• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Argonomic

IW quickly patch the game...infinite care package glitch is happening in alot of matches now...every 10-20 seconds hearing a care-package is being dropped is getting on my nerves...

The fixes are being tested right now. 360 patches take longer than other platforms because of the certification process. The patches go out on PC first and then make their way to PS3 and 360.

Bad Company 2 does look pretty awesome. I might pick up the original since it's probably £5 second hand now.

But it won't take me away from MW2, no matter how good it is.

Najaf said:
My main issue with the Battlefield series is that the hit detection has always seemed a bit off. While it has improved greatly in Bad Company and 1943, this has not been an issue for me at all with MW2.

idk its all about preference.

personally i can't wait for it. Played the ps3 beta and love how the guns felt. Its not pinpoint accuracy every time and the bullet behavior is awesome.

I just have a question for people concerning KDR. I understand needing a positive for TDM (I can even understand it for S&D). But, in a game like CTF, domination, demolition, or sabatoge; why do you care if you have a positive KDR? I mean, bomb/flag running is the purpose, right? Hell, there were times I had a .3 KDR in those types, but I was top scorer since I planted/captured the most. Am I missing something?

divisionbyzorro said:
It's a totally different kind of game. And I highly doubt it will blow MW2 away, at least in terms of player base.

Watch and see.

It's nothing like BC1.

EDIT*** Who wants to shoot some bastards with me tonight?

OBSJiesen

Cornbread78

I just have a question for people concerning KDR. I understand needing a positive for TDM (I can even understand it for S&D). But, in a game like CTF, domination, demolition, or sabatoge; why do you care if you have a positive KDR? I mean, bomb/flag running is the purpose, right? Hell, there were times I had a .3 KDR in those types, but I was top scorer since I planted/captured the most. Am I missing something?

Oh no, you're not missing anything there. Those that are worried about their KDR are the campers up in the back of teh map just sitting there watching the enemy take of flags, or plant bombs etc. Some of that is warrented, but in objective games. I'm a dirt dog, give me a flag and I'm gonna conquer that biatch eventually, even if it takes 10 deaths. The same goes for Sabatage.

I'd ask a guy to leave a party if we were in a competative match and watched a guy worry more about his KDR then the objectives, that not team play and it's total crap to be around. If you want to do that go play solo matches in mercenary mode.

Cornbread78 said:
Oh no, you're not missing anything there. Those that are worried about their KDR are the campers up in the back of teh map just sitting there watching the enemy take of flags, or plant bombs etc. Some of that is warrented, but in objective games. I'm a dirt dog, give me a flag and I'm gonna conquer that biatch eventually, even if it takes 10 deaths. The same goes for Sabatage.

I'd ask a guy to leave a party if we were in a competative match and watched a guy worry more about his KDR then the objectives, that not team play and it's total crap to be around. If you want to do that go play solo matches in mercenary mode.

OK, good. Glad I'm not the only one who keeps his eye on the ball.

Raadius

Banned
Oh man, when your feeling it, everything you do in this game comes so easy! Everything just happens so flawlessly. I went on a 17 game win streak, took a breather and the rest of my clan went up to 38!

I swear, I had so many double and triple kills. Seriously, the last thing you ever want to do is run behind somebody, bullets will tear between you and the guy in front of you.

Garjon

divisionbyzorro said:
It's a totally different kind of game. And I highly doubt it will blow MW2 away, at least in terms of player base.
Course it won't; I doubt any game like this will, at least in this generation.
And it is a verry different game; the only major similarity is the setting.

Funnily enough, it was EA who started the whole BF:BC2 vs. MW2 thing ;)

Aurora

I went back to play Bad Company and noticed how many things it does right compared to Modern Warfare 2.

First of all I can't remember the amount of times I've shot at an enemy (in MW2) or got a hitmarker with a sniper rifle only to have the enemy run out of sight. I haven't been awarded with anything other than giving my position away to the entire enemy team.

I think Battlefield's system is perfect when it marks an enemy that you successfully shoot. Having shot the enemy I deserve more than just the off chance of getting an assist, and equally, the enemy ought to be punished more than just low health for a few seconds. I find this particularly the case when getting hitmarkers with a sniper rifle. I'm not sure if introducing this system would work in MW2 but I don't see why not, although I wouldn't make the marking last any more than around 5 seconds.

Secondly, and the more important point is regarding the spawn system. We all know how horrendous MW2's spawn system is, and it has much to learn from Battlefield which I think handles spawns perfectly. When I die, I should be able to choose when I respawn. If I know that it's way too hectic in my base, I shouldn't be forced to spawn only to immediately die due to semtex/noobtubes/Harriers etc. I should be given the chance to spectate the surroundings and spawn when I know it's safe to do so.

I also think that letting the player decide which player to spawn on would greatly improve the current situation, especially in objective games. I can't remember the amount of times I came painfully close to planting/defusing/capturing only to die and spawn literally across the map, guaranteeing the round loss. Letting players choose to spawn on specific players would allow everyone to be closer to the action, or further from the action in the case of spawn locks. I can see a potential problem with a constant stream of players respawning on each other right next to an objective but this is easily fixed, for example by issuing a delay when choosing to respawn within a certain proximity from an objective.

Anyway, just my random thoughts I felt like sharing. I haven't slept in 3 days so for all I know these could be terrible ideas. :lol

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
huacst21 said:
See for yourself. IMO, I think BC2 is a serious contender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SKH1eHep7c&feature=player_embedded

I don't get it.

Looks underwhelming IMO. It doesn't have the same intensity of a CoD game and it doesn't have the AI of a Halo game, so it's just stuck somewhere in between.

What is it with DICE and screen tearing? It annoys me to no end. It made Bad Company a CHORE to play (along with the insane amount of time it took to kill someone, clunky controls, boring gameplay, etc. etc.)

MW2 will be just fine. Bad Company 2 will be lucky to stay in the Xbox Live top ten for more than 3 months.

mr_boo

divisionbyzorro said:
Hey now. I use the FAL legit. And it rocks. You don't need to cheat to use the FAL. So don't hate on all FAL users.
DeuceMojo said:
The FAL is the real deal. Whereas I hated the G3 and the M-14, this FAL is a bad mamma-jamma.

Brings tears to my eyes :lol I mostly use the FAL, but I have been noticing lately that it's nice to run with the FAMAS/M16 with SP once in awhile. Where the FAL excels in situations where you can measure and gage, a FAMAS/M16 with SP provides ease for fast and tight situations where you need to put people down fast.

Lionheart1827 said:
Just a quick question about the PVR(thats what you got right?). Do you need a monster computer to use that thing? I cant view the video(at work) but all in all do you think its worth the money?

The quality of the video that I posted isn't that great, I can record at 720, I think I didn't use the right settings when I exported it from windows movie maker, my PC is average, Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz, you actually need at least a dual core, but mine records just fine, its the video editing that needs a good processor.

I just copy the files on a usb and edit them on my friends laptop and then upload them from there.

Aurora said:
I went back to play Bad Company and noticed how many things it does right compared to Modern Warfare 2.

First of all I can't remember the amount of times I've shot at an enemy (in MW2) or got a hitmarker with a sniper rifle only to have the enemy run out of sight. I haven't been awarded with anything other than giving my position away to the entire enemy team.

I think Battlefield's system is perfect when it marks an enemy that you successfully shoot. Having shot the enemy I deserve more than just the off chance of getting an assist, and equally, the enemy ought to be punished more than just low health for a few seconds. I find this particularly the case when getting hitmarkers with a sniper rifle. I'm not sure if introducing this system would work in MW2 but I don't see why not, although I wouldn't make the marking last any more than around 5 seconds.

Secondly, and the more important point is regarding the spawn system. We all know how horrendous MW2's spawn system is, and it has much to learn from Battlefield which I think handles spawns perfectly. When I die, I should be able to choose when I respawn. If I know that it's way too hectic in my base, I shouldn't be forced to spawn only to immediately die due to semtex/noobtubes/Harriers etc. I should be given the chance to spectate the surroundings and spawn when I know it's safe to do so.

I also think that letting the player decide which player to spawn on would greatly improve the current situation, especially in objective games. I can't remember the amount of times I came painfully close to planting/defusing/capturing only to die and spawn literally across the map, guaranteeing the round loss. Letting players choose to spawn on specific players would allow everyone to be closer to the action, or further from the action in the case of spawn locks. I can see a potential problem with a constant stream of players respawning on each other right next to an objective but this is easily fixed, for example by issuing a delay when choosing to respawn within a certain proximity from an objective.

Anyway, just my random thoughts I felt like sharing. I haven't slept in 3 days so for all I know these could be terrible ideas. :lol

Allowing me to choose which flag to spawn at in Domination would be fantastic. Choosing spawn points in the other modes doesn't necessarily make sense, but I do think it's worth investigating. And don't forget that the game gives you the tools to choose your next spawn point (although you have to give up an explosive to do it).

Meier

Mr. B Natural said:
You're a better distraction with a gun. That's the problem with the shield. You're at best a minor distraction. The pros and cons of the shield way heavily in the con section. There are soooo many tricks to take a shielder out and no tricks a shielder can use against you.
I can't tell you whether it's because of lag or because IW didn't bother to account for knifing/oma tube spam...but either way, it needs a boost. The shield was IW's best chance to make this game play differently than any other COD. As of now, I haven't seen a person don a shield for more than 5 minutes in weeks. Maybe at the start of the match, but they soon learn a couple of minutes of getting knifed, tubed and shot in the foot later.
So many times where I am lined up with the guy, perfectly defending in my mind and then WHAM, he's by me, I'm knifed and dead. An LMG against you and you're just absolutely toast as they rip through your feet when you try and move to or from them... ugh, frustrating. I love using the Riot Shield.. maybe my favorite class, but it's murder on my K/D. :(

Meier said:
So many times where I am lined up with the guy, perfectly defending in my mind and then WHAM, he's by me, I'm knifed and dead. An LMG against you and you're just absolutely toast as they rip through your feet when you try and move to or from them... ugh, frustrating. I love using the Riot Shield.. maybe my favorite class, but it's murder on my K/D. :(

You raise another good point. You essentially can't move with the Riot Shield without being vulnerable.

I've had some incredibly fun games with the Riot Shield, but it's important to realize that it's not good in every mode (it's probably most useful in headquarters). It's also mostly useless unless you have a buddy with you to watch your back. Lone wolf shield users tend to die a lot.

LosDaddie

Banned
RSTEIN said:
is Bad Company 2 a serious contender? I don't have a PS3 so I haven't played the beta. I really enjoyed the first Bad Company.

No, it's not a serious contender...at least not for consoles. People here just like shit on MW2 because they know it's so popular and people love the game.

MW2 will reign supreme, just like the other CoDs have, for at least the rest of this year. BC2 will be lucky to chart in the Top 5 on XBL a few weeks after launch.

Aurora

divisionbyzorro said:
Allowing me to choose which flag to spawn at in Domination would be fantastic. Choosing spawn points in the other modes doesn't necessarily make sense, but I do think it's worth investigating. And don't forget that the game gives you the tools to choose your next spawn point (although you have to give up an explosive to do it).
Well, I think it would be a great idea to let you choose your spawn in Demolition. The defending team already has a massive advantage and this is only furthered by spawning the attackers on the opposite side of the map after dying.

I also think that there shouldn't be a single set spawn for Team A and Team B on any given game type. I see loads of spawntubes these days and this would be largely fixed if there were several potential spawn points so as to not make it so predictable.

Also, while Tactical Insertion is a great idea in theory, it never really works out. Having to lose explosives for it is a big loss and it's generally too much trouble to successfully plant it in a good spot and expect it to survive, or avoid being spawnkilled.

LosDaddie said:
No, it's not a serious contender...at least not for consoles. People here just like shit on MW2 because they know it's so popular and people love the game.

MW2 will reign supreme, just like the other CoDs have, for at least the rest of this year. BC2 will be lucky to chart in the Top 5 on XBL a few weeks after launch.

FWIW: BF1943 is what pulled me away from W@W for my shooter fix. It lasted me until MW2 (with a little dabbling in ODST)

Raadius

Banned
I was in the beta for BFBC2, I enjoy it a lot. Graphically it looks better than MW2, no one should argue that. Sound is also better than MW2 (the first BF had great audio and effects too). Can it contend? No, but it's a great title that can hold it's own. Even with MW2 glitches and flaws, BFBC2 isn't going to take the ranks, it's a great second place finish.

:looks at thread title:

Anyways, about MW2...

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Raadius said:
Graphically it looks better than MW2, no one should argue that.

:lol

I'll take MW2's silky smooth 60 FPS over Bad Company's screen tearing, bloom infested mess ANYDAY.

LosDaddie

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
FWIW: BF1943 is what pulled me away from W@W for my shooter fix.

BF1943 was also a $15 game and it only charted on the XBL list for, what?, 3 weeks.

MW2 is in no danger, at all. But really, if BC2 pulls away just one of the daily complainers in this thread, then I'll be thankful.:D

Solstice said:

I care as it shows my improvement over time.

But a few rounds of domination later it will be lower again. I'm something of a suicide bomber when it comes to objective games. It goes to momentum in team movement, not the individual.

Just like being spawned on the lower end of estate gives the other team a lead by default.

Accidentus

Neo Member
Solstice said:
Well K/D isn't everything, but playing objective games is much easier when the other team is dead and being shot at via air support. Also, dying all the time is giving the other team UAV's, care packages, etc...

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
I've been discovering the tactical insertion today, while trying to finish the Jack-in-the-Box challenge. What I'll do is flank them and plant the insertion right around the corner from where I know they are, run in just to see where they're standing around, get killed and then immediately come back and take them all out since I learned where they were. It's like the best thing ever and it even works for streaking! Successfully doing this can put you at 5 kills in five seconds - awesome head start for that Harrier. :D

It's also a wonderful tool against all the care package whores! I'm gonna finish the 100 hijacked packages in no time now. :lol

F#A#Oo

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
IW quickly patch the game...infinite care package glitch is happening in alot of matches now...every 10-20 seconds hearing a care-package is being dropped is getting on my nerves...

I must reiterate this post...

I have just tried Ground War, CTF, Domination and Demolition...

EVERY SINGLE MATCH HAD A FUCKING INFINATE CARE PACKAGE GLITCHER...

This is the only time whilst owning this game I felt like throwing my controller... :<

Lince

Banned
I find it quite amusing the one truly game-breaking glitch to date (bigger than Javelindom) is taking so long to be patched or even acknowledged by IW, they're completely silent. Is the glitch intentional?

and yes, it's spread like wild fire, most games have almost one guy doing or trying to do the glitch, it's very annoying forcing me to play with my anti-air build in every map just in case. Thanks God my MAG copy will be home tomorrow, need some fresh air, I'll try MW2 again when they patch the glitches and fix the matchmaking so I'm not forced to join shitty games in-progress with 10 seconds to go.

DigiMish

Solstice said:

Nope. Just different strokes for different folks. I like Search and Destroy, TDM, FFA. My roommate on the other hand plays Domination exclusively. There's pros and cons to different modes, and it's easier to accomplish some challenges in certain modes (you can shoot down a gazillion choppers in Domination).

The beauty is that MW2 offers A LOT of modes - you're bound to find something you'll like.

But if I play a mode - I play to win, not worry about some stat.

GQman2121

Banned
Hello, my name is GQ and I have a confession to make. I'm that guy you just stabbed and killed by sliding across my screen--while I was shooting you in the chest--with your Marathon+Lightweight+Commando+Tac Knife+Care Package combination. I'm also that guy that you would hear yelling "Bull Shit" and "God damn it, mother fuckers!" over the mic.

Well, I'm hear to say that I'm no longer mad at you. And I don't blame you.

Since unlocking the tactical knife for the magnum and 9mm, I've come to the realization that it is in fact fun as shit to mindless (and recklessly) run around knifing guys left and right. You might die a bit more then you normally would by discharging a firearm at enemies, but fuck it, there's really nothing like it when you go on a unbelievable stabbing spree and take out 10 guys in a row!

So thank you for opening my eyes to this wonderful style of play. It's definitely something fun to throw into the mix to change things up. ;)

ultim8p00 said:
Holy shit and that's the console version. Holy fucking shit.

EDIT: Err...the tearing is pretty bad though.

And, as has been said many times before, it's basically vomiting bloom all over the place.

It doesn't look bad per say, but I prefer MW2 by far.

I hate the way the wobbly gun looks in BC2.

I want to own the game, but that alone is enough to make me not buy it.

For some reason it helps even further to make the gun look plastic and like a toy.

WTF are they thinking with that god damn wobbley gun... :lol it's so frustrating.

GQman2121 said:
Hello, my name is GQ and I have a confession to make. I'm that guy you just stabbed and killed by sliding across my screen--while I was shooting you in the chest--with your Marathon+Lightweight+Commando+Tac Knife+Care Package combination. I'm also that guy that you would hear yelling "Bull Shit" and "God damn it, mother fuckers!" over the mic.

Well, I'm hear to say that I'm no longer mad at you. And I don't blame you.

Since unlocking the tactical knife for the magnum and 9mm, I've come to the realization that it is in fact fun as shit to mindless (and recklessly) run around knifing guys left and right. You might die a bit more then you normally would by discharging a firearm at enemies, but fuck it, there's really nothing like it when you go on a unbelievable stabbing spree and take out 10 guys in a row!

So thank you for opening my eyes to this wonderful style of play. It's definitely something fun to throw into the mix to change things up. ;)

This happened to me as well. I used to hate these guys, but what they do actually is fun as shit. Sometimes I feel bad when broken stuff happens (such as stabbing someone by teleporting through a window), but I usually just crack up laughing.

I think my favorite part is stabbing 3-4 people in the same area because they cant possibly turn and shoot fast enough.

ultim8p00

Banned
CorporalDork said:
I hate the way the wobbly gun looks in BC2.

I want to own the game, but that alone is enough to make me not buy it.

For some reason it helps even further to make the gun look plastic and like a toy.

WTF are they thinking with that god damn wobbley gun... :lol it's so frustrating.

I actually like that wobbliness though. It reminds me of Perfect Dark.

Cobra84

CorporalDork said:
The gun in the video (XM8) is plastic.

Cerrius said:
I'll take MW2's silky smooth 60 FPS over Bad Company's screen tearing, bloom infested mess ANYDAY.
I'll take anything over MW2's low resolution "is that a rock or a person?" image quality. I died so many times because anything over 20 feet is an indistinguishable pixelated mess.

Top Bottom