• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Some asshole was glitching in the rock on afghan. I got mad, killed him, then nuked his team:lol

The air support in this game is really overboard. It's a fun arcade shooter, but you don't have to be great to rack up absurd amounts of kills by doing nothing.

lawlohwhat said:
Some asshole was glitching in the rock on afghan. I got mad, killed him, then nuked his team:lol

The air support in this game is really overboard. It's a fun arcade shooter, but you don't have to be great to rack up absurd amounts of kills by doing nothing.
It would have been nice if things like kill streaks were limited to radar, scramblers and the lower tier of extras and air support, with the bigger bad boys being bonuses for base/flag captures or something else goal related in game modes, IMO that would stop farmers and a whole lot of bullshit going on.

lawlohwhat said:

Meh; it is by no means the first game to do this. My main strategy in BF1943 was to hold the flag with the bombing run, defend the airstrike bunker, and spam the airstrike constantly. Free kills! W@W was the same way; many of the top players in that game had "dog bite" as one of their top weapons. And I spent some time the other day watching the BC2 demo on a stream, and a dude spent the entire time controlling a Predator drone and calling in airstrikes.

We ain't playing Quake anymore, folks. Shooters don't just have guns anymore.

Sealda

Banned
NYR said:
In Hutch's defence, there is a reason for the tone. WOR called him out which started this whole thing. He called him "nooby", which he hardly is. WOR's entire argument was that the sniper rifle weighs 20 pounds and a real sniper wouldn't be running around quick scoping. NO SHIT! It's a game!! He's just jealous at the attention Hutch gets.

Hutch was a man to bring him on his channel and let them have a friendly debate. Hutch proved how much class he had by letting him speak his mind to his face and not just go back and forth like WOR was. You shouldn't have expected him to lay down and let him talk shit and still be nice. He did something I wouldn't do, and that was let him come on his channel, explain his point of view, and have a good debate. And don't get me started on that ebonics crap, either - he had it coming.

Okay, maybe Hutch is less of a douche. And the whole thing using the sniper like IRL is ridiculous. But WOR has a point also.
BTW he seems to have weapons IRL and be interested in the whole military thing so i can see why he tries to use the weapons like they are supposed to IRL. Also he has said that he does not like MW2 and that he is waiting for BF: BC2.

NYR said:
BTW, in his latest video on Favela, WOR calls anyone with a KDR of 2.00 and under a scrub, and that anyone over a 4 is a cheater. If that's the case, EVERYONE on this thread is a scrub according to his standards, as getting a KDR over 2 is really hard. Further, he targeted the Optics Nation crew - he just comes off sounding douchy and jealous about how much attention Hutch and the other guys get.

Stick to Tejbz, SeaNanners, Blame Truth, PainCakes and SandyRavage if you want to learn and be entertained, IMO.

Well i would say if you have 1.7 and under you are not a good player unless you are effin up your KDR by on purpose playing with very stupid kits for the sake of it. That does not mean you are rubbish but you are not good on a scale bad, average, good. And yes if you have 4.0 kdr, i think you have to cheat or doing something like "dash boarding" etc.

Well he does not like Optic Nation because they get fame for doing montages that he feels anyone with a recorder can do. Montages means nothing skillz wise. I can quick scope and have done some absolutely crazy kills with it, but still you will never get a constant good KDR with it. And i think WOR said that those guys have like 1.5 kdr or something. Quick scoping is satisfying and awesome but its risky, unforgiven and unpredictable.

TBH, I don't give a shit what these guys think about my skills, or who is better, or what they think about how I play, or any of that. It's just a damn video game. I like playing it, and I do so a lot. I don't care how good I am compared to the elite. That'd be like Peyton Manning dissing my YMCA flag football team quarterback for having a low passer rating. No shit, Sherlock - now get off your high horse and pull your head out of your ass. Making videos showing off your skills online doesn't make you a big deal all of a sudden.

I do appreciate the strategies he gives; I really do. But it's just a damn game. At risk of sounding cliche, get a life.

Sealda

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
TBH, I don't give a shit what these guys think about my skills, or who is better, or what they think about how I play, or any of that. It's just a damn video game. I like playing it, and I do so a lot. I don't care how good I am compared to the elite. That'd be like Peyton Manning dissing my YMCA flag football team quarterback for having a low passer rating. No shit, Sherlock - now get off your high horse and pull your head out of your ass. Making videos showing off your skills online doesn't make you a big deal all of a sudden.

I do appreciate the strategies he gives; I really do. But it's just a damn game. At risk of sounding cliche, get a life.

Of course its just a video game, of course everybody knows that. Of course everybody knows that this does not mean shit. Wings Of Redemption who is a big fan of Carl Sagan even talked about that in one of his videos where he was doing a dual commentary with Woodysgamertag.

Sometimes people like to play a bit more serious, its like you are playing fotboll with your buddies and you start to make up tactics etc. Then some idiot comes and say "Hey, its just a freaking fotboll game, come on! You are chasing a ball, are you stupid why do you take this silly thing seriously. Lets just play for fun!"

You are playing this game with everybody else, the "elite" etc. Its like your YMCA flag fotboll team is playing in the NFL. Of-course everybody will call you losers etc. It would be a different thing if all the non-serious players (those who say that as soon as you starts comparing different players or putting up tactics you are taking it too serious!) played in their own bracket and those you call elite played in a different.

EDIT: Let me also tell you this. These people on high horses are not playing the game so much more serious than those who do not play it serious. Its not like you could start "playing seriously" all of sudden. I mean, "elite" and "noobs" probably plays the game equally much. Its not as if i am sitting and plays this game 10 hours a day, i play it 3-4 hours a day, sometimes only 1 hour. I have people on my friend list who seems to always be online and still have like 0.79 kdr. Its not like they have chosen not to play the game less serious than i am. Its just that they suck at the game and i do not. Its not that much you can do in MW2 more than to play the game. Its not like you can actually take that much advantage from "studying MW2 theory every day" . In the end it comes down to basic FPS 101. Good aim, good movement and reflexes that is something you can´t get from following youtube videos. In the end that is what matters, not if you know a camping spot in Afghan or something. Sure you might get 1 or 2 extra kills per match from using a good claymore spot but in the end it will come down to player vs. player trying to aim at the other guys head and be the first to hit it.

CozMick

Banned
I put having a good kill death ratio in categories.

.1 Playing Domination/Headquarters "the wrong way"
.2 Being a Care Package scrub
.3 Tactical Insertion boosting
.4 Actually being good at the game

This IS the be all and end all of Modern Warfare 2 kd/r's

CozMick said:
I put having a good kill death ratio in categories.

.1 Playing Domination/Headquarters "the wrong way"
.2 Being a Care Package scrub
.3 Tactical Insertion boosting
.4 Actually being good at the game

This IS the be all and end all of Modern Warfare 2 kd/r's

riiiiight

uraldix

Sealda said:
EDIT: Its not like they have chosen not to play the game less serious than i am. Its just that they suck at the game and i do not. Its not that much you can do in MW2 more than to play the game. Its not like you can actually take that much advantage from "studying MW2 theory every day" . In the end it comes down to basic FPS 101.

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. Many players with low K/D ratios just like playing a style that will not result high ratio. I am at about 1.2 K/D but I can easily go 3-1,4-1 or 5-1 simply by playing a slower more defensive style. Skill plays a major part but learning some theory and changing styles can easily turn a 1-1 person into a 2-1 person (especially in this game).

It is just more fun for me run around like a madman with an UMP and sport a 1.2 K/D than it is to move slowly around the choke points and use high powered killstreaks.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I don't quite believe it.... I was just called a "filthy faggot cheater" for OMA noobtubing an unlimited care package glitcher.

aku:jiki

i_am_ben said:
I don't quite believe it.... I was just called a "filthy faggot cheater" for OMA noobtubing an unlimited care package glitcher.
I had a level 13 do the CP glitch for one whole match whole match of Demolition. Then they got one of the sites and I camped down to the defend the other one at all costs and I managed to get my 5-7-9 three times while doing so. The dude who was CP glitching started sending me messages accusing me of doing it, I just pointed out that we can tell when he's doing it too and that not everybody bought the game yesterday because he did. He didn't respond. :lol

Meier

xtheEnemy said:
Do Cobras (Attack Helicopter) have flares ? cause I took down 2 of them last night on a single shot of Stinger on different games. If no, then how can it compete with Harriers since Harriers have a bombing attack while cobras are like weak-pavelows.
They can't compete.. probably need a bit of a boost. If you have a Stinger, you can take them down before they even get a shot off.

Meier said:
They can't compete.. probably need a bit of a boost. If you have a Stinger, you can take them down before they even get a shot off.

Agreed. I would start by just making them do everything that they do now, but have them do it all faster. They should fly in faster, move faster, acquire targets faster, and shoot targets down faster. Yes, they can still be shot down immediately, but so can Harriers. And yes, Harriers have an airstrike, but if you're using the Harriers just for the airstrike, you're doing it wrong - there's a better airstrike that easier to earn.

lionelhutz

NYR said:
Yeah, pretty much.

Blame Truth is urging everyone to play COD4 this weekend to send IW a message.

Boy, that'll show them. Buy their game and don't play it. I'm sure IW will have trouble sleeping this weekend.

LosDaddie

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:

I feel the same. I'm just playing to have a good time. Don't really care for stats

NYR said:
Yeah, pretty much.

Blame Truth is urging everyone to play COD4 this weekend to send IW a message.
Good luck with that. Some archaeologists have started a dig in my basement to find and restore my copy of COD4.

lionelhutz said:
Boy, that'll show them. Buy their game and don't play it. I'm sure IW will have trouble sleeping this weekend.

IW isn't the issue.

Activision needs to be shown that we won't buy their DLC if they don't focus on fixing the glitches first. Remember that good ol' Bobby Kotick writes the checks. I'm going to bet that IW is being pressured to focus on DLC first, free updates second.

Sealda said:
Its not like you can actually take that much advantage from "studying MW2 theory every day" . In the end it comes down to basic FPS 101. Good aim, good movement and reflexes that is something you can´t get from following youtube videos. In the end that is what matters, not if you know a camping spot in Afghan or something. Sure you might get 1 or 2 extra kills per match from using a good claymore spot but in the end it will come down to player vs. player trying to aim at the other guys head and be the first to hit it.

I beg to differ. I would say understanding the map, knowing when to camp and when to rush, using the environment to your advantage (i.e. shooting from cover), are all just as important, if not more important, to getting kills in mw2, than pure shooting and aiming (unless you're playing against noobs). Understanding weapons, perks, and killstreak loadouts is also very important, although less critical, to getting kills.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Any word on when a patch is coming for the 360? I assume it's in cert right now, but I want this bitch released!

Took a big break from this game to play ME2 while they got this shit sorted and I see it's still not addressed. Kind of embarrassing.

So I just got an Afterlifed triple kill and I have no idea why! The kill icon was a skull too so that didn't help. I guess they must've walked into my claymore which happened to be situated by a bunch of barrels that also exploded? Really wish I could've seen their killcam! :lol

equiprimordial said:
I beg to differ. I would say understanding the map, knowing when to camp and when to rush, using the environment to your advantage (i.e. shooting from cover), are all just as important, if not more important, to getting kills in mw2, than pure shooting and aiming (unless you're playing against noobs). Understanding weapons, perks, and killstreak loadouts is also very important, although less critical, to getting kills.
Yeah... If the game was played like Sealda says, it would be beautiful. But all the noobtubes around corners, camping with heartbeats, 1887-runners and so forth, it's not so much about who aims better anymore...

aku:jiki said:
So I just got an Afterlifed triple kill and I have no idea why! The kill icon was a skull too so that didn't help. I guess they must've walked into my claymore which happened to be situated by a bunch of barrels that also exploded? Really wish I could've seen their killcam! :lol
Happens all the time to me. Usually, not always, a burning car (that you set alight) or fuel tank burst, raining fiery death on a few fools. :lol
Yeah... If the game was played like Sealda says, it would be beautiful. But all the noobtubes around corners, camping with heartbeats, 1887-runners and so forth, it's not so much about who aims better anymore...
I so rarely run into a camping room. Occasionally I'll find a merc team deathmatch where guys are taking up posts and camping corners, windows, whatever, but so often it's played how I think it should be (people running around, firing, stabbing, dying, no huge strategy involved).

todahawk

FromTheFuture said:
Maybe I should start doing some YouTube MW2 videos. I'm pretty good at the game. Wonder if anyone would watch me.

I would!

I need to stop working and get back to MW2... bought but haven't even played Mass Effect 2 yet.

DeuceMojo said:
I so rarely run into a camping room. Occasionally I'll find a merc team deathmatch where guys are taking up posts and camping corners, windows, whatever, but so often it's played how I think it should be (people running around, firing, stabbing, dying, no huge strategy involved).
Yeah, I admit... Camping has kind of gone away. I get a little shocked when some guy is shamelessly corner camping now, like I'll put the controller down and shout "Really, dude? REALLY?!" :lol

This lack of camping is really fucking my knife game up too. Used to be so, so easy to run in and grab 5 kills in the spawn on Highrise, on the upper floor by A on Rundown, 10 kills in the corridor on Skidrow and so on... Now everybody spreads out and makes it hard. :(

Meier said:

Yeah I was only going to use cobras/attack helicopter for the OG title but they will put a hurt on if no one bothers to shoot it down. Nice change of pace from the harrier too.

Yeah, I admit... Camping has kind of gone away. I get a little shocked when some guy is shamelessly corner camping now, like I'll put the controller down and shout "Really, dude? REALLY?!" :lol

This lack of camping is really fucking my knife game up too. Used to be so, so easy to run in and grab 5 kills in the spawn on Highrise, on the upper floor by A on Rundown, 10 kills in the corridor on Skidrow and so on... Now everybody spreads out and makes it hard. :(

Oh, it's not completely gone, but I would agree that it's not quite as bad as it used to be. I think knife runners have helped TBH.

LosDaddie

Banned
DeuceMojo said:
Word up. Aside from comparing with your friends... ummm, who cares?

ogre1.jpg

divisionbyzorro said:
Oh, it's not completely gone, but I would agree that it's not quite as bad as it used to be. I think knife runners have helped TBH.
Yup, and I think the CP glitch is actually adding to it too. Takes too long to get your first CP to abuse for 10 more minutes if you try to hard-camp for it, plus if people aren't trying for nukes or at least AC's, they get out there and play more aggressive for those 4 kills.

Makes it look really pathetic when some guy has been trying the whole match and finally gets a care package when the score is 180/160 or something. :lol

It amazes me sometimes how a team can sometimes never attempt to take out air support. I got 3 EMPs last night all thanks to 8 kills from my harrier. The easiest thing other than a UAV to take down and nobody shot my my harriers down. All I hear is "BZZTT" kill "BZZZT" kill and it just kept on going.:lol

DeuceMojo said:
Occasionally I'll find a merc team deathmatch where guys are taking up posts and camping corners, windows, whatever, but so often it's played how I think it should be (people running around, firing, stabbing, dying, no huge strategy involved).
I prefer games that involve a huge strategy, which is why I like MW2. Games with deep gameplay are more interesting (I actually find depth in MW2's gameplay :lol as crazy as that might sound to some). Running and gunning like a headless chicken is fun but gets old quick. I'm constantly tweaking my game, refining my loadouts, crawling Youtube and forums for an extra edge, and that's what how I think the game should be played by core gamers. But the beauty of MW2 is that the headless chickens/noobs/casuals can have fun too.

So every time I see the Harrier take down an Apache, I think this: "Does the pilot not know that he can shoot at the Harrier?" I've taken out so many Harriers as a CG, but I feel like I'm the only one who ever tries to do this. Usually you see the Harrier kill the Apache, which is nice when it's your Harrier, but annoying otherwise.

equiprimordial said:
I'm constantly tweaking my game, refining my loadouts, crawling
Me too, yeah, but in the end if I'm faster than you when we meet at the corner, it doesn't matter much 'cause next time you'll be faster than me.

I love the game. Completely. I used to bemoan the loss of "tactical shooters" and now I'm totally over them. I can't even stand to play S&D.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Yup, and I think the CP glitch is actually adding to it too. Takes too long to get your first CP to abuse for 10 more minutes if you try to hard-camp for it, plus if people aren't trying for nukes or at least AC's, they get out there and play more aggressive for those 4 kills.

Makes it look really pathetic when some guy has been trying the whole match and finally gets a care package when the score is 180/160 or something. :lol

I joined a lobby last night halfway through a game plagued by care package glitchers, Ground War but I forget the type. Second match was on Highrise, and the 3 or so glitchers were on the other team and trying to rush through the bottom with shotguns to get a quick 4. I spent the whole game down there attempting to ensure they would fail, and succeeded. Asshats. I think I'm going to take a page out of Sandy Ravage's book and play some FFA Booster Justice tonight, should be fun.

LosDaddie said:
Hahaha, nice. Ogre rules.

Dude, this kid in OT discussion the other day said

"If 80s movies taught me anything, it's be a nerd and be creative and fun... or be a nazi jock -- and who wants to be that?"* :lol

*Though in quotes, this is completely paraphrased and embellished.

Fugu

I played this game on a console for the first time today.

How is aim assist enjoyable? I feel like the game's playing itself and all I have to do to kill someone is point myself at them. I don't mean to start a console/PC shitfest, I just truly don't get it.

Fugu said:

How is aim assist enjoyable? I feel like the game's playing itself and all I have to do to kill someone is point myself at them. I don't mean to start a console/PC shitfest, I just truly don't get it.

I don't know how I feel about it. I think it's occasionally annoying that an enemy will drag my rifle this way or that when I don't even care about shooting at that guy. Other times it's probably helped my kill count.

Keep in mind too that PC users can move their crosshairs anywhere by changing the x,y position of their mouse -- an almost instantaneous movement with your hand -- while console users are using two sticks to move crosshairs to the desired spot. Maybe aim assist is making up for the fact that my reaction time looks slower than yours because it's taking more time and movement to even aim at you.

DeuceMojo said:
I don't know how I feel about it. I think it's occasionally annoying that an enemy will drag my rifle this way or that when I don't even care about shooting at that guy. Other times it's probably helped my kill count.

Keep in mind too that PC users can move their crosshairs anywhere by changing the x,y position of their mouse -- an almost instantaneous movement with your hand -- while console users are using two sticks to move crosshairs to the desired spot. Maybe aim assist is making up for the fact that my reaction time looks slower than yours because it's taking more time and movement to even aim at you.

Pretty much this. The dirty secret of console FPSs is that they pretty much all have aim-assist to make up for the lack of precision in dual-analog controls. Some have more, some have less, and some do a better job of hiding it. But it's almost always there.

Fugu

It makes some weird nuances though; It is completely and entirely impossible to put an ACOG on an Intervention and spawnkill a series of people on PC because without the aim assist you're not going to hit ANYTHING.

Pete Rock

Aim assist in MW2 is just atrocious, and the fact that their recoil model is from another universe doesn't help matters. You cannot stand with an LMG while looking through a thermal sight, spraying dozens of rounds down range while "holding your breath" and strafing back and forth, scoring headshots left and right.

Whereas in the Battlefield series it is just right on consoles, and you literally never "feel" it pull your aim around like that. Coming from a decade of Counterstrike, certain things in MW2 felt like a logical conclusion of that type of individual deathmatch game wrapped up in some bullshit objective nobody cares about. The lack of effective recoil and the ridiculous aim assist are not two of those things.

divisionbyzorro said:
Pretty much this. The dirty secret of console FPSs is that they pretty much all have aim-assist to make up for the lack of precision in dual-analog controls. Some have more, some have less, and some do a better job of hiding it. But it's almost always there.
That's good to know. But there must be a disconnect between my discussion of this game and me playing it, 'cause I sit here and think "I should lock on to someone, fire and see if auto-aim just takes them down" but then I sit down to play and forget all about it.

Almost all of my final kill cams look this: Me or enemy rounding a corner, me centering my crosshairs on the enemy, me shooting and moving the crosshairs up and down, and in the direction of the enemy's movement. It looks like the most ridiculous spray 'cause I'm probably breaking the auto-aim at least once and moving back to the center. Wish I could capture some video of it 'cause it's pretty funny. :lol

VALKYRAY

Banned
NYR said:
BTW, in his latest video on Favela, WOR calls anyone with a KDR of 2.00 and under a scrub, and that anyone over a 4 is a cheater. If that's the case, EVERYONE on this thread is a scrub according to his standards, as getting a KDR over 2 is really hard. Further, he targeted the Optics Nation crew - he just comes off sounding douchy and jealous about how much attention Hutch and the other guys get.

Stick to Tejbz, SeaNanners, Blame Truth, PainCakes and SandyRavage if you want to learn and be entertained, IMO.
i had an below 1 KDR before watching WOR's videos, after aquiring WOR's strategies, my KDR went up to 1.1 in a week. WOR is not an entertainer, he's a teacher

VALKYRAY said:
i had an below 1 KDR before watching WOR's videos, after aquiring WOR's strategies, my KDR went up to 1.1 in a week. WOR is not an entertainer, he's a teacher
Wow, sounds like I should seek out this guru/master/professor of martial theory.

VALKYRAY said:
So can we get some links to his best videos?

I've only seen a few of his videos and I only thought the Riot Shield nuke was the one with worthwhile teachings in it. The rest felt fairly pointless and I'm still a little annoyed that he started the OMA trend, so obviously I've missed his good stuff. Hook me up!

Meier

Fugu said:

Am I playing the game wrong by always aiming manually? I never notice any aim assist when playing online..

Top Bottom