• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

belvedere

Junior Butler
Aurora said:
It's a disgrace that they would release such a clearly unfinished game. And what is even more disgusting is how slow they are at sorting all this shit out. You've made your billions now do your fucking jobs.

I thought it was the internet's fault for being free, as hinted at earlier?

lionelhutz

Aurora said:
It's a disgrace that they would release such a clearly unfinished game. And what is even more disgusting is how slow they are at sorting all this shit out. You've made your billions now do your fucking jobs.

There's no requirement for them to sort these things out. They've already made their money and probably couldn't care less. When MW3 comes out they'll release a fancy trailer with a different Eminem song and everyone will jump on the hype train again and forget about all the issues with MW2.

Tamanon

Banned
Alright, dicked around in multiplayer some, played a few Team Deathmatches and one Free-for-all. Biggest thing I'm going to have to get used to is looking down the sight. Takes a bit to get used to, I bet most CoD folks have had that part down for a while. Made it about halfway to level 4, definitely going to take a little while to learn the maps and the various chokepoints/sniper's nests. Really fun thus far, although my best has only been 5 kills/12 deaths, but I'm playing against folks that have sunk hundreds of hours into it, so it'll take a while to get my bearings. I guess my most satisfying kill has been throwing a grenade at a guy as I knew I was dying.:lol

That's right, everybody. Keep throwing a fit. Not only does it make you look mature, but it magically causes patches to appear ahead of schedule.

Sometimes I wish all the whiners on this board actually knew what software development was really like. As someone who makes a living wriiting software, I know that it's nothing short of a miracle that games get released and finished in the first place. I also know that bugs are inevitable. Every piece of software has bugs. Some look easy to fix, but for whatever reason are tied into enough systems that fixing them is near-impossible.

Take AC2 for example. You can't play previously beaten missions in that game. Why? Because it introduced a game breaking bug that they couldn't figure out how to fix in time. So they yanked the feature out. That's the real world of software development.

So I don't love IW. But as a software developer, I understand what they've been going through. And I've put up with enough whining asshole consumers in my life to be completely numb to it. So I have no patience for the oh-so-intelligently written "fix your shit" posts that pop up all the time. Trust me. There are more bugs in their backlog than any of us even know. Acting like entitled, spoiled brats may make you feel good, but it's not going to make anything better.

But who am I kidding. You either already know this and understand, or you don't care and will continue to whine. C'est la vie.

th3dude

divisionbyzorro said:
Awesome post
Fantastic post. I've been thinking the same for some time now.

You also have to consider that if it were up to the actual devs, things would be much different. A lot of decisions get pushed on them by higher-ups.

kuYuri

For people looking for PS3 patch notes:

http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=260502

We've updated the European PS3 version of Modern Warfare 2, including the following fixes:

- Care Package, Emergency Airdrop, and Sentry Gun marker grenades sprint speed normalized.
- Fix for "infinite care package" exploit.
- Sentry Guns: Improved placement detection, preventing cases of Sentry Guns inside geometry.
- Model 1887: Bling using Akimbo and FMJ combination now has same range and damage as non-Bling Model 1887s.
- Improved player collision removing cases of getting into geometry and 'elevators'.
- Fixes to prevent various XP hacks.

US PS3 Players:
This patch should go live for US PS3 players at some point tonight according to Sony NA.

Worldwide Xbox 360 Players:
This patch is currently in certification at Microsoft. No ETA on it's arrival yet.

Tamanon said:
Alright, dicked around in multiplayer some, played a few Team Deathmatches and one Free-for-all. Biggest thing I'm going to have to get used to is looking down the sight. Takes a bit to get used to, I bet most CoD folks have had that part down for a while. Made it about halfway to level 4, definitely going to take a little while to learn the maps and the various chokepoints/sniper's nests. Really fun thus far, although my best has only been 5 kills/12 deaths, but I'm playing against folks that have sunk hundreds of hours into it, so it'll take a while to get my bearings. I guess my most satisfying kill has been throwing a grenade at a guy as I knew I was dying.:lol
And my point from a couple pages back has been proven. Thank you, Tamanon.

This game is not noob friendly.

wud

Neo Member
divisionbyzorro said:
That's right, everybody. Keep throwing a fit. Not only does it make you look mature, but it magically causes patches to appear ahead of schedule.

Sometimes I wish all the whiners on this board actually knew what software development was really like. As someone who makes a living wriiting software, I know that it's nothing short of a miracle that games get released and finished in the first place. I also know that bugs are inevitable. Every piece of software has bugs. Some look easy to fix, but for whatever reason are tied into enough systems that fixing them is near-impossible.

Take AC2 for example. You can't play previously beaten missions in that game. Why? Because it introduced a game breaking bug that they couldn't figure out how to fix in time. So they yanked the feature out. That's the real world of software development.

So I don't love IW. But as a software developer, I understand what they've been going through. And I've put up with enough whining asshole consumers in my life to be completely numb to it. So I have no patience for the oh-so-intelligently written "fix your shit" posts that pop up all the time. Trust me. There are more bugs in their backlog than any of us even know. Acting like entitled, spoiled brats may make you feel good, but it's not going to make anything better.

But who am I kidding. You either already know this and understand, or you don't care and will continue to whine. C'est la vie.

that is the single worst excuse ever

Tamanon

Banned
backflip10019 said:
And my point from a couple pages back has been proven. Thank you, Tamanon.

This game is not noob friendly.

Huh? Noob friendly doesn't mean a new player will have instant success, it means that the game is easy to get into for a new player, which this one definitely is. Now it's just a matter of learning it, the basic setup and interface is no problem whatsoever.

Ramirez

divisionbyzorro said:

I know things don't happen overnight, but the sheer amount of game breaking stuff that has been found since it's released is just inexcusable. I mean I can't even play a legit game anymore because it seems every game I join people are doing the emergency airdrop glitch...

I don't really care at this point, I'm moving on to BFBC2, I'm still pissed that I gave them my money in the first place though.

GoutPatrol said:
Because COD4 never needed fixes.

Well, it needed minor fixes but those were handled like a month after launch or so. Then there was a rock you could get into a year later that was patched... then a bug with modded controllers to let you shoot faster and that was fixed. Oh, and the flying problem that was patched if you altered your save file.

But those three big issues happened over the span of 2 years and were fixed pretty fast. Nothing like MW2 where there is pretty much a new game breaking bug every week.

Nizz

Strider2K99 said:
Thanks for the update, Strider. I can imagine people over at IW feel like pulling their hair out with the almost weekly brigade of new glitches.

Scarecrow said:
I prestiged last night. It's pretty neat re-getting all these base rewards all over again.
That little guitar note that plays every time you rank up gets me. :D I fought going Prestige but people were like "go for it" and I had found myself gettin a little bored so I did it.

The extra class slot is nice, but I think I'll go Prestige one more time and stay at the second one. I kind of like the second Prestige symbol and losing perks like Cold Blooded Pro, Commando Pro, Ninja Pro and others kinda hurts...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Jesus Christ people, the game is not the most broken piece of software ever written ok? And let's not turn this into some black and white deal where it's pro-IW gaffers vs the anti-IW gaffers, we're all in this together, but moaning every single time you run into a problem isn't helping the developers, gamers or this thread.

It's all well and good screaming about unfinished untested code but goddamn it's impossible to find everything and it's impossible to fix what you haven't found. A beta would have been useful but tbh I don't think the game is so broken it needed one.

Sure some of the problems are bad, but they're far from destroying my experience with the game, maybe I'm lucky, maybe it's mainly the ps3 owners or the Americans who have the most trouble but either way, just get on with playing what you can and wait for a fix. Otherwise just trade it in.

Maybe it's the guys who keep getting owned, one thing about this game, the best players will always rise to the top and dominate matches and maybe some of the serial whiners just can't deal with constant deaths and have no one to blame but IW. Those top players manage to get those scores despite having the same problems as the rest of us...

OldJadedGamer said:
Well, it needed minor fixes but those were handled like a month after launch or so. Then there was a rock you could get into a year later that was patched... then a bug with modded controllers to let you shoot faster and that was fixed. Oh, and the flying problem that was patched if you altered your save file.

But those three big issues happened over the span of 2 years and were fixed pretty fast. Nothing like MW2 where there is pretty much a new game breaking bug every week.

Game breaking is a stretch. There have maybe been two game breaking bugs and those were the javelin and infinite package glitch. The package glitch not so much because if you're on the other team, you almost always win because the other team is focused on douching it up and not on playing the game.

Bumblebeetuna said:
Game breaking is a stretch. There have maybe been two game breaking bugs and those were the javelin and infinite package glitch. The package glitch not so much because if you're on the other team, you almost always win because the other team is focused on douching it up and not on playing the game.

Indeed. Nothing in MW2 has been as bad as the flying nonsense in CoD4. NOTHING. That was game breaking.

mojiimbo

Bumblebeetuna said:
Those boosting 18-man Rust "private" matches were pretty awful. They completely broke the team tactical playlist and eventually even made it a pain in the ass to get into a vanilla team deathmatch/domination/CTF game. I can't remember exactly how long that lasted, but wasn't it a good week or two?

That being said, I can't really rage too hard at Infinity Ward for these bugs. That's bound to happen when you have millions(?) of people playing your game every day. If anything it just makes me annoyed at the certification process on consoles for patches.

divisionbyzorro said:
Super duper post

As a software QA tester, I totally agree 110% with this.

I think people need to stop using the word "broken" because its really starting to lose its meaning. From this thread, broken can mean something like the javglitch and it can also mean something like "I have to alter my play style because somebody isnt playing the game the way I want them to" and "somebody is camping in a corner and I'm too much of a chump to figure out how to get them."

Do people really complain about campers when there are care package knifers running rampant in every game I join? I'd rather play a game full of campers any day of the week than care package runners and 19TH CENTURY shotgun runners in a game called MODERN Warfare. I swear, I felt like I was in the minority today as one of the few NOT using either of those two setups.

One "fix" I'd like to see that I don't really see mentioned is to make the care package boxes heavier. When I have a care package dropping onto a flat snow spot in Derail, it shouldn't bounce and roll 10 feet away. That thing should hit the ground with a thud and not really move (unless it lands on a hill or something). I just got killed by my own CP sitting like 10 feet away from it on flat land after it hit the ground and came flying into my face. WTF is that?! Are they made of Nerf? :lol

Bumblebeetuna said:

Game breaking to me is when I'm playing with idiots that are exploiting bugs so much that I'm forced to quit the match and restart my search. When this happens too many times and I'm forced to wait out until a patch comes... that is game breaking to me.

Again, I'm a 55 Gold Cross in COD4 and have been around the block and MW2 is 20X the broken game that COD4 ever was.

BolognaSoup said:
Do people really complain about campers when there are care package knifers running rampant in every game I join? I'd rather play a game full of campers any day of the week than care package runners and 19TH CENTURY shotgun runners in a game called MODERN Warfare. I swear, I felt like I was in the minority today as one of the few NOT using either of those two setups. :lol

I've been reading this thread and posting since around the beginning and I've seen literally every complaint imaginable. While some complaints are pretty legit like the super long range of the 1887s before the first patch and the javglitchers, there are a lot of people that will complain about campers and people with "running" classes. Theres a complaint for just about everything here, its pretty amazing.

I dont know, I may just not get mad at certain things and just work out away around it. I'm still enjoying the game a lot and I probably will for long time to come.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
TheSeks said:
Oh, well, I have the BC2 demo on 360 to keep my company until the PS3 one is out to keep me company until BC2 is out...

Kinda wish I could get my $60 I dropped on this POS back. :|

We get it. You love Bad Company 2 and hate MW2.

Why are you in this thread?

Meh, I only see regular use of the care package glitch because it's so easy to do. I've run some miles with the CP grenade, but I've only rarely used it as the 'invincible knife runner' thing.

I see LOADS of people using blinged 1887's though. Glad to see them leave and drop down in k/d ratios.

Kinda sad to see the CP runner go though, I could still have made quite a few lightweight miles with it. It will take me forever to get those 150 miles left (250 for title) on lightweight. Which is odd too, since marathon only requires 104 miles for completion. Guess I'll be going for those 1000 UAVs then as well.

Even though I can't stand being level 70, since I get matched with all these multi-prestige people all the time who are way to good compared to me.

If there is one thing that I would want IW to patch in with DLC, it would be saving of ALL challenges, not just the prestige challenges. Having to work on payback or killstreaks - air strike... - or perks exclusively is sorta lame when you realise that they get unlocked so late in one prestige. I mean, getting 750 (!!!) equipment destroyed with sitrep takes forever and it is the last perk to be unlocked. That doesn't really make sense.

Oh, and more challenges, allthough not of the crate dropping kind. Nobody gets those legit except the extremely lucky. But sticking semtex to a harrier is sort of within the realm of the possible. :p

Oh, and unglitch the Pavelow, please. If it's supposed to count towards the killstreak reward, make it work as it should. And why doesn't a Pavelow count as a helicopter, but the apache does? It makes no sense.

Zeitgeister said:
If there is one thing that I would want IW to patch in with DLC, it would be saving of ALL challenges, not just the prestige challenges. Having to work on payback or killstreaks - air strike... - or perks exclusively is sorta lame when you realise that they get unlocked so late in one prestige. I mean, getting 750 (!!!) equipment destroyed with sitrep takes forever and it is the last perk to be unlocked. That doesn't really make sense.

Oh, and more challenges, allthough not of the crate dropping kind. Nobody gets those legit except the extremely lucky. But sticking semtex to a harrier is sort of within the realm of the possible. :p

Oh, and unglitch the Pavelow, please. If it's supposed to count towards the killstreak reward, make it work as it should. And why doesn't a Pavelow count as a helicopter, but the apache does? It makes no sense.

The thing is, imagine how long it will take to level through to a new prestige if all of the challenges never reset. It would be unbearably long. Pavelow is definite need of fixing.

They also need to make some improvements like putting your non trigger hand in your first person view if you get flashed or stunned and/or inability to look down sights if youre flashed or stunned. They also should take away knifing ability if you have akimbo guns out.

kuYuri

TheSeks said:
Oh, well, I have the BC2 demo on 360 to keep my company until the PS3 one is out to keep me company until BC2 is out...

106g8ja.jpg

Lionheart1827 said:
They also need to make some improvements like putting your non trigger hand in your first person view if you get flashed or stunned and/or inability to look down sights if youre flashed or stunned. They also should take away knifing ability if you have akimbo guns out.

It's really amazing this wasn't obvious to IW from the beginning.

Lionheart1827 said:
The thing is, imagine how long it will take to level through to a new prestige if all of the challenges never reset. It would be unbearably long. Pavelow is definite need of fixing.

I know, yet it also means some emblems are never going to happen to anyone.

I mean: Call in 1000 helicopters... unless this is saved somewhere 'under the hood' nobody will ever get there while presteging.

But I guess it goes two ways, since calling in 10 emp's is easy as fuck (Care Packages will get you them at some point and getting 15 kills is not that hard with killstreaks), but calling in 10 nukes is not within my skillrange, I guess.

MakgSnake

Banned
They need to update the game with giving the FLAG of Pakistan as well. I mean common, you have "KARACHI" map in multiplayer but no flag in the call sign option. hmmm.......

wud

Neo Member
MakgSnake said:
They need to update the game with giving the FLAG of Pakistan as well. I mean common, you have "KARACHI" map in multiplayer but no flag in the call sign option. hmmm.......

yeah i really love those nationality flags

Especially when theres a team full of brazilians and the map favela comes up you know to back out of that shit straight away because they'll know it like the back of their hand

Aginor

Neo Member
BROKEN MAYBE , BUT ILL SAY IT AND SAY IT NOW ITS AKIN TO CRACK I THINK ABOUT IT WHEN NOT PLAYING AND ONLY ONE OTHER GAME HAS HAD THAT IMPACT AND THAT WAS STAR WARS GALAXIES PRE CU AND I HAVE BEEN PLAYING COMPUTEY GAMES SINCE SPECTRUM DAYS .

Aginor said:
BROKEN MAYBE , BUT ILL SAY IT AND SAY IT NOW ITS AKIN TO CRACK I THINK ABOUT IT WHEN NOT PLAYING AND ONLY ONE OTHER GAME HAS HAD THAT IMPACT AND THAT WAS STAR WARS GALAXIES PRE CU AND I HAVE BEEN PLAYING COMPUTEY GAMES SINCE SPECTRUM DAYS .

129879d1234912931-broken-swingarm-b-king-greece-15may27-caps-lock.jpg

Mogg0

Banned
Agreed. Playing MW2 made me realise how superior WaW was in almost all facets. I haven't been back to MW2 since firing up WaW again. The maps are ridiculously good in comparison.

The scope of levels such as Outskirts, Downfall and Seelow are fantastic. Seelow is still my most favourite map of all time.

MakgSnake

Banned
wud said:

Especially when theres a team full of brazilians and the map favela comes up you know to back out of that shit straight away because they'll know it like the back of their hand
Lol. I know what you mean. So true. But yeah Flags are awesome feature. I was surprised they have U.A.E's flag as well, but not Pakistan. :( Cause I wanna have that flag with my buddies and then rule.. "KARACHI"... lol, but that map is freaking hard to master....

Mogg0 said:
Agreed. Playing MW2 made me realise how superior WaW was in almost all facets. I haven't been back to MW2 since firing up WaW again. The maps are ridiculously good in comparison.

The scope of levels such as Outskirts, Downfall and Seelow are fantastic. Seelow is still my most favourite map of all time.

I played a shit-ton of W@W, and while I do have to agree that it did have some fantastic maps, Seelow was crap. In fact, any map with tanks was awful, so Seelow, Outskirts, and Downfall were right out. Courtyard was pretty ass as well. My favorite map is the one with the Japanese castle; I think it was just called Castle? Makin Day was pretty good too, and Dome was good for just screwing around in.

I realize it's just a matter of opinion, of course, but I think the maps in MW2 are leagues better than the maps of W@W.

Parts

Jesus, am I the only person who hasn't encountered ANY of these glitches? I play on the PC and have put at least seventeen or so hours into it and haven't had a single Javelin abuser, piss taking care packager or even anyone in the walls. Am I just insanely lucky? Or is it just that some people are being unreasonable whiny assholes? Because every time I see this thread it's like I'm playing a different goddamn game.

Mileena

Banned
Making the jump from 1 sens to 2 seems like the most painful thing in the world. I wish there was something in between 1 and 2 because the gap seems so huge.

whitehawk

Banned
We've updated the European PS3 version of Modern Warfare 2, including the following fixes:

- Care Package, Emergency Airdrop, and Sentry Gun marker grenades sprint speed normalized.
- Fix for "infinite care package" exploit.
- Sentry Guns: Improved placement detection, preventing cases of Sentry Guns inside geometry.
- Model 1887: Bling using Akimbo and FMJ combination now has same range and damage as non-Bling Model 1887s.
- Improved player collision removing cases of getting into geometry and 'elevators'.
- Fixes to prevent various XP hacks.

US PS3 Players:
This patch should go live for US PS3 players at some point tonight according to Sony NA.

Worldwide Xbox 360 Players:
This patch is currently in certification at Microsoft. No ETA on it's arrival yet.
:(

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Mogg0 said:
The maps are ridiculously good in comparison.

Agreed fully.

I can deal with glitches and other issues with MW2, I'm not gonna bitch about that. The maps though ... don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the MP overall, but there's a lot of maps I find to just be so-so with a few I outright loathe - Derail being the worst offender. I *hate* that map. With a passion.

Mileena

Banned
Yep, all my friends are in agreement that Derail is the worst piece of shit in the game. I usually just back out when I get that map.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
why hate certain maps?

I hate Favela cos I get raped on there more often than not, I'm not a CQC type player so I often get annihilated. But when I'm on form with a shotgun I find myself quite enjoying it.

We tend to like what we're good at and hate what we're struggling with. for the most part I come out on top with this game so I enjoy it, on days where I'm losing it pisses me off and I moan.

I cant imagine all these moaners being high scorers on this game. You cant go from killing loads of people to "fuck this broken piece of shit" simply because its the kind of game where if you're doing well it feels amazing.

I haven't been keeping up with the game for a while now so what's all the complaining about? Last I checked they fixed the private matches thing, the Javelin glitch, and the 1887s (right?). Did people find some new exploit or something?

luiztfc

wud said:

The hell?

I'm brazilian and I have a really hard time in favela.

Meier

TheSeks said:
I am confident you can get at a bare minimum of $40 very easily if you sold it. Do it, leave the thread, never look back -- you won't be missed. I'm away from my 360 for 3+ days and jonesing for this thing like a fucking crack addict.

Top Bottom