• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

kyo_daikun said:
Its a personal choice, I personally prefer getting experience and would like to get some of the other emblems and titles, not going to beat up on someone just because they don't want to prestige as its nowt to do with me

It certainly is a personal choice. But know that once you start prestiging, you're going to be tempted to keep doing it. I'm P1L67 right now, and I full intend on starting Round Two soon after hitting the cap again. I'll probably go for AK-47 mastery first, while I wait for my buddy to catch up, but when that happens, I'll take the plunge again, no questions asked.

Sealda said:
The likely scenario in MW2 would be worse in the sense that it would be impossible to get people to understand the teams tactics. But at the same time its not as big of a deal if players are not following the tactics compared to let say WoW. Its like a PUG of good players who do not care about capturing the flag in CTF can still beat a well coordinated party of mics who have people defending and capturing.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not really talking about being rewarded for tactics. What I'm saying is instead to getting streaks for kills in Domination, for example, you get them for each point to take back. So lets say I have a streak of UAV(3), Pave Low (11) and EMP (15) then each time I take a point, the number builds up by 1 until I reach each of the reward. You die and it gets reset back to 0. You don't take flags and just camp? Then you get a lower amount of points per kill which don't add towards a streak. TDM or FFA would need to be kept as it is now.

So going by the example above, tactics don't mean much as you all have a single objective anyway, whether in a team with mics or not. Also, wouldn't this make sense to force no XBL party chat too?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Is it bad that I quit a game if I see the match clock ticking down and the other team is loaded with the top players from the last game (meaning they are partied together) that I quit out and try a different game?

I figure that those folks are clearly working well together, putting the entire other team at a disadvantage (assuming we aren't partied together as well)...so why bother? They've already demonstrated that they can be dominant by their scores from the last game (that I wasn't a part of, mind you)...so why enter an obviously skewed battleground?

Part of me feels like a coward, but the other part of me knows full well that game would be nothing but me screaming because I never get a chance to take them 1:1 or even 2:1...once you rattle the nest they're all coming just for you.

MarkMclovin said:
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not really talking about being rewarded for tactics. What I'm saying is instead to getting streaks for kills in Domination, for example, you get them for each point to take back. So lets say I have a streak of UAV(3), Pave Low (11) and EMP (15) then each time I take a point, the number builds up by 1 until I reach each of the reward. You die and it gets reset back to 0. You don't take flags and just camp? Then you get a lower amount of points per kill which don't add towards a streak. TDM or FFA would need to be kept as it is now.

So going by the example above, tactics don't mean much as you all have a single objective anyway, whether in a team with mics or not. Also, wouldn't this make sense to force no XBL party chat too?

No, because Domination isn't just about capturing flags. It's about defending flags. Once you have two out of the three flags, the correct way to play is to defend those two flags and try to trap the opposing team in their lone flag. This is especially true in regular Domination, where a team of 6 cannot hope to hold three flags for very long. But a well-organized team of 6 can aim to hold two flags for an entire match and win 200-100ish. Giving bonuses just for capturing flags would break the natural flow of a Domination match.

LosDaddie

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
And maybe I'm just spoiled with great internet, but I roll with a wired connection to cable internet, with an open nat, and unless the host is utter crap, I rarely notice lag (the notable exceptions being face-to-face shotgun duels).

Same here. I rarely experience (noticeable) lag when I play MW2.

VaLiancY

Some dude went 66-1 in a Ground War game today. Every time he'd get an AC-130 and it would expire, a Pave Low would spawn and back to an AC-130 after that, the cycle would go on endlessly til the game ended.

divisionbyzorro said:
No, because Domination isn't just about capturing flags. It's about defending flags. Once you have two out of the three flags, the correct way to play is to defend those two flags and try to trap the opposing team in their lone flag. This is especially true in regular Domination, where a team of 6 cannot hope to hold three flags for very long. But a well-organized team of 6 can aim to hold two flags for an entire match and win 200-100ish. Giving bonuses just for capturing flags would break the natural flow of a Domination match.

You can't defend flags that you haven't got. And your examples are ones of a perfect winning team. Which you never see as it is now.

My point is that the team games in MW2 are not encouraging team play because of the kill streaks. Everyone wants to get a shit load of kills, regardless of playing FFA, TDM, CTF. Infact, game types like Domination are full of people who want to get higher streaks because of the longer time you get. The only real team game that I have played is S&D and it's not often that you will see a high kill streak with anyone.

Mully

kaizoku said:
damn.... er.... just don't talk to him anymore? don't invite him to your party, that way even if he joins your games he's not guaranteed to be on your team everytime.

1-35 just seems like a guy who isn't trying hard enough to be honest. thats ridiculous. suggests he is just running around carefree not giving a damn.

I give people shit when I happen to have my mic in and feel like they're not pulling their weight.

Lately I'll check if he's online and if he is I'll set my status to offline or something if he's on. But I am just too nice to cut him loose.

I have followed him around a couple of times and to be honest he just sucks. He fires wildly at an enemy and rarely aims down the sight. He had enough balls to even say "Damn what happened to you guys. Whenever I play with you guys you barely lose. What happened?" That was after he went 1-35 in TDM

Luckily for him my mic was unplugged and both of my friends forgot to bring their mics back to their dorms after break.

Got a nuke playing Domination last night......

We had A and B covered and were making them spawn at C. I jump up on the heli pad.

Pop 9 people in the face/body right off the bat....... (got the pavelow but didn't call it in) next thing I know i've got chopper gunner waiting on me.... get down. run to the back of A building and call it in.

manage to get to 21 kills inside of it.

call in my pavelow..... run back outside and get on the heli pad.

unlocked the nuke before the pavelow even made it to the scene.

then got to thinking about the challenge where you call in a nuke while loosing.

beg my team to back off of B and let them have it. they do.

let them think they were whooping our ass all the way up to 185. turned the key. listened to them cry.

:lol

Kujo

Nooooooooooooooooo

Was going for a Nuke on Skidrow, got up to the Chopper Gunner but it didn't give me enough kills as most of them were in buildings, still had 6 more to go. So I take it slow and get 2 kills, then I notice there's about 30 seconds till the game ends, so I rush in the main building - bam, bam, bam, bam - 25 kills, Tactical Nuke comes up. I press the Dpad to activate it, but the game ends just as I pressed it, and it doesn't register. I'ma go cry now..

VaLiancY said:
Some dude went 66-1 in a Ground War game today. Every time he'd get an AC-130 and it would expire, a Pave Low would spawn and back to an AC-130 after that, the cycle would go on endlessly til the game ended.

And why was no one shooting them down?

I can't believe the amount of people that play this game and don't keep a Cold Blooded/Stinger class.

divisionbyzorro said:
It certainly is a personal choice. But know that once you start prestiging, you're going to be tempted to keep doing it. I'm P1L67 right now, and I full intend on starting Round Two soon after hitting the cap again. I'll probably go for AK-47 mastery first, while I wait for my buddy to catch up, but when that happens, I'll take the plunge again, no questions asked.

Main reason not to prestige = No more cold blooded or stinger launcher...

VaLiancY

MidnightRider said:
And why was no one shooting them down?

I can't believe the amount of people that play this game and don't keep a Cold Blooded/Stinger class.

Ground War is full of idiots. People don't know a team can shut that shit down in the first few seconds.

Is it just me or do these maps cater to who ever holds a vital point of the map? Like the upstairs middle apartment in Skidrow, the house in Estate, the "clocktower" in Karachi next to the market. I really liked the flow of the CoD4 maps like Crash, Bog, Pipeline - Fuck, the list goes on. A lot of these maps in MW2 are hit or miss for me.

Jrmint

VaLiancY said:
I really liked the flow of the CoD4 maps like Crash, Bog, Pipeline - Fuck, the list goes on. A lot of these maps in MW2 are hit or miss for me.
Are you kidding? Bog is the worst map from both games combined, by a long shot. That map was horrendous.

But yea I know what you mean, there are lots of chokepoints that you can't overtake.

VaLiancY

Skel said:
Are you kidding? Bog is the worst map from both games combined, by a long shot. That map was horrendous.

But yea I know what you mean, there are lots of chokepoints that you can't overtake.

I loved Bog. Nothing but assault rifle fights for that trash heap on Domination.

Edit - Shipment is the worst map, btw.

MarkMclovin said:
You can't defend flags that you haven't got. And your examples are ones of a perfect winning team. Which you never see as it is now.

My point is that the team games in MW2 are not encouraging team play because of the kill streaks. Everyone wants to get a shit load of kills, regardless of playing FFA, TDM, CTF. Infact, game types like Domination are full of people who want to get higher streaks because of the longer time you get. The only real team game that I have played is S&D and it's not often that you will see a high kill streak with anyone.

The problem with what you suggest is that a team that is holding a 2-1 flag advantage would never receive bonuses. In fact, neither team would receive bonuses. And how often do you see 10+ flag captures in a single game of domination? Almost never!

I understand wanting to reward point capture; I certainly do. In fact, I wrote something about it a while back that half the internet took as real:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19084171&postcount=20146

The best part of this system is that a death for a good cause (i.e., dying during a successful flag capture) doesn't reset the streak, thus making a noble sacrifice a viable option.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
VaLiancY said:

what? how did he keep getting killstreaks without dying? once you get to your top killstreak it doesn't loop back round to the first one unless you die.

cheater?

when I rock cold blooded I have to be honest, I ignore the air support cos the air support ignores me. If anything I use that opportunity to venture to places the enemy doesn't expect me, they usually think they're safer when air support is around.

I don't tend to stick to one area too long so I don't feel like the battles fall to whoever holds the landmark at all. The other team can easily avoid that area.

its easy to get roped into the cycle of "oh I just got killed here so I'm gonna rush back there and get revenge". Happens a lot on wastelands cave, but you could spend the entire match nowhere near the cave and fighting it out by B or whatever as well. the battles are what you (and everyone else) make them.

i think Bog is the map which killed COD4 off for me once and for all. some guy just kept sniping me from some inaccessible area at the back of the map and he could almost get me no matter where I went and I couldn't snipe him back for shit. Horrendous. Worst FPS experience ever.

Jrmint

VaLiancY said:
Shipment is the worst map, btw.
Heh I loved Shipment on Domination, that was pure chaos, if you got a Helicopter in there it was a bloodbath :lol

Bloc was another one of my least favorite maps, hated that place.

VaLiancY

kaizoku said:
what? how did he keep getting killstreaks without dying? once you get to your top killstreak it doesn't loop back round to the first one unless you die.

cheater?

Oh, he was cheating hardcore. The instant the AC-130 died, the Pavelow would come in and if that Pavelow died another AC-130 would take its place. He had no Emergency Airdrop & Care package.

All of this cheating and glitches really makes me not want to touch this game for a long time.

Skel said:
Heh I loved Shipment on Domination, that was pure chaos, if you got a Helicopter in there it was a bloodbath :lol

Bloc was another one of my least favorite maps, hated that place

I only liked Bloc because I could sneak up behind snipers and garrote them.

I encountered a cheater the other day on the 360. He was outside the map on Derail. He kept calling in Harriers that couldn't be shot down. My rockets were going through it and 6-8 aug clips with stopping power pro couldn't take it down.

VaLiancY said:
Oh, he was cheating hardcore. The instant the AC-130 died, the Pavelow would come in and if that Pavelow died another AC-130 would take its place. He had no Emergency Airdrop & Care package.

Doubtful. I haven't heard of this before, and if it was viable, it would have been sniffed out early on in the game's lifespan. He probably just ran through his streaks twice; 66-1 with a Pave Low and AC-130 isn't unheard of.

Mully said:
So a few friends and I always play together whenever we're all on. A few weeks ago we were on a huge winning streak (44 games in a row) and we were paired up with this nice guy. He wasn't that great of a player, but he always contributed to the team in some way. (One game he captured 12 flags for us.)

He added me to his friends list and I had no problem with it. However I feel bad for the guy. He joined one of our games last night and he actually went 1-35. No offense to the guy, but we lost the game because of him (It was Team Deathmatch)

He joins our games a lot and usually does just as poor. I don't want to be a jerk and say do this or that. But I think it would be smart to maybe suggest another game for him because I really can't see how he's having fun.

Any thoughts?

I used to actually be that bad in CoD4. I would know, because I would get 0 kills in S&D after around 12 games (not rounds, full games). But nowadays I am much better, and part of it was that although I was not great, I was doing alot worse because of two big things:

- I was playing on a strict NAT type, leading to 1-2 seconds of lag

- I was playing on a TV that gave nice image quality, but had horrendous input lag and I was never able to get used to this input lag.

Once I fixed those things, I was regularly getting on average a K/D of 1.1, not great, but alot better than before.

So, my advice would be ask this guy if he is using a bad set-up. See if it helps. Otherwise, tell him to play story mode on hardened difficulty.

Jrmint

What is the general consensus on the MP5 in this game after its god-like status in CoD4? (I already know how good the UMP is)

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
General consensus is that UMP >>> MP5
Which, unfortunately for me, is just undeniable truth. I prefer how the MP5k looks and especially how it sounds, but the UMP just plain kills faster than any other SMG in all situations.

It really is kind-of boring that all my SMG classes have UMP on them and I never even bother with anything else. I try, then I notice that a P90 takes like twice as long to kill and I just go straight back. :/

VaLiancY

Skel said:
What is the general consensus on the MP5 in this game after its god-like status in CoD4? (I already know how good the UMP is)

Uzi and the P90 are pretty good. I can't fuck with the MP5k or the Vector though.

Skel said:
Really? First I heard of it. I used the P90 and the AK-74 all the time in that game and never bothered with the MP5. If anything, I'd say this MP5K is used even less.

Skel said:

Bloc was another one of my least favorite maps, hated that place.
Yes, headquarters on Shipment was AWESOME. We considered ourselves lucky if we could play that twice in one night. Not uncommon to see someone pound out over 50 kills there. Hilarious. Oh shoot, now I miss 3X frags.

Bloc was absolute garbage. I think they wanted to keep a real urban-looking map with Skidrow, and make it function like Bloc, and I think they did it without creating the boring piece-of-shit map that Bloc was.

Sealda

Banned
MarkMclovin said:

My team actually won a Domination by 200-0 in COD4. But i think the opposite team had fewer players than us when the match started.

Like Divisionbyzzorro said in many ways

Good tactics rewards a team in all of MW2s game modes.

You will capture HQs with well coordinated teams, you will not capture HQs with a bunch of idiots rushing and playing non-coordinated.

You will capture flags with good tactics. You will not capture flags just because you get a lot of points for doing it.

Of-course the amount of people actually trying to go for the objectives would be higher if you got team streaks for it. But a well co-ordinated team would own PUGs heavily. The only reason why PUGs members manage to not go 0.2 kdr every match as of today is because they are not going for the objectives with banzai-attacks.

Today clans and well-coordinated parties gets more kills than PUGs. But they really shine when it comes to objectives. Its impossible to win with a PUG in say Demolition or HQ if your meeting a good clan. The fact is that a lot of people are trying to go for the objectives even today. They will not sacrifice themselves in banzai attacks so much, which is good. They have their KDR to think about. If the reward system focused too much on objectives, players would rush and banzai attack the HQs, flags etc. (Because of lack of team-work) That is like a wet-dream for a well co-ordinated team. The game would get really boring for the average player who will die a lot and will not be able to capture flags/HQs because their team have no co-ordination. That would suck basically.

RubxQub said:
Is it bad that I quit a game if I see the match clock ticking down and the other team is loaded with the top players from the last game (meaning they are partied together) that I quit out and try a different game?
I will only play obvious party games if I have at least 3 of my friends in the room. Otherwise you're asking for a slaughter.

80% of my games played have been merc TDM. Too bad they can't spread the merc love around -- I would love to play some merc Demolition or HQ.

Jrmint

That is unfortunate about the MP5 since it holds such a good place in my memory from CoD4. I think I still may play around with it for a bit for old times sake, then go back to the UMP like you guys said.

Deucemojo - If you weren't using the MP5 in CoD4 you were flat out missing out. It was by far my favorite gun in that game, and probably top 2 or 3 in the game along with the M16 (as much I hated it and still do). It was the only gun I got red tiger on.

Sealda said:
You will capture HQs with well coordinated teams, you will not capture HQs with a bunch of idiots rushing and playing non-coordinated.
Speaking of HQ, can a little birdie tell IW to unbreak that mode and allow people to collect points for HQ captures after they're dead? I'm much more likely to cap some people while furiously defending the base if I know I'll keep getting paid after they take me out. This current rules change just makes me want to go camp a corner. Same reason I don't play S&D -- I'm not leveling up while I'm dead.

Skel said:
Deucemojo - If you weren't using the MP5 in CoD4 you were flat out missing out. It was by far my favorite gun in that game, and probably top 2 or 3 in the game along with the M16 (as much I hated it and still do). It was the only gun I got red tiger on.
Hmm. Well it's too bad they neutered it for MW2, 'cause that MP5K is about as useful as a Skorpion. It's true, the UMP reigns in the toughness category.

The M16 though, well, the only reason I would ever stop using that is... it's maxed out. :lol I still think it's the God gun in MW2.

CitizenCope said:
What are people's thoughts on non-prestigers?
In the COD4 lobbies I would catch some flak but playing nothing but games in a party with MW2 I miss all that fun.
I will never prestige. NEVER!!

I'm a 55 Gold Cross in COD4 and I'm not going to Prestige in MW2. I've been there and done that and now I just want to complete all my challenges.

wud

Neo Member
long range UMP >>>>>> MP5

short range MP5 >>>>>> UMP

in a close range situation the MP5's faster firerate and better hipfire accuracy (feels like it, could be placebo) wins out over the UMP

divisionbyzorro said:
The problem with what you suggest is that a team that is holding a 2-1 flag advantage would never receive bonuses. In fact, neither team would receive bonuses. And how often do you see 10+ flag captures in a single game of domination? Almost never!

But it's not just 10 flag captures, but flag defends as well, so if you hold 2 out of the 3, then you have a better chance to defend both flags and get a higher teamstreak.

You're taking the idea and applying it to the current gameplay, which is not what I meant.

kaizoku

DeuceMojo said:
Hmm. Well it's too bad they neutered it for MW2, 'cause that MP5K is about as useful as a Skorpion. It's true, the UMP reigns in the toughness category.

The M16 though, well, the only reason I would ever stop using that is... it's maxed out. :lol I still think it's the God gun in MW2.

what set up did you have for the M16?

I use it for my stealth class but I can't decide if that's more effective than using it with stopping power pro and no silencer!

Might use it on two classes, one cb pro and one sp pro!

DeuceMojo said:

Don't be hating on the Skorpion, I could own kids with that on vacant, it was my favorite gun, then IW was dumb and got rid of it.

DeuceMojo said:

The Famas is far superior to the m16. There's not a single thing the m16 has over it in mid or long range. Same rate of fire. Far more accurate and longer range/less damage drop off. The Famas makes the M16 of Cod4 seem fair. With super accurate guns that can hit from a mile away, the less damage drop-off the better.
The only slight advantage the m16 has over the famas is the holographic accuracy glitch and hip-fire...but if you're using either of these guns without aiming then you're doing it wrong. To me, I get lucky with hip fire with the famas or m16 about equally. I think the difference between the two with hipfire is either bogus or exaggerated.
The only time I use the m16 is when I play hardcore and I actually want a little more spray and don't need to hit an enemy more than with 1 bullet.

kaizoku

Mr. B Natural said:
The Famas is far superior to the m16. There's not a single thing the m16 has over it in mid or long range. Same rate of fire. Far more accurate and longer range/less damage drop off. The Famas makes the M16 of Cod4 seem fair. With super accurate guns that can hit from a mile away, the less damage drop-off the better.
The only slight advantage the m16 has over the famas is the holographic accuracy glitch and hip-fire...but if you're using either of these guns without aiming then you're doing it wrong. To me, I get lucky with hip fire with the famas or m16 about equally. I think the difference between the two with hipfire is either bogus or exaggerated.
The only time I use the m16 is when I play hardcore and I actually want a little more spray and don't need to hit an enemy more than with 1 bullet.
I'm not sure I agree, somethings off with the FAMAS for me, just doesn't click as well, feels lighter or looser and seems to shoot slower. I'm a lot less accurate with it and with these guns accuracy and aiming speed is king.

It seems really big as well, seems to take up more of the screen. maybe that's what throws me off.

There's no map where range becomes a problem for me with the M16, it takes 2 bursts with a silencer to kill from any range

NYR

wud said:
swap that chopper gunner for an AC130 and thats my setup for everything except S&D. Soon as you throw a chopper gunner up the other team thinks "oh shit hes getting a nuke" and focus on getting rid of it ASAP. 130's seem to get ignored
This is very true. In Ground War, 90% of the time Chopper Gunners usually get shot down within 15 seconds nowadays...

NYR said:
This is very true. In Ground War, 90% of the time Chopper Gunners usually get shot down within 15 seconds nowadays...

True, but even 15 seconds is enough to do serious damage. I got a nuke on GW-Dom on Skidrow yesterday because the other team only held A. The Apache pilot was kind enough to hover over the parking lot and I managed to take down their cold-blooded missile launcher multiple times just by aiming at the middle of the lot and spawn-killing him before he could get a lock on.

There are certain maps where you are totally boned if you only hold a single spawn point and the Apache comes out. Skidrow and Terminal immediately come to mind.

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm a 55 Gold Cross in COD4 and I'm not going to Prestige in MW2. I've been there and done that and now I just want to complete all my challenges.

You can't complete "all" the challenges without hitting the prestige button once.

In fact..... you can't complete "all" emblem challenges without going all the way to 10.

VaLiancY said:
Uzi and the P90 are pretty good. I can't fuck with the MP5k or the Vector though.

the Vector is pretty rape once you get the hang of it.

kaizoku said:
what set up did you have for the M16?

I use it for my stealth class but I can't decide if that's more effective than using it with stopping power pro and no silencer!
There's very few rifles I'll use w/o a sight, and the M16 is not one of them, so I guess I tend to use RDS/Holo, maybe stopping power too. I'm pretty addicted to stopping power. As far as silencers and stealth go, I've just never been able to be a true ninja -- I go loud about 99% of the time. I appreciate people's love for the FAMAS and maybe I'll try it, but I have exactly zero prestige kills with it.

So on this prestige I thought I'd build up the PP2000 or whatever the default machine pistol is, and I've arrived at this: it sucks. So does the TMP. Both have I think like three clips, but when you burn through one for each enemy, there's no staying power to those things.

I might get someone to convince me that the Raffica is where it's at 'cause it's accurate, but for pure fast close range killin', the G18 cannot be beat.

kaizoku said:
There's no map where range becomes a problem for me with the M16, it takes 2 bursts with a silencer to kill from any range
Yup!
I like calling out that I sniped a sniper with my M-16 to my teamates. Always gets a laugh.

Nelo Ice

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
True, but even 15 seconds is enough to do serious damage. I got a nuke on GW-Dom on Skidrow yesterday because the other team only held A. The Apache pilot was kind enough to hover over the parking lot and I managed to take down their cold-blooded missile launcher multiple times just by aiming at the middle of the lot and spawn-killing him before he could get a lock on.

There are certain maps where you are totally boned if you only hold a single spawn point and the Apache comes out. Skidrow and Terminal immediately come to mind.

highrise sucks when u only have one poin
also screw spawns in general since last night i swear 50% of my deaths came when the team would spawn right by me after i killed them
so many killcams where i see myself get a kill then the same guy spawns right by me and gets payback then i spawn on the other side of the map...

divisionbyzorro said:
True, but even 15 seconds is enough to do serious damage.

This is the HUGE advantage the AC-130 and Apache have over every aircraft (especially the AC): you can't bring them down quickly. Harriers: they might be dead before they fire their guns. Helos can be shot down right as they fly onto the map. AC-130s can't even be shot down by one person (OK maybe you'd take it down if you fired like 4 rockets at it?). Apaches will often kill someone before they can fire the second rocket.

I know damn well those little kids are pointing rockets at my chopper, and I know I'm gonna kill like 5 people before they touch it -- isn't that how it's supposed to be? Even if I get taken down quick, my teammates are busy icing all the guys looking at the sky.

Top Bottom