, but I think it's for 7 kills), not about calling in other air support to attack enemy air support. I've got to try it out and see if I can land that missile on someone's chopper or plane.
The predator missile? Yes, you can use it to destroy all air support. I'm pretty sure it'll even take down pave lows, chopper gunners and AC-130s in one shot (which would otherwise require multiple rockets to be fired due to their chaff).

Top Bottom