• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

aku:jiki

Sealda said:
No, SP is seriously the most useful perk in the game. Sitrep pro is in Perk 3 and all of those gets "raped" by Perk 1 and 2 category.
Do you even know what SitRep Pro does?

The features it has is far more useful than being able to pump 1-2 less bullets into someone. I would instead argue that SP is more fun as a perk. It has immediate results that are unmissable, where SitRep takes more of a backseat. But it's a powerful fucking backseat.

DeuceMojo said:
Anyone tried using a running class with an AR/MG? I'd consider that I guess...
Yes, and after getting used to SMG's like you. It's hard to adjust and not fun, it's like you keep thinking you should be as fast and mobile as you are with an SMG because an AR kinda feels the same in that it's fast to ADS and can spray, but it's just not as fast at all and at least I end up miscalculating every move I make and dying. Nah, stick with SMG's for your running class.

I find the best solution for me was to just stop cold with all the running and use a FAL with noobtube and Scavenger plus Hardline. That combination makes me want to take it slow, but because I have Scavenger (and not OMA), I also want to slowly move around and collect blue bags and don't end up playing campy. Scavenger also seems to have the effect of making me want to think more of how to attack. Like, hey, I have infinite Semtex - maybe it's a better idea to just toss one in there instead of running in guns blazing like I would've with my SMG or SPAS. It's a nice class!

Mr. B Natural said:
There are very few that are interesting and fun to get
I thought this too. That they were fairly boring. I'll say a couple things:

1) Yes, there's only a handful I care about. It's true, they're repetitive and dry.

2) They DID break some ground here. Remember Ghost Recon, when there was a constant 4-line display of who killed whom, and that was pretty much it? Now at least you get a visual representation of your enemy's title and emblem and that's fun at least. Something to talk about for a minute anyway. And as much as we're interested in gaining rank, we also want that next title or emblem, whatever it is.

DeuceMojo said:
I thought this too. That they were fairly boring. I'll say a couple things:

1) Yes, there's only a handful I care about. It's true, they're repetitive and dry.

2) They DID break some ground here. Remember Ghost Recon, when there was a constant 4-line display of who killed whom, and that was pretty much it? Now at least you get a visual representation of your enemy's title and emblem and that's fun at least. Something to talk about for a minute anyway. And as much as we're interested in gaining rank, we also want that next title or emblem, whatever it is.

Absolutely. The idea is great. The execution just leaves me pondering why they didn't spend the extra couple of days to flesh it out. This Emblem here
Emblem-ghost.jpg
is a good story starter about the time I called in an Emergency Air Drop but just got one of the care packages before the other team took the spot. It happened to be a Stealth Bomber, so I put that baby right through the care packages that were about to be stolen. All 6 guys on the other team died very briefly afterward and I got my new rare emblem. Not a single care package stolen but I bet they were seconds from taken them as they heard that stealth bomber coming.

jiien

Mr. B Natural said:
Shh, Sit Rep Pro is only great because nobody else uses it. Don't listen to this man. Use commando, ninja, last stand instead, please. They're much better...especially ninja. I can't hear you coming...nope. Don't hear a thing. When you watch the killcam after I kill you, please realize that it was pure luck that I knew you were coming 10 seconds before you got there. That noobtube that hit you before you even showed up on my screen was pure guess work.

Jokes aside, Sit rep without danger close or stopping power can be aggravating. You'll get the first shot off and still lose the battle enough times to get on your nerves.

What makes SitRep Pro tricky at times is that you easily forget that your own footsteps are louder than what you hear. Keep that in mind and now you can camp all day long and infiltrate with ease as long as you take it very very slow and safe.

I used to play solely with an AR, Scavenger/SP/Ninja, for just about every map. I consider that a pretty staple class, and was getting bored, so I decided to pick a few new perks each prestige and try them out. Currently messing with Marathon and Lightweight on every single build, and it's a bunch of fun. Can't believe I missed out on this for so long. The SPEED.

Anyway, you've convinced me to try SitRep now. That, Scrambler, Hardline, and Last Stand are perks I never, ever use. I just never saw the benefit.

jiien said:
I used to play solely with an AR, Scavenger/SP/Ninja, for just about every map. I consider that a pretty staple class, and was getting bored, so I decided to pick a few new perks each prestige and try them out. Currently messing with Marathon and Lightweight on every single build, and it's a bunch of fun. Can't believe I missed out on this for so long. The SPEED.

Anyway, you've convinced me to try SitRep now. That, Scrambler, Hardline, and Last Stand are perks I never, ever use. I just never saw the benefit.

Gotta have headphones or surround sound. If not then it may just disorient you.

I tend to use a marathon lightweight class at the very beginning to get in position in places the other team isn't expecting at the very beginning of the game or to get in position before the opposing team can.

Oh and to get Sitrep Pro legitimately will probably take you 2 months straight if you play everyday intending to just find claymores. I don't know why IW thought getting rid of 150 claymores was a breeze. I'm not saying you should go ahead and boost to bypass that frustration, but...yeah, for your own safety find a friend that is also interested, toss on claymores and OMA and find a cage match.

jiien

Mr. B Natural said:
Gotta have headphones or surround sound. If not then it may just disorient you.

I tend to use a marathon lightweight class at the very beginning to get in position in places the other team isn't expecting at the very beginning of the game or to get in position before the opposing team can.

Oh and to get Sitrep Pro legitimately will probably take you 2 months straight if you play everyday intending to just find claymores. I don't know why IW thought getting rid of 150 claymores was a breeze. I'm not saying you should go ahead and boost to bypass that frustration, but...yeah, for your own safety find a friend that is also interested, toss on claymores and OMA and find a cage match.

Hmm, yeah, I was afraid that SitRep Pro would throw off my perceptions of footsteps and stuff as they are.

How do I get into a cage match with a friend? I was under the impression that it would be impossible to actually meet up with someone that I want to meet up with.

On my way out the door, so if you're still around, thanks in advance for the reply!

(Er, not that I'm going to boost for Pro or anything, just wondering... :p )

jiien said:
Hmm, yeah, I was afraid that SitRep Pro would throw off my perceptions of footsteps and stuff as they are.

How do I get into a cage match with a friend? I was under the impression that it would be impossible to actually meet up with someone that I want to meet up with.

On my way out the door, so if you're still around, thanks in advance for the reply!

(Er, not that I'm going to boost for Pro or anything, just wondering... :p )

I'm sure you can find your answers online. When/If you do PLEASE do it through a cage match so that you don't ruin the game for anyone that doesn't want to participate.

If you do have headphones or a surround system, sit rep pro actually lessens your disorientation because you can hear the difference between enemy footsteps and ally footsteps. Switching from Sit Rep Pro to Ninja makes me jumpy cause I rely so much on sound that the ally footsteps that are now loud again and that makes me turn for no reason and that throws me off.

venom2124

FunnyBunny said:
Thanks! I despised the level when I played it last night. I'll have to go back, take it more slowly and actually enjoy the experience (instead of swearing at it).

Part of the problem is my skill level. I only own/have owned three first person shooters in my life: Golden Eye (N64), MW and MW2. I'm just not good at them.
Just stick with it and take your time. I feel the two Favela missions are probably the hardest in the game, even on vet. Clear those and the game is pretty easy.

VaLiancY said:
The MW2 10th Prestige icon doesn't hold anything against CoD4's golden cross.
Yeah, WTF? That cross had some military significance to back it up, and it looked nice and was instantly recognizable, and, if I'm not mistaken, was BIGGER than these MW2 rank symbols, which are tiny by comparison.

I think should've used actual military insignia, like Purple Heart for first prestige, then Distinguished Service Cross, Navy Cross, perhaps some British medals, maybe an old school ANZAC medal, Russian, French, German, whatever, perhaps culminating with the Medal of Honor. Maybe that would've ruffled feathers somewhere, but some convincing knockoffs wouldn't have hurt anyone.

Sealda said:
People thinks it fun with KDR. Its fun to have something to show your skills with (subjective). Most of the people i play with (when i play with people) cares about KDR. My clan has 2.0 KDR minimum. When people on my friend list sees my KDR they sometimes says "OMG;Z UR KDR IS AWESOME". So yeah, for a lot of people it means something. The same thing the Prestige symbols or the emblems means something. KDR is the most skill-proof way to show if your good at the game beside actually playing with the people.

When you have played 10 days and have a KDR ratio that is good it means something. A Nuke symbol means that you can 10 matches played really good. If you play with the person maybe 1-10 times he can have a bad day or bad match. KDR is the best way to check if someone knows their stuff.

And if you actually trying not to have fun when playing the game just to get good KDR, you are doing something wrong.

When i play fotboll with my amateur team, i sometimes think it sucks, but overall i think it is fun. Its the same thing with KDR. Its not like i will stop play fotboll because its not always fun. But overall my fotboll experience is fun!

When you have good KDR you are getting lots of kills, gets lots of XP, gets lots of stuff. 90% of the time that means you are having a better time than someone who is constantly getting killed. You must be easy amused to think its fun to loose...

Because in most game types that aren't named Team Deathmatch, there are other objectives that have nothing to do with your K/D ratio. If I go 2/25 but I'm the only one to return all three flags... then I'm not losing, I'm actually the best person on the team.

NYR said:
OH GOD ANOTHER GLITCH

UNLIMITED PREDATOR MISSILE GLITCH
I'm a little surprised they didn't find this one earlier. Oh it's fake. Thank God.

Btw, what do you do in a game of demolition when you hear the enemy call in 15 care packages per round and they've had like 10 kills? The other night we just repeatedly smoked these fools and then suddenly they'd have 5 sentry guns and non-stop Pavelows. Besides call them out for the cheaters they were, what do you do? Learn to cheat with them?

Pretty ridiculous. I've never cheated in this game. Strange that 3 months later there's such glaring glitches. Glitches that somehow can't be patched??

aku:jiki

OldJadedGamer said:
Because in most game types that aren't named Team Deathmatch, there are other objectives that have nothing to do with your K/D ratio. If I go 2/25 but I'm the only one to return all three flags... then I'm not losing, I'm actually the best person on the team.
That's totally true, but if you return all three flags and go 25/2 you are BY FAR the best person on the team. That's what people are going for (at least those of us posting in here, I assume).

Ovid

rezuth said:
I can't understand why people would prefer M1014 over the SPAS. Grip+FMJ on SPAS and you are unstoppable. Given that it has a good rate of fire, great range and big mag it is clearly superior.
I can't understand why people prefer the shotguns over the Akimbo G18's w/ Steady Aim.

aku:jiki said:
That's totally true, but if you return all three flags and go 25/2 you are BY FAR the best person on the team. That's what people are going for (at least those of us posting in here, I assume).
It's funny, 'cause I don't really care about KDs much, and I would only watch a WOR or Hutch video for kicks, but it's funny how WOR called Hutch out for being a KD whore (which, let's be fair, I'm sure they both are) and said "listen if I'm playing a competitive match, it's a private match and it doesn't affect my stats anyway, so I don't care how negative I go."

Why, God, why can't this be incorporated somehow into ranked matches? Why does an objective game like HQ or Domination record kills and deaths? Imagine the unbelievable change to the leaderboards if objective games only recorded W/L and allowed you to rank up. People would swarm flags, use human wave tactics. In short, it would make every mode its own game instead of making every freaking game type (except FFA) TEAM DEATHMATCH.

No more: "We lost but you went negative." Way more "Good game, you beat us."

Find a match:
Free-for-all
Team Deathmatch
Mercenary Team Deathmatch
Headquarters Team Deathmatch
Demolition Team Deathmatch
Domination Team Deathmatch
Sabotage Team Deathmatch
Hardcore Team Deathmatch
3rd Person Team Tactical Team Deathmatch
Mosh Pit Team Deathmatch

VaLiancY said:
So half of my classes are UMP Marathon builds now. So whenever I use a LMG, I feel like I'm running through molasses.
You will never go back. I'm kinda glad they made it this way though. No sense in letting someone hop over rooftops and charge up stairs in Favela with a MG4 in one hand.

Bah, it pisses me off to no end that Marathon + Lightweighters can just run through claymores. The last match that I played, I must have been killed around 5 times by these runners. ARGH

VaLiancY

It is pretty refreshing to run through claymores and stab someone in the bank. It's best on that two story house near the video store on Invasion since that attracts so many people.:lol

I use to love LMGs but flanking a team constantly is so much better and refreshing.

aku:jiki said:

Not really. Going 25/2 and 2/25 and each returning 3 flags each made them the same skill level in this game type since killing/being killed has NOTHING to do with getting that flag back. That's my point. These people annoy me because they come into objective games and treat them like TDM cause they are overly concerned with their K/D ratio rather than actually winning the game.

VaLiancY

OldJadedGamer said:
Not really. Going 25/2 and 2/25 and each returning 3 flags each made them the same skill level in this game type since killing/being killed has NOTHING to do with getting that flag back. That's my point. These people annoy me because they come into objective games and treat them like TDM cause they are overly concerned with their K/D ratio rather than actually winning the game.

It's what makes me sick about objective games. It attracts the TDM crowd. On Domination, no one has a Stinger to take out killstreaks nor anyone wants to defend a point. They camp a back alley to stroke their K/D and in the lobby talk about going 32:4 but don't talk about how his team went 200-45.

jiien

LeMaximilian said:
Starting up a 'How to Dominate' video series for MW2, each highlighting a different map. Episode 1, Favela!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DIxs2tnGjU w/commentary

While you're definitely a good player, I wouldn't say that this video was particularly insightful. You are playing Domination, after all (in which it's MUCH easier to predict where people will be/come from than in other modes), and you are playing with a couple people in your party, who I assume you communicate enough with to have a pretty decent (and above normal) awareness of the map. On top of that, you obtained two Chopper Gunners (not that it is some easy achievement), which, especially on a mode like Domination, will wreck spawn points.

Anyway, it was still enjoyable to watch (and I hope you don't take my criticism as mean or insulting). I hope you show a few more unique styles/set ups in the following episodes. I don't think the insane KDR means anything as far as how well you dominate the other team (especially in a non-kill-oriented game mode, and especially in the killstreak-heavy game such as MW2), so I think a 'dominating' tactic would be more interesting to see than a 'dominating' KDR (even if the stat result is the same). Know what I mean?

The route you took throughout Favela was pretty cool, as was your style of play (timing as far as switching to secondary), but I just want to stress to you that the focus shouldn't be the extremely good KDR as a result; it should be the journey to that KDR, otherwise it becomes like every other video out there where some guy gets lucky against a team that won't shoot down air support.

Maybe I'm interpreting the video in the wrong way. Sorry if so!

Edit: Oh yeah, and I didn't listen to the commentary, can't do audio where I am right now, so sorry if that also threw off my perceptions. I plan to rewatch when I get home.

Ugh, it is so rare to find a non-TDM game where nobody is care package glitching. Out of the past six games of Domination that I've (tried) playing, at least one person was care package glitching. UGH

Meier

backflip10019 said:
Ugh, it is so rare to find a non-TDM game where nobody is care package glitching. Out of the past six games of Domination that I've (tried) playing, at least one person was care package glitching. UGH
The running one is obnoxious but I'm used to it since it's been in play so long and can be countered with some luck.

The unlimited thrown care package glitch on the other hand is just an absolutely nightmare, especially on domination as it essentially makes a team unstoppable. Even if you have up a stinger and take out their air support, half your team is constantly dying and it makes it just about impossible to hold a second flag so they're going to slowly but surely win.

If I ever encounter it, I'll just leave the game after the round is over and will usually report the person if I could figure out who it was.

jiien said:
The route you took throughout Favela was pretty cool, as was your style of play (timing as far as switching to secondary), but I just want to stress to you that the focus shouldn't be the extremely good KDR as a result; it should be the journey to that KDR, otherwise it becomes like every other video out there where some guy gets lucky against a team that won't shoot down air support.

Maybe I'm interpreting the video in the wrong way. Sorry if so!

Edit: Oh yeah, and I didn't listen to the commentary, can't do audio where I am right now, so sorry if that also threw off my perceptions. I plan to rewatch when I get home.

When you listen to the commentary you'll see that it isn't. The KDR isn't even that impressive when you see that players are on the other team are quitting so you get a bunch of mid-game joiners vs. what appears to be an entire party of friends.

The commentary is mostly about how one should try to hold down Favela and the best spots to keep an eye on all checkpoints. He had some great tips.

Mileena

Banned
VaLiancY said:
So half of my classes are UMP Marathon builds now. So whenever I use a LMG, I feel like I'm running through molasses.
Exact reason I won't use the AUG, when I really want to. I can't take the slow running with LMGs.

corkscrewblow said:
Exact reason I won't use the AUG, when I really want to. I can't take the slow running with LMGs.
The last time I really enjoyed running a MG class was FFA in COD4, when it didn't take running anywhere to get to the enemy. I can't even imagine having a clunky, slow machinegunner in like Derail. I could never really enjoy it. Oddly enough though, I have the AUG mastery title. Seems like a long, long time ago. :lol

mr_boo

backflip10019 said:
Bah, it pisses me off to no end that Marathon + Lightweighters can just run through claymores. The last match that I played, I must have been killed around 5 times by these runners. ARGH
I know exactly how you feel cause I predominately use claymores too. Though I think there has to be something truly anti-claymore to pressure campers. Otherwise, claymores are much too effective as deterrents (whether in actually killing the attacker or being used as alarms).

Top Bottom