• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

whitehawk

Banned
mr_boo said:
Define "Most Powerful"? IMO, one of the beauties of MW2 is that they made a lot of the ARs viable. So there is no "Most Powerful" weapon, at least in the context of ARs. It's really up to your play style and what you're comfortable with. It's not like COD4 where the M16 reigns supreme.
By most powerful I mean most powerful.

Jagernaut

Strider2K99 said:
:lol

You're lucky this isn't CoD4, you'd rage over Deep Impact.

I miss Deep Impact, I prefer having it as a perk not a weapon attachment. My favorite setup in CoD4 was the RPD with 3x Frag, Stopping Power, and Deep Impact.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I find it baffling how inconsistent I am at this game. I had a bunch of decent games today, started off with me being first or second like 4 games in a row, I was getting twice as many kills as deaths. Followed that up with like 4 or 5 games where I completely lost it and was getting even or double the amount of deaths.

Same lobby, same people more or less, I just go from being real quick and accurate to struggling to hit a guy right in front of me, its like a switch is flipped in my brain.

Sadly I usually just get frustrated and go berserk so I end up racking up even more and more deaths when I should probably just take a break :lol thats why my K/D ratio is totally irrelevent to me, especially when I basically went on suicide run for a good period hunting for cold blooded pro or other challenges.

Didnt run into any glitchers or boosters, but I did see something weird. It was a game on Derail which was really quiet, felt like no one was around so it was kinda boring, like everyone was camping or sneaking or sniping. I went round to the back of C near where the river ends, could hear some rustling so I searched around and I saw two enemies hidden in a corner, looked like they were trying to stab each other :lol really bizarre. WTF were they doing? I watched em for a sec and just killed em.

whitehawk said:
Is SCAR the most powerful weapon? If not, what is?

probably the FAL per shot. TAR is better at close range, but lacks accuracy.

But after I finally got that stupid FMJ challenge for the UMP, I still had to make a few kills with rapid fire. So I replaced the fmj with rapid fire on my bling UMP (with silencer and SP of course) class...

I'm going to vote UMP.

Zeitgeister said:
probably the FAL per shot. TAR is better at close range, but lacks accuracy.

But after I finally got that stupid FMJ challenge for the UMP, I still had to make a few kills with rapid fire. So I replaced the fmj with rapid fire on my bling UMP (with silencer and SP of course) class...

I'm going to vote UMP.

FAL Holographic with Stopping Power.

It 2-shots from any distance.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
divisionbyzorro said:
Hate to break it to you, but it takes 10 nukes for the nuke emblem. 2 nukes gets you the "Global Thermonuclear War" title, and 5 nukes gets you the "End of Line" title.
I wish I had the nerve to even try for two nukes, because I love that title. WarGames fucking rules.

aku:jiki

Decided to equip the Deagle tonight after deciding to unlock TacKnife for it, just because I'm sick of the Magnum. I used to think the Deagle sucked but now I'm really getting into it. Got MVP using only knife and Deagle just now. It is, of course, much harder to use than basically any other weapon, but so are all handguns... But the Deagle feels fucking badass and getting a kill at any distance over 3 meters is very satisfying! :D

I guess the trick is that the recoil isn't really real recoil. It's just supposed to look badass and heavy - you can actually spam it like the other handguns and the shots end up where you aim despite the recoil. Two-shot kill at most distances I've used it.

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
Alright, so me and some friends started a Game Battles team, and have our first match tomorrow. Problem is, the game type is softcore search, which I blow donkey balls at. Anyone got any tips, map-specific or in general? Anything will help.

I guess you have to wait for the Deagle to stabilize a bit between spams - tried it just now and just let a sniper get away. Still feels badass to get kills with!

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
Alright, so me and some friends started a Game Battles team, and have our first match tomorrow. Problem is, the game type is softcore search, which I blow donkey balls at. Anyone got any tips, map-specific or in general? Anything will help.
I find that running works really well. Everybody plays defensively in S&D so they don't expect a fool coming at them at top speed.

moojito said:
Aye, I just started playing with silenced ump. I have marathon, cb and ninja pro. Working out very nicely indeed. I can't believe the difference the silencer makes to the recoil of that thing.

I know, that gun is a beast, I use it silenced with hardline, scavenger, ninja pro/steady aim (don't know yet which is better), I can take down snipers with it too.
there were several occasions were I took down several guys that are shooting at e with it at the same time, I also got my kill entire team in less than 10 seconds with it.
5:58 and 6:24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0qY_yQsBBM

wud said:
Also I've finally got the perfect formula for hunting nukes/high killstreak rewards. Start off with a powerful class - I personally use a silenced SCAR with stopping power. 2 kills before you're about to hit your first killstreak, One Man Army to a class with hardline, get another kill and BAM - first killstreak. Stick with the Hardline class until you get your chopper gunner/ac130/pavelow whatever, then switch out to a Danger close pro class
I have to give this a try :D

Raadius

Banned
Is the game setup that 95% of the time, your first care package will be UAV or Ammo? One time I got a chopper gunner about a minute into the game, got all excited, ran to it, half way through it got massacre by a shotty :lol

Raadius said:
Is the game setup that 95% of the time, your first care package will be UAV or Ammo? One time I got a chopper gunner about a minute into the game, got all excited, ran to it, half way through it got massacre by a shotty :lol

I rarely use care packages but I some times use emergency airdrops, and when I get lots of ammo and other shit I ask my team not to take them and hide around them instead and wait for the other team to rush for them.
that way we as a team get a lot more kills than with predators, counter uavs and the Stevie wonder choppers and instead get better streaks because of them.

Xux

DeuceMojo said:
The other, in Choke's post, is admirable, but confusing. I have no idea what 40-30 means.

It's the max and minimum damage per bullet. For all of the guns, except snipers and LMGs, bullet damage drops off after a certain range which is what the graphs show. Silencers reduces that range and also lower sniper and LMG bullet damage to their minimum (ACOG doesn't increase this range rating despite what the in game statistics say).

Re: Most Powerful

The four snipers are the most powerful per shot with 70 damage without a silencer.
The TAR-21 has the highest DPS if you're within the range that it does 40 damage.
The L86 LSW has the highest DPS outside of that range as long as it's not silenced.

This is, of course, ignoring recoil which makes a good amount of difference when you're actually playing.

Re: F2000

It seems like they just wanted a hard mode gun (12 levels after the easy mode gun). You have to burst to be viable (a technique the SCAR and the ACR have made more rare) and, even then, if they see you first, you might lose anyway. If you turn a corner and you're right out of knife range against anything but a TAR, then you'll probably win but every other head-to-head situation favors pretty much every other gun. Obviously not every situation is head-to-head so all the negatives don't matter all of the time but its enough to make the gun just plain unreliable.

DMasta718

Banned
Raadius said:

Feels like the Ammo or UAV always come up from your first package. One game, I earned about 4 care packages. All of them were straight ammo boxes. Someone else had a care package, puts theirs down and next thing you know he gets a AC130. I silently raged.

th3dude

Anaxagoras said:
I know, that gun is a beast, I use it silenced with hardline, scavenger, ninja pro/steady aim (don't know yet which is better), I can take down snipers with it too.
there were several occasions were I took down several guys that are shooting at e with it at the same time, I also got my kill entire team in less than 10 seconds with it.
5:58 and 6:24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0qY_yQsBBM

Very nice highlights. I'm working my way toward the silencer on this gun currently. Can't wait.

whitehawk

Banned
Raadius said:
When I throw a care package, I always throw a tac insert nearby, so if someone kills me, i can just kill them back and get my package.

whitehawk said:
When I throw a care package, I always throw a tac insert nearby, so if someone kills me, i can just kill them back and get my package.
Love doing that when a team is Emergency Airdrop-glitching. Feels awesome to just keep popping up and taking them out and stealing their glitched shit. :D

Had a beautiful match like that today against a bunch of guys who couldn't protect their drops at all. I must've stolen 10 packages that match. Gotta love stealing airstrikes that you drop right on their camping spot for multi-kills! :lol

You know, with all the people that only use TI for nuke boosting and respawning at the cheap spot in highrise, it really baffles me that no one thinks to use it for what it is meant for:

Marathon
Cold Blooded
Steady Aim

Tactical Insertion
LSW w/ Grip
Thumper

I have lost count of the number of times when someone killed me, proceeded forward with a buddy looking to kill more people, only to have me surprise em from behind with a weapon that needs little reloading.

Even better when both teams become obsessed with attacking at a specific choke point, just makes it easier for me to TI myself practically right behind them for a double flank.

whitehawk

Banned
Can IW PLEASE fix the respawning? Ok, so people are spawn camping us, I get it. So move our spawn to a different part of a map. I was playing a domination game where I couldn't survive for more than 5-10 seconds cause they had their aimers where we spawned. It's fucking ridiculous.

dwin45

whitehawk said:
Can IW PLEASE fix the respawning? Ok, so people are spawn camping us, I get it. So move our spawn to a different part of a map. I was playing a domination game where I couldn't survive for more than 5-10 seconds cause they had their aimers where we spawned. It's fucking ridiculous.
Easily my biggest problem with the game. FIX THE BROKEN SPAWN POINTS!

Scarecrow

Question: I just got done playing with some dude who's gamertag was a green Inifinity Ward. What's his deal? Checking his gamercard said he was named different, though.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I took somebody's advice earlier on using a silencer with a TAR and wow, it helps out a ton. It feels like a different gun entirely, I'm in love with it.

Unfortunately in one game after going on a nice kill streak I called in a care package, got fired upon from two sides, forgot about the care package as I'm dancing around in a panic and then it landed on me and killed me. If only the silencer also helped with stupidity.

Hanmik

divisionbyzorro said:
Hate to break it to you, but it takes 10 nukes for the nuke emblem. 2 nukes gets you the "Global Thermonuclear War" title, and 5 nukes gets you the "End of Line" title.

I have only launched 1 freaking Nuke.. and I have the "End of line" tittle..

Ganhyun

just got done playing with someone who had Gaf as his/her clan tag. Gamertag was hipspasm. He/She care package glitched at the end so their team would win. :(

Scarecrow said:
Question: I just got done playing with some dude who's gamertag was a green Inifinity Ward. What's his deal? Checking his gamercard said he was named different, though.

I've played people who have some control pad buttons in their name.

wud

Neo Member
after being sidestepped due to lag and killed countless times and people glitching everywhere in TDM today, I decided to fire up WAW

holy shit this is fun

wud said:
after being sidestepped due to lag and killed countless times and people glitching everywhere in TDM today, I decided to fire up WAW

holy shit this is fun

I know, I did the same recently. While I have adjusted to the gameplay of MW2, going back to WaW made me appreciate it much more than I did.

CozMick

Banned
Recently come back to this game and maaaaaaaaaan playing for fun is actually FUN!

When I bought it at launch I was so damn hardcore it just wasn't funny......

Remind me again, when cash flys out of a dead body it's payback right?

lionelhutz

CozMick said:
Remind me again, when cash flys out of a dead body it's payback right?
Close...

2re40ed.jpg

I'm two stars away from my first platinum trophy: just got all the 45 intel items, now I just need to clear Wetwork on Veteran. We have gotten to the last room at least five times now but always seem to fail with the last shot.

uraldix

DeuceMojo said:
True. I don't know about 8-10, but yeah, both these places + Terminal seem to engender penetration kills with their airplane bodies, corrugated tin shacks, etc.

The trick is to stand behind a wall and shoot people, not shoot people that are standing behind a wall (make sense?). Work the doorways, put a couple bullets in them then move to the side and finish them off through the wall.

wud

Neo Member
TheApatheticOne said:
I know, I did the same recently. While I have adjusted to the gameplay of MW2, going back to WaW made me appreciate it much more than I did.

Yep, the hit detection is so tight in that game due to all the bolt action rifles. I feel like I can play that game without stopping power and not be handicapped in a firefight. Plus all noobtubes are disabled at the start of rounds of search & destroy.

Shame the map packs have made that community so segregated - £20 for all of them? nooo thanks!

wud

Neo Member
OMGLOL A LLAMA said:

RUSH

Marathon, Lightweight and Ninja. Silenced UMP for large maps, Silenced MP5 for smaller maps. SMOKE GRENADES!! Make sure your whole team has them, 5 of you rush the place you want to plant at, one of you rush the other. The other person throws a smoke grenade at the target you're not planting then all 5 of you smoke the shit out of the target you are planting at. This confuses the enemy team and should split them up. Plant the bomb, claymore the area and camp! If you rush on the attack its very very easy.

Depending on your teams ability, it can be wise to move as a methodical pack, people covering the bomb carrier, clearing the area ahead and people to cover behind. Can't stress how important claymores are in S&D, place them everywhere - they stay behind after you die so you can easily rack up afterlife kills.

One person on your team should have SitRep on, because the other team will also be using claymores heavily.

The UMP and MP5 are powerful enough to win in most firefights, so don't worry about stopping power. Tactical knife or SPAS for your backup weapon though. DO NOT be tempted to use commando, you need Ninja Pro for the silent footsteps -- if its a proper clan game they WILL be relying on sound.

TERMINAL - rush A, the plane can be defended too easily
KARACHI - the bombsite that isnt near the bus, you can get there quickly and lob a smoke over the wall at the start
RUNDOWN - difficult map, i wouldn't rush. Only rush on attack
AFGHAN - rush B through the cave, theres usually a sniper or rusher in the cave though so watch out
WASTELAND - i generally don't rush and stick to coldblooded/sniper on here. Move carefully and try to avoid A
UNDERPASS - rush the bombsite inside the building
SCRAPYARD - danger close noobtube class. Don't even bother trying to plant, treat it like TDM because the map is gash
INVASION - rush the bombsite in the grass (B?) but watch out for snipers. Have a sniper on your team to cover you
HIGHRISE - rush underground. Get to their spawn, move back out and plant A

Defending, if you're brave and know the maps well then you can also rush. Flank them and take them out from behind one by one. If not, 3 of you camp at each bombsite. Simple as. Play a few matches and watch where people go to snipe etc. Learn the maps and spots for each playstyle

can you tell S&D is all i play?

dwin45 said:
Easily my biggest problem with the game. FIX THE BROKEN SPAWN POINTS!

I haven't had too much issue with the spawning. There have been a few times where I've spawned very, very close to where I was just killed and thus killed AGAIN by the person who just killed me, which I can't understand.

Cornbread78

Wow, my system let me play last night thanks to a Nyko Intercooler, and went 18-2 first game, I was psyched. Then next game, I start out 5-0 and all hell breaks loose: "Enemy care package Inbound" ... "Enemy Harriar" 1-2-3 Enemy "Care package inbound" ... "Enemy Cobra" 1-2-3 Enemy Carepackage inbound....

The funny thing is after those three, the system stopped saying they were coming, but they had Cobra, harrior, sentry, missile, missile, missile, It was friggen retarded, their whole team was negative also. This continued all night regardless of how many times we left that game and queued up for another. I've noticed it's done by mostly the same guys that used the XP hack as well....

It was Total crap and I was so pi$$ed I couldn't get in a fair match the rest of the night.

AARRGGHH Hurry with the patch already IW!

kaizoku said:
...I saw two enemies hidden in a corner, looked like they were trying to stab each other :lol really bizarre. WTF were they doing? I watched em for a sec and just killed em.

Are you sure it wasn't one person killing the other over and over using Tactical Insertion? Maybe they were boosting?

Didn't get much play time in on this last night due to MAG.

I remembered this morning on how much better MW2 is than it on certain levels......

All in all if you own a PS3 I still recommend picking MAG up for something to do other than MW2..... that is until BC2 comes out.

shermas

DoubleAced said:
I'm really getting tired of the Care Package runners. :\

i'll hold a package with my runner class every once in a while. it's kind of fun to just fly around the maps. i'm not very good at the knifing class, though, and usually only finish +5 or so.

The great question again: should I prestige or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qHwDvqr2L8
listen to the funny chicken sound you get when you change your mind in the prestige menu :D

I want to prestige but I don't feel like going through all of that again and I have prestiged twice already, I don't need the ak47 or the f2000, I barely use them.

I mainly use the ump, acr, m16, barrett and intervention.

should I go for it?

th3dude

I don't know if I was just having a bad night last night, or what, but everyone seemed to be camping. I hardly ever complain about or blame campers, but last night was ridiculous.

We were playing Wasteland TDM, and I swear the entire enemy team was sniping from around the perimeter of the map. Average life was 5-10 seconds as they had almost every side/corner covered. So frustrating.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Anaxagoras said:
The great question again: should I prestige or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qHwDvqr2L8
listen to the funny chicken sound you get when you change your mind in the prestige menu :D

I want to prestige but I don't feel like going through all of that again and I have prestiged twice already, I don't need the ak47 or the f2000, I barely use them.

I mainly use the ump, acr, m16, barrett and intervention.

should I go for it?

if you've prestiged twice u might as well prestige again to get the 7th custom class slot
thats what i was thinking when i decided to prestige for a 3rd time...that and i wanted the new title

FerranMG

Going through the last 10 levels is such a pain in the ass. It's taking me forever.

What's the point in letting you breeze through the first 55 or so levels in 1 day and a half of playtime, when the last 10 or 15 ones take the same time?

I think in CoD4, with almost 3 days of playtime I'd have prestiged two times already.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
sn1pes said:
I don't know if I was just having a bad night last night, or what, but everyone seemed to be camping. I hardly ever complain about or blame campers, but last night was ridiculous.

We were playing Wasteland TDM, and I swear the entire enemy team was sniping from around the perimeter of the map. Average life was 5-10 seconds as they had almost every side/corner covered. So frustrating.

I think I found your problem ;)

Man I'm bummed. It seems completely impossible for me to get 10 nukes. Oh well maybe by 10 prestige I'll be good enough to get 10 nukes. That or I'll be too shell shocked to care.

Top Bottom