• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Brian Fellows said:
Does OMA allow you to switch more than once? I was under the impression you could only switch once.
Oh SNAP, son! You can "switch" to your current class (or any class with OMA) as many times as you like.

You can also switch to another class which ALSO has OMA so you can switch again. Best practice: Make 5 of 6 classes OMA.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
DeuceMojo said:
Oh SNAP, son! You can "switch" to your current class as many times as you like.

You can also switch to another class which ALSO has OMA so you can switch again. Best practice: Make 5 of 6 classes OMA.

Yeah that is effin pretty crazy. I've never actually used it. I don't like variety.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Brian Fellows said:
Yeah that is effin pretty crazy. I've never actually used it. I don't like variety.
I can't possibly live without my secondary. Shotguns are too pimp to not use.

I just always roll with Scavenger so I essentially have unlimited everything (including equipment), while still having a secondary.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
RubxQub said:
I can't possibly live without my secondary. Shotguns are too pimp to not use.

I just always roll with Scavenger so I essentially have unlimited everything (including equipment), while still having a secondary.

Yeah I love having a secondary weapon too. I start out with the PP2000 but usually end up dropping it for the first AR I find laying on the ground.

Meier

I saw a guy yesterday who I suspected had OMA to go with his claymores. Pretty nice setup. I could see someone who was very confident about their sniping or who maybe used the ACOG scope on it going this route.

Guileless said:
I don't mind starting out at the bottom as I learn the ropes. But since you get better weapons and perks as you progress up the ladder, in addition to learning maps and successful strategies, there should be some segregation of new players in single digit levels. I will admit that I enjoyed decimating novice UT3 players right after the Steam sale, but I didn't start the game with better weapons or perks than them.

The later stuff is not necessarily better. As far as Assault Rifles are concerned, the first three are all perfectly competent and aren't upstaged by later versions (with one exception - the ACR is better than the M4A1 in pretty much every way, but the M4 is no slouch). With SMGs, the UMP is the best one in most people's opinion, and it's the first one.

Shotguns are probably the only class you get shafted in. The SPAS-12 is awesome, but it takes a touch of skill that a newbie won't have just yet. You probably won't end up liking shotguns for a while, but by that point you'll have access to all of them.

Perks are pretty much the same. You can roll with Sleight of Hand, Stopping Power, and Steady Aim for the whole game if you want; the other perks won't mean much to a new player anyway.

The later stuff isn't really better; it's just different, and the gradual progression forces you to learn each perk and weapon as it comes along, rather than overloading you with everything up front.

Brian Fellows said:
I didn't either... but then I started playing demo and domination a lot, and that changed. For example: If we were successfully defending the bombs in demo, I can sit back and snipe in order to surpress the enemy (think watching the bridges in Rundown). If, for some reason, the enemy gets through and plants a bomb, I can either A) Switch to my AR class and launch a noobtube at the site or pick off the person who planted, or B) Switch to my run and gun class to get in the fray and wreak some havoc. Usually I start with my AR class and switch to my various classes as appropriate. OMA is a Godsend in this game. I have it set on three classes, so I can switch back and forth. My noobtube/explosives class is the Scar with tube, claymore, danger close. I also have a silenced AR class which I rotate the ACR and TAR (+silencer, Stopping Power, and Tactical Insertion) on. I freaking love OMA.

RJNavarrete said:
I didn't either... but then I started playing demo and domination a lot, and that changed. For example: If we were successfully defending the bombs in demo, I can sit back and snipe in order to surpress the enemy (think watching the bridges in Rundown). If, for some reason, the enemy gets through and plants a bomb, I can either A) Switch to my AR class and launch a noobtube at the site or pick off the person who planted, or B) Switch to my run and gun class to get in the fray and wreak some havoc. Usually I start with my AR class and switch to my various classes as appropriate. OMA is a Godsend in this game. I have it set on three classes, so I can switch back and forth. My noobtube/explosives class is the Scar with tube, claymore, danger close. I also have a silenced AR class which I rotate the ACR and TAR (+silencer, Stopping Power, and Tactical Insertion) on. I freaking love OMA.

And that's exactly how OMA was meant to be used. Not this noob-tube bullshit

Brian Fellows said:
Its hilarious how the shitty players in this game just go from one trend to another in a desperate attempt to be less shitty.

I know.

It's like.... Ohhhhhhh I am shit. Lets Javelin glitch.... fuck the fixed it. ohhhh welll,..... lets Dual 1887's and blast folks from far off..... fuck they nerfed it.... ohhh welll..... now lets go with OMA and tubes. yea yea that will work! oh and also lets try and throw in some Marathon+leightweight+AA12's

Brian Fellows said:
Yeah I love having a secondary weapon too. I start out with the PP2000 but usually end up dropping it for the first AR I find laying on the ground.

same but usually start with the M9..... such a better back up

We finally finished Wardriving. And on veteran too! Now just all 3 Echo missions on veteran, we have already finished all the others except Wetwork on regular but boy, those 3 will take couple of hours to finish on Vet.

Continued the SP on vet too, Hornets Nest wasn't as hard as I had thought, thank god. I hate Favela.

hey_ghis

Neo Member
The challenges system is a great upgrade. Levels are tough and well thought. The timing, gameplay and level design fit totally.

Hello to everyone by the way!

kuYuri

fps fanatic said:
I've been away from the game for almost a week. Waiting on a replacement PS3. Haven't been following the thread, are there any patches/updates planned for the game?

I thought I read somewhere here that they're planning on nerfing OMA? I think that Youtube video posted by WingsofRedemption may have done more harm than good?

Seems like a lot of people are using that build now. As long as they don't nerf my "Bladerunner" class, I'm good. ;)

I love my Magnum/Tact knife combo...

They are getting rid of the speed boost from Care Package/Sentry/ E-Drop markers and fixing being able to put sentries into walls and other geometry as well as fixing the Bling 1887s that got through the last time.

aku:jiki

I really need to learn to play conservatively or even camp sometimes. Getting to 22 kills within the 2 minutes of a match, only to mistakenly run at the worst time and run into two guys I easily could've killed if I chilled with my shotgun, is heartbreaking.

My problem whenever I try to either snipe or camp is that get annoyed and impatient at the fact that I have no idea where anybody will be, or when someone will show up. How would GAF go about going from 22 to 25 by C in Highrise? Should I have picked up one of the snipers lying around and tried to hide in one of the glassed-off offices?

What spots are good for making sure I survive and score 3 more - how's the end of that dark hallway by the stairs? Do people show up there often enough? Man, I really don't understand this camping stuff at all. Is there like a FAQ somewhere?

Actually, what I really, really, really should've done is asked my three friends to cover each entrance to C and help me get those last 3. Why the hell didn't I ask? :(

DeuceMojo said:
Whoa! Sounds like you're lamenting a death in the family or something... it's gonna be OK, man, it's gonna be OK. :lol

That man, like me, is nuke hunting. I know his pain - a few days ago I went 23-1-0 and wept bitter tears.

I thought I had heard that OMA didn't reload the Javelin. Ran into a guy on Rundown who kept using it on us but wasn't very successful. He got me once I believe, but luckily I was playing with some pretty good teammates who seeked him out.

eternaLightness said:
I thought I had heard that OMA didn't reload the Javelin. Ran into a guy on Rundown who kept using it on us but wasn't very successful. He got me once I believe, but luckily I was playing with some pretty good teammates who seeked him out.
OMA doesn't allow 2nd weapons.

PetriP-TNT said:
We finally finished Wardriving. And on veteran too! Now just all 3 Echo missions on veteran, we have already finished all the others except Wetwork on regular but boy, those 3 will take couple of hours to finish on Vet.

Continued the SP on vet too, Hornets Nest wasn't as hard as I had thought, thank god. I hate Favela.

I loved the Spec Ops missions.

One of my buddies and I blew through all of them so quickly.

1,000 gamerscore

Insaniac

thing I like to do with OMA is get my predator, then switch to a hardline OMA class and use my predator 99% guaranteed harrier, then switch to a dangerclose class and call in my harrier.

eternaLightness said:
So it must have been a glitch?

while I won't rule out the possiblity of a glitch, given MW2s history with glitches, it was more likely he was either dying and respawning and/or using scavenger

taylor910

Last night I spawned with a Javelin as my primary and a shotty as my secondary. Anyone encountered this?

My class was set up as M4 and shotty. After I died it went back to normal. Weird.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
taylor910 said:
Last night I spawned with a Javelin as my primary and a shotty as my secondary. Anyone encountered this?

My class was set up as M4 and shotty. After I died it went back to normal. Weird.
I've accidentally picked up guns that were lying on the spawn spot because I was hitting X (respawn) too much. maybe this happened?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
divisionbyzorro said:
The later stuff is not necessarily better. As far as Assault Rifles are concerned, the first three are all perfectly competent and aren't upstaged by later versions (with one exception - the ACR is better than the M4A1 in pretty much every way, but the M4 is no slouch). With SMGs, the UMP is the best one in most people's opinion, and it's the first one.

Shotguns are probably the only class you get shafted in. The SPAS-12 is awesome, but it takes a touch of skill that a newbie won't have just yet. You probably won't end up liking shotguns for a while, but by that point you'll have access to all of them.

Perks are pretty much the same. You can roll with Sleight of Hand, Stopping Power, and Steady Aim for the whole game if you want; the other perks won't mean much to a new player anyway.

The later stuff isn't really better; it's just different, and the gradual progression forces you to learn each perk and weapon as it comes along, rather than overloading you with everything up front.

Interesting. Like I said, I've never played any CoD multiplayer before last week. I was under the impression that progression was the great draw of the game. So if you don't improve gear and abilities as in an MMO, how does CoD's progression model draw so many people in?

TacticalFox88 said:
Does anyone know the name of the soundtrack that plays at the beginning of the Spec Op mission 'Body Count'?

I believe that is on Estate when you are running from the estate to the chopper. Dont quote me on it, but I think thats the one youre looking for. :)

wud

Neo Member
Encountered a brand new glitch on the PS3 today, got killed on S&D, fair enough. Watch the killcam back and the person has no gun, it looked like a partially textured "pipe" facing downwards with a tactical insertion crosshair, he pointed it at me and there was no gunshot noise, just some weird whirring then i died :lol

asked him what the fuck it was and he laughed down his headset so its still a mystery to me

Kyoufu

Is the multiplayer really that bad? Friend of mine tells me its horribly unbalanced with people running around Commando/Marathon specced. Is this worth getting or should I just pass?

Kyoufu said:
Is the multiplayer really that bad? Friend of mine tells me its horribly unbalanced with people running around Commando/Marathon specced. Is this worth getting or should I just pass?

In the first couple of weeks it came out, yes there were some fucked up balancing and glitching, but now people complain too much imo. The worst part is spawns.

People here will beg to differ though.

ultim8p00

Banned
MidnightRider said:
That's what I was thinking but does it still do murder damage with the silencer on?

Yeah it does. UMP is a monster. What stopping power does is that it enables you to be a bit less accurate since each bullet does more damage. But it really is a waste because if you are playing right with UMP, you shouldn't have to worry about accuracy. That's why I have marathon and lightweight, so I can get in close on the enemy and off them before they know what happened. If I see someone at long range, I run away. I don't even bother.

wud

Neo Member
Kyoufu said:

If you were good at COD4/WAW and have a lot of patience, along with a few people to play with regularly - go for it

if not avoid like the plague

Raadius

Banned
Kyoufu said:
No, it's not.

People just like to complain and in some cases can not adjust. I've encounter almost all the glitches and have yet to put the game down. I still enjoy it, I still average 27 kills per game with 10 or less deaths.

I always encounter matches where my random dudes complain about choppers, harriers, ac130s etc. but why the hell are you running out in the open when the enemy calls them out. You complain about snipers but snipers mostly look forward (rarely checking there back), so go around. Stop being lazy, take those extra steps to knife or shoot him. Also most snipers have a claymore behind them so toss a sticky or frag to murk the claymore and him, simple.

Raadius

Banned
Kyoufu said:
No, it's not.

People just like to complain and in some cases can not adjust. I've encounter almost all the glitches and have yet to put the game down. I still enjoy it, I still average 27 kills per game with 10 or less deaths.

I always encounter matches where my random dudes complain about choppers, harriers, ac130s etc. but why the hell are you running out in the open when the enemy calls them out. You complain about snipers but snipers mostly look forward (rarely checking there back), so go around. Stop being lazy, take those extra steps to knife or shoot him. Also most snipers have a claymore behind them so toss a sticky or frag to murk the claymore and him, simple.

Raadius

Banned
Kyoufu said:
No, it's not.

Been trying out the silenced UMP a bit and I have to say it's very effective, but probably only because of lightweight and strafing. I can do better with a silenced SCAR or ACR, even though they slow you down and make you more prone to be killed by someone spawning closeby and out for revenge.

edit: UAV online

mr_boo

BigJonsson said:
They really need to release the new maps before I get so bored with this game that I trade it in
Heh...I would be happy if they just properly randomize maps. I like Terminal but I don't want to play it 2x in a row :lol

DeuceMojo said:
Whoa! Sounds like you're lamenting a death in the family or something... it's gonna be OK, man, it's gonna be OK. :lol
Dude! If you could've seen how I died, you'd be crying with me. I ran into the door by C assuming nobody would be in the stairs...maybe further down the hall for me to knife, but not on the stairs. There were 2 guys on the stairs, and they were as surprised as me! They panicked and kept missing and dancing around and so did I, and eventually they won out. Such an incredibly lame way to lose a nuke. :(

Lionheart1827 said:
In the first couple of weeks it came out, yes there were some fucked up balancing and glitching, but now people complain too much imo. The worst part is spawns.

People here will beg to differ though.
Despite all my bitching, I'd be content if they just fixed the spawning, matchmaking (no more laggy americans taking 2x the amount of bullets to die PLEASE) and some of the absolutely worst imbalances, like the OMA tubing.

Zeitgeister said:
Been trying out the silenced UMP a bit and I have to say it's very effective, but probably only because of lightweight and strafing. I can do better with a silenced SCAR or ACR, even though they slow you down and make you more prone to be killed by someone spawning closeby and out for revenge.
This! I use the UMP all the time because I need the speed an SMG provides and I really only like the UMP and Vector (the rest are too hard to hit anything with for me), but I just can't see what about the UMP is such a monster. It has so much recoil and you have to fight it so much, even with a silencer on, that any assault rifle is automatically superior simply because you don't have to aim as well. I always pick up a decent assault rifle as soon as I find one, to keep some of the speed but get more kills. SMG's just plain suck to me, all of them.

Nizz

Strider2K99 said:
They are getting rid of the speed boost from Care Package/Sentry/ E-Drop markers and fixing being able to put sentries into walls and other geometry as well as fixing the Bling 1887s that got through the last time.
Much thanks! I didn't know about the sentry gun issue. Jesus, it seems like something new's discovered every week.

aku:jiki said:
Despite all my bitching, I'd be content if they just fixed the spawning, matchmaking (no more laggy americans taking 2x the amount of bullets to die PLEASE) and some of the absolutely worst imbalances, like the OMA tubing.

If it makes you feel better even here in the US there is a slight bit of lag as well, at least more than COD4 EVER had. But I agree, the only big things I want fixed is the spawn and the glitches. Even though I have shit days/games, I always blame myself most of the time.

Lionheart1827 said:
If it makes you feel better even here in the US there is a slight bit of lag as well, at least more than COD4 EVER had. But I agree, the only big things I want fixed is the spawn and the glitches. Even though I have shit days/games, I always blame myself most of the time.
That's us euros lagging up your games and running around being invincible!

So the winning killcam in the game I just had was a guy half-scoping, as in firing before he even quickscopes. What is that about? I know it's a legit technique and stuff, just wondering what the mechanics are or whatever.

VALKYRAY

Banned
eternaLightness said:
scavenger?

kuYuri

fps fanatic said:
Much thanks! I didn't know about the sentry gun issue. Jesus, it seems like something new's discovered every week.

Yeah, the sentry gun glitch has been around awhile, but it's rarely ever used or very few people know of it. I play on 360 and I've put around 4 days 16 hours into the game and have yet to see anyone do it in my games.

BTW, this patch was already released on PC version and now we're just waiting on console versions to get it.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
So I got a bit fatigued on MW2 and went back for some CoD4 goodness. This game holds up sooo good, it's a breath of fresh air after playing non-stop MW2. I love ghosting around with the MP5 and I like the look and sound of the AK better in CoD4. It's so nice not having to worry about equipping two perks just to fend off heartbeat sensors and killstreak campers (coldblooded and ninja)

Also, the best maps of CoD4 are just fantastic. Crash, Vacant, Strike, District, etc. etc. Constant action, all the time. So much better than having to deal with the campfests on Derail, Wasteland, Estate, etc. etc.

Like I've said before, there's something to be said about the simplicity in gameplay of earlier CoD titles like CoD1,2 and 4. MW2 has SO MANY perks and killstreaks that it's just a completely different game than CoD4 and earlier CoD titles. I love MW2 but CoD4 still scratches a certain itch for me. More pure gun on gun combat.

I'd LOVE to see a barebones playlist in MW2, would absolutely LOVE to. It's a different style of play. More reliance on your weapons than other factors. I don't know why IW hasn't included something like this.

Mush

Cerrius said:
I'd LOVE to see a barebones playlist in MW2, would absolutely LOVE to. It's a different style of play. More reliance on your weapons than other factors. I don't know why IW hasn't included something like this.
I swear if IW ever puts up a CoD4 like playlist (UAV, Airstrike, Chopper only) I will never touch anything else again. Also, obligatory hi all, first post, lurking for two years, etc.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
just wanna distinguish for a second between good and bad sniping and maybe see what you guys feel about this, maybe the bad sniping is actually extra good sniping in your eyes?

lets use Estate as a map, good snipers are the guys on the roof, in the windows of the buildings, on the cliff looking down - these guys are overlooking the map trying to get a good vantage point and hoping to pick people off who aren't careful about where they show their face. its helping your team control a map.

bad sniper - someone who goes to the corner by the greenhouse where there's loads of foliage, grass and trees etc, lies down and camps that alley leading up from the waterfall. thats not sniping, thats just camping with a sniper. one guy did this with cold blooded pro and when I went back for revenge, I couldn't even figure out where he was cos he just blends in. I'd thrown a flash bang inthere so I could rush over but I just ended up looking around the floor like an idiot. Ended up getting killed a few times by him or a team mate of his who happened to be walking past. It was one of the few times I knew where a sniper camper was, he was easy enough to get to but just wasn't worth the cost of trying to kill him.

maybe I should have tried to noob tube his ass.

kaizoku said:
just wanna distinguish for a second between good and bad sniping and maybe see what you guys feel about this, maybe the bad sniping is actually extra good sniping in your eyes?

lets use Estate as a map, good snipers are the guys on the roof, in the windows of the buildings, on the cliff looking down - these guys are overlooking the map trying to get a good vantage point and hoping to pick people off who aren't careful about where they show their face. its helping your team control a map.

bad sniper - someone who goes to the corner by the greenhouse where there's loads of foliage, grass and trees etc, lies down and camps that alley leading up from the waterfall. thats not sniping, thats just camping with a sniper. one guy did this with cold blooded pro and when I went back for revenge, I couldn't even figure out where he was cos he just blends in. I'd thrown a flash bang inthere so I could rush over but I just ended up looking around the floor like an idiot. Ended up getting killed a few times by him or a team mate of his who happened to be walking past. It was one of the few times I knew where a sniper camper was, he was easy enough to get to but just wasn't worth the cost of trying to kill him.

maybe I should have tried to noob tube his ass.

I agree with your definition of bad sniper but it should be renamed cheap sniper, although its no worse than all the people who hide with shotty's and so on.

Good snipers like you said get in good positions, I also find them more impressive when they make pushes and move around the map well rather than just locking one area down

jiien

Guileless said:
Interesting. Like I said, I've never played any CoD multiplayer before last week. I was under the impression that progression was the great draw of the game. So if you don't improve gear and abilities as in an MMO, how does CoD's progression model draw so many people in?

The more you play, the more you'll gravitate toward certain guns for certain purposes. The SCAR, is the first (if I recall correctly) AR you unlock, and it is an absolute beast at mid range, with decent close and far range capability. In contrast, the FAMAS murders at long range, and the M4 has a much better fire rate than the SCAR (which can get you killed if you aren't so great with the precision aiming).

Later on though, you'll find that other guns, while not necessarily wholly better, are better in select situations. The ACR with an ACOG has virtually no recoil (whereas the SCAR, for example, is nearly unusable with one), and the TAR handles like a semi-SMG, completely outclassing every other AR when it comes to close range (and makes for a decent mid-range weapon).

I just used ARs an an example. While you can use one gun that you prefer for the majority of all maps, and the ARs you get in the beginning are competent and good in their own right, every one of them (except for the F2000 maybe, that gun just blows) is usable in a variety of situations.

I think that this iteration of CoD has some of the best gun balancing in a long time (besides the obvious silliness of dual shotguns and that kind of nonsense). Every gun has its own feel, and unique use.

Edit: Realized I went off on a tangent, and didn't really directly answer your question. Besides the obvious e-peen draw of having potentially millions of users see how good you are, what titles you have, and your level at some point, I think the draw to leveling up is having all of those weapons available to you for any map, any situation. People complain that getting more custom classes for prestiging is a crappy reward for such a time investment, and I can tell you that those people haven't hit high enough level of play to know how important custom classes are. I can easily fill up eight class slots right now of combinations I just NEED to have available (unfortunately, I'm only about to hit my second prestige, and so only have 6 custom slots D: ), and all because the guns are unique and diverse. There is always going to be overlap in the use of every gun, but being good with all of them makes you a very formidable player indeed.

Edit2:

bobs99 ... said:
I agree with your definition of bad sniper but it should be renamed cheap sniper, although its no worse than all the people who hide with shotty's and so on.

Good snipers like you said get in good positions, I also find them more impressive when they make pushes and move around the map well rather than just locking one area down

I disagree, though it depends on what map you were playing, and what mode. I think I (and other people on this board) have said this before earlier in the thread, but basically, people mistake good teamwork for camping all the time. Camping is sitting in a remote, low-traffic room, watching a doorway that has no strategic value for his/her team. S/he is literally watching a useless door, and pulling the trigger if someone walks by. That style of play is in poor taste.

If that door, however, had strategic value for a team member or the team as a whole (such as the entrance to a good sniping spot, or the building that the team has locked down), then there is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with watching your backs, and protecting your friends.

So for the example above, if they were guarding the house, then there is nothing wrong with what that sniper did. He is protecting one direction, one way of getting to the house. He watches his teammates backs, and they watch his. If he had no teammates around, and was sitting there the whole game regardless of what his teammates were doing, giving them no help at all, then yes, that is camping.

Arguably, no sniping is camping though, as any sniper killing someone at a distance is giving a tangible benefit to his team. If the sniper is using his rifle to pop people in that remote doorway though...that's a different story.

ultim8p00

Banned
aku:jiki said:
Dude! If you could've seen how I died, you'd be crying with me. I ran into the door by C assuming nobody would be in the stairs...maybe further down the hall for me to knife, but not on the stairs. There were 2 guys on the stairs, and they were as surprised as me! They panicked and kept missing and dancing around and so did I, and eventually they won out. Such an incredibly lame way to lose a nuke. :(

This! I use the UMP all the time because I need the speed an SMG provides and I really only like the UMP and Vector (the rest are too hard to hit anything with for me), but I just can't see what about the UMP is such a monster. It has so much recoil and you have to fight it so much, even with a silencer on, that any assault rifle is automatically superior simply because you don't have to aim as well. I always pick up a decent assault rifle as soon as I find one, to keep some of the speed but get more kills. SMG's just plain suck to me, all of them.

I don't understand this. Maybe you are playing an SMG class like an AR class? I dunno. I find the UMP+Silencer to be one of the best combos out there. It's so badass I can snipe with it. It has some of the most quite gunfire in the game with silencer on and I literally shoot people and their teammates ignore me. It has a great fire rate and high damage. Combine that with marathon,lightweight and commando pro and I basically do whatever the fuck I want with it...except long range battles.

jiien said:
I disagree, though it depends on what map you were playing, and what mode. I think I (and other people on this board) have said this before earlier in the thread, but basically, people mistake good teamwork for camping all the time. Camping is sitting in a remote, low-traffic room, watching a doorway that has no strategic value for his/her team. S/he is literally watching a useless door, and pulling the trigger if someone walks by. That style of play is in poor taste.

If that door, however, had strategic value for a team member or the team as a whole (such as the entrance to a good sniping spot, or the building that the team has locked down), then there is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with watching your backs, and protecting your friends.

So for the example above, if they were guarding the house, then there is nothing wrong with what that sniper did. He is protecting one direction, one way of getting to the house. He watches his teammates backs, and they watch his. If he had no teammates around, and was sitting there the whole game regardless of what his teammates were doing, giving them no help at all, then yes, that is camping.

Arguably, no sniping is camping though, as any sniper killing someone at a distance is giving a tangible benefit to his team. If the sniper is using his rifle to pop people in that remote doorway though...that's a different story.

I agree and I do think guarding high traffic areas is legitimate after all you stand a good chance of getting killed and so are taking a risk for the team, however camping is camping, if your staying in one area staring down a pathway no matter the reason its garunteed to get you some cheap kills and thats where I think the frustration lies.

Beneficial or not its a pretty cheap strategy and has the potential to lead to some pretty dull gameplay.

Top Bottom