• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Willeth

divisionbyzorro said:
That's exactly my problem with it. It's changing the entire face of the game for the worse because everybody is using it these days.

On another note: do Ninja Pro and SitRep pro cancel each other out so that you hear normal footsteps? Or do you still hear nothing?
Yeah, a Sitrep Pro user can hear a Ninja Pro user as normal.

Mr. B Natural said:
and my secondary weapon will shoot you and kill you with 1 shot from the hip with an very very forgiving spray while you're busy hitting me 3 times with your inaccurate unreliable smg. Not only that but I still have a mid-long rage primary weapon too so I can pick you off there too. Either way it's lose lose for you. The knife class also makes smgs obsolete.
The only thing smgs give you is faster speed, which would have been great in cod4, but this game is a slower game thanks to the lethal power of weapons this time around and the only thing speed is going to get you against a halfway skilled team is in trouble sooner.

I don't know why you think this game has a slower pace than before; I thought it was pretty clearly a much faster game, one that caters to speed classes more than anything else.

Ecto311 said:
You know how many long range guys I run up to with marathon, light weight, smg and either shoot or knife? The numbers are never high for a sniper or long range guy compared to the runners. I have gone head to head with snipers tons of times and they always try and use the sniper rifle as a shotgun and fail. Long range has its place but when I can move quickly as fast as that kit or if i get a care package marker, shit it's over.

Yeah, if you use that care package glitch then you have a chance...but you're glitching. Congrats.

And yes, you can kill idiot snipers that suck by running around and don't switch to their secondary that is more lethal than your primary. Congrats

None of what you mentioned counters what I was saying - my secondary is more lethal than your primary at short range. I hear you coming, you don't hear me coming (i'm not moving). I don't have to aim. I don't have to hit you more than once. I will kill you 75% of the time and that's if I don't kill you before you get in range with my mid-long range weapon and you get by my claymore.

Mr. B Natural said:
Yeah, if you use that care package glitch then you have a chance...but you're glitching. Congrats.

And yes, you can kill idiot snipers that suck by running around and don't switch to their secondary that is more lethal than your primary. Congrats

None of what you mentioned counters what I was saying - my secondary is more lethal than your primary at short range. I hear you coming, you don't hear me coming (i'm not moving). I don't have to aim. I don't have to hit you more than once. I will kill you 75% of the time and that's if I don't kill you before you get in range with my mid-long range weapon and you get by my claymore.

Clearly you are an invulnerable badass. I will obviously defer to your superior judgement. In fact, when I see you, I'll just kneel down and let you knife me since death by your hands is inevitable anyway.

divisionbyzorro said:
I don't know why you think this game has a slower pace than before; I thought it was pretty clearly a much faster game, one that caters to speed classes more than anything else.

The ONLY thing that makes this game feel faster is that there are always killstreaks going on...and the higher killstreaks occur mostly because people like me camp and actually survive long enough to get them.

Watch two good teams play deathmatch and you'll probably have a game that runs out of time before either one can get 7500. Hardcore is worse. With OMA and killstreaks you can't just run around like an idiot like you can before. Every gun is as lethal as the notorious m16 of cod4. There are WAY too many nice camp spots in this game and it's hard to see someone that isn't moving thanks to the maps being overly cluttered. The "aggressor" no longer has super-lethal accurate frags to take out the camper. To take out the camper this time around you almost always have to pop your head out and out shoot them. Your frags don't reach and won't kill. Flashbangs and stuns only act as "hey, look over here" tools and are completely unreliable. They can only really be relied on taking out claymores briefly Grenade launchers are your best bet but most good camp spots are up high away from walls. Again, you'll have better luck just popping your head out and taking the shot...which is what the camper wants you to do.

You can "lock down" 90% of these maps with 3 people. It's like Bog and that L shaped one in cod4. Favela and Scrapyard being the only exception I can think of and that's arguable. It's sad that maps have to get as windy and weird as favela to compensate for this camp-favored game.

The whole freggin concept of demolition is that the defenders can lock down two spots at one time for 5 minutes straight and it's not even that hard. People bitched about random grenades because they wanted to camp and not get caught, well, now they have their wish. I don't mind, I do great most games, but I feel dirty doing it and it really isn't all that entertaining because of it. I don't feel like I'm outsmarting/outplaying anyone like I did in cod4. I feel dirty.
Played cod4 for a full year non-stop. Gonna probably play mw2 for a few more weeks and put it down.

Roxas

Does anyone know that if you join a game as it is about to end and you are on the losing team (or in FFA), does it count as a loss? 9 times out of 10 when i look for a game im put in right at the end and i'd be pissed if it counts as a loss.

Eric WK

Roxas said:
Does anyone know that if you join a game as it is about to end and you are on the losing team (or in FFA), does it count as a loss? 9 times out of 10 when i look for a game im put in right at the end and i'd be pissed if it counts as a loss.

It counts.

Sigh. I'm so close to not playing this for a few months. Never before have I wanted to smash my controller through my Sony Bravia so fucking hard.

Today was the worst day for the amount of WTF kills against me. Maybe it's lag (with 4 green bars), maybe I shouldn't trust the replay, but Jesus, when people kill you by jumping then going straight to prone, all whilst shooting and dodging your bullets at the same time, it ruins the experience for me.

fp36eo.jpg

Here's my suggestion for fixing the late-join-loss problem:

1) If you join a match that's been decided already, regardless of which side you're on, you should be put into a "no contest" situation. Regardless of win or loss, it won't affect your ratio, and you'll be given a "good sport" experience bonus for playing along.

2) If you quit a match, you should suffer a greater penalty than just a hit to your ratio. You should incur XP Debt, a concept MMO players should be familiar with. You don't actually lose experience; you incur debt which you have to pay back before you can continue leveling up. Attachments and challenges can still be unlocked, but the rewards (titles, emblems, new attachments) are locked until your debt is erased.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Noob tubers, last standers and "hides in random ass fucking places" guy can all go to hell.

THEY CAN ALL GO TO HELL!!!

RubxQub said:
Noob tubers, last standers and "hides in random ass fucking places" guy can all go to hell.

THEY CAN ALL GO TO HELL!!!

I played a couple of minutes ago. Was losing and getting killed left and right.
Started to use the noob tube plus scavenger pro and owned everyone...

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Graf Nudu said:
I played a couple of minutes ago. Was losing and getting killed left and right.
Started to use the noob tube plus scavenger pro and owned everyone...
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! :lol

I hope to God IW isn't done patching this bitch.

divisionbyzorro said:
Clearly you are an invulnerable badass. I will obviously defer to your superior judgement. In fact, when I see you, I'll just kneel down and let you knife me since death by your hands is inevitable anyway.

The guys entire argument consisted of saying that he uses the care package glitch to run around (which doesn't make sense cause that would be a knife class...not an smg class) and win and also said that he takes out snipers that use their snipers in close range.

How was I suppose to respond to that? Shotguns and knifes > SMGS at close range. So, why bother sacrificing a mid-range gun for a inferior gun to what you already have? That's the question.

And I'm not badass. It's not skill. It's just locking down maps which is WAY too easy in this game. It should take skill on my team's part but it really doesn't...That's the freggin point I'm making. It ruins a lot of gametypes and makes the game feel cheap or frustrating...depending on which side of the coin you're on. Most domination/demolition games too often decided within the first minutes and deathmatch games become a question of which side you're spawned on - terminal, estate, karachi, underpass, quarry, skidrow can easily be locked down especially if you get the "good spawn". Rundown, Highrise, Invasion, Derail and even Rust are all overly camp friendly on both sides. That leaves only a few maps that aren't overly camp friendly-

1. Favela which is a mess design wise, but somehow it works. It's a stupid map but it does confront the issues I have with the balance of this game.
2, Afghan which I think is a good map because you can lock it down, but if you try you are locked in a small space which makes you vulnerable. You can lock this map down but it actually involves pushing way beyond your spawn. It takes team work and skill to do so in this map.
3. Subbase because the spawning is a complete mess. If the spawning wasn't crap I'm sure it too would be very camp friendly considering it follows the same "3 pathway" structure you see a lot in this game.
4. Scrapyard - it's too small to camp. It plays like what rust was trying to be - cluster crazy

Regardless of map design, the game design is still camp friendly...but as I found the maps only help you to camp for the win. Anyone not camping has the confront both the game's design and the majority of maps. I can be done but your odds are way out of your favor. Generally it can only be done to random awful teams, in which camping works even better against anyway. Sooner or later a team of people that play together semi-often will get the memo.

Fugu

Mr. B Natural said:
and my secondary weapon will shoot you and kill you with 1 shot from the hip with an very very forgiving spray while you're busy hitting me 3 times with your inaccurate unreliable smg. Not only that but I still have a mid-long rage primary weapon too so I can pick you off there too. Either way it's lose lose for you. The knife class also makes smgs obsolete.
The only thing smgs give you is faster speed, which would have been great in cod4, but this game is a slower game thanks to the lethal power of weapons this time around and the only thing speed is going to get you against a halfway skilled team is in trouble sooner.
I'm thinking you're using an SMG wrong. For starters, SMGs are not inaccurate. At all. Recoil is only a factor if you're trying to shoot someone at long range and you're trying to shoot too fast (you *cannot* squeeze the trigger or you will hit everything around what you want to shoot).

Every SMG* is powerful at midrange and effective at long range if you're familiar with the gun (I can and regularly do snipe with the P90). SMGs are also the only guns that take silencers without a steep penalty (assault rifles get their range chopped up fairly substantially, snipers just flat-out lose 20 damage, LMGs lose 10 damage). With stopping power, their damage is substantial too: Every SMG can kill in three body shots or less at short-midrange (UMP does 35-40, MP5 does 20-40, Vector does 22-25, P90 does 20-30, MU does 20-30) with the UMP and the MP5 capable of killing in two with just body shots. No sidearm does all of that.
While it seems like a mishmash of different attributes, what they combine together to create a gun effective at any range (more effective in short than an LMG or an assault rifle and somewhat less effective at long than both) with a silencer, giving you the ability to take out large groups of players at any range should you be smart enough not to actually be seen.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Am I the only one that liked CoD4's matchmaking better?

I feel like MW2's matchmaking is slower and often puts me into laggy matches. Many times I'll start searching and the matchmaking gets stuck at "We need to find 6 more players" or "trying to merge our lobby with another"

This really makes me rage some times

2002qfs.jpg

aku:jiki

Mr. B Natural said:
(which doesn't make sense cause that would be a knife class...not an smg class)
What? An SMG class IS a knife class. You use the speed of the equipped SMG to knife people faster. Nobody runs around and knives people with an LMG primary or something. :lol

Mr. B Natural said:

How is that a glitch? I think some convoluted method is involved in most glitches. If IW didn't want it there they could remove it easily. I'm sure we are way past the point of them not knowing about it. Not that I use this method personally, just sayin 's all (OK i use it for CTF)

Graf Nudu said:
Well it's just the way it is. MW2 doesn't give enough credit to players who try to play reasonable and in favor of their team. You just have to be an egomaniac..

Yep, I would always move around the map using a Fal + Silencer + Red Dot, it was great, now I'm forced to use a noob tube because that is the only thing people use anymore. Most old tactics don't work at all anymore. :(

Ecto311

Mr. B Natural said:

I said the care package makes you even that much faster, but is almost never needed with just lightweight, marathon and light weapons.

When a sniper is on the outside of a level and sitting still ( that you said you were, also known as camping ) it makes it so easy. You do know that you can outrun a claymore very easily. By the time you hear me I am already too close for you to drop out of zoom, switch weapons and try and kill me. Its a shitty tactic but it works too often. With comments like this it also validates the "Sniping in online shooters is such a bitch move" thread. I can really see the reason to play when you sit still and wait for people to come in range/view.

divisionbyzorro said:
That's exactly my problem with it. It's changing the entire face of the game for the worse because everybody is using it these days.

On another note: do Ninja Pro and SitRep pro cancel each other out so that you hear normal footsteps? Or do you still hear nothing?

I'm pretty sure you hear nothing. When I was testing sitrep pro, I was still getting knifed in the back with someone with ninja pro and I didn't hear any footsteps at all.

Rawr! I just played a Domination match against a FULL team of corner campers. They had one guy who moved at all, and he only moved between camping spots. That was the most frustrating match I've ever played, I think. Every single time you saw an enemy player, he was prone in some annoying black corner or something. The veteran campers even told the level 12's to do it too! They completely disregarded the flags 100% and we won like 200-1. Really, really fucking annoying match. :mad:

huacst21 said:
I'm pretty sure you hear nothing. When I was testing sitrep pro, I was still getting knifed in the back with someone with ninja pro and I didn't hear any footsteps at all.
Footsteps just lag out sometimes, SitRep Pro or not. If the guy is lagging, his sounds will of course be as laggy as everything else he does. Especially runners end up being too fast for the game; by the time the call to footstep sounds has made it through the internets to your ears, he's in your face with the knife.

aku:jiki said:
Rawr! I just played a Domination match against a FULL team of corner campers. They had one guy who moved at all, and he only moved between camping spots. That was the most frustrating match I've ever played, I think. Every single time you saw an enemy player, he was prone in some annoying black corner or something. The veteran campers even told the level 12's to do it too! They completely disregarded the flags 100% and we won like 200-1. Really, really fucking annoying match. :mad:

Footsteps just lag out sometimes, SitRep Pro or not. If the guy is lagging, his sounds will of course be as laggy as everything else he does. Especially runners end up being too fast for the game; by the time the call to footstep sounds has made it through the internets to your ears, he's in your face with the knife.

Ha ok that makes sense, thank you.

Ecto311 said:
You know how many long range guys I run up to with marathon, light weight, smg and either shoot or knife? The numbers are never high for a sniper or long range guy compared to the runners. I have gone head to head with snipers tons of times and they always try and use the sniper rifle as a shotgun and fail. Long range has its place but when I can move quickly as fast as that kit or if i get a care package marker, shit it's over.

I beg to differ. I bet most snipers use steady aim. 2/3 times when i come face to face with a guy with an assault rifle I'll get a hipfire 50cal kill. I cannot say the same for shotgun enemies though.:lol BTW carepackage runners are the worst people in the game.

Roxas said:
:\

Fucking hell that sucks
If you are playing MW2 seriously you are playing it wrong, for all the time I have spent with the game online (day or so total) I would never want to play this game seriously for a few reasons like win/loss counts even if you join a mid-game server, people will partner up to get a nuke or harrier by killing each other, noob tubing is just dumb and OP currently with OMA or scavenger, no dedicated servers so ping is a big factor, the host will still get zero lag just like gears of war.

And then there is a huge list of untested or broken glitches and exploits.

MW2 seems to be made just to have good fun and a laugh when you play online, like a war for the casual.

Mileena

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
and my secondary weapon will shoot you and kill you with 1 shot from the hip with an very very forgiving spray while you're busy hitting me 3 times with your inaccurate unreliable smg. Not only that but I still have a mid-long rage primary weapon too so I can pick you off there too. Either way it's lose lose for you.
I guarantee I'd destroy you both long and close range with a UMP. Don't believe me? Try me.

Diablohead said:
If you are playing MW2 seriously you are playing it wrong, for all the time I have spent with the game online (day or so total) I would never want to play this game seriously for a few reasons like win/loss counts even if you join a mid-game server, people will partner up to get a nuke or harrier by killing each other, noob tubing is just dumb and OP currently with OMA or scavenger, no dedicated servers so ping is a big factor, the host will still get zero lag just like gears of war.

And then there is a huge list of untested or broken glitches and exploits.

MW2 seems to be made just to have good fun and a laugh when you play online, like a war for the casual.

I think you underestimate the game. It still needs some balance tweaks, but if you team up with some decent players, it's totally possible to take this game seriously and enjoy it.

Acidote

Well, the game burned the last bit of it's appeal to me. I'm tired of all the matchmaking issues and yellow connections. Won't be playing for a few days at least. Hopefully the will have fixed some of the other problems by then.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Attention, people who still use Scrambler: thank you.

Az

Ok guys can't play this shit anymore by myself, no way. Love playing domination and I have guys run by me while I am trying to recover A on Wasteland. People just spam the bunker in the center and don't give a fuck about objectives. I'm on PS3 someone add me and lets get some games going.

Also the lag on PS3 has been horrible in the last few days.

gibration

TheAzRim said:
Ok guys can't play this shit anymore by myself, no way. Love playing domination and I have guys run by me while I am trying to recover A on Wasteland. People just spam the bunker in the center and don't give a fuck about objectives. I'm on PS3 someone add me and lets get some games going.

Also the lag on PS3 has been horrible in the last few days.
I'll add you. PSN ID: gibration
Just invite me anytime you see me on MW2 because if you ever see me playing another game, chances are that it's because I have a bad connection at that time.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
tarius1210 said:
So what's the best mode to get SitRep Pro? It's the only perk that I need to get ''Pro'' with.

Same here. Demolition and Headquarters usually have a few claymores and tactical insertions scattered about.

adriano999 said:
"SitRep Pro and Ninja Pro do not cancel out. Ninja Pro users will only sound slightly louder when using SitRep Pro. " http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/SitRep :D
That definition is pretty weird. How do they define "slightly louder" when Ninja Pro means you're dead silent? "Slightly louder" than making no sound at all must mean they make sound, and if they make sound, Ninja Pro is cancelled out...

divisionbyzorro said:
I would argue the opposite. SMGs are good, but akimbo makes them horrible. They're like shittier, noisier, less powerful shotguns.
The more I play my speed class, the more I hate SMGs. For some reason, I can't even win CQC battles with them! I finally found the UMP tolerable by putting a silencer on it though. Finally some accuracy!

My akimbo vectors disagree.
My Striker disagrees with your Vectors, as my Striker keeps on taking the whole enemy team out while your Vectors had to reload and got you killed after just 2 enemies.

Edit: Question for Rubx or anyone else who plays with a headset; how's the sound when the shit really hits the fan? Can you guys make out movement around you even when there's an AC and a Harrier causing havoc?

corkscrewblow said:
I guarantee I'd destroy you both long and close range with a UMP. Don't believe me? Try me.

It's probably true your stats are sick, impressive though. I'm struggling to drag my KDR up above 1 and my accuracy is horrible a little above 14. But I'm actually pretty decent at the game, I use a P90 exclusively usually, which is probably why my accuracy sucks and I stick to one set of perks and run and gun. If I started camping I could bring it up but I have no desire to camp. I wish the friggin map packs would come out already. BTW why did you quit playing on 360?

jedimike

KittyKittyBangBang said:
these idiots, they may as well have a big megaphone and shout "Immmm a cummmmin" :lol

Come on now... the game encourages people to use different perks. I'm currently trying to pro sitrep. It's certainly not my favorite or preferred perk, but I want the title/emblem/points. I haven't done scrambler yet, but I know I will.

People don't always choose weapons, perks, and killstreaks for strategic reasons.

Hyunkel6

I finally found the UMP tolerable by putting a silencer on it though. Finally some accuracy!
Wait, putting silencers on weapons increase accuracy? Maybe that's why I do better with a silenced SCAR. I was also under the impression that I had less recoil when I put a silencer on it.

jedimike said:
Come on now... the game encourages people to use different perks. I'm currently trying to pro sitrep. It's certainly not my favorite or preferred perk, but I want the title/emblem/points. I haven't done scrambler yet, but I know I will.

People don't always choose weapons, perks, and killstreaks for strategic reasons.
To add to that, I've noticed that some people pull Scrambler off now. It used to be a free kill, but if a decent runner has Scrambler you're probably fucked. He's dashed around 15 rooms by the time you've checked one and suddenly he's in your back with the knife.

Wait, putting silencers on weapons increase accuracy? Maybe that's why I do better with a silenced SCAR. I was also under the impression that I had less recoil when I put a silencer on it.
Yes, they provide less recoil, which means improved accuracy. For me, it means the UMP doesn't go all over the place if I need to spray and since I run and gun like I'm on meth, I need to spray all the time. :lol

Yeef

That definition is pretty weird. How do they define "slightly louder" when Ninja Pro means you're dead silent? "Slightly louder" than making no sound at all must mean they make sound, and if they make sound, Ninja Pro is cancelled out...
Ninja Pro doesn't make you completely silent, just reduces the sound you make down to 1/4th the normal volume. SitRep pro increases the sound enemies make to 4x their volume. They cancel each other out, but all of the people running around WITHOUT Ninja Pro on the other team will probably be loud enough that you won't be able to make out the Ninja people anyway. Then there's the lag and proximity issues as well.

Edit: Question for Rubx or anyone else who plays with a headset; how's the sound when the shit really hits the fan? Can you guys make out movement around you even when there's an AC and a Harrier causing havoc?
I use a pair of Sennheisser 130s when i play and you some of the killstreaks do make it a lot harder to make out the sound the infantry makes and, more importantly, the direction it's coming from. Harriers aren't too much of a problem. I'd say Stealth bombers and AC130s are the worst, but they're both over relatively quickly, so it's not a huge issue.

Yeef said:
Ninja Pro doesn't make you completely silent, just reduces the sound you make down to 1/4th the normal volume. SitRep pro increases the sound enemies make to 4x their volume. They cancel each other out, but all of the people running around WITHOUT Ninja Pro on the other team will probably be loud enough that you won't be able to make out the Ninja people anyway. Then there's the lag and proximity issues as well.

I use a pair of Sennheisser 130s when i play and you some of the killstreaks do make it a lot harder to make out the sound the infantry makes and, more importantly, the direction it's coming from. Harriers aren't too much of a problem. I'd say Stealth bombers and AC130s are the worst, but they're both over relatively quickly, so it's not a huge issue.

Ninja Pro does make you dead silent.

Top Bottom