• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

BolognaSoup said:
I'm 6'3" and don't have this problem. What are you putting your first thumb knuckle on the stick or something??

Im the same way, Im over 6' tall and can palm a basketballl easy...yet Ive never had a thumb collision with a DS3.

I do have 360 problems tho, the left stick is so thin and floppy to me and I cant be precise with it, also the tip of it is tiny and my thumb slips off of it. To top it off the size of the controller turns me off the most... like so much is spread out, Im sure I could overcome this with more use tho.
Worse thing that happens is the 360 controller makes my hands sore for some reason. I dont know what Im doing wrong but I get palm cramps and have to put it down every few minutes and shake my hands as well as crack my knuckles.

As for what I read about skill concerning PS3 vs. 360 players a few pages back...
I play on both systems, PS3 more tho since my 360 E74'd at MW2 launch, but in playing both I find the 360 players more inclined to be more viscious just because of the abundance of them to use any and all means of cheese play available.
Were a PS3 room might have 1 or 2 1887 guys a 360 room with be 6-8 guys. Just like OMA toobers, care package runners and speed knifers the 360 version has rooms more abundant with these types.

I just think its the attitude maybe of the fanbase. Were I think the 360 players are more diehard FPS fans most likely checking the net to have the constant 1-up on the competition, I think a majority of the PS3 users are pretty "Meh" about FPS's. Tho, I could be wrong.
I do know I bought both versions because I have 6 friends playing on the 360 version and had 5 on PS3...5 of my PS3 friends all traded the game in already in disgust over 1887's, OMA, Knifes etc..., all my 360 buddies are going strong still playing...and yes every single on of my 360 buddies uses the 1887 or OMA religously.
Maybe its 2 different mindsets? Considering my 360 buddies only buy FPS's while my PS3 friends who moved on are still playing DA:O and raving about WKC and FF13 right around the corner.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It only took me a couple of days, but I just got the 400 kills needed to unlock extended mags for the M1014 (my new shotgun of choice). Doesn't make a huge difference, as it only adds two shells to the magazine, but it helps at times. That thing is a beast. Really powerful even without Stopping Power, and quick to reload without Sleight of Hand.

funcojoe

Pkm said:
Im the same way, Im over 6' tall and can palm a basketballl easy...yet Ive never had a thumb collision with a DS3.

I do have 360 problems tho, the left stick is so thin and floppy to me and I cant be precise with it, also the tip of it is tiny and my thumb slips off of it. To top it off the size of the controller turns me off the most... like so much is spread out, Im sure I could overcome this with more use tho.
Worse thing that happens is the 360 controller makes my hands sore for some reason. I dont know what Im doing wrong but I get palm cramps and have to put it down every few minutes and shake my hands as well as crack my knuckles.

As for what I read about skill concerning PS3 vs. 360 players a few pages back...
I play on both systems, PS3 more tho since my 360 E74'd at MW2 launch, but in playing both I find the 360 players more inclined to be more viscious just because of the abundance of them to use any and all means of cheese play available.
Were a PS3 room might have 1 or 2 1887 guys a 360 room with be 6-8 guys. Just like OMA toobers, care package runners and speed knifers the 360 version has rooms more abundant with these types.

I just think its the attitude maybe of the fanbase. Were I think the 360 players are more diehard FPS fans most likely checking the net to have the constant 1-up on the competition, I think a majority of the PS3 users are pretty "Meh" about FPS's. Tho, I could be wrong.
I do know I bought both versions because I have 6 friends playing on the 360 version and had 5 on PS3...5 of my PS3 friends all traded the game in already in disgust over 1887's, OMA, Knifes etc..., all my 360 buddies are going strong still playing...and yes every single on of my 360 buddies uses the 1887 or OMA religously.
Maybe its 2 different mindsets? Considering my 360 buddies only buy FPS's while my PS3 friends who moved on are still playing DA:O and raving about WKC and FF13 right around the corner.

Are you using a wireless controller? I consider myself a highly competitive fps player and I have to use the wired 360 controller other wise the back batterypack on the wireless controller cramps my hands up all day. I also use geltabz and I swear by these things because the 360's analog sticks just suck for grip and dont feel comfortable for my thumbs. I used the Duke for Halo play and never went to the new controller on the original xbox so when I went to the 360 I hated the controller, the geltabs have a slightly raised surface so imo it felt somewhat similar to the dukes thumbsticks.

I actually prefer the FAMAS sight over the M16 sight now. Initially you think the FAMAS sights are too bulky but as you get used to them you realize there is a lot there that helps you line up your shot. There is more visibility with the M16 but the sights don't offer much to help you line up a shot.

My favorite rifle has to be the SCAR though. Great accuracy anywhere with a predictable recoil pattern and perfectly accurate with a silencer at full auto. The MAG size can be depressing but it rarely gets me in trouble.

funcojoe said:
Are you using a wireless controller? I consider myself a highly competitive fps player and I have to use the wired 360 controller other wise the back batterypack on the wireless controller cramps my hands up all day. I also use geltabz and I swear by these things because the 360's analog sticks just suck for grip and dont feel comfortable for my thumbs. I used the Duke for Halo play and never went to the new controller on the original xbox so when I went to the 360 I hated the controller, the geltabs have a slightly raised surface so imo it felt somewhat similar to the dukes thumbsticks.

Yeah wireless. I thought that might be the issue to myself, the weight. Yeah when comparing the DS3 and 360 stick tips I like the rubbery wider DS3 tips, the 360 one feels tiny and has less grip for me.

Olivero

RAGGGGEEEEEEEE from this game. Seriously, if it's not 1887's, it's care package runners, if it's not that, it's emergency air drop glitch... Mass Effect 2 cannot come soon enough that way I can stop playing and hopefully during that time IW will fix this broken game.

Olivero

So I can't rage over obvious problems with the game? :lol
Every game has problems but it seems like as soon as something is fixed for MW2 there is something else that comes up.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
snack said:
Tactical is the only way to go. Does anyone even use a different button setup? :lol
I don't... I usually stick with default control layouts (as do most people, I'd say) unless you can customize button-by-button. From what I've heard, though, tactical is the setup of choice for drop-shot douchebags.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
kyo_daikun said:
Nevah!!!!!!!!

Love the FAMAS, sometimes I fire one burst and they die instantly another I fire 5 bursts into them then they gun me down, you have to love its randomness.

:lol

No I really don't.

KaYotiX said:
its all i use and the m16 is worse than the Famas.

Worse at what? Its every bit as easy to aim is much more powerful.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
shermas said:
for everyone saying a precision airstrike or attack helicopter = care package cheater, couldn't it just be someone using ONE care package and getting one of those perks as the reward? there are plenty of times i get UAV, counter UAV, precision airstrike or helicopter.

my care packages are rarely AC130, AC130, EMP, AC130, etc.

of course I considered this, but its pretty obvious when the other team gets like 3 care packages in a row and their top killer is at 7-4 or so.

2nd time I ran into it some dicks had about 8 care packages on top of the afghan cliff with about 2 air support, 2 sentries already active. didn't even bother playing sabotage, just got a bunch of kills then cheated. we planted the bomb right by them and they didn't bother to defuse it.

The longer it is til IW fix it, the more people will learn it and use it.

me and my buddies left the game afterwards and joined another one where we had a bunch of decent games of sabotage, one of which was back and fro so much it was awesome.

started off with my team rushing the bomb and planting it for the win in within a minute or so, did that twice so the 3rd game the other guys bedded down and defended the base for their lives. there were claymores and bombs going off everywhere, and my team just sending wave after wave of guys in, trying different routes and different weapons and classes and so on.

it didnt feel like anyone was camping, we had just pushed them back that far, eventually they started pushing us back and we were forced to scramble defences. went to overtime and no one bitched out and camped. we played carefully but we didnt just hide somewhere. game rocked.

when people dont care about kill:death ratios or how often you die and disrupt your killstreak or wimp out with the camping (or bloody cheat), the game is so much fun.

killstreaks still add to the game, but they should come as a bonus, not as the goal. its the human element killing this game.

corkscrewblow said:
I think it's just crouch and knife are switched for the drop shot douchebags.

I see. I tend to avoid changing controller schemes just so I can do one thing easier. Like bumper jumper in Halo 3 which allowed easier jumping and meleeing. While it may be superior I found it made me think way too much about jumping instead of just playing my game, and I fear it would be the same here in MW2 where I'd just be looking to drop shot everything instead of playing my game.

Kyzer

Banned
kaizoku said:
when people dont care about kill:death ratios or how often you die and disrupt your killstreak or wimp out with the camping (or bloody cheat), the game is so much fun.

killstreaks still add to the game, but they should come as a bonus, not as the goal. its the human element killing this game.

...unless you're playing TDM. In fact, those are pretty much game-deciding factors.

Belfast

Kyzer said:
...unless you're playing TDM. In fact, those are pretty much game-deciding factors.

Indeed, Team Death Match plays much different from the other Objective-based gametypes. I wish people would learn not to play one like the other.

TDM *is* about Kill-death ratio. Maximizing your kills, minimizing your death. It's much more about hunting other players and, for fucks sake, staying in cover when there's an enemy vehicle up (unless you're actually trying to take it down).

I can't believe how many people don't understand this. Sure, huddling in a building might make you an easier target, but at least you have the chance of fighting back, and you know the enemy might be gunning for you, so you can lay in wait, too.

Objective-based games, like Domination, are much more about throwing yourself at a target location if need be. Yes, tactics are still viable in this mode, but the people sitting back and taking potshots (unless they're obviously defending an area) are not usually an asset to their team. Their KDR might skyrocket, but they aren't capturing points. They're playing it like they would TDM.

I've won so many games of Dom, even when the other team was way up on kills, because I'm actually trying to capture and defend flags.

kaizoku

Kyzer said:

not necessarily. TDM is what you make it, its just all out warfare. thats where you just enjoy the act of pulling the trigger, traversing the terrain, flanking your enemy, taking them out with a nice move or something. you're supposed to enjoy warfare, not seek killstreaks.

so you won the match by camping, but did you win the game? no cos you didnt really play.

Belfast

kaizoku said:
not necessarily. TDM is what you make it, its just all out warfare. thats where you just enjoy the act of pulling the trigger, traversing the terrain, flanking your enemy, taking them out with a nice move or something. you're supposed to enjoy warfare, not seek killstreaks.

so you won the match by camping, but did you win the game? no cos you didnt really play.

Sorry, mate, I see these as contradictory statements.

wud

Neo Member
just had the best evening of search and destroy, me and a couple of mates just rushed the shit out of them every single time, on average most rounds lasted about 30 seconds :lol

Figured out a perfect recipe for estate aswell -- one person grabs the bomb, run up left immediately to the objective near the boat house. Someone follow the person with the bomb and throw a smoke for cover, they plant, everyone gets claymores down and just camp, they can never win because everyone always goes in the mansion or the greenhouse

Loxley

Belfast said:
I've won so many games of Dom, even when the other team was way up on kills, because I'm actually trying to capture and defend flags.

I've been playing Dom and S&D all weekend, and I have to say that in every game of Dom my team has won, we all have more deaths than kills, and half of the losing team often times has twice as many kills as deaths.

The best part is when the kids brag about their kills after the game ends (which has happened with alarming frequency).

facepalm.gif

kaizoku

Belfast said:
Sorry, mate, I see these as contradictory statements.

well I guess you have a different idea of what warfare should be.

In a war individual soldiers do not hole up in rooms completely oblivious to the battlefield, that's not what simulating war is about. That's what preserving your killstreak is about. If its a no respawn mode and you're the last one left, fine, employ every cheap tactic possible. But TDM is a bloody firefight between two sets of soldiers where your death doesn't REALLY matter. Sure if someone hides he gets a better K/D ratio, but if he was in the thick of it covering his team mates back, communicating enemy positions, acting as a decoy, offering a flank, giving cover fire and everything else you can think of, do you not think that just as valuable a contribution? Hell maybe doing that he saves his team mates more deaths?

We play this game in an attempt to replicate a warzone situation, win or lose we just want to experience that environment. Camping doesn't come into the equation. If lots of people are camping, we've failed as a group of players to replicate a warzone hence we all lose out on what the game is really all about and we're left with racking up as much XP as possible.

boo!

aku:jiki

snack said:
Tactical is the only way to go. Does anyone even use a different button setup? :lol
Everyone? Reaction-knifing is impossible with the tactical setup, so you lose every surprised corner battle you ever have with tactical. Lose the knife so I can be a bitch and lie down every time I run into someone? Fuck that, at least a stabbing is face to face.

kaizoku said:
But TDM is a bloody firefight between two sets of soldiers where your death doesn't REALLY matter.
Say what? Your death is another point for the enemy team. The guy camping and dying only twice is helping the team a hell of a lot more than you are if you run out there and die 20 times. I get your point and agree that camping and cheap play isn't fun for me, but you can't argue that he's not helping if he goes 7-2 or so.

It gets frustrating if NOBODY but you in the team is going for flags though. Why don't they understand the simple fact that if we hold 2, we can control their spawn and score massive amounts of kills? That's much better than just camping in a spot and letting them take all flags, idiots! I'm so sick of being spawn-trapped on Highrise because my whole team is too chicken-shit to leave the spawn. :(

kaizoku said:
We play this game in an attempt to replicate a warzone situation, win or lose we just want to experience that environment. Camping doesn't come into the equation. If lots of people are camping, we've failed as a group of players to replicate a warzone hence we all lose out on what the game is really all about and we're left with racking up as much XP as possible.
Gonna have to say I, and most people, play this game as a fun online multiplayer shooter that happens to be set in an urban warfare environment.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Olivero said:
RAGGGGEEEEEEEE from this game. Seriously, if it's not 1887's, it's care package runners, if it's not that, it's emergency air drop glitch... Mass Effect 2 cannot come soon enough that way I can stop playing and hopefully during that time IW will fix this broken game.
I played for the first time ever recently and I heard the care package notification over and over and over. I was like Wtf ? Is this modern warfare or a boy scout camp loli game? Then I perused this thread and read about the exploit.

Meier

Just went 17-8-2 using a Riot Shield on Derail Dom. Got a nice number or kills with some sucker's ACR. It actually got me to 10 total...at level 67. :lol

I can't wait for ME2 to come out, then I can stop playing this game and most likely won't touch it for a long time (BFBC2), it's addicting yet sooooooo frustrating and broken, IW seriously dropped the ball on this game with all the problems it has. Who was the one who thought the spawn system was good, I don't think I've run into a game that has as bad of spawns as this.

I use the tactical layout and I don't see anything wrong with lying down when being rushed, why the hell should I stand face to face when I don't have stopping power on my silenced gun? especially if its a bunch of guys rushing me at once? of course I will lay down if I have no cover.

You guys just want everybody to rush you from where you want them to with no aim and no cover like a bunch of first timers or you will call them douchebags for doing what they can to not get killed.

Edit: I am planning to buy some headphones to soundwhore, any recommendations or link? and what do you guys use?

Why can't every game mode in this be as fun as S&D, it's like the only one where there is no glitching and overpowered aircraft annoying everybody.

Yeef

Meier said:
Is the lying down thing primarily on PS3? Can't remember seeing it even once personally...
It's a rare occurrence and really only helps against people who can't aim (unless it's putting you behind cover obviously). Every time I've run into anyone that's tried that on me it annoyed me, but I was still the one walking away.

Anaxagoras said:
I use the tactical layout and I don't see anything wrong with lying down when being rushed, why the hell should I stand face to face when I don't have stopping power on my silenced gun? especially if its a bunch of guys rushing me at once? of course I will lay down if I have no cover.

You guys just want everybody to rush you from where you want them to with no aim and no cover like a bunch of first timers or you will call them douchebags for doing what they can to not get killed.

Edit: I am planning to buy some headphones to soundwhore, any recommendations or link? and what do you guys use?

I recommend buying a cheapish HtiB personally, like one from wal-mart, the samsung/sony/panasonic ones. Most of them have whisper/night mode if bass is an issue, it will serve you better than overpriced headphones, and you can always piece together a nicer surround system over time. That being said, I have the Tritton '5.1' headphones, while they are not terrible, I greatly prefer my 5.1 to them. The wires have about 30 percent to do with this though, I think the headphones will give a tacticle advantage over standard TV speakers any day though.

Yeef said:
It's a rare occurrence and really only helps against people who can't aim (unless it's putting you behind cover obviously). Every time I've run into anyone that's tried that on me it annoyed me, but I was still the one walking away.

what do you say about a quick game? :D

Stackboy

Australian gamer here. Gamertag is Stackboy Royale. MW2 has pretty much replaced Halo 3 for my shooter of choice. I suck, but have alot of fun with it.

careful

Brian Fellows said:
:lol

No I really don't.

Worse at what? Its every bit as easy to aim is much more powerful.
Although the M16 magically gets a bit more precise if you stick a holo sight on it, the damage over range on the FAMAS drops off at a longer distance than any other 40-30 rifle.

xtheEnemy

Banned
Damn.. danger close pro got me my 7th nuke.

-M16+OMA
-Swtich to class with Danger Close Pro
-Call Harier > 3 kills instantly
-Then AC130 came
-The rest is history :D

6 mins game time of domination

Final score: 43-5

:D

3 more to go!

Terrordactyl said:
I recommend buying a cheapish HtiB personally, like one from wal-mart, the samsung/sony/panasonic ones. Most of them have whisper/night mode if bass is an issue, it will serve you better than overpriced headphones, and you can always piece together a nicer surround system over time. That being said, I have the Tritton '5.1' headphones, while they are not terrible, I greatly prefer my 5.1 to them. The wires have about 30 percent to do with this though, I think the headphones will give a tacticle advantage over standard TV speakers any day though.

I was thinking of buying the turtle beach x41, they are quite expensive but since I have already ordered an hd pvr I thought why not go all in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjQA6z4FTSw
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx4/home.aspx

The only thing that worries me is that I have never really tested such headphones, can't really understand the difference in sound in order to compare it with the prices, is there a lot of difference between 5 and 7.1? and what about the surround sound? is it really worth it?

If they are worth it I might order them since I will not only use them for the xbox.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic here, its somehow game related to me at least.

Anaxagoras said:
I was thinking of buying the turtle beach x41, they are quite expensive but since I have already ordered an hd pvr I thought why not go all in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjQA6z4FTSw
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx4/home.aspx

The only thing that worries me is that I have never really tested such headphones, can't really understand the difference in sound in order to compare it with the prices, is there a lot of difference between 5 and 7.1? and what about the surround sound? is it really worth it?

If they are worth it I might order them since I will not only use them for the xbox.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic here, its somehow game related to me at least.

I have heard good things about the sound quality of the Turtle Beach stuff, although the guy above me said they are not comfortable, but that's probably a user to user occurence. I would probably google the headphones for user reviews before buying though, and I agree I would also go all out if I were to buy them also.

Surround sound is absolutly worth it, given you buy the right cables and have it hooked up properly, if you ever decide to buy one post all your inputs on the forum and the Htib/reciever you are going to buy to make sure you will be able to take advantage of everything.

7.1 in my opinion is not worth it, they are really hard to configure, you have to have a room that is shaped nicely to accomodate and hear the sound properly. 5.1's can be tough to configure, but many of the recievers come with microphones that you hold next to your ear to automatically configure the levels of each speaker and it works very well. Even a poorly configured 5.1 system will sound miles better than your TV set, its definitely nice to hear somes footsteps and be able to hear exactly which direction they are coming from.

It is kind of a 'you have to see it to believe it' thing though, I really didn't think that it added much to games or movies before I went to a friends who was actually running a digital cable and was blown away (you would be surprised by the number of people that use old AV cables with their surround systems.)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
AwesomeSyrup said:
Dude just fyi those headphones aren't very comfortable. I took mine back because it felt like it was squeezing my head.
Total opposite for me (you sure you had the X41s? How big is your head?!).

Can't recommend that set enough.

Gio_CoD

Banned
I've been messing around with coldblooded. It's kind of cool. The other team must hate it when they call in air support and it's gone in seconds. Not sure I like the slower pacing of it though. I prefer to run around and kill people. If I were the head of a clan, I'd definitely keep a good CB guy on there though to fuck up air support.

Raadius

Banned
Olivero said:
The game is not broken, your skills are.

eosos

Banned
xtheEnemy said:
Damn.. danger close pro got me my 7th nuke.

-M16+OMA
-Swtich to class with Danger Close Pro
-Call Harier > 3 kills instantly
-Then AC130 came
-The rest is history :D

6 mins game time of domination

Final score: 43-5

:D

3 more to go!
I hate "noob tubers" with a passion. Really all explosions in the game piss me off.

xtheEnemy

Banned
eosos said:
I hate "noob tubers" with a passion. Really all explosions in the game piss me off.

err.. I don't have grenade launcher on my M16. Got 7 kills before I switch to DCP class

My Danger Close Pro is for Air Support bonus.

Top Bottom