• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

th3dude

RSTEIN said:
I think I found your problem ;)

Haha, good point. It seemed to be every map last night, though. But the Wasteland example was the worst.

I've played almost all TDM (currently level 57, no prestige) and it has NEVER been as bad as it was last night.

sn1pes said:
Haha, good point. It seemed to be every map last night, though. But the Wasteland example was the worst.

I've played almost all TDM (currently level 57, no prestige) and it has NEVER been as bad as it was last night.

Playing Wasteland with anything less than a sniper rifle and coldblooded mean instadeath for me. Unless I get a rare team that thinks camping in the tunnels are a good idea. Then it's noob tube city.

Tamanon

Banned
So, I've got a 360 right now, and haven't played a FPS since UT2k4 and getting stomped at the BC2 Beta. I'm looking to get back into shooters, is MW2 relatively unforgiving for newbies?

Tamanon said:
So, I've got a 360 right now, and haven't played a FPS since UT2k4 and getting stomped at the BC2 Beta. I'm looking to get back into shooters, is MW2 relatively unforgiving for newbies?

It's actually not to bad for newbies. The deathstreaks are pretty helpful when starting out. Copycat lets you take the class of the enemy who killed you which sometimes is pretty sweet. Although you might want to wait til the carepackage glitch is fixed. It can get pretty stupid real quick if you don't know how to stop them.

Tamanon said:
It's fine if you can accept that for the first hour or two you are gonna get your dick kicked in.... badly.

Choke on the Magic said:
It's actually not to bad for newbies. The deathstreaks are pretty helpful when starting out. Copycat lets you take the class of the enemy who killed you which sometimes is pretty sweet. Although you might want to wait til the carepackage glitch is fixed. It can get pretty stupid real quick if you don't know how to stop them.
I don't agree at all. I think that, as demonstrated by the week or so after Christmas, this game is not noob friendly at all. Sure, once you get the hang of the game and learn the maps, you'll do pretty well, but until then (probably for the first 12 hours of gameplay), you are going to get so fucked up. I still get people on my team who are in first prestige (non-70s) from time to time and from my experience, they always get stomped so hard. I'm talking like 2-25 stomped, not 10-20 stomped.

At this point in the game, you really need to be patient and committed if you want to play MW2, and know that you're going to get, like someone said about, your dick kicked in with an steel-toed boot.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
PalaceBrother said:
Are you sure it wasn't one person killing the other over and over using Tactical Insertion? Maybe they were boosting?

yep, I'm sure. They were doing it for a good couple of minutes too cos I snuck around all over the place before I found them in some little nook.

two enemies, both with red text, thats why I was able to kill them both!

jedimike

backflip10019 said:
I don't agree at all. I think that, as demonstrated by the week or so after Christmas, this game is not noob friendly at all. Sure, once you get the hang of the game and learn the maps, you'll do pretty well, but until then (probably for the first 12 hours of gameplay), you are going to get so fucked up. I still get people on my team who are in first prestige (non-70s) from time to time and from my experience, they always get stomped so hard. I'm talking like 2-25 stomped, not 10-20 stomped.

At this point in the game, you really need to be patient and committed if you want to play MW2, and know that you're going to get, like someone said about, your dick kicked in with an steel-toed boot.

It's not that bad... if you're looking to get back into shooters, then MW2 is the game you want. The guns you start out with are just as good as the guns in higher levels. The only thing you're missing is some perks and map knowledge. Once you get the maps down, you're essentially on level ground as everyone else.

My best advice would be to avoid running and gunning at first... just take it slow, explore the maps, and find some good cover areas to ambush enemies.

Cornbread78

Going through the last 10 levels is such a pain in the ass. It's taking me forever.

What's the point in letting you breeze through the first 55 or so levels in 1 day and a half of playtime, when the last 10 or 15 ones take the same time?

Hell, just use the stupid hack like the rest of the loser out there that have been level 10 for over a month already. Friggen' cheaters..

Cornbread78

Has anyone ever created a private match with only themselves so they can run around the level and learn the layout?

Hell yeah dude, it's a must, we've gone as far to go through maps in every game mode to plan for GBs, etc. It's the best way to learn some of the smallest details of the map that may be useful. I usually do it with buddies though, so we can talk through it.

.nimrod said:
patch 1.08 for the ps3 version is out

though i keep getting stuck at "Fetching Playlists..." now

yup, me too. getting pretty annoying. FIX THIS SHIT, GG.

'fetching playlists...
updating rank and unlocks complete.
connecting to matchmaking server complete.'

ok... fancy letting me play?

.nimrod

Cornbread78 said:
Really, holy $hit! Details? Any official word on what is is supossed to do?

i assume it's the same patch the pc version got a couple of days ago: 1887 bling fix, slower care package running and infinite care package fix

Ad Infinitum said:
yup, me too. getting pretty annoying. FIX THIS SHIT, GG.

'fetching playlists...
updating rank and unlocks complete.
connecting to matchmaking server complete.'

ok... fancy letting me play?

it just worked for me :)

kaizoku

I'm actually breezing through the last 10 levels far quicker than I thought. I'm like level 68-69 and I'm flying through really. I don't really want to go so fast cos I don't wanna be that guy who's Lvl 70 and I don't wanna make the call to prestige yet either!

I understand the 69-70 jump is big though....100,000 XP or so, thats exponential growth for you!

Nizz

jedimike said:
Come on Xbox... I was telling a guy last night to enjoy his care package running because that bullshit would be over soon :)
How do they plan on nerfing that? You'll run at normal speed now?

*edit* Just read .nimrod's post. Nevermind. :D

kaizoku said:
I'm actually breezing through the last 10 levels far quicker than I thought. I'm like level 68-69 and I'm flying through really. I don't really want to go so fast cos I don't wanna be that guy who's Lvl 70 and I don't wanna make the call to prestige yet either!

I understand the 69-70 jump is big though....100,000 XP or so, thats exponential growth for you!

I needed 79,000 points to go from 69 to 70.

Nelo Ice

Banned
i love the spawn system! just had a game of tdm on estate where my team was stuck at the boathouse and i kept spawning in the same area

i got like 15 deaths cuz i couldnt do anything and if i tried to escape they had the house and the only other exit covered

Cornbread78

i assume it's the same patch the pc version got a couple of days ago: 1887 bling fix, slower care package running and infinite care package fix

Thanks! Can some post the actually statement release of it though? from their website? Pretty please?

backflip10019 said:

That's not true in every case. It depends on your team and what map you're playing. Tbh until I can to custom classes I automatically back out heavy camping matches until I get a map suited for what weapons are available to me. The preset classes aren't the best, but they're useable, heck I still use them from time to time.

kaizoku

Wasteland games full of snipers are some of the most annoying type, but I find it to be one of my strongest maps. I equip my stealth class and just sneak around the tall grass or stick to the pits.

You can traverse A LOT of the map without ever revealing yourself, it's amaIng how hard you can be to spot when you prone, you're basically invisible if you know what you're doing.

If that fails, equip smokes to block their field of view.

The map is so big that sneaking behind enemies is usually possible, especially if they're looking through scopes a lot.

CozMick

Banned
Wow, the care package is THE perfect way to boost your kd/r

I felt dirty using it for the 1st time,

Never again gaf, NEVER AGAIN.

kaizoku said:
Wasteland games full of snipers are some of the most annoying type, but I find it to be one of my strongest maps. I equip my stealth class and just sneak around the tall grass or stick to the pits.

You can traverse A LOT of the map without ever revealing yourself, it's amaIng how hard you can be to spot when you prone, you're basically invisible if you know what you're doing.

If that fails, equip smokes to block their field of view.

The map is so big that sneaking behind enemies is usually possible, especially if they're looking through scopes a lot.

Equip SitRep too so you can see all the sniper Claymores. That little flash of red pretty much gives away their location from across the map.

th3dude

OldJadedGamer said:
Equip SitRep too so you can see all the sniper Claymores. That little flash of red pretty much gives away their location from across the map.

Pretty good idea, might have to try this.

kaizoku

OldJadedGamer said:

I'd probably prefer Ninja to hide from HBS and reduce footsteps. Although sitrep pro amplifying enemy noises would be useful.

I don't think claymores are heavily used by snipers on wasteland since the map is so open, an enemy can approach from all kinds of angles and more likely kill them in the back from a fair distance away.

th3dude

CozMick said:
Wow, the care package is THE perfect way to boost your kd/r

I felt dirty using it for the 1st time,

Never again gaf, NEVER AGAIN.

I really find myself doing much better in terms of kdr when I use the care package. I use UAV/Care Package/Predator and that gives me a lot of killstreak rewards. I see everyone on my radar, get a random killstreak reward, and a predator missile.

sn1pes said:
Pretty good idea, might have to try this.

I've had SitRep equipped for a while going for my Pro and I play Hardcore so when I see that flashing red, I make a B-line over to that location since there is going to be some dude near it. Very... very rarely will a guy plant a Claymore then run across to the other side of the map. I do this sometimes though and it's pretty funny to get my kill like 2 minutes later when I totally forgot about planting it.

kaizoku said:
I'd probably prefer Ninja to hide from HBS and reduce footsteps. Although sitrep pro amplifying enemy noises would be useful. I don't think claymores are heavily used by snipers as in wasteland you'll be dead before anyone approaches you from behind, considering they can shoot you from a good distance away.

Again, I play hardcore and yes... claymores are heavily used in Wasteland. Sure... if it's just me going after them but I play with my friends and we play as a team so you might be able to shoot me from your right but my friend from the left is going to get you and you can't avoid stuff like Predator missiles since I know their exact location and can either fire one off my myself or have friends do it.

And with noob tubes, you can fire those from across the map. I have zero problems with Snipers in Wasteland. But the best thing to do with camping Snipers in Wasteland is to camp in the bunker. Use the players impatience against them.

Aginor

Neo Member
J2d said:
My PS3 has frozen two times since the patch =/

Mine freezes everytime i enter a match only happened since the patch , PAL launch 60gb , tested all other games online etc all running a - ok :(

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Anyone still feel like defending IW's honor?

Ok so looks like the afghan rock glitch is still in the game.

My brother was playing last night and said that he killed a guy trying to get in there and then a little farther into the game he was in there shooting people and eventually got an EMP. Anybody else see this? I thought they fixed it.

EDIT-Sorry, this is supposedly a new rock glitch, not the old one. If you go right outside the back cave entrance on the cliff, and make a left against the wall, theres an ideal camping spot next to a bunch of rocks. That is where this new glitch is. My brother was 99% sure he was in the rocks since the frames were all fucked up. I'm gonna test it out in a private match.

Top Bottom