• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Pkm said:
Well, now the PS3 version has been sold along with Tony Hawk Skate so I could buy WKC.
Oddly I never ever sell games to GS, unless they are terrible or hold no replay value.
I thought MW2 was godly the first 2-3 weeks after release, but its been a downward slide into mediocrity and redundant gameplay based on gimmicks.
Ive never seen a game go from "OMG best game evah!!!" to every single person on my
PS3 friends list ditch it as well as 90% of my 360 buddies do the same.

I dont know happened exactly, I miss those first few weeks after launch when it seemed like thegreatest FPS to come along, now I actually dont even own it anymore. Everyone I work with or associate with that is a gamer and who I usually party up with has nothing but disgust for the game when only weeks ago it was praise.

Well I love FPS's thats for sure and thank god MAG came along when it did. Is there anyone who had the game from launch that still finds it enjoyable?

Someone should do a cheesy YTMND reading of this.

FromTheFuture said:
If he's the most helpful, I definitely should commentate. I'm sure he has all of the concepts down, but watching him, I honestly don't feel like he's close to top tier. Also in reference to one video, TAR-21, Stopping Power and flanking is not 'rushing.' That's how you normally play the goddamn game. Sorry, try not to get flattered with some 0.24 ratio kid calling your style 'a game of chess.' Ugh.

I just watched some videos.
I think Wor's mentality towards this game is pretty spot on. His execution at times isn't perfect especially when he runs away from danger he always seems to run around the front and expose himself, but it seems the people he's playing against are so bad that it doesn't really matter. He's playing on ps3, i heard there's a difference. I'm a 360 guy so I'm not going to assume anything other than the people that he plays against in these videos aren't good.

The same goes for that Blame Truth guy. Watched a video of him playing rundown at level 20 and he pretty much summed up how to do good in the game that quickly. He pretty much sums up WOR's barking in 30 seconds.

Ok, I found the video again - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjqgOtlJs_U&feature=fvsr

There's some naivety in it because it was made back when a lot of things weren't discovered but the truths are still there.

whitehawk

Banned
So if I prestige, do my headshot count etc for guns stay there?

I want to get the fall skin for some guns. And I've been lvl 70 for quite a while now, it's time to prestige.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
whitehawk said:
So if I prestige, do my headshot count etc for guns stay there?

I want to get the fall skin for some guns. And I've been lvl 70 for quite a while now, it's time to prestige.
Nope. You will lose all gun progress. But when you prestige you get some new challenges that will not reset between prestige. Weapon unlocks will always get reset though.

whitehawk

Banned
That is.. Retarded.. Fine, take my guns away, but that means I lose progress for 3 months of play time >_>

What if I unlock Fall first? Do I get to keep that?

Ugh.. Should I prestige?

whitehawk

Banned
So if I prestige now, then get Fall, I get to keep it for the other 9 prestiges?

I guess I might as well do it now. If I'm gonna prestige, I might as well do it now and get it over with.

whitehawk said:
That is.. Retarded.. Fine, take my guns away, but that means I lose progress for 3 months of play time >_>

What if I unlock Fall first? Do I get to keep that?

Ugh.. Should I prestige?

Actually, you get new weapon prestiges challenges that dont reset, but the camo ones do. Not prestiging because of a weapon skin is kind of a silly reason not to. Not only will you continue to prestige faster since you have a ton more challenges added to your list, you'll also be unlocking more titles and emblems at the same time. You'll also be unlocking extra custom slots and if you like to experiment with lots of loadouts, that is a good reason to prestige.

I've said it a billion times in here, I personally prestige because the game gets boring for me if I stay at the same level. Titles and emblems do not reset btw.

whitehawk

Banned
Alright, gonna take the plunge right now...

Luckily I've been using the Scar recently, so I should be able to use that gun soon :)

edit: totally forgot you dont get killstreaks till lvl 10..

Mileena

Banned
whitehawk said:
So if I prestige now, then get Fall, I get to keep it for the other 9 prestiges?

I guess I might as well do it now. If I'm gonna prestige, I might as well do it now and get it over with.
nope

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
whitehawk said:

this was my thinking as well.

everytime you play you're racking up loads of XP and if you're maxed out, all those 10,000 XP challenges are gonna count for nothing.

I was also at the stage where I had almost completed all challenges on my favourite guns and I had really enjoyed experimenting with a few un-used guns like TAR, AUG and FAMAS, but if I was gonna start leveling those guns from scratch after I'd maxed out, I might as well do them in prestige mode where all those extra points would count towards something.

Not prestiging felt like a massive waste, especially if I decide to prestige later, all the time and effort gone into doing those challenges after I'd maxed out = gone.

But not sure if I will prestige a second time. most likely not. I'm playing this game daily right now so I figured I would make those hours count towards something, but in another 80 hours of play time I might feel differently.

Glad I've unlocked all the challenges now though, help me level up faster and gives me more things to finish off if I decide to not prestige.

Holy Christ I knew GameInformer were Call of Duty fanboys but jesus Christ at this article...
GameInformer said:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has already made Activision one billion dollars in the three months it has been out. With the game’s undeniable success in mind, another entry in the series is inevitable. We’re frothing at the mouth for the next iteration, and we’ve already got a laundry list of improvements we want for the already stellar Modern Warfare series. Here's what we want for Modern Warfare 3, whenever it's announced.

Wouldn’t it be cool if Modern Warfare 3 had…

A More Focused Story

Modern Warfare 2’s story was an epic affair that sprawled multiple global locations, characters, set pieces, and story twists. Each moment of the game’s narrative brought something new to digest and kept you wondering what was going to happen next. While this isn’t inherently a bad thing, we’d like to see the scope of Modern Warfare 3’s story focused on a smaller collection of characters fighting bad guys amidst a smaller-than-global battlefield. Modern Warfare 2’s narrative was confusing and overwhelming at times, and we’re interested in a more personal, relatable narrative that better motivates us to fight until the end credits. No more forced twists and fewer main characters kicking the bucket would be a great start.

Perks In Single-Player

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare revolutionized the way we play FPS multiplayer, with its innovative leveling and perks system. Pure entertainment and replay value for Modern Warfare 3’s single-player and Spec Ops modes would infinitely increase if we could unlock weapon upgrades, customize weapons, and assign perks that allow us to highlight our strengths and compensate for our weaknesses. Along with these improvements there could be cross-pollination between unlocks in online and offline modes. For example, completing the single-player campaign on veteran mode or completing unlocking an achievement/trophy could net you an exclusive weapon in multiplayer. Perhaps reaching a certain level in multiplayer could unlock a new level in single-player. This just might be what it takes to encourage gamers to sink their teeth into modes they might otherwise neglect.

More Vehicles

Previous Call of Duties had tanks. Modern Warfare 2 had snowmobiles. We demand even more vehicular action in Modern Warfare 3. We want to actually fly a helicopter this time around and paint entire enemy bases with missiles. Nothing would be better than actually controlling a tank as it crashes through puny cars and feeble buildings. Expanded vehicular gameplay could easily bleed over into multiplayer without it necessarily becoming a Battlefield game. Certain maps could be dedicated to tanks or helicopter skirmishes, giving old fashioned players the option to avoid vehicles. Wouldn’t you love to manually pilot your next killstreak helicopter or drop care packages to your buddies?

Full Co-Op Mode

Make no mistake, we think Modern Warfare’s Spec Ops mode is phenomenal. However, we really want to experience the narrative of Modern Warfare 3 with a buddy in tow. So many jaw-dropping moments from Modern Warfare 2’s Spec Ops would have been made more enthralling if experienced within the context of the game’s story. Imagine one of Modern Warfare’s trademark twists forcing your friend to pull their gun on you in an act of treachery or have you helplessly watch them get tortured to death by terrorists. Co-op is more important in a game than having it be a separate gameplay mode, and Modern Warfare 3 shouldn’t settle with Spec Ops. It’s high time to combine the full campaign cooperative mode that was in Call of Duty 3 with Modern Warfare. If all this is asking too much, at least give us leader boards for Spec Ops.

Multiplayer Tweaks

Modern Warfare 2 has some of the most perfected and popular multiplayer gameplay available. However, we can think of a few little improvements that could make it even better:

* Bring back party chat. Don’t force us to meticulously enter a menu and mute players we don’t care to hear from. Just let us talk with our friends. This isn’t “make a new friend day” in kindergarten. This is war.

* Offer lifetime stats. We want to see how many times our enemy has pulled off that “lucky” knife kill they just performed on us. We want to know how many flag captures we’ve gotten, and how many schmucks we’ve wasted with random grenades. Gamers like stats, give us more to chew on than a kill/death ratio.

* Revamp prestige mode. Prestige mode is a unique cool concept, but it would be even better if there was more incentive to wipe the slate clean. When acquiring your weapons and gear for the umpteenth time, why not offer cosmetic changes that distinguish you from non-prestiged players. Additionally, don’t wipe all of our challenges, simply raise the number of kills needed with a particular gun or create harder tasks to complete.

* Ditch dual wielding. The action of Modern Warfare is frenzied enough without having to worry about double trouble shotguns and machine guns. For a series that prides itself in an authentic battlefield experience a pistol in each hand is enough. What’s next, plasma swords?

* Implement mobile fortifications. Modern Warfare 2 incorporated mounted turrets into the game, so why not offer plays the option of laying down defensive sandbags in the same way? Digging our heels in to a single defensive location opens the doors for new multiplayer modes and a shift in the way the battlefield is navigated. For those who fear this might encourage campers, remember to bring your grenades.

* Integrate an online hub. Taking a page from Halo, Modern Warfare 3 could incorporate a website with replays of memorable matches, expanded player stats, and tournament organization.
http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/01/14/feature-Modern-Warfare-3-Wish-List.aspx

I know some of you may disagree, but the parts I bolded are so far off from reality it's not even funny. Epic Story? Really? Really?
:lol :lol :lol

Their single player comments are a little silly, but their multiplayer comments are spot on. Like it or not, CoD4 did revolutionize the way online shooters were played. And while MW2's multiplayer isn't perfect, it's certainly the most popular shooter out there and likely will be for a very long time.

xtheEnemy

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
Their single player comments are a little silly, but their multiplayer comments are spot on. Like it or not, CoD4 did revolutionize the way online shooters were played. And while MW2's multiplayer isn't perfect, it's certainly the most popular shooter out there and likely will be for a very long time.

Modern Warfare 2 has some of the most perfected and popular multiplayer gameplay available.

how is this spot on? :D

Lionheart1827 said:
What does epic mean to you? What would be a game IYO that has an epic story? I bet somebody will disagree with you.
It has to be told well, where it doesn't make you say "WTF", or you have no clue what's going, makes you care about the characters, and basically keeps you on the edge of your seat where you genuinely don't know what's going to happen next.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Modern Warfare 2’s story was an epic affair that sprawled multiple global locations, characters, set pieces, and story twists. Each moment of the game’s narrative brought something new to digest and kept you wondering what was going to happen next.

Sounds about right.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare revolutionized the way we play FPS multiplayer, with its innovative leveling and perks system.

Sounds about right.

Modern Warfare 2 has some of the most perfected and popular multiplayer gameplay available.

Sounds about right.

TacticalFox88 said:
but the parts I bolded are so far off from reality it's not even funny.

Nah.

aku:jiki

I started using and fell in love with the FAL, and that thing is crazy! Had Stopping Power on it first but noticed that you really don't need it - at least I end up "spraying" 4-5 bullets to make sure I get the kill and that's enough to kill him anyway - so I put Hardline on there instead. Totally forgot how fun that one is, as I haven't used it for like 3 prestiges now. Predators all over the place! :lol

TacticalFox88 said:
It has to be told well, where it doesn't make you say "WTF", or you have no clue what's going, makes you care about the characters, and basically keeps you on the edge of your seat where you genuinely don't know what's going to happen next.
They're not using the internet lingo version of "epic" in the article...

Cerrius said:
Sounds about right.
You think the multiplayer is "perfected?"

I do not understand this joke.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So does a "IW" tag mean that player works for Infinity Ward? I played with some guy who had it, but then again his clan tag was a penis 8==D so he probably wasn't.

kuYuri

Snuggler said:
So does a "IW" tag mean that player works for Infinity Ward? I played with some guy who had it, but then again his clan tag was a penis 8==D so he probably wasn't.

It's just a normal emblem you unlock.

Strider2K99 said:

Meh, Its most likely my fault. I think I might have burnt myself out and ruined the game.
I did put alot of hours in, 4th prestige, 99% of the titles and emblems, as well as ranking in the top 30k for PS3 in score and kills (which isnt great but still shows I might have played "TOO MUCH")

I guess the game was amazing when people didnt restrict them selves to 2-3 builds and you didnt know where the enemy was or where the battle would take place.
Now you can dictate when the map loads whats gonna happen and what classes you'll most likely encounter. Sadly to objective based games have become laughable excuses to have extended TDM matches and Harcore mode has been reduced to a snails pace.

For instance you almost 100% know maps like rust, terminal, scrapyard and highrise will consist of a massive amount of tubing and will be grinders. Maps like Derail, Sub Base, and Skid Row will consist of firefights in the same general area (Hallways, Warehouse, and of course back of SB)

While I will say the mechanics of the game are/were amazing I just think compared to games FPS's Ive sunk 500+ hours into (BF2/1942, CoD4, etc..) MW2 just doesnt have legs for me.
I almost feel like as oppsed to focusing on being an FPS its more focused on the cool parts of FPS's (Knifing, Shotguns, etc..) and exploiting them, thus after extended play the player grows past it and says "Ok, now I wanna play an FPS."

Maybe I over did it, maybe if I was on the verge of my second prestige and limited my self to not playing mutiple hours EVERY day I wouldnt notice MW2 abundance of faults and shallow gameplay.
I will give a nod to Co-Op tho, was incredibly fun!
SP was ludacris and just a series of vinets(sp?)/Scenes tired together with a unplausible story. Just like the MP the SP was expecting me to have a "Whoa dude that was cool Brah!"
type of response, which I just dont have in me for anything.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Pkm said:
Well I love FPS's thats for sure and thank god MAG came along when it did. Is there anyone who had the game from launch that still finds it enjoyable?

I DO!

I started playing it online like 3 hours ago, level 3 hahahahah! I'm such a noob

jedimike

Any news on the status of the 360 patch? Care package glitch is way out of hand now... my gameplay has slowed down a lot and last night was terrible. I was either staring at the sky to knock out aircraft, getting stabbed by care package runners, or getting noob tubed spammed. I can deal with the third if I wasn't distracted by the first two.

Let's get this patch on XBL already IW/MS.

aku:jiki

Procarbine said:
The MOST perfected, quoting things out of context makes you look silly.
Why would I care about that word? It makes no grammatical sense and is terrible writing - something can't be partially or gradually perfected. There is no varying degree to the concept of perfect. An object or concept is either perfect or flawed.

And no part of the MW2 MP is perfect by any stretch of the imagination or opinion.

xtheEnemy

Banned
Snuggler said:

nah, it's just an emblem.

IW embelm - Get 3 killstreak rewards within 20secs.

DRE Fei

whitehawk said:
I'm glad I prestiged. Sucks for now, but I'm already at lvl 6. I'll get back to 70 fairly soon.
Man, prestiging is the best. I prestiged on sunday and I already hit lvl 35 from nothing but ground war. You're probably better than me, so you might even do it faster. It's really easy. Having those extra class slots really changes how you can approach different maps on the fly, especially now that I have 3 extra ones.

Also predator -> harrier -> pavelow is really great.

Accident

jedimike said:
Any news on the status of the 360 patch? Care package glitch is way out of hand now... my gameplay has slowed down a lot and last night was terrible. I was either staring at the sky to knock out aircraft, getting stabbed by care package runners, or getting noob tubed spammed. I can deal with the third if I wasn't distracted by the first two.

Let's get this patch on XBL already IW/MS.

They pulled out the patch from MS certification after they found out it didn't do shit to stop the care packgage glitch. IW is still working in a new patch.

th3dude

Question: Does prestiging once open up the rest of the challenges? I'd like to prestige once and max out all of the challenges rather than keep prestiging.

xtheEnemy

Banned
Do Cobras (Attack Helicopter) have flares ? cause I took down 2 of them last night on a single shot of Stinger on different games. If no, then how can it compete with Harriers since Harriers have a bombing attack while cobras are like weak-pavelows.

whitehawk

Banned
DRE Fei said:
Man, prestiging is the best. I prestiged on sunday and I already hit lvl 35 from nothing but ground war. You're probably better than me, so you might even do it faster. It's really easy. Having those extra class slots really changes how you can approach different maps on the fly, especially now that I have 3 extra ones.

Also predator -> harrier -> pavelow is really great.
Yup, I'm using predator > Harrier > Pavelow myself.

I have a KS of 1.07, but that's partially due to my noobage for the first month. (never played cod4). Whats your KD ratio?

Past games I've been going around 32 - 10. Had I game recently where I went 40 and 14 :)

DRE Fei

whitehawk said:

I have a KS of 1.07, but that's partially due to my noobage for the first month. (never played cod4). Whats your KD ratio?

Past games I've been going around 32 - 10. Had I game recently where I went 40 and 14 :)
Mine is 1.7 or so, but it took me a while to get some good killstreaks going because there are so many random places to get killed from. I played a decent amount of cod4, but I've been playing mw2 a lot more because of the extra bonuses. Ground war is sort of a mixed bag. Sometimes I get 40 kills and sometimes I get 15 if I don't feel like running around. It's such a different mode from regular TDM I can't play anything else anymore because the leveling up happens so fast.

kuYuri

xtheEnemy said:
Do Cobras (Attack Helicopter) have flares ? cause I took down 2 of them last night on a single shot of Stinger on different games. If no, then how can it compete with Harriers since Harriers have a bombing attack while cobras are like weak-pavelows.

Attack Helicopter has no flares.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
whitehawk said:

1.39, and I'm having trouble moving it up mostly because I like playing objective games. Sure, you used to be able to post nice scores in Ground War, but with all the care package glitching, boosting, and other such nonsense I find myself dedicated to stopping them and making their lives as hard as possible. Marathon and Cold Blooded, shooting them every chance I get.

I can still post good ratios if I play conservatively, but I like to change up my play very often.

But, same as you, I never played CoD4 and didn't use strong killstreak combinations for a very long time, resulting in nasty scores for most of my first 1-70. We're talking UAV-Care Package-Emergency Air Drop, I was nowhere near good enough at the time to pull it off.

Donos

How is the matchmaking on the PC version ? i'm considering buying MW2 for multiplayer.
If i import a UK/US version (i live in germany) , will the matchmaking search games/players based on my region or based on the version i bought ? Thanks for the info.

Tural

Neo Member
sn1pes said:
Question: Does prestiging once open up the rest of the challenges? I'd like to prestige once and max out all of the challenges rather than keep prestiging.
All challenges will be available upon entering the First Prestige, yes.

Accident said:
They pulled out the patch from MS certification after they found out it didn't do shit to stop the care packgage glitch. IW is still working in a new patch.
To validate this claim:
Q: Has the Patch 1.08 for Xbox 360 been pulled back? I'm checking everyday and there is still no update :( No ETA still?
A: Yes, it's currently in production getting an additional fix added to it. I'll update you when you can expect to see it.
http://twitter.com/fourzerotwo/status/8598799415

tsigo

Literally every game I joined tonight with a friend (5 different games, on the 360) had at least one infinite care package. I hadn't seen it at all before tonight. So ridiculous.

xtheEnemy

Banned
foomfoom415 said:
So I guess this bullshit isn't patched yet then? Had some dipshit in there kill me 20-odd kills into what was to be my first nuke.

I fucking HATE wasteland.

PS3 version for what it's worth.

err.. too bad for you man. I f'ing hate wasteland too, though I got 2 nukes on that map, I still hate it. It's too big.

Almost got a nuke there last night, was using my OMA build, then an enemy called in a harrier then AC130, so I got no choice but to switch to my CB+Stinger class. took out his AC130. Managed to get my Chopper gunner, my f'ing CG keep flying to the other side of the map where miles away from the enemies. only killed 7, got to 22, then I ran out of bullets, then eventually got killed when I tried to knife someone. fuck Wasteland.

Top Bottom