• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Meier

aku:jiki said:
Uh, did you ever use the shield? It's completely inferior to every other class in every way - my suggestions would make it more balanced and less of a death trap. As it stands, using the shield WILL get you a negative K/D, 100% guaranteed and no matter how well you use it. How is that balanced?

The HP bonus is only active when you're actually shielding, of course. I suggested it because when a normal player turns a corner, he can do so with his sights up ready to take on anybody from any angle. When a shield guy turns that corner? Yeah, not so much. He can hold the shield up but if the enemy is in an unexpected place, the shielder is dead faster than a guy who can shoot back is. Shooting back moves their sights and makes it harder for them to kill you and stuff like that, whlie standing there on the corner holding your shield does fuck all to him.
I hate that some shots in my feet kill me. Even with the shield up and crouched, if you try and make any sudden movements, youre vulnerable. They definitely need to tweak it.

Anaxagoras said:
I just made my first mw2 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnfVyczlk2s

Its not that awesome, but there are some cool kills here and there, the editing isn't that awesome either, but it works for this clips. I will try to capture better clips next time.

I hope you like it. :D
What a boring song. To me, Call of Duty isn't about zen and peace (like your music choice suggests), it's about ... well war. Song choice is too chill.

backflip10019 said:
What a boring song. To me, Call of Duty isn't about zen and peace (like your music choice suggests), it's about ... well war. Song choice is too chill.

Sealda said:
Cool video, i like that you kept the original sound in the background.

Thanks for the feedback, I will keep this in mind for the next videos.

moojito

backflip10019 said:

Can't view the youtube at work sadly, but obligatory Platoon mention goes here!

aku:jiki

Oh maaan, I just punished a care package-glitching team in the most beautiful way possible! If only I could've recorded this...

They were dropping packages with sentries up and shit behind the plane on Terminal. I got pissed, busted out the OMA-tube and got up on that little roof and lined up a shot that would fly through this little crack and explode behind the plane. I got a double kill so I figured I'd try it again - if they're real whores they have tactical insertions up where their packages are.

I didn't just get a double, I got a multi - they started spawning there! I just kept spamming tubes through the same little hole and got 5 multi-kills in a row, winning the match for us when we were losing! Pretty sure that was one of the fastest chopper gunner streaks ever too. :lol :lol

Lince

Banned
what is this FAL turbo mode?

I've using FAL bling (Holo + Silencer) for a long time since I found it the best silenced weapon when you're using cold blooded, only two shots to kill anything at any distance.

Sealda

Banned
BTW got 6 kills with my harrier strike last night. First 4 kills with the first wave then 2 with the second bomb wave.

A obvious tip is to wait with the predator/harrier till the second round if you are playing CTF. Then you can kill the whole team as they are spawning for the first time.

Lince said:

I've using FAL bling (Holo + Silencer) for a long time since I found it the best silenced weapon when you're using cold blooded, only two shots to kill anything at any distance.
Using a turbo controller to repeatedly tap fire faster than humanly possible.

Didn't W@W punish this by slowing down your actual fire rate when it detected shoot being pressed too rapidly?

switch-it

Banned
Zeitgeister said:
I did find it harder to get >1 k/d ratios on FFA though. I think I play somewhere on the 1.3 ratio (variying between sub-1 and 3+), but my 'official' ratio is 1.02.

As i said, I stay in a certain area but I personally don't feel it's camping. With my current play style I normally get scores around 30-5 so it's working quiet well for me.

Meier

Lince said:
I heard some kids talking about it the other day. They sell modded controllers in the vein of the old Power Pads for the NES/SNES/Genesis, etc. where you hit a switch and it makes the controller presses faster than you can. It sounded pretty badass to be honest.

I've got my K/D up to 1.3.. its just amazing how slow it goes.

If any of you are using the shield to attack people and go on the offensive you can't be surprised that you're not doing great. The shield is for defensive teamplay - being the first to rush a room in S+D, or sitting in a corner when capturing a point in Headquarters...

Foliorum Viridum said:
If any of you are using the shield to attack people and go on the offensive you can't be surprised that you're not doing great. The shield is for defensive teamplay - being the first to rush a room in S+D, or sitting in a corner when capturing a point in Headquarters...
Which is a decisively offensive tactic. :p

Haha, well, yes - technically you're right, but whenever I play that role I don't expect to rack up 2 kills and boost my K/D. You're more of a distraction at that point. :)

F#A#Oo

Banned
IW quickly patch the game...infinite care package glitch is happening in alot of matches now...every 10-20 seconds hearing a care-package is being dropped is getting on my nerves...

Anaxagoras said:
I just made my first mw2 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnfVyczlk2s

Its not that awesome, but there are some cool kills here and there, the editing isn't that awesome either, but it works for this clips. I will try to capture better clips next time.

I hope you like it. :D

Just a quick question about the PVR(thats what you got right?). Do you need a monster computer to use that thing? I cant view the video(at work) but all in all do you think its worth the money?

Foliorum Viridum said:
Haha, well, yes - technically you're right, but whenever I play that role I don't expect to rack up 2 kills and boost my K/D. You're more of a distraction at that point. :)

You're a better distraction with a gun. That's the problem with the shield. You're at best a minor distraction. The pros and cons of the shield way heavily in the con section. There are soooo many tricks to take a shielder out and no tricks a shielder can use against you.
I can't tell you whether it's because of lag or because IW didn't bother to account for knifing/oma tube spam...but either way, it needs a boost. The shield was IW's best chance to make this game play differently than any other COD. As of now, I haven't seen a person don a shield for more than 5 minutes in weeks. Maybe at the start of the match, but they soon learn a couple of minutes of getting knifed, tubed and shot in the foot later.

aku:jiki

Foliorum Viridum said:
That still doesn't make it cool that you can be shot from straight ahead because your elbow sticks out.

Pulka

I just realised how bad-ass the Spas-12 is with Marathon , Lightwieght and whatever.
I used it on Favela, just to get Marathon Pro, got 19 kill streak.

Mr. B Natural said:
You're a better distraction with a gun. That's the problem with the shield. You're at best a minor distraction. The pros and cons of the shield way heavily in the con section.
Not always. If 4 guys are protecting one bomb site, a shield can take a lot of fire from people, force them back a bit, and as the other players move in shooting they're not such easy targets. People expect you to be running in firing - if you don't do that it knocks them off their game.

Najaf

FromTheFuture said:
Hmm, I remember a debate about this earlier in the thread and I found this interesting. On that website, the guy listed Ninja Pro to multiply footstep noise by a factor of less than 0.25x. So essentially, you still have a footstep noise, but it's still quiet (contrary to belief)? That would mean that SitRep Pro would in fact increase footstep noise, so in theory someone could hear you approaching even if they were using Ninja Pro. Assuming all of this is accurate, of course.

It is accurate. Having ninja pro lowers footstep noise by 3/4 and having sitrep pro multiplies enemy footsteps proportionately. This allows sitrep pro users to hear ninjas. Also, sitrep pro lowers the audio of your own footsteps so you can more clearly decipher an enemies, but this is only a local effect. You are still making audible footsteps to everyone else.

theplayer

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
IW quickly patch the game...infinite care package glitch is happening in alot of matches now...every 10-20 seconds hearing a care-package is being dropped is getting on my nerves...

ya thats is how some ppl played all day today

Foliorum Viridum said:
Not always. If 4 guys are protecting one bomb site, a shield can take a lot of fire from people, force them back a bit, and as the other players move in shooting they're not such easy targets. People expect you to be running in firing - if you don't do that it knocks them off their game.

I actually saw 2-3 riot shield guys in the small entryway standing in the doorway one time in terminal. It was the entryway right after you go up the escalators and to the left. They completely bottlenecked that hallway for a good 2 minutes before the other team figured out to go the long way. By that time we already had a good time on the bomb. It was kinda silly. :D

Najaf

Fugu said:
http://denkirson.xanga.com/715966769/modern-warfare-2/
Same strength, SPAS has longer range and the slowest firing rate of any gun in the game.

I know he pulled PC data for these stats, and all of them are logical except for the shotguns. For instance, the SPAS deals out 40 points of damage at close range according to that chart. How then, is the SPAS a one hit kill within ~8 feet? I know that the SPAS, M1014, Ranger, and 1887 are one hit guns up close. (The others I have not used)

So for now, the shotguns stats are moot on that page.

Foliorum Viridum said:

Yeah, you'll die in .8 seconds rather than .5 seconds. I hope that fraction of a second really helps your team out. You know what would have helped your team out more? Killing something. Anything. Shooting into the air might distract them longer than your shield.

If you play the campaign, I think you get the sense of how IW wanted the shield to work. You're suppose to eat bullets and NOT DIE. You are not a distraction if you're dead. You're suppose to be hard to kill. You're suppose to make the enemy back off. In Multiplayer, that's not the case. You die. You die half a second later than you would if you just flashed the spot and ran in like a kamikaze.

Shields worked for the first few days before everyone figured out the tricks. The tricks is what makes the shield useless. Your feet and elbows, the knifing, the OMA nade spam...dead dead and dead. So easy.

It doesn't play like that Favela multiplayer teaser video that IW showed before the game was released, that's for sure. I wish it did.

Najaf said:
I know he pulled PC data for these stats, and all of them are logical except for the shotguns. For instance, the SPAS deals out 40 points of damage at close range according to that chart. How then, is the SPAS a one hit kill within ~8 feet? I know that the SPAS, M1014, Ranger, and 1887 are one hit guns up close. (The others I have not used)

So for now, the shotguns stats are moot on that page.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it's "per pellet?"

Cornbread78

The more important question is "do they know how to fix it?"

Scarecrow

It'd be neat if you could make a phalanx situation with the shields. Have a wall of shield dudes with some gun dudes taking cover behind them. I'm sure a grenade would make quick work of it, though :lol

clashfan said:
How come your are getting so many points per kill? I'm playing team deathmatch and I'm getting 100 points per kill.

Hes playing Search and Destroy which is 500 points per kill but if you die you dont respawn so its a little harder.

Anyway I really liked the montage except 1 thing, why the hell where there so many shotgun clips!?? - the one where you jumped off the roof of sub base was awesome but the rest where just sub standard shotgun kills.

wud

Neo Member
clashfan said:
How come your are getting so many points per kill? I'm playing team deathmatch and I'm getting 100 points per kill.

I play search & destroy pretty much exclusively, it gives you 500 points for kill but no respawn. 1000 for last stand and headshot kills.

it is the only gamemode that isnt ruined by all the glitches (except commando, what a load of shit)

bobs99 ... said:
Hes playing Search and Destroy which is 500 points per kill but if you die you dont respawn so its a little harder.

Anyway I really liked the montage except 1 thing, why the hell where there so many shotgun clips!?? - the one where you jumped off the roof of sub base was awesome but the rest where just sub standard shotgun kills.

Because playing SDTV on a HDTV is horrible :lol those sniper kills were painful to pull off

Mr. B Natural said:
Yeah, you'll die in .8 seconds rather than .5 seconds. I hope that fraction of a second really helps your team out. You know what would have helped your team out more? Killing something. Anything. Shooting into the air might distract them longer than your shield.

If you play the campaign, I think you get the sense of how IW wanted the shield to work. You're suppose to eat bullets and NOT DIE. You are not a distraction if you're dead. You're suppose to be hard to kill. You're suppose to make the enemy back off. In Multiplayer, that's not the case. You die. You die half a second later than you would if you just flashed the spot and ran in like a kamikaze.

Shields worked for the first few days before everyone figured out the tricks. The tricks is what makes the shield useless. Your feet and elbows, the knifing, the OMA nade spam...dead dead and dead. So easy.

It doesn't play like that Favela multiplayer teaser video that IW showed before the game was released, that's for sure. I wish it did.
Well I've had a lot of success with the tactic when I've had teammates that were well organised. I've managed to stay alive most times, and the times I didn't it nearly always benefited the team.

Cornbread78

Originally Posted by Mr. B Natural:

Well I've had a lot of success with the tactic when I've had teammates that were well organised. I've managed to stay alive most times, and the times I didn't it nearly always benefited the team.

Or you be on the opposition to the shield and just stick a semtex on said shield and watch the guy run back towards his teamates and blow them up too.... Thanks for the free kills!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
theplayer said:
iw needs to wake up form the money overdose and get going or Bad Company 2 will rip them a new one

is Bad Company 2 a serious contender? I don't have a PS3 so I haven't played the beta. I really enjoyed the first Bad Company.

UFRA

RSTEIN said:
is Bad Company 2 a serious contender? I don't have a PS3 so I haven't played the beta. I really enjoyed the first Bad Company.

Well, it's definitely not the same type of shooter that the COD's are. It's more tactical/team based rather than run and gun. It also has the bonus of getting to drive awesome vehicles, and blow up anything you want.

Only problem is, it's not quite as accessible as the last few COD's in my opinion. I think the COD series is more appealing to casuals since you can be up and running in a game in like 2 min from the point you put the disc in. In the current BFBC, it takes a bit longer, and the game matches themselves are a LOT longer. So a quick 20 min session is hard to pull off in the BF games whereas you can easily hop in and out of some games in COD.

I don't know how the first BFBC did in sales, but the second should definitely improve on that easily. I don't think it will threaten MW2's sales though in all honesty.

I'm a very flexible gamer, so I pre-ordered BFBC2 and will definitely enjoy it while still giving attention to MW2 as well. I like both games for their own unique reasons.

Najaf

divisionbyzorro said:
It's a totally different kind of game. And I highly doubt it will blow MW2 away, at least in terms of player base.

My main issue with the Battlefield series is that the hit detection has always seemed a bit off. While it has improved greatly in Bad Company and 1943, this has not been an issue for me at all with MW2.

Top Bottom