• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

PatzCU

Using GAF's advice, I revisted the UMP but this time with a silencer. All I have to say is ':lol '. UMP and a silencer is an entirely new gun. Completely overpowered. I used to be a strictly FAMAS guy, and I'm not sure I can go back.

moojito

There sure are a lot of folk apparently surprised that some software has some bugs in it. I'm sure it's a mark of your enjoyment of the game otherwise that makes these relatively rare bugs so frustrating, but really, taken out of context a lot of the posts on this thread seem pretty unreasonable. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I've been logging on there every night for a couple of weeks now, play some fun games and log off again.

Maybe still being quite new to the game I can't tell a bug if I see one, but in all honesty if it makes me hate the game the way some of you folk seem to, I hope I'm never able to.

Ignorance is bliss!

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Far out that air drop thing is insane.

Should be banning people for it, not sure if they could even detect it though.

whitehawk

Banned
user_nat said:
Far out that air drop thing is insane.

Should be banning people for it, not sure if they could even detect it though.
Only way is people reporting them.

But I don't think a ban is justified. It's IW fault for not testing this game, and if you can do something in the game without a 3rd party device, well I don't think you can really argue that a punishment is justified. Just patch it and move on.

Wow, the Silenced UMP really is ridiculous :lol

Had some good games tonight using it and the M104 shotgun lol

Started a merc TDM in Skidrow 7-1-0 by shotgunning 5 people in the room with the mounted machine gun after UMPing 2 guys at the end of that tunnel with the window

:D

And tomorrow its ME2 time so I'll be getting super rusty for sure

moojito said:
There sure are a lot of folk apparently surprised that some software has some bugs in it.

There is a large difference between some bugs and game changing glitches. If you log into a game and people are doing all kinds of shit that they shouldn't, then the game is broken.

It's not as if these glitches are hard to find either.

CozMick

Banned
Are these terrible glitches present in the PS3 version?

This is another game I'm wanting to pick up.....again, but this thread scares me.

gibonez

Banned
CozMick said:

This is another game I'm wanting to pick up.....again, but this thread scares me.

No version is spared from Infinity Wards Shitty coding. It's almost like craptavision decided to save money by having all of the coding work done in mumbai or something. Seriously the bugs, glitches are horrible and game breaking. Next time have a freaken beta so retarded things like this don't happen.

picko

Neo Member
BigJonsson said:
And tomorrow its ME2 time so I'll be getting super rusty for sure

Same for me. It'll be a decent week or two before MW2 gets another play. I might have to get over my rusty period with a bit of 'noobtubin' :lol

gibonez said:
No version is spared from Infinity Wards Shitty coding. It's almost like craptavision decided to save money by having all of the coding work done in mumbai or something. Seriously the bugs, glitches are horrible and game breaking. Next time have a freaken beta so retarded things like this don't happen.
To be fair to IW, the glitches being discovered now were 3 months in the making. A 2-3 week beta would have found the afghan rock(assuming afghan was in the beta maps), care package running, javelindom (if level cap was 50+....maybe) and akimbo 87 runners(level cap 67+...unlikely). Shit like infinite packages and infinite ammo server hacks would have made it through, it took a combined population of 10million+ at least a month to find those, the new infinite package took 2.5. Stop bitching about a beta, it would not have helped at this point. These are now the glitches you would have had to put up with anyway.

EDIT: not saying don't bitch about the glitches, because that's completely fair to do. I'm just saying that blaming not having a beta at this point is foolish.

uraldix

whitehawk said:
But I don't think a ban is justified. It's IW fault for not testing this game, and if you can do something in the game without a 3rd party device, well I don't think you can really argue that a punishment is justified. Just patch it and move on.

Spoken like a true glitcher.

They should have added some safe guards into the game like limited air drops for each player at the same time, you know just in case someone manages to break the game...

CozMick

Banned
Diablohead said:
They should have added some safe guards into the game like limited air drops for each player at the same time, you know just in case someone manages to break the game...

This ain't Valve or Naughty Dog we're dealing with.......this is INFINITY WARD!

Garjon

CozMick said:

Supposedly there are, but I've yet to see any of the ones being discussed right now (ie Air Drop, Care Package runners), whether that's down to the PS3 having a smaller playerbase or just simply luck, I'm not sure.
However, all the other silly things are here, the Akimbo 1887's, the noob tubing across the map at spawn points and the often woeful lag. That said, when the game works properly, it is a barrel of fun and seriously addictive to boot :)

Diablohead said:
And hard caps on how much ammo can be carried (ignored completely when an infinite ammo server pops up and the clip never empties), or a maximum movement speed(which is broken when a care package is equipped) and a billion other contingencies for things that they didn't anticipate? That would require a God-like foresight/prescience. There's holes in the code, they get patched within a couple of days once discovered(then console approval process takes some time).

Seriously, there's some bugs but they get fixed as they show up. Better than some games I know of (eg gears 1 crabwalking). Just put it on the shelf for a week while you wait for the patch. (and bitch at MS for their slow ass approval process)

aku:jiki

Skilotonn said:
This has to be the sickest game play montage editing I've ever seen - my goodness.
I wanted to say this! Holy shit that was good. I don't even understand how he did some stuff - like the intro fly-by and panning around that seamlessly blends into the first kill - but it looks AWESOME! There's a part toward the end where every kill is in rhythm with the snare drum too... :D

aku:jiki said:
I wanted to say this! Holy shit that was good. I don't even understand how he did some stuff - like the intro fly-by and panning around that seamlessly blends into the first kill - but it looks AWESOME! There's a part toward the end where every kill is in rhythm with the snare drum too... :D
Yeah, that video had some excellent editing in it, like fly by's showing a bunch of guys coming over the wall and then transitioning into the gameplay. It was really well done. Terrible music though (IMO. Not a big fan if eminem)

rezuth

Skilotonn said:
This has to be the sickest game play montage editing I've ever seen - my goodness.
You should watch some Counter-Strike: Source videos. They even go so far to use GMod to incorporate climbing over a ladder to get into the map and shit.

Bitching about glitches

Speaking as a software developer who does this sort of thibg for a living, nobody should be surprised that there are bugs and glitches still being discovered. IW probably had a QA department with about 100 guys, and then they released it to 10+ nillion consumers. Of course we're going to find new bugs. Just be glad we live in the age of downloadable updates.

And we're past the point where a beta would have made any difference. So anyone who bitches about the lack of a beta at this point loses all respect in my book.

That being said, after the first CP glitch, you'd think they would have taken a closer look at the killstreak stack and put in some hard stops to keep this from ever being able to happen again.

Claymore placement

Here are some of my favorite claymore spots:

Invasion: Coffee shop near B, back entrance from C, up against either short wall
Scrapyard: Middle fuselage; entrance by A, facing inward
Sub Base: Center approach to B from C, against the wall facing the approach
Highrise: Littered throughout the tunnel exit inside my highrise.
Skidrow: Middle steps leading up from the bookstore to B, right against the back wall facing the steps

uraldix

Garjon said:
Supposedly there are, but I've yet to see any of the ones being discussed right now (ie Air Drop, Care Package runners), whether that's down to the PS3 having a smaller playerbase or just simply luck, I'm not sure.

They don't seem to be very prevalent on PS3 but they are there. I ran into a care package knifer last night.

Super Funky Fox

Neo Member
First Ever Post!

Hi Gaf

Have to say a few things about Modern Warfare 2 as a start, no better place to start as it is one of the most important games of the last 5 years. The fact that of the thousands of posts on Gaf and other forums about it are pretty much all negative yet over 6 million people play online go some way to prove that!

How can a game that is so universally panned by the fans and "experts" be so popular?

Because despite its faults and some are blown out of proportion its Controls, Visual Feed Back and Satifisfaction are unparrelled.

Yes it does have a few problems

1. Why speed up the care package marker holder to turn him into a crazy knife welding manic?

Surely just keeping him the same speed as someone holding a gun would have been more realistic, I mean you can press the --> button anytime you like to throw the marker its not like your handicaped as soon as you get the kill streek

2. Don't call your game Modern Warefare 2 and then have it turn into a Bizzare Western

The "duel" function should only have been for pistols, if you really care that much by Red Dead Redemption instead because your supposed to be playing Andy McNab not Clint Eastwood

Even with all its faults every Modern Warefare 2 player can share this experience, that night where you stick it on, everything happens for you "double kills", "Sticky Grenades" all your mates are online together playing a team game but guess what your against another team of mates too and there is a bit of banter, thats what makes this a great game

I don't want to be negiative, in short this is a throughly good game and anyone who visits here daily to bitch about it probably still plays it more then I do!

This2x4Skeleton

Neo Member
gibonez said:
I just got out of a match with people using the emergency airdrop glitch and man could this game be any glitchier. Infinity Ward released a broken game. Consumer products are recalled when they release broken and faulty why shouldn't video games. If any game deserves a recall its this game. Congrats Infinity ward on creating the glitchiest pos game of all time.

The game's not broken. You're obviously failing to exploit this great feature that Infinity Ward implemented. I'm sick of people whining about glitches when it's obvious they must be bad at them, otherwise they wouldn't complain.

This2x4Skeleton said:
The game's not broken. You're obviously failing to exploit this great feature that Infinity Ward implemented. I'm sick of people whining about glitches when it's obvious they must be bad at them, otherwise they wouldn't complain.

Isn't it more the point that its pretty much cheating and not how the game is meant to be played? It wasn't implemented by them it was a mess up in the coding that they didn't see.

I wouldn't even think of doing these shite arse glitches as it automatically makes you lame.

kyo_daikun said:
Isn't it more the point that its pretty much cheating and not how the game is meant to be played? It wasn't implemented by them it was a mess up in the coding that they didn't see.

I wouldn't even think of doing these shite arse glitches as it automatically makes you lame.
Almost positive he was being sarcastic
If not...well...we can always disregard his opinion

EDIT: yes, my meter isn't broken!

This2x4Skeleton

Neo Member
kyo_daikun said:

Sarcasm, DO YOU SPEAK IT
See: my avatar.

Pyke Presco said:
Almost positive he was being sarcastic
If not...well...we can always disregard his opinion

Yeah I was kindof hoping he was too, he didnt retaliate so im assuming he was.

Edit: Sorry I haven't quite got the nack of picking up sarcasm from text

/sarcasm

Cornbread78

They don't seem to be very prevalent on PS3 but they are there. I ran into a care package knifer last night.

Yeah they are everywhere, when you get knifed, just look at the kill cam, if the guy is holding the little remote in his left hand, you've been had by a care package knifer. Be care guys/gals, that is an exploit, not a glitch, it's a cheap a
$$ way to play, but was built into the game purposely to help players get to their care packages. Now in regards to the infinite care packages, just watch when your playing in the match, if a player on the other team goes, 3 or 4 and 0 watch the sky, if you see 1 airdrop that's normal, but if nobody else has gotten a 3 or 4 kill streak and another package is coming, your in for a long match until someone kills that guy fionally, then he'll just do it again the next time he gets his kill streak. It really sucks, btu always keep a class created with a stinger missle in it.

kitch9

Banned
gibonez said:
I just got out of a match with people using the emergency airdrop glitch and man could this game be any glitchier. Infinity Ward released a broken game. Consumer products are recalled when they release broken and faulty why shouldn't video games. If any game deserves a recall its this game. Congrats Infinity ward on creating the glitchiest pos game of all time.

I'd cry about it if I were you.........

Meier

I don't get the indignation personally. I mean how many hours have most people who are complaining the loudest played? I'm up to 6 days now on multiplayer. I haven't played a game online (forgot to specify this originally) on my Xbox 360 for more than an hour or two since I had the thing basically and I've had Live the whole time. I paid like $50 or so on Amazon for this and have managed to play through the single player twice (which I thought was amazing btw) -- once on Regular, once on Veteran. I've played the multiplayer like 140+ hours. How long do you play the typical game you buy? 20 hours?

Yes, there are annoying glitches. Yes, people can ruin the enjoyment of a match or two.. but the game is still very, very fun at its core and its value of time to dollars spent is off the charts. If you're not having any fun due to the items that could use patching or even if you're not having fun at all, there are options. Shelf it or sell it. You've probably already gotten more than your money's worth.

LosDaddie

Banned
moojito said:
There sure are a lot of folk apparently surprised that some software has some bugs in it. I'm sure it's a mark of your enjoyment of the game otherwise that makes these relatively rare bugs so frustrating, but really, taken out of context a lot of the posts on this thread seem pretty unreasonable. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I've been logging on there every night for a couple of weeks now, play some fun games and log off again.

Maybe still being quite new to the game I can't tell a bug if I see one, but in all honesty if it makes me hate the game the way some of you folk seem to, I hope I'm never able to.

Ignorance is bliss!

People just love to bitch about this game...and yet still continue to play it. Why? I have no clue. It doesn't make sense.

I know for damn sure if a game was so "shitty" and frustrating, I'd move onto another game.

Meier nailed it. The fact is that in spite of all the shit in the matchmaking, for every round that there's a glitch there's 8 or 9 that play normally, and when this game is going according to the rules it's an absolute blast. The gameplay is good, the controls are spot on and the pace of the game is frantic but controlled. It all adds up to a great experience when the wheels are all turning. Sure there's problems, but I'm willing to put up with some bugs since most of the time I'm having fun. I bitch as much as anyone else here but I still play the shit out of the game.(200+ hours and counting, though I haven't played in a while)

LosDaddie said:
People just love to bitch about this game...and yet still continue to play it. Why? I have no clue. It doesn't make sense.

I know for damn sure if a game was so "shitty" and frustrating, I'd move onto another game.

Totally agree, put the game down for 2 weeks till they patch it then get back on it.

Lets be honest, cold blooded pretty much negates this glitch anyway, I love the fact their all standing there too busy picking up their ill gotten crates while I sneak up behind them and knife them.

Thanks to you people I ended up watching tons of montages and they where awesome, but they depressed me a bit, the game is nowhere near as action packed or fast paced as those montages make it seem, if people didnt camp/ be cheap CoD would be so amazing.

I have to say though one of the montages I watched had a LOT of shotgun kills, why put those in a montage really theres nothing incredible about watching someone shotgun someone :lol

Garjon

LosDaddie said:

You could say the same for every official thread on these boards; every game has glitches and exploits, but if everyone actually hated the game for admitting they were annoyed about them, the games industry would've died out long ago.
Not to mention how the issues only get fixed if we do complain ;)

Cornbread78

I think everyone agrees it's a fun game to play, they just wosh there weren't so many issues detracting from that.

Oh well, I'll be playing for my 2 hours tonight, LOL.

Pete Rock

gibonez said:
Consumer products are recalled when they release broken and faulty why shouldn't video games.
Just hazarding a wild guess, but I'm going to go with the fact that no matter how backasswardsly broken a game is, it will never pose a legitimate threat to your health during normal use.

Start > Leave Game

Usually I can shoot down all their glitching care package shit, but I recently Prestiged a 3rd time and only just hit 22, so I don't have my Stinger yet. Last night, about the third time a kid glitched the Emergency AD on their team I realized what was going on. I just quit the game and found another match without cheaters within about 90 seconds. Didn't see it the rest of the night. Shit has nothing on the old Javelin glitchers & akimbo 1887s anyways :lol

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Some people may feel not obligated but 'eh, what the hell' about playing it when virtually everyone on their friends list is playing it every night. I guess it will be like that until Bad Company 2 or the Reach beetuh.

Top Bottom