• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Lothars

Dabanton said:
Stop lying to yourself you're getting it day one. :lol

Maybe but when they keep pulling stuff like this, I have tons of games that are as good as MW2 to play, I don't need to pick it up day one and at the moment It's looking less likely that I will get it at launch.

Arjen

I'm getting it day one for sure, but no partychat is really shitty for me though.
I have tons of 'normal' friends on Live so we talk about other things.
Now i'm stuck in a Public Room where every one is yelling to us to: "stop talking foreign" *sigh

protonion

Cod4 is my favorite online game ever.250 hours and still playing.If mw2 is just as good I'll be happy.

PS3 day -4 (I'll have it this Friday!!!)

Violater

CitizenCope said:
I've already got the 11th off for this. Was worried about possible server issues on the 10th.
:D

I would be surprised if it isn't a good week of issues.
But hey that's what the SP is for.

Mr Spliff

What's the community generally like in this game? More specifically, is there as much random childish hate speech in COD4 as in another popular first person shooter I won't name? I like live but can't stand the ignorance, I had stopped playing on live for over a year, got a 48hr trial code and my first match on live was greeted with a 'Mr Sliff is a fag' before the match even started.

I'm definitely getting this next week and i'm very tempted to jump back online for the fun factor. Can anyone here comment on the COD community and if it is even slightly less retarded than the typical Live game?

I think I already know the answer but I'm just throwing it out there anyhow, putting on my +1 Hope gamer hat.

MarkMclovin said:
You can change the voice settings to friends only? I had no idea.

Problem fucking solved then.

Not if you are in the process of pulling people together or if one of your friends logs onto LIVE. That is my favorite part of party chat. We can convince someone to join or they can check in and see how much time is left on the current game so they know when to jump in. Its communication with your friends who are not in the game that will suffer and that is why it sucks.

protonion

dagZ said:
pfff. your shits weak. 408 hours and counting. :D

I got the game one year after release because I was in the army back then! So HA!
I don't play that much actually.30-60 minutes HC S&D only.But I do it almost daily.I can't get enough of it. The only thing I don't like are a couple of really bad maps.I hope in mw2 every map is top quality.

BTW I just checked the ps3 leaderboards.Some scores cannot be real!

Nightz

bigGIRLSblouse said:
Not if you are in the process of pulling people together or if one of your friends logs onto LIVE. That is my favorite part of party chat. We can convince someone to join or they can check in and see how much time is left on the current game so they know when to jump in. Its communication with your friends who are not in the game that will suffer and that is why it sucks.
This.

And maybe this won't apply for the first few weeks after the game is out because all of my friends are going to be playing this, but what about later on when my friends are playing other games? IMO that's one of the best features of party chat...being able to talk to your friends while playing different games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nightz said:
And maybe this won't apply for the first few weeks after the game is out because all of my friends are going to be playing this, but what about later on when my friends are playing other games? IMO that's one of the best features of party chat...being able to talk to your friends while playing different games.

X-box 360 button->Friends->Gamertag->Invite to Game/Party
->Party menu?: Invite to game
-> Invite to game?: Invite to party/game if they don't join.

ZOMG SO HARD TO NOTIFY SOMEONE THAT YOU WANT TO PLAY WITH "WANT TO PLAY CoD6" MESSAGES LIKE XBL DID BEFORE PARTY CHAT!

Edit: Have people become that fucking lazy that they forget about the invite to game/send a message function through XBL that has been there since the original X-box? Maybe it's because I can't fucking hear so party chat is USELESS for me in that front, but shit.

That OP was the first information I've read on the game other than the release date. Some of that stuff sounds sweet, like thermal scopes and being able to double up your weapon attachments. I cannot fucking wait for this game, I still play CoD4 on a nightly basis.

Now to go crawl back into my MW2-less cave for a week.

EDIT:
TheSeks said:

ZOMG SO HARD TO NOTIFY SOMEONE THAT YOU WANT TO PLAY WITH "WANT TO PLAY CoD6" MESSAGES LIKE XBL DID BEFORE PARTY CHAT!

Edit: Have people become that fucking lazy that they forget about the invite to game/send a message function through XBL that has been there since the original X-box? Maybe it's because I can't fucking hear so party chat is USELESS for me in that front, but shit.

I think he was more referring to the inability to be in a party talking to people playing other games, as some gamemodes are going to prevent you from using the party chat feature in multiplayer in order to promote "teamwork" and "communication" (read: general douchebaggery, racism, loudmouthed arrogance, and the occasional tidbit of relevant info to the game).

TheSeks said:

Sorry if many of us enjoy the new system in place and would rather NOT go back to how it was before. All in the name of communication with random people in matchmaking? Anyone else remember how random people communicate 99% of the time?

You can invite however you like but I would rather talk with my friends 100% of the time no matter what game they are playing.

Can someone break down this whole "no private chat in ranked games" thing on the 360? Is it true you can't use private chat in any ranked games? What's the difference between ranked and unranked? Does unranked mean you don't get XP?

HooCares

Neo Member
I'm fine with no party chat on game modes where you can exploit it for advantage (like single elimination modes where dead players can provide map intel with the free roam camera).

But others like TDM? What the fuck.

dagZ

RiggenBlaque said:
Can someone break down this whole "no private chat in ranked games" thing on the 360? Is it true you can't use private chat in any ranked games? What's the difference between ranked and unranked? Does unranked mean you don't get XP?

there is no such thing as unranked and ranked in multiplayer, and the only time you can use party chat is in mercenaries team deathmatch, free for all, and third person games.

MMaRsu

HooCares said:
I'm fine with no party chat on game modes where you can exploit it for advantage (like single elimination modes where dead players can provide map intel with the free roam camera).

But others like TDM? What the fuck.

Wait is there no party chat in the entire game then? Or what

Ubersnug

AWESOME SAUCE!

HMV just emailed me to tell me that my prestige edition is in the post and winging its way to me. Postal strikes aside I might have it by the end of the week - Amazingly well before the official released date!

dagZ said:
there is no such thing as unranked and ranked in multiplayer, and the only time you can use party chat is in mercenaries team deathmatch, free for all, and third person games.

What a fucking crock of shit, how are they able to get away with this? Is ghost playing all that huge a problem to warrent something this fucking stupid?

bigGIRLSblouse said:

I guess that if you are already playing and a mate comes on, you have to leave your game, invite your friend into the game party and then search for a game again together. With the voice feature, that I wasn't aware of, turned to friends only, you can still talk to your mate in the main lobby/game without using party chat.

However, you're fucked if your mate is playing something else entirely, and you just want to chat with them. You'd think that the game would know if both of you are playing the same game mind.

I hope I've got that right.

Nightz

TheSeks said:

Way to overreact, but that's not what I was referring to.

What if, in June 2010, I decide to play some TDM on MW2, then my buddy who is in the same party as me, decides to play some Hello Kitty Island Adventure. And then another buddy, also in the same party, wants to play Yaris. I would rather talk to them, but won't be able to, because of this party chat limitation that MW2 has.

Like I said, I won't see it as a problem within the first few weeks because all of my friends will be playing MW2. Later on though, it will be since I party chat with my friends on a daily basis and we don't always play the same games.

ChuBoi

Banned
Nice OP. Can we get a list of GAF gamertags like in Uncharted 2? Looking for some SpecOps buddies. Mic/no mic etc.

XBL - CHUBOI7 (put 'gaf' in ur friend request please)

ChuBoi

Banned
ALeperMessiah said:
Very nice OP. I can't wait.

Does anyone know how many levels of prestige there are?

I heard 70 now, but not completely sure.

Anyone know if Best Buy's doing any midnight launches in Canadia? Edmonton?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
When I was at gamestop this morning reserving my 11th copy of the game, the guy told me that they would be allowed to put MW2 into their PS3s at 9PM on the 9th.

I don't know why 9PM or why PS3, but that's why.

There was also this retarded shit talking old man saying he was #1 in the world at World of War badgering the poor cashiers. Then he asked for the price on a used copy of world at war :lol

-Amon-

Grow bored of the franchise and missed cod mw ... but have to buy this, i'm sure my clan will stop doing anything else when Mw2 comes out lol.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Y2Kev said:
When I was at gamestop this morning reserving my 11th copy of the game, the guy told me that they would be allowed to put MW2 into their PS3s at 9PM on the 9th.

I don't know why 9PM or why PS3, but that's why.

There was also this retarded shit talking old man saying he was #1 in the world at World of War badgering the poor cashiers. Then he asked for the price on a used copy of world at war :lol
What?

chapel

Banned
Nightz said:
Way to overreact, but that's not what I was referring to.

What if, in June 2010, I decide to play some TDM on MW2, then my buddy who is in the same party as me, decides to play some Hello Kitty Island Adventure. And then another buddy, also in the same party, wants to play Yaris. I would rather talk to them, but won't be able to, because of this party chat limitation that MW2 has.

Like I said, I won't see it as a problem within the first few weeks because all of my friends will be playing MW2. Later on though, it will be since I party chat with my friends on a daily basis and we don't always play the same games.
You can always move to mercenaries tdm which allows party chat. Joining TDM implies you have a party, otherwise you should join the no party tdm aka mercenaries and chat away.

chapel said:
You can always move to mercenaries tdm which allows party chat. Joining TDM implies you have a party, otherwise you should join the no party tdm aka mercenaries and chat away.

So Mercenary TDM is in? I found it to be super annoying that CODWAW didn't have that mode.

Doesn't seem like much difference between either version, but I'll be waiting for the Digital Foundry comparison anyway before I buy.

Nightz

chapel said:
Ok, if this is true, it shouldn't be much of an issue. I'll just wait and see what the limitations are when I get the game.

Top Bottom