• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

aku:jiki

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Firing off unsilenced weapons where they're boosting to draw foes to that area is probably your best bet.
I managed to hang around and annoy a couple of boosters until they decided to try to lose me and switch spots. I followed one around until he went close to an enemy mine that was aimed away, so I shot it and he died. :lol

I managed to fuckup a nuke booster pair once, on Afghan they were boosting at the cliff edge at the back, killed the guy allowing himself to be killed along with his tac insertion but his friend got me. So i respawn and go back after him, he desperately tried to kill me but no dice, got the sucker, so he rage quitted, forcing a host migration :lol

Also, this game is becoming a monumental pain in the arse to play in a party on the 360. 4 of us trying to play Ground War tonight, and we couldnt get a lag free game for shit. Heck, 1 game we got into had at minimum 10 host migrations......

My non-pc gaming friend started getting furious saying "For FUCK sake they should have just used dedicated servers, why the hell dont they ? Its like being offered a ferrari and saying nah im ok with my mini thanks" :lol

They really need to patch this system upto speed.

kaizoku said:
had probably my best COD day ever today. Either its good to have breaks from the game or playing in the daytime means I avoid Americans so the game is fairer for me and my connection. My K/D ratio in daytime hours is like 2.0 and at night time its like 0.5 to 1.0. infuriating.
I took about a week off from the game and I was pretty terrible coming back. Although all the noob toobers and campers pissed me off enough that I decided to make a knife class and start annoying others.

Ecto311

Any kind of ETA on a patch for matchmaking on the 360? I tried to play a few games tonight with 2 other people and it was a joke. One game started in the middle of some ones private match - wasn't even TDM. One I was kicked out but you could still hear me. The voice indicator was blinking for a totally different player that was still in the match when I spoke. One game had lag so bad my character was moving around on his own. I would shoot and my gun almost never ran out of ammo but it also did no damage when it did connect.

I could only imagine what a large TDM or similar game would be like when the smaller games are almost impossible to get into. I think we might take a break from this turd until something happens in the form of a patch. Also danger close with grenade launcher is awesome.

HappyDad

Neo Member
kaizoku said:
I had probably my best COD day ever today. Either its good to have breaks from the game or playing in the daytime means I avoid Americans so the game is fairer for me and my connection. My K/D ratio in daytime hours is like 2.0 and at night time its like 0.5 to 1.0. infuriating.
Usually the crowd playing late at night are more saturated with skilled players. Weekend afternoon is still a cake walk with so many easy kills when I tried this afternoon.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Just experienced my first XBL hack. Dude nuked us in a god damn domination match in Afghan.:lol Game was 32-32 at the end. He got 32 kills, the most anyone else on his team had was 6. I died maybe 4 times, had no idea that it was even possible to do that in the first two minutes. He had no mic, so he never owned up to just fucking the game for everyone.

Swag

Picked this up earlier in the week, been playing the shit out of TDM. I never get on Rust which is my favorite map, played it like 3-4 times in 16 hours of play time.

HappyDad said:
The dude is a typical camper with some tricks with claymore. You can rack up easy kills if you're little creative with claymore, since people don't get that not all campers are helpless noobs who have no clue what's going on.

Sometimes half my kills come from Claymores. You just got to know where to place them. Easily the best Equipment perk in the game and has been since COD4. I've had dudes so dumb that they hit the same claymore over and over and over again. I'm just killing them, running over their body and picking up new ones with Scavenger and then planting it again in the same spot and ding... another idiot death. Rinse and repeat.

so there is something new now. in a private match, there is a new mode called 'global thermonuclear war.' the music and voices are real slow but you move waaay fast and the point of the game is to capture one place to get a nuke and win. that shit was crazy

Rayme

salva said:
so there is something new now. in a private match, there is a new mode called 'global thermonuclear war.' the music and voices are real slow but you move waaay fast and the point of the game is to capture one place to get a nuke and win. that shit was crazy
Which platform? The mode (GTNW) is an unfinished gametype, left in the MP game scripts, but "disabled". People have discovered that they can hack some variables in to enable it. Which isn't terrible, but it IS semi-emberassing to have your half-finished, untested mode out for all to see. Maybe it'll get updated and turned on in a future patch, maybe not.

That slowmo you're seeing is something else, and unrelated to GTNW. Hacked private match servers are able to set the "timescale" variable. Setting it high makes everything fast (like the "Ragtime Warfare" cheat in MW1's SP), but setting it low does the opposite.

You shouldn't be seeing any of this in public games. That'd be bad! Damn viral ice skating.

azureowl

HappyDad said:
The dude is a typical camper with some tricks with claymore. You can rack up easy kills if you're little creative with claymore, since people don't get that not all campers are helpless noobs who have no clue what's going on.

Seems to play normal to me. For Search and Destroy.

Rayme said:
Which platform? The mode (GTNW) is an unfinished gametype, left in the MP game scripts, but "disabled". People have discovered that they can hack some variables in to enable it. Which isn't terrible, but it IS semi-emberassing to have your half-finished, untested mode out for all to see. Maybe it'll get updated and turned on in a future patch, maybe not.

That slowmo you're seeing is something else, and unrelated to GTNW. Hacked private match servers are able to set the "timescale" variable. Setting it high makes everything fast (like the "Ragtime Warfare" cheat in MW1's SP), but setting it low does the opposite.

You shouldn't be seeing any of this in public games. That'd be bad! Damn viral ice skating.
It was on 360. How do you know know so much About it?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
If you want to stop nuke boosting in FFA and stuff. Make a class with marathon, lightweight, and sitrep. Look for that stupid tactical insertion and throw a semtex at their ass

Rayme said:

Always interesting to hear beta stuff :D

corkscrewblow said:
Just got two nukes in a row, on TDM too! :lol

oh shit and it boosted my k/d to 2.99

Nice! Seems like most GAFFers have descent k/d. Mine sucks its like .9 or something. So I've encountered people that get nukes very early in the match and use them. It pissed off everyone. I understand people want to score points and what not, but is it really bad game edicate to do that. I mean the point is to win right? So if you get a nuke why not use it. On the flip side I've seen people get nukes and a whole team with literally back out the match connection so it doesn't go off. This seems shitty. So what's the deal?

gobassgo

Banned
Has there been any word on adding new hardcore modes? or is that going to be an impossibility due to balancing issues?

I know WAW had hardcore variants on all of the gametypes. Don't know how well they played though to be honest.

If I manage to get a Nuke, you can bet your ass I'll use it right away. Damned if I'm risking being booted out of the game before using it due to somebody's shitty connection.

-viper-

Banned
Rayme said:

You work at IW?

Then PLEASE increase the point limit in TDM to 12k or something. 7500 is way too low. Games end in a flash.

Rayme said:

Didn't you guys learn from the "Hot Coffee" hoopla to fully remove any and all instances of stuff that you cut from your game? You have to assume that the average 14 year old with nothing better to do with his time is going to try to prove his leet haxor skillz and dig into your shit. That was a poor decision on whomever decided to leave that in there if it was indeed cut from the game.

gobassgo said:
Has there been any word on adding new hardcore modes? or is that going to be an impossibility due to balancing issues?

I would LOVE a Mercenary hardcore TDM mode for when I want to play but no one is on and I don't want to be paired against groups of 6 guys all in the same group.

DarkJC

OldJadedGamer said:
Didn't you guys learn from the "Hot Coffee" hoopla to fully remove any and all instances of stuff that you cut from your game? You have to assume that the average 14 year old with nothing better to do with his time is going to try to prove his leet haxor skillz and dig into your shit. That was a poor decision on whomever decided to leave that in there if it was indeed cut from the game.

Easier said than done. Do you honestly think they haven't thought of something like that already? Removing it is much much more work than just leaving it in and unused.

Everybody uses Cold Blooded and a Silencer. Everybody plays "defensively". Honestly, Hardcore is really boring. But for actual tips

You can see where your teammates are on the map by bringing up the option menu or whatever; that map will still be shown.

Don't bother with UAV. It will mess you up more than it will do good since everyone uses Cold Blooded. You might see one or two people on UAV if you're lucky.

If you play Hardcore i'd recommend doing Hardcore Headquarters as that sort of forces people out of playing so defensively.

Oh and the FAL is a really good gun in Hardcore. The M21 is the best sniper, and Riot Shield will kill people in 1 hit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
cutebabyelephant said:
Don't bother with UAV. It will mess you up more than it will do good since everyone uses Cold Blooded. You might see one or two people on UAV if you're lucky.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol lolwutpear.jpg

Hardcore HQ + UAV = numerous idiots that do not have cold-blooded up. Sorry, but you're wrong. It depends on the playgroup but 9/10 of the time you'll get a idiot or five that think running around without that perk on is okay because the "UAV ISN'T ONLINE."

Also: Dying while controlling a killstreak + not having that count to the "previous killstreak while you're alive" is bullshit. 9/10 of the time I'd have a nuke but because of idiot public teammates someone wises up, watches the killcam and can escape my chopper gunner area. So stupid.

Rayme said:

Patch it back in. But it needs to (going by Youtube videos) solve the massive grenade launcher/frag/semtex spam that goes on. Basically the mode looks like Headquarters, but without the "moving hill."

I think a good compromise would be a) having captured "nukes" count to "End Game"/killstreak reward (since it basically nukes the player zone), BUT have the players capture "nukes"/HQ that aren't activated. After the "capture"/time limit ALL players that captured the HQ/nukes get multiple nuke challenge counts.

It'd stop nuke boosters (at least I think it would) plus solve the harrier/chopper gunner/nuke! runs that people do for this challenge.

(Or at least it would get me off my rage of getting chopper gunner, getting to 20-23 and having some idiot kill me before I hit 24, thereby the rest of my chopper gunner doesn't count to the nuke)

And if you do work for Infinity Ward: Classic Map pack that leaked info (Basically CoD4 maps) should hit PS3 day and date with the "new map pack"/classic map-pack that MS bought. Frankly, I hate the majority of MW2 default maps and (unless these maps release sometime soon + fixing insane spawn rape + balance tweaks) you can definitely count me out of playing the game once Bad Company 2 comes out.

(Oh, and fix the netcode on PS3, please? I've been in green-bar games only to suddenly lag like hell. Possible lagswitches, but still. Oh, and have called in nukes count despite butthurt crybabies that pull the plug, please? It's so fucking stupid to get a nuke, call it in to have someone pull the plug and have that nuke lost/not count)

gbovo

ZeroRay said:
Over 5 million at this point most likely.
I'm thinking over 6 million cause someone on my friends list is currently ranked at 6.01 million on the leaderboards. I was just curious what the total number is?

womfalcs3

Banned
gbovo said:
I'm thinking over 6 million cause someone on my friends list is currently ranked at 6.01 million on the leaderboards. I was just curious what the total number is?

As of a few days ago when I last looked at it, a friend of mine with one kill was ranked 6.4 millionth.

Mileena

Banned
gobassgo said:

I know WAW had hardcore variants on all of the gametypes. Don't know how well they played though to be honest.
I'd really like a hardcore Demolition.
TheSeks said:
(Oh, and fix the netcode on PS3, please? I've been in green-bar games only to suddenly lag like hell.
and this as well. Game feels broken on PS3 compared to 360.

M_A_C

corkscrewblow said:
and this as well. Game feels broken on PS3 compared to 360.

On PS3 I've never been in a game that was < 80 ping and most of the time it's >100.

360 there are always like 20 games < 50 it tries to put me in.

dorkimoe

cameltoe said:
started playing CTF yesterday....really enjoying this mode. Never cared for it in earlier cod's but here I like it.

Heres a vid from last night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2EhhrUZ090

i really like demolition (is that when there is 1 bomb and each team can pick it up and plant it?) in overtime mode, since there are no respawns. makes people stop treating the game like quake and actually use tactics

dorkimoe

HappyDad said:

im a newb but how is he getting 500xp per kill?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
TheSeks said:
Frankly, I hate the majority of MW2 default maps and (unless these maps release sometime soon + fixing insane spawn rape + balance tweaks) you can definitely count me out of playing the game once Bad Company 2 comes out.

Bad Company 2 :lol

I'm sure IW is shaking in their boots at your ultimatum.

Weren't you the one that said you had inside info on MW2 being built on "just" a modified Quake 3 Arena engine?

Do tell.

Ecto311

I seen that there is someone from IW that posts and reads here. Can they explain how to keep a group of 2 or more together for more than one match? We get a game and then after its a clusterfuck to get back into a game together. I understand that this game made 1billion dollars. Maybe they can get someone from bungie to code the networking shit.. Please.

bardia

dorkimoe said:
i really like demolition (is that when there is 1 bomb and each team can pick it up and plant it?) in overtime mode, since there are no respawns. makes people stop treating the game like quake and actually use tactics

Play Search and Destroy

aku:jiki

Ecto311 said:
I seen that there is someone from IW that posts and reads here. Can they explain how to keep a group of 2 or more together for more than one match? We get a game and then after its a clusterfuck to get back into a game together. I understand that this game made 1billion dollars. Maybe they can get someone from bungie to code the networking shit.. Please.
Oh, come on dude. Let the man surf the forums in peace. He isn't personally responsible for all the problems.

TheSeks said:
Also: Dying while controlling a killstreak + not having that count to the "previous killstreak while you're alive" is bullshit. 9/10 of the time I'd have a nuke but because of idiot public teammates someone wises up, watches the killcam and can escape my chopper gunner area. So stupid.
I don't know what you mean by the second part, but I strongly disagree with the first.

Your streak should definitely die if someone outsmarts you and finds you before you're done, that's part of the risk/reward. I even think that if you can find the guy piloting air support and you kill him before he's done, that should cut him off. His character isn't controlling the laptop anymore and that would be a fair way for players who value their secondary too much to carry a Stinger to stop a Chopper Gunner.

Top Bottom