• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Eric WK

29de62x.jpg

And before you ask, no, I didn't even look at a capture point all match.

jiien

bobs99 ... said:
I agree and I do think guarding high traffic areas is legitimate after all you stand a good chance of getting killed and so are taking a risk for the team, however camping is camping, if your staying in one area staring down a pathway no matter the reason its garunteed to get you some cheap kills and thats where I think the frustration lies.

Beneficial or not its a pretty cheap strategy and has the potential to lead to some pretty dull gameplay.

Well, call it what you want then, but "camping" in that sense is a perfectly legitimate way to get kills. If you're a fool enough to continually run in his line of sight when you know where he is, then I don't know what to tell you. Moreover, for a teamwork-centric experience (at least for the non-FFA mode, of course), you should have a mic, and should be communicating. Sure, I die to people that frustrate me, because it seems cheap. But that's just because I didn't want to die, and did anyway. Just because he bested me when I didn't think he should have doesn't make make him a "camper" (with the stigma it carries). It just means that I know where he is now, and so do all my teammates as soon as I die, and there are numerous ways to get around someone doing that. At the very least, I know NOT to go there again. It reduces his effectiveness to zero, and makes it such that the six of us can then gang up on the other five members, and therefore theoretically have the advantage.

And seriously, the reason you are staring down that pathway is everything. What is right and wrong is obviously high subjective, especially when people are playing in a way that the game allows for (ie, not hacking, glitching, cheating). Therefore, the reason why someone is staring down that pathway means everything as to the perception other people will have of him. Is he useful to his team? Then fine, you guard that pathway, and I'll learn how to outsmart you. Is he not useful to his team? Then wow, what an idiot.

I don't even like having true campers on my own team. They are useless teammates, and make it such that the people that actually work together have a disadvantage in numbers.

Guileless said:
Interesting. Like I said, I've never played any CoD multiplayer before last week. I was under the impression that progression was the great draw of the game. So if you don't improve gear and abilities as in an MMO, how does CoD's progression model draw so many people in?

Think of it like a well-balanced fighting game. All of the characters are competitive, even the starting ones. Everybody has their favorites, and you have to work to unlock all of them. Some people will always use a starting character, while others like the very last one you get. A lot of characters are pretty much clones of each other but slightly different (FAMAS/M16, M14/ACR, SCAR/TAR).

You're constantly getting new things to play around with, and chances are you'll find one that you think is the best eventually. And the fact that something new (even if it isn't necessarily better in your eyes) is just around the corner, is enough to keep drawing you in.

(In some cases the last thing is the worst thing. This is true with handguns. When you finally do unlock it, avoid the Desert Eagle at all costs. That thing is abysmally horrible.)

I'm an odd case so I'd like to tell my story and my observations.
Maybe some of you did what I did, maybe you didnt.

On the day MW2 came out I bought 2 copies, one for the PS3 and 360. On the day I bought these games I also purchased my first subscription to Live since I think '07ish.
Sadly my 360 died 4 hours into playing MW2.....
So since launch day up till 3 days ago (got my 360 back!:D ) I have only played the PS3 version, ALOT!!:lol
So I have about 6 days played into my PS3 version, 3rd prestige, 1.5ish K/d ratio, 1.0 W/L, and ranked 60k in points and 40k in kills...so Im not amazing, but Im a middle of the road kinda guy Id say and have a good insight into the game.
Now after having my 360 back and giving my Ps3 rest Ive put maybe 20-25 hours into the 360 version in 3 days (I had off of work, took Vacation time to make MLK holiday longer, free day so to say)

Well Ive found for some reason, which Im blaming on population size, I get terrible lag and a poor connection regulary on Live vs. PSN. Im playing outside a major city and have never had issues with ping, even when I check the room ping it seems a high majority of Live users float between 3 Green down to 2 with very few 4 bar guys. Im guessing this is due to population vs. PS3, meaning more players higher chances of poor host? Usually on PSN its been a regualr sight to see a most players 3-4 bar with hardly ever anything lower.
This "ping,connection" type issue Im also holding accountable for a more abundance amount of dropped games and party issues Ive encountered I never seen as bad on PSN.

Next issue, Ive come to see, which Im contributing to population size also, a higher amount of "Cheese".
When I say "Cheese" I mean a room is usually filled with a majority of Duel Shotties, Speed Knifers, and OMA toobers. Being a low level on Live I feel I need to play my speed class to compete (its fastest to aquire) and I have to push my self to get the rest of the unlocks (1887, OMA etc..) to compete equaly. Now on PS3 a room is usually a small amount of these people, sometimes you will go numerous games or a whole night were the worse youll have is 1 1887 enthusiast and 2 Speeders...OMA is very rare actually from what Ive seen.
Just like the ping issue Im guessing "the bigger the population, the more abundant the occurence"?

And for tiny things, Live seems to have more Choppah Gunner occurences and Ive actually seen more nukes in 3 days then Ive seen on PS3 since launch, dont know why this is tho, I cant say I attribute this to population.
Thats the only real issue's gameplay wise I've encountered, in my experience...yours could be different.

Lastly, I must be a genetic freak, and I asked this earlier in the thread to but no one seemed to have a tip or 2.
The 360 controller...it hurts me and I cant aim to save my soul, Im serious. I cant figure
out what Im doing wrong...
I dont have small hands, there big skinny hands (Im over 6feet, and very thin, I can palm a basketball etc) But when I use my 360 controller after a while my thumbs get tired and my hands cramp to the point were I have to set it down and shake them. I always heard it was the idea FPS controller and figured I would excell but my left stick feels like its flopping all over the place. Has anyone else had this issue or have any tips to adapt to the 360 controller? Do they make a PS3 replica that will function on th 360? I have heard I just have to "keep using it", but man the cramping makes my time playing a chore to some degree.

suggestions/insight? Any other double dippers?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Eric WK said:
http://i50.tinypic.com/29de62x.jpg[img]

And before you ask, no, I didn't even [I]look[/I] at a capture point all match.[/QUOTE]
What's your K/D?

[QUOTE=Pkm]
Well Ive found for some reason, which Im blaming on population size, I get terrible lag and a poor connection regulary on Live vs. PSN. Im playing outside a major city and have never had issues with ping, even when I check the room ping it seems a high majority of Live users float between 3 Green down to 2 with very few 4 bar guys. Im guessing this is due to population vs. PS3, meaning more players higher chances of poor host? Usually on PSN its been a regualr sight to see a most players 3-4 bar with hardly ever anything lower.
[/QUOTE]
That's odd. I play the 360 version, but I'm from Australia so I get 1/2 bars every game.

But the people that I play in those games are almost always the full 4 bars. The only time I see the majority of people in a game have 2 or less bars is when the majority are Australian and an American gets host somehow.

Of course, if your not American that could also be the problem. Since I wouldn't be surprised if there are more Europeans on the PS3 version.

Mush

So about the UMP45, which seems to be GAF's (and everyone's favourite) SMG, is there a particular technique to using it? I've only started using it (P90 for life <3) and I find myself missing targets and unable to keep it straight when ADS. I'm playing on default sensitivity btw. Maybe just something I'll have to adapt to I guess?

Mush said:
So about the UMP45, which seems to be GAF's (and everyone's favourite) SMG, is there a particular technique to using it? I've only started using it (P90 for life <3) and I find myself missing targets and unable to keep it straight when ADS. I'm playing on default sensitivity btw. Maybe just something I'll have to adapt to I guess?

Once I strapped a SIlencer on the UMP it was godly. Maybe its all in my head but I feel like a silenced UMP is ungodly accurate med-close with no recoil. Plus when its mixed with a speed class you can get into enemy territory and make fast kills undetected.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Pkm said:
Once I strapped a SIlencer on the UMP it was godly. Maybe its all in my head but I feel like a silenced UMP is ungodly accurate med-close with no recoil. Plus when its mixed with a speed class you can get into enemy territory and make fast kills undetected.

This is correct...

Mush

F#A#Oo said:
This is correct...
Huh. Maybe I just need to use it a bit more. I just can't seem to "lock" on to moving targets. All those 3000+ kills with my P90 have made me unable to use anything else.

Aurora

wud said:
Encountered a brand new glitch on the PS3 today, got killed on S&D, fair enough. Watch the killcam back and the person has no gun, it looked like a partially textured "pipe" facing downwards with a tactical insertion crosshair, he pointed it at me and there was no gunshot noise, just some weird whirring then i died :lol

asked him what the fuck it was and he laughed down his headset so its still a mystery to me
It's a really old glitch that's been around since the first week of release. It basically lets you use equipment like guns i.e. you can fire them at people. The glitch is completely pointless because your accuracy has to be perfect to hit anyone, meaning you are fucked against pretty much every weapon.

clashfan

Pkm said:
I'm an odd case so I'd like to tell my story and my observations.
Maybe some of you did what I did, maybe you didnt.

On the day MW2 came out I bought 2 copies, one for the PS3 and 360. On the day I bought these games I also purchased my first subscription to Live since I think '07ish.
Sadly my 360 died 4 hours into playing MW2.....
So since launch day up till 3 days ago (got my 360 back!:D ) I have only played the PS3 version, ALOT!!:lol
So I have about 6 days played into my PS3 version, 3rd prestige, 1.5ish K/d ratio, 1.0 W/L, and ranked 60k in points and 40k in kills...so Im not amazing, but Im a middle of the road kinda guy Id say and have a good insight into the game.
Now after having my 360 back and giving my Ps3 rest Ive put maybe 20-25 hours into the 360 version in 3 days (I had off of work, took Vacation time to make MLK holiday longer, free day so to say)

This "ping,connection" type issue Im also holding accountable for a more abundance amount of dropped games and party issues Ive encountered I never seen as bad on PSN.

Next issue, Ive come to see, which Im contributing to population size also, a higher amount of "Cheese".
When I say "Cheese" I mean a room is usually filled with a majority of Duel Shotties, Speed Knifers, and OMA toobers. Being a low level on Live I feel I need to play my speed class to compete (its fastest to aquire) and I have to push my self to get the rest of the unlocks (1887, OMA etc..) to compete equaly. Now on PS3 a room is usually a small amount of these people, sometimes you will go numerous games or a whole night were the worse youll have is 1 1887 enthusiast and 2 Speeders...OMA is very rare actually from what Ive seen.
Just like the ping issue Im guessing "the bigger the population, the more abundant the occurence"?

And for tiny things, Live seems to have more Choppah Gunner occurences and Ive actually seen more nukes in 3 days then Ive seen on PS3 since launch, dont know why this is tho, I cant say I attribute this to population.
Thats the only real issue's gameplay wise I've encountered, in my experience...yours could be different.

Lastly, I must be a genetic freak, and I asked this earlier in the thread to but no one seemed to have a tip or 2.
The 360 controller...it hurts me and I cant aim to save my soul, Im serious. I cant figure
out what Im doing wrong...
I dont have small hands, there big skinny hands (Im over 6feet, and very thin, I can palm a basketball etc) But when I use my 360 controller after a while my thumbs get tired and my hands cramp to the point were I have to set it down and shake them. I always heard it was the idea FPS controller and figured I would excell but my left stick feels like its flopping all over the place. Has anyone else had this issue or have any tips to adapt to the 360 controller? Do they make a PS3 replica that will function on th 360? I have heard I just have to "keep using it", but man the cramping makes my time playing a chore to some degree.

suggestions/insight? Any other double dippers?

Nice stealth troll.

aku:jiki

So I just started getting into Hardcore, and man... Someone posted it earlier in the thread, but it needs to be repeated: HC HQ is where it's at for nukes! divisionbyzorro needs to take note of this! :D

It's a game mode built for camping so camping is ok, and you can so very, very easily score your Harrier just camping the right path to the HQ (while your team has it, of course). I just got one in my 2nd HCHQ game like ever by just camping outside the HQ area on Afghan - the other team all had Commando and just kept dropping down the ridge into my ACR fire like moths to a flame, it was beautiful in a way that can't happen in normal modes.

Unlike HCTDM, there isn't that much of a non-objective camping problem (it exists, but you can just learn where they like to hang and avoid it altogether and take other routes) and you can guide the enemies by taking the HQ. You can also counter corner campers by basically just spraying the shit out of the general bushy area they're in - works out since they die so easily. If you can get teammates to cap for you while you play only for kills and luck out and get an enemy team that actually cares about the HQ, nuking should be a cakewalk. I'm playing this until I get my last 4 nukes.

ultim8p00 said:
It's so badass I can snipe with it.
I don't get this praise. Every gun in the game can do this, even handguns if you aim awesomely. As for playing AR style, haha, if I could record my games... No. I am an insane runner. UMP just doesn't kill as fast as an AR at any range for me.

Yeef

That's fairly old news. It's been known for a long time that the Masterkey has insane range for a shotgun, but it doesn't do enough damage to matter in anything but hardcore. Besides, firing your normal rounds will do a lot more damage.

Ecto311

Meier said:
Woo! Got Price! 10th kill was a close one...they almost got the jump on me. Very excited.

I just recently got him as well. I feel bad though because the other team was complete garbage. TDM and we went 7500 to their 2300. I was thinking it would be some awesome game but no, just a bunch of shitty players and bam I had it. Oh well, never seen it on anyone else so I still use it.

I don't know if there is a way to find out, but the game should let you know what you did to get a certain emblem. Sometimes you get them or see them and have to google it just to see wtf it is from.

aku:jiki

So is the shotgun attachment worth it besides shooting all across Afghan? Can it replace my Striker at all? Have to give that a shot tomorrow. :D

Cool thing is that it's an attachment, so I don't think it'll turn into a trend. People won't give up their precious heartbeats and thermals.

aku:jiki said:
I'm playing this until I get my last 4 nukes.
Played some more and it's not as easy as it first seemed. Your team really needs to be decent for it to work out at all, otherwise you're the one getting killed 5 times in a row by a guy camping the HQ... Secondly, the "ricochet" aspect of it is just stupid. It means you die if you shoot a teammate, which means that a coldblooded teammate who doesn't have any clue what's going on will run into the middle of the enemy swarm as you're chopper gunnering and end up getting you killed by it. The latter is actually a pretty enormous problem. :/

Really don't understand how they could think ricochet was a good idea at all. You only ever hit teammates by mistake anyway, kinda harsh to kill you and ruin your streak for that. I guess IW's idea was to stop the grenade spamming on HQ's, in case there's a teammate already there...but yeah, that didn't work out and people still spam noobtubes.

Raadius

Banned
Pkm said:
Not great from mid - long range. If I have my TAR21 vs. your silenced UMP from mid range, ull be dead before you get a shot off.

ultim8p00

Banned
Have you ever gotten into one game where all your teammates are just a bunch of idiots?

On scrapyard ALL my guys would like bunch up in one spot and start shooting. All 5 of them. No one is checking the other's back. 5 easy kills for the enemy. Happened all the time.

On derail they kept running in front of a sentry gun trying to shoot it and kept dying.

Trying to shoot down Harrier with ARs and getting mowed on Afghan. FFS if you don't have a launcher stay inside. Stop giving the other guys points.

I'm shooting at an enemy. One of my guys had a shotgun. I don't know why he didn't just come in and blast the guy I was shooting, but he decided to throw a fucking stun grenade. So now I'm stunned. I manage to take down the guy I was shooting but I can't run away. His friends come and kill me. Game winning kill. We loose by one kill. Fucking stupid falkgf fuck idiotlalskda;lkjg.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
ultim8p00 said:
Have you ever gotten into one game where all your teammates are just a bunch of idiots?
Yep!

Last night. It was great because I was getting so many kills, like well over half of the teams.

jiien

Raadius said:
Not great from mid - long range. If I have my TAR21 vs. your silenced UMP from mid range, ull be dead before you get a shot off.

Very much agreed. Actually, I would argue that the TAR is on equal ground with the UMP (if not better, as the fire rate on the TAR is much better, and with steady aim, it's basically an SMG that can hit mid-somewhatlong ranges). I've outgunned everything but dual shotguns with the TAR at close range. It's a better SMG than all of the SMGs.

Edit:

ultim8p00 said:

Haha, somewhat similar to your example, I absolutely HATE it when idiots run after someone trying to knife them, when (at the range they were at) they should clearly have just shot them. And had they shot them, instead of chasing after the guy trying to knife him, I wouldn't have gotten shot (because the said idiot doing the chasing was also supposed to be watching my flanks). Like, what the hell guys, the idea is to KILL them. So just freaking KILL them.

ultim8p00

Banned
jiien said:
Very much agreed. Actually, I would argue that the TAR is on equal ground with the UMP (if not better, as the fire rate on the TAR is much better, and with steady aim, it's basically an SMG that can hit mid-somewhatlong ranges). I've outgunned everything but dual shotguns with the TAR at close range. It's a better SMG than all of the SMGs.

http://www.modernwarfare247.com/weapons/sub-machine-guns/ump-45

http://www.modernwarfare247.com/weapons/assault-rifles/tar-21

huh? (I should have pretty much just bolded everything)

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Yay got my first nuke on rundown in demolition :D

used a noob tube plus OMA, however, in my defense I was actually defending the bombsite so don't judge me too harshly :lol

edit: I still think nukes were an awful thing to put in the game. Look what they turned me into.

jiien

ultim8p00 said:

What's wrong? From the links you posted, the TAR is 800 rounds per minute, the UMP at 650 (or thereabouts? They have two different numbers there). The TAR fires more often than the UMP, which much better accuracy and longer range (over five times the effective range, according to the links). The little bars you see (as well as the ones in game)? They are mostly for show, to compare to other guns. They aren't accurate as far as visual/numeric fidelity goes.

Victrix

*beard*
DRE Fei said:
I'm speechless after that video. IW must be cursed. As soon as they patch something, new shit shows up crazier than before.

It's not a glitch. Masterkey has always had that range. The damage at that distance is pitiful.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1773/bestchartever.png

Now the infinite care package glitch on the other hand, that shit needs to be fixed, pronto. Game is pretty much ruined at the moment, we couldn't find a match all night without someone (or multiple people) calling in a constant rain of air support.

DRE Fei

Yeah, but it must suck for people who play the hardcore modes. That dude was one-shotting people across the map with that thing. Do they call it master key because it opens up your skull?:lol

Also, I thought the infinite care package glitch was patched already. WTF?!

i_am_ben said:
Yay got my first nuke on rundown in demolition :D

used a noob tube plus OMA, however, in my defense I was actually defending the bombsite so don't judge me too harshly :lol

edit: I still think nukes were an awful thing to put in the game. Look what they turned me into.

Consider yourself judged harshly :lol

Victrix

*beard*
kyo_daikun said:
Consider yourself judged harshly :lol

Out of all the random stupid builds/glitches that have come up, the OMA/Danger Close tubing setup is probably my least favorite :( It completely ruins Headquarters, and it isn't much fun when most of the enemy team is running it in any mode.

DRE Fei

Victrix said:
The FAL or the UMP kill in one shot at any distance in Hardcore, without SP.
I know, but I was talking about the shotgun attachment on the FAL. I don't play hardcore, but holy hell that shit needs to be patched ASAP.

Victrix said:
Out of all the random stupid builds/glitches that have come up, the OMA/Danger Close tubing setup is probably my least favorite :( It completely ruins Headquarters, and it isn't much fun when most of the enemy team is running it in any mode.

Thia and people on your team running up next to you when a pred missile is incoming are my only pet hates with the game at the moment, I have to be honest I wasn't a tube hand before but now...

Victrix said:
It's not a glitch. Masterkey has always had that range. The damage at that distance is pitiful.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1773/bestchartever.png

Now the infinite care package glitch on the other hand, that shit needs to be fixed, pronto. Game is pretty much ruined at the moment, we couldn't find a match all night without someone (or multiple people) calling in a constant rain of air support.

Your chart suggests that the masterkey has a 25point damage upto about 10m. Put stopping power on and play in HC and that still doesn't count to 100 though does it?

I'm assuming that 100 points is full health.

Well, in that you tube vid, the guy is getting 1 hit kills from what I can only assume is more than 20m away, from the hip. He's killing guys through that gap, whilst he is standing way past the crane on the other side. It still doesn't add up.

eek5

DRE Fei said:
I'm speechless after that video. IW must be cursed. As soon as they patch something, new shit shows up crazier than before.

He is playing hardcore mode and the cross-map masterkey that is shown cuts in with him firing one shot then reloading (who knows how many shots he fired before that) on top of that someone on his right is masterkeying right at the guy across the map as well. After about 5 shots the guy dies.

From that distance there are about 11 guns that deal a one hit kill in hardcore and probably ALL the guns do one hit kill with stopping power at that range so how exactly is this "crazy"?

Don't expect to attach it to your gun and start getting cross map kills in HC just because you saw it in this video :lol

Hell, in core it can sometimes take me 2+ shots with stopping power and steady aim to kill someone at point blank range

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scjp_3vffPM (see kill at 0:39)

Victrix said:
Yes, and its easier to do, and can be done with sentries or emergency air drops

Basically, yeah. I played about 15 matches today and there was someone doing it in at least 13 of them. My first match of the day had a whole team doing it; they must have launched 6 harriers at once towards the end of the game. :(

moojito

I'm not sure if I've been in a game with that glitch being exploited (still getting to grips with the game and not sure what's happening a lot of the time), but I briefly switched to one of my non-cb builds last night and noticed I was dying constantly to air support of one type or another. If any other new folk are having trouble staying alive, I'd suggest giving the cold blood a shot.

EliCash

What the hell happened to Host Migration - a feature that IW were so keen to highlight. Whenever the game tries to find a new host it fails more often than not. Too many good matches have been ruined due to the host leaving or migration failing or being unable to connect to server.

eek5

moojito said:
I'm not sure if I've been in a game with that glitch being exploited (still getting to grips with the game and not sure what's happening a lot of the time), but I briefly switched to one of my non-cb builds last night and noticed I was dying constantly to air support of one type or another. If any other new folk are having trouble staying alive, I'd suggest giving the cold blood a shot.

One way to tell is when you see a bunch of precision airstrikes and attack helicopters being called in since almost no one uses those :lol Played some more matches and about 70-80% of them had people glitching infinite supply crates. Ugh

EliCash said:
What the hell happened to Host Migration - a feature that IW were so keen to highlight. Whenever the game tries to find a new host it fails more often than not. Too many good matches have been ruined due to the host leaving or migration failing or being unable to connect to server.

You'll see it fail if you can't connect to the new host. I've seen that message when half my party was still in the game but I couldn't connect to the new host. Is your NAT open?

Top Bottom