• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
divisionbyzorro said:
So I've gotten to where the only two remaining attachments on the AK-47 are the Thermal sight and Extended Mags. Holy shit. The ACOG is even worse on the AK-47 than I thought it would be. How is that even possible?

Other random note:

I hope that the upcoming content pack doesn't just include maps for multiplayer. I want it to include something new for class building; maybe new perks, or new equipment, or new killstreak rewards. See, maps are great, but unless you're playing on the new map, you're not getting anything for the money you spent. I want something I could use at any time.

Some suggestions:

• Equipment: Tripwire. Can't be destroyed. Place it across a walkway and you'll get an alarm when an enemy crosses over it. It helps you know when someone's sneaking up on you, but it doesn't actually do any damage. Invisible without sitrep (or looking very very closely).
  • Special Grenade: EMP Grenade. Causes a localized, very short-term EMP effect. Side effect of instantly killing a sentry gun.
  • Killstreak Bonus: Juggernaut suit. Toss a red-smoke grenade to have a juggernaut suit dropped in. Activate it to become the juggernaut until killed.
  • Perk: Operative (Red). Capture points faster, arm/defuse bombs faster, move faster with flag. Pro version causes flash/stun invulnerability.

Your last 2 suggestions paired together would be absolutely game breaking. What's to stop a team from hanging out until they all get one and then stomping? I feel like too many nasty things could come from this. Who cares how well set up your defense is, I'll just put on my juggernaut suit with op pro and capture the point anyway. Sounds like hell.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
grap3fruitman said:
Photo0570-1.jpg

Photo0572-1.jpg
Photo0574-1.jpg
Photo0575-1.jpg

First match as tenth prestige: "I bet you hacked that."
Fff...

So aren't you supposed to get something more than just a title, emblem and icon for going tenth? What the fuck is it? I didn't get squat.

22 days played? Really?

Holepunch

I'm probably VERY late to this but I was just looking into buying this for PC. I live in Canada.

Steam: $59.99 US

EB US Console Versions: $49.99 + free shipping

EB US PC Version: $59.99 for DOWNLOADING

EB Canada: $64.99 Canadian

Amazon.com: $49.00 US

Amazon.ca Console Versions: $49.99 Canadian

Amazon.ca PC version: $54.99 Canadian

Not only does Activision seem to hate PC gamers they have a fucking vendetta against Canadian PC gamers. Not only that, this game actually sold well which means this might be the new standard of pricing bullshit. Goddamnit GAF, at least tell me the PC gamers didn't support this.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Does someone know whether this game has any sort of skill based matchmaking?

It seems to me that the games are completely random. All night I've been in games with Level 9s matched 7th Level prestiges. Every game has one guy who gets around 30 kills with two or three deaths.

I'm 58 myself and some 5th Level prestiges are way too hard for me to fight against.

I wonder, how can a game with such a rubbish system be so popular?

eek5

corkscrewblow said:
Dude, everything about that gun is just terrible. It's like taking the ACR with it's shitty damage and removing the best part about it, the incredible accuracy. You're just left with this abomination of a gun that I don't think anyone should use except for some lolz.
it adds in a much higher rate of fire too :)

cameltoe

Ran into a cleaver little team playing CTF earlier.

They would do their thing for the first half, saving all their killstreaks for the second half. Then unleash them one after another! One dude had 5 predators, 3 harriers, and a few pavlows saved up..... Their whole team did this! Was like the care package glitch all over again....it was complete chaos...so i tried this same thing next round. Saved all my KS and unleashed them one after another after another! The other team could not move..lol. They shoot down a harrier..here comes another, and another and another!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
divisionbyzorro said:
Other random note:

I hope that the upcoming content pack doesn't just include maps for multiplayer. I want it to include something new for class building; maybe new perks, or new equipment, or new killstreak rewards. See, maps are great, but unless you're playing on the new map, you're not getting anything for the money you spent. I want something I could use at any time.

Some suggestions:

• Equipment: Tripwire. Can't be destroyed. Place it across a walkway and you'll get an alarm when an enemy crosses over it. It helps you know when someone's sneaking up on you, but it doesn't actually do any damage. Invisible without sitrep (or looking very very closely).
  • Special Grenade: EMP Grenade. Causes a localized, very short-term EMP effect. Side effect of instantly killing a sentry gun.
  • Killstreak Bonus: Juggernaut suit. Toss a red-smoke grenade to have a juggernaut suit dropped in. Activate it to become the juggernaut until killed.
  • Perk: Operative (Red). Capture points faster, arm/defuse bombs faster, move faster with flag. Pro version causes flash/stun invulnerability.

that last one seems way overpowered! They all seem a little powerful actually. I agree that new maps would suck though. if its not maps its gotta be spec ops/co-op related stuff surely. I'd love a miraculous 4 player co-op mode.

If its gonna be DLC, they can't add stuff onto the core gameplay that some people can use and some cant.

I had awesome session today. since I stopped sucking at the game most matches I seem to get at least twice as many kills as deaths. I've taken WingsofRedemptions tip on leveling up and I'm using the emergency airdrop as my highest killstreak, the idea being I get 4 care packages which I give away for big points. But I suck at it. Since I prestiged I'm now 43 or so and I've had the 8 killstreak like 12 times and I've screwed it up in some way almost everytime. I've only managed to have every package picked up by team mates ONCE. So infuriating. Might abandon the strategy, but its such a buzz taking that risk.

I'm so happy to be back at a higher rank, claymores are so essential to my game now, I am a beast with them. Not only can I hold important areas of the map on my own, the number of times I've gotten instant payback is grand! I just wait awhile before respawning and let them wander into my trap :D

I think I'm turning into a camper though. Not cos I care about K/D ratio but because .... I'm getting lazy! I'd rather bait an enemy to step into my claymore than try to outgun them. Its so awesome.

Great example was on Afghan earlier, I was in the bunker and had both exits covered with claymores. I was shooting out at A and take a couple out. Was going for a 3rd guy but had to reload, his buddies respawn and come back for revenge. I tried to take a few pop shots but they'd gotten too close so I went prone and let them walk into my claymore, one is blown up and I pick off a 2nd charging in the door. 3rd guy is hanging back. thats 4 kills. I rush out and grab another claymore with scavenger and plant it again and run into the next room knowing full well they were coming back for more.

I hear them throwing grenades in to flush me out, bam there goes my claymore kill. Now I know one is dead and two will be coming my way. I hide behind the door and take them both out as they come in. thats 7 kills. send my harrier over A as they try to storm in again, and quickly use my predator just as the 3 of them are coming in the door :lol I now have to find a safe place to dump my emergency airdrops but my stinking team mates are all at C.

Game ends before I can even get to C. :(

Is that camping? does that make me a bad guy? I can't even tell right from wrong anymore! I felt awesome doing it and never felt like I was playing cowardly. I just anticipated their moves and outsmarted them. Main reason for me preserving life now is because I've set my claymore and if I die it disappears!

aku:jiki

kaizoku said:
Is that camping? does that make me a bad guy?
Nah, doesn't sound like it. Haters consider that camping, but those are the same people who will keep coming back for revenge and die 5 times in the process. What do they expect you to do when they keep doing that? They're not letting you stop "camping"!

It seems everyone takes away something from WingsOfRedemption's videos, so mine has become to try to not go for the revenge kill. He's right - that gets me killed more often than not. Like just now I went 22-20 on Favela and that's with an 11 kill streak on the last life! All because I spent seriously 10 lives letting the same fucking camper get me... :lol

Mileena

Banned
* Equipment: Tripwire. Can't be destroyed. Place it across a walkway and you'll get an alarm when an enemy crosses over it. It helps you know when someone's sneaking up on you, but it doesn't actually do any damage. Invisible without sitrep (or looking very very closely).
* Special Grenade: EMP Grenade. Causes a localized, very short-term EMP effect. Side effect of instantly killing a sentry gun.
* Killstreak Bonus: Juggernaut suit. Toss a red-smoke grenade to have a juggernaut suit dropped in. Activate it to become the juggernaut until killed.
* Perk: Operative (Red). Capture points faster, arm/defuse bombs faster, move faster with flag. Pro version causes flash/stun invulnerability.
These all sound fucking awful... so IW would probably do it. Remove it before you give them any ideas.

whitehawk

Banned
HOLY SHIT I just went 75 - 18.

I think it's my best game yet :D I'm loving the SCAR + hardline. Also I was using care package > predator > harrier. I must have gotten at least 3 legit harriers, and 1 from a care package. Some of my harriers got 15+ kills :lol

PS: I was NOT camping.

kaizoku said:
that last one seems way overpowered! They all seem a little powerful actually.

Haha. Overpowered? Obviously the power would come down to how much of a boost it gave you. First, since it's a red perk, you give up stopping power, danger close, hardline - essentially, all of the "killing" perks for a faster point capture. You can't pair it with cold-blooded either, so no speedy-stealth captures. You would give up a lot for it.

EMP grenade wouldn't be all that powerful either. You get no stun from it, just a temporary loss of electronics. Think about how powerful a well-placed flash or stun grenade is - it completely takes you out of the action for a good five seconds. Losing electronics would be nothing by comparison. If anything, it would be useless as opposed to overpowered. Would it actually help you get more kills? Probably not.

Obviously though, my point wasn't that I want these specifics things to be in the update, but that I want something to come in the update beyond just maps - I want something that makes all the maps feel fresh as well. Maybe more game modes or something; who knows.

KaYotiX

Banned
whitehawk said:
HOLY SHIT I just went 75 - 18.

I think it's my best game yet :D I'm loving the SCAR + hardline.

Also I was using care package > predator > harrier. I must have gotten at least 3 legit harriers, and 1 from a care package. Some of my harriers got 15+ kills :lol

gotta love playing against idiots :D

Magik

jayb said:
I'd like to see them add a set of game modes with Perks and Killstreaks disabled. Just guys and guns.

The easiest thing to do is to just have three playlists with all the game modes:

1) Core (Killstreaks Enabled)
2) Hardcore (Killstreaks Enabled with adjusted timers)
3) Traditional (Killstreaks disabled)

Wouldn't something like that solve a lot of the problems that MW2 is having and will probably have till the end of time?

As for DLC, I'd would like it to have a mix of MP Maps and new Spec Ops missions or even new single player missions.

In regards to Killstreaks, I find myself enjoying smaller killstreak set-ups. Something in the range of 5-7 is a lot of fun and can easily be achieved again and again.

How come everyone that sucks on my friend's list loves HC? HC in this game is awful. Just awful. They didn't even bother to design/rebalance any of it. It's just lower health and no hud. Not a single map in this game is designed for HC play. In hc, the latency issues aren't fixed, folks...if anything they're worse thanks to the necessity to get that first shot off. And issues with OMA, hiding and camping just get worse, too. Exponentially so.

But no, 90% of the people I play with insist on playing HC...despite being terrible at this game and incapable/bored of camping. Played a game of HC headquarters in Rust and it was possibly the single stupidest experience I've had in this game yet. There are so many different gametypes and yet everyone just plays 1 over and over again. I don't get it. It's boring. HC all day long is boring.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I hate this game so much at time...but tonight I played Mercenary Team Deathmatch with a few guys who just were playing for fun. Not overly concerned about K/D, not talking all kinds of crap, just normal dudes not taking it so seriously. It was so much fun.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Level 67 and I'm grinding. What do I get when I prestige besides the ability to earn more callsigns/emblems? Any other benefits?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Mr. B Natural said:
How come everyone that sucks on my friend's list loves HC? HC in this game is awful. Just awful. They didn't even bother to design/rebalance any of it. It's just lower health and no hud. Not a single map in this game is designed for HC play. In hc, the latency issues aren't fixed, folks...if anything they're worse thanks to the necessity to get that first shot off. And issues with OMA, hiding and camping just get worse, too. Exponentially so.

But no, 90% of the people I play with insist on playing HC...despite being terrible at this game and incapable/bored of camping. Played a game of HC headquarters in Rust and it was possibly the single stupidest experience I've had in this game yet. There are so many different gametypes and yet everyone just plays 1 over and over again. I don't get it. It's boring. HC all day long is boring.

Don't know about anyone else but I usually play Hardcore to get away from the killstreak infested core modes.

It's a slower paced, more methodical, less killstreak dominant mode for the most part. It's a nice change of pace every now and then.

mr_boo

corkscrewblow said:
UMP I think is viable on all maps (yes even that pile of garbage Derail) because it can really destroy people long range. Just remember the gun DOES have a decent amount of recoil so you can't just spray medium-long range. Two shot bursts works well imo.

Just reporting back here...thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I've been running a UMP kit in a vast majority of maps (taking cork's advice here). Here's the kit I ultimately settled down with:

UMP + Silencer
Raffica + Silencer
Clay & Flash
Marathon
Coldblooded
Commando

I tried running this kit with Lightweight in place of CB, but it was a mess. I was having more success w CB. In the beginning, I was not doing too great with this kit - I think I was being overly aggressive. But after some adjustment to play (sneak flanking), my play started stabilizing. I began pulling some decent numbers and a few very nice games here and there (e.g., > 15, < 5). I don't feel confidant with the distance shots yet, so I typically switch to the Raffica (I'm considering getting rid of the Silencer). In any event, thanks for the fun kit :D Nice change of pace to my AR kits and OMA kits.

I consider myself one of the best players out there. Seriously, almost every match i go 2:1 k/d ratio and am usually first place in all games. Heck, the accolade i have the most is the one with the most kills. I don't camp btw and use stinger and low killstreak bonuses.

divisionbyzorro said:
So I've gotten to where the only two remaining attachments on the AK-47 are the Thermal sight and Extended Mags. Holy shit. The ACOG is even worse on the AK-47 than I thought it would be. How is that even possible?

Other random note:

Some suggestions:

I think the tripwire is a solid idea, but it does kind of promote camping so maybe not. Besides, even if a claymore is shot or doesn't kill your opponent, you still hear it and that lets you know someone's coming towards you. Not bad though. Would be good for snipers.

EMP grenades wouldn't do much really. Destroying sentry guns would be nice since it's difficult to destroy one without wasting ammo or getting up close. But you never really see many sentry guns around. The loss of RDS barely does anything, and unless you chucked it from far away and without the grenade trail being seen, a HBS user would know where you're coming from anyway. It's more because EMP sucks so much as a killstreak reward than it being a bad idea. The only good thing about EMP is the ability to take down killstreak rewards and you wouldn't get that with the grenades (besides sentry guns).

Juggernaut suit might be overpowered I think. If it's anything like the special ops version than it takes too much of a beating. Unless it was an 11 killstreak probably. That might be fair given the power of the chopper gunner and AC-130. Should have a 45-60 sec time limit I reckon.

I do like the last one though. Don't think it's overpowered - you lose your stopping power, cold blooded, lightweight, danger close, etc. Promotes proper play of objective games. I like it.

rodvik

eek5 said:
I think that's a bad way to rationalize it. For most guns the silencer just shortens the damage dropoff range but for shotguns it actually cuts the range of the shotgun down by quite a significant amount. (there is a cutoff where the buckshot stops traveling) In HC I would think you would want to use the shotgun damage to your advantage since the fringe boundary of damage/nodamage would probably still kill in HC and since it is OHK people won't be around to hear anything.

yup , fair point. certainly the AA + silencer means sometimes you cannot hit the other side of the room. others are not so bad though. everything for me though in that build is based around silence as ideally you can clear out several enemies without alerting them. pistols are also a decent option.

rodvik

corkscrewblow said:
Dude, everything about that gun is just terrible. It's like taking the ACR with it's shitty damage and removing the best part about it, the incredible accuracy. You're just left with this abomination of a gun that I don't think anyone should use except for some lolz.

True. I am using it now (winning with it just feels good) but its the worst AR imho. Kinda ok as an SMG but even there the low mobility is a drag.

xtheEnemy

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Level 67 and I'm grinding. What do I get when I prestige besides the ability to earn more callsigns/emblems? Any other benefits?

the ability to have more fun with other guns and class builds are the real fun thing about prestiging.

IIRC you get an additional slot the first prestige, with +1 after every other prestige(1st,3rd,etc). So after #10 you'll have all 10 available slots open. The challenges you unlock are pretty sweet, but you unlock all of those after the first time.

Also that 22 days for prestige 10 is ridiculous. I'm already at level 50 on prestige 3 w/ 6days15hours playtime.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Unless Prstiges require significantly less XP, I don't see myself ever doing it. I love my guns too much to lose them 10 times over.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Unless Prstiges require significantly less XP, I don't see myself ever doing it. I love my guns too much to lose them 10 times over.

Well it kind of does since you have a lot more challenges that open up.

Nelo Ice

Banned
i think everyone should prestige at least once just for the extra challenges and the bonus class slot

otherwise everything u do wont count if u ever wanted the prestige titles/emblems for guns killstreaks etc

careful

I don't usually play Ground War, but I played a bunch today because our party was too big.
It's such a clusterfuck. I felt like I was playing Killzone again. Most of these maps are definitely not designed for these higher player counts.

BKXB said:
No it doesn't. I haven't heard any mention of this anywhere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DSvlq_sEf0 - skip to 1:24
My own experience would also agree with the youtube video test. Holo FAMAS will still have this random hitch every now and then.

kuYuri

Chittagong said:
Does someone know whether this game has any sort of skill based matchmaking?

It seems to me that the games are completely random. All night I've been in games with Level 9s matched 7th Level prestiges. Every game has one guy who gets around 30 kills with two or three deaths.

I'm 58 myself and some 5th Level prestiges are way too hard for me to fight against.

I wonder, how can a game with such a rubbish system be so popular?

It doesn't match you based on rank, it matches you based on an invisible skill ranking. Trueskill on 360 and a made-up rank system for PC and PS3. Whether it's effective or not is very random.

ZeroRay

I actually like the game matching me up with better players, makes me get better instead of stagnating at the same level.

But I can see why it would piss some people off when they're not having fun.

eek5

Strider2K99 said:
It doesn't match you based on rank, it matches you based on an invisible skill ranking. Trueskill on 360 and a made-up rank system for PC and PS3. Whether it's effective or not is very random.
When I matchmake mercenary TDM on 360 I feel like the games are very competitive. A lot of the videos I record are me playing mTDM and despite what comments say (the players are duds, noobs, idiots, etc) they are pretty decent. Generally the matches are pretty close (well within 10 kills and often changing leads multiple times mid-match) and when the players switch up a lot it gets pretty fun.

Matchmaking with a party though is a whole different story...

Accident

Strider2K99 said:

I started playing one day with my cousin account on 360, he has a 0.70 K/D ratio and has yet to reach first prestige. I got seven nukes in a couple of hours while playing team deathmatch and ended every match with at least a 4.0 ratio. There is definitely a skill based matchmaking but i guess sometimes it can put you in the wrong game if it doesn't find a game with a good connection.

This2x4Skeleton

Neo Member
Holepunch said:
I'm probably VERY late to this but I was just looking into buying this for PC. I live in Canada.

Steam: $59.99 US

EB US Console Versions: $49.99 + free shipping

EB US PC Version: $59.99 for DOWNLOADING

EB Canada: $64.99 Canadian

Amazon.com: $49.00 US

Amazon.ca Console Versions: $49.99 Canadian

Amazon.ca PC version: $54.99 Canadian

Not only does Activision seem to hate PC gamers they have a fucking vendetta against Canadian PC gamers. Not only that, this game actually sold well which means this might be the new standard of pricing bullshit. Goddamnit GAF, at least tell me the PC gamers didn't support this.

lolwut. It's always been like this. Every game I've bought in the last few years has been 60-80$

xtheEnemy

Banned
got2bekidding said:
Sticking people with semtex doesn't get enough love. It puts a smile on my face every time it happens. I'm glad they included it.

not enough love? It's the most used equipment in MW2 based on my experience.

2nd is the Claymore.

xtheEnemy said:
not enough love? It's the most used equipment in MW2 based on my experience.

2nd is the Claymore.
There is a difference between use and love. Sure it gets used, but not many gush over how awesome it was to be included in the game. Plus I was talking about the act of sticking and not just equipping. I would like to think that most people use them as grenades that stick and not just regular grenades, chucking them this way and that.

Do people who 'dropshoot' exclusively use the tactical button layout or can it be achieved with the regular setup? I'm talking 360 controller btw.

I'm in reasonable shape, 1.69 kd, but I can go into lobbys and just get scat party'd on and i've noticed the top players use the dropshot, it seems to be preventing me from getting a nuke right now, so do you guys think it's essential to get used to a new layout to make that further step?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
celestial body said:
Do people who 'dropshoot' exclusively use the tactical button layout or can it be achieved with the regular setup? I'm talking 360 controller btw.

I'm in reasonable shape, 1.69 kd, but I can go into lobbys and just get scat party'd on and i've noticed the top players use the dropshot, it seems to be preventing me from getting a nuke right now, so do you guys think it's essential to get used to a new layout to make that further step?

While the drop shot is a nice occasional extra few kills thanks to unprepared victims, I don't think its going to represent any kind of significant improvement. Most encounters in the game occur way too fast for people to drop in time or at a range where going prone isn't making any difference other than cover.

I think you'd be better off thinking about the situations which get you killed and try to negate/avoid them. dropshots are useful when you've been caught unawares by an enemy head on. for me this is rare and its usually over before one of us can react, if I didnt get a shot off in time, I wouldn't have gone prone in time.

most of the time I avoid this by being careful with my movement round the map.

maybe a dropshot guy will argue this but I've rarely been outdone by a dropshot and theres only been a handful of times where a dropshot move has bailed me out.

Ovid

corkscrewblow said:
Yeah. I tried giving the F2000 a chance for a day or so but it just sucks. It seems to be only good at mid-range to close range engagements. Long range, forget it. You might as well use a pistol. For a gun given so late in the game it should've been alot more rewarding like the AK. Try it with the following set up:

Attachment --> FMJ
Perks -->Slight of Hand, Stopping Power and Steady Aim.

Deadly.

Top Bottom