• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Pyke Presco said:
Oh yeah, but its hard as hell to do. I used an AT4 and launched twice into the thing then shot it with 3 full AUG mags before it finally decided to drop(also took me three lives because I was just staring retardedly into the air like a moron). The fact is its next to impossible to do. Harriers are the same, they take more than a full LMG clip to drop. In CoD4 focus fire from a team with 6 ARs could drop a chopper fast enough, in this its very difficult without stingers.

I managed to get lucky enough to get Cold-Blooded from 0 to CB:V in a single match with an RPD. So it's totally doable, although the AUG isn't likely to get it done.

Az

I used the UMP last night for the first time and I feel like I am cheating. Damn this thing, it's that good.

divisionbyzorro said:
I managed to get lucky enough to get Cold-Blooded from 0 to CB:V in a single match with an RPD. So it's totally doable, although the AUG isn't likely to get it done.

Yeah, if you can get it going down the leveling is quick, its just a matter of having a sightline on the thing and being able to get that many shots off(which generally is not the way it works out). I think my record was 71 "kills" on the thing when it was going down, but it takes like 2 minutes of solid positioning and shooting to get it down, unlike in CoD4 where gun fire was actually capable of handling stayover air support. They gave us the stingers for that reason, so its not like the tools arent available, it just bothers me that I have to die before I can take care of the situation.

Also, heres a nice little tidbit from my brother:
Pyke's brother said:
MW2 is broken to shit. Care package glitch is the worst thing yet. I did it one game and killed like 10 teammates by dropping crates on their head while they took all my emergency airdrops. Got 16000 bonus xp. It's literally all [our live friend] does. I can't hear anything in the game anymore with all the air support. Tomorrow and ME2 can't come soon enough.

divisionbyzorro said:
I suppose now is as good a time as any to get the "Heads Up" challenge, huh? :lol

Yeah think so, I have to confess I have asked a few enemies to stand and wait while I drop a care package on their head but none ever seem happy to oblige :lol

aku:jiki

RavenFox said:
I would never ever do that to the team I play with. I still have something I've kept with me over the years called good sportsmanship.
You've never earned a nuke, have you? Time to stop talking shit about it, maybe.

wud said:
No chance, theres no lunge animation but you teleport and kill them, despite the knife never making any connection with the persons body
No. Know the difference between me and you guys? You guys complain about knife runners, I am one. There is no lunge or teleport with a tactical knife. That's Commando with the regular knife.

Use the default class that has it and you'll see the tactical knife is not what you think it is, AT ALL. It's harder to use than the normal knife!

Minamu said:
Wait what? Tac knife + commando = useless combo? o_O News to me.
It might be news to you, but it's a fact. I wouldn't exactly call it useless, though. Commando is beautiful for the jumping around and for when you don't have the knife ready (which you only do when you know you've flanked the enemy team, nobody runs with the TK up at all times).

I could have sworn that commando still worked for me with a tac knife, maybe its just a placebo effect. At least it still gives me drop protection which makes knife running a blast on Favela. Seriously, batmanning your ass down 3 stories to the street and knifing a guy in the back as soon as you hear your legs shatter is so awesome.

EDIT: nobody runs with TK up at all times......except me. Its not like that P90 is gonna kill anybody from a longer distance than my pistol anyway.

divisionbyzorro said:
I suppose now is as good a time as any to get the "Heads Up" challenge, huh? :lol
Got mine during the mental groundwar rust phase awhile back, tossed it down and by pure coincidence a enemy spawned as it landed :lol

aku:jiki said:
Use the default class that has it and you'll see the tactical knife is not what you think it is, AT ALL. It's harder to use than the normal knife!

The tactical knife is best when you roll with Ninja Pro, for sneaky knife running.

I also saw the strangest tactic the other day. Some dude had a riot shield, but had switched to his secondary so it was on his back. He then laid prone at the capture point, constantly spinning and stabbing the air with his tactical knife. If you ran up on him without realizing what he was doing, you got insta-killed by getting your toes chopped off.

divisionbyzorro said:
The tactical knife is best when you roll with Ninja Pro, for sneaky knife running.

I also saw the strangest tactic the other day. Some dude had a riot shield, but had switched to his secondary so it was on his back. He then laid prone at the capture point, constantly spinning and stabbing the air with his tactical knife. If you ran up on him without realizing what he was doing, you got insta-killed by getting your toes chopped off.

:lol

Cornbread78

A.K.A "The twister" the dude had a rough childhood, so he spins with knives in circles constantly... Or "Spinning Killer Turtle Dude"

Jesse Jane said:
considering the emergency air drop glitch was patched with the last update, I'd call that video a fake.
The last update that came out before this version of infinite drops was discovered you mean. Its only been patched on PC so far(maybe?), 360 (and I believe PS3) are still waiting on the fix. This is a different glitch than the old infinite care package one, and it still works quite well on 360 for sure.

Cornbread78 said:
A.K.A "The twister" the dude had a rough childhood, so he spins with knives in circles constantly... Or "Spinning Killer Turtle Dude"

I'm pretty sure he had blast shield on as well, for what it's worth. I guess he thought it would be an effective way to capture the point? I just shotgunned his ankles to death once I figured out what was going on :lol

UFRA

divisionbyzorro said:

Sounds like he was using the Korean Fighting Turtle technique. Nice! :lol

Edit: Sorta beaten....

aku:jiki

Pyke Presco said:
I could have sworn that commando still worked for me with a tac knife, maybe its just a placebo effect. At least it still gives me drop protection which makes knife running a blast on Favela. Seriously, batmanning your ass down 3 stories to the street and knifing a guy in the back as soon as you hear your legs shatter is so awesome.
Knifing in mid-air is even more awesome! One of the killcams I wish I would've saved was me stabbing two guys on the roof by C on Favela, then jumping toward the barber shop stairs but I missed the platform. As I started going past, an enemy came out and I stabbed him while falling, then landed and kept running. Must've been a beautiful killcam! :lol

RavenFox

Banned
greenjerk said:
Be nice junior.
Now I know why people want to choke some folks through the internet. You joined in 2008 didn't you junior? Ask around and get your respect up.

RSTEIN said:
Raven Fox vs. Divisionbyzorro.

Weapon: Tactical Knife Only
Date: Tonight, 8 PM EST
I welcome this friend :lol

mojiimbo

divisionbyzorro said:
I know people on the internet tend to be wrong, but this is pretty impressively wrong. Only an idiot would save his nuke until the end. Too many other things could go wrong between now and then, the worst being someone on the other team earning a nuke. No - if you get a nuke, you use it immediately if you're smart.
I've gotten between 40 and 50 nukes on the 360 by level 60-something of second prestige and I'm at 8 or 9 on PS3 at level 40-something and I always put off launching until the last 10 seconds of the game or so. In game modes with the possible 15 second respawn delay then you launch it a bit earlier. If we're beating the other team by that much I figure that we might as well take advantage of the opportunity and see how the game plays out. The other team getting a nuke is a non-issue since we go to a cold blooded Stinger class as soon as we see the chopper gunner up and if you're observant you can spot the guy controlling the chopper gunner show up as a green cross on your killcam. A failed host migration is a bigger issue but I can't recall ever losing a nuke to that.

RavenFox

Banned
mojiimbo said:
I've gotten between 40 and 50 nukes on the 360 by level 60-something of second prestige and I'm at 8 or 9 on PS3 at level 40-something and I always put off launching until the last 10 seconds of the game or so. In game modes with the possible 15 second respawn delay then you launch it a bit earlier. If we're beating the other team by that much I figure that we might as well take advantage of the opportunity and see how the game plays out. The other team getting a nuke is a non-issue since we go to a cold blooded Stinger class as soon as we see the chopper gunner up and if you're observant you can spot the guy controlling the chopper gunner show up as a green cross on your killcam. A failed host migration is a bigger issue but I can't recall ever losing a nuke to that.
Thank You mojiimbo. Hopefully he gets it.
Sealda said:
Read my earlier post about the nuke now or wait dilemma. Its clearly stupid to hold onto it.

Regarding "sportsmanship" BS. I played a CTF match earlier and i saw a team mate getting killed while she was trying to open a care package. The enemy then runs towards the box and starts opening it. I shots him and gets the airdrop myself. It was a Pavelow btw. So afterwards she freaks out via PM. Really cursing at me and insulting me in all kinds of was for stealing her care package. Even though i was telling her that

1. She should be more careful and clear the area before opening the package
2. The enemy was about to take it!
3. It would be stupid for me to first kill the enemy then sit there wait till you maybe turned up and got it!

Of course she would not listen and continued about sportsmanship bla bla bla.

Cool, how hard would it have been for IW to make emblems, titles that scale with the numbers. For instance, a emblem with a cross that starts out grey and in the end in shining and blinking in a diamondish color etc. Or a Title with the golden skulls that says plain and simple how many nukes you have gotten.
Thank You but your post has nothing to do with what I posted. She was wrong like you said and should know better. My point was nuking halfway through a game. It's kind of selfish don't you think? Think about it. Anyway my layout now is CounterUAV-Pavelow-AC130.

mojiimbo said:

Well, according to my original post, you, sir, are clearly an idiot :lol
jk in case it wasn't obvious

Seriously though: to each his own I suppose - you're taking a rather large gamble IMO. Since you have buddies with you, I suppose it's less of one, but it's still something of risk. My rather, shall we say, "emphatic" response was more aimed at dimwits who believe that it's unsportsmanlike to drop a nuke early into the match than at those who personally would rather just wait.

Personally, if you're going to drop a nuke, I'd rather you did it sooner rather than later, especially if you're on the losing team. I've been on a game of domination where some guy on the other team saved his nuke until we had 199 points; that's bad sportsmanship if I ever saw it. But that's just my opinion. Not counting games where I got dropped into the middle of a nuke countdown (screw you IW), I've only seen about 20 legit nukes, six of which were mine. So it doesn't really matter all that much I suppose.

Finally got my first nuke this weekend. Groundwar Scrapyard domination. Went to use it and sure as shit they drop the game hosting. It still counted for me, but i only ended up with 33 kills total. Wish people would quit being sore losers.

uraldix

DeuceMojo said:
Carry the non-bitching flag!
Hooray, someone else who likes the game!

Oh, also: No, URadich! :lol

I'd like to see the glitches fixed but leave the rest of it. Overall, I like the variety of ways that I can play the game. Sure I have a lowly 1.2 K/D but I have fun playing so I figure I must be doing something right.

Nice catch on the name, you should hear people trying to figure it out in the game lobbies :lol

Cornbread78

Regarding nukes, I played with a guy that got his within 2 minutes of a domination match in sub base and clearly announced it to everyone on our team. (harrier and chopper gunner got him there) He was 28-0 at the time, with the score only 36-22 or so and the rest of the game everyone, I mean everyone, just totally screwed around the rest of the game and he didn't launch the nuke until we had like 192 pts. I couldn't beleive he held onto it that long, the match should have been done in less than 2 mins. I don't think the other team had a clue that he hedl onto it that long.

RavenFox

Banned
You've never earned a nuke, have you? Time to stop talking shit about it, maybe.
Afghan with my ACR then picked up some poor shmucks Famas[combination of Harrier & Chopper Gunner]. 26 straight kills. Now if your going to post crap you know nothing of then keep it to yourself. Like I told divisionbyzorro play the way you want to play Im not going to rag on you for that.

Garjon

I don't think I've ever been in a game where a nuke was announced and half the game didn't ragequit. If you do have a nuke, I'd rather you waited before using it so I can at least get more kills/bigger match bonus; it really doesn't matter the room will probably empty out (the nukees anyway) and the lobby will end up being closed :\

Meier

Knifing in mid-air is even more awesome!
One time I was in the middle of reloading around the B spot on.. shit, drawing a blank. Level with the ravine and the stream going through the middle with the bridges that go over it (with A on one next to a mattress).

Anyway, so I've just killed a guy who was trying to take B and am reloading.. I see a guy has his AH4 (or whatever it's called. I never use launchers outside of air support personally) or RPG aimed my way from down by the stream. In hopes of getting lucky, I try and jump just for the heck of it.. the rocket literally hit me directly in mid air. It was kind of awesome. :lol

Every so often I get a snipe kill or something that I am very, very proud of. I wish you could watch your own kill cams.. I know the guy was probably like WTF when he saw it. :lol

I been playing in a couple of matches where I'll get dropped from a game for an animation error followed by some numbers in red. Anyone ever get that? Better yet does anyone know why it happens?

Also as far as nukes go I'd wait til the end of the match if I wasn't so damn paranoid that the match would get dropped. Host migration is 50/50 sometimes it works other times it just quits out.

RavenFox

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
Well, according to my original post, you, sir, are clearly an idiot :lol
jk in case it wasn't obvious

Seriously though: to each his own I suppose - you're taking a rather large gamble IMO. Since you have buddies with you, I suppose it's less of one, but it's still something of risk. My rather, shall we say, "emphatic" response was more aimed at dimwits who believe that it's unsportsmanlike to drop a nuke early into the match than at those who personally would rather just wait.

Personally, if you're going to drop a nuke, I'd rather you did it sooner rather than later, especially if you're on the losing team. I've been on a game of domination where some guy on the other team saved his nuke until we had 199 points; that's bad sportsmanship if I ever saw it. But that's just my opinion. Not counting games where I got dropped into the middle of a nuke countdown (screw you IW), I've only seen about 20 legit nukes, six of which were mine. So it doesn't really matter all that much I suppose.
I do not have a problem with the way you play buddy and like I sad to each their own. My gripe is you attacked with 'impressively wrong' [now]'dimwits' and 'bad sportsmanship'. Someone told me if the things they are saying aren't true then they must be speaking of themselves. Your opinion? Those aren't opinions but, like I said it's all good and if your on PS3 I would like to play with you or against you :)

Garjon said:
I don't think I've ever been in a game where a nuke was announced and half the game didn't ragequit. If you do have a nuke, I'd rather you waited before using it so I can at least get more kills/bigger match bonus; it really doesn't matter the room will probably empty out (the nukees anyway) and the lobby will end up being closed :\

The only time I've ever quit out of a nuke was when I was dropped into the game in the middle and didn't have a chance to do the work to prevent the nuke. It's going to count as a loss anyway, and I sure as hell ain't going to give him another free kill off of his nuke when I didn't do anything to deserve it.

Sebtrt

Neo Member
So does anyone know who's to blame for this glitchy mess of a game? Infinity Ward being cocky or Activision wanting to rush it out?

Draft

I think at this point the only major knock against MW2s multiplayer is the party chat lockout.

Maybe at some point in the distant past there was a notion that this would become the next big competitive FPS. That didn't happen, and it is not going to happen. MW2 is fun as hell, but it's also a fucking mess of weird glitches and MvC2 style balancing.

They should just put party chat back in.

Meier

divisionbyzorro said:
The only time I've ever quit out of a nuke was when I was dropped into the game in the middle and didn't have a chance to do the work to prevent the nuke. It's going to count as a loss anyway, and I sure as hell ain't going to give him another free kill off of his nuke when I didn't do anything to deserve it.
Yeah, I would be tempted to do that. I have never quit out before a nuke though.. no reason to lose my bonus XP just for 1 more death. A loss is a loss.

The thing that I hate the most is joining in when it's at the freaking score screen and still getting a loss for it. I have had that happen 3 times now.

Draft said:
I think at this point the only major knock against MW2s multiplayer is the party chat lockout.

Maybe at some point in the distant past there was a notion that this would become the next big competitive FPS. That didn't happen, and it is not going to happen. MW2 is fun as hell, but it's also a fucking mess of weird glitches and MvC2 style balancing.

They should just put party chat back in.

You, sir, are a genius. Comparing this to MvC2 is damn brilliant. The analogy succeeds on every level.

And yes - party chat should go back into every single game mode.

Insaniac

clashfan said:
Is the sentry gun useful? It seems like it can be disabled pretty easily.

it all depends on how you use it. placed in the right spot a sentry gun can destroy a team. If you put it in harder to reach areas its even better since it'll make it more difficult for enemies to knife it (insta-destroy)

Also always guard your sentry so cold-blooders and other enemies don't sneak up behind it.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
clashfan said:
Is the sentry gun useful? It seems like it can be disabled pretty easily.

You gotta know where to put 'em. See, one would think that the sentry gun would be effective in a high traffic area. The problem is the MW2 sentry doesn't turn fast enough. So a dude - even without marathon/lightweight - can run up and disable it pretty easily.

Here's a secret: the higher the better.

When placed at optimal height, the sentry turns into a laser beam. For example, you know the big building on Scrapyard that has two steel walkways you can snipe from? Put the sentry at the top looking out a window. You will be amazed how many kills you get. Other awesome locations:

Highrise: Beside the helicopter facing enemy spawn.
Rundown: On the roof of the building infront of Flag A looking down on Flag B.
Favela: On the roof of the building infront of Flag C.
Karachi: middle building overlooking Flag B.
Quarry: Anywhere high!
Terminal: Middle lookout infront of Flag B.

RSTEIN said:
You gotta know where to put 'em. See, one would think that the sentry gun would be effective in a high traffic area. The problem is the MW2 sentry doesn't turn fast enough. So a dude - even without marathon/lightweight - can run up and disable it pretty easily.

Here's a secret: the higher the better.

When placed at optimal height, the sentry turns into a laser beam. For example, you know the big building on Scrapyard that has two steel walkways you can snipe from? Put the sentry at the top looking out a window. You will be amazed how many kills you get. Other awesome locations:

Highrise: Beside the helicopter facing enemy spawn.
Rundown: On the roof of the building infront of Flag A looking down on Flag B.
Favela: On the roof of the building infront of Flag C.
Karachi: middle building overlooking Flag B.
Quarry: Anywhere high!
Terminal: Middle lookout infront of Flag B.

And always drop a claymore at the top of the most obvious ladder to get to its position :lol

Meier

Insaniac said:
it all depends on how you use it. placed in the right spot a sentry gun can destroy a team. If you put it in harder to reach areas its even better since it'll make it more difficult for enemies to knife it (insta-destroy)

Also always guard your sentry so cold-blooders and other enemies don't sneak up behind it.
I put a claymore behind it once and with my luck the guy ran over it, didn't die and knifed my sentry gun.. sigh, claymores are so hit or miss. :( What's frustrating is that it isn't even people with the perk that causes them to be delayed (does SitRep do this? I forget which one) that usually don't die from them!

RavenFox

Banned
Meier said:
Yeah, I would be tempted to do that. I have never quit out before a nuke though.. no reason to lose my bonus XP just for 1 more death. A loss is a loss.

The thing that I hate the most is joining in when it's at the freaking score screen and still getting a loss for it. I have had that happen 3 times now.
I really hate that.

Raadius

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
And always drop a claymore at the top of the most obvious ladder to get to its position :lol
I hate / rarely use them in MW2. Claymores don't have that "boom" they had in COD4. You can pretty much run past them or jump over them with lil to no effect. If a person is smart, he'll knows you have a claymore by the sentry gun and he'll shoot it.

Top Bottom