• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
clashfan said:
Is it more accurate then FAMAS?

No, the recoil is pretty bad with the SCAR, you have to manage your bursts. I did get used to it and it can be really effective, but I'll also have moments where it doesn't take enemies down in time cos it's recoiling too much or not firing as fast as the other guy's gun.

Seems like most of the AR's are viable weapons, even the F2000 has its fans.

wud

Neo Member
kaizoku said:
I get really angry with S&D, its like playing a mode full of campers and I happen to be awful at camping. I start to feel really guilty about it and end up making an error, even though I know I'll die and I know if I stay where I am, I'll probably be fine.

How's everyone else approaching this mode? tips on how to win?

go back a few pages, i did a small essay on how to rush in S&D

kaizoku said:
No, the recoil is pretty bad with the SCAR, you have to manage your bursts. I did get used to it and it can be really effective, but I'll also have moments where it doesn't take enemies down in time cos it's recoiling too much or not firing as fast as the other guy's gun.

Yeah, I struggle to track enemies when their on the move with it, have had epic kills with it but a lot of situations where is should have done better.

I love the Famas's accuracy so use it as my main weapon.

Meier

I've started using the SPAS as my secondary with my FAMAS set-up (instead of the PP2000... no Raffica available yet) and holy crap is it awesome. I was never a shottie user but you can just mow people down with it.

Unfortunately, I've tried to get cute a few times and swap to it to get another kill out of it and I regret it every time... even with Sleight of Hand it takes forever to swap to and from it.

Meier said:
I've started using the SPAS as my secondary with my FAMAS set-up (instead of the PP2000... no Raffica available yet) and holy crap is it awesome. I was never a shottie user but you can just mow people down with it.

Unfortunately, I've tried to get cute a few times and swap to it to get another kill out of it and I regret it every time... even with Sleight of Hand it takes forever to swap to and from it.

I always hate how long it takes to switch to my secondary, and then I remember: that's the only reason handguns are still viable. Machine pistols may be more powerful, but you can switch to a handgun in the blink of an eye.

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
I find that knifing people is incredibly satisfying but I can understand why people get annoyed. When people start to complain I switch classes because I hate to ruin the game for e ery one else.

Meier said:

The SPAS is godly. I use it on Favela and Invasion as my primary and mow people down.

It's awesome to blast someone and they go back 5 feet. :D

.nimrod

divisionbyzorro said:
I always hate how long it takes to switch to my secondary, and then I remember: that's the only reason handguns are still viable. Machine pistols may be more powerful, but you can switch to a handgun in the blink of an eye.

i just started to use the magnum with tactical knife as my secondary for the intervention and holy crap it's awesome.
you can even outgun smg runners with that thing. it takes a while to get the hang of it though

shuri

Banned
Mojo said:
Dear IW, stop putting me into red-bar games every single match, you stupid fucking cunts, love mojo
Dear Mojo, your connection has problems and you are probably in closed NAT.

Kujo

shuri said:
Umm no, I have 24mbit ADSL2 with an open NAT. I get full green bars 5% of the time, because the game insists I get paired up with Americans when I'm in Australia, and there is no local search, so I can't do shit about it.

shuri said:

Had this 4 times yesterday, game is fine for 5 seconds then the hosts connection totally craps out but the game continues doesn't even bother to try and change hosts.

Pray for Mojo

Kujo

2nhmcrd.jpg

On the plus side I did get 2 nukes yesterday on a single red bar (everyone else were 3-4 green). Also stopped 3 nukes boosters, what is wrong with these people.

jayb

I have my PS3 on the DMZ, but MW2 still says my NAT is Moderate; shouldn't it say Open?

I don't have any connection issues...just curious.

jayb said:
I have my PS3 on the DMZ, but MW2 still says my NAT is Moderate; shouldn't it say Open?

I don't have any connection issues...just curious.

Yup should say open if your on a DMZ, can't remember if you actually have to do something in the PS3's setup to change it to open.

jayb

kyo_daikun said:
Yup should say open if your on a DMZ, can't remember if you actually have to do something in the PS3's setup to change it to open.

I tried changing my PS3's IP address settings from "Auto" to "manual" just to make sure that it was always using the same static IP adress my router is setup to assign it, but that didn't make a difference. MW2 has always said I have a Moderate NAT.

I just remembered that I have a Vonage VoIP box between my router and cable modem. That should be setup to be completely open, but maybe I need to double check that setup.

todahawk

kaizoku said:
I get really angry with S&D, its like playing a mode full of campers and I happen to be awful at camping. I start to feel really guilty about it and end up making an error, even though I know I'll die and I know if I stay where I am, I'll probably be fine.

How's everyone else approaching this mode? tips on how to win?

That's the thing, I really don't camp unless I just planted and I'm trying to anticipate and wait for the defusers. Even on defense I don't tend to camp much, I try to move a bit between at least a couple of points with good fields of view depending on how much of my team is left.

IMHO playing DOM so much my first time through really hurt my overall skills. I'm playing a lot of FFA and S&D now with new weapons and its really forcing me to pay attention to my surroundings a lot more. It's easy to forget to do but super critical.

greenjerk said:
I've been converted and now bow at the power of a silenced UMP.
I end up going back to the UMP after every prestige. It's in the critical path.

Ever notice how it has the best ADS feel? I pull the left trigger while walking and it feels like

A) I'm watching a movie where someone's wearing a steadycam that has a UMP in front of it

or

B) It mirrors real life so distinctly that I get an odd sense of vertigo.

MW still rules the FPS roost.

LM4sure

Banned
PetriP-TNT said:
After 6 days and 2 hours of playtime, I got my first platinum trophy! Hurrah! Now just all the challenges and 8 prestiges.

This is by far the easiest game to get a platinum on. Congrats though.

Choke on the Magic said:
I think I'm finally getting the hang of using FMJ. I feel like FMJ with the sniper rifle is like grinding levels in an old rpg though.
Intolerable. I haven't even gotten into sniper rifles yet and I dread the idea of racking up FMJ hits.

BTW: After flipping to 2nd prestige, I made a sniper class and got a couple of one shot kills on Wasteland. Only to realize that challenges hadn't been unlocked yet, so they didn't count. WTF! Nooooooooooooo.

DeuceMojo said:
Intolerable. I haven't even gotten into sniper rifles yet and I dread the idea of racking up FMJ hits.

You're best bet I've found is to just get a couple kills through windows before they're all broken. If you're not into using Cold-Blooded like I am Stopping power will help a great deal. The only guns I'm mastering this prestige are the M16 and WA2000.

Choke on the Magic said:
You're best bet I've found is to just get a couple kills through windows before they're all broken. If you're not into using Cold-Blooded like I am Stopping power will help a great deal. The only guns I'm mastering this prestige are the M16 and WA2000.

M16 will be far easier fo sho.

I was using the SCAR on Terminal yesterday and manning the ticketing desk, waiting for the other team to de-plane from the jetway. So my teammate runs on down the jetway, I see an enemy come out of the plane and I snap off a burst and take him out... and get an X-ray Vision challenge... so I'm thinking "huh? I had full view of that guy."

I shot him through the surface of my teammate's body. :lol So if you're really feeling like it's a grind, shadow your teammate and shoot people through him.

DeuceMojo said:
M16 will be far easier fo sho.

I was using the SCAR on Terminal yesterday and manning the ticketing desk, waiting for the other team to de-plane from the jetway. So my teammate runs on down the jetway, I see an enemy come out of the plane and I snap off a burst and take him out... and get an X-ray Vision challenge... so I'm thinking "huh? I had full view of that guy."

I shot him through the surface of my teammate's body. :lol So if you're really feeling like it's a grind, shadow your teammate and shoot people through him.

Wow.... Didn't know that was an option. Sweet.

.nimrod

Choke on the Magic said:

yeah, one-hit-kills through windows or fences count as fmj kills. i actually thought getting the extended mags for sniperrifles was way easier than for any other weapon

aku:jiki

Wooooo, I finally overcame my, uh, warrior's block and scored my 9th nuke for the challenge! I've been grinding it so hard that I've actually become worse at the game with time, but now I started messing around with my playstyle and I got my nuke when trying to play a match on Rundown exclusively with the SPAS. :D

I even kind-of camped for it, but unintentionally... There was a tactical insertion on the bottom floor by A so I assumed it belonged to one of the guys who kept coming there to camp and just kept looking for him around A. Turns out the TI belonged to some dude who had ran off far away and while looking for him all around A, the other campers gave me 9 kills just by trying to get back to their camping spot. :lol

DeuceMojo said:
BTW: After flipping to 2nd prestige, I made a sniper class and got a couple of one shot kills on Wasteland. Only to realize that challenges hadn't been unlocked yet, so they didn't count. WTF! Nooooooooooooo.
I really wish the challenges hadn't stayed locked during your prestiging. I'm still a little annoyed that I've done the Airborne challenge once, but it was too early in a prestige. I'm never gonna pull that off again! :(

todahawk

DeuceMojo said:
I end up going back to the UMP after every prestige. It's in the critical path.

Ever notice how it has the best ADS feel? I pull the left trigger while walking and it feels like

A) I'm watching a movie where someone's wearing a steadycam that has a UMP in front of it

or

B) It mirrors real life so distinctly that I get an odd sense of vertigo.

MW still rules the FPS roost.

Yeah, i'm absolutely loving it. ADS on the UMP is effortless compared to other guns, I'm blowing through the camo/headshots way faster than with any gun I've used previously. I don't even "see" the iron sights at this point, just the targets as I pull them under center.

aku:jiki said:
I really wish the challenges hadn't stayed locked during your prestiging. I'm still a little annoyed that I've done the Airborne challenge once, but it was too early in a prestige. I'm never gonna pull that off again! :(

That's the 2-kill streak while in mid-air, right? I have a thought on how to do that, but I haven't tried it yet. It takes the right situation: Domination on Favela, starting at the A-Spawn. Get a class with an SMG, the RPG, and Marathon. Sprint down to C along the left alley. Run up the stairs to get on top of the building overlooking C. Jump down towards C and fire the RPG in mid-air. There should hopefully be at least 2 baddies going for the initial capture of C.

At least that's how it plays out in my head :lol

First nuke after ~4 days played on ground war domination. Probably not that great, but it was a relief to finally get it legit and playing by myself in a public game. On scrapyard I got a 4 kill streak and ran to sit in the warehouse's top balcony. Picked about five guys off and launched the harrier to cover the building so I could get to da choppah. They must have sucked because nobody came to kill me as I decimated their team. It was really scary because we were being dominated as I was in the chopper and the score was running really thin. My team must have been pretty happy getting a nuke to bail them out when they were losing so badly.

I really like the 3 burst version of the m4. Since the damage is 40-30, you can afford to put a silencer on it without much of a loss at range. Stopping power makes that gun a beast. I get so many one burst kills from good body shots and random headshots at distance. Scavenger is clutch when paired with semtex or c4. Also, having unlimited flashes is pretty damn nice.

As flawed as this game is, I'm still having fun playing it, and it's been a couple months. Wish IW would fix bugs a little faster and get some DLC out there. Even 1-2 new maps would be exciting.

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
That's the 2-kill streak while in mid-air, right? I have a thought on how to do that, but I haven't tried it yet. It takes the right situation: Domination on Favela, starting at the A-Spawn. Get a class with an SMG, the RPG, and Marathon. Sprint down to C along the left alley. Run up the stairs to get on top of the building overlooking C. Jump down towards C and fire the RPG in mid-air. There should hopefully be at least 2 baddies going for the initial capture of C.

At least that's how it plays out in my head :lol
Ooh, good idea! I don't think it'll work in regular Dom anymore as nobody seems to hang around the first flag, but it should work on Ground War. I'm gonna have to start thinking of doing that.

lawlohwhat said:
First nuke after ~4 days played on ground war domination. Probably not that great, but it was a relief to finally get it legit and playing by myself in a public game. On scrapyard I got a 4 kill streak and ran to sit in the warehouse's top balcony. Picked about five guys off and launched the harrier to cover the building so I could get to da choppah. They must have sucked because nobody came to kill me as I decimated their team. It was really scary because we were being dominated as I was in the chopper and the score was running really thin. My team must have been pretty happy getting a nuke to bail them out when they were losing so badly.
Nah man, a nuke on Scrapyard is pretty great. :D

Yeah I will agree with a nuke on scrapyard is pretty great.

I am usually the asshole that ruins peoples nukes on that level.

Someone always ends up trying it so I keep a One Man Army + danger close + noob tube class around just for nuke people (and assholes that tube me)

LM4sure said:

Yeah I will have my 1,000gs on it as soon as I finish the vet playthrough

hey guys, why the audio on ps3(compared to the 360 version) is so bad?
I usually play on PS3 with an headset(EarForceP21) and i've noticed big differences in explosions and other sounds effects, i know it's not that important but.....i bought the game at €70 and i can understand some different things like the framerate and some textures, but i can't tolerate a stupid sound problem like this.

Sealda

Banned
I am getting more and more confident that there are indeed people who solely plays with a run and knife class. Why? Because i meet them in every game, at-least 2-3 guys who run around like fools. Also its absolutely horrendous how some players have claymore, noobtube, painkiller and last stand as main thing to get them kills. Its like, sure its fun with different perks but it really feels like some player sees them as their main weapon.

Its like 60 % of the players do not rely on their PRIMARY weapon to get them kills and i am sure most of the good players get more than half of their kills from kill-streaks. This is what i find is wrong with this game.

Its like, 60+ % of the time you do not get killed by a guy shooting with his PRIMARY weapon but with equipment, secondary, perk 3, death streak. Its like i do not even get mad when i get killed by a guy with a assault rifle instead i think to myself "fair". But when i mainly get killed by people who mainly get their kills either by commando, lightweight, noobtube, claymore and whatever stupid combination i feel that there is something wrong. After all the Call Of Duty series core is not commando, lightweight, noobtube, claymore but fire fights between people SHOOTING with WEAPONS at each other.

Sealda said:
I am getting more and more confident that there are indeed people who solely plays with a run and knife class. Why? Because i meet them in every game, at-least 2-3 guys who run around like fools. Also its absolutely horrendous how some players have claymore, noobtube, painkiller and last stand as main thing to get them kills. Its like, sure its fun with different perks but it really feels like some player sees them as their main weapon.

Didn't you get the memo? Noobtube is the standard weapon in MW2 now, who needs bullets when you can have one man army and infinite cheap nades?

It is a shame that this in particular means that a lot of people are dying just because of utter guesswork and 0 skill.

Dra-Q

Banned
kaizoku said:

AK47 ftw.

Sh0k

Sometimes I wish that there is match replay option in this game. Today was one of the more awesome deaths in the game while playing FFA, the map was Sub Base, there was a guy camping on the second floor room, I ran with my C4 to throw it from the first floor through the window and at the same moment the guy was jumping down from the window, he tried to shoot me but he shot the C4 in mid air, the C4 exploded killing him and myself :lol

todahawk

kyo_daikun said:
Didn't you get the memo? Noobtube is the standard weapon in MW2 now, who needs bullets when you can have one man army and infinite cheap nades?

It is a shame that this in particular means that a lot of people are dying just because of utter guesswork and 0 skill.

As much as I agree with you on cheap noob tubers I hate getting lumped in with them.

I haven't used my BOOM build since i prestiged (famas with m204, thumper/rpg and claymore with scav/dc/sitrep) but i've only had one guy bitch at me for using it (and that's because he had some crap luck and just happened to get killed by me repeatedly [like 6x, and i wasn't gunning for him]).

I don't camp, spray across the map randomly, and i only shoot "blind" around corners or into windows if I hear someone coming and they aren't showing as friendly on the radar.

And i take a little bit of pride in taking out campers/defenders/snipers with some difficult shots that actually require aiming and understanding of the arc involved. Right before I prestiged i was getting a lot of headshots with my nades at mid-range. I was also getting pretty good at popping nades in tight places/windows at long range to nail someone and doing it on the first shot.

UFRA

LM4sure said:

Wrong by a mile.

Dirt 2
That wrestling game that everyone platinums
Uncharted
Hannah Montana
Borderlands (time consuming but nothing difficult)

All examples of much easier platinums.

MW2's difficulty comes from Spec Ops and story mode in Veteran difficulty. There are definitely some good (but really fucking CHEAP) challenges to be found there.

Not saying it's super hard though...it's just about average in platinum difficulty I'd say.

greenjerk said:
As much as I agree with you on cheap noob tubers I hate getting lumped in with them.

I haven't used my BOOM build since i prestiged (famas with m204, thumper/rpg and claymore with scav/dc/sitrep) but i've only had one guy bitch at me for using it (and that's because he had some crap luck and just happened to get killed by me repeatedly [like 6x, and i wasn't gunning for him]).

I don't camp, spray across the map randomly, and i only shoot "blind" around corners or into windows if I hear someone coming and they aren't showing as friendly on the radar.

And i take a little bit of pride in taking out campers/defenders/snipers with some difficult shots that actually require aiming and understanding of the arc involved. Right before I prestiged i was getting a lot of headshots with my nades at mid-range. I was also getting pretty good at popping nades in tight places/windows at long range to nail someone and doing it on the first shot.

Obviously there are people who use these weapons properly and I have no problem with them what so ever, its just the fools who shoot these everywhere just in the blind hope there might be someone there just suck all kinds of fun out the game, im not going to go into a whine fest (there's enough of it in here to last at least till next year)

All I will say is the game where me and my friends ran into a whole team just specifically using the launchers and nothing else was easily the worst match i've had on this game ever (we still won but it was an extremly hollow victory)

Meier

So I finally got to 250 Headshots with FAMAS and got so excited only to realize that it just got me a silver with headshot title. Noooooo. :lol I thought I'd be getting the equivalent of BLADEMASTER since I didnt get it when I got to 2,500 kills.

Meier said:
So I finally got to 250 Headshots with FAMAS and got so excited only to realize that it just got me a silver with headshot title. Noooooo. :lol I thought I'd be getting the equivalent of BLADEMASTER since I didnt get it when I got to 2,500 kills.

Holy god, how much for the gold then? I only have 190 HS with the Famas and I thought that was for the gold too.

fusoya59

Hrm, has this Riot Shield setup been mentioned?

Riot Shield
Magnum/Akimbo (or Thumper)
Stun Grenade
C4
Scavenger Pro
Danger Close Pro
Last Stand Pro
Final Stand

I use it all the time. I'm surprised more people don't use this. Drop a C4 in front of the guy, and detonate behind your shield.

If you're on Last Stand, Magnum the guy to death, grab his blue backpack, and C4 yourself for a suicide.

I find that this build ruins lives. Hope you have fun with it!

Edit: oops forgot grenades!

UFRA said:
Wrong by a mile.

Dirt 2
That wrestling game that everyone platinums
Uncharted
Hannah Montana
Borderlands (time consuming but nothing difficult)

All examples of much easier platinums.

MW2's difficulty comes from Spec Ops and story mode in Veteran difficulty. There are definitely some good (but really fucking CHEAP) challenges to be found there.

Not saying it's super hard though...it's just about average in platinum difficulty I'd say.

What wrestling game is that?

Meier

kyo_daikun said:
Holy god, how much for the gold then? I only have 190 HS with the Famas and I thought that was for the gold too.
I think it must be 1000 at least.. :( Because I am on MASTER II now and there was up to MASTER III for the standard kills count.

Top Bottom