• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Meier

EazyB said:
It still amazes me that many CoD players know full and well that they'd stop playing the game if they couldn't get more experience. Speaks volumes.

I hit 70 a long time ago and have no desire to prestige. I'll hop on MW2 when I want to have fun, not for some false sense of progression. I realize some of you just see the experience system as the cherry on the top and that's fine but still many of you say you'd stop playing. And who the fuck cares if someone glitches to 10th prestige? A legit 10th prestige would only mean you've played a shitton of games and has no merit in itself anyways.
The experience gain is definitely part of the fun to me. I thought of sticking at 70 for a little while but every match resulting in essentially 0 exp made it feel less important so I prestiged pretty much right away. I am up to about 57 or something now on my first prestige and don't regret it.

bobs99 ... said:
As for the leaf thing, how do you know theyre not just on the rooftop and not using the leafs on purpose?
You know when someone is cheating. Guy was purposely camped there repeatedly. I doubt filing complaints does anything, but he was a dick about it afterwards in voice chat so I did what I could.

I also filed a complaint on a guy last night who kept using the n word even though we had 3 black guys on our team (really guy? really?). He then used "jiggaboo" over and over. Not surprisingly his GT was relicman420 and he had a pot emblem and callsign. Douche.

X26

Banned
EazyB said:
It still amazes me that many CoD players know full and well that they'd stop playing the game if they couldn't get more experience. Speaks volumes.

I hit 70 a long time ago and have no desire to prestige. I'll hop on MW2 when I want to have fun, not for some false sense of progression. I realize some of you just see the experience system as the cherry on the top and that's fine but still many of you say you'd stop playing. And who the fuck cares if someone glitches to 10th prestige? A legit 10th prestige would only mean you've played a shitton of games and has no merit in itself anyways.

that's nice, now go back to the halo thread

wud said:
why? Because i'm a casual gamer that performed an easy way to get 10th prestige? :lol oh no the elitists are upset with me

It hardly makes me a bad player either, 1.09 KDR and an 18% accuracy is hardly laughable

what's laughable is that 10th prestige is the new first prestige; there's a good chance any 10th prestige players you encounter at this point in time cheated to get there, and is actually a terrible player.

Whenever I see one i think 'fresh meat'.

btw, 1.09 / 18% isn't great, not terrible, middle of the road.

Mileena

Banned
wud said:
still can't believe the amount of abuse i get for being 10th prestige everytime i join a game :lol

telling 14 year olds they're adopted never gets stale
I'm one of those people... but only when they're terrible. It's so fun having a 10th prestige on my team go 0-5 in search and I just make fun of him the whole game.

if you think 1.09 K/D is good, you're out of your mind. That's not even decent on 360, and for PS3 it's pretty garbage.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Pyke Presco said:
Speaking only for myself, I find the gameplay of the game to be good. Call of Duty has always flowed really well. But without that carrot to keep bringing me back I see no reason to pick it over any other game. Halo 3 was huge with me until I got CoD4, and then it was over.

Same here.

Infinity Ward really shook up the FPS landscape when they introduced the perk and EXP system in CoD4.

Thank you IW <3

Has the M-16's accuracy boost w/ the Holo sight been confirmed to exist on other guns too?
I swear the L86 benefits from using it, but maybe I'm just imagining it.

Brian Fellows said:
Thats my favorite one but I'll never get it because I don't use throwing knives ever.
BRIAN FELLOWS! Have I got news for you... I've never killed a single player with a throwing knife -- I think it's a prestige emblem for melee kills. You're in luck!

Cerrius said:
Same here.

Infinity Ward really shook up the FPS landscape when they introduced the perk and EXP system in CoD4.

Thank you IW <3

I had a chance to play the COD4 MP Beta on the 360 with some Bungie guys. I remember Luke trashing it heavily and confidently announcing that there was no challenge to The Mighty Halo MP.

The rest of the Bungie guys were pretty quiet tho.

As someone who waited in line for both H2 and H3 midnight releases, I knew as I played that COD4 beta for the first time that Bungie had a real challenger.

The grinding impulse is just an addictive itch that gamers like to compulsively scratch I guess.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Defenstrate said:
The grinding impulse is just an addictive itch that gamers like to compulsively scratch I guess.

Agreed...

RSTEIN said:
Damn. Luke got owned.

Not a first for Luke..tbh...he's horrible at predictions. I listened to old podcasts last year he was way off on alot of stuff...especially Wii...

wud

Neo Member
I still don't get the problem with the whole 10th prestige thing, i really really don't understand whats wrong with it in the slightest. I don't gain any advantage that makes me a better player, it just allows me to not fanny around changing classes all the time

i prestiged twice before i did aswell, not as though i didn't do part of it "properly"

@everyone talking about my KDR - i don't actually care about it, thats the 1st time ive looked at it in a while, i thought anything over 1 was good but obviously not so whatever. In objective based games i generally end up with a negative KDR but still top of the leaderboards, should tell you something

Speaking of throwing knives, I chucked one across the map and hit someone in the head as they killed me with an M16 and it was the game winning killcam on Search and Destroy. :lol I love moments like that.

EazyB said:
Hmmm, about what? That some people want some purpose in their gaming, some sort of accomplishment, however trivial? In the real world, the prestige emblems mean nothing, but when you're playing the game, it just says "I play a lot and enjoy a challenge." Is that volume somehow flawed?
EazyB said:
I hit 70 a long time ago and have no desire to prestige. I'll hop on MW2 when I want to have fun, not for some false sense of progression. I realize some of you just see the experience system as the cherry on the top and that's fine but still many of you say you'd stop playing.
Same thing went for COD4. A game has never squeezed so many gaming hours out of me in pursuit of some in-game accomplishments. Until now. OK, pretend you're old for a second... you're in an arcade playing pinball... suddenly you realize that it's all flashing lights and bumpers, but there's no score, no high score, unlimited balls, shit, it's even free to play. How f'ing boring would that be? So what if there's a carrot? I'm sick of the "accomplishments mean nothing" argument, 'cause they went from 360 to PS3 to PC to in-game, non-trophy/achievement challenges to Steam to... every game. If World of Warcraft, hardest of the hardcore games, has achievements then I think it's fair to say just about everyone likes the carrot now. No homo. :lol
EazyB said:
And who the fuck cares if someone glitches to 10th prestige? A legit 10th prestige would only mean you've played a shitton of games and has no merit in itself anyways.
It's a cheat just like every other cheat -- when you exploit, you show yourself to be a masturbatory little exhibitionist "look at me, look at me!!! I broke the rules, how cool am I?!"

th3dude

wud said:
I still don't get the problem with the whole 10th prestige thing, i really really don't understand whats wrong with it in the slightest. I don't gain any advantage that makes me a better player, it just allows me to not fanny around changing classes all the time

i prestiged twice before i did aswell, not as though i didn't do part of it "properly"

@everyone talking about my KDR - i don't actually care about it, thats the 1st time ive looked at it in a while, i thought anything over 1 was good but obviously not so whatever. In objective based games i generally end up with a negative KDR but still top of the leaderboards, should tell you something

Dude, the thread moved on away from your 'problem', let it go. You cheated, you're getting harassed for it, deal with it.

(don't mean to start anything, as I'm only a junior, but the thread is going just fine without him bringing himself up every few posts.)

UFRA

wud said:

That you are running around mindlessly for the objectives without remembering this is a shooter and you have to kill people?

Cobra84

wud said:
I still don't get the problem with the whole 10th prestige thing.
I don't either. I'd rather play with you than a tube/oma classes, shotguns users (secondaries better than most primaries?), knife runners, or killstreak campers.

wud

Neo Member
Cobra84 said:
I don't either. I'd rather play with you than a tube/oma classes, shotguns users (secondaries better than most primaries?), knife runners, or killstreak campers.

DING DING DING

we have a fucking winner finally, i cheated to get to 10th prestige but i never ever use any of those builds

UFRA

Cobra84 said:

Yes, because I've certainly never seen a 10th prestige hacker do any of those things. :rolleyes

DarknessTear said:
Speaking of throwing knives, I chucked one across the map and hit someone in the head as they killed me with an M16 and it was the game winning killcam on Search and Destroy. :lol I love moments like that.

That is epic.

I really want to be good with throwing knives, but I seem to constantly die in undignified ways in my attempts to master them.

RubxQub said:
Any idea what your time played is?

I think I'm hovering around 9 days played and I'm about level 55 on my 3rd prestige.

Level 42 3rd prestige 7 days 23 hours 19 minutes.

Defenstrate said:
That is epic.

I really want to be good with throwing knives, but I seem to constantly die in undignified ways in my attempts to master them.

Honestly with throwing knives the best strategy is to not try hard to aim at the person. Just face them and throw it a bit above them depending on distance, or straight forward if they're close by. I also like to jump around corners and throw them at people in mid air. :lol

Defenstrate said:
That is epic.

Ahhh yeah that's the worst. When you're trying to get good with something you aren't used to and you're just getting rocked left and right making you look bad.

wud

Neo Member
Defenstrate said:
That is epic.

they're useless really, they're slow to hit their target and you have to compensate for movement. It's nice that you can throw it instantly and its one-hit kill but if you don't use scavenger it can get even more tricky

wud said:
they're useless really, they're slow to hit their target and you have to compensate for movement. It's nice that you can throw it instantly and its one-hit kill but if you don't use scavenger it can get even more tricky

They're not that slow. They also bounce on the ground. Also you can just go pick them up after the kill. They're fun to use in Search and Destroy.

Cobra84

UFRA said:
Yes, because I've certainly never seen a 10th prestige hacker do any of those things. :rolleyes
They aren't related in any way. A player at 10th prestige doesn't matter to me at all, while broken classes and weapons have made me quit playing.

wud

Neo Member
DarknessTear said:
They're not that slow. They also bounce on the ground. Also you can just go pick them up after the kill. They're fun to use in Search and Destroy.

Slow in comparison to a bullet! ive started getting the hang of bouncing them, is it dependent on surfaces? Sometimes they like to ricochet and sometimes they'll just stick straight into the ground.

yeah i know they can be reclaimed but chasing after a knife can end up in an easy kill for an enemy. They're standard in S&D, me and my friends always try to get the funniest game winning killcam with them :lol

UFRA

Cobra84 said:
They aren't related in any way. A player at 10th prestige doesn't matter to me at all, while broken classes and weapons made me quit.

Exactly. They aren't related in any way. So I don't see why you said you'd rather play with a 10th prestige hacker than a bunch of cheap player types.

10th prestige hackers have access to all the same weapons as me at level 70, so there's the same chance as with any player that they'll use cheap tactics. Just because they have extra class slots doesn't make them exempt from douchebaggery.

Cobra84

UFRA said:
Exactly. They aren't related in any way. So I don't see why you said you'd rather play with a 10th prestige hacker than a bunch of cheap player types.

10th prestige hackers have access to all the same weapons as me at level 70, so there's the same chance as with any player that they'll use cheap tactics. Just because they have extra class slots doesn't make them exempt from douchebaggery.
You are getting really picky with what I said, so I will rephrase it.

I'd rather play with a 10th prestige hacker who plays without using classes and weapons that I find unbalanced over someone who hasn't prestige hacked and uses unbalanced weapons and classes.

UFRA said:

In MW2, no one is exempt from douchbaggery.

In fact, douchbaggery is seemingly the rule, not the exception.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. I love being a douchbaggy(ie?) shield rusher.

OverHeat

« generous god »
The thing I hear the most in MW2....SPEAK ENGLISH this is an Americain game go back to your country :lol Thx god for the mute button.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
just had an annoying game on Favela against a bunch of campers so I got pissed off and ran round like a lunatic and I got the coolest sequence of kills I've ever seen :lol

I spawned at C, equipped my shotgun and ran to the bit round the corner from C with the stairs leading to the roof, the guy who killed me was hiding in the foliage there so I killed him. Ran onto the roof and blasted a sniper at the top, sprinted across the roof and made a perfect jump right into the upper doorway to the hairdresser place where a guy was camped pointing at the door, my dropping from the sky clearly shocked him as I managed to blast him just as I landed. Then I sprinted towards the opposite window and just as I get to the wall I jumped left over the railings for the stairs whilst spinning right, planning to check for any followers through the door behind me (or anyone who had already ran upstairs) but hoping to land so that I was facing the door at the bottom, assuming an enemy would be there.

Sure enough a guy had heard my shotgun blast and was rushing upstairs, only to have me drop down in front of his face and blast him before landing :D I swear to God that last dude had the best killcam ever! :lol

clashfan said:
Is it considered poor taste to stay at level 70 and not prestige?

I am a tenth level prestige in COD4 and I'm not going to Prestige in MW2 at all. I'm going to stay at 70 and just complete every single challenge. I missed doing that in COD4 cause I was always chasing my next level.

kaizoku said:
just had an annoying game on Favela against a bunch of campers so I got pissed off and ran round like a lunatic and I got the coolest sequence of kills I've ever seen :lol

This kind of reminded me of a game in favela I had last night. I was in my SMG class(I dont have a knife runner class so my "knife" class is my SMG class) and I was in the barbershop at the bottom of the road running up those stairs about to jump out the door way onto the wooden walkway on the big building. As I was jumping an enemy was jumping towards me and I knifed him midair. It was extremely silly. :lol

kaizoku

I might prestige ONCE, can't see me doing it again....although I might if its significantly faster.

what do you get to keep again? titles and emblems right?

kaizoku

Lionheart1827 said:
This kind of reminded me of a game in favela I had last night. I was in my SMG class(I dont have a knife runner class so my "knife" class is my SMG class) and I was in the barbershop at the bottom of the road running up those stairs about to jump out the door way onto the wooden walkway on the big building. As I was jumping an enemy was jumping towards me and I knifed him midair. It was extremely silly. :lol

:lol that sounds amazing.

there really should be a way for us to save and share these kind of things with friends. who are these people who youtube x360 matches? do they just connect it to a pc and record every game just in case something happens?

kaizoku said:
:lol that sounds amazing.

there really should be a way for us to save and share these kind of things with friends. who are these people who youtube x360 matches? do they just connect it to a pc and record every game just in case something happens?

Yeah I believe they get a capture card and just record games and if they happen to have a good one they save it. I've actually been thinking of getting a setup for it. SOO many games I had some sweet kills I just wish I couldve saved em.

kaizoku said:
I might prestige ONCE, can't see me doing it again....although I might if its significantly faster.

what do you get to keep again? titles and emblems right?
I don't know how people don't prestige. I NEED to feel like I'm playing towards something. I have a lot lot more fun that way and it forces you to try new things. But yeah you do keep all that stuff, just lose weapons/perks.

Mileena

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
I don't know how people don't prestige. I NEED to feel like I'm playing towards something. I have a lot lot more fun that way and it forces you to try new things. But yeah you do keep all that stuff, just lose weapons/perks.
I agree with this. Though I'm gonna stop at 8th or 9th because the 10th prestige looks like ass. I really love the 8th prestige.

-Pyromaniac- said:

and your progress on various challenges.

Not all of us have a nuke every ten matches, you know.... if ever.

snap0212

wud said:
Judging by your avatar you should be slitting your wrists to linkin park right now
:lol :lol :lol

So you didn't know what to say and went completely off-topic instead? Nice try! Let's end this here. :lol

aku:jiki

I just had a game where the ENTIRE enemy team were doing OMA noobtubing on Terminal. Oddly enough, it wasn't as annoying as it sounds and we actually beat them pretty bad point-wise, but they just destroyed us kill-wise and it was a constant rain of Harriers. Man that really needs to be fixed ASAP.

BTW, I've been trying to learn how to snipe and I don't understand the OHK's in this game. Is there like a trick to it? I've even got SP on and they still take two shots to the chest with the WA2000! Which is the strongest one so I can actually get reliable OHK's?

OverHeat said:
The thing I hear the most in MW2....SPEAK ENGLISH this is an Americain game go back to your country :lol Thx god for the mute button.
Just reply with "NO, YOU SPEAK (your language)," ignore them and keep talking. That usually annoys them. :lol

Insaniac

i am SO SO Tired of the delay difference between two people. If i fire my shotgun first, I should WIN, not die without actually firing my gun. This happens waaaay to often now.

wud said:

I'll tell you the problem, prestige icons and titles/callsigns are the shit in this game. For the most part its how you show how good you are. What happens in 6 months when theres a bunch of legit presige 10s? how do you tell the difference? it cheapens the reward for reaching prestige 10. You could be labeled a cheater and a shitty player as opposed to what it should mean.

F#A#Oo said:
For the PS3 that includes a mic...? It's pretty scarce platform for gaming headsets...

Someone on GAF recommended me the Turtle Beach P21's which I purchased yesterday from Amazon and they arrived today (Amazon Prime ftw) and I tried them out for a few hours and it's pretty amazing...

My only gripe is the length of the cable it is ridiculous...like 12 feet ridiculous...

Sorry to bring this up from a few pages back but I gotta ask you did you have a hissing noise (like a static noise) whenever their is no game sound or anything (like when you are in the XMB) ?
I do but the noise will always be overshadowed by any game sound except for Demon's Souls which usually doesn't have a lot of sounds and music so that hissing ruined the atmosphere and drove me crazy. It's the only game I play with my TV speakers now.

Sorry for going off topic.

OldJadedGamer said:
I am a tenth level prestige in COD4 and I'm not going to Prestige in MW2 at all. I'm going to stay at 70 and just complete every single challenge. I missed doing that in COD4 cause I was always chasing my next level.

A lot of challenges are prestige exclusive, so you might want to do that once... but the emblem is ugly for the first prestige.

Yeef

-Pyromaniac- said:
I doubt you finished every single challenge before prestiging. If anything, I'd say prestige dissuades people from doing some of the harder/more annoying challenges, because they'll just have to do them again anyway.

I've been at 70 for a long time and have no intention of prestiging. I still haven't unlocked Extended Mags for every gun or most of the attachments for secondary weapons either. I just wish there were some other way to get the extra class slots without having to reset everything. I think awarding an extra slot for percentage of challenges completed would be nice. One extra slot for every 20%.

Terrordactyl said:
I'll tell you the problem, prestige icons and titles/callsigns are the shit in this game. For the most part its how you show how good you are
Prestige, like level, is never a measure of skill. If anything it's a measure of playtime. Anyone can get to 10th prestige if they play enough. Even if you're terrible the match bonuses and random challenges will get you there eventually.

Fugu

Not sure if ths has been mentioned, but the latest patch on PC (released yesterday evening) has completely broken the matchmaking system. You can no longer host two games in a row (the second game you attempt to host will crash MW2 and kick every player from the game even if you left one lobby, joined another, and became host of it) and there's another bug that causes a lobby to glitch out and kick any new player that joins it, resulting in an extremely rapid cycling of players (~2 or 3 per second). I played for about two hours today and got in maybe six rounds of TDM (two of them on rust and therefore two of them lasting under four minutes.

kaizoku

-Pyromaniac- said:

I know what you mean and I might feel that way once I hit 70....but I'm the kind of player who wants what he wants....only reason I'm leveling up at all is to get the perks and equipment I wanted.

In fact for the past week or so I havent been playing towards anything of note. I've always been playing towards the M16 and ACR or cold blooded/ninja pro or the desert eagle tactical knife. Now I have them, its like the game has really begun, I can start playing the game the way I want to play it. anything before was just a grind to get me the things I wanted. Not sure I wanna grind again.

Still interested in doing challenges I care about or that seem doable, but I must admit I'm about 30 straightforward kills away from completing all M16 challenges and its going to feel weird, might switch to grinding the FAMAS.

If I prestige I might not play the game enough to get back to where I am now....would be kind of annoying.

-Pyromaniac- said:

Because some of us already did our tenth level prestige in COD4 and want to actually do some challenges this time through. I'm not doing all ten again and if I do just one, I know myself and I'll have to do all ten.

Top Bottom