• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Mileena

Banned
Of course. I don't even know how people can not use SP in non-hardcore modes. I was getting one hit kills with the Striker most of the time too, which is just amazing. Definitely my new secondary for the time being.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Xux said:
I bought a pair a couple weeks ago and love'em. Great sound quality (the feedback that people mention in the online reviews is there but unnoticeable when the game sounds come in), good bass, and my friends say that I'm the clearest sounding when we play. Kinda pricey, I guess, but, for the quality, convenience, and niche it fulfills, I think its almost worth it.

Here's the only alternative I could find.

Thanks...:D

kitch9

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
Of course. I don't even know how people can not use SP in non-hardcore modes. I was getting one hit kills with the Striker most of the time too, which is just amazing. Definitely my new secondary for the time being.

SP. becomes a pain in the ass if the other team is spamming air support

mbmonk said:
I remember people arguing over multiple pages in this thread that the care package speed boost was legit and not a bug..... Yea.. guess that argument is settled.

It can be unbalanced without being a bug. The original 1887s weren't bugged, but they still needed to be fixed.

mbmonk

divisionbyzorro said:
It can be unbalanced without being a bug. The original 1887s weren't bugged, but they still needed to be fixed.

Lol. I knew this type of post was coming.

To clarify... People were making the case that the care package grenade was MEANT to make you faster, and came up with arguments to rationalize it. I am a simple minded fool that thought the purpose of the care package grenade was to call in an actual care package.. instead of making you Speedy Gonzales w/ a knife. I feel as if marathon, Lightwieght, Command, with tactical knife already had that gameplay angle covered.

But yea, I am aware of that there is a difference between bugged and unbalanced. I guess I mispoke...err mist typed.. er miscommunicated.

mbmonk said:
To clarify... People were making the case that the care package grenade was MEANT to make you faster, and came up with arguments to rationalize it. I am a simple minded fool that thought the purpose of the care package grenade was to call in an actual care package.. instead of making you Speedy Gonzales w/ a knife. I feel as if marathon, Lightwieght, Command, with tactical knife already had that gameplay angle covered.

I used to think that the Care Package sprint wasn't a big deal. I mean, you can't shoot anybody, so you're totally screwed if they catch you first. And in my experience, care package runners don't have fantastic ratios; they just have a tendency to wreak a lot of havoc. But a couple days ago I ran into a couple guys exclusively using that tactic, and I have to admit - I'm totally not okay with it anymore :lol

Personally, I think the appropriate fix would be to set it so that if you're holding a sentry, package, or e-drop marker, and you get killed, you drop the marker and it goes off. I always felt that the reason for the marker speed boost was to help you get to a good spot to drop it faster; this fix would let you keep that benefit without encouraging the marker-runner behavior.

For some reason, the matchmaking always puts the tards on my team. I hopped into a Ground War game last night with a low-level friend. We were playing GW Domination on Underpass. Not too far into the game, an enemy Harrier showed up. I was working on a streak and didn't want to suicide just to take down the Harrier, so I huddled in the building at Alpha, with the Harrier hovering overhead, and hoped that someone on my team would shoot it down.

I looked out the window, and saw some dude standing out in the open staring up at the Harrier. Then he emptied two full clips of his FAL into the Harrier. The Harrier finally decided he was getting annoying and shot him dead. He then proceeded to do it again!

When the Apache came out, I had no choice but to suicide and take it down. I might lose my nuke attempt, but I'll be damned if I let the other guy get it. Right when I finish with the Apache and switch back to my main class, a second Harrier arrives. I groan. Maybe someone will follow my example?

Nope! My level 14 friend told me that he was hiding (like I told him to, since he can't really do anything to the Harrier), and watched in amazement as two of our teammates shot the sky with Shotguns.

BOOM! Chik-chik BOOM! Chik-chik BOOM!

I shot down three Apaches, six Harriers, and two Pave Lows. Fortunately there was no nuke, but I kept having to suicide to get a fresh batch of Stingers. Ugh.

Why are the tards always on my team?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
You know what makes no sense?

How come you can whip out your knife in less than a millisecond regardless of what you're doing...but you can't swap guns in less than 2 seconds?

Click in the stick = instant knife.
Tap Y = 2 second changing gun animation.

Makes a lick of sense. Why isn't this like CS where you need to actively change to your knife? The MW series confuses me to no end. Do they want realism or do they just want to create something uses realistic things in unrealistic ways?

I think I curse IW by the hour when I'm playing this game for all the nonsensical design decisions they've made and obvious errors that they missed...but I think my main gripe comes down to P2P hosting versus dedicated servers.

No host advantage, no way for a player to fuck with their connection in a way that meant anything.

Sure it's more expensive, but it creates the best user experience. I guess it's stupid to think that would be important, but it's just so damn frustrating. This game could easily be the CS for the new generation (and probably is despite it's fuck-ups), but it just feels like IW doesn't know what type of game they wanted to make (realism vs. gamey) and the overall product suffers because of it.

sk3

Banned
Care Packages need to be more random. The other day I got 2 AC130s in a row from it in the same game. Last night over the span of 3 games, I got 6 care packages, 5 of them were Counter UAV. 3 Counter UAVs in one game from care packages.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
sk3 said:
Care Packages need to be more random. The other day I got 2 AC130s in a row from it in the same game. Last night over the span of 3 games, I got 6 care packages, 5 of them were Counter UAV. 3 Counter UAVs in one game from care packages.
I've stopped using them. I miss the fun of the gamble (never knowing what you'll get), but I've been getting more kills with Predator Missile > Harrier > Pave Low.

Actually, last night I decided to switch it up to Predator Missile > Harrier > Chopper Gunner and I'm already liking it more. I guess I underestimated the power of a well-placed Harrier — it almost always gets me those four kills.

Jrmint

divisionbyzorro said:
Heh that was such a great story. I know exactly what you mean. I love when I have both my Pave Low and Harrier in the sky and I'm running down the map watching these people aiming up with their AR's and SMG's and I just get additional easy kills off of them.

So funny.

Some people just don't realize the Stinger exists.

RubxQub

vatstep said:
I've stopped using them. I miss the fun of the gamble (never knowing what you'll get), but I've been getting more kills with Predator Missile > Harrier > Pave Low.

Actually, last night I decided to switch it up to Predator Missile > Harrier > Chopper Gunner and I'm already liking it more. I guess I underestimated the power of a well-placed Harrier — it almost always gets me those four kills.
I roll with the Pave Low all the time because I tell myself that it's pretty much just as good as the Chopper Gunner, and I get to run around and kill people while it's in the air.

I know the Chopper Gunner is much more lethal, but having to lay prone somewhere the whole time kind of kills the appeal for me. I want to keep killing fools!...especially fools that are shooting up into the sky as if that's going to do anything :lol

Perhaps I'll switch back to the gunner to remember how it feels, but I love the "set and forget" nature of the Pavelow so much.

RubxQub said:
You know what makes no sense?

How come you can whip out your knife in less than a millisecond regardless of what you're doing...but you can't swap guns in less than 2 seconds?

Click in the stick = instant knife.
Tap Y = 2 second changing gun animation.

Makes a lick of sense. Why isn't this like CS where you need to actively change to your knife? The MW series confuses me to no end. Do they want realism or do they just want to create something uses realistic things in unrealistic ways?

I think I curse IW by the hour when I'm playing this game for all the nonsensical design decisions they've made and obvious errors that they missed...but I think my main gripe comes down to P2P hosting versus dedicated servers.

No host advantage, no way for a player to fuck with their connection in a way that meant anything.

Sure it's more expensive, but it creates the best user experience. I guess it's stupid to think that would be important, but it's just so damn frustrating. This game could easily be the CS for the new generation (and probably is despite it's fuck-ups), but it just feels like IW doesn't know what type of game they wanted to make (realism vs. gamey) and the overall product suffers because of it.

Yeah the knifing is complete bullshit and utterly broken. I played for a little last night, and saw some guy basically teleport across a room to stab someone, and then do the same to me before I could even shoot him. It wasn't a hack, it was just their shit netcode combined with that asshole perk that lets you insta-stab from like five feet away.

I don't even know why I keep playing it. Maybe just to get that one good match out of five or six that are shit.

mbmonk

divisionbyzorro said:
Personally, I think the appropriate fix would be to set it so that if you're holding a sentry, package, or e-drop marker, and you get killed, you drop the marker and it goes off. I always felt that the reason for the marker speed boost was to help you get to a good spot to drop it faster; this fix would let you keep that benefit without encouraging the marker-runner behavior.

That was my thought on how to fix the carepackage runners. If they die right now with care package grenade in their hand there is no penalty. They just respawn and reequip the carepackage grenade and off to stabby stab you.

I think the big problem with the proposed fix is you somewhat punish the users who aren't carepackage running. So I am average joe gamer and I pull out my grenade and start looking for a spot to throw it, get sniped or killed suddenly, and now I have lost my carepackage.

So I think the fix IW settled on probably is the best. Keeping the same speed as normal when you are trying to call in a carepackage is completely fine in my eye, and a better solution imo.

But I have to hand it to you, you always have a possible solution instead of just pointing out a problem and then saying 'fix your shit IW'. :lol

mbmonk said:
But I have to hand it to you, you always have a possible solution instead of just pointing out a problem and then saying 'fix your shit IW'. :lol

Maybe they should hire me as a part-time outside consultant :lol

Confidence Man said:
Yeah the knifing is complete bullshit and utterly broken. I played for a little last night, and saw some guy basically teleport across a room to stab someone, and then do the same to me before I could even shoot him. It wasn't a hack, it was just their shit netcode combined with that asshole perk that lets you insta-stab from like five feet away.

I don't even know why I keep playing it. Maybe just to get that one good match out of five or six that are shit.

I'm going to continue to reiterate that the knifing isn't completely bullshit. But IW does need to realize that issues regarding netcode and lag with melee combat in shooters have been solved already.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13233

They need to take a page from this book and implement a similar melee fix - in fact, it should happen in all cases. If we both see ourselves doing fatal damage at the same time (accounting for a reasonable amount of lag), we should both die. And each of us should have our kills counted before our death, in the case that we might have a bonus ready.

If this causes a TDM to end in a 7500-7500 tie; so be it.

mbmonk

divisionbyzorro said:
I looked out the window, and saw some dude standing out in the open staring up at the Harrier. Then he emptied two full clips of his FAL into the Harrier. The Harrier finally decided he was getting annoying and shot him dead. He then proceeded to do it again!

When the Apache came out, I had no choice but to suicide and take it down. I might lose my nuke attempt, but I'll be damned if I let the other guy get it. Right when I finish with the Apache and switch back to my main class, a second Harrier arrives. I groan. Maybe someone will follow my example?

Nope! My level 14 friend told me that he was hiding (like I told him to, since he can't really do anything to the Harrier), and watched in amazement as two of our teammates shot the sky with Shotguns.

I shot down three Apaches, six Harriers, and two Pave Lows. Fortunately there was no nuke, but I kept having to suicide to get a fresh batch of Stingers. Ugh.

:lol

Those are pure gold moments right there. I almost wish I was on your team to see it, but if that was the case I would just be pissed off that they were morons instead of laughing at them.

mbmonk

divisionbyzorro said:

Didn't you come up with the team nuke idea? They should steal that... err I mean hire you for that one alone :lol

mbmonk said:
Didn't you come up with the team nuke idea? They should steal that... err I mean hire you for that one alone :lol

I'm just hoping a particularly motivated modder steals my idea when they finally release those MW2 mod tools they keep hinting at.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
RubxQub said:
I roll with the Pave Low all the time because I tell myself that it's pretty much just as good as the Chopper Gunner, and I get to run around and kill people while it's in the air.

I know the Chopper Gunner is much more lethal, but having to lay prone somewhere the whole time kind of kills the appeal for me. I want to keep killing fools!...especially fools that are shooting up into the sky as if that's going to do anything :lol

Perhaps I'll switch back to the gunner to remember how it feels, but I love the "set and forget" nature of the Pavelow so much.
I got a Pave Low in a care package a while back, and it got me a ton of kills, so I had this good impression of it for a while. But ever since I've had it as one of my killstreaks, it hasn't done much for me... I think the most kills it's racked up was four or five. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I think I actually prefer the Harrier. Sometimes the Pave Low just seems to circle the map multiple times without getting any kills.

The Chopper Gunner is a guaranteed 8-10 kills (if not more), though. I don't think I've ever gotten any less, even when it gets shot down fairly quick.

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm going to continue to reiterate that the knifing isn't completely bullshit. But IW does need to realize that issues regarding netcode and lag with melee combat in shooters have been solved already.

No, it's bullshit. You shouldn't be able to knife instantaneously, and you sure as hell shouldn't have a perk that lets you insta-knife from a greater distance.

Knifing shouldn't be an instant kill at all unless it's from behind.

Confidence Man said:
No, it's bullshit. You shouldn't be able to knife instantaneously, and you sure as hell shouldn't have a perk that lets you insta-knife from a greater distance.

Knifing shouldn't be an instant kill at all unless it's from behind.

You're playing the wrong game then :lol Knifing has been this way since the beginning.

vatstep said:
The Chopper Gunner is a guaranteed 8-10 kills (if not more), though. I don't think I've ever gotten any less, even when it gets shot down fairly quick.

You've clearly never played against me. :lol

divisionbyzorro said:
You're playing the wrong game then :lol Knifing has been this way since the beginning.

Then this game has been a broken piece of shit since the beginning, doesn't change the fact that it's a broken piece of shit.

Confidence Man said:
Then this game has been a broken piece of shit since the beginning, doesn't change the fact that it's a broken piece of shit.

Or it could simply be that, you lack the ability to play MW2...it's ok. We all suck at something. I'm terrible at Scrabble. I would suggest to IW to maybe implement a easy-mode sort of like DMC/Bayonetta, you just make the control the movement and let the game do the shooting, knifing, etc. make you feel all badass and stuff.

...also, I wish there was an option to nuke an entire map from the game *looks at Estate*. Seriously, who thought this was a good idea? ...I've experienced some terrible maps but I don't think anything can't top this one.

Assembly Required said:
Or it could simply be that, you lack the ability to play MW2...it's ok. We all suck at something. I'm terrible at Scrabble.

Yeah, that's it. The game is perfectly balanced and an exquisite example of thoughtful design. :lol

vatstep

divisionbyzorro said:
You've clearly never played against me. :lol
Yeah, I guess I haven't. :lol As someone who tries to take out air support as soon as possible, I can't help but laugh when my own killstreaks can do so much damage. So many people playing this game are still clueless about taking down air support.

aku:jiki

vatstep said:
You should try one of these new Chopper Gunners! I get shot down before I even get an angle for ONE kill all the time due to the enormously long fly-in it does now. I swear I would've had my nuke emblem by now if it didn't do that shit. :(

Assembly Required said:
...also, I wish there was an option to nuke an entire map from the game *looks at Estate*. Seriously, who thought this was a good idea? ...I've experienced some terrible maps but I don't think anything can't top this one.
I think objective-based games on Derail are the worst in this game, simply for the fact that the god damn map keeps insisting that you spawn as far away from the objectives as possible, making it impossible to make any sort of push if your team sucks. Awesome map.

Assembly Required said:
Or it could simply be that, you lack the ability to play MW2...it's ok. We all suck at something. I'm terrible at Scrabble. I would suggest to IW to maybe implement a easy-mode sort of like DMC/Bayonetta, you just make the control the movement and let the game do the shooting, knifing, etc. make you feel all badass and stuff.

Estate is fine. Rundown is awful.

EDIT: So is Derail. GW games on Derail are all right, but it's far too large for any other mode.

And can we PLEASE get IW to pull Highrise from the Domination rotation? I'd rather play Domination on Rust than Highrise.

Yeef

Confidence Man said:
Yeah, that's it. The game is perfectly balanced and an exquisite example of thoughtful design. :lol
The game has plenty of design problems, but the knife is not one of them. You have to be extremely close to hit someone with a knife and it takes quite a while for the animation to finish afterward leaving you wide open if you miss or if someone else is nearby. If anything the knife mechanic is probably the ONLY thing in the game that doesn't need fixing. (Teleporting is a balance and lag issue with Commando the perk, not the knife itself).

mbmonk

divisionbyzorro said:

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13233

They need to take a page from this book and implement a similar melee fix - in fact, it should happen in all cases. If we both see ourselves doing fatal damage at the same time (accounting for a reasonable amount of lag), we should both die. And each of us should have our kills counted before our death, in the case that we might have a bonus ready.

If this causes a TDM to end in a 7500-7500 tie; so be it.

Is that why Uncharted 2 Melee is like that? I never knew. I used to get so pissed because I felt like the game HAD to know who meleed first so why did we both die.

After reading that bungie post it makes sense. Why was not a problem with Dedicated servers? Is it the host advantage rearing it's ugly head?

divisionbyzorro said:

EDIT: So is Derail. GW games on Derail are all right, but it's far too large for any other mode.

And can we PLEASE get IW to pull Highrise from the Domination rotation? I'd rather play Domination on Rust than Highrise.

I can't agree with this statement but, I respect your opinion.........

...Really? Come'on, Estate is a terribly designed map. I feel it's very one-sided. The Cabin/house/fortress/bunker/etc. provides a HUGE tactical advantage to the team that spawns at the top of the hill. Unless your team sucks, then maybe that balances things out. I'm sorry, I really hate Estate. Vote please!!!

Did I mention a silenced SCAR is the best thing ever? ...if only the clip size were bigger.

EDIT: I do however agree with you on Highrise in domination. Complete hell sometimes.

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
People always yell to skip Rundown, but I have no idea why. Aside from the bridges being a little too open, I think it's fine.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, Rundown has gotten too many people trying to camp for nukes since that video of a guy camping the upper floor and getting a nuke right away...

divisionbyzorro said:
No way! Domination on Highrise is my nuke territory - flanking A and getting 5 easy kills from snipers who never bother to check their back is a beautiful thing. B is a pain in the ass though.

Assembly Required said:
...Really? Come'on, Estate is a terribly designed map. I feel it's very one-sided. The Cabin/house/fortress/bunker/etc. provides a HUGE tactical advantage to the team that spawns at the top of the hill. Unless your team sucks, then maybe that balances things out. I'm sorry, I really hate Estate. Vote please!!!

I take it you mostly play TDM? I pretty much primarily play Domination, so my map comments pretty much always are made with that mode in mind. Estate on Domination actually feels pretty good; even if one team is determined to hole up in the house and hold A, it's easy enough to take and hold B/C and win the game while they're content to snipe.

Rundown, on the other hand, is piss poor. You have two sides of the map with three wide open paths between them. A team of snipers who has Alpha and Bravo can easily pin the other team on the Charlie side of the map and just watch the three bridges for an easy victory.

(Obviously, a smart team that works together will just band together and rush one of the outer bridges, but that never happens)

Quick question:
lets say I got a predator missile from a kill streak, but I die before I use it. Now if I get a couple of kills with it the next time I spawn, will the kills I get from it count in my new kill streak?

aku:jiki said:
You should try one of these new Chopper Gunners! I get shot down before I even get an angle for ONE kill all the time due to the enormously long fly-in it does now. I swear I would've had my nuke emblem by now if it didn't do that shit. :(

I think objective-based games on Derail are the worst in this game, simply for the fact that the god damn map keeps insisting that you spawn as far away from the objectives as possible, making it impossible to make any sort of push if your team sucks. Awesome map.

Use tactical insertion, problem solved.

If you still want semtex/frags with your class, use an OMA class with TI and OMA switch to the class with semtex/frags.

TDM and Demolition, from my experiences playing those modes on this map is pretty terrible. Especially if your or the opposing team is a clan or simply just work together.

And I love playing domination on Rundown. I can use my Danger Close class (Scavenger; no OMA...I like the challenge) and not feel feel bad (or cheap).

Anaxagoras said:
Quick question:
lets say I got a predator missile from a kill streak, but I die before I use it. Now if I get a couple of kills with it the next time I spawn, will the kills I get from it count in my new kill streak?

No, because you would get infinite pred missiles. That's the reason IW took it out of MW2 because in COD4, you can abuse it and save the attack heli and start a new killstreak if you died.

RubxQub

I primarily only play TDME, as it's the only mode that feels right to me.

• Killcams so no one can camp (I'm looking at you Hardcore).
  • Respawns, because you can die in ways that make no sense whatsoever (I'm looking at you SnD)
  • No objectives other than to kill, because in every objective mode there are just a ton of people going for kills anyways, making it stupid and annoying to actually try and play the objectives (I'm looking at you HQ, Domination and Demolition)

It just comes down to the fact that killing people is what you are rewarded for (through killstreaks) so it only makes sense that killing people is generally everyone's main priority...so I play the game mode where everyone is only trying to kill each other.

If they changed the way killstreaks and scoring worked in the other modes, I'd play them much more often, but all other modes to me are just something I do when I'm bored with TDM.

huacst21 said:
No, because you would get infinite pred missiles. That's the reason IW took it out of MW2 because in COD4, you can abuse it and save the attack heli and start a new killstreak if you died.
I kind of knew it, because if that was true you can die after you get a chopper gunner and then use it the next time ou spawn to get another one and so on.

thanks for the answer, off to get some kills streaks :D

huacst21 said:

I used the chain the dogs together like that in W@W all the time :lol.

RavenFox

Banned
cameltoe said:
WRONG!

The other day there were over 600,000 playing..over 400,000 in playlists.

Last night on the 360 there were 890,000 and over 600,000 in playlists.

btw i have uploaded a few more CTF vids...

http://www.youtube.com/cameltoe1009
Why didn't you the destroy the Harrier @ 5:58 with your predator missile? You could have spared your team from extra death. Then you massively overshoot your last Harrier strike. Good play tactics though.

RubxQub said:
I primarily only play TDME, as it's the only mode that feels right to me.

• Killcams so no one can camp (I'm looking at you Hardcore).
  • Respawns, because you can die in ways that make no sense whatsoever (I'm looking at you SnD)
  • No objectives other than to kill, because in every objective mode there are just a ton of people going for kills anyways, making it stupid and annoying to actually try and play the objectives (I'm looking at you HQ, Domination and Demolition)

It just comes down to the fact that killing people is what you are rewarded for (through killstreaks) so it only makes sense that killing people is generally everyone's main priority...so I play the game mode where everyone is only trying to kill each other.

If they changed the way killstreaks and scoring worked in the other modes, I'd play them much more often, but all other modes to me are just something I do when I'm bored with TDM.

I just started playing TDME myself. Minimal downtime, so that means I can kill people even faster. I sort of agree with the Obj. based modes statement, I RARELY ever play them without friends and on rare occasion that I do play one by myself, I usually end up just sitting off to the side sniping or running around like a madman w/ my ninja class if I'm stuck on a team that sucks (no teamwork). Otherwise, I just like to cut to the chase and kill people in TDM.

ultim8p00

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
For some reason, the matchmaking always puts the tards on my team. I hopped into a Ground War game last night with a low-level friend. We were playing GW Domination on Underpass. Not too far into the game, an enemy Harrier showed up. I was working on a streak and didn't want to suicide just to take down the Harrier, so I huddled in the building at Alpha, with the Harrier hovering overhead, and hoped that someone on my team would shoot it down.

:lol :lol :lol Damn, I've seen ARs, but not shotguns lol.

Top Bottom