• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

aku:jiki said:
I stumbled over a montage that I thought was really fun. Never heard of the kid playing but it has some really great stuff... My favorites are when the song goes "oh! oh! oh!" and he just plays a bunch of rocket multi-kills in sync with it (so perfect!) and the ridiculously insane sniping streak he has at the end. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcv0f5LBG3A

Yeaahhh it's always fun to watch someone make a new account and destroy a bunch of new players. The ladder quickscope was pretty awesome though. :lol

mr_boo

Sealda said:
I hope you are referring to HC when you talk about COD4 or that you played on PC
LOL...I knew someone would spot that. Though COD4's dominate kit was some M16 w SP and 3 Frag variant, I actually preferred the G3 over the M16 (stop laughing at me). I played on the PS3 in good old regular TDMs and I did NOT use a mod (though I've been accused of it before).

However, the point is - my approach for COD4 matches pretty much always boiled down to 3 Frags w SP and <insert your favorite gun here>. In other words, for me - it was pretty much a gun fight every single time. However, in MW2 I'm finding much more variety of play. Maybe I didn't play COD4 the "right way" but I think MW2 simply has more choices.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
gotta say I think no-scoping/quick scoping is the most broken part of the game. there's practically no way to counter it and it shouldn't even be possible to do.

ok so shotguns are powerful, but....thats kinda what shotguns are like....powerful. sometimes it feels like the range is too far, but what distances are we talking about here? 2 cars length? I'm sure a shotgun can do some pretty good damage. a better way to have balanced shotguns could've been to make them hip fire only, or to recoil a lot more when ADS. simply reducing power or range seems abit weaksauce to me. keep it as realistic as possible.

even care package glitches have counter strategies, cold blooded pro, stay indoors. sneak around and pick them off cos they're too busy cheating.

with knifers you gotta just be ready for em, watch your six, set up shop and wait for them to come to you and you can easily pick em off from a distance.

noobtubers aren't infallible either and so many of my deaths result from a grenade not exploding.

but when you come across a good quickscope guy, you're fucked. when you come across a team with a few of them? just give up. to me its just as ridiculous as knifing when you have akimbo weapons. its an absurd thing to be able to do.

only reason we dont moan about it a lot is because its hard to do and so we rarely run into it, but boy oh boy when you run into it, nothings more annoying. just cos something requires skill, doesn't mean its a free pass to becoming overpowered and being able to use impossible techniques to dominate.

/rant

Griffith

Banned
I stumbled over a montage that I thought was really fun. Never heard of the kid playing but it has some really great stuff... My favorites are when the song goes "oh! oh! oh!" and he just plays a bunch of rocket multi-kills in sync with it (so perfect!) and the ridiculously insane sniping streak he has at the end. :lol

Edit: Have to add another favorite - when he's climbing the ladder in Terminal, goes oh shit, backs up and actually hits the guy with the noscope. God damn.
The sniping streak at the end is nuts, but the people he was playing against sucked. They kept coming towards him in a straight line.

eek5

Griffith said:
The sniping streak at the end is nuts, but the people he was playing against sucked. They kept coming towards him in a straight line.
A lot of them were probably spawning on B and considering how much they were winning I can see how even good players might throw all logic out of the window and just try to go for the revenge kill.

Jrmint

Xamdou said:
When is Infinity Ward going to release new map packs?
402 said spring in like December and said they are working on it currently in his twitter.. so I'd say hopefully by April at the latest.

Sealda

Banned
DarknessTear said:

Seriously, i get the QSing, i can do that. But the no-scoping from like other side of the map. Thats impossible. He must have a small dot on his tv so he knows where exactly the aim point is? Or have he already zoomed in the enemy position then he shoots no-scoping?

Griffith

Banned
eek5 said:
A lot of them were probably spawning on B and considering how much they were winning I can see how even good players might throw all logic out of the window and just try to go for the revenge kill.
Even so, they could have just jumped out of one of the side windows and tried to flank him.

JaMarco

eek5 said:
They weren't even shooting at him

Sealda

Banned
mr_boo said:
LOL...I knew someone would spot that. Though COD4's dominate kit was some M16 w SP and 3 Frag variant, I actually preferred the G3 over the M16 (stop laughing at me). I played on the PS3 in good old regular TDMs and I did NOT use a mod (though I've been accused of it before).

However, the point is - my approach for COD4 matches pretty much always boiled down to 3 Frags w SP and <insert your favorite gun here>. In other words, for me - it was pretty much a gun fight every single time. However, in MW2 I'm finding much more variety of play. Maybe I didn't play COD4 the "right way" but I think MW2 simply has more choices.

I cannot imagine playing with the G3 on most maps and especially Shipment must have been pure hell.

Well that is what i hate about MW2. 50 % of the players uses fun knifes, Claymores, Noob-tubes. I have said this before, but it cannot be stressed enough. Its fun with knifes, claymores and whatever. But when it basically becomes the prime killer for some peoples prime kit its not fun anymore. MW2 should be about having great aim and positioning. It should be about assault rifles and GUNS! Seriously its a freaking first person shooter, not a freaking Michael Myers simulator (heh...).

Why not give us some fun tanks and jetpacks. ITS ONLY A VIDEO-GAME relax! Don´t take it so seriously.

Fact is, these noob-tubers and knifers are having fun on behalf of us who play the game with guns.

Nobody would like the game to only have ARs but it would be 10 x better than only having commando knifers and noob-tubers. You see, the noob-tubers and commando knifers should have their own private lobbies where they can have "ONLY KNIFES ONLY KNIFES" rules.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Just spent 20 minutes with friends trying to get into team deathmatch. IW should be ashamed of themselves. What a terrible mess of an online game.

El_TigroX said:
Just spent 20 minutes with friends trying to get into team deathmatch. IW should be ashamed of themselves. What a terrible mess of an online game.

okay..its not like that happens often to many people though..

Sealda said:
I cannot imagine playing with the G3 on most maps and especially Shipment must have been pure hell.

Well that is what i hate about MW2. 50 % of the players uses fun knifes, Claymores, Noob-tubes. I have said this before, but it cannot be stressed enough. Its fun with knifes, claymores and whatever. But when it basically becomes the prime killer for some peoples prime kit its not fun anymore. MW2 should be about having great aim and positioning. It should be about assault rifles and GUNS! Seriously its a freaking first person shooter, not a freaking Michael Myers simulator (heh...).

Why not give us some fun tanks and jetpacks. ITS ONLY A VIDEO-GAME relax! Don´t take it so seriously.

Fact is, these noob-tubers and knifers are having fun on behalf of us who play the game with guns.

Nobody would like the game to only have ARs but it would be 10 x better than only having commando knifers and noob-tubers. You see, the noob-tubers and commando knifers should have their own private lobbies where they can have "ONLY KNIFES ONLY KNIFES" rules.

And even if those things got fixed, there is still the fact that LMGs are ridiculously nerfed in this game. I was liking them at first, but after to switching to the UMP, I am realizing the ridiculousness that an SMG with a silencer does more does more damage per bullet than any LMG with a silencer. Along with dealing with the Noob-tubers and knifers, they need to do something to make the LMGs a little more worthwhile, because the only advantages LMGs have over assault rifles seem to be:

- No damage drop over a distance (which is useless with the high recoil even w/ grip)
- Rarely the need to reload
- Deeper bullet penetration (which is only useful for getting extended mags)

If they just could reduce the recoil that occurs when using a grip, the guns would be alot more useful.

MrDaravon

JustHadToJoin said:

Happens to us every single day, usually on multiple occasions (but not taking THAT long). There's usually anywhere from 3 to 8 of us, all with good internet connections, in the US, and with Open NAT, and the game will CONSTANTLY boot people out of lobbies, fail to migrate hosts, lobbies will be "closed," and all other kinds of crazy bullshit. We literally have to play Ground War now because we have to stay in Party Chat (360 here) because it's so frequent that otherwise it's sometimes hard to tell before a match starts if we lost someone or not. It's fucking terrible, and I've never played any console or PC game that even approaches a lobby/party system that is this fucking broken. I'd rather see this fixed than the Care Package glitches at this point.

jedimike

LeMaximilian said:
Starting up a 'How to Dominate' video series for MW2, each highlighting a different map. Episode 1, Favela!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DIxs2tnGjU w/commentary

Very nice... calm and well articulated with some useful information. Much more enjoyable than other videos I have seen with bad language, slangs, slurs, etc. Not saying I'm against foul language... it's just refreshing to see a more "professional" presentation of the game. I think you're on to something and I'll definitely check out your next videos.

On Favela, I always stay clear of that house... not sure why, but now I'll think of it differently. I'm also a huge fan of the claymores.

I mostly play FFA and HTDM... never domination, but it seems to be popular. I'll have to give it a shot.

aku:jiki

I've been wondering, how do US players feel the latency in this game? One thing that really bothers me a lot is the fact that I can basically never take cover. I have to shoot the other guy first or I'm dead. Even if he misses a few shots, I notice and hit B to get behind cover immediately, and have enough space to immediately hit prone, I get killed right when I go into prone because his shots lagged behind. Happens every single time this situation occurs. Same thing with running around corners - I die after making it into cover every time.

So, do US players make it into cover or is it as useless for everybody?

I'm starting to get the feeling that this game cheats with the bullets - that there is no "travel time" or whatever. I never lead my sniper shots and get kills clear across the maps, for example, and that would explain why the above situation occurs. I was standing when he fired so the game calculated the shots as hits before the bullets actually reached me. Anyone else ever feel like the game does this?

TestOfTide said:
And even if those things got fixed, there is still the fact that LMGs are ridiculously nerfed in this game. I was liking them at first, but after to switching to the UMP, I am realizing the ridiculousness that an SMG with a silencer does more does more damage per bullet than any LMG with a silencer.
I'd even say an UMP with a silencer is stronger than an LMG with Stopping Power. It is pretty ridiculous now that you mention it.

I wouldn't mind a fix for sniper damage myself. I don't want to be able to OHK opponents in the foot like most of the community seems to, but it's annoying when the only thing visible of the other player is his head and shoulders and you still get just a damage marker. Happens way too often. Something's just up with the sniper damage and it would be awesome if they fixed it.

kuYuri

So, do US players make it into cover or is it as useless for everybody?

It happens to us too. It's not just you.

And I've said it before, the UMP needs to get nerfed. Either slightly decrease power or decrease range.

DMasta718

Banned
Yea. Cover in this game is type useless. If you're seen by the enemy and try to run to cover before he shoot you, 80% it won't work. Even though on your screen you made it to cover, on their screen you're still out in the open. Frustrating.

Wthermans

Banned
Insaniac said:
I wish IW would change their spawn system. it is just terrible
At least it's not like Battlefield 2 that had limited spawn points per flag which could be easily camped and/or entirely blocked.

Xux

Spinning Plates said:
When you EMP the enemy does that stop any of the anti-aircraft missiles being able to lock on?

Yeah but it'll work after they respawn (they might have to respawn awhile after being hit).

So, EMPing before Chopper Gunnering isn't necessarily a free Nuking but it'll guarantee a few kills.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
JustHadToJoin said:

It happens very frequently for me and my friends. 5 people can't connect into the same game; people being dropped randomly from games, crashes, bugs.

The thing is a complete mess.

Mush

Mush said:
I'm still sitting at 70 1st Prestige. Here's my checklist of things to do before I hit 2nd.

Complete Lightweight VI (Currently at 200 miles)
Complete Steady Aim VI (Currently at 438 kills)
Get SitRep Pro (Currently at 102)
Get Game Winning Kill with an Attack Helicopter (Spent the last week trying to earn this)
+ a few others I can't remember right now.

And finally, get my first fucking Nuke. I've had at least five times where I've been on a 20+ streak, get impatient and rush out hoping to get the last few kills I need because my Chopper Gunner/AC130 didn't do the job and or gets shot down, only to get pwned in the process :( I really really need to get this monkey off my back or I'll never play this game again, no matter how awesome infuriating MW2 is.

Small update. Now focusing on finshing OMA VI and, (gulp) Last Stand VI and Danger Close VI. Still huntin' for that elusive first Nuke.

Infinity Ward, your matchmaking is flat out embarrassing. I just finished a game on Wasteland 7 vs 7 where one team had all 7 people that had prestiged, 4 of them several times, the other team had 1 guy that had prestiged once and 3 that were under level 20.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
BolognaSoup said:
Infinity Ward, your matchmaking is flat out embarrassing. I just finished a game on Wasteland 7 vs 7 where one team had all 7 people that had prestiged, 4 of them several times, the other team had 1 guy that had prestiged once and 3 that were under level 20.
It seems to be a pretty regular occurrence that when a team dominates another team, the matchmaking system will simply match those same teams up the same way, regardless of the fact the teams aren't in any sort of party or anything.

I'd even say an UMP with a silencer is stronger than an LMG with Stopping Power. It is pretty ridiculous now that you mention it.

If the LMG has a sliencer, yeah.

I wouldn't mind a fix for sniper damage myself. I don't want to be able to OHK opponents in the foot like most of the community seems to, but it's annoying when the only thing visible of the other player is his head and shoulders and you still get just a damage marker. Happens way too often. Something's just up with the sniper damage and it would be awesome if they fixed it.

It's perfectly fine. Stopping power is required to OHK anything at full health with a silenced sniper, and that's with a headshot.

Non-silenced, its perfectly balanced, because the idea is that you are supposed to OHK anything with stopping power if you hit them at the head or torso (unless you are using a weaker, more stable sniper). If you OHK someone by shooting them in the limb, it's because they were already damaged. It's pretty much like CoD4 except without the M40 and without annoying juggernauts.

.nimrod

kaizoku said:
gotta say I think no-scoping/quick scoping is the most broken part of the game. there's practically no way to counter it and it shouldn't even be possible to do.

ok so shotguns are powerful, but....thats kinda what shotguns are like....powerful. sometimes it feels like the range is too far, but what distances are we talking about here? 2 cars length? I'm sure a shotgun can do some pretty good damage. a better way to have balanced shotguns could've been to make them hip fire only, or to recoil a lot more when ADS. simply reducing power or range seems abit weaksauce to me. keep it as realistic as possible.

even care package glitches have counter strategies, cold blooded pro, stay indoors. sneak around and pick them off cos they're too busy cheating.

with knifers you gotta just be ready for em, watch your six, set up shop and wait for them to come to you and you can easily pick em off from a distance.

noobtubers aren't infallible either and so many of my deaths result from a grenade not exploding.

but when you come across a good quickscope guy, you're fucked. when you come across a team with a few of them? just give up. to me its just as ridiculous as knifing when you have akimbo weapons. its an absurd thing to be able to do.

only reason we dont moan about it a lot is because its hard to do and so we rarely run into it, but boy oh boy when you run into it, nothings more annoying. just cos something requires skill, doesn't mean its a free pass to becoming overpowered and being able to use impossible techniques to dominate.

/rant

i'd say quickscoping is the hardest way to get kills. if your first shot doesn't kill the other guy you're dead, and it takes longer to look through the scope of a sniper rifle with sleight of hand pro than aiming down the sights of an assault rifle without it.
if the other guy hits you first with one bullett your aim is off and you won't hit him.

so if someone is really good at quickscoking, chances are he would've killed you with any other primary, too.

DRE Fei

Yeah, quickscoping to me is a very high risk thing considering how good the assault rifles are. I don't think the sniper was meant to be used that way, but it's an interesting thing to do for a nice change of pace.

Mush

TestOfTide said:
And even if those things got fixed, there is still the fact that LMGs are ridiculously nerfed in this game. I was liking them at first, but after to switching to the UMP, I am realizing the ridiculousness that an SMG with a silencer does more does more damage per bullet than any LMG with a silencer. Along with dealing with the Noob-tubers and knifers, they need to do something to make the LMGs a little more worthwhile, because the only advantages LMGs have over assault rifles seem to be:

- No damage drop over a distance (which is useless with the high recoil even w/ grip)

If they just could reduce the recoil that occurs when using a grip, the guns would be alot more useful.
I personally find the AUG HBAR to be better than half the AR's in the game but that's just me. The only AR's that I use are the TAR, SCAR and ACR. (In that order)

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
TestOfTide said:

Yes, LMGs are gimp, but by no means are they useless. I find LMG + Grip to be devastatingly accurate, and if you're playing something like Ground War the huge clip size is amazing, how many times have you died because your clip didn't have enough bullets for the targets in front of you? Although you virtually need to use it with Sleight of Hand and being slow really rains on my parade =\

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
it all depends on the map really. I quickscope frequently with an intervention thermal, and i can usually make a 2 k/d on some maps. Terminal is probably the best for quickscoping, due to the long staright hallways, which means enemies tend to run in two directions which makes it easy to kill them. Went 23-15 quickscoping, which, while not the best, is pretty respectable and awfully annoying to the other team.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
it all depends on the map really. I quickscope frequently with an intervention thermal, and i can usually make a 2 k/d on some maps. Terminal is probably the best for quickscoping, due to the long staright hallways, which means enemies tend to run in two directions which makes it easy to kill them. Went 23-15 quickscoping, which, while not the best, is pretty respectable and awfully annoying to the other team.
I don't even understand how it works, is it just a case of trying to line up a shot first and reacting real fast when you zoom in to find your target and shoot? Or is there some kind of aim assist going on?

Usually quick scopers are in a position which makes it hard to shoot them with an AR and they're ducking in and out of cover etc. They pop out to nail you and pop back in before you get a chance to react.

I find the only way to deal with one of these guys is noobtubes or flank and sneak attack. I.e picking them off from an unseen sniping spot. I don't think I've ever taken one on head on and won. But I suppose I wouldn't have noticed if I had.

.nimrod

kaizoku said:
I don't even understand how it works, is it just a case of trying to line up a shot first and reacting real fast when you zoom in to find your target and shoot? Or is there some kind of aim assist going on?[...]

quickscoping is really just shooting as soon as you fully look through your scope, and for that to work you have to aim with your crosshair before you scope in.
you also have to be standing still while shooting, or your bullett won't hit where you're aiming at. that alone makes you really vulnerable

Wthermans

Banned
DRE Fei said:
Yeah, quickscoping to me is a very high risk thing considering how good the assault rifles are. I don't think the sniper was meant to be used that way, but it's an interesting thing to do for a nice change of pace.
Quickscoping has been in COD since it's inception (and was actually easier before you had to hold your breath---all that this does is make you hold another key when you scope though). The reason it wasn't as prevalent is because unscoped snipers were 10x better than traditional snipers.

A good bolt action user could mop the floor in COD1/UO/COD2. You still can in W@W, but it's harder due to the increased firerate of the automatics compared to the older games.

.nimrod said:
quickscoping is really just shooting as soon as you fully look through your scope, and for that to work you have to aim with your crosshair before you scope in.
you also have to be standing still while shooting, or your bullett won't hit where you're aiming at. that alone makes you really vulnerable

You can move, you just have to take into account the scope sway (much like when you use an ACOG on a Sniper).

.nimrod

Wthermans said:
[...]You can move, you just have to take into account the scope sway (much like when you use an ACOG on a Sniper).

yeah, but that's more like invisible sway, since the bullet does not go where the crosshair is pointing at when your moving.
at least that's what i've experienced. there where times when i was dead center on some guy and didn't even get a hitmarker

Finally got my second nuke, first round I went 38-3, but my streak was cut in 24 as I was in hurry. I was kinda bummed but in the next map, I started with sucking alot, and suddently got 3 kills in a row, followed by EPIC 5 man knife kill (the whole enemy team in one room) and boom! Chopper gunner was soon to be mine. 24 kills after the chopper and just one awesome pistol kill left (my primary weapon had ran out of bullets a long time ago).

Belfast

Err.... double post. I'll take this opportunity to rant about newbies, as well. Man, they really mess with my flow. I expect to be playing against an experienced opponent most of the time, but then there's some newbie sitting or camping in BFE that I would never in my life expect to be there, and they kill me. God dammit.

.nimrod

is someone else having trouble getting into a match with the ps3 version right now?
it keeps getting stuck at fetching playlists

bud said:
anyone else having trouble connecting on the ps3?

Yes. I've finally reached lv70. Go into my loadout to set up the AK.
Message "Your sign in status has changed" appears. I get signed out and now I can't connect.

WTFWTFWTFWTF

Top Bottom