• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Had a solid night tonight. Got a nuke on Skidrow, which makes nuke #7. Managed to get a bunch of RPG kills, including a game-winning double-kill. Got a 5-kill with a Precision Airstrike. And never ran into any care package glitchers.

*sigh* Nights like tonight make me realize why I love this game.

kuYuri

Can't believe people are already looking forward to paying more money just for more maps. I'd rather IW concentrate on fixing the glitches first before I worry about spending more money on a game I already spent $60 on.

tsigo said:
Yeah that looks closer since the anchor is straight vertical and not at an angle. No rifle at the top though, I don't think.
emblem-077.jpg

ok, this is the only logo in the game with a globe and an anchor. (btw it's the Sea Snipers logo, which are the guys who did the strategy guide for the game) the problem is, I don't know how to unlock it..... :D

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
For those who have issues with MW2, do me a favor and go back to a couple games of COD4.

My biggest issues with MW2 is the netcode and the respawning. Surprisingly, COD4 has both these down pretty well. The game feels more responsive especially, even on a 3-bar connection. I'm wondering why MW2 cannot feel the same way? I'd like to get some other opinions tho. Report back what you think COD4 feels like compared to MW2.

Sushen

LeMaximilian said:
For those who have issues with MW2, do me a favor and go back to a couple games of COD4.

My biggest issues with MW2 is the netcode and the respawning. Surprisingly, COD4 has both these down pretty well. The game feels more responsive especially, even on a 3-bar connection. I'm wondering why MW2 cannot feel the same way? I'd like to get some other opinions tho. Report back what you think COD4 feels like compared to MW2.
It could be more data being passed around for those banner thingy at the top of the screen. It could have something to do with new netcode. You know, every programmers have this illusion that they can write 10 times better code if they redo it, especially if it's written by someone else.

kuYuri

LeMaximilian said:

As someone who's played CoD4 a crapton, I can already tell you CoD4 has better netcode than MW2 without having to jump into a game right now.

LeMaximilian said:

This is what happens when you make the maps bigger with more unnecessary physics crap and objects scattered all over it. Then you got the killstreaks and exploding this and that and yada yada. It's bogging down the 360 ever so slightly. The host has to update to tell everyone that I just shot a milk carton across the map... which bogs down everything just a tad including your 360's ability to pick up and give out packets of information. This is probably why S&D games have lag at the beginning of every freggin round. The system is working hard to reset everything and hiccups. Hiccups cause sync issues. Sync issues lead to stopping and re-syncing.
The netcode during gameplay is probably near identical to cod4 and why wouldn't it be? This explains the reoccuring issues and the overall similar 'feel' ... but cod4 didn't have a lot of the junk mw2 has. It can handle it, but 20 pounds of flour is still heavier than 18 pounds and anyone can tell the difference 2 pounds makes no matter how strong you are.

The issue i have is that it's 2 pounds of utter nonsense that at best does nothing for the game. That or emphasis on gameplay rather than nongameplay oriented stuff like physics clutter, random exploding clutter and over complicated spaces could have partially remedied this game in terms of lag and gameplay. For instance, was the clutter-happy chicken farm in karachi necessary? Is that good gameplay space? No. Cod4's Crash or Backlot is about as cluttered as a map should ever get, which is to say it had some wall clutter but nothing you can hide behind/disguise in. If there was something in the map, it was there for design purposes. if I took a picture of an enemy trying to hide in the map, you could spot him no problem. Good luck doing that in a lot of the overcluttered spaces in mw2.

Scarecrow

Holy crap, there's more playlists other than TDM and Ground War. I just did a few Search and Destroy, and they were pretty fun.

Mileena

Banned
I don't know how people could only play TDM and Ground War and have fun with the game. Demolition and Search are where it's at.

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
Scarecrow said:
Holy crap, there's more playlists other than TDM and Ground War. I just did a few Search and Destroy, and they were pretty fun.

About a week ago I decided to play some S&D instead of TDM just to take it down a notch ... ended up doing really well and just staying with it all day. Next day I go back to playing TDM ... I ended up doing horrid because I wasn't prepared for people running around random corners like chickens with their heads cut off spraying bullets. It's like a whole new game when you switch to no respawning :lol

Scarecrow

it's like the handguns can actually hurt someone now. I put a silencer on the USP and I feel like a first person solid snake with a socom. Now if they'd only put tranq's in the game.

xtheEnemy

Banned
whitehawk said:
Ha! Got a 27 killstreak!

didn't have nuke equipped ;_;

happens all the time on most players who have no
nuke equiped

hell I even got my 37 killstreak on a UAV/Predator/Harrier setup.

:lol

rezuth

I'm always forced to play Hardcore Team Deathmatch with friends and it is pretty freaking boring. I appreciate the awesome of not having radar, bullet information etc and almost not have any hp at all. This however leads to people just laying in weird places and camping for the whole round as there is no goal besides killing the enemy.

This just gets sooooo boring and tedious I can't believe people would want to play this. I tried the other hardcore mode and its pretty fun but ofc they refuse to play it cuz they find it "boring". Please! If I wanted to play dm I would play Quake Live.

Also what is up with not having hardcore modes for all gametypes?

VALKYRAY

Banned
did 1.08 really fixed care package runner glitch? i am still getting stabbed by people running around with a care package signal grenade in hand.

rezuth

Am I the only one who find that sometimes when you fire at people sprinting towards you with the knife it does not seem to hit them? In the killcam it plays back me not firing on the person even though I fired like 1-2 secs before they knifed me.

kuYuri

VALKYRAY said:
did 1.08 really fixed care package runner glitch? i am still getting stabbed by people running around with a care package signal grenade in hand.

Do they still have the increased speed? Maybe they don't realize that speed has been fixed.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
MP is completely unplayable at night for me on Comcast. I lag through out the entire game to the point where I can't even move. I'm just teleporting all over the map. Perhaps one of the most frustrating things on the face of the planet is having a baddie lined up in your sights to then start teleporting around the map, only to be stopped when the baddie has killed you. UGH!

Yes, open nat, fast internet. It's flawless during the day, until about 10:30pm when it gradually starts getting worse. I called Comcast the other day and what the guy essentially said was that it was probably something wrong on their end but they can't really do anything unless I keep calling and reporting the problem and going through their troubleshooting process. Well, that's a lot of wasted time on my end and frustration trying to describe the problem to the person on the phone. Don't know what to do, I should probably just bite the bullet and continue calling them...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I prefer MW2 massively to COD4, I suspect the reason is I am ok at MW2 but abysmal on COD4. Is that the case for you guys harping on about COD4? The game you played for a year and got real good at and can't forget about?

I hated COD4, so much so I sold it. I repurchased it awhile ago to finish the story mode and revisited the MP the other day to compare and it's just not for me. Playing on the PS3 doesn't help, maybe that was why I sucked at it in the first place, but I am still haunted at being spawn camped game after game on COD4 whereas the new spawning system and maps makes that almost impossible on MW2.

Only time you get "spawn camped" is when you spawn in an open place and someone has a killstreak in the air. Rare occasions you can feel similar in highrise against a good team but it's not quite the same as you can camp in the office and they have to hunt you down.

I'm open to the suggestion of other shooters to play though, what's everyone recommending?

aku:jiki

rezuth said:
Also what is up with not having hardcore modes for all gametypes?
Because it wouldn't matter - they would all suffer from the same problems as HCTDM. People would just camp in weird places by the objective, trying to leech as many kills as they can because there's no killcam to show people where they're hiding.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it - hardcore mode is actually just noob mode. Don't have to be able to aim since 1 bullet kills so just spray at whatever's moving and you'll get a kill even through walls or cover, no killcam to stop shitty corner camping and the heartbeat sensor is unstoppable unless your team rolls with Ninja. I have a friend who absolutely adores HCHQ; he also happens to be a shameless HBS camper who loves to lay in one spot and milk kills for an entire match. I see a direct correlation.

aku:jiki

Woo! Decided to play a couple of matches inbetween some chores today and I managed to get my 10th nuke in the third match. In a very odd match too - they were kicking my ass, especially one sniper kept pulling insane quickscopes on me. Somehow, I still managed to streak the Harrier and I got a lucky one - it just tore shit up immediately when it came in and I didn't even have a chance to react before I had CG. Got a decent CG but had to work it pretty hard and got the nuke at the very end of it. Like right as I killed the guy and the pop-up came, CG ended. And our score was 195 with 2 flags when CG ended. Too close! :D

Managed to somehow score 1bullet2kills yesterday too. Was defending A on Derail with a sniper, heard someone had managed to snuck by me and jumped down to try to quickscope expecting to fail and die but somehow I succeeded and there was apparently two guys standing there all lined up! Too bad boosters have ruined the cred of both the titles/emblems I just earned. :(

Oh man, can't wait to finish the rest of the stuff I have to do today so I can go home and finally hit that prestige button and have fun with the game again! It's gonna be awesome!

(Hardlined UAV spotted!)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Put a bit more time in last night/this morning and got my 4th prestige on.

Red cross is so much hotter than grey gear.

.nimrod

kaizoku said:
I prefer MW2 massively to COD4, I suspect the reason is I am ok at MW2 but abysmal on COD4. Is that the case for you guys harping on about COD4? The game you played for a year and got real good at and can't forget about? [...]

i think a lot of people like cod4 more because there a a lot less annoying tactics resulting in cheap deaths. at least that's why i like it more.
oh, and because of the better netcode

aku:jiki said:
Because it wouldn't matter - they would all suffer from the same problems as HCTDM. People would just camp in weird places by the objective, trying to leech as many kills as they can because there's no killcam to show people where they're hiding.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it - hardcore mode is actually just noob mode. Don't have to be able to aim since 1 bullet kills so just spray at whatever's moving and you'll get a kill even through walls or cover, no killcam to stop shitty corner camping and the heartbeat sensor is unstoppable unless your team rolls with Ninja. I have a friend who absolutely adores HCHQ; he also happens to be a shameless HBS camper who loves to lay in one spot and milk kills for an entire match. I see a direct correlation.

Even if there's no killcam in HCTDM, when killed the camera shifts to show you the direction from where the bullet came, so if you're killed by a camper it's still very easy to see where they are positioned.

kaizoku said:
I prefer MW2 massively to COD4, I suspect the reason is I am ok at MW2 but abysmal on COD4. Is that the case for you guys harping on about COD4? The game you played for a year and got real good at and can't forget about?

Not the case for me. I prefer CoD4 because it had infinitely better maps/game flow, it's more grounded in reality, the killstreaks were simpler/made for better gameplay, and the gun/perk combos weren't capable of ridiculous outcomes. The Nuke + Care packages make everyone camp, the maps make everyone camp, the IDEA of Akimbo in a game like this is absurd, the spawns are HORRIBLE, etc. etc. etc. I'll stop now because I've crapped on this game enough in this thread, probably because I'm so dissapointed in something I was sure I would love as much as CoD4. Sadly, I've put this game on the shelf for now after playing CoD4 for almost a year and 1/2 after release, and will most likely move to BF:BC2. Here's hoping I can start having fun with the CoD franchise again sometime in the future.

Personally, I think killstreaks should be changed for Teamstreaks. The higher your 'team points' go up, ie. by capturing flags, planting bombs etc, the better the reward.

Would totally change the game wouldn't it?

Mr. B Natural said:
This is what happens when you make the maps bigger with more unnecessary physics crap and objects scattered all over it. Then you got the killstreaks and exploding this and that and yada yada. It's bogging down the 360 ever so slightly. The host has to update to tell everyone that I just shot a milk carton across the map... which bogs down everything just a tad including your 360's ability to pick up and give out packets of information. This is probably why S&D games have lag at the beginning of every freggin round. The system is working hard to reset everything and hiccups. Hiccups cause sync issues. Sync issues lead to stopping and re-syncing.
The netcode during gameplay is probably near identical to cod4 and why wouldn't it be? This explains the reoccuring issues and the overall similar 'feel' ... but cod4 didn't have a lot of the junk mw2 has. It can handle it, but 20 pounds of flour is still heavier than 18 pounds and anyone can tell the difference 2 pounds makes no matter how strong you are.

Thank you for writing something intelligent about this issue on the boards rather than just talking shit about "netcode" when most people here wouldn't know what "netcode" was if it was staring them in the face. You are right: the typical match of MW2 has much more going on during it than a typical match of CoD4, especially when you consider things like real physics on grenades, tons of different air supports, etc...

Now, I personally think that the majority of the issue is that players got subconsciously used to how CoD4 played, lag and all, and MW2 plays enough differently that you're going to notice minor lag a lot more than you did before. And maybe I'm just spoiled with great internet, but I roll with a wired connection to cable internet, with an open nat, and unless the host is utter crap, I rarely notice lag (the notable exceptions being face-to-face shotgun duels).

kuYuri

A funny thing happened in a game of S&D today.

It was S&D on Wasteland and on one of the rounds, it came down to me and another guy on the opposite team and I was on defense. I had to cover A and B of course, so I had a streak going that got me a sentry early on from a Care Package.

So with about 1 minute left in the round, I put the sentry a few feet away from the tunnel entrance facing B, with the sentry pointing towards the house near the middle slightly to the right of Spetnaz spawn. I wait around inside the tunnel facing towards A, I knew the guy was in the area cause that's where my other teammates died.

So I notice my opponent calls in a Care Package of his own, which I find to be a risky and pointless move so late in the round and only one guy left. So I continue to wait and realize the guy doesn't go for his CP at all after it lands. It becomes super obvious he's trying to bait me into going for the CP, so I stand my ground. So only about 15 seconds or less remain and I hear my sentry either gets knifed or the time for it runs out. Then I start to realize he's definitely not going for the plant at this point, I'm watching A and it seems he wouldn't have enough time to get to B. He also never picks up whatever was in the CP.

So the round ends and my team wins it and in the lobby, either he or someone else on the opposite team calls me stupid for not going for the CP which he claims had an AC-130 and in my head, I'm thinking "Uhhh, what? You seriously think I'm going to fall for such an obvious trap?" First of all, I don't even know what's inside the CP since the contents aren't shown on my HUD and second, you're the dumbass for wasting the CP. :lol

I would go on to do 11-1 in the game, which had like 3 10th prestiges on the opposite team, which I had considered leaving at first cause I'm not a fan of Wasteland. Some people in this game just say and do the dumbest shit.

GasProblem said:
The increased speed is still in. Well, it was yesterday. Went 24-7 with just a knife :X

Seriously? Wow.

So has the Infini-Tube fad started to fade? For a couple weeks it seemed that 75% of players were using that kit; I played for a few hours last night and the only person I ever saw doing it was myself a couple of times for kicks.

snap0212

Strider2K99 said:
As someone who's played CoD4 a crapton, I can already tell you CoD4 has better netcode than MW2 without having to jump into a game right now.
Not if you have a 1MBit connection (slower connection)!

Mik2121

Best thing is, remember the patch we got a few days ago?

Well, Japan still doesn't have it so now I can't fucking play with ANY of my friends (I'm in Japan but with an American copy) because they have yet to release the fucking patch over here.

I hope Sony (or IW?) fixes this shit asap.

divisionbyzorro said:
You are right: the typical match of MW2 has much more going on during it than a typical match of CoD4, especially when you consider things like real physics on grenades, tons of different air supports, etc...

Bad Company's netcode must be something of a miracle then. Bigger maps, vehicles, destructible environments and buildings that blow up.

rezuth said:
I'm always forced to play Hardcore Team Deathmatch with friends and it is pretty freaking boring. I appreciate the awesome of not having radar, bullet information etc and almost not have any hp at all. This however leads to people just laying in weird places and camping for the whole round as there is no goal besides killing the enemy.
This is exactly what I used to think about TDM in general, but now I play tons of it 'cause it makes for some pretty exciting matches.

I agree with you on hardcore though -- I HATE it. I've tried to get into it in both games, but it's just lame. If I wanted to play "where did he shoot me from" I would've fired up GRAW.

mYm|17|

Net_Wrecker said:
Not the case for me. I prefer CoD4 because it had infinitely better maps/game flow, it's more grounded in reality, the killstreaks were simpler/made for better gameplay, and the gun/perk combos weren't capable of ridiculous outcomes. The Nuke + Care packages make everyone camp, the maps make everyone camp, the IDEA of Akimbo in a game like this is absurd, the spawns are HORRIBLE, etc. etc. etc. I'll stop now because I've crapped on this game enough in this thread, probably because I'm so dissapointed in something I was sure I would love as much as CoD4. Sadly, I've put this game on the shelf for now after playing CoD4 for almost a year and 1/2 after release, and will most likely move to BF:BC2. Here's hoping I can start having fun with the CoD franchise again sometime in the future.

Pretty much how I feel on the subject. I haven't played MW2 in awhile since I have been playing the fuck outta ME2.

The only time I really play MW2 is when one of my friends ask me to join his party.

Mully

So a few friends and I always play together whenever we're all on. A few weeks ago we were on a huge winning streak (44 games in a row) and we were paired up with this nice guy. He wasn't that great of a player, but he always contributed to the team in some way. (One game he captured 12 flags for us.)

He added me to his friends list and I had no problem with it. However I feel bad for the guy. He joined one of our games last night and he actually went 1-35. No offense to the guy, but we lost the game because of him (It was Team Deathmatch)

He joins our games a lot and usually does just as poor. I don't want to be a jerk and say do this or that. But I think it would be smart to maybe suggest another game for him because I really can't see how he's having fun.

Any thoughts?

Sealda

Banned
MarkMclovin said:
Personally, I think killstreaks should be changed for Teamstreaks. The higher your 'team points' go up, ie. by capturing flags, planting bombs etc, the better the reward.

Would totally change the game wouldn't it?

Yes that would be great. But it would also lead to it being a horrible game for PUGs. As of now it does not matter if your meeting a clan or a PUG as long as your a solid player you will still enjoy personal success. One might think that team streaks would push people to play more tactical. The reality would be that parties with mics would rape single players. Like 70 % of the player no matter how much you gain from playing tactical for the team would still do the opposite. Just look at WoW and the BGs. There you got text chat and raid warnings and there is still 70 % of the players farming kills no matter the rewards from winning the match. Just thinking about trying to put up tactics in WSG with PUGs makes me shudder. And then WoW is a much more easy game to get the current tactics to all the players.

The likely scenario in MW2 would be worse in the sense that it would be impossible to get people to understand the teams tactics. But at the same time its not as big of a deal if players are not following the tactics compared to let say WoW. Its like a PUG of good players who do not care about capturing the flag in CTF can still beat a well coordinated party of mics who have people defending and capturing.

todahawk

Funniest thing I've seen in awhile... was playing S&D in sub base, I had died and was spectating the last guy left on our team. He's hit and killed but has final stand and takes the other guy out. Unfortunately, the other remaining enemy plants (IIRC).

So here's our whole team, watching our last surviving team-mate, butt scootching as fast as he can towards the bomb site. I realize he's never gonna make it in time and I think our guy died, dunno for sure I was laughing so hard. Got to the lobby and everyone was dying laughing. Wish i could've recorded it.

What are people's thoughts on non-prestigers?
In the COD4 lobbies I would catch some flak but playing nothing but games in a party with MW2 I miss all that fun.
I will never prestige. NEVER!!

cod4 was a more balanced and fun game overall. MW2 is basically taking COD4 and over stuffing it with a whole bunch of content which just has lead to a shit ton of issues.

CitizenCope said:
What are people's thoughts on non-prestigers?
In the COD4 lobbies I would catch some flak but playing nothing but games in a party with MW2 I miss all that fun.
I will never prestige. NEVER!!

Its a personal choice, I personally prefer getting experience and would like to get some of the other emblems and titles, not going to beat up on someone just because they don't want to prestige as its nowt to do with me

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Mully said:
So a few friends and I always play together whenever we're all on. A few weeks ago we were on a huge winning streak (44 games in a row) and we were paired up with this nice guy. He wasn't that great of a player, but he always contributed to the team in some way. (One game he captured 12 flags for us.)

He added me to his friends list and I had no problem with it. However I feel bad for the guy. He joined one of our games last night and he actually went 1-35. No offense to the guy, but we lost the game because of him (It was Team Deathmatch)

He joins our games a lot and usually does just as poor. I don't want to be a jerk and say do this or that. But I think it would be smart to maybe suggest another game for him because I really can't see how he's having fun.

Any thoughts?

damn.... er.... just don't talk to him anymore? don't invite him to your party, that way even if he joins your games he's not guaranteed to be on your team everytime.

1-35 just seems like a guy who isn't trying hard enough to be honest. thats ridiculous. suggests he is just running around carefree not giving a damn.

I give people shit when I happen to have my mic in and feel like they're not pulling their weight.

Like one time I was playing with friends I know through work, so not close or anything, and I was holding B on Terminal. It was just me vs a whole bunch of enemies for a pretty long time and I kept saying I have trouble at B.

I was actually doing ok, it was me like me vs at least 3 guys who kept coming back for more, I'd usually kill 2 and the last guy would get me and I'd respawn and get him then the other 2 would come back and the 3rd guy would get me again and so on. it was very to and fro for awhile as I would defend, recapture and die and after awhile with no back up I just said "what the hell is everyone doing?!?!"

my thinking was what the hell could everyone be doing if I'm fighting off 3 guys at B by myself for that long?

with your guy I would've definitely been like "holy shit 1-35? what the fuck were you doing?"

some guys I've run into in games literally just walk around the map trying to climb new areas and not giving a damn about the actual game.

my mate played a game with us once where he just laid on the floor cos he was having his dinner at the same time and he managed to get 6 kills and only 1 death. 1-35 is atrocious.

kyo_daikun said:
Its a personal choice, I personally prefer getting experience and would like to get some of the other emblems and titles, not going to beat up on someone just because they don't want to prestige as its nowt to do with me
Cool.
People in my own clan were questioning why I wouldn't Prestige. "I like opening up new ranks and completing challenges, what do you play for?"
Me: "Winning?"
I don't even check my challenges either.
I do understand the other side also.

Top Bottom