• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Sealda said:
Bitching about useless scavenger.

Sorry, you're wrong. Let's suppose you use a gun like the SCAR, which has a grand total of 60 bullets. You can easily burn through a clip to take out a pair of guys, and now you are down to 40 bullets. Try to pick off a guy running at a distance and you might use ten or more. Scavenger can not only refill your ammo, it also acts like bandolier from CoD4 when Pro'd and hence gives you 6 spare magazines instead of two. Now you wont need to run out there to get more ammo or a new gun because you have plenty of extra.

Also, do you liek to drop claymores? Throw grenades? Shoot down air support? Scavenger can help you do all of that. Drop a claymore, get a kill, go pick up the bag and plant another claymore in the exact same spot. Odds are buddy will come back for vengeance and get killed a second time. Or not being afraid to "waste" a stinger missile on a UAV in ccase an Apache/Pavelow shows up. Scavenger fixes that problem.

Every single perk in the game has its place, and depending on your playstyle one may be infinitely more effective than something else. For example, I dont use Sleight of Hand. Ever. I aim down the sights often, and its never not fast enough. I usually start firing before the sights are even up, so I can get a shot or two in and then hose him down once I'm aiming properly. Most guns reload fast enough, if they dont, you switch to your secondary to quickly handle the situation. Doesnt come out fast enough? Use a pistol, thats what its there for. Pulling a pistol is faster than reloading an SMG with Sleight. Only gun I would use it on is an LMG, but in that case, OMA Pro is just as fast and it refills your ammo/nades at the same time, so it is more useful for me.

Just because you don't use it doesnt make the perk useless. It means that your playstyle isn't suited to it. I have no probelem with spraying two clips into a wall where someone might be, because ammo doesnt trouble me. My accuracy might take a bit of a hit, but I dont care about comparing stats with my friends, I just like getting kills. I highly doubt that you are so free with your magazines, and probably only shoot when you can actually draw a line on the target. If I see someone pass a window, I will gladly pump 30 shots into the wall anywhere around it, and if I land a hit, you better believe I dont stop shooting until I see +100 pop up.

Victrix

*beard*
Scavenger/Claymores is flat out one of the strongest builds in the game, regardless of the rest of your kit if you use claymores intelligently. Infinite secondary grenades is just a nice bonus. The extra primary weapon ammo lets you unload through walls with impunity, because wasting ammo isn't a concern.

OMA is stronger for certain (more abusive) tactics, but Scavenger lets you keep a secondary, which means, for example, AA-12 with extended mags, which is a gun you can't run effectively without Scavenger Pro.

I was part of the 2 great game ending kill cams last night!

First one, on Rundown. Enemy is running across the center bridge and then in his sights you see me "POOF" aka Spawn 30 feet ahead. Bang Im dead! So on a game ending Killcam you get to see me spawn and insta die lol. Totally cool watching yourself materialize and then die.

Second one on the back of Karachi the small roof to the left of the box truck were one team always spawns an enemy is having a CQC fight with a guy atop that tiny roof.
Bullets penetrate the wall behind them and enter the upstairs of the blue building with the fountain inside. Sadly Im in the little room in the blue building and catch all the bullets through the wall from the roof top fight on the ajoining building.
First time I didnt even see myself on the Killcam. Ending Killcam sshowed instead the firefight with the 2 guys on the roof lol.

Mileena

Banned
Meier said:
The K/D ratios on PS3 seem completely put of wack. Is there just a LOT of terrible players on it?
Yes there are. My K/D on PS3 is a ridiculous 3.25 and on 360 it was only 1.83ish
95% of the players are just really damn bad.

Pyke Presco said:
Sorry, you're wrong. Let's suppose you use a gun like the SCAR, which has a grand total of 60 bullets. You can easily burn through a clip to take out a pair of guys, and now you are down to 40 bullets. Try to pick off a guy running at a distance and you might use ten or more. Scavenger can not only refill your ammo, it also acts like bandolier from CoD4 when Pro'd and hence gives you 6 spare magazines instead of two. Now you wont need to run out there to get more ammo or a new gun because you have plenty of extra.

Also, do you liek to drop claymores? Throw grenades? Shoot down air support? Scavenger can help you do all of that. Drop a claymore, get a kill, go pick up the bag and plant another claymore in the exact same spot. Odds are buddy will come back for vengeance and get killed a second time. Or not being afraid to "waste" a stinger missile on a UAV in ccase an Apache/Pavelow shows up. Scavenger fixes that problem.

Every single perk in the game has its place, and depending on your playstyle one may be infinitely more effective than something else. For example, I dont use Sleight of Hand. Ever. I aim down the sights often, and its never not fast enough. I usually start firing before the sights are even up, so I can get a shot or two in and then hose him down once I'm aiming properly. Most guns reload fast enough, if they dont, you switch to your secondary to quickly handle the situation. Doesnt come out fast enough? Use a pistol, thats what its there for. Pulling a pistol is faster than reloading an SMG with Sleight. Only gun I would use it on is an LMG, but in that case, OMA Pro is just as fast and it refills your ammo/nades at the same time, so it is more useful for me.

Just because you don't use it doesnt make the perk useless. It means that your playstyle isn't suited to it. I have no probelem with spraying two clips into a wall where someone might be, because ammo doesnt trouble me. My accuracy might take a bit of a hit, but I dont care about comparing stats with my friends, I just like getting kills. I highly doubt that you are so free with your magazines, and probably only shoot when you can actually draw a line on the target. If I see someone pass a window, I will gladly pump 30 shots into the wall anywhere around it, and if I land a hit, you better believe I dont stop shooting until I see +100 pop up.

Thank you for putting a quick end to the Scavenger sucks belief. :)

Victrix said:
Scavenger/Claymores is flat out one of the strongest builds in the game, regardless of the rest of your kit if you use claymores intelligently. Infinite secondary grenades is just a nice bonus. The extra primary weapon ammo lets you unload through walls with impunity, because wasting ammo isn't a concern.

OMA is stronger for certain (more abusive) tactics, but Scavenger lets you keep a secondary, which means, for example, AA-12 with extended mags, which is a gun you can't run effectively without Scavenger Pro.

This, this, and this.

Infinite C4 is also fun, but only if you're smart enough to detonate C4 with the reload button and not the trigger. I'm not, and end up dropping C4 instead of detonating it half the time.

Lince

Banned
the "who has the better players" discussion and speculation is fucking hilarious, with 6+ million players on both platforms I take for granted there are equally good, average and bad/terrible players on both. Use your logic.

Mileena

Banned
Lince said:
the "who has the better players" discussion and speculation is fucking hilarious, with 6+ million players on both platforms I take for granted there are equally good, average and bad/terrible players on both. Use your logic.
Have you played for a decent amount of time on both consoles? If not, shut the fuck up.

jedimike

Lince said:

Well there are closer to 9M players on XBL, but I see your point.

However, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence in this thread that suggests PS3 players are seeing higher latency than 360 players. And who knows how the matchmaking is happening. I think MS patented their TrueSkill system which supposedly increases the competitive matchmaking. I have no idea if IW implements this, but there does seem to be some general play skill differences between 360 and PS3.

Who knows for sure... could be demographics, controllers, latency, matchmaking, or just plain GAF imagination.

Lince

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
Have you played for a decent amount of time on both consoles? If not, shut the fuck up.

just the PS3 version for 250 hours, insane amount of good, average and terrible players. And watch your language, I didn't offend anyone.

jedimike said:
Who knows for sure... could be demographics, controllers, latency, matchmaking, or just plain GAF imagination.

even if 360 ver matchmaking only puts you against the best player thanks to the patented tech that doesn't mean the average player there is better than the one playing the PS3 or PC version, it's just insane to even imagine that. For God's sake, 6+ million players on PS3, how can you say they're on average better or worse players than those playing the PC or 360 counterparts? have they played against each other? some kind of massive tournament? it's just laughable. But I'll just shut the fuck up :lol

gibration

corkscrewblow said:
You need to calm down. I've played the PS3 version enough to know that there are some really good payers out there. I've met some on GAF and I've met some online to know this. Im sure both consoles have a decent amount of good players.

Mileena

Banned
I'm not saying there's no good players on PS3, just saying the majority of the players are shitty. I'm sure any of the others here who have put some time into both versions will agree with me. My K/D doesn't just go from 1.8 -> 3.25 for no reason

UFRA

corkscrewblow said:

Have you kept track of each individual you played with in order to conduct a significant survey sample to make such a claim?

If not, then...

Just use logic...it helps

uraldix

I can honestly say that I don't think that there is a difference in the number of good players between the two. I get about the same game scores on both when I play now.

Lince

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
I'm not saying there's no good players on PS3, just saying the majority of the players are shitty. I'm sure any of the others here who have put some time into both versions will agree with me. My K/D doesn't just go from 1.8 -> 3.25 for no reason

again, use your brain, the majority is shitty? how can you measure that? only by your K/D? I was 0.43 the first month and I'm now 1.21 averaging a 3 or 4 K/D each game, it only means I played terrible with the rioth shield at the start and now I play better as expected once you get to know the maps and adapt to the flow of the game (and counter cheap builds with cheap builds)... do you think had I started playing on the PS3 and then moved to the 360 version I'd be posting the same nonsense the likes "OMG I was only 0.43 on PS3 they're fucking aces !! or hacks !! I'm doing much better on 360, 'cause they are fair players (or just terrrible). :lol

peace anyway

careful

Sealda said:
Been up 24+ hours now, and here comes a long text.

It has a higher fire rate and its better in most situations.

M4A1: 780
ACR: 720

You really feel the difference. Since both have 30-20 DMG the M4 will kill faster than the ACR and you need to waste less bullets since the fire rate is higher. Also, the M4 is already ridiculously accurate, i at-least feels the ACR is unnecessary accurate and i rather have higher fire rate than super high accuracy.

M4A1 DMG per minute: 23,400---15,600
ACR DMG per mintue: 21,600---14,400

All im saying is that you do not need that much accuracy, the M4A1 and the games auto aim works just fine, in-fact it works wonderful. When do you need the ACRs accuracy over the M4s, its like you do not need it ever. But it feels good to have that kind of accuracy but its kinda useless.
I agree with most of the above, however I think it's interesting to note that according to the Snake graph, the ACR has better damage over range than the other 30-20 ARs.

X26

Banned
Yea scavenger is defidentely nto useless, and my favorite perk 1

Overall perks are the area that IW improved the most over IW. In CoD4 all you ever saw was 3x frag - SP/Jug - martyrdom. While's theres a few that no one really uses like sitrep and hardline, there's a lot more diversity and balance with the perks, especially with the blue perks

Seanspeed

Banned
BolognaSoup said:
I do slight better on PS3 only because I feel like I can finesse the right stick more. It's "looser" so I can make tiny movements better.
Interesting, cuz the 'looser' the controls feel to me, the harder it is for me to make precise movements. In fact, I like my controls so tight, I'm probably one of the few who actually sets the sensitivity level to 'low' so my reticle isn't jumping around all over the place when I'm trying to target a person just cuz I tapped a 'wee' bit too hard on the stick.

My only problem is getting stabbed in the back a bit too much cuz I cant turn around fast enough. :lol

DRE Fei

Dude, Scavenger Pro is awesome. The only class I don't have it on is one of my two sniper classes when I'm trying to quickscope a little bit. Sleight of hand pro is good, but if I'm trying to level up a gun faster, nothing helps like scavenger or bling.

paskowitz

Another class(es) to consider...

This is probably the ultimate camping combo. So far I have only met a few people that have been able to consistently defeat this kit. Also I know its cheap... so please do not berate me...

Class 1
Perks
One Man Army Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Commando Pro (sometimes I use ninja pro but mostly commando so I can fall from high places and run away... lol)

Weapons
Famas (Acog) or Scar (silencer... I usually use ninja with the scar)
Tactical Insertion
Flash

Class 2
Perks
One Man Army Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Ninja Pro (if I use a scope, Its steady aim pro)

Weapons
Barret or Intervention (Acog or Thermal... depends on map... but usually Acog)
Claymores
Flash

Essentially I have infinite ammo and claymores. I can use 2 at a time and cover almost every entrance to every camping spot on any map. Insertion lets me spawn right back in my spot if I die. Commando Pro lets me escape if needed. The Famas is great for medium range and either of the snipers deals with the long range. On Quarry in the tall building near A (domination), on the roof of the building with the fuel tank on terminal and at C in Afghan this combo is virtually unstoppable. On Terminal I can hold down both C and B while killing anyone that is near the doorway near A. If the enemy calls in air support I just switch to my anti air class, die and then spawn back at my insertion.

Don't hate me.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sealda said:
All im saying is that you do not need that much accuracy, the M4A1 and the games auto aim works just fine, in-fact it works wonderful. When do you need the ACRs accuracy over the M4s, its like you do not need it ever. But it feels good to have that kind of accuracy but its kinda useless.
'Just fine', sure. But like you say, it 'feels good' to have that kind of accuracy. It creates confidence, which I think is one of the most important things in finding a gun suited to you.

I use the ACR because not only it is super-accurate, but it also has one of the best iron sights EVER, equally as good as having a red dot sight, if you ask me. Which means I can use FMJ or a silencer and not feel it necessary to use Bling, opening up the ability to use Sleight of Hand or another 1st category perk.

Ultimately, it comes down to what feels best. I dont think there's many guns that are completely useless because of that. For the most part, the selection is quite balanced, and with all the attachments and perks, it means that your customizable class is rarely 'superior' to somebody else's.

Seanspeed said:
Interesting, cuz the 'looser' the controls feel to me, the harder it is for me to make precise movements. In fact, I like my controls so tight, I'm probably one of the few who actually sets the sensitivity level to 'low' so my reticle isn't jumping around all over the place when I'm trying to target a person just cuz I tapped a 'wee' bit too hard on the stick.

My only problem is getting stabbed in the back a bit too much cuz I cant turn around fast enough. :lol

I'm not even talking about sensitivity, but rather how stiff the sticks are. The 360's feel stiffer to me so I more often over aim or am just more sporadic overall. Like it's "spring-ier" or something. I dunno..

neoism

Holy shittttt!

UMP+ lightweight+ HC= :lol I've never really given it a chance... 44-5 later on HC HQ! awesome.. I love being able to run this fast!

dwin45

Hyunkel6 said:
What exactly has been patched for the akimbo 1887? It looks like they still have the same range and power as before...
Their power is the same but their range has been decreased, although they still have the most range of any shotgun.

ultim8p00

Banned
neoism said:
Holy shittttt!

UMP+ lightweight+ HC= :lol I've never really given it a chance... 44-5 later on HC HQ! awesome.. I love being able to run this fast!

Told you guys. Put a silencer on that for maximum destruction.

Also I tried the TAR21 and...yeah...it's not bad but I think UMP beats it. I like the fire rate and the damage, but it slows you down and it's terribly inaccurate and LOUD. Damn this thing is loud, even with the silencer. I like the UMP because I can move fast and deal damage, AND I've got accuracy, plus shooting the UMP with silencer sounds like I'm throwing spitballs. It's like pft pft pft pft pft dead.

Victrix

*beard*
dwin45 said:
Their power is the same but their range has been decreased, although they still have the most range of any shotgun.

Single 1887 has good range, Akimbo 1887 does not. Currently they're bugged with Bling, but that's been patched on the PC, and will be on the consoles soon.

Basically you gain fire rate in exchange for range with akimbo, with the option to fire both barrels for a nearly guaranteed single target kill.

All of the shotguns are quite good, its mostly a matter of personal preference which you use, as they all suit different situations and builds.

Jangocube

Banned
Just went 46-3 on Karachi in a Mercenary Team Deathmatch game and I have to say, if you know the team you are playing against is weak, the best killstreak setup is:

7 - Harrier Strike
9 - Pavelow
11- AC 130

This allows all your air to be up at the same time(where a Pavelow and Chopper Gunner cannot be) and they have no chance of shooting any of it down unless they get a really good spawn. Got a 39 killstreak with that setup. All my killstreaks helped get me to about 26 I believe, then I had to grind out the other 13 the normal way.

Otherwise, the good old 5, 7, 11 killstreak combo is better if you are going against an average team.

RdN

neoism said:
Holy shittttt!

I've been using that class too and it kicks some serious butt.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Is the patch out for 360/PS3?

I can't get home till later and the Infinity Ward forums are broken...(I'm guessing the patch is not going down well? :lol )

RdN

F#A#Oo said:

I can't get home till later and the Infinity Ward forums are broken...(I'm guessing the patch is not going down well? :lol )

I don't think so.. Played a couple games 30 min ago an no update.

kuYuri

F#A#Oo said:

Read the OP. It's updated with latest patch or other significant update in the first few lines.

If I were to guess, assuming nothing goes wrong in certification, patch for consoles should be out this coming week.

I'm just going to repeat something I said earlier: Holo-FAL rocks.

I've never been angrier with teammates than today. We were playing Ground War Domination on Afghan, and the Harriers that I deployed were absolutely wrecking. I went to deploy the Apache, and five seconds later it was down an EMP. Guess where the EMP came from?

The stole it from a care package one of my teammates had called in.

UGH.

Hyunkel6

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm just going to repeat something I said earlier: Holo-FAL rocks.
What's your setup? I have been trying to use the FAL lately, and I can't see its awesomeness. I'm losing almost all my firefights since my opponent can simply squeeze the trigger while I have to press the trigger in rapid successions.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
He's right, the FAL w/Holographic is great because your bullets don't drop at a distance like they do with the Red Dot and it's more accurate.

I have the FAL w/Holographic + Silencer
Stopping Power Pro
Ninja Pro

Sogood.gif

But last night I ditched that set-up for a tad so I could use the Shotgun attachment to see if that YouTube video was full of shit.

It wasn't. I was sniping people with the Shotgun attachment across the map, although, it only shoots 4 bullets per clip and has decreased damage compared to all Secondary Shotguns.

I think the Shotgun attachment's stats are correspondant to the weapon it's attached to which is why the Shotgun attachment is only deadly on the FAL since the FAL has a near 100% Accuracy AND Range.

Cerrius said:
about 25,000 people playing CoD4 on 360 right now.

Not bad for a "dead" game ;-)

Its still kicking on PC too, had a great afternoon playing with a bunch of guys from Germany. No aimbots, no wall hacks, no ridiculous player count (server max was 24 but I doubt it got over 15-16). By far the cleanest server I've played on. Had an absolute blast with it.

Ovid

YLOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put so much time into this game and for this to happen, dammit. Dammit to hell.

X26 said:
Yea scavenger is defidentely nto useless, and my favorite perk 1

Overall perks are the area that IW improved the most over IW. In CoD4 all you ever saw was 3x frag - SP/Jug - martyrdom. While's theres a few that no one really uses like sitrep and hardline, there's a lot more diversity and balance with the perks, especially with the blue perks

hardline is not useless. If you can get a care package, you can get a predator missile. Which leads almost by default to harriers, which lead to pave low, chopper gunner or AC130.

It turns a 'weaker' player into a 10+ kills / 0 deaths player, just as long as you avoid the sniper routes, as they will see you with thermal. (and enemy killstreaks, obviously).

btw, what's this C4 detonating with the reload button?

and is the 6 fears 7 title bugged? Because using the above tactic I got them all in a row and got nothing for it.

Victrix

*beard*
Riot Shield, C4, Stun

Scavenger, Danger Close, Last Stand

Learn to love double tap detonate. And laugh a lot as you blow up your opponents. Best used on small maps in Domination.

gbovo

Just got my first Nuke! I feel like a gaming god right now! Had to turn off the game after the match cause of too much excitement!!!! This coming from one of the biggest FPS noobs on the planet.

I recently switched to M16+Holographic+M1014 and Predator+Chopper Gunner+Nuke :D My perks were/are Scavenger/Stopping Power/Commando

I never, EVER, thought I would get a nuke and that it was only for people who play the game 8hrs a day that can do that.

Sorry if I sound a bit retarded, but I never thought I could get a nuke. YAY!!!1

Top Bottom