• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

ArjanN

CrazedArabMan said:
They took the realistic aspect, and threw it right out the window.

Meh, multiplayer was never that realistic, I don't think you respawn in an actual war for one thing.

This arrived yesterday in the post for my housemate, he's away until tomorrow though :(

w8022s.jpg

Think he ordered from that coolshop.co.uk wesbite or whatever they're called.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dynamic3 said:
They have since the first one dude.

Well, the first one only had three. Fixing using them after death to get more is a good move, but now since they have so much more and one of them ends the game, it's pretty crazy. I thought before the nuke was supposed to be 25 kills just by you with no killstreak influence, which would have been better and truly earned.

Dynamic3

Papercuts said:
Well, the first one only had three. Fixing using them after death to get more is a good move, but now since they have so much more and one of them ends the game, it's pretty crazy. I thought before the nuke was supposed to be 25 kills just by you with no killstreak influence, which would have been better and truly earned.

The nuke is dumb, I'm not going to argue that.

Dynamic3 said:
They have since the first one dude.

There were never controllable AC130s, and TACTICAL NUKES in CoD4. The killstreaks needed tuning with all of these new rewards added, but all they really did was throw them on top of the CoD4 model.

Az

My stats won't be reset? Ahh fuck I was taking it really easy, experimenting a lot.

And the heartbeat sensor is a must have in S&D.

TheAzRim said:
My stats won't be reset? Ahh fuck I was taking it really easy, experimenting a lot.

And the heartbeat sensor is a must have in S&D.

Yeah I figured the heartbeat sensor would come in handy in that mode......

God I can't wait for 2morrow night at midnight.

Dynamic3 said:
Never said there were

I never said you did. The point was that the killstreak rewards in CoD4 weren't NEARLY as game controlling as the ones in MW2. Leaving the same streak mechanics in was a bad idea IMO.

zero2000

Banned
nskinnear said:
Sorry if this has already been asked, but when does the review embargo lift?

Gametrailer's review goes up in 1 day, 7 hours, and 30 minutes.

Considering their ridiculous obsession with the game, I am assuming that is exactly when the review embargo is lifted, lol.

Robot 492

Banned
zero2000 said:

Considering their ridiculous obsession with the game, I am assuming that is exactly when the review embargo is lifted, lol.
I shall await their perfect score.

Haven't gone through the whole thread so i apologise if this has been adressed, but are there any reviews/impressions of the Madcatz controller thats being released? I'm not so interested in the game but really like the look of the pad and thought it might be good for L4D2 :D

Omikron

Not sure if this has been reported... deserves cross-posting in the official thread IMO.

http://www.mapmodnews.com/article.php/Modern-Warfare-2-PC-release-start-errors

For those of you who are PC gamers, you should wait on buying Modern Warfare 2 from the retailers. The PC version comes with 2 discs but it seems that only the actually game is working and not the extra content.

The first DVD/Disc is about 6.9 GB which seems to be the standard size for games that are coming out now. Unfortunately, each drive refuses to recognize the DVD. The DVD drives rattle around and you can hear the disc just clattering in the DVD Drive. Now when something like this happens, questions comes to mind and that is if this is a manufacturing defect and if there are other discs out there that have this problem.

A German game magazine reports the same problem. Every drive in their editorial office refuses the second DVD (they have seven PC's and four copies Modern Warfare 2 for PC). They say it’s definitly a production error.

Robot 492

Banned
Charmicarmicat said:
Haven't gone through the whole thread so i apologise if this has been adressed, but are there any reviews/impressions of the Madcatz controller thats being released? I'm not so interested in the game but really like the look of the pad and thought it might be good for L4D2 :D
Don't buy Madcatz stuff. Ever.

nib95

Banned
Zinthar said:
Ah, Nibs, I remember you from the IGN forums from a few years ago (I was also Zinthar there) from a number of epic arguments that we had, so in deference to that I'd be happy to help you out.

According to the last post in this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-live/931532-xbox-live-gold-question.html, the 1, 3, and 12 month subs are not region locked.

I'm an Amazon prime customer and they have 12 month cards for $39.49 US (http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Month-Live-Gold-Card/dp/B0029LJIFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1257720033&sr=8-1). If that works for you, PM me and I'll give you my paypal email and order one -- I'd have it by Wednesday evening w/ the free prime shipping.

Actually, I may get two, my XBL is up in January.

Hmm, that's too late lol. Need it tomorrow 12pm GMT really. What about eBay? Don't people PM codes over to save shipping time? I'd be willing to forward over money for that. Whatever is quickest really. But $40 is still cheaper than what I'd pay in the UK so it's all good. I appreciate you taking the time out to help.

Az

My initial thought was that for example a helicopter, or whatever killstreak you get will not help towards another killstreak. Watching that nuke video proves otherwise so I believe we'll see nukes quite a bit.

AnIco

nskinnear said:
I shall await their perfect score.

Wouldn't count on it if their Uncharted 2 review is any indication of how they feel about games that don't do anything new.

Either that, or it'll score really highly and they'll just be hypocrites which wouldn't surprise me.

RavenFox

Banned
AnIco said:
Wouldn't count on it if their Uncharted 2 review is any indication of how they feel about games that don't do anything new.

Either that, or it'll score really highly and they'll just be hypocrites which wouldn't surprise me.
I hope they read your post because I know somehow their going to pile on the BS as to why they will give this game a higher score.

Robot 492

Banned
I wasn't hyped about this game at all yesterday. Then all this MP footage got leaked and I'm fucking psyched about this game. If only I had the money :(

CcrooK said:
Oh no you didn't!
lol

I'm sorry. Are there people here who like Madcatz stuff? I'm just going off my own experiences with their piece of shit controllers D:

AnIco said:

I honestly can't see the game getting below a 9.5. Maybe a 9, but I'm expecting somewhere between a 9.5 and a 10.

kaskade

zero2000 said:

I'm wondering if their review is just going to spoil the whole campaign. They are getting closer and closer to just showing the whole games during their reviews.

AnIco

nskinnear said:
I honestly can't see the game getting below a 9.5. Maybe a 9, but I'm expecting somewhere between a 9.5 and a 10.

I couldn't see Uncharted 2 getting below a 9.5 either, but they did it.

I bet it scores above a 9, but I wouldn't expect 9.5 and above, again -- if the Uncharted 2 review is anything to go by.

I guess I expect a 9.0-9.2

AnIco said:
I couldn't see Uncharted 2 getting below a 9.5 either, but they did it.

I bet it scores above a 9, but I wouldn't expect 9.5 and above, again -- if the Uncharted 2 review is anything to go by.

I guess I expect a 9.0-9.2
Absolutely nothing can score higher than Uncharted 2!

Alpha_eX

midwestern_stylings said:
for the UK'ers, Sainsbury's is apparently selling it for £26 at midnight

also found on hotdealsuk

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6961/mw2i.jpg

I tried to get this today, someone put it behind the counter for me at that price, when I got there, they had been sent to lunch and the manager had to explain the guy made two mistakes, reserving it for a pick up and selling it early.

I went home without the game but got a £10 gift card for my troubles and one reserved for the release, so i'll be getting it for £16, nice!

Aw I called my GS and they said I could pick up the game if I had it reserved but I was upstate playing paintball and didn't make it back before they close! So close to a whole night of MW2!

AnIco

Dax01 said:
Absolutely nothing can score higher than Uncharted 2!

Well, according to GameTrailers' game reviewing philosophy, Uncharted 2 is "the highest that sort of game can expect to score".

And when they say "that sort of game" they mean one that does nothing new, but merely polishes what's already out there. Modern Warfare 2 easily fits in that definition, and thus it should be held to the same standard, no? Meaning, the highest it can expect to score is a 9.3.

Here's the direct quote:

Now, honestly, there was nothing original in Uncharted 2. To be perfectly honest with you, the 9.3 that game got is about as high a score as a game like that is ever going to get on GameTrailers and that’s the bottom line.

So, I suppose the only games (from now on) that get above a 9.3 have to do something substantially original.

AnIco said:
Well, according to GameTrailers' game reviewing philosophy, Uncharted 2 is "the highest that sort of game can expect to score".

And when they say "that sort of game" they mean one that does nothing new, but merely polishes what's already out there. Modern Warfare 2 easily fits in that definition, and thus it should be held to the same standard, no? Meaning, the highest it can expect to score is a 9.3.

Here's the direct quote:

So, I suppose the only games (from now on) that get above a 9.3 have to do something substantially original.
It couldn't have meant the highest score for that particular genre. Oh no.

Dabanton

Hmm I've heard about that Sainsburys deal,but don't most Sainsbury's close at 23.00?

I'm going with ASDA yeah it's £32 but that's a pretty reasonable price and i know they are going to be open 24hrs. It's worth the extra £6 pounds for me to have it a few hours earlier.:lol

Kibbles

The end-credits mission is set in
Encino, California. Ironically enough, that's where my copy of MW2 came from.
:lol

AnIco said:
The genre where you go from point A to point B shooting things?
Because jumping and shooting from point A to point B is so much better? See, I can make something sound so much fun not really anything, too.

Are a joke character?

AnIco

Dax01 said:
Because jumping and shooting from point A to point B is so much better?

Are a joke character?

Are you dense?

My point was that Uncharted 2 and MW2 have a lot in common. They're both finely crafted linear experiences. They both don't necessarily do anything new, but they refine established mechanics and gaming concepts.

Dabanton said:
Hmm I've heard about that Sainsburys deal,but don't most Sainsbury's close at 23.00?

I'm going with ASDA yeah it's £32 but that's a pretty reasonable price and i know they are going to be open 24hrs. It's worth the extra £6 pounds for me to have it a few hours earlier.:lol

Yeah even 39.99 would be reasonable to me considering the inflated pricing for MW2.

I'm going to a 24/7 tescos, fingers crossed they price match with the other two super markets.

Top Bottom