• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

tarius1210 said:
Yeah. I tried giving the F2000 a chance for a day or so but it just sucks. It seems to be only good at mid-range to close range engagements. Long range, forget it. You might as well use a pistol. For a gun given so late in the game it should've been alot more rewarding like the AK. Try it with the following set up:

Attachment --> FMJ
Perks -->Slight of Hand, Stopping Power and Steady Aim.

Deadly.

I find that if you're going to roll with FMJ, you should typically use scavenger since you'll need to be spraying through walls to get any real use out of it.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
PetriP-TNT said:
C4's are the most underrated little things in this game. So... much...fun!

I intend to give them a go at some stage, I just find hanging around to use them a little ... unnatural. I can see them being great for protecting objectives though.

any tips on how you use them and where you find your fun?

JaMarco

salva said:
I consider myself one of the best players out there. Seriously, almost every match i go 2:1 k/d ratio and am usually first place in all games. Heck, the accolade i have the most is the one with the most kills. I don't camp btw and use stinger and low killstreak bonuses.
What modes do you play?

aku:jiki

kaizoku said:
Domination, of course. Put it on flags you control and you don't even have to be in the same quarter of the map to get kills!

Relentlessly putting C4's in the ceiling by B on Quarry = your team wins the match. :D

Roxas

salva said:
I consider myself one of the best players out there. Seriously, almost every match i go 2:1 k/d ratio and am usually first place in all games. Heck, the accolade i have the most is the one with the most kills. I don't camp btw and use stinger and low killstreak bonuses.

Oooh look at me

moojito

I let my xbl gold subscription run out a few days ago since mw2 was pretty much all I was playing on my xbox, and I have a backlog of single player stuff piling up. I'm starting to get a twitch in my left eye, and find myself watching seananner's lustrous beard on youtube to get my fix. I don't think I'm going to be able to hold out long :<

Aurora

celestial body said:
Do people who 'dropshoot' exclusively use the tactical button layout or can it be achieved with the regular setup? I'm talking 360 controller btw.

I'm in reasonable shape, 1.69 kd, but I can go into lobbys and just get scat party'd on and i've noticed the top players use the dropshot, it seems to be preventing me from getting a nuke right now, so do you guys think it's essential to get used to a new layout to make that further step?
It's 100 times easier with the Tactical layout. It didn't take me too long too get used to it really, maybe a few hours. Once you get used to it you realise how much better it is than default.

TheOrangeKid007 said:
Is using the riot shield with the throwing knife considered cheap? I do this all the time in domination matches and I know it has to frustrate people.
Nah not really. Throwing Knife and C4 are pretty much the only ways to play Riot Shield and not be completely lame.

TheOrangeKid007 said:
Is using the riot shield with the throwing knife considered cheap? I do this all the time in domination matches and I know it has to frustrate people.
Hell no dude, it's the opposite! Nobody disrespects the Riot Shield as far as I've seen.

Aurora said:
Once you get used to it you realise how much better it is than default.
:lol

You should play me when I'm knife-running. That would be awesome for me.

Why did you guys say sub machine guns suck again? I read a few pages back some guy enjoyed using the vector and he's right it's really fun. Whats so bad about them?

kaizoku said:
Best thing ever:
1. Plant C4 on a popular hallway
2. Wait for an enemy
3. Shoot the C4

2nd best thing ever:
1. Someone sees you, start running.
2. Throw the c4
3. Wait a second
4. Blow the c4 for an awesome kill.

3rd best thing ever:
1. Plant a c4 in a random place
2. Run around and blow the c4 for LOLZ

Also, the best (recent) moment was when I got 2 triple kills with one C4 in one match. I used to think that C4 were the most useless things ever but they have quite a good range plus they can be used rather tactically even if you aren't camping.

celestial body said:
Do people who 'dropshoot' exclusively use the tactical button layout or can it be achieved with the regular setup? I'm talking 360 controller btw.

I'm in reasonable shape, 1.69 kd, but I can go into lobbys and just get scat party'd on and i've noticed the top players use the dropshot, it seems to be preventing me from getting a nuke right now, so do you guys think it's essential to get used to a new layout to make that further step?
I dropshot whenever I can and it works most of the time. Yes, using the tactical setup

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
zomg Predator->attack helicopter->Pave Low FTMW. just got my best game ever, 39-9 (had like a 23 kill streak before dying, but me & the pave low mowed down about 10 more on the second life after that:lol ).:D

J2d

Anyone have any tips on the MG Master challenge? Outside of the mach5 etc this one seems to be the hardest challenge for me.
kaizoku said:
I intend to give them a go at some stage, I just find hanging around to use them a little ... unnatural. I can see them being great for protecting objectives though.

Riot shield+ scavenger + danger close, I didn't even have time to use my kill streaks when I was playing skidrow today because they just kept rushing.

jiien

JustHadToJoin said:
Why did you guys say sub machine guns suck again? I read a few pages back some guy enjoyed using the vector and he's right it's really fun. Whats so bad about them?

Submachine guns have awful accuracy, making them useless beyond close range. ARs (especially the TAR) just do better close range than submachine guns do (and can extend to mid/long range, in cases).

The above statement applies to every submachine gun except for the UMP, which is a monster.

Anyway, the only benefit to certain submachine guns is the ability to spray and pray (the P90, for example, is made for this), and the extra mobility. With Marathon and Lightweight (get the Pro versions for even more effectiveness), you can flank all day (though you can with an AR, the mobility difference is noticeable). Also, the UMP is one of the few guns in the game that can be used viably without Stopping Power; that is, it's damage does not benefit from SP as much as other guns do, and will still be on equal footing in firefights without it.

The MP5K has ridiculous accuracy, as anything more than a really short burst fire renders it useless beyond really close quarter encounters. In fact, for the MP5K, you might as well use it Akimbo, since you never should be aiming down the sight with it. Seriously.

The Vector has really good accuracy (low recoil), but really, really low damage. Except to have to pump a lot of bullets into someone to down them (even worse without Stopping Power). If I recall, it is one of the lowest damage per bullet guns in the game.

The P90 has a great magazine (never need Scavenger with it, really), but it's damage and accuracy are subpar. It's not a bad gun, it's just that the UMP does it better (even without the super large magazine of the P90).

The Mini-Uzi, in my opinion, is the best SMG besides the UMP. It has decent damage, decent accuracy. However, again, the problem with all of these SMGs is that the UMP just does it best in every single way, and an AR (the TAR, specifically) just has better damage and accuracy (and fire rate, in some cases), and can double as a longer ranged gun (which the SMGs are god awful at, except for the UMP of course).

Soooooooooo, yeah.

Edit: None of the above isn't to say that you can't use any of the SMGs beyond the UMP effectively. On the contrary, I've used all of the extensively just to mess around and get a feel for them (and to screw over anyone who wants to pick up my gun, muhahaha), and it's not impossible to do well with them. It obviously depends on the player more than the gun. However, for those that just aren't so great at the game, it may come down to having a better gun which is easier to control, and the SMGs are certainly not easy to use/apply. They take extra knowledge of the maps (how to avoid longer range encounters) and extra control of your gun (awful recoil, when to ADS and when not to). Both of those things sound elementary, but they really aren't at all.

A few questions:

1) Do you appear on the radar while running (sprinting)?

2) Any good builds with AR for a newb (around 25 atm)? I'm always around 1.0/1.1 KDR, while I'm mostly at 1.5-1.7 in most other shooters. Any tips? I'm getting this impression that whenever I kill someone, someone else comes behind me/flanks me and kills me... Gameplay seems vastly different than in CoD4. :|

JustHadToJoin said:

SMGs do not suck. They offer fantastic mobility and great close-mid range power.

I think it comes down to knowing which gun to use on which map. For example, I almost always use an SMG build on maps like Skidrow or Scrapyard, where most of the combat is short to medium range (even Invasion lends itself well to SMGs depending upon how you move through the map).

whitehawk

Banned
enzo_gt said:
What was your setup?
Let's see..

UMP + silencer
Raffica (didn't use at all)

tactical + smoke

Marathon
Stopping Power Pro
Ninja Pro

Painkiller

And of course harrier > chopper gunner > Nuke.

I was pretty lucky, because eventually everyone just started spawning in 2 different places, which were almost right next to each other. I was racking up kills like never before. My new killstreak is 39 :lol

jiien

Lagspike_exe said:
A few questions:

1) Do you appear on the radar while running (sprinting)?

2) Any good builds with AR for a newb (around 25 atm)? I'm always around 1.0/1.1 KDR, while I'm mostly at 1.5-1.7 in most other shooters. Any tips?

1. No, you don't. Only when shooting (without a Silencer), or if the enemy has a UAV. Your position (in the case of an enemy UAV) is updated every few seconds (three, I think?).

2. Depends on which AR you'd like to use. For the SCAR, which is widely used, try Scavenger or Sleight of Hand, Stopping Power, and Ninja or Commando. I consider that to be a pretty basic build. If you expect to die, on average, after killing one and a half people, then Scavenger might not be that useful for you, in which case, you're better off with Sleight of Hand (less chance of being caught in the middle of a reload, and better chance to have a full magazine to spray). Stopping Power is mostly a must, though I would say it depends on the other team's killstreaks or how you like to play (if they like to put out UAVs or you're a very cautious, sneaking around type player, get some Cold Blooded on). Lastly, Commando is definitely one of the best Yellow Perks overall, for any build. Use Steady Aim if you plan to use an AR like the TAR (where hip firing is more viable), or Ninja (specifically Pro) for the silent footsteps.

As for attachments, I would try to learn how to play without a sight (unless you are using the FAL, wherein I would use a Holographic since it actually increases the minimum damage it will do), and either use a Silencer, or if using the SCAR, extended magazines. If you think you're good at one-one firefights, a silencer might not be as useful to you, since you don't care if people know where you are, and expect to beat them when they come to you. This is only viable if you have a good handle on map structure. If you are less confident, use a silencer, and try to avoid running head on into people.

Edit: Small edits for clarity.

jiien said:
2. Depends on which AR you'd like to use. For the SCAR, which is widely used, try Scavenger or Sleight of Hand, Stopping Power, and Ninja or Commando. I consider that to be a pretty basic build. If you expect to die, on average, after killing one and a half people, then Scavenger might not be that useful for you, in which case, you're better off with Sleight of Hand (less chance of being caught in the middle of a reload, and better chance to have a full magazine to spray). Stopping Power is mostly a must, though I would say it depends on the other team's killstreaks or how you like to play (if they like to put out UAVs or you're a very cautious, sneaking around type player, get some Cold Blooded on). Lastly, Commando is definitely one of the best Yellow Perks overall, for any build. Use Steady Aim if you plan to use an AR like the TAR (where hip firing is more viable), or Ninja (specifically Pro) for the silent footsteps.

As for attachments, I would try to learn how to play without a sight (unless you are using the FAL, wherein I would use a Holographic since it actually increases the minimum damage it will do), and either use a Silencer, or if using the SCAR, extended magazines. If you think you're good at one-one firefights, a silencer might not be as useful to you, since you don't care if people know where you are, and expect to beat them when they come to you. This is only viable if you have a good handle on map structure. If you are less confident, use a silencer, and try to avoid running head on into people.

Edit: Small edits for clarity.

Thanks, gonna try this stuff.

jiien

Lagspike_exe said:
Thanks, gonna try this stuff.

Oh, forgot to mention, don't use Commando unless you are comfortable with knifing. Commando extends that knifing range considerably, but unless you have a feel for what that is, you either won't get any use out of it (by knifing when already close to the victim), or you'll miss (by trying to knife from far away). If you know your maps, can avoid close range battles (and like to), and know when to (and like to) switch to a secondary like a shotgun (or maybe a handgun like the Magnum), then Commando will just waste that slot. Better to go with Ninja or Steady Aim.

While we're talking about Yellow perks, Scrambler is only useful on multi-level maps with a coordinated team (otherwise it just gives away your position), and Last Stand, in my opinion, isn't that great because it only kicks in when you're essentially already dead. The idea would be to never have it kick in, and if you play well enough, it won't. Sitrep is very powerful and useful in the right hands, but takes some getting used to, and in my opinion, is not as universally applicable as Steady Aim or Ninja Pro. Other better players might disagree though. I don't use headphones, or have a good surround sound system, so Sitrep Pro might be disorienting for me.

FabCam

Map knowledge is everything in this game. On Derail, I can go 25+:2 as standard. Claymores are so incredibly good if you know how to use them. I suck dick on other maps though. I have no idea how to play Sub Base, rarely go above 1:1 :lol

whitehawk

Banned
FabCam said:
Map knowledge is everything in this game. On Derail, I can go 25+:2 as standard. Claymores are so incredibly good if you know how to use them. I suck dick on other maps though. I have no idea how to play Sub Base, rarely go above 1:1 :lol
Same. I always do good on scrapyard. And while I usually do bad on estate, I did 75 - 18 on it the other day =/

Aurora said:
Tactical is superior to Default for every single build except a knifing build.
My point was that I will kill you if you have tactical on.

Anyone have any tips on the MG Master challenge? Outside of the mach5 etc this one seems to be the hardest challenge for me.
It's not that hard. Just camp an MG on Wasteland for the whole match and you'll eventually have 5 guys run past you. Have a friend guarding your side if you feel you need it.

jiien said:
Also, the UMP is one of the few guns in the game that can be used viably without Stopping Power;
I have to say that I think this attitude and addiction to Stopping Power is kinda ridiculous. All the guns in the game, bar snipers depending on how you play, are fine without Stopping Power.

Aurora said:
Spas-12 owns your knifing ass.
You won't hit that properly if you're gonna lie yourself down when I come running at top speed but I'm totally used to aiming down and stabbing dropshotters, so I'm cool.

A little late on this, but I was reading the last page, talking about FMJ. FMJ isn't that hard to use, and every weapon after the first gets a little bit easier. The most important thing is just to remember you have it on - rather than shooting someone's exposed head, try to shoot their chest that is in cover (though obviously easier said than done, entirely possible to do.) Shooting through chain link fence will sometimes work, and shooting through thin sheet metal is the most reliable method.

Scavenger Pro and Stopping Power help speed up the process - just keeping firing, forget about how many rounds you have used.

And, recognize positions that work. Domination can be beneficial, because of the general clustering of people. On Quarry, hanging out below the metal walkway that links the building near C to the B building can be very effective - I think I once got at least 5 penetration kills in a game there, and might have pulled off an EAD as well. On Scrapyard, shooting into the center fuselage can often work. On Terminal, hang out on top of that building in the middle of the map with the gas tank, and pepper the plane.

And one final thing I've found - try turning on SitRep. There are very few people who stray far from their claymores - if you see the bright red highlight, you probably have got the person as well.

careful

G18 is a bad ass gun. I was working on unlocking Akimbo on it and absolutely wrecked shop on Scrapyard and Invasion. Not sure what's the RPM on this bad boy, but it feels ridiculous on a pistol. BRRRRRRRRRAP :D

Jrmint

Just started using the USP .45 again yesterday, that gun is an absolute monster, espec with Stopping Power, I think it kills in 2 shots, 3 tops.

I like using it too bc it makes me feel like Snake :lol espec with the silencer on.

Well, I'm starting to finally get my kill death ratio close to 1. My only online FPS from 2005-present was Halo 2, Halo 3, and ODST. It's taking longer than I thought to get used to this.

I just need to unlock some anti-air weapons already :lol

They really need to make stiffer penalties for leaving a match, just no match bonus and a loss on your record that no one cares about are pathetic. I'm getting a little tired of joining a match and it's 4 on 6 with the other team just owning the airspace.

Mileena

Banned
Red Blaster said:
They really need to make stiffer penalties for leaving a match, just no match bonus and a loss on your record that no one cares about are pathetic. I'm getting a little tired of joining a match and it's 4 on 6 with the other team just owning the airspace.
The worst is joining a SD match when the other team has already won 3 rounds. What I absolutely can't stand either is joining a game of Demolition after it's already started/on the second half.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Red Blaster said:
To be honest, I'm kind of sick of getting automatically thrown into no win situations. When the matchmaking throws me into a game where my team is shitting it up (no wonder there's an open space for me to fill), I don't really want to stick with that game. there's also gametypes/maps I'm shit at that I get thrown into with no option to choose, I leave most of the time because I know I'm gonna do shit in that game.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
To be honest, I'm kind of sick of getting automatically thrown into no win situations. When the matchmaking throws me into a game where my team is shitting it up (no wonder there's an open space for me to fill), I don't really want to stick with that game. there's also gametypes/maps I'm shit at that I get thrown into with no option to choose, I leave most of the time because I know I'm gonna do shit in that game.

This is why I think something like a negative XP penalty or a wait time before joining another game would deter people from leaving.

Aurora

Red Blaster said:
If the penalties were worse it would be absolutely awful. 90% of the reason I quit any given match is because I'm thrown into games where the scores are ridiculously one-sided and I have no chance to win. I either stick it out, get a negative K/D, explode with rage and get a loss, or quit immediately and spare all of that bullshit.

If they made it so that you could never join a match in session, or at the very least you could only be thrown in very early in a game, then I'd agree with you. Otherwise, no way.

RavenFox

Banned
eternaLightness said:
Dagnabbit! Had a 15 killstreak with the spas-12 when all of a sudden I get signed out of psn. Wtf! :(
That happened to me twice today and I was like wtf. The game kept on playing for a bit before disconnecting. So the second time it happened I went to the xmb while in game and logged back in then all was well.

Mileena

Banned
It's the newest patch, it happens to me sometimes as well. Yesterday I was 74-15 in Demo and got signed out of PSN then lost all my match bonus and got kicked out of the game. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

VaLiancY

Aurora said:
If the penalties were worse it would be absolutely awful. 90% of the reason I quit any given match is because I'm thrown into games where the scores are ridiculously one-sided and I have no chance to win. I either stick it out, get a negative K/D, explode with rage and get a loss, or quit immediately and spare all of that bullshit.

Same. I just quit a Domination game on Quarry because people don't realize if you hold B, the game is won. I quit that one, I join a queue to join a Terminal-TDM game and then I'm in a Wasteland Domination game with an enemy chopper gunner and AC-130 in the air.

Aurora said:

If they made it so that you could never join a match in session, or at the very least you could only be thrown in very early in a game, then I'd agree with you. Otherwise, no way.

That's why I think a penalty should be there to stop people from leaving in the first place, meaning there wouldn't be so many 4 on 6 matches going on that you'd get thrown into.

Edit: Actually for this to work, the matchmaking would have to be decent and not the current garbage the ignores any form of proper team balancing.

Red Blaster said:
That's why I think a penalty should be there to stop people from leaving in the first place, meaning there wouldn't be so many 4 on 6 matches going on that you'd get thrown into.

Edit: Actually for this to work, the matchmaking would have to be decent and not the current garbage the ignores any form of proper team balancing.

Here's my suggestion:

1) Quitting a match that you were present for the beginning of gives you XP debt. You must pay back this XP debt before you can continue leveling. You can still complete challenges, but won't receive the rewards for those challenges (attachments, titles, emblems) until your XP debt is payed back. This is to hopefully motivate people to not leave matches in the first place.

2) Entering a match that has already been decided puts you in a "no contest" scenario. It will not affect your W/L ratio in any way, and you will receive an extra XP bonus for being a good sport and sticking it out through to the end. You'll receive an even bigger bonus if your team wins after being placed in what the game determines to be an "unwinnable" scenario.

3) If you're placed into a match in the middle, you'll start with your death streak active. It's not much, but it's something.

ZZMitch

Eh, I love SMGs... I really enjoy just running around maps spraying people with the MP5K... my most used gun in the game by far.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I don't know how many of you guys use Riot Shield ever, I only do it because I'm not all that concerned with my k/d, but using it on Domination on Invasion might be the most fun I've had in the game in a long time. There's a dumpster on the wall next to B, just go in that corner with whatever equipment you feel like. C4 for kills, Blast Shield for survival, Throwing Knife for being a baller, and just hold it down, the entire game. People just keep coming, and half the time they don't even see you, it's hilarious. Very fast way to finish your Riot Shield challenges.

Fugu

jiien said:
Submachine guns have awful accuracy, making them useless beyond close range. ARs (especially the TAR) just do better close range than submachine guns do (and can extend to mid/long range, in cases).
I'm not sure you're using SMGs correctly.

Also, the UMP is one of the few guns in the game that can be used viably without Stopping Power; that is, it's damage does not benefit from SP as much as other guns do, and will still be on equal footing in firefights without it.
Because the UMP deals 40 damage max, stopping power actually makes a larger difference with the UMP than it does with almost any other gun in the game; it makes a max damage hit do 56, which is enough to kill in two shots. Combined with a fast rate of fire, that makes the UMP one of the best if not the best short range guns in the game. Without it, the only way to get a two shot kill is to shoot someone twice in the head at close range. Stopping power gives the gun a definite edge over ARs, which is important considering the territory that ARs occupy and the territory that the UMP occupies is very simillar.

The MP5K has ridiculous accuracy, as anything more than a really short burst fire renders it useless beyond really close quarter encounters. In fact, for the MP5K, you might as well use it Akimbo, since you never should be aiming down the sight with it. Seriously.
Don't fire so fast. That's the general rule behind using SMGs I suppose but it's most relevant to the MP5K because its recoil is off the wall.

The Vector has really good accuracy (low recoil), but really, really low damage. Except to have to pump a lot of bullets into someone to down them (even worse without Stopping Power). If I recall, it is one of the lowest damage per bullet guns in the game.
The vector kills in four hits or less with stopping power (Stopping power pushes it to 3 at short range, whereas, again, without stopping power, the only way to get a shot in three kills is to get three consecutive headshots at short range) which gives it one of the highest damage to fire rate (1000 RPM). It's unfair to take only the damage into consideration considering the ratio of the bullets required to kill between the UMP and the Vector is 2:3 (in the UMP's favour) when the Vector fires more than three bullets in the time it takes the vector to fire two. Combine that with the fact that the Vector has almost no recoil whatsoever and lends itself better to long-range firefights (because you can move while you shoot more effectively while wasting less effort correcting your recoil) and strictly statistically speaking, the Vector seems to come out on top.

The P90 has a great magazine (never need Scavenger with it, really), but it's damage and accuracy are subpar. It's not a bad gun, it's just that the UMP does it better (even without the super large magazine of the P90).
The P90 has a ton of things on the UMP.
Yeah, the UMP has a definite damage edge on the P90 (Stopping power damage 42-56 for the UMP and 28-38) but the P90 has a substantial fire rate advantage (>4:3 ratio) as well as a hugely predictable recoil pattern. With most shots killing in 3 hits (headshots in two, max range in four), the P90 is certainly a capable short range gun. But the real reason that the P90 is the best gun ever and that everyone really should use this gun is because it's basically a sniper rifle minus all of the drawbacks of wielding a sniper rifle.
smgs.jpg

This is the bullet marks left by two clips of each SMG fired from the same distance at the same wall while ADS and squeezing the trigger. Note the extremely predictable P90 pattern: With practice, you can learn to compensate pretty easily for the recoil and shoot in a more or less straight line from any distance because the recoil will almost always kick right. While it's fairly unrealistic to expect ACR-like accuracy from the P90, this combined with the fact that you don't *have* to squeeze the trigger (and at most ranges, shouldn't), means that the ability of the P90 to hit things at any distance is limited largely by your ability with the gun. There are very few guns in the game that have recoil patterns that are predictable; most of them move out of the center randomly (like the UMP) which makes it impossible to predict the direction that the gun will kick. However, by aiming at the chest (with some exceptions where you absolutely know you can land two headshots) and being ready to compensate for the kick, you can be assured that the recoil will not interfere.

This is also helped by the fact that the P90 takes a silencer extremely well (the visual [but not real] recoil is reduced, which is an added bonus) and that it has an absolutely gigantic clip with a short reload (if you cancel it and don't stupidly deplete your entire clip). The P90 gives you the freedom to fire as many bullets as you want (within reasonable limits) without having to worry about reloading or being spotted on the map.

In my opinion, the P90 is easily one of the game's best gun; it's not nearly as newbie friendly as it was in CoD4 (due to the fire rate relative to other guns being massively toned down) which is why it doesn't get a lot of use, but the gun's bizarre accuracy makes it a solid choice for a player willing to master it.

The Mini-Uzi, in my opinion, is the best SMG besides the UMP. It has decent damage, decent accuracy. However, again, the problem with all of these SMGs is that the UMP just does it best in every single way, and an AR (the TAR, specifically) just has better damage and accuracy (and fire rate, in some cases), and can double as a longer ranged gun (which the SMGs are god awful at, except for the UMP of course).
The Mini-Uzi has a lot of the same benefits as the P90: Fast fire rate (the MU is slightly faster: 888 RPM vs. 850), predictable kick (up instead of right), and good with a silencer. Indeed, they are very similar guns as they both deal the exact same damage at the exact same ranges. The only real differences are that the MU has a substantially slower reload (assuming you are cancelling both to maximum effectiveness, a P90 reload is 1.7 seconds versus 2.2 for the MU) and the MU has a smaller clip. What puts the MU more or less on par with the P90 is that for a newer player, the MU kick is certainly easier to predict (unlike the P90 which occasionally swings up, the MU will almost always kick in its primary direction); the MU will also give you more more or less recoil-free bullets (you'll usually only get two with the P90 whereas the MU will give you three which is enough to kill someone). The P90 is, in theory, slightly worse than the MU in close range (considering the slightly faster fire rate), but in practice the fire rate difference is negligible and the larger clip generally gives the P90 an advantage in more realistic scenarios.

At the end of the day, looking at the game's stats reveal that the SMGs are more or less designed to be used with stopping power. Without it, guns like the Vector would be absolutely worthless (five shots at most ranges for a kill? Sounds like fun). As well, SMGs are the only guns that still work effectively with a silencer; with the notable exception of the MP5K, every SMG loses damage rapidly before the midrange so using a silencer will only impact your damage if you manage to hit your opponent somewhere between short and mid range. With the Vector in particular, this range is laughably small (only a few feet), so there's no reason not to use a silencer.

SMGs are extremely viable in MW2; they're not nearly as widespread as SMGs were in CoD4 only because they've developed a learning curve in a game that also includes things like the ACR and the tube which take almost no real specific dexterity.

Aselith

My new favorite setup: No Country for Old Turtles. SPAS with a silencer with a riot shield and Stopping Power + Marathon + Commando. I was doing very well with that and you get it all early so it's good for me as I just Prestieged. Seems to work extremely well in Domination games.

One thing I discovered today and I dunno if it's well known but I figured I'd spread it around. If you lay prone on the ground with the shield on your back, you will be completely protected from Harriers and auto helicopters unless they get an extreme angle on you. I went from about 1000 damage absorbed to 20000 damage absorbed in two games. Seems to be very effective for locking them down til your team hits them with anti-air. In addition, you get 50 points every few seconds sort of ticking for about 200 to 250 points then it drops to about 4 or 5 points. Not too bad a gain for just sitting there.

Top Bottom